GM Doug — The Sandstone Secret [Gameday VIII PFS2] (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

This is a PF2E game for Gameday VIII.

Maps & Resources.


51 to 100 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

While Iniquity is refocusing, Varret tries to close up Mordack's wounds a little more thoroughly. "I'm glad you're all right, but I'd feel better if those wounds were stitched up a little more. Hold still, please."

Medicine to Treat Wounds, DC 15: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Healing: 2d8 ⇒ (7, 7) = 14 Wounded condition removed.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Let's finish exploring this room before we go back to the main area."

Assuming North is up on the map, I would like to go South from where we first explored.

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Ah, much better, but which way now?

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"I agree with Zarindlara, let's finish exploring one direction before dashing off in another one."

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

Varret seconds Zarindlara's motion to continue south.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 +9 for traps
Iniquity's Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Mordrak's Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Varret's Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Zarindlara's Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

These maze-like hallways twist and turn at right angles. Hieroglyphs cover the walls, and you see more of the same scarab iconography; whenever the braziers flicker they twist the light and shadow, making the beetles seem to crawl among the ideograms.

You explore a couple of turns and dead-ends before finding yourself at another set of double doors. Those of you trained in survival suspect that you have traveled in a loop. The hallway continues to your left. Slide updated — please let me know which way you want to go!

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 +9 for traps
Iniquity's Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Mordrak's Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Varret's Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Zarindlara's Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Zarindlara suggests going left (west).

Is there a check to know more about the scarab iconography? Society, maybe?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

You made secret checks above. I should have given Zarindlara a spoiler that she isn't sure about what the scarabs mean, alerting you that you did indeed make the check but got nothing substantial. I think that is a policy I'll adopt going forward!

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"Yes. Let's finish this side of the ruins," Iniquity agrees. "Just keep an eye on the back in case something wanders in from the other side."

Iniquity made (or critically failed) the check. I wove the information in to his past comments. Thus far it was only flavor.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Scarab beetles are commonplace in tombs and other places associated with death.

Taking the discussion to the discussion tab to keep gameplay clean.

You proceed to the left, finding a collapsed and impassable staircase down. It's another dead-end! Map updated.

Looks like you have completed your exploration of this portion of the ruin. You can go through the double-doors you just passed, or make your way back to the first room the long way and go another direction from there.

Horizon Hunters

Male Dwarf Rogue 1

"Excavating this is a pretty big task... best we leave it for another day. I say we head back and check those doors before tracking all of the way back."

When they get there, Bogard will do another safety check and also tries to feel the doors and listen close, just to see if anything can be learned before trying to open them.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 +1 to detect traps, +2 stonecunning
2d20 ⇒ (12, 14) = 26

Bogard doesn't notice any traps by the door you passed; it seems safe. He opens the doors, and you see the hallway you had a glimpse of earlier. There are double doors up ahead to the left, and at the far end of the long hallway, another set of double doors as well as a passage that branches to the left and right. Map updated — the visual is probably better than the textual description.

I moved you on the map to where Bogard is checking for traps and opening the doors. Remember: I want a second on moving to new rooms, but it seems pretty obvious these doors lead to an area you've already been, and I want to keep the game moving.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Well, time to check out those big double doors?"

Arrow where I want to go for clarity

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

I agree about the double doors, also we goblins are smart. The mathematical odds of a second trap in this dungeon are rare. Or rather, we look for traps this time, split it even 50/50, cause this exploration it taking forever. I know a way we move through this faster. Should we split the party again? No I'm actually not going to do that, just Rping a goblin


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Hah :)

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 +1 to detect traps, +2 stonecunning
Iniquity Pen, Investigate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Varret Aalloissa, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Zarindlara, Stealth (using Pecr +6 currently): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 6

Neither Bogard nor the rest of you notice any traps on the doors. So you push them open.

There's an ancient temple on the other side. Statues of of jackal-headed humanoids stand at attention at ten-foot intervals along the walls, like otherworldly guards. Their yellow eyes seem to watch you, almost glowing in the flickering firelight.

A ten-foot tall statue looms above the altar at the far side of the temple: a lean Osirian man with the head of a strange animal. His dog-like face is lit from below by an offering bowl full of glowing red coals. As the air shifts from the newly-opened door, the shadows and light dance across the being's face, making his expression shift. Now, it seems like he's grinning down at you. Art on slide 2!

Spoiler:

Bogard's Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Iniquity's Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Varret's Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Zarindlara's Religion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Iniquity:
This is Set. An Osiriani god of darkness, deserts, and murder. Set is one of the most reviled deities in the region.

Bogard, Varret, and Zarindlara:
You're not sure who this is a statue of. It seems to be of religious significance, however.

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Hey, who you staring at! as Mordack yells at the statue.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Spoiler:

1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d20 ⇒ 12

Mordack’s shout echoes among the halls.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"I'm not familiar with this particular creature. Seems like something of religious significance?"

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Iniquity frowns and answers Zarindlara. "It is Set. He is the god of darkness and murder among the Osiriani pantheon. Only the truly despicable worship him. We should be wary of curses or guardians raised from the dead as we continue to explore this tomb."

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

You mean man's best friend is evil? What sick cruel joke is this.

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"Yes, that doesn't bode well. Let's leave his foul gaze and continue down the hallway."

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Indeed." Zarindlara shudders.

LEt's go down the hall and check out those other double doors.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Iniquity Pen, Investigate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Varret Aalloissa, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Zarindlara, Stealth (using Pecr +6 currently): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

None of you find any traps, so you open the doors.

Inside this room three shallow pits, each fice feet deep. There is a powdery residue lining each of the basins. Slide 1 updated.

To learn more about this residue, you can make me a crafting or religion check.

There's no consequence for faulure, so you can make the roll if you wish.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Crafting: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

”What is this, now?”


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

The powders here are the residue of evaporated embalming fluids.

You can add the residue in the pools to water to make some Lesser Acid Flasks, if you're good at crafting. I will need another crafting check. There are probably vials and such in the general excavation equipment you brought along, and I assume you all have water :)

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"Hmm," he grunts in thought. "Shall we quickly examine the attached office or storage before making our way back into the hall?"


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Heading our for the evening, so no updates till tomorrow. Please make a crafting check if you would like to create these acid flasks, and let me know if anyone wants to second Iniquity’s suggestion as to direction.

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"That's a good idea. We don't want to leave an unexplored door behind us."

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack will try crafting or aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Can I get an aid, or if someone has a better roll, maybe I'll be aiding you.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Zarindlara gives it a shot, having identified the powder in the first place.

Crafting: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

It's probably not worth aiding at this level; you need a 20 to aid and critical failure hurts the roll of the person you were trying to aid.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

You're not able to craft the acid flasks. Others can try as we move on, but it's been almost 24 hours since I posted about the crafting opportunity, so we'll move to the next room.

The walls of this room are covered with a different kind of motif: a person in sooty black robes wields a dog-headed scepter of rulership, leading an army of skeletons into a city.

Below this person are other figures leading their own, lesser, armies of undead. However, their faces have been chiseled out, with text carved across their bodies. None of you know the language.

The city being invaded looks oddly familiar… if you would like to identify it, make a Society check.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Society: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Ha ha nope

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"This appears to be the leader--maybe the person buried here--and his servants," Iniquity muses as he inspects the mural.

Society: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

I just updated the map — again. (I did earlier today, but it looks like I left the page before the edits were saved.)

Anyway, if no one else wants to make a society check it looks like there is one room left on this side of the complex, and a door at the far end of the last hallway. Let me know where you'd like to go!

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"Hm. How dramatic." Varret pauses for a moment to examine the carvings, but having no knowledge of such things he quickly turns to more practical matters. "Let's continue with the nearer door here."

No Society training. I propose the nearer door.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Nearer door sounds good!


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

There is a sleeping bag and a dirty mess kit in this room, along with oil and some torches.

There is also a satchel near the bedroll.

It looks like a rough campsite.

Map updated again.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Aha! Our first sign of our Pathfinder!"

Zarindlara would like to search the room.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Zarindlara finds an ominous-looking dagger with a small onyx gem in its hilt, and a mirror decorated with a serpent motif. There are some carvings and various other objects taken from the tomb, as well.


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Which way next? It looks like there is a room at the far end of the hallway outside, and the another area to the South of that.

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"Let us continue on and see what lies down this hall," Iniquity says. "Hopefully, Subeli has not fallen victim to the traps in this tomb."

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"Or whatever his real name might be. If he lied about one thing, he may have lied about another. Either way, I think you have the right idea, let's continue down this hall."


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

Catching up after site outage this morning.

Spoiler:

Bogard's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 +1 to detect traps, +2 stonecunning
Iniquity's Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Mordrak's Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Varret's Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Zarindlara's Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

You check the door at the end of the hallway for traps, and find none.

Inside this room, you find three medium-sized sarcophagi and one larger one. There is a man in here. He's taking rubbings of the face of one of the coffins. He stands and looks at you, scowling.

What!? Who are you? What is this? I told Officer Elrekah that this Pathifnder expedition isn't to be disturbed — especially not by gloryhounds here to steal the credit! He shoves a notebook into a sabretache at his waist, and clamps it shut.

Art on slide 1. Slide 2 has the overview of the entire dungeon complex with your icons within it. Slide 3 shows this particular room, zoomed in. Hope that makes sense! If you move tactically, please use slide 3.

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

diplomacy: 7 + 1d20 ⇒ 7 + (17) = 24 We are here to help you. You must be tired, whatever work you have left to do, we can help. We want nothing in return other than to get you home safely and to help.

Verdant Wheel

Male Half-elf Ranger 1 | hp: 19/19, hero points: 1 | AC 18, F+6 R+9 W+5 | Speed 30ft | Perception +7, Stealth +7, Survival +5 | Current conditions: | Battle Medicine used: Mordack

"As my friend here said, we are here to help with the work of exploring this dungeon. I'm a little confused, though. We were led to believe that we would be the only Pathfinders here, during our briefing, or at least that's how I understood it. Would you mind telling us who sent you? I want to make sure to include it in my report, to prevent such lapses of communication in the future."

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Yes, we seem to have been double-booked. But we may as well help since we're here now. What have you done so far?"

Zarindlara would like to Sense Motive on his answers to figure out if he's lying, which is a secret Perception check (CRB 471).


Sandstone Secret | Escaping the Grave | Mosquito Witch| Spell Templates

The diplomatic Mordack seems to mollify the strange man. Ahh. Perhaps you are here to help after all. I can see that now. I am Nefaram Subeli, famous Pathfinder scholar. Perhaps you have heard of me? Venture-Captain Norden Balentiir has signed my permit.

I can put you to work, carrying some heavy carvings I found in the room down the hall from here. I sent away those flunk — I mean friends — Pathfinder friends — too soon, you see. Ha ha. Please, take a look at my notes and you will see sketches of the carvings that I'd like carry out and wrapped in cloth. They are in the room down the hall from here, just about as far as possible from the exit, of course! Ha, ha.

He opens his sabretache again, and hands Mordack a notebook after opening it to a specific page.

Here are sketches of the carvings you must carry out and load up. He reaches into the pouch again and hands Varret a permit. Here is my permit, signed by Balentiir. Who sent you, by the way?

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d20 ⇒ 3

Zarindlara:
He really believed that you're "gloryhounds here to steal the credit." However, "this" doesn't quite seem to be a "pathfinder expedition" he's on.

If you want to examine the permit, you can make a perception check.

Examining the notes:
These "notes" are of terrible quality, and don't even contain words. It's as if they were created by someone who cannot read or write, and the drawings are childishly crude. Even the map seems wrong. None of this information could possibly have any scholarly value.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Perception check on permit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Zarindlara's eyebrows arch upward at the sight of the notes. She answers his question, "Why Norden Balentiir, of course. Incidentally, which lodge have you been training in? Your note-taking style is...unorthodox."

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"Happy to help the author of that article on the ruins of Western Osirion," he says with a friendly smile, approaching so that he can read the notes. He pauses as he looks at the pages, searching for a tactful way to ask his question. "Ah... did you dictate your article?"

Dice bug

Radiant Oath

NG male Human (Taldan) Redeemer 1l | HP 12/21 | AC 19 | F +7 R +4 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | 15 ft | focus 1/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

51 to 100 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug — The Sandstone Secret [Gameday VIII PFS2] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.