DM Brainiac’s Kingmaker 2E: Table 1

Game Master Brainiac

Hex Map


1 to 50 of 632 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Kingmaker: 2nd Edition!

Chapter 1: A Call for Heroes

You have arrived at the manor of Lady Jamandi Aldori, a wealthy and influential swordlord of the city of Restov in southern Brevoy. A cobblestone path, bordered by regal oak trees and well-manicured hedges, winds its way up the hill for nearly a mile, past a two-story guard barracks, the stables, and a dozen thatched-roof cottages that house the families of the manor’s servants and retainers. The manor itself is a sprawling, three-story structure constructed of light gray mortared stone, surrounded by hedge-lined rose gardens and ancient oak trees.

Others have answered Lady Jamandi's call for heroes, and the four of you are in the rear of the line as you await your turn to be led into the Great Hall. The sky above is gloomy, and distant thunder suggests a storm is imminent...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

The slender, barefoot girl in the simple dress looks around wide-eyed, having never seen a house this large. In her arms is a wolf-pup who's also taking in all the people with curious eyes.

Can I go look at that tree over there?

"Only if you're a good boy and come right back," Floare says to the pup with an affectionate grin.

I'm always a good boy, Mom.

"Of course you are."

She sets the pup on the ground and it immediately makes a bee-line for the tree in question to do what all canines have done since the beginning of time. Returning in a few moments time with its tail lifted in triumph, the girl reaches down and lifts it into her arms again.

That lady behind you smells really good.

Floare risks a subtle look over her shoulder and her gaze snaps back to those in front of her, her face dusting with a hint of rose.

Doesn't she smell good?

"She's very ..." Floare's words trail off as she tries to come up with a descriptor that fits. Beautiful? Enchanting? Intriguing? None of them seem to exactly fit.

Yes, she is. You should sniff her bottom.

"Dante! Don't be rude."

I'm not being rude. That would be a proper greeting.

"If I were a wolf, which I am not."

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

"Now you are the most adorable thing." A voice says from directly behind Floare. The speaker is obviously at least partly elven, given her sharp features and the pointed ears revealed by her swept back hair. It is difficult to tell who exactly she is addressing, but when Floare turns around she reaches forward to scratch Dante between the ears.

"I hope you'll forgive me." She adds, addressing Floare now, her words coloured by a strange accent. "But I've always been fond of wolves and yours is the most handsome one I've ever seen! And so intelligent! I can see the gleam in his eye. You're a spellcaster, I'm certain, and this little darling is your familiar. It's the only explanation, and besides, you've already cast a spell on me."


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare turns in surprise to see who's speaking and to her chagrin, it's her. When the words finally sink in she takes a half-step back and shakes her head.

"Oh, no!" she says, shaking her head vigorously enough to cause one of the flowers in her hair to partially comes loose and wave freely in the air. "I would never cast a spell on you without your permission."

Did you hear her, Mom? She said that I'm handsome and intelligent.

"Yes, you're both of those things. Now hush," Floare says to her familiar with a roll of her eyes. She turns her attention back to the woman in front of her. "You'll have to excuse Dante. He's still just a little boy."

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

"There's no need to apologise." Sariana replies, continuing to reach up and fondle the wolf pup in Floare's arms. "He's quite lovely, aren't you, gorgeous one?"

The fact that Floare seems to completely misunderstand her flirtatious opening doesn't phase the petite half-elf at all. As Dante pushes into one of her hands she reaches up to rescue the half-escaped flower with the other and tucks it back into Floare's blonde hair.

"So, what are such an adorable pair doing here? Here to petition the Swordlord for something? A garden perhaps, or a pair of shoes?" The black haired woman asks with a gentle smirk.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri stands behind two chatting women, shifting from one foot to the other, her thin pink tail swaying around nervously. The young pink dwarf with smooth horns is dressed not as an adventurer in armor and weapons, but in a simple gray sweater and brown slacks, though they are sturdy and fit her curvy form a little too well. Which is another reason she is nervous, having bought the wrong sizes (she likes much baggier clothes normally). Too much in a hurry and two little funds to buy new ones.

When she is nervous her scent is even stronger, which changes for each nose to whatever a person craves. And she is very nervous.

She doesn't speak to the two chatting women in front of her, though she does watch them with her amber eyes.


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Having lived much of her life in the wilderness, Floare knows a predator when she sees one. Unconsciously tugging at her dress to cover her bare feet, she lifts her chin slightly and straightens to her full height.

"Lady Jamandi has put out a call for those that would settle the Stolen Lands," she announces as if reciting from a hand bill. "I think that Dante and I have as much chance as anyone to claim a place of our own there."


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

"Oh!" a voice pops up, which seems to surprise even the owner. The pretty round face peeks around the elf's back. "I am too." the dwarf says simply. "Going to the stolen lands, I mean"


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare pulls her attention away from the dark-haired woman in front of her and looks down at the unique-looking dwarf. "Hello," she says with a tip of her head. "I'm Floare and this is Dante," she says, lifting the grinning wolf pup.

She smells like freshly killed rabbit. Now I'm hungry, Mom. When are we eating?

"I'm sure we'll be eating soon, my hungry boy," she replies with a chuckle. Strangely enough, rather than rabbit, Floare gets a hint of ripe apples.


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri's eyes take in the other woman, quickly, especially settling on her golden hair, then she manages an embarrassed smiled. "Tandri Rumblespark, mam. Pleased to meet you." she pauses for a moment, pulling off her large bulging pack. Shifting and rummaging, she pulls out a preserved hunk of meat and a flaky bun heavily seasoned with rosemary.
Tandri offers the bits of food to the woman and her pup "If you want it." her eyes take in the line "We might be here a while."


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare accepts the food with another nod. "Thank you very much, Miss Rumblespark," she says. Setting the pup on the ground she smiles as he chews with effort at the preserved strip of meat. She's much more reserved as she tears off a small piece of bread and slips it into her mouth. "We haven't eaten since this morning."

"Where are you from originally?" she asks after a bit. "I haven't seen a dwarf like you before."


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

At the question, Tandri's pink cheeks turn almost red, her gaze down to her pack as she clasps and reclasps, and delays "Well... um... you see..." her amber eyes look up at the barefoot woman "I am a tiefling. Abysmal blood from one side or the other of my family cave system. Neither will admit to it, but it is pretty obvious." her tail flicks about in sharp anxiety. "And you? I mean where are you from?" she tries to deflect toward a safer area of conversation as she slips her heavy pack back on.


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

A dark-haired Brevic man with flashing eyes joins the conversation. "There's lots of opportunity in the Stolen Lands, I hear. Maybe one day we'll all be lords and ladies--like our host!" There might be the faintest hint of sarcasm in the young man's voice, but you can see he's flsuhed with excitement.


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri startles a little as the man standing behind her speaks. Shifting quickly to the side, so she can see both of the humans, she clutches the straps of her pack tightly. "Is that why you are here as well?" she asks, with equal tightness in her voice, though she is trying to hide it, her tail curls around itself.

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Sariana nods politely as the new arrivals butt into her conversation and manages not to growl. The younglings are nervous so its understandable that they talk a lot - the horns are quite delightful though so she makes the effort to turn to Tandri.

"Don't worry sweet thing, none of us can control where we come from." The vampire says, caressing the dwarf's arm. "What matters is what we make of it, and you seem to have fine goals."

Oddly the tiefling has no smell at all to Sariana's nose, but that's probably because Floare's natural scent is so strong at the moment.


At last, one of Lady Jamandi's servants calls for you to enter the manor—you are the final adventurers to be led into the building. As you enter, the first raindrops of the storm begin to fall.

This spacious hall has been prepared for a great feast. Servants hustle and bustle about, while several armed soldiers—Lady Jamandi’s house guards—watch over the hall from their positions against the east and west walls. To the north, a fire crackles away in a large fireplace. An iron lever secured by a lock adorns the fireplace’s eastern face. Two massive crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling twenty feet above. The walls are decorated with painted murals of idyllic woodland scenes: nymphs frolicking amid waterfalls, satyrs dancing with fawns in wooded glades, and various winged fairy creatures flitting through the trees. Nine long tables are arranged around the central portion of the room, each holding plates, utensils, mugs, goblets, and full, ready-to-be-poured pitchers of ale, wine, mead, and water. The smell of roasted meat and other delicious scents fill the room, yet no food has yet been served.

The servants escort you all to the same table. As chance would have it, several other potential adventurers have been seated here as well, seven in all—three humans, a dwarf, an elf, a gnome, and a halfling. You have no time to strike up a conversation with them, though, as a moment or two after you are seated, a bell rings.

A striking half-elf woman enters the hall, followed by an aristocratic, middle-aged human man. The man wears finely tailored clothing, fit for a noble, while the woman appears dressed for battle. She wears a fine leather coat over a sparkling mail shirt, and at her waist hangs an Aldori dueling sword with a bright silver pommel. The two make their way to the head table, where they remain standing.

The man speaks first. “Greetings, heroes! I am Ioseph Sellemius, lord mayor of Restov. And this,” he gestures to the woman beside him, “is Lady Jamandi Aldori. We both thank you for answering her call for heroes. You may be few, but we need only the best for this great task.”

Lady Jamandi offers the room a broad smile before she speaks. “South of here, beyond Brevoy’s border, lie the Stolen Lands. This disputed territory has been claimed time and again by would-be settlers, but because the area has been a haven for bandits and monsters, it has never been held for long. Restov intends for this to change.

“If you have enough courage to drive off the dangerous denizens of the Stolen Lands, you can seize territory for yourselves and name yourselves baronesses or barons. Restov intends to recognize the legitimacy of the new rulers of this land, and none of the other neighboring realms care enough to challenge you. We are prepared to provide backing as a trade partner and military ally. If you claim the land, you will have my—indeed, all of Restov’s—support!”

Lady Jamandi raises her goblet. “But the details of your individual missions and charters into the Stolen Lands can wait. I raise my glass to you, brave heroes! For now, let us eat and enjoy the evening. Tomorrow promises to be a very busy day.”

Floare, Politics Lore Success:
Lady Jamandi is one of the Aldori swordlords—a wealthy and influential woman who is recognized as one of Restov’s greatest warriors. Lady Jamandi’s Aldori dueling sword trails magical fire when it strikes. While she used to take jobs as a mercenary, she now focuses on tending to the needs of her manor, troops, and duties to Restov.

After Lady Jamandi finishes speaking, her servants begin to circle around the room, filling mugs with ale, fruit juice, or water and serving food from heaping platters. The feast itself includes four courses in all: crisp greens lightly flavored with savory oils, spicy seasoned waterfowl, a main course of tender roast boar, and a finishing selection of fine desserts and cheeses. For the duration of the feast, the servants bustle about in their never-ending quest to keep mugs and goblets full and take discarded plates away to the scullery.

The young halfling woman at the table speaks up as the feast gets underway. She has a large leather-bound journal in front of her, into which she has been sketching profile images of everyone present at the table. "This is so exciting, isn't it? The 'Feast of Heroes!' This is just the prologue to our own thrilling tale of adventure, to be sure! And what an interesting cast of characters we have here..."

During the feast, the PCs have time to chat among themselves or with the NPCs whose table they share. The NPCs described here are destined to become some of the PCs’ allies and enemies as Kingmaker unfolds. The feast itself uses the influence subsystem, as detailed on pages 151–153 of the Gamemastery Guide. The feast plays out over 2 hours, broken into six separate 20-minute rounds. In each round, the PCs can attempt to Influence or Discover information about the NPCs at their table. For several of these NPCs, influence awards shift the NPC’s starting attitude for determining how they react to the PCs when they next meet.

NPCs Present:
Amiri: Amiri is a tall and muscular human woman, clad in a mix of animal skins, leathers, and battle-scarred hide armor. She wears a massive greatsword in a leather scabbard across her back.
Discovery: Perception, Society, Warfare Lore
Influence Skills: Athletics (to physically impress Amiri), Deception, Diplomacy, Intimidation (to show Amiri you’re not afraid of her), Performance, Survival (to show Amiri that you’re capable in the wilds)

Harrim: Harrim is a middle-aged dwarf cleric with a bald head and a long, salt-and-pepper beard. He wears a religious symbol of Groetus, God of the End Times.
Discovery: Dwarven Lore, Perception, Religion
Influence Skills: Deception, Diplomacy, Dwarven Lore (to talk about dwarven history with Harrim), Groetus Lore (to speak to Harrim knowledgeably about his faith), Performance, Religion (to impress upon Harrim your own faith)

Jaethal: Jaethal is deathly pale and wears dark clothing. Her raven-black hair is long, and she has no jewelry. Leaning against the table next to her is a massive, wickedly sharp scythe.
Discovery: Perception, Religion, Urgathoa Lore
Influence Skills: Deception, Diplomacy, Intimidation (to impress Jaethal with your fearsome nature), Performance, Religion (to show Jaethal you have strong faith), Urgathoa Lore (to impress Jaethal with knowledge about her goddess)

Linzi: Linzi is a young halfling woman wearing leather armor and a weather-worn cloak. She keeps a large leather-bound journal in front of her, into which she sketches profile images of everyone present at the table and scribbles occasional notes and verses for tunes she’ll never finish.
Discovery: Occultism, Perception, Society
Influence Skills: Deception, Diplomacy, Intimidation, Performance (to delight Linzi's artistic sense), Occultism (to show off the breadth of your esoteric knowledge), Performance (to delight Linzi's artistic sense)

Maegar Varn: Maegar is a ruggedly handsome man with a constant shadow of a beard on his jaw; he wears his dark gray hair in a small bun. He carries a distinctive sword that bears the crest of House Varn—four hatchets arranged in a circle—on its pommel guard.
Discovery: Occultism, Perception, Society
Influence Skills: Brevoy Lore, Heraldry Lore, Politics Lore, or Warfare Lore (to chat knowledgeably about current events and Brevic history), Deception, Diplomacy (to treat Maegar like the noble he is without making him feel like you’re mocking the fact that he’s a third-born son), Intimidation, Society (to chat with Maegar about how best to start a village from scratch)

Tartuccio: Impeccably dressed in fine robes and silks, Tartuccio looks more like a stately gnome prince than an actual adventurer.
Discovery: Nature, Perception, Society
Influence Skills: Arcana (to talk shop about magic), Deception (to give him a false sense of superiority), Deiplomacy, Intimidation (to frighten him a little and take some wind out of his sails), Performance

Valerie: Valerie is a tall, exceptionally beautiful woman with striking blue eyes and a warrior’s physique.
Discovery: Perception, Society, Warfare Lore
Influence Skills: Deception, Diplomacy (to act properly and impress Valerie with your decorum), Intimidation, Society (to speak pleasantly upon current events), Warfare Lore (to compare notes on fighting styles or chat about military history)


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

At the touch, soft and brief, Tandri's skin shivers slightly and her tail loops around itself, but then she catches herself, grabbing and controlling. Her face settles and she is just about to step away or snap or something, but then they are being ushered inside.

Stuffing her pack under the table, making sure her boots are touching it enough to make sure it doesn't go anywhere, she listens. 'Baroness? Me?' she snorts a small laugh at that, soft and mostly quiet, but still a snort. Which makes her fidget again in embarresement.

Deciding she has to try and be friendly, or this whole escapade is doomed to failure for her.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Smiling at the halfling, she tries "But unlike in most books that feature adventure parties, we're not meeting in a tavern for the first time." a sad little attempt at humor. She charges forward introducing herself "Um... I'm Tandri." what next, Oh! "I like to read, I..... mention... cause it seems like you do to??" she slips into an unsure questioning tone at the end.

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Sariana only picks at the food, moving it around her plate and chopping and rechopping bits to give the impression of eating without actually doing so. She scans the table and her eye falls almost immediately on the raven-haired Urgathoan opposite her. Disgust makes her lip curl a little and she watches the woman carefully.

Perc to Discover Jaethal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

After observing the cleric opposite her Sariana leans over to Floare and speaks softly in her ear.

"Jaethal, the dark haired one, looks lonely to me. I'm sure she'd appreciate a friendly conversation."

She can't help but take a slightly deeper breath than necessary to enjoy Floare's scent before scratching Dante's head under the table and returning to her own seat.


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

While attempting to keep her awe of the manor house in check, Floare takes a double portion of the greens, passes on the fowl, and hands her portion of the boar down to Dante, who tears into it with a passion. Her eyes widen at the cheese and deserts.

There's a sudden intake of breath when Sariana whispers in her ear and it takes her a moment to interpret the words the woman in speaking.

"So, Jaethal is it?" Floare says in a shaky voice. "What spurs you on to the Stolen Lands?"

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

Deregar finds himself drawn to Maegar Varn. "You seek to increase the fortunes of House Varn? I think you have a good chance to civilizing some part of those lands--I'm from the south myself."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

As she waits on the halfling to respond to her potential literary interest, she nibbles on a delightful roll filled with vanilla buttercream and berries. Small bites to savior, each eliciting a barely contained toe curling from the pinkish creature.

Her eyes look over her table mates (since the halfling needs time to properly phrase an answer, or to choose which of her cutlery to throw at the demon who decided to talk to her) specifically she looks at her End Of The Liners.
The two women share a whisper in one's ear. While the outrageously handsome human seems drawn to the ruggedly handsome one. Tandri is sure she has a book about that somewhere in her pack.

Oh! She looks quickly under the table to spot the devilishly fluffy adorable Dante. Very little would make her happier than to slip under the table to snuggle the furry critter, but decorum is important if one wants a job. And she really needs one.


Linzi gives Tandri an uncertain smile. "Er, yes, I do enjoy reading, as well as writing, drawing, and storytelling. I'm a bard by trade. What is i that you do, Tandri?"

The halfling makes small talk with the tiefling, but it's clear that she isn't very impressed by Tandri's initial awkward overtures.

***

Jaethal gives Floare a long look before responding. "I seek a fresh start," she says simply, then turns to Tartuccio. "And what about you?" she inquires, deflecting Floare's question to the boisterous gnome.

"Well, isn't it obvious?" Tartuccio sneers. "Fame and glory! Look around the room. All I see are vagrants and roustabouts. I am the only one here tonight worthy of ruling the Stolen Lands! With my magical prowess, nothing can stand in my way!"

As Tartuccio continues to bluster, Jaethal resumes her brooding silence.

***

Maegar Varn gives Deregar a slight frown. "I seek no to enhance the fortunes of my house, but rather my own. I am the third son of a Brevic baron, and as such, I do not stand to inherit my father’s title and
holdings. The opportunity to make a name for myself by answering the call for heroes is my best chance to enhance my standing. In fact, I've already made plans for a new village called Varnhold that I drew up back at home. I'm eager to put my plans into motion!"

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Maegar Varn. Everybody may make rolls for the second social round.

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Seeing Amiri reach for a large plate which is heavily laden with boar and just out of her reach, Sariana leans forwards and picks the platter up, before offering it to the fur-clad woman.

"You seem as though you know the Stolen Lands well." She says, holding the platter easily at the full reach of her arm. "What tribe are you from?"


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri notices enough to know she's not making a great impression, but stumbles on anyway, trying to listen more than talk for a moment. "I'm a cleric... and I studied to be a lawyer... but now, an adventurer" her tone does not put great faith in her own abilities of any of the three.

Tandri continues the small talk, hoping she finds some common ground with the halfling.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Surprisingly, Floare perks up at Jaethal's response. "That's exactly what Dante and I are looking for," she says before Tartuccio makes his comment about 'vagrants and roustabouts'. She slumps down in her seat with no doubt in her mind that his comment was directed at her.

There's a small growl from under the table and Floare reaches down to scratch the pup's neck.

Want me to bite him, Mom?

"Behave, Dante. We can't just bite people that dislike us," she whispers.

Why not?

Having no answer for that, she attempts again to make conversation with the woman across from her.

"We're hoping to find and make a place of our own. Somewhere that allows us to live our lives free from interference from others. Where we get to choose our destiny. Where we get to set the agenda. Where we can find out what the gods have in mind for us."

Jaethal - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

Deregar finds that answer intruiging. "My goals are much the same! My family has fallen on hard times. I think, with a toehold in the Stolen Lands, I could really make something of myself."

Deregar is impressed by Varn's advanced planning. "Have you selected a site for your village? I hadn't even thought of such a thing. I suppose I was preoccupied with evicting the bandits in the area."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Amiri takes the plate from Sariana with a nod of thanks. She takes a big bite of the boar shank, chewing loudly. "Don't know the Stolen Lands," she says around a mouthful of food, "but I know the wilds. I am from the Realm of the Mammoth Lords, a member of the Six Bears following. But they were too weak for me, so I left in search of people who could match my strength." She gives the half-elf an appraising look. "Perhaps you might be one of those people."

You have gained 1 Influence point with Amiri.

***

"Perhaps you will find a life of adventure more exciting than that of a lawyer," Linzi offers helpfully to Tandri. They make small talk for several minutes, but Tandri can't quite get a good read on the chatty halfling.

***

Despite Jaethal's reticence, Floare's friendly demeanor eventually breaks through the elf's hard shell. She smiles faintly. "That does sound nice. Choosing one's own destiny. I'd... I'd like to hear more about those plans of yours," she says.

You have gained 1 Influence point with Jaethal. Future Diplomacy checks to Influence her now have a significantly lower DC.

***

"I've a few places in mind," Maegar says to Deregar. "Of course, it will all depend on what we discover during our exploration. But I'm confident that my men and I will be able to handle anything we come up against."

The charming noble continues to chat with Deregar for several minutes, but the summoner realizes he isn't making much more headway in leaving a lasting impression on Maegar.

Everybody may make rolls for the third social round now.


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

"Perhaps we will be neighbors. Good luck!" Deregar bids farewell to the noble and moves on to talk to Valerie.

"We'll met! My name is Deregar--pardon my forwardness, but it would be a pleasure to chat with you. Would you mind?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Valerie smiles at Deregar. "Thank you for asking me first. No, I would not mind that. I am pleased to meet you, Deregar. I overheard you say that your family has fallen on hard times. I am sorry to hear that. I hope you will find what you are looking for in the Stolen Lands."

The tall woman makes small talk with the summoner. She appears quite impressed by Deregar's manners and decorum.

You have gained 2 Influence Points with Valerie. Everybody else may still act.


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

religion to show faith to Jaethal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

'No one said adventuring to find one's place in the world would start with a Dinner Party.' Tandri pouts glumly. It is easy to see the halfling authoress would much rather be talking to anyone at the table other than an odd dwarf girl like her.

Hearing the talk of gods by her table neighbor, Floare, she decides to join that conversation. At least it can't go as bad as the one she is in now. "Do either of you follow a particular god or goddess?" she blunders in quickly, drawing gazes, and making her babble a bit "Mine is, um, Calistria. I... am not great at all her aspects, but I've..." her voice falters a bit, but then she studies herself, pulling her body straight in her chair "... well, mastered Vengengence at least." it seems dumb to say at a table, her cheeks glow but her eyes are defiant "The Lady In The Room feels that is enough to bless me."

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

"Maybe I will." Sariana says, clasping hands with Amiri and matching the barbarian's strength with her own. "That's a fine weapon. Giant made?"


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare turns to include Tandri in her conversation. "Calistria? Isn't she the goddess of the elves? Does she mind at all that you're a ... not an elf?" she verbally stumbles before realizing how rude that question is. As her face reddens, she looks back over at Jaethal. "I respect the gods, but there's none that I've given my devotion to," she says, trying to move past her mistake. "Dante and I would just like to find a fresh start. Perhaps we can create our own home and gather similarly-minded people to make a community." She gestures at the lavish manor house around them. "It would be nothing like this, of course," she says with a grin. "But someplace that people can feel at home."

Jaethal - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


"I am a follower of Urgathoa, the Pallid Princess," Jaethal states plainly. She quirks an eyebrow and waits a moment to see if any of you takes umbrage at her devotion to an evil deity. "I've known many Calistrians in my time. But don't worry, I won't hold that against you, Tandri. We're all about fresh starts here, it would seem. So I'll reserve my judgment until you give me a reason to judge you."

The pale elf smirks and turns back to Floare. "I left my home a long time ago. I have been without one for quite some time. It would please me to help you achieve the goals you speak of, young one."

You have gained 2 Influence points with Jaethal!

***

Amiri's bicep flexes as she locks grips with Sariana. "Aye! I took this blade from the cold, dead hands of a frost giant chieftain! It is my greatest trophy, my pride and joy. I have slain many more monsters and villains with it since that fateful day. And I plan to slay many more yet! Let the Stolen Lands throw their worst at me. It will be no match for the mighty Amiri!"

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Amiri.

Everybody may make rolls for the fourth social round now.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare shows no reaction to Jaethal's revelation. Her skin pales, though.

~~~~

"What's wrong, Child?" Mother asked with what sounded like genuine concern. "While I'll admit that halfling isn't as good as elf, it certainly beats human or dwarf. You should consider yourself lucky. They don't wander into this part of the woods very often."

Floare looked down at the bowl of stew in front of her. Finally picking up her spoon, she attempted to scoop up the bits of tuber floating in the broth, avoiding the large chunks of meat. "I guess I'm just not that hungry right now."

~~~~

"I'm no stranger to Lady Despair," Floare says tactfully as she reaches for another piece of cheese. As she brings it back to her plate, her fingers fumble and the morsel bounces twice before tumbling off the table ... into Sariana's lap.

Floare's face flushes. "I-I'm so sorry," she says. Closing her eyes, she breathes deeply to try to calm herself.


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

"That is very kind of you. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm able to restore my family's good fortunes." Deregar is tempted to dwell on his potential rise to power, but his sense of decorum holds him back. Only talking about yourself is dull, Auntie would say.

"What of you, lady? What do you hope to accomplish in these wild lands?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Distracted from her conversation with Amiri by the assault of random foodstuffs, Sariana turns back to the conversation in the middle of the table and finds Floare with her eyes closed. The opportunity is too good to miss and she winks at Tandri before running her thumb gently across Floare's lips as she holds the piece of cheese right there.


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

Floare's eyes fly open at the contact. Seeing the piece of cheese causes her to blush even further. Reaching up, she takes the wayward dairy product and sets it next to her plate. "I'm so sorry about that," she says, avoiding Sariana's eyes. "I'll try to be more careful with my dinner."

"So what sort of books do you like to read?" She asks the halfling that Tandri was talking to in the hope that her clumsiness will be forgotten.

Linzi - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri was about to answer about the dwarf thing, but Jaethal answers first, making her blush a bit, and then is flummoxed about Floare's reaction and the touching of lips, and...

Socialization is taking its toll on the poor girl, so she stuffs the rest of her dessert in her mouth, so she has something to do with her mouth that Works!

Her eyes look over to the halfling, as she chews, since Floare is asking exactly what Tandri had meant to if she had managed.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

As Trandri distracts herself with dessert, she feels something nudging her leg. Looking down she sees the wolf-pup nosing at her leggings as if sniffing for something.

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

With her little bit of teasing done, Sariana returns her attention to Amiri.

"I'm sure they'll come." She agrees with a grin, curtailed to avoid any accidental exposure. "Ever fought anything bigger than a giant?"

The two are soon trading boastful stories of their prowess, although a close listener would notice that Sariana's are oddly non-specific in location and time.

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri's eyes go wide in pleasure, the widening smile almost makes her lose some of her cream!

Reaching down she let the pup smell her hand, shrugging apologetically as his wide eyes look at her in confusion. "Ims just mfe" she admits softly. To solidfy the apology, Her eyes look for scraps on the table, seeing some meat that slipped off of her neighbor's plate. With a slow, measured, no one notice me please, reach, she picks up the meat and slips it under the table for the wolf cub.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

As the pup happily accepts the offerings, Floare finally notices that her companion has wandered.

"Dante!" she calls out in a firm voice, noticing where he's at. "How rude! We do not beg from strangers!" She points at the space next to her chair and the pup happily trots back to be picked up.

"I apologize for Dante," Floare says to Trandri. "He knows better than to do something like that."

But Mom, ask her where she's hiding the rabbit. I haven't had rabbit in a long time.

"She doesn't have a rabbit, you rude boy. I don't know what you're smelling, but it's not rabbit."

I think I know what rabbit smells like.

Floare looks back at Trandri again. "Again, I'm really sorry. He's not normally like this. He's usually such a good boy."

I'm always a good boy.


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

"I..." Tandri opens her mouth to explain, but has to close it quickly to maintain her manners. Her cheeks go bright red, as she chews, her hands wrappping together in her lap. Finally she says "It's not his fault, please. I,,, well, part of my unfortunate ancestry is that I smell... " she is embarrassed to the Abyss and back so she leans close to the taller woman, whispering "... like whatever you yearn about most at the moment." Tandri leans away, feeling bot ashamed and bad for causing strife "I am sorry, please do not think less of your friend. He simply is amazing."


"For the past few years, I have served at times as either a mercenary for the Swordlords or a freelance bounty hunter," Valerie says to Deregar. "With Lady Jamandi's call for heroes, I thought I might put my fighting talents to better use in pursuit of this worthy cause. And alongside worthy people." She nods respectfully to the summoner.

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Valerie.

***

Linzi smiles up at Floare. "I enjoy all types of books, but I'm mostly interested in chronicles of history and gazetteers of the world. In fact, I'm hoping that I have the opportunity to chronicle the heroic establishment of a brand new nation in the Stolen Lands!"

She talks at length with the witch about her excitement for the upcoming expedition. Tandri watches the interaction from afar, but doesn't come away with any new insights about Linzi.

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Linzi.

***

"The Realm of the Mammoth Lords are filled with truly enormous beasts!" Amiri says to Sariana. "Have you ever seen a giant land sloth? I took one down once with my bare hands!"

She goes on to re-enact the dramatic battle with much enthusiasm!

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Amiri.

Everybody may now make rolls for the fifth social round!


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 3 | HP 40 | AC 15 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +11 | Perc +9; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0/1 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

diplomacy toward Harim: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 oh, Tandri :(

Wrapped up in anxiety, her tail twisted around the spoke of her chair, the young pink dwarf decides she should at least Try to talk to the member of her own race.

"Um, hello, I'm Tandri Rumblespark, I already said that, but you were, um..." more interested in anything other than her, no not a good thing to point out. Taking a deep breath she barreled on, "My people are from Larrad, but moved once I was born, which surprised everyone, not in a good way of course, which side passage the taint come has been a source of argument, a bitter, sometimes violent one..." she realizes she has gone quite off course from Hello. "well, um, and you are?"


LN male skilled human summoner 3 HP 44/44 | AC 18 | F +8 R +6 W +7 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 3 | Active Conditions:

"I'm happy that you find me so, lady. You seem experienced in the combat trials of the area. What might we expect to face, beyond rag-tag bandits?" Deregar regards Valerie. She seems a reliable source of information, and unlikely to stand in the way of his plans. Her conversation is also pleasant is a room full of strangers.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Dark Archive

Fangs/Fists +10 d8+4 | Active Conditions: | HP 47/47 | AC:19 | Fo:+9 Re:+9 Wi:+8 | Per/Med/Nat +6, Stl +7, Dec/Itm +5, Ath +9 |

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

"I've outrun the horses of the Sartuli Plains." Sariana replies, "Those beautiful animals are spirits of nature itself!"


Female Human Witch (Wild) 3 | HP 29 | AC 16 | Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +7 | Perc +5 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 16 | HP 15

"I love books as well," Floare says with a smile, continuing to engage the halfling. "My mother had books on a wide range of subjects; From fiction to history to politics to obscure magics."

She proceeds to explain the breadth of rituals that could be performed in the woods under a full moon - some of which would probably not be considered the best conversation for the dinner table.

Linzi - Occultism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


At first, Harrim seems pleased when Tandri tries to talk to him. But the mention of Larrad causes his expression to sour. "I hail from Larrad as well. But like you, I did not fit in there, and so I left long ago. I will shed no tears when that city is consumed by oblivion, as all things will be in the end."

The dwarf becomes lost in his distant memories, ignoring Tandri's further attempts to get him to open up.

***

"Besides the bandits, there are all sorts of dangers in the Stolen Lands," Valerie says to Deregar. "Vicious beasts, wily fey, and other threats both mundane and supernatural. We will need all of our wits about us if we hope to tame those lands and settle them."

Deregar's good nature and polite manners continue to win the warrior woman over.

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Valerie.

***

Amiri seems less impressed by Sariana's latest boast. "Bah! Horses are one thing, but let me tell you about the time I escaped from a mammoth stampede!" The barbarian launches into another exciting tale of derring-do, outshining Sariana's attempt to impress her.

***

Linzi politely listens to Floare's knowledge of rituals, but the halfling seems a bit disappointed. She makes a few remarks, such as, "Oh, I've heard of that one before," and "Hmm, yes, I think that's in a book I already own."

Everybody may make rolls for the sixth and final social round!

1 to 50 of 632 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Kingmaker 2E: Table 1 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.