Lassiviren

Simon Legrande's page

1,597 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.


RSS

1 to 50 of 1,597 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Irontruth wrote:
Too bad Kaster's closed, I heard they had nice things.

Of course they did, they're divine Kaster's.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
A Female Deer wrote:
A female Deer

D'oh!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
I can do a spot on imitation of Spongebob Squarepants' voice, and Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Larry the Lobster, Plankton... any way the point is I've seen entirely too much Spongebob over the years:-)

But really, who hasn't?

Little kid: Those guys are dorks.
Flying Dutchman: *sigh* Yeah, but they're my dorks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Too bad he's not from Cheliax. I suppose you could have a habit of always referring to Cheliax as Chillax.

There's always the standard issue exclamations: Chill! and Freeze!

When you're getting ready for a fight, tell the rest of the party to "Stay frosty."

Every time you kill something, mention how you "Iced him!"


Looks interesting. I've already started creating my own subclasses so I'll have to have a look at this before buying. I don't play outside of a local group of friends so I don't have a huge need for official material. Having said that, I won't be surprised if the group chips in to buy a copy or two.


My first character was so long ago I don't even remember what it was. Most likely a thief in AD&D 1e because I love playing thieves, but that's just a guess.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Look, you can't blame Marshall's the store just because you don't know how to assemble a sensible outfit.


lucky7 wrote:
"Then again, what the hell do I know? I'm supposed to be dead by now."

Chronicles of Riddick?


ericthecleric wrote:

Fiend, when Dragon Magazine was still running they would usually print some humourous articles in each April issue. Sometimes, they would include joke monsters like the calzone golem, which is a golem made of calzones. IIRC, they included a giant gummi bear as well at one point.

Regarding the OP, what about The Gazebo?

And... what about the Old Man Katan and his band? (From an adventure in Dungeon magazine; issue 41, maybe?)

I still have the issue where they introduced the werelagomorph (wererabbit) and the tin golem (old school toy soldiers). The April issues were the best.


Black Dougal wrote:

SB :"The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation. "

SBTJ:"The g*$ d*@n Germans got nothin' to do with it. "

I want to say Unforgiven, because that sounds like something that Little Bill would have said.


The greatest Thief/Rogue I ever played. Ran in a homebrew campaign my dad was GM for, we started in AD&D 2e and converted to 3.0 when it was released. I was a legend to beat all legends, especially because we got to go back in time and create them.


Dragoncat wrote:
Pan wrote:
I confess to being underwhelmed lately by the AP choices. I understand that not all of them will be perfect for me, and I embrace that. However, the last several have been meh for me and I'm afraid for the upcoming announcement at gencon.

On a somewhat related note...

I confess that I loathe the Kingmaker AP, and can't for the life of me fathom why it's so popular on the boards. My experiences with it have been almost uniformly disappointing at best and disastrous at worst--my first foray into it (on the tabletop) ended very poorly.

I'm currently in a Kingmaker PbP now, and I'm doing my best to give the AP a second chance, but so far things aren't looking up...

I'm with you on that. Kingmaker was an interesting idea poorly executed.


Albatoonoe wrote:

I don't houserule at all. I just play rules as they are. I suppose I do a lot of RAI, but that's about as far as I go.

While I like both, I haven't played in a while and I think I want to play Shadowrun over Pathfinder.

I cannot fathom playing over the internet. It just does not compute for me.

What you did there, I see it.


Scott Betts wrote:
You are not required, as a thinking person, to give a person or group of people consideration just because they persistently demand that you do.

Funny how that works, no?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't miss Pathfinder.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Dave's not here man!

I realize that's a stupid answer, but c'mon, that's a stupid question :-)

No, man! This is Dave!


The first person makes things worse and the second person makes things better. The obvious choice should be the second person, intentions are irrelevant.

Having said that, this only applies in a given hypothetical situation where these are the only two choices.


kyrt-ryder wrote:
I fail to see how B [given that you said you didn't mind] and C were boot-worthy. Concerned he'd end up hospitalized or dead mid-campaign and disrupt the story?

None of us are doctors and our limited knowledge of diabetes made us concerned that drinking a 6 pack of soda over four hours might not be a great idea. The teeth thing wasn't too bad except for the fact that he put them on the table.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Anzyr wrote:
Simon Legrande wrote:

How is Arkalion dealing with every 20th level cleric in existence? Surely clerics have stat blocks.

If gods have no power, why is Arkalion stopping souls from going to them?

If gods have no power, what ultimate goal does Arkalion hope to accomplish?

At this point, it seems like he's just doing what he's doing to be a jerk.

That really depends on whether the Clerics attack him. If they do they tend to be on the receiving end of massed Explosive Runes + Soul Bind.

And the reason Arkalion is doing this is because it's part of his backstory. And you should know he's reason by now. And it's not to be a jerk.

So you've just decided that whoever comes after you automatically loses. Because you have an infinite number of explosive runes nukes stored somewhere that level 20 clerics are incapable of dealing with.


thegreenteagamer wrote:

We booted a guy from my old group for a lot of things. He was crippled, and group pity put up with a lot, including the smell of the colostomy bag (not his fault, so NOT boot-worthy), but...

A) He kept taking his shirt off mid game. I'm NOT of the "dudes hanging out together shirtless" crowd. Keep your frickin' clothes on.

B) He not so jokingly stated that being crippled justified him being a total @$$hat to everyone else regularly, and proceeded to be so.

C) He flat-out cheated building his character.

D) He made a lesbian female character who tried to have sex with every female NPC or PC encountered. Yeah. That guy.

E) The straw that broke the group's back. He claimed that he was deadly allergic to nuts, to the point where we all made painful effort to keep the Recess cups the host brought completely out of the same room as him, for worry he'd get particulate on him. When his dad came to pick him up, we casually mentioned we didn't know he was allergic, or nobody would've brought anything close...his dad's reply? "He's not allergic to nuts. He doesn't like them".

This player is pretty notorious in my city. Four players in my new group have heard of him, and I believe everyone in PFS venture officer positions knows him, and winces when he RSVPs for an event.

We had a guy that showed up for several sessions that:

A) Kept his laptop open and looked up every creature we got in combat with. "Just for curiosity, my character won't know anything."

B) Asked if we were ok with him taking his teeth out. When we said we didn't mind, he explained that he had diabetes and his false teeth were a bit uncomfortable.

C) Drank a 6 pack of Mt Dew at every session.

He stopped showing up before we had a chance to boot him.


Black Dougal wrote:
"I feel the need, the need for speed!"

Top Gun, your other one is Total Recall.


How is Arkalion dealing with every 20th level cleric in existence? Surely clerics have stat blocks.

If gods have no power, why is Arkalion stopping souls from going to them?

If gods have no power, what ultimate goal does Arkalion hope to accomplish?

At this point, it seems like he's just doing what he's doing to be a jerk.


Manwolf wrote:
Don't worry, little brother. There are more.

The 13th Warrior. I love that scene.


Randarak wrote:
129. Peeling skin, picking at scabs, or any other similar thing that should be done FAR FAR AWAY from the gaming table...

You mean you'd boot me if I pulled my hand out of my pants and put a scab on the table??? :(


For the sake of context, could someone, preferably the OP, post a link to a thread where this actually happened, preferably the one that caused this one? I don't doubt that it did, I'd just like to see it in action.

Getting only one side is a bad way to evaluate a problem and, no offense, threads like this always give off a "somebody hurt my feelings, make them stop" vibe.


From page 167 - 168...

Lawful Evil: A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom he hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion.


Question: you keep insisting that gods are powerless because they have no stats, so why are you trying to keep the gods from getting power?


Scythia wrote:
Zhangar wrote:
Arkalion isn't necessarily evil because of his goal (though honestly, "I must stop people from going to Heaven at all costs!" IS an evil goal, though I'm sure Anzyr will claim it's not purely for the sake of argument =P).
It's also "must stop people from going to Hell at all costs!", which as I recall is the premise of a group that is certainly not considered evil by a great many.

Really? Trying to save people from hell "at all costs"? What group would that be?


Digitalelf wrote:
Simon Legrande wrote:
if a human is running the game then every adversary is going to be human.

Don't you think that you're perhaps, just perhaps, over thinking this a little? I mean, I am pretty sure every one of us on these boards knows that we are discussing make-believe, and that monsters don't really exist anywhere but in our collective imaginations.

Perhaps I may be the one over thinking this, but I just fail to see the logic in pointing that out to us.

YMMV...

It's possible that you could read what I put as a tongue in cheek response to the posters claiming they liked humans as antagonists because they could understand their motives.


Zombieneighbours wrote:
Simon Legrande wrote:
Zombieneighbours wrote:

People.

Anything which is a reasonable stand in for a human. Humans make the best antagonists, because their motivations are varied, hard to predict, but possible to empathize with once discovered.

Merchants are among my favourate sub group, because the ability for the profit motive to make people do the unspeakable in the real world can make for a chilling villain in game.

You know, technically every antagonist is human. That is, unless your GM is actually a dragon or an undead or etc. Monsters are just masks that let humans express their darker side.
Not always true. You should check out some of the purist trail of cthulhu scenarios by Graham Walmsley(especially the dying of st. Margarets and The Watchers in the Sky) which have antagonists with distinctly non-human mind sets, and which are written to make them non-human. The god that crawls for lamentations of the flame princess is another example of this.

My point was, if a human is running the game then every adversary is going to be human. Sure it might be a human interpretation of what an orc or a dragon or a vampire might think, but there's still a human sitting in the chair.

Now, if you could get your cat or dog to run the game, you'd see some pretty interesting results. However, I can tell you from experience that cats are great at rolling dice, but the story suffers a bit.


Arkalion is actually NOT an actual character. He is an agglomeration of rules built at 20th level with zero GM involvement. You've essentially created a Pathfinder quark.


kyrt-ryder wrote:
Simon's got it. [Which is amusing considering how often he and I disagree.]

I disagree with lots of people here. But like you I've been making an effort to not let things bother me so much and to step away if I don't think I can stay civil. If everyone thought the same things, the world would be a sucky place to live.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Neurophage wrote:
RDM42 wrote:


But its fair for them to not respond back if people attack their one post? They shouldn't be allowed to defend their opinion?
Their opinion is irrelevant to the thread. If a thread is about 'X' and people are discussing 'X' and what do about 'X,' then 'X' is obviously real to those people and matters to those people, so claiming that 'X isn't real' or 'X doesn't matter' in that situation is, at minimum, unhelpful. They're not being attacked. They're being told to keep out of what doesn't concern them.

If the conversation looks like this:

Person 1: in my game, I've replaced rule X with XsubA
Person 2: that's not how I do it, I use XsubZ
Person 1: that's interesting, but I don't think I'd do it that way for reason ABC
Person 2: well using XsubA is a pretty stupid way to do it when clearly XsubZ is better
Person 1: I don't agree, XsubA has been working for me for a long time
Person 2: well that's pretty stupid, not using XsubZ is literally the dumbest thing you could do

Person 2 is being an obnoxious a-hole. He made his point, the OP didn't agree with it, then he got all pissy about it. That, to me, seems pretty rude. And if I'm understanding kyrt-ryder correctly, that's what he's asking to have less of. That certainly seems like a reasonable request to me. You don't have to agree with the OP, but don't take a dump on the thread pushing your alternative.


Anzyr wrote:
knightnday wrote:
Anzyr's synopsis taken from the original thread wrote:

I actually had a premise for my character. Basically, he dislikes the present management of the afterlife system so he is going around to Prime material planes so he can incorporate them in what he calls the "Grand Cycle". The Grand Cycle is endless loop of reincarnation governed by Arkalion himself. The main upside (in his opinion) is that by keeping souls endlessly within the cycle, it deprives the planes, outsiders (like devils and demons) and gods from gaining any power from those souls. He believes that the more souls that can be added to the "Grand Cycle", the more powerful the Grand Cycle itself will become as it incrementally gains spiritual strength each time a cycle is completed.

This leads to one of the tactics he was going to use being called "Prison of Past Regrets", but alas it won't see use.

Bolded for emphasis. Governed by Arkalion seems to indicate for his own benefit. Depriving other Gods of worshipers and souls weakens them and perhaps increases the power of the Grand Cycle -- and I can only assume that there is a way that power can be used or bring one into being a God in the end. All of that seems to be for his benefit.

Whether the character convinces someone to give up their version of Heaven to go through this cycle or forces it upon them -- and if they refuse the "sandwich", they were given no choice as I recall -- they are having their choices and free will suppressed.

Well who else is going to govern it? Do you think everyone who governs does so for their own benefit? I would argue the opposite is generally true and a person who governs does so for the benefit of the governed.

Technically, you get a choice. To be reincarnated or not. If you choose not to be reincarnated, then Arkalion uses Soul Bind to keep the soul safe. And again, taking away others choices is inherently Lawful not inherently Evil (Freedom v. Order). There are many choices that anyone can take, but...

You clearly don't see it this way, and morality is completely subjective, but as far as I'm concerned this behavior is utterly, disgustingly evil. The fact that governments operate this way doesn't suddenly make it not evil. And frankly anyone who doesn't see this as evil is pretty damn scary.


And speaking of never being able to affect another person's life, I know for sure that I don't want TheAlicornSage determining how much money any person needs. Jealousy is borderline evil and has an awful tendency to dance around on the wrong side of the line.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
knightnday wrote:
And doing it for your own gain, I might add, as you mentioned before about this character wanting to replace a God. Though how they haven't stopped this by now ..

This is what happens when a character is made at 20th level. If this character had been involved in any campaigns, I'd be willing to bet his own party would have killed him and destroyed his soul at level 5.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Anzyr wrote:
Establishing Order requires you to force your opinion on others. Now forcing your opinions on others *can* be Evil, but not inherently. Therefore, his actions (in this case) are Lawful. He is making them conform with good intentions.

I am completely gobsmacked how anyone could read this and not immediately think evil. This is as Hitleresque as you can get without actually being Hitler. Not only that, but this is straight out of the Sith handbook. This is the thinking of someone who should never, ever, ever, ever have the power to affect another person's life, ever.


There is really only one reason that what's being done is completely and utterly evil. That is, you are taking away a free thinking being's free will. There's no question that's exactly what is being done.

Edit: And denying souls to the outer planes so that your army of demon simulacra is all that's left...


Zombieneighbours wrote:

People.

Anything which is a reasonable stand in for a human. Humans make the best antagonists, because their motivations are varied, hard to predict, but possible to empathize with once discovered.

Merchants are among my favourate sub group, because the ability for the profit motive to make people do the unspeakable in the real world can make for a chilling villain in game.

You know, technically every antagonist is human. That is, unless your GM is actually a dragon or an undead or etc. Monsters are just masks that let humans express their darker side.


Anzyr wrote:


He's not the one being violent here. In fact, he's trying to reincarnate someone, or failing that prevent their soul from falling into dangerous hands via Soul Bind. Of course he's not just going to let you attack him because you...

If you, Anzyr, actually believe this then I'll echo Kthulhu's sentiment in regards to your sanity. This is pretty much a textbook example of lawful evil behavior. This is the kind of person that is the BBEG in a campaign.

But whatever. Clearly you enjoy playing this and your GM lets you get away with it. I'll just be happy that you don't have the power to inflict your neutrality on the real world.


X-TREME!! Captain Yesterday wrote:

Oh come on! Who the f%#~ got the confessions thread locked!

Now where am I gonna get X-treme!!

I was wondering the same thing when I checked on it a while ago. I might have broken my nose if I had actually facepalmed myself.


knightnday wrote:
Choose to do things his way,give up their beliefs, and then if they say no you have your choice invalidated. An interesting way to describe self defense.

I know it's considered poor form on the Internet, but...

Following Anzyr's logic, you know who else was just engaging in self defense?


Anzyr wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I'd say that taking up permanent residence in the body of a demon qualifies as a bit abnormal. It would also make virtually any sort of social interaction all but impossible. Then again, from what he has said about Arkalion, he doesn't really go in for social interaction anyway. More of a murderous psychopath type personality.
That's what Shapechange is for (magic it really can solve problems). And he's not a murderous psychopath, though his diplomacy is of the "sandwich or loaded gun" variety. And let's be honest, if Nethys gets to be Neutral, I think Arkalion's Neutral alignment is safe.

According to your own description of his behavior, he shows up on a world, declares himself to be it's ruler, and murders anyone who objects.

If you don't think that's a murderous psychopath, then it's possible that YOUR sanity is in question.

And to be honest, everything you've said about that character just screams "My GM has no balls".

Assuming that my original hypothesis that you are your own GM is incorrect.

He declares they have to become part of his Grand Cycle ie. when they die they must be reincarnated. So you can either have your sandwich (be reincarnated when you die) or you can opt for the loaded gun (he crushes your resistance and has a Shinigami Simulacrum use Soul Bind on you). But again, he doesn't just show up and start murdering people, that would be what a psychopath does. He shows up, waits for people to choose to oppose him and then defends himself against those people. That's just self defense really. And again, compare to Nethys who is Neutral.

You don't really believe that's self defense, do you? I mean, really?


My favorite antagonist is the unknown. I like to try to keep the party guessing about what's next when I GM. Because when I'm a player I like not being stuck in a trope.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's purely a game mechanic. It doesn't really translate into any real world function, so I personally don't try to make it. Your character does more things, they get more powerful. That's all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is starting to sound like "dang puzzles gettin in da way of mah killin stuff".


thejeff wrote:
Simon Legrande wrote:

It looks to me like there are people who don't get that some people aren't capable of the same level of system mastery. Not everyone is a genius, hell not everyone is even above average. Some people are just flat out incapable of grasping the concepts.

Then there are the people who just want a casual game. Spending hours building a character is not their idea of fun.

That being said, Pathfinder is not really the best game for people in either of those groups to be playing. Especially if they're going to whine about everyone else being better.

The second rather than the first for me. And there are a lot of things I like about PF, though it's not my favorite game. It's a favorite for its genre though.

And I wouldn't say "casual". Just more focused on rp & plot and less on tactical combat.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Dungeon World? One of the guys in our group threw some money at the Kickstarter so we got essentially a beta version of the rules and a few classes. It was a little too freeform for us so we didn't go far with it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It looks to me like there are people who don't get that some people aren't capable of the same level of system mastery. Not everyone is a genius, hell not everyone is even above average. Some people are just flat out incapable of grasping the concepts.

Then there are the people who just want a casual game. Spending hours building a character is not their idea of fun.

That being said, Pathfinder is not really the best game for people in either of those groups to be playing. Especially if they're going to whine about everyone else being better.


DominusNox wrote:
Nah, it's all in good fun. They try to save my grubby little soul, and I seduce their mentors. It's a beautiful cycle.

Is this some kind of performance art? I'm not sure I get it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
bookrat wrote:
Pan wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
This joke is getting better and better.
meh, sweet at first but now its getting a little bitter.
Stop using artificial jokes, and the regular stuff won't be so bitter. :)

Look guys, there's no need to start getting salty.

1 to 50 of 1,597 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>