DM Brainiac’s Kingmaker 2E: Table 1

Game Master Brainiac

Hex Map
Kingdom Sheet


401 to 450 of 978 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri nods, casting worried glances at the vampire, but what exactly she is worried about is unknown, even to her. But she does stay close to Floare on the trip.


You set up camp for the night near the sycamore as you prepare to journey to the Soostcale caverns. Linzi speaks enthusiastically with Mikmek, learning the kobold's story and the story of his tribe and jotting down numerous notes in her journal.

The Sootscales live in an abandoned silver mine in the side of a hill just north of the Shrike River. Since the mine was originally made by humans, the ceilings are high. The kobolds adore their eight-foot-high “vaulted ceilings,” and consider them a sign of great kobold prosperity. They have occupied the mine for decades, periodically clashing with the region’s bandits, mitflits, and trappers, but always enduring. The Sootscales all have black scales and share a fondness for swimming in the Shrike River and catching fish with their tiny teeth.

***

Valerie spends her time in camp maintaining her armor, and she offers to work on Deregar's chain shirt as well as the summoner approaches her. He makes good-natured conversation with the strong, beautiful woman. The small talk doesn't go much past the surface level, and though Valerie sticks to her usual impeccable, distant manners, Deregar feels like he is making some progress in getting the warrior to lower the walls she keeps up around her, if only just a bit.

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Valerie.

***

The next day, Mikmek provides directions as you head southeast to the Sootscale caverns. An outcropping of large boulders emerges from the weathered face of a nearby hillock. A narrow opening in the rock leads into darkness below. A fallen sign leans against the side of the cave entrance, and a cage made of branches and sticks sits on the other side. The fallen sign is weathered and bears a few faded words in Common: “Oaktop Silver Mine.”

The stick cage contains a single, sobbing mitflit—his eyes squinted tightly shut against the light of the day. A lone kobold stands watch here.

Mikmek calls out to his fellow kobold. "Hail, Nakpik! I come with friends! We have recovered the sacred statue!" He hoists the devil statuette over his head.

Nakpik gasps. "Huzzah! Chief Sootscale will want to meet with you right away! Come in, come in!" He gestures for you to follow him.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Athletics to Influence Amiri: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

As they camp Sariana regales Amiri with all of the fights in the cavern below, particularly the twenty five foot long centipede!

--------
Sariana leads the way into the Sootscale caverns, rather glad there is proper headroom this time, enough for even Amiri's giant frame. If there is any treachery then they will be well prepared.


Amiri is impressed by Sariana's tale. "I wish I had been down there with you to see that fight first-hand! It is always the most fun to take down enemies that are much bigger than you!"

The barbarian retrieves a well-crafted dagger from her belt and offers it to Sariana. "Here. This is magic, but I prefer to use the sword I claimed from the frost giant I killed. Next time you fight something big, use this to kill it! Go for the eyes!" She laughs.

Amiri gives Sariana a +1 dagger. She is now at maximum Influence!

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Sariana clasps Amiri's arm in thanks and grins.

"I will. Maybe I'll even leave some for you next time." She adds with a cheeky smirk. "You're going to stick around, right? I want to see your fighting skills in action!"


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

diplomacy for influence: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Tandri tries to help Linzi document the kobold's story, but her only attempts at writing has been for legal documents, which is a FAR cry from the literature Linzi is creating.


Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

Floare, on the other hand, spends a few minutes before entering the mines talking to Jaethal. The main topic of conversation is regarding the feeding habits of undead - specifically vampires - in regards to whether they like to play with their food before taking part.

Diplomacy vs Jaethal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Linzi is too caught up in Mikmek's story to pay much heed to Tandri. Jaethal, though, happily speaks at length with Floare about vampires. "It varies between individuals, but in general, the moroi very much enjoy enticing those they feed on into intimate imbroglios," the elf tells the wtich. "But the feeding process can be enjoyable for both predator and prey, and it usually not fatal. Once they've chosen a favored victim, a moroi often feeds on them again and again, a little bit at a time, to sustain the relationship between the two of them. Intriguing, yes?" She smiles up at Floare as she sharpens her scythe.

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Jaethal.

***

The two kobolds lead you into the tunnels. Just beyond the entrance, a pair of shadowy alcoves flank the main passageway. They fall into step behind you as Nakpik and Mikmek lead the way. Soon, the tunnel opens into a large chamber. Numerous beds of furs lie scattered throughout the room amid smoldering cook fires, while to the south, a ten-foot-wide alcove contains a large mound of furs framed by dozens of sticks mounted with the ash-smeared skulls of many birds and small animals.

Six other kobolds mill about the room, and seated on the large mound is the chieftain of the Sootscale tribe. Mikmek bows to the chief and holds up the devil statuette over his head. "Chief Sootscale! These tall folk have helped us recover sacred statue of Old Sharptooth! Now we will not be cursed!"

The chief looks at the statue before nodding. "Yes. The curse that Tartuk spoke of. A bad curse, indeed." He turns to regard you. "You are returning the statue as a kindness, or do you want something in exchange?"


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri wants to answer 'we want the ring' but she knows enough about the theory of negotiation and politics to know that they may be the friendship more.

She keeps her mouth shut, looking up to the silver tongued Deregar, for his abilities.


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

Deregar speaks to the chief, with Tyr acting as his wingman. He makes sure that his sleeves are rolled up so his draconic tattoos are on full display.

"We're returning it, but we'd like something for our collection in exchange. There's a ring that you seized from the mitflits. We'd like to take it."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Hero Point: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Are you kidding me?


"Very smooth," Jaethal murmurs as the kobolds bristle a bit at Deregar's harsh words.

Chief Sootscale narrows his eyes for a moment, but then he nods. "Fine. Give me the statue." Mikmek approaches reverently and offers it to the chief. Cihief Sootscale holds it in his hands with a fierce look of concentration, as if he were making a particularly difficult decision. After a tense moment, he shrieks in triumph, raises the statue over his head, and then smashes it down onto the ground, shattering it. The other kobolds in the room freeze in absolute shock while the chief, a frantic grin on his snout, laughs!

"Ha ha! Yes! Thank you, tall folk! You have freed us from this curse! Now, we will kill the usurper!"

The chief explains the situation. A few weeks ago, a strange purple kobold arrived and quickly rose to prominence in the tribe. Calling himself Tartuk, this mysterious kobold has firmly entrenched himself in the role of the Sootscales’ spiritual leader, in part by capitalizing on their fear of Old Sharptooth, but also by frightening them with displays of his magic. Early on, kobolds that questioned his right to rule were called out as “bad kobolds” who were sacrificed to prevent the curse of Old Sharptooth from descending upon them all. Tartuk has allowed Chief Sootscale to maintain his position as tribe leader, but the chief is no fool. He knows it's only a matter of time before Tartuk comes for him.

"But now Old Sharptooth's power over us is broken. Tartuk's time has come! Will you help me take my tribe back?" Chief Sootscale asks you.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

"Absolutely." Sariana replies firmly, since Deregar seems to not have the measure of these people. "We fight together, as allies, to reclaim your tribe then once I found my kingdom on the surface we shall be allies once again! Now, let us spill blood to mark our pact!"


Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

Floare raises an eyebrow at 'my kingdom', but doesn't protest. "Where is Tartuk now?" is her only question.


Chief Sootscale leads you and the other kobolds deeper into the caves. A rickety wooden frame formed from clean-cut branches lashed together with gut and twine runs the perimeter of this cavern. Upon the frame, banners cut from two-foot-wide strips of old blankets and horsehides hang from floor to ceiling, covering much of the walls. The sloppily painted banners bear dozens of eerie icons and mystic symbols. A great iron cauldron filled with bubbling red liquid boils in the center of the room.

Tartuk the strange purple-scaled kobold is here, along with his two fanatic black-scaled followers. Tartuk's eyes bulge when he sees you standing behind the angry chief. "What is the meaning of this?" he demands.

"I am taking my tribe back!" Chief Sootscale declares. "Old Sharptooth's power is broken, and your time has come, Tartuk!"

"No! I have the magic power here!" Tartuk insists. "You will bow to me."

The other kobolds behind the chief hiss and snarl, showing their allegiance. "Never!" Chief Sootscale shouts as he charges in! The two fanatic followers move to protect Tartuk as he steps back behind them.

Initiative:
Deregar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Floare: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Sariana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Tandri: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Enemies: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Everybody but Floare may act!


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

"We will help you, Chief, if you and your tribe will ally with us afterward."

~+~+~+~

Deregar unleashes a blast of lightning at Tartuk and one of the followers, while Tyr approaches in the confusion. The dragon bites at the zapped hench-dragon.

◆◆Act Together (Deregar: Cast electric arc, Tyr: Stride), ◆Strike

electricity: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8DC 18 basic Reflex

jaws: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 for piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Sariana waltzes between the kobold guards like a shadow and lashes out at the purple kobold!

Flurry: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 151d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 141d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 91d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
DC15 fort if hit.
HP reroll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Move, stance, flurry.


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

"how did we end up in a kobold civil war?" Tandri asks Floare as she shoves magical pain in the same henchman Deregar is attacking.

casting Daze, dc 18 vs will, 4 points of damage

She also fires her crossbow at it.

crossbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7


Will vs Daze: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Reflex vs Electric Arc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 101d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Fortitude vs Stun: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

The kobold warrior Tandri dazes reels as the spell assaults his mind. Her crossbow bolt finds its mark, too, and he goes down! Deregar unleashes a blast of lightning that catches the other warrior square in the chest, though Tartuk manages to evade it. Tyr's jaws clamp down on the wounded warrior, finishing him off. The way is clear for Sariana to rush at Tartuk, striking him with a heroic effort. The purple kobold avoids being stunned, though.

"Damn you!" Tartuk shrieks. He casts a spell to try to frighten Sariana before raising a magical shield!

Sariana must attempt a DC 20 Will save against fear. Everybody may act.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Sariana is badly shaken by the kobold's spells, but unfortunately for the kobold her instinctive response to fear is to kill it!

Flurry, Strike, Strike: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 271d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 211d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 81d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

She does so by lashing out at the kobold's leg and then smashing a knee into its purple snout.


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

Deregar flings more magic across the chasm while Tyr moves to attack the spellcasting kobold.

◆◆Act Together (Deregar: Cast electric arc, Tyr: Stride), ◆Strike

electricity: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 DC 18 Basic Reflex, same targets

jaws: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 for piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

As her target falls, she feels a satisfaction her parents would berate her for, claiming her demonic blood was tainting dwarven lawfulness. But she was in the middle of a battle, so now is not the time for remembering painful lectures.

Instead, the dwarven woman sends her mental pain into the one remaining foe, then starts cocking her crossbow again.

daze, dc 18 vs will, 4 points of damage


Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20
Tandri Rumblespark wrote:
"how did we end up in a kobold civil war?" Tandri asks Floare as she shoves magical pain in the same henchman Deregar is attacking.

"Just lucky, I guess," Floare mutters back, beginning a spell.

{A}{A}{A} Summon Animal

A moment later and a large viper appears near the purple kobold.

{A} Viper Fang Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Viper Fang Damage - P + Vendom: 1d8 - 3 ⇒ (6) - 3 = 3
Viper Venom (poison) Saving Throw DC 16 Fortitude; Maximum Duration 4 rounds; Stage 1 1d8 poison (1 round)

Current Status/Spells:

Current HP: 22/22
Current Focus: 2/2
Current Effects: n/a
Focus Spells
Cantrips (1) - DC 17 - wilding word
1 - DC 17 - blood ward

Prepared Spells
Cantrips (1) - DC 17 - guidance, healing plaster, produce flame, protect companion, tanglefoot
1 - DC 17 - heal, summon animal, magic fang


Fortitude vs Venom: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Fortitude vs Stun: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Will vs Daze: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Reflex vs Electric Arc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Amiri and Valerie move around to the cavern's far side, forming a wall to cut off Tartuk's escape route. As Linzi begins her inspiring chant, Floare summons a viper that sinks its fangs into the purple kobold's leg! Sariana unleashes another flurry, landing a solid hit before following up with a critical uppercut! Tartuk blocks with his shield spell, causing it to burst, and he shrieks as he is badly wounded! The kobold resists Tandri's daze and Deregar's electricity.

"No! No, no, no, this is not how this was supposed to go!" Tartuk whines. He casts another spell and turns invisible, and you can hear his clawed feet against the dirt floor nearby, though with the exits blocked, he can't have gotten far!

Everybody is up.

Enemy Status:
-49


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

"Oh bother!" Tandri swears, her brow furrowed. Her amber eyes look for any clue on the ground, dust being disrupted, claw scraping the rock, anything...

seek: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

Tyr's sharp sense of smell pinpoints the invisible kobold. "There you are, you sneak!" the dragon hisses. He slithers over and bites at the invisible spellcaster.

Point Out, Stride, Strike

jaws: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 for piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Hidden Flat Check: 1d20 ⇒ 1


Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

"Oh!" Floare exclaims in surprise. A vanishing kobold was not something she expected. Reaching down, she puts a hand on Dante.

I can smell him, Mom. I think I know where he is, let me bite him!

Floare considers for just a moment before sending magic down into the wolf pup.

"Have at him, my good boy."

{A}{A} Magic Fang, {A} Sustain summon animal

Dante Target Hidden Foe vs DC 11: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Dante Bite Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 1 = 22
Dante Bite Damage - P: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (1) = 5

Viper Target Hidden Foe vs DC 11: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Viper Fang Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Viper Fang Damage - P + Vendom: 1d8 - 3 ⇒ (7) - 3 = 4
Viper Venom (poison) Saving Throw DC 16 Fortitude; Maximum Duration 4 rounds; Stage 1 1d8 poison (1 round)

Current Status/Spells:

Current HP: 22/22
Current Focus: 2/2
Current Effects: n/a
Focus Spells
Cantrips (1) - DC 17 - wilding word
1 - DC 17 - blood ward

Prepared Spells
Cantrips (1) - DC 17 - guidance, healing plaster, produce flame, protect companion, tanglefoot
1 - DC 17 - heal, summon animal, magic fang

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

With two animals pouncing on something Sariana trusts in her furry friends and aims for the same place!

Flurry, Strike: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 151d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Flat Checks: 2d20 ⇒ (19, 8) = 27
Damage: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (5, 6) + 4 = 15
Fort save DC15 vs. stun.


Tyr fails to hit Tartuk, but Floare's viper sinks its fangs into the invisible kobold. Sariana steps up and unleashes a flurry of blows, and one of her strikes makes contact. She can feel bones breaking beneath her fist, and with a strangled groan, Tartuk collapses at her feet.

The invisibility ends, revealing the body of the strange purple kobold. A few moments later, though, the body twists and changes. Scales disappear, to be replaced by bruised and bloodied skin. Hair grows on the body's head, and soon you find yourselves standing over the body of not a kobold, but a gnome. And a familiar one at that--Tartuccio!

Chief Sootscale and the other kobolds gasp in shock. "What sorcery is this?" the chief asks.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

"You were tricked." Sariana says, giving the corpse a kick. "He probably wanted to take over your tribe and use you as his own army. Cowardly behaviour! But he is dead and we are now allies, are we not?" She pauses to let Tyr translate anything that needs explaining.


"Yes. The Sootscale tribe is in your debt," Chief Sootscale says, bowing to you. "You may take all of the treasures that this false kobold claimed for himself. I promise that we will pay you back further at some point of the future as best we can."

Tartuccio's personal gear consists of a cold iron sickle and a wand of magic missile. In addition, there is a large heap of treasure in his den. This mound consists of a huge amount of worthless shiny objects, such as quartz and mica crystals, bits of metal, broken weapons and armor, and other garbage. In addition, the pile contains 320 cp, 42 sp, 12 gp, two sleep arrows, a +1 weapon potency runestone, and a soiled leather bag. Inside the bag are the treasures stolen from the mitflits (who in turn stole them from the Thorn River bandits, who took them from Oleg’s Trading Post). The leather bag contains 21 sp, 9 gp, 1 pp, one dose of dust of appearance, and a plain brass wedding ring set with a single pearl—this is Svetlana’s wedding ring, worth 12 gp as an item of jewelry but far more to Oleg and Svetlana.

Tartuccio's personal journal, written in Gnomish, sits on a table here as well. Within its pages, the bitter gnome mentions several times that he hopes to achieve success in gaining a hold in the Stolen Lands so that he can impress his “patron,” but nowhere in the text does he reveal this patron is Pitax. The final dozen pages of the journal contain information on his plans to infiltrate the Sootscales and use them as a force to control the region. They also mentioned that he abandoned Harrim somewhere in the woods before coming here.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

"You are wise and generous, great chief." Sariana replies, returning the bow. "We are fortunate to have such strong allies as you. This treasure is yours, and we will take only a little for ourselves, as is fitting."

Unless anyone strenuously objects Sariana collects the groups 'little' portion, claiming the gold coins, arrows, rune and the soiled bag but leaving the vast pile of shiny objects, as well as the majority of the copper and silver coins to the kobolds.

She can't read gnomish so the journal is of no interest to her, but as they journey back to Oleg's Trading Post and the contents are gradually deciphered, she nods in interest.

"Well that's one rival dispensed with." She says eventually. "This 'patron' may be an issue, but the gnome was a broken instrument so I doubt whoever it was will care much."

Now that Amiri and she are firm friends Sariana turns her attentions in the evening to Jaethal, finding herself genuinely interested in the unusual Urgathoan.

Intim to Influence: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri slips the journal out of Sariana's hands, "I speak gnomish" she says and busied herself with reading it aloud in the campsite. "Oh..." she exclaims when she gets to his descriptions of the barbarian woman Amiri and his rather interesting desires when it came to her. Tandri's cheeks getting a bright pink as she stops reading aloud.

"We could look for Harrim." she suggests when she gets to that part quite a bit later, her voice holding a bit of desperate hope in it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

Floare joins Tandri in the reading of the journal. She doesn't speak Gnomish, but is happy to watch over her shoulder as the dwarf translates. When Tandri hesitates at the seamier portions, she blushes appropriately, but encourages her to whisper the translations in her ear.

Tandri Rumblespark wrote:
"We could look for Harrim." she suggests when she gets to that part quite a bit later, her voice holding a bit of desperate hope in it.

"Yes, the woods are, no doubt, dangerous. It would only be right to try to rescue him."


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

After hesitation, Tandri complies with Floare's encouragement, shielding her mouth she reads them in a warm whisper to the other woman's ear.

And she beams, with suitable restraint, at Floare's agreement about finding the other dwarf.


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

Deregar feels oddly reluctant to leave the kobold's hoard behind, but he convinces himself that most of it is garbage, and not worthy of hanging on to.

I can use the magic misile wand, can anyone else? I usually have other actions I want to work on, but it's a good backup for someone to hang on to.


Sariana:
Sariana's fearsome nature impresses Jaethal as they converse in the camp that night. The elven inquisitor gives the monk an appraising look. "I must confess, I have never met a full-fledged vampire before. A few dhampirs, yes, but yours is a unique case. I wouldn't mind learning more about how you came to be in your current state of undeath, if you'd be so inclined as to share..."

You have gained 1 Influence Point with Jaethal.

***

Over the next few days, you make your way across the rolling hills of the Greenbelt as you ride back towards Oleg's Trading Post. You come across a few mitflits at one point, but they quickly shriek and flee when they see you coming, knowing you could wipe them out without breaking a sweat!

Soon enough, you arrive back at the trading post. Svetlana is overjoyed at the return of her wedding ring, giving each of you a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek! Oleg rewards you with a 50 gp line of credit for any gear purchased at the trading post. He also arranges to send word to Restov of your newfound alliance with the Sootscale kobolds. A reward of 40 gp for securing the alliance will arrive within a week's time.

In the meantime, it seems another traveler has arrived at the trading post--a wandering, Erastil-worshipping druid named Jhod Kavken. Jhod introduces himself to you, saying that he heard about the exploration charter and came to offer his help.

"I wonder if you might be able to help me as well," Jhod says. "In my travels, I've heard tales of a lost temple to Erastil somewhere to the south, in the forests of the Narlmarches. I would like to reconsecrate it to Old Deadeye, but I need you to locate it first and ensure it is safe for me to visit. I had a vision recently about the temple. A large bear seems to be guarding the site, but something is not quite right about the bear. If you do find the temple, I would urge you to be cautious."

Quest log updated.

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Jaethal:
"A tale for a tale is a trade I'll accept." Sariana replies lightly. "Take some time to think about it and we can talk tomorrow night if you want."

The next night, with the trade agreed Sariana folds herself into a sitting position near the fire and begins to speak. She addresses Jaethal but doesn't stop any other curious ears from listening in.

"Most vampires are created by another vampire draining them of blood and replacing it with their own." She begins, "But you know that of course. I wasn't. It was just before Earthfall and my tribe, along with many others, had met at our sacred meeting place to discuss what was happening. We cried out to the gods to save us and Zon Kuthon answered our prayers. Those of us who were great among the tribes were transformed by his power and we founded Nidal among the wreckage of Earthfall. So, unlike those lesser vampires spawned through other means," She retains enough tact to not mention Urgathoa specifically, "I am a pure vampire, without sire or spawn. Although I'm weaker than I once was."

It's apparent from her tone however that while she might be free of spawn she is definitely not free of pride.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

***
"We'll do what we can." Sariana offers the priest. Old Deadeye may not be her god of choice, but his ideas on the importance of law and community are not too far from her own views. "Do you have any more idea where it is exactly?" She pulls out the rough map the group have been using to try and jog Jhod's memory.


Sariana:
Jaethal's eyes widen slightly. "Impressive. I have never met a Nidalese progenitor before. It explains much about you and your demeanor. I appreciate the insight, Lady Nightsong.

"As for me... Long ago, I was a prominent judge in the elven homeland of Kyonin. After several centuries navigating the subtle and vicious intrigues of the courts, though, life began to lose its luster for me. I repeatedly sought to restore vivacity to my life and pursue perfection, with mixed results. Inspired by rituals of the Pallid Princess, goddess of indulgence and undeath, I resorted to heinous crimes to find what I sought.

"I harvested several members of my own family to bestow a renewed power and ecstasy over my senses and body. I murdered my own flesh and blood. And the results...were glorious." Jaethal looks at Sariana. "I'd never felt more alive. Alas, it wouldn't last. When the court I had once presided over learned of what I had done, they exiled me from Kyonin. But that punishment wasn't enough for some of my former kin. They hunted me down on the road and killed me. Left my corpse for the scavengers.

"Yet the blood sacrifice I had wrought was not in vain—it was sufficient to gain the favor of Urgathoa and transform me to ageless undeath. I rose from death and fled further into the River Kingdoms and Brevoy. Losing myself in chaotic lands that held no grip over my tarnished soul, I sought a new purpose and space to weave new intrigues. And, thanks to you and your companions, I have found it."

Jaethal smiles almost imperceptibly. "I appreciate your interest in me. Here, this scroll may be of use to you." She offers a rolled-up parchment to Sariana.

You have reached maximum Influence with Jaethal. She gives you a scroll of restoration (2nd) as a gift.

***

Jhod looks at the map, then shakes his head. "I don't know where it could be. Sorry I can't be of more help."


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

Deregar consults with Valerie about the current progress of the expedition.

"What do you think of our deal with the kobolds? I know they are an unconventional alliance, but you never know where you can find an ally." Deregar remembers the discovery of Tartuccio, "Or an enemy, I suppose. In my mind, we should be on the lookout for friends out here and alert for enemies."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

~+~To Jhod~+~
"We'll be heading back out in that direction, so we will certainly look. It wouldn't hurt to have the Hunter on our side."

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Floare:
After bidding Jaethal goodnight Sariana makes her way to the edge of the camp where Dante is stalking small night creatures and Floare is staring at the rising moon.

"This is for you, from Jaethal." Sariana says, offering the scroll. "So... what did she tell you about me?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

Sariana:
"What did who tell me about you?" Floare responds with momentary confusion. "Oh, Jaethal?" She looks away as if considering her words. Dante comes romping back and grabs at the vampire's trousers with a playful growl.

"Dante, be nice. Ask before you assume," the witch corrects in a distracted voice. In response, the wolf-pup releases his hold and sits back on his haunches, looking up at Sariana with a toothy grin.

"She ... uh ... mentioned that vampires sometimes ... like to play with their prey." She turns to meet Sariana's eyes with her own without flinching. "Is that what you're doing? With Tandri? With me?"

Dark Archive

| HP 36/60 | AC:20 | Fo:+10 Re:+10 Wi:+9 | Dec/Itm +6[7], Per/Med/Nat +7, Stl +8, Ath +10 | Fangs/Fists +11 2d8+4 | Ki 0/1 | Active Conditions:

Floare:
Sariana scoops the wolf cub up and scratches him firmly between his ears in the spot she knows he likes before she turns to Floare with a slow stare.

"Is that what you think I'm doing?" She asks, voice curiously flat. "Playing with you? Oh my sweet thing, if I was playing with you then you'd know. You wouldn't need to ask." A slight undercurrent creeps into her words and she shifts Dante under one arm, stepping close to Floare and cupping her chin in her other cold hand.

"Unless that's what you want...?"[/smaller The whisper is soft, intimate and Floare hears a faint sussaration behind it, as though tiny voices were screaming as she spoke. [smaller]"Is it Sweet Thing? Would you like me to play with you?"


Female Dwarf Tiefling Cleric 4 | HP 12/50 | AC 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +12 | Perc +10; darkvision, low-light vision | hero point 0 she's the pink one: Active Conditions:

Tandri's eyes grow hot as they meet the priest. She does not like Erastil, probably due to her horror show of a family. No promises are made from her, but she probably wouldn't have made them anyway. Instead she retreats to the room she has been given and reads. Alone.


Female Human Witch (Wild) 4 | HP 36 | AC 17 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus 2 | Hero Point: 2/3 || Familiar (Dante) AC 17 | HP 20

Sariana:
Sariana's eyes hold Floare's locked in place as a mouse is held in place by the hunting serpent. The silence stretches out until the witch reaches out to take Dante from Sariana's arms into her own.

"I'm not a fan of most games," she replies in a calm voice. "Although, I have been known to play Towers from time to time. I consider myself quite good at it, by the way."


Deregar Rogarvia wrote:
"What do you think of our deal with the kobolds? I know they are an unconventional alliance, but you never know where you can find an ally." Deregar remembers the discovery of Tartuccio, "Or an enemy, I suppose. In my mind, we should be on the lookout for friends out here and alert for enemies."

"Convention is overrated," Valerie replies. "Especially out here in the wilds, the usual rules and expectations of society often do not apply. We must take advantage where we can if we hope to tame these lawless lands. I think our alliance with the Sootscales is a boon, and I am grateful that we were able to thwart Tartuccio's schemes before they could escalate any further."

She looks around the trading post at the rest of the party members going about their business. She smiles. "We are proving to be quite the formidable team. Let us keep up the good work."

You have gained 2 Influence points with Valerie.


The next day, you head into the woods southwest of Oleg's Trading Post to begin exploring the area. It is slower going than on the plains, so it takes a few days to fully canvass the area. Eventually, though, you come upon a large patch of delicious moon radishes growing in an arrowhead-shaped clearing. Four Sootscale kobolds lie on their backs in the center of the patch, bellies full of the spicy roots and three overfilled baskets of radishes lying nearby. Since you have an alliance with the kobolds, they happily allow you to harvest some of the radishes, which Svetlana has requested to make her famous moon radish soup!

The next day, you proceed further west into the woods. Searching around this area for a while, you eventually hear cursing and muttering in the Dwarven tongue. Following the sounds leads you to Harrim! The dwarven cleric looks rough--his beard is patchy and unkempt, his armor and shield are dirty, and he is slightly emaciated.

"Ah. You're a sight for sore eyes," he mutters. "Groetus has heard my prayers, and has chosen to delay my inevitable demise, at least for the time being."


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

"Did Greotus lead you out into the woods? How did you end up here?"

Though he knows that Tartuffio abandoned the dwarf, Deregar is curious to here Harrim's side of the story.

"Here, you look famished. Have a radish!"

Assuming we have extra radishes. If not, I'd give him a ration.

Diplomacy (Make an Impression? Influence?): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


Harrim takes a bite of the spicy radish, making a face as he crunches it. "Bah! Reduced to eating vegetables. What I wouldn't give for a nice, big, steaming plate of haggis right now!

"That bloody gnome abandoned me here just a few days after coming to the Stolen Lands. I've been lost in these damned woods for weeks, trying to find my way out, but I just end up walking in circles! I'm pretty sure there's some faerie magic working against me here! I keep hearing strange noises and seeing odd lights. I've tripped over my laces that were suddenly tied. My gear went missing from my pack, and I found it was full of rocks instead! It's been maddening!"


LN male skilled human summoner 4 HP 56/56 | AC 19 | F +9 R +7 W +8 (+1 vs sleep/paralysis)| Perc +8 | Resist Fire 5 speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 0 | Active Conditions: Stupefied 2

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there were fey in these woods. It's a suitably wild place. We took care of that gnome--he won't be bothering you, or anyone else, again." Deregar hopes that's a reassurance for the dwarf, though with his dour manner, it's hard to tell.

"Is there anywhere nearby to rest? Would you like to join us? We'll lead you out of here, if nothing else."


"There isn't much here but trees and more trees," Harrim says. "But I'll join up with you. I will want to explore these lands. Perhaps it will go better in your company than it did with Tartuccio. And if it all ends in miserable failure once more, then I will accept it as Groteus's will."

401 to 450 of 978 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Kingmaker 2E: Table 1 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.