PFS 3-13 QfP3: Defenders of Nesting Swallows by GM Lupulus (Inactive)

Game Master Lupulus


1 to 50 of 260 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

The action picks up after our last adventure. With the Braid of a Hundred Masters and important herbs and incense in your possession, you are making your way across Shokoro to look for one who can reactivate the braid.

Tedium has become a constant companion in the countryside of Shokuro. The roads have dwindled in size and maintenance as the days have passed; what was a wide, stone-paved highway near the river towns has become a narrow, winding track of dust, sometimes fading entirely into the surrounding terrain. Travelers along it have likewise grown scarce as the days drone on. Still, the journey’s end lies no more than half a day’s travel away, in the village of Nesting Swallow, a hamlet so small it could easily vanish into a crease on a map. No more than a few more miles through these sparsely wooded hills and valleys rests the last known home of Master Li Yao, and here, with luck, his descendant still lives. In this speck of farmland may be found one who can, by right of blood, bring forth the forgotten power of the Braid of a Hundred Masters.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura is diligent and records their progress in her journal.

“Are you all ready for Nesting Swallow?“ the Aphorite asks while her whole form is shining with metallic hues due to the sun’s reflection.

Her silver and golden skin flickers and periodically coruscates with sparkling crystalline dust that has an exotic appeal.

Her silver eyes lack any pupils and her hair shines with golden colors.

She sporadically pets her hedgehog familiar but the little magical creature realizes that there is sense of urgency and obviously feels threatened, so it just rolls up into a spiny ball as a defense mechanism. Most of the time the familiar remains underneath Sakura’s clothing.


Male N Large Horse/”Unicorn” | Animal Companion Mount | HP 38/38| AC 21T 11 FF 19 | CMB +8, CMD 20 (24 vs. trip) | F: +8, R (Evasion): +6, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 Speed 50 ft | Active conditions: None

Asb is trying her best to walk on this tricky road while Sakura is still on her back.

But Sakura's white steed - that has a strange horn on its forehead - seems to be more joyful than her owner.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

"Mmn," comes Kiyoko's reply.

The young Tian-Min woman plods along with the party as their trail turns from stone pavement to dust and grass. Stony-faced, her chin-length platinum bob and icy-blue eyes only seem to enhance the unapproachable aura that seems to radiate off of her--the distinctive beauty mark to the right of her chin may be the only thing that makes her look more like a painting than an ice statue. Outfitted in a short red kimono, thigh-high tabi stockings, and zori sandals, she is armored in leather lamellar armor. A samurai's customary daisho rests at her hip.

As they continue their trek, she keeps a vigilant watch on their surroundings. Though she hardly expected trouble as their journey came to its end, she would not let her guard down prematurely. Still, a hot bath once this is over will be nice.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

The black-feathered tengu man's step feels lighter as he is wearing brand new mithral armor. Thin cloak is covering his back and tricorne hat his head. "Ready to go!" he answers to Sakura with a serene voice

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 33/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar walks in step with the rest of his companions. With each passing mile along the dust filled tracts and paths his scowled has deepened.

Sakura wrote:
“Are you all ready for Nesting Swallow?“

Elemenar scoffs. "I'm not at all sure what you are expecting to find. We'll be fortunate if there is something that could be called an inn with proper places to sleep and eat. And even if such a place exists, it is beyond all hope to expect anything but flea ridden mattresses, moldy blankets, and some watered down rice soup."

The travels have made Elemenar even more grumpy than normal. He glances at the soiled hem of his robe and tries to shake some of the dust off. Not for the first time regretting that he didn't take the time at the beginning of the day to prepare the magic needed to clean things. He grunts and keeps moving.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None |Concentration: +6

Finishing up his warm up kata Ki Chin feels something climb up his leg, his back and settle on his shoulders. Turning his face to look at his passenger he is greeted by the golden muzzle of his familiar. "I had wondered where you went off to. Ready for the journey?" the magus asked his familiar as he give her a few head scratches.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura looks at Ki Chin and smiles.

“I didn’t know that you had a familiar… what’s your story?! Haven’t heard much about your history Ki Chin?!“ she asks.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Link Ki Chin is free to introduce his familiar and describe himself retroactively.

Meanwhile:

You have nearly reached Nesting Swallow, and have begun to pass through the farms on the outskirts of the village. At first seeming unremarkable, an eerie silence permeates the countryside. A forboding feeling that all is not well sets in.

Cresting a rise, the trail winds its way up a small hillock that overlooks a large valley beyond. Not far from the hill, a dead mule and overturned cart lie in the middle of the road, two cloaked figures rummaging through the spilled contents of the cart while making disapproving cawing noises to a pair of similarly dressed riders on horseback. Two other horses stand on the side of the road, presumably mounts for the two on foot. The mounted figures loom over a half-dozen shabbily dressed peasants. One of the riders urges his horse forward and makes a threatening slash at the face of a man trying to shield several children behind him.

You have not yet been noticed, but overhear the croaking voice of one of the cloaked figures speaking in Tien. "You want to run? Leave early? We won’t stop you. But it costs! Gold, silver, where is it?" The speaker sounds tengu, and as you look a bit better you see the 4 cloaked figures all are tengu.

Slide 4!
You are as yet unnoticed as they are distracted. Do you want to roll in with a surprise round, announce yourself to the gathered parties, or fall back over the hill to take the time to plan and strategize while whatever happens here unfolds?

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura rides forward at high speed to prevent the Tengu from hurting innocents!

Move action on horse in the surprise round.

Sakura draws her greatsword!

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Well, looks like we went for 'roll in with a surprise round'.

Kiyoko hastens after Sakura.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Initiative:

Kiyoko Tamahi Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Lin Ki Chin Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
To-to-obika Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Elemenar Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Sakura Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Red Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Orange Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Purple Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Blue Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Perceptions:

Red: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 10 - 4 = 8
Orange: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 4 = 24
Purple: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 10 - 4 = 21
Blue: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 10 - 4 = 18

Despite their distraction, two of the kenku presumed bandits notice the party just as they begin their descent. Orange and Purple get to act in the surprise round.

pick targets:
who they notice: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

They each fire a shot from a shortbow, one at Ki Chin and the other at Kiyoko.
shortbow at Ki Chin: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 damage, sneak: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (4) = 10
shortbow at Kiyoko: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 damage, sneak: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + (4) = 9

Ki Chin takes a surprise arrow to the shoulder.

Sakura and Kiyoko start their charge.

** Suprise Round **
Orange
Purple
Sakura
-> Toto
-> Elemenar
Kiyoko
Red (surprised)
-> Ki Chin (-10)
Blue (surprised)

To-to, Ki Chin, and Elemenar can make their surprise round standard OR move action.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None |Concentration: +6

Moving from scratching the fox's head to petting its' fur Ki Chin replies. "I was born in Nanzhu, Minkai. Youngest of five sons and the only one not borne by the main wife, I decided to learn the family style of martial arts. Once I was declared good enough by the grandmaster I went out to look for my half-sister who got separated from my mother when they fled Chu Ye. The clues I managed to find said she joined the Pathfinder Society so here I am." he says with a shrug.

"This little one is Mei. I found her in a village called Highdelve. She was just a regular fox but as later blessed by a dragon giving her golden fur."

**************************************************************************
Ki Chin ignores the wound on his shoulder only taking a moment to break the arrow before joining Kiyoko.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

To-to draws sword and strides toward the tengus. Move action

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 33/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

"Seriously? We just run right in?" Elemenar shakes his head then takes a moment to cast magical protection on himself.

Used my surprise round action to cast Mage Armor.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

As the party moves in, the tengu bandits fire more arrows as they reposition themselves. Sakura high on her horse makes for the most attractive target.

Orange shortbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Purple shortbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Both shots miss however.

** Round 1 **
Orange
Purple
-> Sakura
-> Toto
-> Elemenar
-> Kiyoko
Red
Ki Chin (-10)
Blue

Sakura, Toto, Elemenar, and Kiyoko are all up!

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura rides forward on her horse and attacks .

“Stop hurting these innocents!!!!!!“ she shouts when she sees the cruel Tengu.

She strikes at the aggressor with all her might.

Adamantium greatsword, power attack : 1d20 - 2 + 9 ⇒ (19) - 2 + 9 = 262d6 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 2) + 6 + 6 = 19
crit? : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 222d6 + 12 ⇒ (4, 6) + 12 = 22

She then also directs Asb to attack.

handle animal DC 10 : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Male N Large Horse/”Unicorn” | Animal Companion Mount | HP 38/38| AC 21T 11 FF 19 | CMB +8, CMD 20 (24 vs. trip) | F: +8, R (Evasion): +6, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 Speed 50 ft | Active conditions: None

Asb also strikes the Tengu!

hoof : 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 141d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Sakura's sword cuts right through the tengu's neck. Red is down.

Toto, Elemenar, Kiyoko

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Kiyoko breaks into a run, drawing her katana as she nears the other mounted tengu.

Double move.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 33/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar moves forward as quickly as he can.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

Toto runs to the left of Sakura and reaches one of the tengus.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Turns out Ki Chin is up now too now that red is dead.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None |Concentration: +6

Moving in a little closer Ki Chin launches a bolt of acid at blue.
Acid Splash: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Ki Chin's acid strikes its mark, damaging blue.

Blue readies a full attack against Kiyoko for when a flank is possible.

Orange strikes at the opposing tengu with slashing sword and beak.
wakizashi: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
bite: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3 damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
But both attacks miss and the bandit 5 foot steps around the side of Toto.

Purple charges on his mount toward Kiyoko.
wakizashi: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
The blade misses, but the horse continues its charge to surround Kiyoko with Ride-By Attack so Kiyoko gets no AoO.

With an ally in flanking position, blue launches their assault on the samurai.
wakizashi: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23 damage, sneak: 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (5) = 10
bite: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) - 1 + 2 = 8 damage, sneak: 1d3 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (3) = 8
The blade bites, but the bite misses. Kiyoko takes 10 damage.

** Round 2 **
Orange
Purple
Blue (-3)
-> Sakura
-> Toto
-> Elemenar
-> Kiyoko (-10)
-> Ki Chin (-10)

Sakura, To-to, Elemenar, Kiyoko, and Ki Chin are all up!

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 33/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar scans the small battle field. The mounted tengu seem to be the biggest problem. He focuses on the near one flanking Kiyoko and casts a spell covering the back of the horse in a slimy coating of grease.

Cast Grease on the horse's back to see if I can get the tengu (purple) to slide off. The DC for saves is 15. I know that this is not an entirely conventional use of Grease and I'm not sure who would do the saves (the horse, the tengu, both?) but I'll leave that up to the GM to decide.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura rides forward on her horse and attacks .

“Stop hurting Kiyoko!!!!!!“ she shouts when she sees the Tengu attack her.

She strikes at the aggressor with all her might.

Adamantium greatsword, power attack : 1d20 - 2 + 9 ⇒ (16) - 2 + 9 = 232d6 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 6) + 6 + 6 = 21

She then also directs Asb to attack…

handle animal DC 10 : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

… but the horse does not understand.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Reitenseiya, two-handed Power Attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 - 2 = 17
1d8 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23

Kiyoko switches to a two-handed grip on her katana, then slashes at the mounted tengu closest to the townsfolk (blue).


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
The tengu rider manages to maneuver so the grease cannot spread over the horse's saddle.

But Sakura and Kiyoko each drop a tengu in one blow.

Only orange remains.

Ki Chin and To-to are up!

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None |Concentration: +6

Ki Chin moves to back up the tengu sending a bolt of acid at orange.
Acid Splash: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

To-to begins with fake attack followed by swing of sword.

improved feint: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
+1 longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
slashing: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Ki Chin's acid hits, but To-to's sword misses as his foe does not fall for the ruse.

Orange decides his chances of survival are slim to none so he tries to escape.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Ride: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
He successfully tumbles out of To-to's threatened area and fast mounts his horse, and takes off through the forest.

** Round 3 **
Orange (-3, retreating)
-> Sakura
-> Toto
-> Elemenar
-> Kiyoko (-10)
-> Ki Chin (-10)

Orange is mounted and 20 feet off the map, clearly in retreat. Do you want to give chase or see to the family here?

Everyone is up if they choose to chase.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Ride: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Kiyoko leaps into the saddle of the mount whose rider she slew, then takes off after the fleeing tengu.

Failed the Fast Mount, so move action to mount, then the mount double-moves after the tengu through the forest.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura moves on her horse to get the rider.

Not sure if I can get to the rider with a double move 50 ft speed on Asb.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Oh I don't know mount rules terribly well, so if a mount can double move when the rider only has a single move or standard, then the bandit is +50 feet more off the field.

Or I guess the horse can even use the run action? Unless someone can correct me, I'll say bandit's horse uses the run action, and Kiyoko's does too, so Kiyoko is currently 40 feet behind the bandit (no matter what actions the horses can use when a rider has already spent their move action).

Edit: Sakura is basically side-by-side with Kiyoko.

Bandit is 170 feet off the map, and Kiyoko and Sakura are 40 feet behind it.
Elemenar, Ki Chin, To-to are up


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

After hearing feedback on the disco, sounds like the mounts should be just taking double move, and not running, so amending the "off the map" distance from 170 to 70 feet.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 33/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar rolls his eyes when he sees the tengu flee. He stretches his hand out towards the creature and a tiny ball of flame shoots forward. It leaves a thin trail of black smoke in the air. When it impacts with the tengu there is a large explosion of flame.

As requested, fireball at tengu.

dmg: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 6, 1, 6, 4) = 18 DC 19 Reflex for half


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

tengu reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
horse reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

The fireball ignites right in front of the fleeing tengu. When the smoke clears, you see a badly injured horse fleeing, and a rider slide off the saddle, motionless as the smoking corpse hits the ground.

Combat over.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Kiyoko tugs on the horse’s reins and pulls up short as she sees the fleeing tengu fall. She performs a chiburui slash to clear her blade of blood and then resheathes it. Wheeling about, she brings her “borrowed” mount back to the road.

What is going on here?” she asks one of the townsfolk.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

The group of townsfolk consists of an old man, a younger man and woman, and two children.

The old man in the group steps forward and offers his thanks. "You have my gratitude travelers, I do not think my family here would have survived this encounter without your timely intervention."

"I am Xien Wun Lao, and this is my daughter and her family. What is going on here is an ongoing infestation of banditry. I must admit, we had thought to flee our home - the town of Nesting Swallow, to escape its doom. These bandits you defeated are but a small part of a much larger group, and when they rob the town of its meager harvest in the coming days, it will likely spell starvation over the winter for many in the village."

"You are doubtless to pass through the town are you not? Perhaps you are destined for Nesting Swallow for some purpose? Gods willing, that purpose might just be salvation. It is clear to me at least that escape from our situation is not an option."

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None |Concentration: +6

Not being much of a rider Ki Chin did not give chase but instead stayed near the family in case of any other attackers.

*************************************************************************
"Yes, we are passing through. We will do our best to eradicate the bandits. Where do these bandits stay?" the magus asks.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

"Mmn." The Tian-Min sword saint (You know, it'd be kind of funny, in a confusing sort of way, to refer to Kiyo as 'the Tian-Min kensai,' since that's what the term translated as 'sword saint' is...) looks around at the fallen tengu bandits, then at Xien. "How large?"

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura bows as a sign of respect after she dismounts.

"We are willing to help but our duty is to find a descendant of Master Li Yao ... we heard that he lived in Nesting Swallow. Do you know who his descendants are?" she asks curiously.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

Toto bows gently "Defeating bandits so common people could live in peace is my passion. But as my friend said, we have come here to find descendant of Master Li Yao. Maybe we could help each other?"


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Xien Wun Lao seems much more upbeat the more you talk to him, though his news is also grave. "Oh the bandits number in the dozens. Enough that they have a circuit of villages to plunder at their whim. If they have a permanent home I don't know it, for they move from town to town to take what they want. None around here have adequate defenses you see, as the kingdom is too busy defending the borders from Lingshen and the like. We would welcome whatever help you can offer, but I assure you that going up against them all by yourselves would be a suicide mission."

He raises an eyebrow at your mention of Master Li Yao. "Yes, the old master's blood does run through our town. You should be able to find the answers you seek in Nesting Swallow."

The old man stretches his arms out for a moment and exhales heavily. "Look at the way I'm talking, I suppose I was both cowardly and foolish to think I could leave our problems behind and escape. Let me introduce you to our our council. Perhaps you can meet the one you are looking for and we can discuss how you might be able to help us turn these bandits away."

Do you have any other questions for him or wish to head into town now?

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Kiyoko nods to the old man. “An introduction would be good.” Deciding to keep her war-prize (her newly acquired horse, that is), she follows along on horseback.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 41/41 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura nods and follows the man.

diplomacy information gathering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

During the walk to the town she tries to learn more about the village and the important people in town.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Along the way Xien Wun Lao answers Sakura's questions about the town. It's a poor farming community, of less than 100 people. There isn't one central leader, but several of the important families are represented on a council, of which he himself is one.

You make your way to Nesting Swallow with the old man and his family, arriving a little before sunset. As you approach from atop one final hill, the object of your quest comes into view. From this height, the village of Nesting Swallow is laid out almost like a map. The small town consists of little more than a few dozen huts encircling an open common area. Rolling hills surround the village to the north and west, while the east is bordered by a light forest. South of the village, the brush has been cleared, and a long string of paddy fields stretches out into the distance, webbed with irrigation ditches branching off from a stream that separates the village from the farmlands.

The villagers seem wary of strangers, but your escort seems to be a man of some importance, and some greet him as "Councilor." Xien escorts you to his family's yurt, which seems to have been hastily packed up. "Please relax, have some food while I arrange a meeting with the council." The Xien family offers a modest meal mostly of rice and millet.

I'll move along automatically later but giving a chance now for whatever reactions you have so far.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

After you have had a chance to eat, you are escorted across the village common to another building. This hut differs from every other one in the village only in size, easily twice as large as most of the other dwellings. Otherwise, it is identical, being another slightly elevated circle of bamboo and wicker walls surrounding a packed earthen floor. The interior has some rooms partitioned off the main one, and the collection of furniture and possessions indicates that this is another family home when not in use for official purposes. Against one wall stands a simple shrine with a collection of clay tiles hung from it, each bearing a different name. The lowest hanging tiles look quite new, a few months old, maybe. The highest and oldest tile on the shrine, however, bears the name “Li Yao.”

The center of the room is cleared, and an assortment of cushions has been laid out in a semicircle. A dozen or so old men and women sit on the cushions, Xien Wun Lao among them. A woman standing in front of the shrine finishes a prayer and turns to join the seated elders; she is clearly the youngest among them, not even middle-aged, in spite of a face beset by worry and a hard life. Her youth is attested by the fact that she is greatly pregnant; six or more months along. After settling down into an empty place among the council, she motions to several empty seats opposite her.


Je Tsun, Councilor in Nesting Swallow and Heir of Li Yao

Once you are comfortable or if even if you clearly choose to remain standing, she says "Xien Wun Lao has told me how you saved his family - you have the gratittude of all the village. He also told me of what you seek to find here in Nesting Swallow."

She quietly smiles and resumes "With that in mind, permit me to introduce myself. I am Je Tsun, and the last of Li Yao’s descendants.” She rubs a hand across her swollen belly as she says this and smiles slightly. “At least for now. So, perhaps you look upon me and see the end of a quest. I look upon you, and I see hope. Hope for my village, my family, and our future. You have become familiar with the troubles facing us?"

Portrait up for Je Tsun in slides

"Whether you are here in answer to the prayers of our people or simply here at this time by happenstance is beside the point; you are here. And it is within your power to help us. I tell you now, we have little to offer as incentive. This is a poor village even when not beset by misfortunes, and this year has been less fortunate than most. If you can save us from these tengus, we can offer you food, shelter, and whatever other aid we may give you. But as for a reward, the only thing I can offer is that which you came here for in the first place. Defeat our enemies, and I will bring this relic of my ancestor’s to life for you. I am sorry we do not have more to offer than hospitality, but our need remains: will you help us? Our people are not warriors but every able bodied man and woman would be your army. We do not have a fortress, but we would fortify our home to make a stand against the bandits when they arrive."

What she is asking for is aid in planning and preparing defenses, and of course you would be the strongest fighters in the battle.

1 to 50 of 260 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS 3-13 QfP3: Defenders of Nesting Swallows by GM Lupulus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.