GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—High Tier

Game Master KingTreyIII

Maps
Character Profiles


51 to 100 of 609 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariels goblin head droops as the woman condescends at her and then snaps back up as she finishes, opening her mouth in a wide grin and showing rows of huge teeth. Thanks missus! she barks before scurrying over to Strake. Hopping on to his table she sends various bits and pieces of cutlery flying as she thrusts out a hand to him.

Reporting fer duty Captain Strake sir! she shouts, almost quivering to attention. What's up ser, place seems downright gloomy, we was told it was a party.

Diplomacy if needed: 1d20 + 43 ⇒ (12) + 43 = 55

I got's a message for you ser, but its private like, for your ears only she whispers, leaning in.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Thank you. It seems we got here a day too late to see the full festivities. I'm going to see if we can do anything to help our host. I hope you enjoy and equally fine vintage tonight."

Grognar walk over with Anarial.

And whispers into Strokes ear, "If we talk in private I have some very magical boots I would like to show you."

Automatic aid diplomacy for +4.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The young man sighs as Anariel approaches and begins speaking to him.

”For the last time, I don’t know this Strake—magical boots you say?”

The young man beckons over to a more private spot and begins admiring Grognar’s magical footwear.

”I’m sorry to disappoint you, but my name’s Kirhed and I’m just a humble Absalomic cobbler; I’m no captain. Goodness, these are marvelous! Wherever did you get them?”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"A talented wizard cobbler in Absalom. So powerful the aided in freeing and elemental lord and step on the heads of dragons without as much as a stuff. What brings you to this part of the world? You are a long way from home."

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Xanaphia listens as her fellow Pathfinders interact with the revelers and the apparently-mad Strake, both trying to aid her ally's attempt to sweet-talk and also trying to gauge the situation.
auto-aid diplomacy for +2
sense motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

”I have no idea how I got here. I was—“

Kirhed clutches his head in pain!

”I-it hurts to think about…”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Sense motive: 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (12) + 28 = 40 Looking for magical mind control


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Eh...It's more psychological than anything; he doesn't want to think about it, but there's no magical influence involved in him not wanting to think about it.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Meh, you guys have stupidly-high Diplomacy modifiers; I’m just going to give it to you.

”I-I remember a hand. A clawed and rubbery arm, covered in hideous blinking eyes, reaching from a robe to grab me—then everything went black.”

Knowledge (arcana) or Heal 25:
This man’s state does not come from a natural mental health condition, but rather from a magical effect that has transferred new memories into his body. The new memories could be expelled with a break enchantment spell or similar effect, but this would not restore the body’s original memories, but rather leave him as a blank vessel—alive but with no living memories. To restore the body’s original memories, one must cast break enchantment on who/whatever currently holds the original memories.

IF YOU SUCCEEDED AT THE ABOVE CHECK: Knowledge (dungeoneering) 25:
Kirhed (and by extent Strake) seems to have been the victim to a hyakume, a corpulent creature covered in thousands of eyes that is capable of transferring memories with a single touch.

If you exceed the DC by 5+, open the spoiler below

Spoiler:
Hyakumes more accurately drains a victim of their memories and stores them in (for lack of a better comparison) a type of cloud storage, leaving the body as a husk that acts friendly toward the hyakume (as per charm monster). From there it can touch a creature to transfer the memories from the cloud into the new body.

If you exceed the DC by 10+, open the spoiler below

Spoiler:
Hyakume are mystics of malevolence and are very ascetic. They gain a number of benefits as if they were monks, such as the Quivering Palm class feature and the special interaction monks get with the Stunning Fist feat.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Take your time answering we are trying to help. Where was this? We don't want anyone else to go through the same thing right?"

Grognar will assume their goblin friend knows everything about the process that did this and will wait until they are either away from Kirhed to ask about it.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

For his part, Thereus is shrinking into the background of the event, trying to appear as the group's bodyguard.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel cannot fail either of those knowledge checks

Dungeoneering, heroism, clear ear: 1d20 + 37 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 37 + 2 + 2 = 44

Anariel jabs Grognar in the ribs and hisses quietly, this isnt Strake, he has lost his mind or rather his memories. Probably something called a Hyakume. They are weird monk monsters that can rob you of your memories, leaving you as nothing more than a charmed husk. This sounds really bad. We need to find out where the actual Strake is. This guy cannot tell us anything and the shoe obsession is annoying.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Alright, how do you all plan to go about figuring out where the real Strake is?

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar is going to around and make smalltalk, introducing himself and eventually when it seems natural ask if people saw where Strake went after the party lastnight and the beginning of the one tonight.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
Grognar is going to around and make smalltalk, introducing himself and eventually when it seems natural ask if people saw where Strake went after the party lastnight and the beginning of the one tonight.

I do need to know who specifically that you’re talking to; only the NPCs that I’ve pointed out know something of significance.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

I am happy for someone to point Anariel at an NPC as I have run this.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grilled eye-patch. Seem like a good place to start.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

I’m assuming that Grognar meant that he’d go talk to the eyepatch guy.

The grizzled man with the eyepatch just gives Grognar a sideways glance and hmphs. If Grognar was sending Anariel to talk to him his reaction is basically the same until someone makes some kind of check.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"You look like a man that gets things done and sees things that need to be seen so I wont waste time. The host is acting strange I have business that requires him to be of sound mind so I need to know what happened last night."

Diplomacy : 1d20 + 30 ⇒ (19) + 30 = 49

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel, in goblin form, stands behind Grognar looking as adorable as it is possible for a big headed, large mouthed goblin to be.

Auto aid Grognars diplomacy

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Xanaphia uses her touch of glory domain power on herself, then approaches the green-haired half elf and human man in extravagant clothing. ”Whatcha drinking? I wouldn’t mind a glass myself. Speaking of, it looks like our fine host has been imbibing heartily. Was he celebrating last night as well, perhaps?”
diplomacy: 1d20 + 23 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 23 + 18 = 47


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Xanaphia, I’m going to ignore your efforts due to the fact that you just approached the people that have already been questioned.

The man with the eyepatch looks at Grognar with steadfast intensity before the stubbornness fades, leaving behind worry.

”I…don’t know what happened exactly. I’m the head servant here and Strake’s first mate during his sailing days—I’m concerned about him; I’ll tell you whatever you want to know. It all started last night:

“For the most part, it seemed like a normal night. Strake has been hosting this party for years, you know, and new people come and go each night. I do remember that a large palanquin, carried by a dozen servants and nearly fifteen feet wide, stopped in front of the gates for a while. Two servants wearing red robes came into the party for bit, but they didn’t mingle much. Sometime after midnight, Strake disappeared. When he came back, he seemed to have lost his mind.”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Do you know anything about any of those guest, the red robes, or who uses that means of travel?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

”They’re priests from the Pagoda of the Red Mantis, the main temple to Achaekek here in town. Absolute fanatics. They call themselves the Claws of Achaekek and they always travel in pairs of two. Each wields a single sawtooth sabre, and they think of themselves as the arms of the Mantis God. I hear they cannot speak or hear, and that they use a secret sign language to communicate. They were here for maybe half an hour, handed Strake a missive, then left. Strake was so pale as he was reading it…he went with the Claws as they left.

“The palanquin, it is said to belong to the Master of the Pagoda of the Red Mantis, who arrived years ago from a distant land to worship the Mantis God. Some say the Master is not human at all, but rather a terrible creature covered with hundreds of watchful eyes. Strake’s condition is not unique. Others have entered the Pagoda of the Red Mantis in the past and emerged with different memories. I have heard that somewhere beneath the pagoda is a great hall with many prisoners, each filled with stolen memories that the church has deemed too dangerous to be outside the temple walls.”

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar will request direction to temple that the has the Master of the red Mantis Pagoda then he will follow up.

"I'm going to be subtle about this and you should be to. Does our Strake has any allegiances or even good working relatinships that would make him a target or does he have any enemies in town?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The grizzled man looks over his shoulder and beckons Grognar to a spot in the villa without prying eyes.

“Yes, he does hear an odd bit of information about Pathfinders from time to time, although few people in Ilizmagorti know it. He takes notes on any Pathfinder news he can gather and is particularly interested in the Decemvirate. Pathfinder agents are always scheming for influence and wealth, and their secretive Decemvirate are the worst of the lot.”"

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel mutters to the group, OK gang, what next?

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Thank you. Hopeful we can see to the ailments of your employers mind."

Back with the group, "Do we want to talk to anyone else?"


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Do you guys want to keep mingling at the party or headbto the Pagoda of the Mantis?

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

I am leaving that decision entirely to the rest of the party.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

It seems like we have what we need. Grognar is not one to hang out at a party longer than he has to.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

All I needed to know. Off to the pagoda, then!

*

The Pagoda of the Mantis, while on the other side of town from Strake’s villa, is a difficult sight to miss. Two enormous statues of Red Mantis assassins stand on either side of an open gate, leading into a courtyard. Inside the courtyard stands an enormous stone pagoda. A crimson and white banner depicting crossed mantis arms hangs from the front of the temple.

What do you do?

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Before they enter the Pagoda Anariel renders herself invisible again with her ring and activates wands of blend and heightened awareness just in case.

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

Just before approaching the pagoda Xanaphia uses her wand of heightened awareness and casts an extended freedom of movement. She looks at her (visible) fellow Pathfinders and says, ”Well, shall we?” As she remembers something else, she points to a particular scroll on her bandolier and says to everyone, ”Oh, and before I forget, just in case—this is a scroll of stone to flesh, but let’s hope we don’t need it.”
FoM duration: 18 + 1d4 - 1 ⇒ 18 + (1) - 1 = 18 x20 mins

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"I think we should assume an immediate fight we have been told there is a monster in there."

If the team agrees I will be putting up some buffs.

GM are we close enough for constant detect evil to start pinging anything?

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

"Seems reasonable, Grognar." Thereus checks the draw of his bow.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

You’re close enough that detect evil is pinging pretty much everything; the courtyard is full of people that you assume to be Achaekek worshipers. And I’m gonna streamline things slightly.

The moment any of the Pathfinders set foot beyond the threshold of the gate to the courtyard, a slight pain upon their forehead as a glowing, blood-red sigil the size of a clenched fist appears upon their forehead, depicting a pair of crossed mantis claws—the unholy symbol of Achaekek. The Pathfinders manage to hide behind a hedge of bushes just inside the courtyard’s wall before anyone can see and begin to assess the situation. I’m going to say that people didn't notice that the sigil was on them until everyone had stepped foot into the courtyard and thus was branded with the sigil.

Detect Magic and Knowledge (arcana) 35:
The sigil is able to be dispelled, but does nothing except glow red; it is harmless.

You have about a minute to cast spells, etc. before some random acolyte gets curious and checks the bushes you guys are in. What do you do?

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Anariel cannot fail that check

It seems harmless but it is glowing. I can dispel it if we want to? A single area effect greater dispel should get all of us

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

"Good idea. Once that is done cast the spells you need to fight and we make a break for the pagoda. We have have different faces tomorrow so if these disguises are lost not big deal."

Grognar says this while casting heroism (item), shield of faith (spell-like ability), deathward, stoneskin revelation)(more to come when I'm get home) 4 rounds used.

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

The moments before they go Grognar will cast air walk Extended Divine power, bestow grace of the champion, fightful aspect.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8
Grognar the Oracle wrote:
The moments before they go Grognar will cast air walk Extended Divine power, bestow grace of the champion, fightful aspect.

As I understand it we are currently in the courtyard of the temple. We need to get into the temple but dont know where inside we need to be. If you turn into a huge engine of destruction that might make any form of stealth tricky. Round per level spells might also run out.

Anariel examines the strange glowing symbols and quickly casts a greater dispel, enhancing it with her arcane power.

Using area effect greater dispel specifically targetting the mark so as not to accidentally dispel other buffs. I will spend an arcane pool to enhance my caster level.

CL, ioun stone, arcane power: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 18 + 1 + 2 = 22

Well, that looks rubbish.

Anariel sticks out her tongue, Well, that didnt work, lets try again!

CL, ioun stone, arcane power: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 18 + 1 + 2 = 22

Hmm, this place must inhibit magic, lets give it one more go but if this doesnt work we are just going to have to sneak inside!

CL, ioun stone, arcane power: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 18 + 1 + 2 = 36

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar will hold back on the round perlevel buff and the turning into a giant. Can we get a decision of the pagoda? Number of floors distance from the bushes.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Yeah, I figured this table wouldn’t have a problem with the sigils because the caster level doesn’t scale between subtiers! But I digress. Also, to answer Grognar’s question: things are mostly hand-waved, as you’ll see; round/level buffs are a no-go at this stage.

The Pathfinders make their way toward the Pagoda of the Mantis proper, none of the Achaekek worshipers pay them a second thought—as far as they know, they’re supposed to be here.

*

Into the Pagoda of the Mantis

*

After a relatively brief search of the ground floor of the pagoda, the Pathfinders find a set of four unguarded staircases arranged in the corners of a large square that descend down underground for a long ways—long enough that the bottom of the stairs cannot be seen from the top. Nearby carvings depict pilgrims of Achaekek descending the staircases and bowing before a giant purple creature covered in a thousand horrific eyes all over its body. There seems to be no acolytes anywhere nearby.

What is quickly determined, however, is that each staircase is absolutely silent—the silence begins at the first step of the stairs; where or if it ends cannot be determined without descending the stairs.

A need to know a few things: What do each of you do before descending the stairs (buffs, etc.), which staircase do you descend down (northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest; nothing of note distinguishes between the four staircases, so they’re identical), and what each of you are doing as you descend the staircase.

The Exchange

N Female Arcanist 18 | HP: 284/236 | AC: 29 (13 Tch, 24 FF) | CMD 29 | F:+25, R:+21, W:+22 +3 vs mind affecting, Immune to fire, resist elec 30 | Init: +13-17 Per: +36, SM: +31 | Speed Fly 60 |
Spells:
6|5|3|4|2|4|3|4|3; Reroll Unused; Pool 6|21; Adept 3|5
| Conditions: FoM, Blindsight 40', Blindsense 60', See invis, Images 8

Before they descend the stairs Anariel adds an extended shield and extended mirror image spell. The rest of her buffs are on her profile, there are an awful lot of them.

She will be invisible, in the form of a goblin and actively stealthing while using blend. Blend means she doesnt need cover or concealment while stealthing, assuming something can see through her invisibility/mind blank combination. She can be picked up by scent, blindsense, blindsight or similar abilities but I dont believe true seeing or see invisibility penetrate mind blank if relevant.

Mirror Images: 1d4 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Stealth, heroism, blend, invis: 1d20 + 36 + 2 + 4 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 36 + 2 + 4 + 20 = 64

I leave the choice of staircase entirely to the rest of the group. If combat breaks out she always uses her heightened awareness to add to her init which is reflected in her stat line.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

I’ve done extensive research into mind blank; it is quite literally immunity to divination magic (so see invisibility and true seeing actually can’t get over it).

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Ya, it require a non-divination bypass like blindsight.

First Grognar continues his scan looking for anything new. Detect magic and evil into the staircase to see if anything new or much more powerful pops up.

Perception for Traps etc.: 1d20 + 34 ⇒ (9) + 34 = 43

Grognar search the staircase for anything that will harm then or give them away.

Spellcraft should anything magic come up: 1d20 + 30 ⇒ (3) + 30 = 33

Grognar cast the spells mentioned before after they pick a staircase and is ready to rush in.

UMD longstrider: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

"Northwest staircase?"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Brawler 1/Fighter (weapon master) 10/Paladin (divine hunter) 7 (5 neg lvls) | HP 184/184| AC: 32 T: 18 FF: 24 | CMB +18, CMD: 38 (41 Disarm/Sunder) | F: 24, R: 20, W: 13| Init: +3 | Perc: -6, SM:-2 | Spd: 30 | Lay on hands: 5/8| Channel: 4/4 | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Smite: 0/3 | Reliable Strike 1/2 | Goz Mask 4/6 | Active: Freedom of movement, evasion, see invisibility, fly, GWS

UMD wand of shield: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
UMD wand of shield: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
UMD wand of shield: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Thereus creeps behind the others, longbow poised for action, but trying to maintain a bit of distance in case something terrifying jumps out.

seconded for NW stairs

Dark Archive

Female NG Elf Cleric (Herald Caller) 18 | HP 129/129 | AC: 13 T: 13 FF: 10 | CMB +11, CMD: 24 | F: 19, R: 15, W: 25 | Ini: 12 (16 HA) | Prcp: 33, SM: 12 | Spd: 40 | hrsm aura: 6/18| chnnl: 1/5 | RODS xtnd 2/3 prstnt 0/3 prcng 0/3 quckn 3/3 rch 0/3 slnt 0/3 | robe of gates 1/3 | touch of glory 0/11 | hrsm, tru seeing, FoM, SR, GrAngAspct

” Well, they all seem the same...Northwest sounds as good as any other.” Just before descending Xanaphia puts her new favorite quicken rod back in her scabbard of many blades and replaces it with her silent rod, then retrieves a scroll of invisibility and activates it on herself. Xanaphia stays a cowardly safe distance behind the rest of the Pathfinders.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The Pathfinders descend the silent stairs and Grognar finds that there is an alarm in the stairwell. If they try to use one of the other stairwells, they similarly find an alarm in each of them. And alarm technically isn’t a trap, so even a rogue able to disable magical traps can’t disable it. And since it seems that no one here is capable of casting a silent dispel magic, this is how I’m going to consolidate this (since I’m 99% sure that you guys don’t want to just go through the alarm):

With a shrug, Xanaphia who I know offhand can do silent magic with that rod silently tries to dispel the alarm.

Dispel: 1d20 + 18 + 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 18 + (4) - 1 = 41 Well...a CL isn’t listed but if anything could do it it’d be that.

Going to say that the whole process of finding the alarm, trying out the other staircases, and inevitably dispelling takes about 5 minutes (the stairwells are 300’ long and the alarm is 100’ down each of them), so any short-term buffs (like Xanaphia’s invisibility or Grognar’s divine power) wouldn’t be active.

*

Down the silent staircase

*

Four stairwells lead into the corners of this large chamber. A reflecting pool, several feet deep and filled with tranquil water, fills almost the whole room. An assortment of stone platforms rises above the water. On the central platform stands an enormous golden statue of a praying mantis, embedded with gems. The walls of the room are lined with scores of alcoves, some of which contain slumped humanoid figures—six humans, two half-orcs, and a single monkey goblin. Six massive silver, bronze, and steel bells gently float above the waters of the room. They ring of their own accord, creating a powerfully calming sound that echoes through the whole hall. Six floating eyeballs drift about within the room.

Anyone trained in Perform (percussion) gets a +5 bonus to the check below.

Knowledge (arcana) 25, Spellcraft 25, or Perform (any) 20:
These ringing bells have additional magical properties that can be unleashed by ringing them in the right ways. See the Features of the Room spoiler for more information.

Before the statue are seven meditating individuals: six humans bearing red robes kneel down upon the surface of the water. The seventh is a large, corpulent creature with purple rubbery skin that kneels in the water right in front of the statue; this creature wears a robe upon which a large number of sawtooth sabres sized for creatures smaller than it dangle it actually doesn’t specify what size the sabres are, but I’m guessing they’re sized for Medium creatures since it does say that there are 30 of them. The corpulent being’s skin is covered with hundreds—if not thousands—of folds that each contain a blinking eyeball. Map and Character Profiles Updated

With the eyes upon its arm, the hyakume looks at the Pathfinders’ descent down the stairs and swiftly splashes the reflecting pool’s water upon the humans before him, interrupting their meditation that they also notice the newcomers!

Initiative:
Anariel: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30
Grognar: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 181d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 271d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Thereus: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Xanaphia: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

Master of the Pagoda: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
Claws of Achaekek: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Features of the Room:
Most of this is copy-paste from the scenario.

Silence The silence ends right at the last step of the stairwell.

Dimensions The ceiling of this room rises 20 feet above the ground level. The golden statue of a praying mantis in its center is 15 feet tall. Each of the bells glows with a soothing, warmly colored radiance, lighting up the room. The bells are 10 feet tall and 5 feet across at their base. The bells hover in the air, each floating 5 feet above a small platform as marked on the map. The bells to the east are silver, the bells to the west are bronze, and the bells to the north and south are steel.

Water The water in this room is only 2 feet deep, meaning that Medium or Small creatures can wade through it, although they treat it as difficult terrain. Large and larger creatures can walk through the water as if it were normal terrain. The platforms around the room provide places to stand. The platforms below the bells also provide places to stand for Medium or smaller creatures—taller creatures cannot fit beneath the bells without squeezing.

Ringing the Bells A creature can activate the effects of the bells using one of two methods. They can ring a bell by succeeding a ranged or melee attack roll against it. The bell’s AC is equal to an Average skill check DC for this group that number is 31. This attack can be made as a part of a full attack. Alternatively, creatures can ring a bell as part of a move action by jumping on top of it, which requires a successful Average DC 31 Acrobatics check and costs 20 feet of movement. On a failure, the creature moves the bell, but not enough to ring it. A creature who is trained in Perform gains a +5 bonus on attack rolls or Acrobatics checks to ring bells. A creature who is trained in Perform (percussion instruments) gains a +10 bonus instead. Each creature can ring only one bell per round, and the same bell cannot be rung more than once per round. When a bell is rung, the ringer must also target a creature within 60’ of the rung bell to experience the bell’s effects.

Eyes The purple circles are the floating eyes.

HARD MODE: The Claws of the Master
Round 1
======================
Anariel
Grognar

Master of the Pagoda {prone}
Thereus
White {prone}
Black {prone}
Yellow {prone}
Green {prone}
Blue {prone}
Pink {prone}
Xanaphia
???
======================

Grand Lodge

Session Resources:
Eaglesoul, GM weapon, Enco Un Zeal, DivineP Hero, Hunt bless x3 , Shield of F, deathward, StoneS, H feast, Life Bu,
| AC40 T16 F34 |HP 276/276|276/276|CMD:48| F:+32 R:+22 W:+30| Init:+10 (ROLL3x) | Perception: +37 | Session info

Grognar will click his heels activating his boots of speed (free) he casts a quickened divine power (swift), he then casts euphoric tranquility (standard), moves using airwalk, haste and longstrider to get up to the Master of the Pagoda and takes his free touch attack against hopefully prone flat-footed touch AC.

Grognar knows what the bells do so he starts relaying the keypoints.

Touch: 1d20 + 22 + 7 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 22 + 7 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 43

Divine power, Frightful Aspect, Heroism, Haste and additional +2 vs Humans, aberrations and evil outsider.

"Keep relaxing a while."

Euphoric Tranquility

Everyone within 30ft of Grognar is shaken and we don't want to hit the big man right now .

Grognar has one of two possible immediate actions after Anariel

51 to 100 of 609 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Xavier Kahlvet's Passing the Torch—Subtier 17-18 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.