GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—High Tier

Game Master KingTreyIII

Maps
Character Profiles


1 to 50 of 544 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Reporting in."

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 0/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, hghtnd awrns, SR, GrAngAspct

An elf cleric has joined the party.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Hello everyone! calls out a short human woman with long blond hair dressed in somber chelaxian clothing. She pushes back her cowl and bounces into the room. I am sure this is going to be terribly exciting and that we will all be the very best of friends.

She sticks out her hand to Grognar, Anariel, pleasure to meet you. A lot of my adopted uncles are part orc, I am sure we are going to work well toether. I always wondered if that was what made them angry all the time?


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

It has been quite some time since any of these Seekers last saw a missive like this: no matter where in the world or beyond they were, a letter was handed to them by a courier, and it bore the seal of the Decemvirate. The summons requested they go directly to Skyreach immediately.

*

“Greetings, Pathfinders,” says a man wearing a triple-spired helmet as he strides purposefully into the room. The helmet marks him as a member of the Decemvirate, one of the enigmatic leaders of the Pathfinder Society. Until I started prepping these scenarios, I was actually unaware that the Ten each had their own helms and didn’t all look the same; the image in the Character Profiles is that of a specific member of the Decemvirate—this one—rather than what all of the Ten look like. “You are here because you are the finest that the Pathfinder Society has to offer. Time and again, you have been entrusted with tasks of utmost importance, and you have always carried them through to success. I have personally summoned you here with yet another perilous mission—one that requires great discretion. As I am sure you have heard, the nation of Lastwall is reeling beneath the onslaught of an undead invasion, triggered by the release of the Whispering Tyrant from his prison.”

Knowledge (local) 10:
Within the past few months, rumors have spread like wildfire that the Whispering Tyrant has been freed and that the nation of Lastwall has fallen to the lich’s power to the point of a mass evacuation of the country; people have even taken to calling the former bulwark against the Tyrant as the Gravelands.

Knowledge (history) 10:
The Whispering Tyrant is one of the most infamous liches in history.

If you exceed the DC by 10+, open the spoiler below

Spoiler:
Tar-Baphon was an immensely powerful wizard who terrorized Golarion about 3,000 years ago, conquering nations and ruling with an iron and merciless fist. His reign only ended when the god Aroden slew him personally. But death at the hands of a god wasn’t the end of the Whispering Tyrant, who eventually rose again as a lich. Again, he conquered the nearby lands and re-established his rule. After almost a century of crusades against him, heroes were finally able to imprison him within the tower that had been the seat of his power—Gallowspire.

“The majority of our Pathfinder forces have been dispatched to deal with this grave threat, which leaves the Society open to threats from other enemies. These scenarios run chronologically parallel to Siege of Gallowspire, which is what the Decemvirate member is referring to. In particular, I have received word that Grandmaster Torch is once again on the move and working to capitalize on the current crisis. Although Torch’s past is complicated, his wanton disregard for bystanders and increasingly aggressive gambits against the Society have left us no choice:”

The three-flanged Decemvirate member takes a deep breath as he says his next words very slowly and with unwavering seriousness. ”The time has come to kill Grandmaster Torch.” He pauses to let his words sink in.

”We’ve long wondered where he acquired his most damning intelligence, and in the past year we identified his principal contact: a gnome named Eylysia who was once a member of the Pathfinder Society. She is not the same justice-minded visionary that she was in the Society’s early days. It appears that a combination of estrangement, Torch’s influence, and perhaps even the Bleaching have left blood on her hands—a great deal of blood. Together, the two of them are planning one last attack that could destroy the Society as we know it. At this point it’s clear that even in apparent isolation, Eylysia poses an ongoing threat to the Society she once championed.

“Although Torch remains elusive, we have learned that Eylysia has hidden herself away on Mediogalti Island. I have arranged for you to be teleported to Azir, where a ship waits to carry to you to Ilizmagorti, a pirate haven located on Mediogalti Island. Once there, seek out the villa of Stanton Strake. He is a retired pirate captain who once served as a contact for the Pathfinder Society. Strake keeps abreast of Pathfinder news, and I believe he is in communication with Eylysia. Use Strake to discover her whereabouts, then confront her to learn Torch’s location. If she proves unwilling to return to face justice, eliminate her. The Pathfinder Society can no longer afford to have enemies fomenting discord in the shadows.

“A final word of caution, Pathfinders. As you are likely aware, Mediogalti Island is the main stronghold of the Red Mantis assassins. Any Pathfinders discovered on the island are summarily executed. The assassins have considerable resources, both magical and mundane, that they use to ferret out spies. There are few places in Golarion more dangerous for a Pathfinder agent to travel. Be sure to take every precaution to conceal your presence there.

“Now, I’m sure you’ve heard this far too many times during your days with the Society, but are there any questions?”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info
Anariel Gallonica wrote:

...

She sticks out her hand to Grognar, Anariel, pleasure to meet you. A lot of my adopted uncles are part orc, I am sure we are going to work well toether. I always wondered if that was what made them angry all the time?

Grognar accept the handshake. "Very nice to meet you. You likely know more half-orcs than I do. Aside from the few I have trained as pathfinders I don't know many. I was raised on a farm by two sweet old halfing thus I'm more comfortable being helpful rather than angry."

Conversationally grognar will attempt to add the knowledge check (for fun as it is not needed).

local aid : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
history aid: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 +4 to whoever wants to take the lead.

"Didn't he also... and there was that other thing too... then didn't they have to leave."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 8/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 4/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly

A tall, handsome Taldan enters the hall, an exquisite darkwood longbow slung across his back. He slides his backpack into the shadows by the door and looks out across the room at the assembled heroes. Nodding to the Decemvirate host, he speaks.

"I apologize. I would have come sooner but I was seeing my brother and sister off. They head to the nation of Lastwall to counter the great threat you have spoken of. Perhaps if this mission is brief, I may join them there as well."

Regarding the mission presentation, Thereus struggles to keep up with the conversation, and certainly defers to those more traveled or knowledgeable. But he does offer one question.

"So you say the time has come to kill the Grandmaster. I'll assume he has been given due process as his deeds are legendary, if not complicated. What of the gnome woman? Are we simply to execute her at your behest as well?"

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar looks through some of his journals.

"Do we know what race the Mantis are in this area?"

"Do we know if they have demonic, diabolic, or otherworldly allies in the area?'

"What is the travel time from Ilizmagorti to villa of Stanton Strake?"

"Does this former pirate captain know of your suspicions and could he be in league with Torch?"

"Do you suspect mind control for Eylysia? My experience is it is trivial for man pathfinders to detect such magic by interrogating intent."

Turning to the group.

"I'm a reasonably good speaker though my reading suggests that Anariel is better is anyone skilled deceit? If I am being honest I'm a rather bad liar."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Meeting a member of the Decemvirate Anariel is almost bursting with excitement. Hello, yes, this is amazing, I love your Hat, might I examine it to determine if there are any latent enchantments it possesses which you havent discovered yet? I am sure you Decemvirate lot are pretty good at this stuff but it should probably be dealt with by an expert.

She pauses, Oh, this is about Gallowspire and the Tyrant. Of course we know whats going on, I have just recently come from there, I had to help out some of the family who were trying to find their way through the outer Gardens. It is all a bit of a mess but at the end of the day Tar Baphon is just some mouldy old Lich with delusions of granduer. I am sure it will all be dealt with quick sharp. After all, necromancy is one of the more limited schools of magic. I use a bit of it here and there, I've got some silly undead mammoths pulling my caravans across the Crown of the World. It's all much easier as they dont need feeding or anything. Oh, I suppose that isnt relevant. Sorry, you were saying something about Gallowspire, yes. Whole place is in a mess since Tar Baphon got out.

At the mention of killing Torch she grows a little more serious. You want us to out and out murder someone. Not sure how I feel about that. My older brother did once threaten to stick me in an imprisonment spell if I didnt marry some stupid fat Taldon noble but murder? I know he has done a lot of dubious and shady stuff but hasn't half the society? And what about this Eylysia, what has she done to desrve being killed?

Anariel cannot fail those knowledge checks

At Grognars questions Anariel beams at him, Oh sweetie, everyone just loves me, I dont know why but its infectious. I am sure I can talk us through any problems and if not I can just take control of their minds and make them do what we want. After all, Magic solves all of our problems.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Then I will leave the lying to you. I do agree that Touch is evil and so are most of us. We are all killers or complicit in killing, thieves and grave robbers. I can only hope that we bring justice opon those worse than ourselves and those more godly are merciful when then judge on us. If you want to bring in Eylysia and Torch alive I will do my best though I assume handing them over is the same as killing them if we can't affect a meaningful change ourselves."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel scowls at Grognar and stamps her tiny foot, I am most certainly not evil and havent killed anyone who didnt try and kill me first! If we want to bring them in alive I can always just turn them into squirrels.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"I'm sorry I did not mean to make you feel like you need to defend yourself. I mean no judgement I once held a dragon down until it promised to do not further harm to people but I was likely naive and hurt a great many by not killing that dragon. He also, in fact, attacked me first. Like I said I'm not bright and I find good and evil very hard. Though I think and pray on it a lot."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel crosses her arms and pouts, I dont need to defend myself, if I did I would have turned you into a turtle by now and you could join the rest in the garden at which point she sticks her tongue out at Grognar and turns her back on him.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Good! Then we are in agreement that I was saying you don't need to defend yourself."

Grognar wipes his brow, and with oblivious sincerity says,

"Thank you for understanding. You are very nice."

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 0/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, hghtnd awrns, SR, GrAngAspct

A tall, imperious elven woman with skin the color of snow, hair of silvery blue, and ice blue eyes, nods a polite hello to all assembled. Silver circles and conjuring runes decorate her fine black robe.

”Kill the grandmaster after all these years...” she muses as much to herself as the other Pathfinders. Xanaphia observes silently but intently as Grognar, Therius, and Anariel ask for more details about the mission.

Keeping it a bit short today as I’m in a costume at work and I need to head home and get ready for our IRL Hell’s Rebels game.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Thereus wrote:
”What of the gnome woman?”

”She is old enough to have witnessed the dedication of the Grand Lodge, and she was directly involved in the deaths of several members of the Ten. She was banished from the Society centuries ago. For many years, Pathfinders sought to track her down, though none found her. Learning information about her has been difficult. She has not been heard from for hundreds of years, and most assumed her dead. In the intervening time, her treachery was almost lost to memory. But recent events have allowed more of the past’s secrets to come to light.”

Grognar the Oracle wrote:

"Do we know what race the Mantis are in this area?"

"Do we know if they have demonic, diabolic, or otherworldly allies in the area?'

"What is the travel time from Ilizmagorti to villa of Stanton Strake?"

"Does this former pirate captain know of your suspicions and could he be in league with Torch?"

"Do you suspect mind control for Eylysia? My experience is it is trivial for man pathfinders to detect such magic by interrogating intent."

”The church of Achaekek does not discriminate; expect anything.”

“We do not know, but fiends of some sort is likely.”

Strake’s villa is in Ilizmagorti; travel time is hand-waved.

”If she is mind controlled, I fear for who cast it upon her; she was among the most powerful mages at the Society’s disposal before she left.”

Anariel wrote:
”...I love your Hat, might I examine it...”

”I wear my helm to protect myself; I ask that you not make such jokes.”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Any advice on how to keep a low profile?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
"Any advice on how to keep a low profile?"

“The Red Mantis assassins keep a tight control of Ilizmagorti. They have informants everywhere, so using some sort of disguise would be wise. Certainly you should avoid displaying your wayfinders or any other signs of affiliation with the Pathfinder Society. Magical protections against divinations would also be of service, as the Red Mantis assassins have many powerful spellcasters within their ranks.”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel pouts and mutters, T'wasn't a joke, I like fancy magic hats.

At the mention of being discrete she beams and pipes up, I can help with that she shouts, skipping forward. With a click of her fingers she produces a book into the palm of her hand and starts flicking through it. Its in here somewhere, I know it...aha, here it is. I can cloak us all in an illusion using a seeming spell and then Mind Blank us all if there is time too. I can extend a few of them if needed. How are we getting to Mediogalti? How long will it take?

At the mention of Red Mantis casters she splutters, Yes, but we have me obviously so we will be fine!

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Seeming was my first though as well. Do you nondetection? It is a rather powerful spell for how little magic energy it takes from the caster. That could preserve more of your power for the inevitable combat."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel looks horrified, Nondetection costs money! Mind Blank doesnt and it lasts ages and ages. If we have time to get there I can just Mind Blank you all the day before and be at full strength. Provided everything is done in a day we are fine. If not I might have to fall back on Nondetection but that is fine too, I'm not some silly limited Wizard, my powers are far more flexible than that, OBVIOUSLY! With a click of her fingers the spellbook vanishes back into the palm of her hand.

Why yes, Anariel does have the ego of a teenage girl who wields vast cosmic power with almost no thought to there being any limitations on that power.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Obviously. I was just thinking that with your power you could extend far more Nondetections for a greater amount of total time protected. Though I don't know how many extend mindblanks you can cast before you are tapped. You seem very level headed I'm sure you will do what is best. I'm happy to cover the gold cost for you. Mask from divination is also worth thinking about."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel smiles at Grognar, Oh, aren't you so sweet. Yes, we should probably take along some nondetection components just in case we spend longer on the island. I could always pick up a copy of Nex's Secret Workshop, it would save us a bit of cash on components.

She turns back to the Decemvirate member. So, how are we getting there? I imagine we wont just teleport to the Island, too much chance of being spotted.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"We are being teleported to Azir, where a ship waits to carry to us to Ilizmagorti. Which, I hope means we will be able to fully prepare the precautions you have suggested."

Grognar looking back to his book to make sure he gets all the questions asked says, "What's Torch's plan? He is always after something."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Oh, Azir, what a miserable place full of po faced serious types. I hope we wont be there long but its a fair way to the Island, that should give us lots of time to prepare. I might even be able to use some spells to find Torch too and shortcut all this wandering about!

She pauses and cocks her head to one aide, I could, if we wanted to, planar bind something useful as well but that is always a bit tricky and might be too obvious when we get there. I suppose I could bind a devil or two, they might not be quite as conspicuous given the nature of the Cult. What do people think?


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
"What's Torch's plan? He is always after something."

“Other agents have uncovered preliminary plots against several lodges. However, his exact plans have yet evaded us, and we are bolstering security in the meantime.”

Sense Motive 34:
The Decemvirate member is withholding information.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Help could be great. Roughly how often to the creatures you bind do what you ask? Should I be there with dimentional anchor, ill omen and misfortune ready?"

Grognar is weary of binding magic but will help however he can.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 29 ⇒ (6) + 29 = 35

Oh sweetie, my bindings always work well, everyone just loves me and they never go wrong and if they do I make sure they have a little accident.

She looks around the room at the rest of the group, Well, they tend also to mostly bring a bit of muscle and you seem to have that covered. Its also a bit hard to conceal a massive great Ice Devil at which she lowers her voice, and I dont think Thereus would approve.

Anyway, with Xanaphia with us we probably have more than enough outsider support.

She stops and turns to the Decemvirate member, Is there anything else we should know, a mission like this sounds really dangerous, especially for Thereus there, poor dear has barely any magic to protect himself so if this goes wrong he cannot get himself out. Not like the rest of us. If you leave something out then it could cause us all sorts of complications, better to give us all the gory details. Her voice drops to an exagerated stage whisper, You can trust us, honestly!

In general I try not to engage in planar binding as it can get quite tedious and is normally really not needed. However, we are four players at tier 17-18 on hard mode so it might be useful. I do think hiding 14-18HD outsiders might be tricky and could well cause us more trouble than it solves.

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 0/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, hghtnd awrns, SR, GrAngAspct

”Just in case we need to make a quick exit, I have prepared these little knick-knacks that, when broken, will instantly transport us back to the Grand Lodge.” Xanaphia hands one to each of her fellow Pathfinders. "If we're considering longer-term outside...outsider help, I'd prefer to work with willing angels over forced devils, though. If and when trouble arises I can summon help for a couple minutes at least. And we don't even need to force or pay them."

Refuge: I made 6 items between missions. Also, if we'd rather ally than bind I could cast greater planar ally It's a bit pricey though.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Very smart Xanaphia. I have word of recall ready if we need to get out quickly as well."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Anariel Gallonica wrote:
If you leave something out then it could cause us all sorts of complications, better to give us all the gory details. Her voice drops to an exagerated stage whisper, You can trust us, honestly!

”It is not that I do not trust you, it is that I cannot—the Ten is built upon a foundation of need-to-know bases. All I can tell you is that the less you know about Torch’s plans, the less biased your own research will be.”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel takes the token, turning it over in her hand. Oh, these are quite neat, thank you. I was thinking of setting up a Getaway spell as well, the more ways we have to deal with trouble the better.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Since there doesn’t seem to be any more questions, I’d like to know what each of you are doing to try and conceal your presence, like the Decemvirate member said.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

First Grognar removes all pathfinder identification, next any religious livery. Knowing that Anariel has seeming and hiding from divination covered. He will pack all but the essential into a handy haver sac limiting what item are out. The finally he will physically cover himself. Not a lot fits over full plate so a tabard, leather raps, and stowing any other gear beneath his hemit, chest plate, gauntlets, and greaves etc.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel packs away her own wayfinder and flips out her spellbook from her glove of storing. Flicking through the pages she makes some adjustments to her prepared spells.

Ok everyone, I can hide you from magical divinations and make you look different but I cannot do anything for how you act. I can make you look like priates or mercenaries or a fairy princess but you still have to act the part.

With that she casts a series of spells on the party.

I will be maintaining mind blank on everyone as well as an extended seeming spell. Anyone who cannot see in the dark gets extended darkvision. I have my own buffs noted above. I cast hour/level or longer spells at the end of each day so they dont impact on spell slots unless needed. It may be that if we have a heavy day of fighting that I cannot maintain these in which case I will switch to different protections such as nondetection but at least for the first day we arrive they should all be up.

Seeming works like disguise self so it gives you a +10 bonus to any disguise checks. Anariel spends most of her time invisibile and mind blanked but if visible she will look like a pirate captain.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"You are the most skilled member with regard to deceit, as you have said. Being visible for the start may put our strongest foot forward. If I can avoid lying I can get us through many social situations. Pirates or privateers should work well."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 8/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 4/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly

"I can leave my wayfinder at the Grand Lodge for safekeeping. The rest of my equipment must rely on the protections of the party."

store smaller gear in handy haversack, keeping bow, quiver and falchion handy.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Most of the gear will be hidden by seeming but avoid getting touched."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel grins, Oh yes, this enchantment is a fairly simple one, avoid direct contact with people as they may well see through it. It might be sensible to dress the part of our disguises a bit as well as that way if someone see's through the seeming it wont look too incongruous.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"I usually look like me with crappier gear and rougher looking face."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Alright, so an extended mind blank and an extended seeming on everyone. Alright, gonna keep things moving.

The Seekers make their way to Azir and then to Mediogalti without incident.

*

Following some minor procedures with customs, the Pathfinders finally set foot into Ilizmagorti. The air about the town constantly feels tense; even a casual stroll down the streets earn some curious glances, but the Pathfinders know that it’s not necessarily because they stand out, but more accurately that everyone on the street is wary of the stranger next to them being a Red Mantis.

Asking around about Strake reveals quite a bit; most of the townsfolk refer to him as the “party guy,” and easily direct you to his villa on the northeast side of town, where he’s apparently “always throwing some kind of shindig.”

*

Four sleek pirate ships have been run aground near the harbor. The ships are laid out in a square and fashioned together with carpentry to form a walled enclosure. An open gate carved through the hull of the foremost ship leads into a pleasant garden, where a party is taking place. A stone villa rests near the back of the compound, protected by the ships’ walls.

Despite what the Pathfinders were told, there doesn’t seem to be anyone at the front gate taking invitations. With a shrug, the Seekers show themselves inside.

The air in Strake’s villa is uneasy, to say the least. Several party-goers seem to avoid yet occasionally glance toward a young, dashing human man sitting at a feasting table out in the garden while he very carefully polishes a single shoe in his hands.

Mingling amid the guests are several other persons of note: a grizzled human man wearing an eyepatch that appears to be one of the servants; a half-elf woman with green-tinted hair talking to a human man wearing extravagant clothing, both hold a glass of wine despite looking like they’ve had a bit too much already; and finally a halfling woman wearing a beautiful blue dress that is juxtaposed by the pirate hat on her head and the cutlass sheathed at her hip.

This first part is a bit of a roleplay encounter. You can talk to any of the people I’ve mentioned (the dashing human, the grizzled human, the half-elf and the extravagant human [you talk to both simultaneously], and the halfling).

What do you do?

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Before we leave the ship Anariel will cast some extra buff spells, extended heroism, extended see invisibility, extended echolocation and extended shapechange (using her rod). These will all take up spell slots from todays allocation. She normally travels invisibly in the form of a goblin which I assume wont look out of place in this hive of scum and villainy. If it would she will take the form of some other small sized humanoid which fits in.

Anariel scans the crowd and glances up to the group muttering,So, who do you want me to start with?

I have run this so I will leave it entirely to the party who you want to point me at.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"The half elf and the human seem to be a good start. It's less intrusive to talk to a group and twice the number of brains to pick."

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

OK, if you say so she says. Ducking around a corner she takes her small humanoid form and resumes being visible. Scurrying over to the table she pulls herself onto a chair and mutters, 'Scuse me sir and ma'am, ver sorry ta bother ya but I gots a message fer Mr Captain Strake, you would'na know who he is would'ya?

She bobs her head reflexively and clutches at her cap as she does so.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"It is our first time at one of his parties and we would like to greet our host. Can you tell us a little about the event?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

I’d say that a goblin is unassuming enough; they are almost socially acceptable in the Inner Sea Region at this point.

The half-elf woman turns to look at Anariel and immediately covers her face in disgust. ”Heavens! Who invited the commoners?”

“Come now, Jaxira; perhaps Strake invited them because of their shoes!”

The two laugh.

”If you are looking for the host, he is right over there.” The man points to the young man polishing a shoe. ”Perhaps now Strake is more attuned to you simpletons now that he’s snapped!”

They laugh once more.

”Go talk shoes with the madman; I can feel my brain cells dying just being in the presence of the uneducated.”

They laugh again.

I did say “almost socially acceptable.”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC36 T16 F34 |HP 204/204|198/276|CMD:44| F:+23 R:+17 W:+25| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Rare for the sophisticated to jump to such conclusions. I had always thought it was new money that insisted on flaunting their wealth but tradition are different around the world. I would say that not only is self moderation a key virtue of becoming independently wealth but also one I have observed in my religious scholarship studying faiths in Tain Xia and the Mwangi Expanse. So, I'm sure you will pardon some who like to remain incognito you must need subtly on occasion people must flock to you."

Religion: 1d20 + 34 ⇒ (16) + 34 = 50 To show I am not an idiot and to stop Anarial from having to give up her cover.

Diplomacy: 10 + 30 = 40 To express the idea that my social graces are worth their time.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The moment Grognar starts off on his theological prowess the two partygoers stare agape, look at one another, then back to the half-orc as they try—and largely fail—to regain their composure.

”M-my apologies, sir. I was not aware of your astute knowledge of such things. Origent here has had a bit too much fruit of the vine, if you ask me.

“Oh please, don’t speak as if you didn’t finish off an entire bottle of Strake’s personal collection from 4632 last night!”

“It’s not like anyone stopped me. And don’t remind me; I still have a headache...”

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 0/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, hghtnd awrns, SR, GrAngAspct

Xanaphia would gladly take darkvision, thank you. I’ve left a spell slot of each level open for now.
Xanaphia will cast false life from a wand and an extended communal air walk on anyone who can’t otherwise make themselves airborne before leaving the boat. She’ll put her wayfinder (slotted with her orange prism ioun stone) in her pathfinder pouch and use her sleeves of many garments to appear less like a regal priestess and more like a rough mercenary-type.
false life: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
communal air walk duration: 18 + 1d4 - 1 ⇒ 18 + (2) - 1 = 19 mins x20, divided among herself and those who request it.

”Since he … snapped? When did he snap?” Xanaphia asks.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
"Xanaphia Siannodel wrote:
”Since he … snapped? When did he snap?”

The human man sneers. ”We weren’t talking to—“

”I think she’s with the studious gentleman here...”

”Oh...my apologies. The host snapped this morning—“

“No, it was last night.”

“How would you know?”

“The bottle from 4632. Remember? Or did you have a bit too much 4599?”

“Right! Strake disappeared sometime last night and came back having lost his mind. I think...are you sure it was last night?”

“Maybe we did have a bit too much last evening...”

1 to 50 of 544 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—Subtier 17-18 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.