PFS 3-11 QfP2: On Hostile Waters by GM Lupulus (Inactive)

Game Master Lupulus


1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Here begins part two of the Quest for Percecttion, feel free to dot'n'delete


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

The adventure starts off with you on a boat, the Laughing Crow. You are in transit already, but we immediately transition to a flashback with Amara Li, Venture Captain, for the briefing that you already had!

It’s been three days since parting ways with Venture-Captain Amara Li, and the journey along the Tuunma River has been unusually quiet so far, with the two-masted junk called the Laughing Crow holding up surprisingly well, especially considering its simple design and relatively minute size. The journey has been peaceful so far, the endless processions of sand dunes and clear skies proving remarkably contrary to many of the warnings Amara Li provided during the meeting with her nearly half a week ago.
“No time to rest, Pathfinders!” she exclaimed late one night, barging into the bedroom of the ramshackle tavern in Goka. “I’ve looked into the situation surrounding the relic you found, the Braid of a Hundred Masters. As you may have noticed, the artifact appears to have been dormant for many years now, and in this state it’s essentially worthless to us.

"Fortunately, it can be reactivated, but only by the descendant of the braid’s last master, who, as you may know, was the master of the Clouded Path Monastery many years ago, a man by the name of Li Yao. I’ve discovered the whereabouts of his final living descendant—a woman by the name of Je Tsuin—but she now resides in the nation of Shokuro to the east, far from where her ancestor taught in his monastery in the Wall of Heaven. In order to reactivate the sacred relic, you’ll need to travel to the village of Nesting Swallow in Shokuro and find Je Tsuin to perform the necessary ritual.

“Unfortunately,” she continued, “we’re not the only group interested in Iroran artifacts. Our operatives claim that Lingshen, the Successor State to the southeast, is after the relic as well. Since Lingshen’s armies have a stranglehold on the overland routes from here to Shokuro, you’ll have to travel by river. Riding the Tuunma is faster anyway, though you might run into some hostile Mutabi-qi or goblinoids along the way. The river empties into the Sea of Eels—cross it and you’re in Shokuro, and from there you can follow the map I’ve provided to reach Nesting Swallow.

“Ah, before I forget, you’ll also need you to make a quick stop along the way. The ritual requires a large amount of rare incense—more than I could easily procure from any of my local suppliers—so I’ve contacted a nomadic tribe in Shaguang, the Jhemulit, and they have agreed to provide you with the prepared herbs. I’ve already paid their shaman, a man named Ogokai, and I’ve marked their approximate location on your map, so it’s simply a matter of picking up the incense on your way to Shokuro.”

See the images of Amara Li and the Braid of a Hundred Masters in the "Map & Slides" link in my sig.

The party is free to ask retroactively any questions of Amara Li, same as any introductory briefing.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

At the tavern in Goka: A young Tian-Min woman is in the middle of polishing her jet-black katana's blade as Amara Li barges in. She tenses momentarily as she sits on her bed, but recognizes the Venture-Captain and relaxes. Looking at the Tian-Min, she brings to mind nothing so much as the beauty of an ice sculpture. She is possessed of icy blue eyes and an equally icy demeanor, looking upon her surroundings with cold indifference through the bangs of a chin-length platinum bob. The woman is slender, with the lithe and toned body of a martial artist or swordswoman, and the calloused hands to match. She has a distinctive beauty mark to the right of her chin.

The woman is attired in a short red kimono, thigh-high tabi stockings, and the zori sandals of Minkai; a suit of leather lamellar armor and the other half of her daisho, a wakizashi, are within arm's reach of the bed, as is the rest of her assorted gear.

She resheathes her katana, Reitenseiya, and sets it aside as she listens to the Venture-Captain explain the situation to the party.

"The armies of Lingshen are one thing, Li-dono. Can we expect others from Lingshen to bar our way on the river route?"

On the Laughing Crow: Now attired in her leather lamellar armor, the Tian-Min samurai listlessly paces the small watercraft. I do not like how quiet this trip has been, Kiyoko thinks to herself. Then, she continues her thoughts aloud, "The calm before a storm."

Not that she minded the proverbial storm--she would welcome the chance to cross blades with a worthy opponent. If only one would show up. Preferably one that did not try to pull her into the river and drown her.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

At the tavern in Goka:
Sakura and her spiny brown Hedgehog wake up and are ready fast.

Sakura’s whole form has metallic hues. Her silver and golden skin flickers and periodically coruscates with sparkling crystalline dust that has an exotic appeal. Her silver eyes lack any pupils and her hair shines with golden colors.

When the hedgehog realizes that there is sense of urgency it obviously feels threatened, and rolls up into a spiny ball as a defense mechanism.

"Does the descendant of the Iroran master know that we are coming and does the herbalist know that we will pick up the package for the ritual?" asks the young woman with a neutral facial expression void of emotion.

She thinks after hearing Kiyoko. "All information you have on the enemies we can face, either monsters or Lingshen’s forces that are following us would be appreciated!" she says and looks at herself suddenly. Her body looks strong but not quite agile.

"I am not a good swimmer so we better not sink on the ship!" she says and it is clear that she does not have a natural presence and comes across as cold and distant sometimes.

Her full plate armor and shield as well as the great sword that is attached to her wrist with a very fine chain show that she is a warrior.

Facing Amara-Li she bows.

“I am ready for the mission.“ she says.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

At the tavern:
A somewhat harried looking Lin Ki Chin hurriedly enters the bedroom following the Venture-Captain. "Yo!" the magus says in greeting as he sees Sakura and Kiyoko after catching his breath.

"Is Je Tsuin a practitioner? We might have trouble if we go all the way there and she up being a baker. Also, what do we know about Mutabi-qi. I must admit that I have never encountered such creatures before. " He says in agreement with Kiyoko as he sits down and picks up a golden furred fox and starts petting it.

At Sakura's comment about sinking: "That makes two of us. I am not much of a swimmer either."


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points
Kiyoko asked wrote:
"The armies of Lingshen are one thing, Li-dono. Can we expect others from Lingshen to bar our way on the river route?"

“Our agents know of no specific watch on the river, but the river runs along Lingshen's border so be prepared to encounter patrols. They’ve got the largest and mightiest army in all of Tian Xia, their soldiers fight with fanatical devotion, and they’ll only offer you one chance to surrender—after that, they show no mercy. I’d avoid them if at all possible, but if confronted, your only option might be to fight.”

Sakura asked wrote:
"Does the descendant of the Iroran master know that we are coming and does the herbalist know that we will pick up the package for the ritual?"

“We have only discovered that this woman - Je Tsun - is the last living descendant of Li Yao, and therefore the only one who can activate the braid. We have not made contact, so she will not be expecting you.”

"As far as the herbs, we have already paid their shaman so you merely need to pick up the herbs. They are nomadic, but should be found near the river."

Sakura asked wrote:
"All information you have on the enemies we can face, either monsters or Lingshen’s forces that are following us would be appreciated!"

Aside the information about Lingshen and Mutabi-qi, Amara Li can go into a little more detail about the goblinoids.

“The second half of your trip will take you along the border of Kaoling, which was seized by hobgoblins shortly after the fall of Imperial Lung Wa. The hobgoblins probably won’t bother you provided you don’t venture inland, but even less civilized monsters are said to lurk around the border.”

Lin Ki Chin asked wrote:
"Is Je Tsuin a practitioner? We might have trouble if we go all the way there and she up being a baker. Also, what do we know about Mutabi-qi. I must admit that I have never encountered such creatures before."

"We do not know much about Je Tsun. But it is our belief that her heritage alone should be sufficient, in any case she is the only option."

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

At the tavern: Finely dressed tengu man enters room same time as Sakura and Lin Ki Chin. His scale mail is finely polished.

"But what if we are unable to persuade her to perform this ritual? Or she has died? The power of artifact will be lost." To-to asks "I can't swim either."

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

With Amara …

Sakura shrugs.

“Lot’s of questions. Good. We will find answers. Then let’s take the ship!!“

~

Now …

Sakura starts to familiarize herself with the ship and its crew.

She introduces herself and tries to create a good atmosphere to find out more about the crew and their objectives.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 28/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

With Amara The tall elf, Elemenar, stands with his back against the wall of the squalid room and with his arms crossed. He is careful not to lean against the wall lest any of the grime get on his clothing. He listens to the description of their next mission. Once again, this sounds like an easy mission but his experience has always been that the easy sounding ones are the hardest. The others ask questions and Elemenar is satisfied simply to wait for those answers.

One the boat It has been three days now. Three days stuck on this tiny boat. Elemenar sits in his customary position at the stern of the boat. There is not much for him to do other than wait.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

missed this one:

Lin Ki Chin wrote:
Also, what do we know about Mutabi-qi. I must admit that I have never encountered such creatures before.

"That’s what the nomad tribes of Shaguang call themselves. Most are pretty aggressive toward outsiders, but if you can make friendly contact, you’ll find them very hospitable. They travel from oasis to oasis across Shaguang, and frequently make stops along the Tuunma River to water their horses.”

Shaguang is the big desert, Mutabi-qi are nomadic humans

To-to-obika wrote:
""But what if we are unable to persuade her to perform this ritual? Or she has died? The power of artifact will be lost."

"That is certainly the danger should this mission fail. We have one chance at this, so your task is crucial."


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

That was where things left off with Amara Li. Or nearly so. After giving you time to pack up your things, she ushered you to the Laughing Crow. It is a modest two-masted junk with a stylized crow painted along its bow. The deck of the Laughing Crow is sunbleached and worn from weeks of exposure to the harsh mountain winds. The rigging and sails look to be in much better condition, having recently been replaced. A large hatch above the bow leads to the fore cargo hold, while a smaller hatch midship leads to the midship cargo hold. The fore cargo area is set up to stable any mounts or large animals the PCs have that won’t fit abovedeck.

It also is devoid of a crew - until you step aboard. Seeing the party's reactions and recalling all the concern over lack of swimming abilities, Amara Li chuckles slightly.
"Don't worry. Can you hold a rudder? Then you can sail the Laughing Crow. She isn’t a particularly difficult ship to handle. There might be a couple stretches of the Tuunma that give you a little trouble, but I’m sure you’ll manage."

Outside of any challenging encounters, there aren't any skill checks for general navigation. A driver is needed at the rudder, and during any kind of challenge, as a Move Action they need to make a driving check - their choice of Knowledge (nature) or Profession (sailor) skill or a Wisdom check.

You need to determine who will be your primary driver, and have some idea of who can fill in as backups. You can discuss and decide here or discord if that's easier.

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura is a little scared that they crew is the team.

She leads her white steed Asb into the cargo deck and tries to calm the animal regularly.

“I will be here for you my friend!!“ she says to the animal.

~

When they inspect the ship Sakura tries to show that she can maneuver but not in challenging times.

Kn nature +4

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

As they boarded the Laughing Crow: Kiyoko looks to the elven wizard in the party expectantly. "Have you read a book on how to sail a river junk before, Elemenar?" she asks drily.

Seems like Elemenar as primary pilot and Sakura as back-up is the best bet.

In the present: The Tian-Min samurai continues to pace the deck restlessly. As she does so, she keeps a wary eye out for threats from the river-banks--or the river itself.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

Ki Chin takes a look around the ship in interest while the others decide who will pilot. "The ship is magical? Surely a regular ship cannot be that easy to navigate?"


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

The Laughing Crow apparently is just a very easy ship to navigate down the river, no magic needed.

You have now been on the river for several days that have been basically noneventful. Today you are going through a stretch of river known as the Kogendu Basin. The river slows as it leaves the sandy highlands and winds its way between the rolling hills of this dry, grassy basin. The breeze that blows from the north is dusty and warm, and a thicket of short gnarled trees lines the shore.

Party Perception:

Kiyoko Tamahi Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Lin Ki Chin Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
To-to-obika Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Elemenar Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Sakura Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Initiative:

Kiyoko Tamahi Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Lin Ki Chin Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
To-to-obika Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Elemenar Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Sakura Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
Red: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Orange: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Green: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Blue: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Purple: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Kiyoko is distracted but the rest of you hear hoofbeats and see 5 archers on horseback crest the hill on the side of the river. The red one in their back appears slightly better equipped and shouts orders to the other four. Their weapons are drawn and arrows start to fly.

Lin, Toto, Elmenar, and Sakura can act in this surprise round, so either standard or move action.
During Combat, the pilot will need to make that driving check each round, or risk mishaps! It's a move action.

Orange raider fires an arrow at Kiyoko, who hadn't been paying enough attention to that side of the boat.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
But the arrow flies long and splashes harmlessly into the water.

** SURPRISE Round **
Kiyoko - surprised
Orange
-> Sakura
-> Elmenar
Green
Toto
Purple
Lin
Red Leader
Blue

Sakura and Elmenar are up for standard or move action. We are on Slide 4.

It's been a while since I ran one of these, so lemme know if anything seems off!

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura takes out her sling and takes a 5 ft step.

“Who are you?!?“ she shouts.

You are doing great GM!! Seems like riding a bike … you obviously don’t forget. ;-)

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

"Hold your fire! We're Pathfinders! Friendlies!" Ki Chin shouts as he takes cover behind the mast.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

Toto draws his sword while running to stairs behind Kiyoko.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

We're in initiative, Lin and Toto. You both do get to act in the surprise round once Elmenar and then some enemies go, but I can take your movement as your turn then.

These archers on horseback fit the description of Mutabi-qi more than any other threat mentioned by Amara Li. She mentioned that they are often aggressive, and this has the hallmarks of an attempted heist.

Elmenar is up.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 28/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

I understand that I need to keep driving the boat

At the sight of the newcomers Elemenar's grip on the rudder arm tightens. He pulls the rudder arm hard towards him in an attempt to turn the boat.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Sovereign Court

GM Lupulus wrote:


Lin, Toto, Elmenar, and Sakura can act in this surprise round, so either standard or move action.

This said we can act so I moved. If we can't move then I will use my turn to take cover behind the mast and identify us.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

@Muzouka OK I see the confusion from the way I said it. This is a surprise round started by the archers, they get to act too, but most of you had good perceptions so get a turn during the surpsise round, but still follow initiative and get that one action or move on your turn in initiative.

I should have said it more like "Lin, Toto, Elmenar, and Sakura can act in this surprise round, so either standard or move action [on your turn]."

Elmenar has trouble handling the boat under the pressure of the enemy surprise attack!
Mishap, low is good for you guys: 1d20 ⇒ 3
But it is smooth sailing anyway, as there are no hidden dangers in the water.

-- Green --
The Green raider takes a shot at Lin Ki Chin before he has a chance to take cover.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
@Lin when you say AC is 20 during combat in your sig, I am guessing that is after casting mage armor? I this 18 roll is a hit but let me know if I am incorrect
The arrow hits its target, striking the kensai in the arm for 5 damage.

-- Toto --
The Tengu draws blades and takes up a new position.

-- Purple --
The Purple archer takes aim at the Tengu.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Another lucky shot strikes, this time on toto for 4 damage.

-- Lin --
Lin takes cover behind one of the ship's masts.

-- Red Leader --
In response to several of the Pathfinders' protests and inquiries, the leader at the rear of the group laughs and belows out. "I am Khoqarit, legendary bandit prince of Shaguang! Today you have the honor of being my prey! But I am merciful so surrender your ship and your cargo and you may leave in peace!"

Knowledge Local DC 5:
You have never heard of him, and don't think anyone has.

He doesn't seem to be expecting a surrender, and fires an arrow at the ship's pilot.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
His bark seems worse than his bite as his shot misses badly.

-- Blue --
Blue takes his shot at Sakura!
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
But can't hit his target.

** Round 1 **
-> Kiyoko
Orange
Sakura
Elmenar
Green
Toto (-4)
Purple
Lin (-5)
Red Leader
Blue

Kiyoko is up, start of real round 1.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Untrained knowledge (local), DC10 possible: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Kiyoko snorts at the man’s grandstanding, unshoulders her short bow, and shoots at him.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
1d6 ⇒ 6


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Kiyoko's shot at the leader flies wide!

The Orange Raider fires another shot at Kiyoko.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
crit confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 3) + 2 = 11
The arrow finds a gap in Kiyoko's armor, but fortunately for her is just a flesh wound as it hits for 4.

** Round 1 **
Kiyoko (-4)
Orange
-> Sakura
-> Elmenar
Green
Toto (-4)
Purple
Lin (-5)
Red Leader
Blue

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura uses her sling and shoots a stone at the blue rider.

sling : 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 221d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

She then reloads her sling.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 28/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar tries to correct the boat's course. At the same time he recovers his wand of mage armor.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Boating, retrieving wand


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Sakura slings a rock, and nails blue rider right in the head. It knocks him off his horse, and as the boat and horses continue cruising along, the horrse and forcibly dismounted rider fall behind.

mishap: 1d20 ⇒ 14damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Sakura Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6Elmenar Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12Lin Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Elmenar again has difficulty with the handling, in the chaos not able to steer clear of a sandbar that abruptly brings the boat to a halt. While the ship suddenly stops, the Pathfinders aboard do not, and are flung 20 forward, violently. Toto and Kiyoko are thrown over the front of the boat.
Sakura, Elmenar, and Lin Ki Chin take 5 damage and make a DC Reflex Save, on a failure being knocked prone.

Running aground emboldens the raiders to invite themselves aboard. Green fires his bow at Sakura, then dismounts and draws a sword as he advances toward your stalled boat.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
The arrow misses.

If you fell in the water, you can swim to shore or try to board the boat. I marked on the map the line in the water at which point you could stand and move at half speed or keep swimming to the coast, whichever you prefer at that point. I also marked where you can climb up to the boat on some rigging, if you swim to there.
Swim DC is 12, Climb DC is 10.

Elmenar, the DCs for drive check are kinda brutal, don't sweat it lol. Also, no need to make those checks while the ship is snagged.

You can push the ship off the sandbar to continue with a DC 20 Strength check as a full round action. Sounds easiest after combat to me.

** Round 1 **
Kiyoko (-4)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
Elmenar (-5)
Green
-> Toto (-4)
Purple
Lin (-10)
Red Leader

Toto is up! Well, Toto is down in the water but it is their turn!

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

Toto decides to swim and climb back up to the boat, but doesn't succeed at first try.

Swim: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (3) - 4 = -1
Swim: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (19) - 4 = 15


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Purple shoots an arrow at Sakura as he guides his horse over the sandbar so he can leap aboard the boat, blade now in hand.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
His arrow is ineffective...

** Round 1 **
Kiyoko (-4)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
Elmenar (-5)
Green
Toto (-4)
Purple
-> Lin (-10)
Red Leader

Lin is up!

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

Getting up on his feet Ki Chin throws his arm out and sends a bolt of acid as purple makes his way on board.
Acid splash: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Ki Chin hits the boarder with a splash of acid.

The raiders' leader similarly takes a shot at Elmenar before dismounting and boarding.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
This wizard is struck painfully by the arrow.

** Round 2 **
-> Kiyoko (-4)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
Elmenar (-11)
Green
Toto (-4)
Purple (-1)
Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Kiyoko is up

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Swim, -2 ACP: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 2 = 26

Kiyoko starts swimming for the shore.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Orange shoots an arrow toward Kiyoko as she swims toward the shore.
comp shortbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
The attack lands, hitting Koyoko for 7, and the raider then dismounts and stands ready at the shore.

** Round 2 **
Kiyoko (-11)
Orange
-> Sakura (-5)
-> Elmenar (-11)
Green
Toto (-4)
Purple (-1)
Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Sakura and Elmenar are up

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura drops her sling, moves to the rider and simultaneously draws her greatsword.

She challenges him and then strikes!

Swift action: challenge pink but -2 to AC for Sakura vs all other enemies.

Adamantium greatsword, power attack, challenge: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 2 = 182d6 + 6 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 3) + 6 + 6 + 4 = 22


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Sakura's sword cuts though the purple raider, ending him.

Elmenar is up.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Green jumps aboard the boat and swings their blade at Sakura!
scimitar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
But they can't land the attack.

** Round 2 **
Kiyoko (-11)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
-> Elmenar (-11)
Green
-> Toto (-4)
-> Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Elmenar, Toto, and Ki Chin are up!

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

After a struggle, To-to is finally back on the boat.

Climb up: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (4) - 3 = 1
Climb again: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (18) - 3 = 15

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

Ki Chin rushes towards red and thrusts his longsword at him.
longsword: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

in his rush the magus misses.

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 28/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar nearly falls to the ground when the arrow hits him. This whole situations is getting out of hand. He tries again to navigate the boat but with mounting injuries, it's becoming more and more difficult. He focuses on the rider still near the shore and tries to put it to sleep.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Considering that I'm trying to guide the boat, wouldn't I be back by the tiller

Cast sleep on orange. DC 15 Will to negate.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

@Elmanar check out the resolution of your last turn. The boat is stuck on a sandbar now, you were thrown away form the rudder by the sudden stop. No need to make the driving checks while the boat is snagged.

Toto manages to get up on the boat, Ki Chin misses his longsword attack.
will: 1d20 ⇒ 15
The raider gets lucky and keeps his consciousness.

Red Leader spars with the magus.
mwk scimitar: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
But like so many other attacks on both sides, it misses.

** Round 3 **
-> Kiyoko (-11)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
Elmenar (-11)
Green
Toto (-4)
Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Kiyoko is up. The water in front of you is shallow enough you can move half speed on your feet.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

Kiyoko makes her way out of the water, ice-blue eyes ablaze in indignation. Completely soaked, the Tian-Min samurai looks a bit like a cat who's just been given a bath. Moving to shallower waters and to the riverbank, she trudges up to the dismounted raider waiting for her.

She fixes a grim stare on the man before her and takes up the opening form of an iaijutsu kata, her left hand hovering over the hilt of her ancestral katana.

Move, then use her standard action to begin a full-round action to Iaijutsu Strike, which will complete on her next turn.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Orange does all he can think to, and strikes out at the samurai before she can finish her strike!
scimitar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
His blade bites for another 2 damage as he grins not realizing his likely doom before his next turn.

** Round 3 **
Kiyoko (-13)
Orange
-> Sakura (-5)
-> Elmenar (-11)
Green
Toto (-4)
Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Sakura and Elmenar are up

Sovereign Court

Female Human (Tian-Min) Samurai (sword saint) 4 Kiyoko's Portrait(s)

I probably should’ve pointed it out sooner but with Kiyoko’s Expert Duelist trait, she gains a +1 bonus to AC whenever she’s adjacent to only one opponent. So her AC against the orange guy is 17, not 16, for the moment.


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

OK, i've reverted Kiyoko's HP on my main copy so will be reflected later.

Sakura and Elmenar are up

Dark Archive

| Female LN Aphorite | Outsider (Native) | Fighter 1, Samurai 3 | HP 33/33 | Electricity resistance 5 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +8 | CMD 18 | F: +8/+10 vs. poison, R: +2, W: +6/+8 vs. mind aff. | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, Dipl: +10 | Skill 1/1 | Crystalline Dust 3/3 | Urban Grace 1/1| Challenge 1/2 | Resolve 2/2 | Pessimist Reroll 1/1 | Folio Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 20ft | Active conditions:

Sakura strikes the rider in front of her!

Adamantium greatsword, power attack: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 2 = 212d6 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 6) + 6 + 6 = 24


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

Sakura cuts down Green!

** Round 3 **
Kiyoko (-11)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
-> Elmenar (-11)
-> Toto (-4)
-> Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Elmenar, Toto, and Ki Chin are up!

Sovereign Court

Male NG elf Wizard 5 | HP 28/37 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 14 | F +3* R +3* W +5* | Init +8 | Perc +8

Elemenar sees that there's only one invader on the boat who is still standing. He points at the creature and a glob of acid shoots across the ship.

acid splash@red: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Ranged touch
dmg: 1d3 ⇒ 1 2e cantrips are so much better.

Dark Archive

LN Male Human (Tien-Min) Magus(Kensai) 5 | HP 42/52 | AC 14(20 during combat)(T 11 FT 13 ) |CMB:+7, CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+7 W:+5 | Init:+7|Perc:+0 | SM:+0| | Speed: 30ft | Arcane Pool: 7/7 | Active conditions: None

Cast Shocking Grasp defensively: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Spellstrike: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 - 2 = 26
confirm crit: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 9 - 2 = 9
Shocking Grasp damage: 5d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 2, 4, 6) = 20
longsword damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Spell combat: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 - 2 = 8
longsword damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Lightning races down the longword's length as Ki Chin makes an upward slice on red.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Cleric 5 hp 25/25 | AC 18/t12/ff16 CMD 16 | Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 9 (+1 vs. fear, +1 vs. charm and compulsion effects)| Init +2 | Spd 30 ft. | Perception +7, Sens.Mot +4

Toto heals Elemenar before setting out to fight red leader.

cure light wounds: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Maps & Slides | Invasion Day | 17 Defense Points

The combined assault from Elemenar and Ki Chin is effective, though the leader proves much more resilient than his underlings and remains standing.

Elemenar gets that healing.

Red leader attacks the dangerous Magus!
scimitar: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
But misses!

** Round 4 **
-> Kiyoko (-11)
Orange
Sakura (-5)
Elmenar (-3)
Toto (-4)
Ki Chin (-10)
Red Leader

Kiyoko is up!

1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lupulus' PFS 3-11 QfP2: On Hostile Waters All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.