Houses are overpowered.


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion

1 to 50 of 129 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

45 people marked this as a favorite.

So if I build a modest three story house, with four 10x10 ft. rooms per floor, divided by regular old masonry walls...

twelve 10x10 sections per floor, times three floors. Four more for a floor times four to make three floors and a roof, equals 16 plus the 36 before. 52.

Plus a front door and a back door, and doors to the four bedrooms on the second floor, and a door to the attic/third floor. Seven doors.

4,750 hit points. Hardness 8 for most of it.

We need to nerf houses.


Kain Darkwind wrote:


4,750 hit points. Hardness 8 for most of it.

We need to nerf houses.

HAHAHAHAHA this post made my day :D :D


32 people marked this as a favorite.

Houses? It's the Gazebos that you really need to keep an eye on.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Gazebos are just houses with templates. Overpowered templates. I mean, it literally infinitely increases the number of attacks that houses get. Busted!

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

now i have to find an opportunity to animate and awaken a house...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

If bring up Howl's Moving Castle, but the Witch's Hut is woefully underpowered by comparison. Even Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut wasn't that beastly.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Adding to my epic-tier random encounter lists. Thanks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Psh, houses aren't any more overpowered than warriors. Seriously. Figure out how much that house costs. Let's say a kitchen, a sitting room, a sewing room, and a lavatory/bathroom on the first floor, four bedrooms on the second, and use the top floor for storage. Going by the prices in Ultimate Campaign, that's 1200 for the bedrooms, 480 for the storage, and 1190 for all the stuff on the first floor. But since you specified stone walls, that probably counts as fortified, so that's another 300gp per room, for a total of 6470gp for the whole house.

Now, a team of 3rd level elite guards only costs 170gp. For the cost of that house, you could get 38 teams of 5 guards - that's 190 people! Assuming they have a Constitution of 12 or more and use their favored class bonus for hit points, each one has 22 hit points, so against the house you've got a total of 4180 hit points, not much less than its 4750, and they're wearing hardness 10 banded mail, with serious advantages in mobility and offense. :)


6 people marked this as a favorite.

I am sick of the apartment-house disparity. Damned Ivory Tower balance!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm surprised no one mentioned how much money that thing probably has due to Ultimate Campaign rules.....


6 people marked this as a favorite.

This obviously can't be fixed through errata or house rules(heehee) we demand a whole new edition to rectify this.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Needed this today. Thank you


6 people marked this as a favorite.

*Looks at OP.*

Huh. I guess I really did drunk dial Paizo MB last night. Awkward.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Arikiel wrote:
If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?

Suburbian with the Village archetype specifically for Commons Stride and the Pass Without Zoning SLA.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arikiel wrote:
If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?

Well, few things really compliment the base features of a house.

Possibly want a PrC. Perhaps as a shop or something - get ahead of WBL.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arikiel wrote:
If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?

I would suggest some variant of arcanist. I mean you want your hose to be prepared for specific things but you also want it to be spontaneous not so stodgy. You know not to formal but could still whip up an impromptu heroes feast.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Gnomezrule wrote:
I would suggest some variant of arcanist. I mean you want your hose to be prepared for specific things but you also want it to be spontaneous not so stodgy. You know not to formal but could still whip up an impromptu heroes feast.

You know what? If we're referencing actual classes;

Rogue.
Bonus points if you focus on stealth.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Druid Suburban Glade Archetype grants the aforementioned Gazebo as an animal companion.


5 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

If this is true, the level 6 bard spell sympathetic vibration would require 22 castings, taking 4 hours and 24 minutes, to take down the house.

And this is a pretty basic house.

Does the spell divide the damage across the house or deal 2d10 damage to each section at once?

Because if not, the spell is a worthless waste of space.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Arikiel wrote:
If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?

Bard. Can't beat the usefulness of Versatile Performance for a house. Then you can have an opera house.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Despite the number of beasties resistant to fire a fire specced blaster is not a bad choice if you want to play a fire house, maybe taking on Dragon Disciple if the campaign is such that a couple of wings is a good idea.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

How about it being a monk? It could be a barn with incredible touch AC, so no one can hit its broad side. Ever.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Druid.

House that can wildshape.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
bodhranist wrote:

Psh, houses aren't any more overpowered than warriors. Seriously. Figure out how much that house costs. Let's say a kitchen, a sitting room, a sewing room, and a lavatory/bathroom on the first floor, four bedrooms on the second, and use the top floor for storage. Going by the prices in Ultimate Campaign, that's 1200 for the bedrooms, 480 for the storage, and 1190 for all the stuff on the first floor. But since you specified stone walls, that probably counts as fortified, so that's another 300gp per room, for a total of 6470gp for the whole house.

Now, a team of 3rd level elite guards only costs 170gp. For the cost of that house, you could get 38 teams of 5 guards - that's 190 people! Assuming they have a Constitution of 12 or more and use their favored class bonus for hit points, each one has 22 hit points, so against the house you've got a total of 4180 hit points, not much less than its 4750, and they're wearing hardness 10 banded mail, with serious advantages in mobility and offense. :)

If you want to munchkin it up, I don't think there's anything in the rules that required houses to be furnished...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Physically Unfeasible wrote:
Gnomezrule wrote:
I would suggest some variant of arcanist. I mean you want your hose to be prepared for specific things but you also want it to be spontaneous not so stodgy. You know not to formal but could still whip up an impromptu heroes feast.

You know what? If we're referencing actual classes;

Rogue.
Bonus points if you focus on stealth.

I think this one has been done before...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dead Phoenix wrote:
Physically Unfeasible wrote:
Gnomezrule wrote:
I would suggest some variant of arcanist. I mean you want your hose to be prepared for specific things but you also want it to be spontaneous not so stodgy. You know not to formal but could still whip up an impromptu heroes feast.

You know what? If we're referencing actual classes;

Rogue.
Bonus points if you focus on stealth.
I think this one has been done before...

Not sure which is more threatening...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arikiel wrote:
If you did awaken a house and it started taking class levels what would be a good class to focus on?

Cleric, then it is a House of Worship.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Too bad there isn't an enlarge object spell. Then you could live in the Big House.

Or, if you lower the temperature, the Ice House.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If the house developed lycanthropy, would it be a Werehouse?

If it became a Priestess of Calistria, would it be a House of Prostitution?


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate. 3 people marked this as a favorite.

If it worships Zon-Kuthon, is it a House of Pain?

What if it worships Desna? Is it then a Dream House?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Physically Unfeasible wrote:
Dead Phoenix wrote:
Physically Unfeasible wrote:
Gnomezrule wrote:
I would suggest some variant of arcanist. I mean you want your hose to be prepared for specific things but you also want it to be spontaneous not so stodgy. You know not to formal but could still whip up an impromptu heroes feast.

You know what? If we're referencing actual classes;

Rogue.
Bonus points if you focus on stealth.
I think this one has been done before...
Not sure which is more threatening...

... Is that a Gelatinous Cube Swashbuckler?... I'm so gonna use that the next time I run a game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As long as it didn't look like this...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manimal wrote:
Houses? It's the Gazebos that you really need to keep an eye on.

Like, aren't those...like...the thing that get eaten by cheetahs all the time on those nature shows? Like, how are they dangerous?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Any fan of Manly Wade Wellman can tell you that houses can be pretty darn dangerous!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wish my house was overpowered.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lemeres wrote:
Manimal wrote:
Houses? It's the Gazebos that you really need to keep an eye on.
Like, aren't those...like...the thing that get eaten by cheetahs all the time on those nature shows? Like, how are they dangerous?

In nature, even the most dangerous monster has its natural predator to keep its population in check. That's why the East Coast is so built up; we got rid of the cheetahs a long time ago. The house population exploded, then we had the bubble burst, and now well....


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Lathiira wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Manimal wrote:
Houses? It's the Gazebos that you really need to keep an eye on.
Like, aren't those...like...the thing that get eaten by cheetahs all the time on those nature shows? Like, how are they dangerous?
In nature, even the most dangerous monster has its natural predator to keep its population in check. That's why the East Coast is so built up; we got rid of the cheetahs a long time ago. The house population exploded, then we had the bubble burst, and now well....

Everything changed when the Cheetah nation attacked.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lemeres wrote:
Lathiira wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Manimal wrote:
Houses? It's the Gazebos that you really need to keep an eye on.
Like, aren't those...like...the thing that get eaten by cheetahs all the time on those nature shows? Like, how are they dangerous?
In nature, even the most dangerous monster has its natural predator to keep its population in check. That's why the East Coast is so built up; we got rid of the cheetahs a long time ago. The house population exploded, then we had the bubble burst, and now well....
Everything changed when the Cheetah nation attacked.

They haven't made it here yet. When they do, they'll have to deal with the bears and coyotes too.

Sczarni

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What we truly need to take a look at is the broadside of a barn because some builds have trouble even hitting the broadside of a barn.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sauce987654321 wrote:
I wish my house was overpowered.

No, you don't. Your computer would melt.


Sorry, but suitcase nuke still destroys house.


JoeJ wrote:

Any fan of Manly Wade Wellman can tell you that houses can be pretty darn dangerous!

You can say that again brother.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Here I thought that most houses were rogues running a confidence game. They are always coming up with something new for you to work on. All the tasks seem cheap and easy until you have made the third trip to the hardware store...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Personally I like the AC options available to the Barn archetype. I know my Barn has always proven a nightmare to be hit my annoying melee types specially when it turns its broadside towards them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just be careful if someone imports old spells into the game. One wrong spell and your house is made of glass and let me tell you that DR/rock is really easy to bypass.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

One has to be very careful in that regard, Lathiira. Awakened bulls are very fond of that spell... No matter what they try and say.. "Golf ball", yeah right.


There was an Outer Limits episode with a creepy man-eating house. It could grab you with light fixtures and even cast illusions. Naturally it waited until you got inside before it tried to eat you. ^^


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I disagree. Houses can't be overpowered. They don't even have the dodge feat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kayerloth wrote:
Personally I like the AC options available to the Barn archetype. I know my Barn has always proven a nightmare to be hit my annoying melee types specially when it turns its broadside towards them.

The AC options for a barn are horrible. They are poorly insulated, and usually drafty. It is very expensive to aircondition a barn.

1 to 50 of 129 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Houses are overpowered. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.