GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—High Tier

Game Master KingTreyIII

Maps
Character Profiles


251 to 300 of 602 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
White Stabilize; DC 32: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Despite her magic, when Xanaphia’s wounds close they immediately reopen, continuing to spill out her blood! And Yes, they all have a protection from good effect.

Grognar Staggered Duration: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Grognar Wis Drain: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Black five-foot-flies directly above Grognar and attacks him!

Black vs Grognar; higher ground:
Claw 1: 1d20 + 35 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 35 + 1 = 49
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Untyped Damage: 6d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 3, 6, 1, 5) = 23
Grognar Fort: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (11) + 23 = 34

Claw 2: 1d20 + 35 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 35 + 1 = 41
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Untyped Damage: 6d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 1, 5, 5, 6) = 25
Grognar Fort: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (1) + 23 = 24
Wis Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

HARD MODE: They Who Walk in Blood
Round 3
=====================
Anariel (-4) {6 images; staggered; round 0 of 1} [15’ above ground]
Grognar (-152; 4 Wis drain; 3 Wis damage) {prone; Staggered: round 0 of 2}
Xanaphia {Bleed 14; staggered: round 0 of 1}
Black Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Red Dinosaur {squeezing} [40’ above ground]
Yellow Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Blue Dinosaur {prone; Will save needed}
Black (-183) [5’ above ground]
Thereus (-7) {Staggered: Round 0 of 1}
Eylysia (-7) {staggered: round 0 of 1}
Saviya (-98) {hasted; 1 image} [40’ above ground]
Green (-98) {hasted; prone; Stunned: round 0 of 1}
Yellow (-98) {hasted; prone; Stunned: round 0 of 1}
Blue (-97) {hasted; Stunned: round 0 of 1}
Pink (-97) {hasted; Stunned: round 0 of 1}
Dashed Pink [40’ above ground]
Dashed Orange [40’ above ground]
Dashed Yellow [40’ above ground]
Dashed Green [40’ above ground]
Dashed Cyan [40’ above ground]
Dashed Blue [40’ above ground]
Dashed Purple [40’ above ground]
=====================

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

That wis is looking bad.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

His mind reeling from the prostrating command, Thereus tries to focus on the doom overtaking Grognar.

Single shot with smite: 1d20 + 31 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 31 + 5 = 49 Rapid shot damage: 1d8 + 25 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 25 + 7 = 38 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

Deadly Aim using Adaptive Seeking Holy Bow. Targeting black. Smite Saviya as swift. AC 37 (23 touch) vs Black and Saviya

Also, in case it comes up, Thereus threatens 10 feet around him and has 9 potential opportunity attacks per round. (Improved Snap Shot and Combat Reflexes)


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Eylysia steps over and attempts to heal Grognar!

Eylysia Concentration; DC 23: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20

”Rise, servants of Achaekek! Continue the will of the Mantis God!”

Saviya raises a hand and a glowing aura envelops the assassins and the soul eaters!

Spellcraft 24 +1 per 10’ from Saviya:

She then snaps her fingers and much of her wounds begin to close.

Spellcraft 19 +1 per 10’ from Saviya:

Healing to Saviya: 4d8 + 19 ⇒ (2, 8, 4, 3) + 19 = 36

Green and Yellow both pick up a single sawtooth sabre both provoke from Thereus The fly upwards back into flanking against Anariel.

Yellow Acrobatics vs Thereus CMD to avoid AoO: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (1) + 24 = 25
Green Acrobatics vs Thereus CMD to avoid AoO: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (5) + 24 = 29

Blue and Pink, however, both step into flanking against Xanaphia then pick up a single one of their fallen sabres both provoke from Thereus, two-hands them, then strike at the Sarenite!

Blue and Pink vs Xanaphia; flanking:
Blue: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 21 + 2 = 33
Damage: 1d8 + 9 + 7d6 ⇒ (1) + 9 + (5, 6, 5, 1, 3, 5, 1) = 36

Green: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 21 + 2 = 36
Damage: 1d8 + 9 + 7d6 ⇒ (4) + 9 + (6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2, 5) = 39

HARD MODE: They Who Walk in Blood
Round 4
=====================
Anariel (-4) {6 images} [15’ above ground]
Grognar (-152; 4 Wis drain; 3 Wis damage) {prone; Staggered: round 0 of 2}
Xanaphia (-89) {Bleed 14}
Black Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Red Dinosaur {squeezing} [40’ above ground]
Yellow Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Blue Dinosaur {prone; Will save needed}

Black (-37) [5’ above ground]
Thereus (-7)
Eylysia (-7)
Saviya (-62) {hasted; 1 image} [40’ above ground]
Green {hasted} [15’ above ground]
Yellow {hasted} [15’ above ground]
Blue {hasted}
Pink {hasted}
Dashed Pink [40’ above ground]
Dashed Orange [40’ above ground]
Dashed Yellow [40’ above ground]
Dashed Green [40’ above ground]
Dashed Cyan [40’ above ground]
Dashed Blue [40’ above ground]
Dashed Purple [40’ above ground]
=====================

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Do green and yellow not also need to stand up given they fell, took damage, and landed prone? Also, just checking, did Saviya cast quickened inflict wounds on herself? I cannot fail either spellcraft check. Also, a reminder for Grognar, heal will get rid of both the wisdom damage (but not drain) and the staggered condition.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel scowls as the woman heals her allies, Will you just stop that she snaps. You lot should be unconscious by now. Again lightning runs around her form and once again she erupts in a coruscading mass of electrical energy.

Defensively casting stomrbolts again using my last level 8 spell slot. DC36 fortitude save required, it hits all four assassins and the souleater. The save halves the damage and negates the stun.

Electrical damage: 19d8 ⇒ (3, 6, 1, 3, 5, 1, 6, 5, 4, 6, 1, 7, 2, 7, 6, 3, 5, 5, 7) = 83 plus 1 round of stun.

She then turns on the woman and sends another gout of acid at her, hoping to melt her away.

Following up with quickened intensified dragons breath as a 60' line. I think that hits a dinosaur as well but I assume Xanaphia is OK with that give they cannot do anything currently. DC35 reflex save for half.

Acid damage: 17d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 3, 2, 5, 2, 5, 1, 3, 2, 1, 6, 6, 1, 4, 3, 6) = 54

I have a move action left which I might use depending on what is happening with the assassins

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

Thereus spins around to pepper the assassins.

AOO 1: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (6) + 31 = 37 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (8) + 25 = 33 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10

AOO 2: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (6) + 31 = 37 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (1) + 25 = 26 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 5) = 9

AOO 3: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (5) + 31 = 36 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (3) + 25 = 28 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3

AOO 4: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (4) + 31 = 35 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (4) + 25 = 29 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6

AOO 5: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (1) + 31 = 32 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (8) + 25 = 33 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8

AOO 6: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (4) + 31 = 35 Damage: 1d8 + 25 ⇒ (5) + 25 = 30 and holy: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7

I'll let you determine targets depending on order of assassin actions


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Fishing for 20s: 5d20 ⇒ (10, 12, 4, 1, 6) = 33

Saviya Reflex w/cover: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 16 + 2 = 27

Considering Thereus hit with an AoO on all of them and they have rather low HP, I’m just gonna take the assassins off of the board.

EDIT: To answer Anariel’s questions: they can just fly up from prone in the same move action to fly (I allow the same thing with players). And I did not make a mistake; Saviya cast inflict critical wounds on herself.

HARD MODE: They Who Walk in Blood
Round 4
=====================
Anariel (-4) {6 images} [15’ above ground]
Grognar (-152; 4 Wis drain; 3 Wis damage) {prone; Staggered: round 0 of 2}
Xanaphia (-89) {Bleed 14}
Black Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Red Dinosaur {squeezing} [40’ above ground]
Yellow Dinosaur [30’ above ground]
Blue Dinosaur {prone; Will save needed}

Black (-120) [5’ above ground]
Thereus (-7)
Eylysia (-7)
Saviya (-116) {hasted; 1 image} [40’ above ground]
Dashed Pink [40’ above ground]
Dashed Orange [40’ above ground]
Dashed Yellow [40’ above ground]
Dashed Green [40’ above ground]
Dashed Cyan [40’ above ground]
Dashed Blue [40’ above ground]
Dashed Purple [40’ above ground]
=====================

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Cast Definsively: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35

Grognar in a last-ditch effort to not take more wisdom damage cast Euphoric Tranquility on the black shadow and makes a touch attack.

Touch: 1d20 + 18 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 18 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 34

If that seems to take Grognar will be picking a quickened spell based on success or failure.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Black is fully affected by the spell.

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Xanaphia moves 5’, orders the red dino out of the way, and casts greater dispel magic on the foes, targeting the protection from good effect.
Can’t fail the DC 23 concentration check.
dispel CL check: 1d20 + 18 + 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 18 + (3) - 1 = 21
folio reroll: 5 + 1d20 + 18 + 2 ⇒ 5 + (8) + 18 + 2 = 33
I still have a move and swift which I might want to use depending on that dispel. And the other dinos. Will check tomorrow.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Can’t go into too much detail, but that dispel check failed.

Still waiting on the swift actions of Xanaphia and Grognar.

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Planning my move in my head—I've been running around all day and now my GF wants to watch a movie but I'll post at some point before I go to bed.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Swift cast blessing of fervour.

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Xanaphia orders the dinos to fly back out of the way, then retrieves her greater quicken metamagic rod and uses it to cast summon monster IX, summoning some elder air elementals.
number?: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
The elementals all enter whirlwind form (touching the ground, as high as the ceiling or up to 60’) and go blowing through the foes (order below, paths as shown)
whirlwind DC 29
red damage: 2d8 + 11 ⇒ (6, 3) + 11 = 20
black damage: 2d8 + 11 ⇒ (8, 6) + 11 = 25
blue damage: 2d8 + 11 ⇒ (7, 1) + 11 = 19
yellow damage: 2d8 + 11 ⇒ (5, 5) + 11 = 21

Whirlwind (Su):
Some creatures can transform themselves into whirlwinds and remain in that form for up to 1 round for every 2 HD they have. If the creature has a fly speed, it can continue to fly at that same speed while in whirlwind form; otherwise it gains a fly speed equal to its base land speed (average maneuverability) while in whirlwind form.

The whirlwind is always 5 feet wide at its base, but its height and width at the top vary from creature to creature (minimum 10 feet high). A whirlwind’s width at its peak is always equal to half of its height. The creature controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet high.

The whirlwind form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the creature enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it touches or enters the whirlwind, or if the whirlwind moves into or through the creature’s space. A creature in whirlwind form cannot make its normal attacks and does not threaten the area around it.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the whirlwind might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (generally damage equal to the monster’s slam attack for a creature of its size) and may be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + half monster’s HD + the monster’s Strength modifier) when it comes into contact with the whirlwind or take damage as if it were hit by the whirlwind creature’s slam attack. It must also succeed on a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking the indicated damage each round. A creature that can fly is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful.

Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the whirlwind carries them or to escape the whirlwind. Trapped creatures can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the whirlwind take a –4 penalty to Dexterity and a –2 penalty on attack rolls. The whirlwind can have only as many creatures trapped inside at one time as will fit inside the whirlwind’s volume. The whirlwind can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes as a free action, depositing them in its space.

If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the creature and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment. Those caught in the cloud of debris must succeed on a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

air elementals:
This cloud-like creature has dark hollows reminiscent of eyes and a mouth, and a howling wind whips it into ominous shapes.
--------------------
VIII Elemental (Elder), Air CR 11
XP 12,800
Male elder air elemental (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 120)
N Huge outsider (air, elemental, extraplanar)
Init +15; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +19
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 28, touch 20, flat-footed 16 (+11 Dex, +1 dodge, +8 natural, -2 size)
hp 184 (16d10+96)
Fort +16, Ref +21, Will +7
Defensive Abilities air mastery; DR 10/—; Immune elemental traits
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed fly 100 ft. (perfect)
Melee 2 slams +25 (2d8+11)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks whirlwind (10-60 ft. high, 2d8+11 damage, DC 29)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 32, Dex 33, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
Base Atk +16; CMB +29; CMD 51
Feats Blind-fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Mobility, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse[B]
[b]Skills
Acrobatics +30, Escape Artist +30, Fly +34, Knowledge (planes) +19, Perception +19, Stealth +22
Languages Auran
--------------------
Ecology
--------------------
Environment plane of air
Organization solitary, pair, or gang (3-8)
Treasure none
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Air Mastery (Ex) Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls against this creature.
Blind-Fight Re-roll misses because of concealment, other benefits.
Cleave If you hit a foe, attack an adjacent target at the same attack bonus but take -2 AC.
Combat Reflexes (12 AoO/round) Can make extra attacks of opportunity/rd, and even when flat-footed.
Damage Reduction (10/-) You have Damage Reduction against all attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Elemental Traits Elementals have many immunities.
Fly (100 feet, Perfect) You can fly!
Flyby Attack You can take a standard action during your move action while flying.
Immunity to Bleed You are immune to bleed.
Immunity to Critical Hits You are immune to Critical Hits
Immunity to Flanking You are immune to flanking.
Immunity to Paralysis You are immune to paralysis.
Immunity to Poison You are immune to poison.
Immunity to Precision Damage You are immune to Precision Damage
Immunity to Sleep You are immune to sleep effects.
Immunity to Stunning You are immune to being stunned.
Mobility +4 to AC vs. AoO provoked by moving out of or through a threatened area.
Power Attack -5/+10 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Whirlwind (10-60 ft. high, 2d8+11 damage, DC 29) (Su) Become a whirlwind which damages foe in same square and may trap them within (Ref part).

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Yeah, I’m just gonna call this fight here, because with four air elementals harrying Saviya and no other creatures that are threats, she isn’t long for this world.

At the final blow, Saviya’s face begins to morph—the shape of her head bends as it grows more triangular. The massive irises indicative of elven physiology swiftly shrink to the size of mere dots, while her eyeballs simultaneously grow and her eye sockets move closer to her temples.

The mantis-like face of High Priest Saviya glares down at Eylysia and her still-humanoid mouth snaps acidic words in the gnomes direction:

”The…Red Mantis…always fulfill…a contract…”

At those words, Saviya’s flesh twists as out of the woman’s clothes and armor fly thousands of blood-red preying mantises that fly out of the Temple of the Ghost Mantis with mind-boggling speed—leaving behind all that the woman was wearing, as well as a black sawtooth sabre with a crimson hilt.

Hard Mode Adjustment:
Add one elite Red Mantis assassin and one soul eater with stats identical to Xagon and Xagish. For each PC, Saviya withdraws one greater slaying bolt from the vaults of the Crimson Citadel, keyed to that individual PC’s race or creature type. These bolts can be shot from a hand crossbow, but otherwise function identically to greater slaying arrows. She divides the bolts evenly among her assassin minions, so that each assassin carries one or two bolts. Replace Saviya’s energy drain spell with miracle and add 25,000 gp worth of diamond dust to her gear. The blood channels affect the PCs more severely while leaving their foes untouched. Double the bleed damage the PCs take while the hazard is active.

Eylysia sighs. The gnome takes off her glasses and begins cleaning them with her dress.

”Well, that was exciting. Won’t stop them, though,” She places her spectacles back on her face. ”If a contract was made, then they pursue it to the bitter end. Torch is still dealing with the contract set on him by the Spider eight years ago.

“But this old bat has lived a long life—far longer than is useful. If I am to die at the hands of the Red Mantis, then so be it. But I cannot die until I am featured in the Chronicles, dadgummit! And it seems this is the last chance this hag has to be in it. So,” Eylysia sits crosslegged on the ground and looks each Pathfinder in the eye with a smirk. ”What do you wanna know?”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel settles on the ground, avoiding all of the blood. She clicks her fingers and produces a spell book from the palm of her hand. Well, we are here looking for Torch and we understand you know where he is but this whole, the Decemvirate hides great evil thing might also be relevant. Why dont you tell us what the hell is going on. You don't mind if we employ some truth telling magic do you? I am sure you can understand that we might not entirely trust you...

As she talks she flips through her spell book and starts to mutter some spells. Don't know why I didnt do this before now. Torch cannot hide for ever.

Anariesl spends an arcane pool point to swop out greater possession and casts Discern Location to try and locate Torch.

If that doesnt work she scowls and flips through her book again.

She drops discen location to cast Demand.

As the spell completes she growls, Grandmaster torch, reply to this message immediately and tell us your exact current location.

If that doest work she stamps her foot on the ground in frustration and flips through her spellbook again but pauses as she reaches into a component pouch to produce a large quantity of diamond dust.

I could use a wish to find him but that seems like a bit excessive. And expensive...I suppose we might have to rely on what you tell us then. So, about that truth telling magic, you wouldnt object to a Mind Probe I assume? Just so we can be sure...


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Anariel:
Anariel’s discern location fails to work. Based on what I know about Torch, I’d be extremely surprised if he didn’t constantly have mind blank on him.

Torch Will: 1d20 ⇒ 3

”In my secret bunker in the sewers of Absalom, ten blocks to the east of the Grand Lodge.”

”I understand using truth-telling magic and will submit to it, but if you could please not go poking around my head; you’d probably end up with more cobwebs than information, anyways. As for the ‘hell that is going on,’ I’m afraid you’re going to have to be a lot more specific.”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Well, thats a positive, so people, what do we want to ask?

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar casts restoration on himself and starts to heal.

"What were the two of you trying to accomplish? What has been the rationale for the moves against the society."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Not quite the written-in question, but I’ll count it nonetheless.

“Torch has a long and complicated history, much of which I find distasteful. We do, however agree one key point: we cannot blindly place our trust in the Decemvirate. In recent years, Torch and I have confirmed that the member of the Decemvirate in the triple-spired mask in fact an agent of the Whispering Way. For centuries, he has held the helm while overseeing several fake transitions to maintain his hold on power. Now that the Whispering Tyrant is once again free, he has grown more active than ever. Something big is in the works.”

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

Thereus looks startled by the discovery of malfeasance within the Decemvirate. "You say he's an agent of the Whispering Way...that is an awful charge. How do you and Torch know this? Those who wear the masks go to great lengths to hide their identity."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

“The Decemvirate helms have always shielded their wearers’ thoughts and identities, in addition to granting other powers. I’ve only managed to uncover identities by studying less direct clues. I do not know how Torch came about knowing his name in the first place, but once he gave me a starting place I was able to determine that he was correct.”

That's actually all I'm told about the "how"s.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

"Wait. There's a name...?" He reflexively tightens the grip on his longbow.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

“Once, the creature behind the mask was a warrior of the Shining Crusade; a bold halfling named Vahlo Huovar. Vahlo was transformed into an undead creature long ago, however, and he now serves as an agent of the Whispering Tyrant.”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel will sit back, checking out her answers with mind probe just in case.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Any Chance he can bebrought back in the the good side."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
"Any Chance he can bebrought back in the the good side."

Eylysia merely shakes her head.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"I thought as much, but I would have hated to left an opportunity on the table."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Anariel Gallonica wrote:

Anariel will sit back, checking out her answers with mind probe just in case.

Eylysia Will vs DC 29: 1d20 + 10 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 8 = 29

Eylysia turns to Anariel angrily.

”Didn’t I just say not to do that, missy?! Truth-telling magic is fine, but I don’t want anyone probing my head! Young’uns these days...

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Mind probbe was the truth telling magic you silly gnome says Anariel, but fine!

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

”Oh boy, another one of those savior-turns-bad stories, huh.” Xanaphia then asks more directly, ”But what is this Vahlo Huovar’s aim in all this? For the Whispering Tyrant to be the undisputed controller of the Pathfinder Chronicles or something?”


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

“We do not now the specifics, only the outline. For centuries, Vahlo has used the Pathfinder Society to gather powerful occult artifacts within the Grand Lodge. He is waiting for the majority of the Society’s strength to be drawn north to confront the Whispering Tyrant. Once the Grand Lodge is empty, he intends to use a secret artifact to take control of the Grand Lodge and weaken Absalom from within, making it easy pickings for his master.”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"What are rest of the decemvirate doing about this?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

”They are unaware. Because of the inherent secrecy that the Decemvirate is built upon, Vahlo’s machinations have gone unnoticed. It’s only in knowing Vahlo’s identity as an undead servant of the Whispering Tyrant does his actions look suspicious.”

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

”Supposing we’re not okay with this whole take-control-of-the-Grand-Lodge plan, which I’m sure we aren’t, what do you advise we do at this point?”


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

“I recommend you return to Absalom. Whether you disagree with Grandmaster Torch, believe in his vision, or just want to ensure Vahlo doesn’t bring the Society toppling down with the city as its pyre, the Society would be stronger with you there.”


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

"Well? Is there anything else you youngsters want to ask me or are you just going to keep standing around awkwardly for the next week?"

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariels rolls her eyes at the gnome,, Well, I suppose we should probably get back to Absalom pretty fast although there is no way I am taking on Torch and some hideous undead monster on the magic I have left to me.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"It is still stupfying that you both unraveled a plot so well hidden the the Decemverit has yet to act. You are exceptional or we need better leaders. As for getting our magic back, I have the option for nap stack. I can get us to Absalom and have us fully rested in two hours. I may also be able to heal everyone if needed."


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

”And I can teleport the lot of you out of here. I believe the time for action is upon us.”

With that, the Pathfinders leave the temple and teleport back to Absalom.

Any effort to raise the alarm on Vahlo’s machinations is met with minimal success. All high-ranking Pathfinders worth their salt have been assigned to Ustalav for the siege on Gallowspire and cannot easily be contacted. Those who remain in the Grand Lodge refuse to listen, claiming the group to be anything from gaslighting meddlers to outright traitors. Anariel’s follow-up on the Grandmaster’s hideout turns out to be a dead end, as Torch has already abandoned the underground bunker by the time she gets there.

Primary Success Conditions:
The PCs succeed at the primary success condition as long as they learn the truth about Vahlo from Eylysia (or from her notes, if she is dead). Doing so earns each PC 1 Prestige Point.

Secondary Success Conditions:
The PCs succeed at their secondary objective as long as they succeed three of the following five tasks: end the scenario with an Awareness score of 2 or less you managed to avoid getting any at all, rescue all the prisoners from the Hall of Harmonic Memories, encounter Rurat and either negotiate with him or spare his life, kill the Ghost Mantis, and keep Eylysia alive. Doing so earns each PC 1 Prestige Point.

End of Part 1

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Ranger 14 (Freebooter and Skirmisher) - HP 122/130, AC 29/T: 16/FF: 25 - Perception +19 - F: +14/ R: +14/ W: +8* - CMB: +18 - CMD: 34, Speed: 30*, Init. +4

Hello, everyone! Oof. I forgot how much higher level you folks are! I'll be the guy hiding in the back and making snarky comments, I believe.

GM XK, I'm ready.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The atmosphere in Absalom is tense. Word spreads quickly: the Whispering Tyrant has appeared in the Cairnlands just outside of the city, with an army of the undead, leaving the city’s soldiers on high alert. Carts and draft animals busily move food and armaments about. Families crowd the docks seeking passage off the island, clogging the streets for shiploads of supplies arriving from Andoran, Osirion, Qadira, and Taldor. Rumors are swirling about the defeats in Lastwall, but so are the boasts of how readily Absalom beat back the combined forces of the demon Koth’Vaul, the night hag Aslynn, the traitors to the Society Muhlia al-Jakri and Thurl, and the notorious Grandmaster Torch in the last siege upon the city a mere two years ago. However, there is a significant difference between then and now: the city’s famous (some would say infamous) Pathfinders are nowhere to be seen, as they are still up in Ustalav putting a stop to the lich’s machinations in Gallowspire.

The doors to the Grand Lodge are sealed shut from the inside and the courtyard before it is eerily devoid of Pathfinders.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Ranger 14 (Freebooter and Skirmisher) - HP 122/130, AC 29/T: 16/FF: 25 - Perception +19 - F: +14/ R: +14/ W: +8* - CMB: +18 - CMD: 34, Speed: 30*, Init. +4

Leaning comfortably beside the front gate is an archer, lean and weathered by sun and wind, his clothes a faded, but still clean and well-patched Andoran naval uniform absent any insignia of rank. He seems to recognize you as Pathfinders.

“It’s been like this for hours,”, he says. "The gate's been locked from the inside and no one knows why. I'm Fletch and I know most of you by reputation, if not by sight. I'd wager we're the most accomplished Pathfinders currently in the city. I think it's fair to say that if this is going to get solved, it's going to be us that does the solving. We should go meet with Eliza Petulengro where it all began."

"And by that I mean the Wounded Wisp, not the Pig's Paunch, 'course."

Knowledge (local) 15:
There has been quite a bit of debate over the years over which of the two taverns—the Wounded Wisp or the Pig’s Paunch—was actually the founding location of the Pathfinder Society. It’s also a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that Kreighton Shaine says at the beginning of the Confirmation that the Pig’s Paunch was where it all started, but the Wounded Wisp (the scenario) clearly says that it started at its titular tavern. This even got John Compton confused.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The Wounded Wisp is as empty as any of you have ever seen it—only having five other Pathfinders in the entirety of the tavern, one of whom being the fiery-haired Eliza Petulengro. Character Profiles Updated The Galtan Venture-Captain looks to you all with shock, followed by relief.

”Thereus. Xanaphia. Good news at last,” Eliza Petulengro declares with a sigh. “Misfortune never seems to spare Absalom, as you may have noticed from the undead army waiting outside the walls. The city awaits reinforcements before sallying out to attack, and most of the Society is far north seeking out the Whispering Tyrant’s secret weapon beneath Gallowspire. Hopefully, all this will weaken the lich and shatter his armies.

“That leaves the Grand Lodge nearly empty. And for hours now, it’s been on lockdown with no word in or out. No word from Ambrus, no word from Kreighton Shaine, nothing from the Decemvirate. I’ve organized the few other Pathfinders outside the Grand Lodge to keep an eye on it in shifts, and it’s clear something’s not right. My divinations struggle to perceive the campus, and it’s very rare for the main gates to close as they have. The agents I have here? They’re capable, but Fletch here has the most Pathfinding experience—I need help breaking into the Grand Lodge, identifying what’s wrong, and neutralizing any possible threat.”

She is about to say more before pausing and awkwardly changing subjects. “So welcome home. Hopefully your recent travels were less foreboding?” The woman turns to Grognar and Anariel and smiles. ”I don’t believe we’ve met; Venture-Captain Eliza Petulengro of the Woodsedge Lodge in Galt. How do you do?” As far as I can tell, neither Grognar nor Anariel have been in a scenario with Eliza. She once more addresses the entire group. ”And if you have any information to contribute, I’m eager to learn more.”

What do you do?

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Hello, these are troubling times and we are just getting back to town. It is nice to meet you. Hopefully we will meet again in the future. No less foreboding unfortunately. We are happy to help any way we can. Do you know the name Vahlo Huovar. We believe he is the mastermind of this attack."

Updated character sheet. Improved wis on my headband.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
"Do you know the name Vahlo Huovar. We believe he is the mastermind of this attack."

Eliza blinks in confusion.

”That is...certainly a name for the Whispering Tyrant that I have never heard...”

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel shakes her head, No, thats not a name for him but for a member of the Decemvirate who has secretly been pulling the strings from behind the scenes for years. She pauses, cocks her head to one side and grins, But I wouldnt mind having a crack at the Tyrant too.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar reads aloud from his studiously kept notes,
“...the outline. For centuries, Vahlo has used the Pathfinder Society to gather powerful occult artifacts within the Grand Lodge. He is waiting for the majority of the Society’s strength to be drawn north to confront the Whispering Tyrant. Once the Grand Lodge is empty, he intends to use a secret artifact to take control of the Grand Lodge and weaken Absalom from within, making it easy pickings for his master.”

"Vahlo was transformed into an undead creature long ago, however, and he now serves as an agent of the Whispering Tyrant.”


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Eliza pauses in thought for a moment. “The helms can hide anyone’s identity and auras, even the fact that someone’s wearing the helm at all. What’s more, it’s never publicized who replaces a retiring member of the Decemvirate. That an undead mastermind could hide within the Society for so long shouldn’t come as a surprise, but it’s a shock nonetheless that one did. And it would explain some of the foul orders thought to come from the Ten.”

251 to 300 of 602 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—Subtier 17-18 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.