Strange Aeons Prequel too! (Inactive)

Game Master Just a Mort

Strange Aeons Grp 2


301 to 350 of 747 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Shrine

”Thank you in the name of the Lady of Graves.” Granny Willow thanks Laelia for the donnation, and somewhere near the rooftop of the shrine, the party hears a whippoorwill call out.

”Yes, we can ill afford to deal with the walking dead and the nearest other midwife would be from Thrushmoor – 2 days by horseback. It would be too late by then.” Granny Willow replies. ”When my younger sister survived her difficult birth of twins with the assistance of a Pharsmin midwife, I pledged my life to her service.“ Granny Willow gives a faint smile. ”My sister is now living in Karcau, with my niece and nephew performing in the Opera. I get invitations occasionally.”

”May Pharasma guide your path.” Granny Willow echoes.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Inn

By the time the party returns to the inn, it is already dark. The inn tables are now partially full a number of sullen patrons who keep to themselves, occasionally eyeing the rest of the inn warily, while Barlow is back at the bar counter.

Cain has a table by himself, and is currently helping himself to a bowl of thickpea stew, with a few bits of chicken in it, an apple pie and a mug of apple cider. He waves happily at the party to join him at the table.

As the party joins him at the table, one of the other patrons, a man, his face partially concealed by a brown hooded cape, who’s slender build suggests agility rather then strength looks up from the mug of ale he is drinking, and makes his way to the table the party is at, while still carrying the mug of ale. Under the hood, the party can see he has messy reddish-brown hair, and inquisitive brown eyes. He reaches into the pocket in his leather armor and reveals a pin with the black blot on it. He cocks his head at the party, then says evenly, ”I believe you were expecting a delivery?”


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8
Laelia Korzha wrote:

Drawing Garrosh and Piotr (I think they're the only ones hurt at present, yes?) to the side, Laelia gently offered,

"Please, if I may, I would heal the wounds you have suffered this night."

With that, Laelia grasped the butterfly-shaped holy symbol and lifting her eyes heavenward, quietly uttered the prayer, //"Great Dreamer, let your curative light shine down and knit whole and clean that which is painfully torn and bruised."//

A transparent, crystalline-speckled wave of light, tinged in blue radiated out from the butterfly symbol and gently covered Garrosh and Piotr, taking away their open wounds and pain.

"Thank you Laelia" - Garrosh's smile is huge - "I had the feeling you would command such power. Now I know. You are truly a conduit for your goddess" - he offers a respectful nod.

GM Mort wrote:

Earlier

"If you would wish to donate to the cause, Pharasma would appreciate it, but I understand that times are hard, and not many can afford it."Granny Willow says frankly, as she gestures at the desolate landscape. "Over these years I've buried many here without charging, since it's safer for everyone if they are buried under the Goddess eyes so they don't rise up and come after the living."

"But... How so? Does this occur often in the region? The dead rising up to come after the living?" - the half-orc produces a single gold coin from his belt pouch, adding it to Laelia's donation.

--------------------------

Now, at the Inn

GM Mort wrote:

Inn

By the time the party returns to the inn, it is already dark. The inn tables are now partially full a number of sullen patrons who keep to themselves, occasionally eyeing the rest of the inn warily, while Barlow is back at the bar counter.

Cain has a table by himself, and is currently helping himself to a bowl of thickpea stew, with a few bits of chicken in it, an apple pie and a mug of apple cider. He waves happily at the party to join him at the table.

As the party joins him at the table, one of the other patrons, a man, his face partially concealed by a brown hooded cape, who’s slender build suggests agility rather then strength looks up from the mug of ale he is drinking, and makes his way to the table the party is at, while still carrying the mug of ale. Under the hood, the party can see he has messy reddish-brown hair, and inquisitive brown eyes. He reaches into the pocket in his leather armor and reveals a pin with the black blot on it. He cocks his head at the party, then says evenly, ”I believe you were expecting a delivery?”

Deckard Cain? :D

"You believe correctly" - Garrosh replies.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Shrine

"It occurs in all Ustalav."Granny Willow answers sourly. "Perhaps it is the lichking Tar-Baphon's cursed legacy."

"The Lady of Graves thanks you. " Granny Willow replies formally.

Inn

Cain, your coach driver

Without preamble, the man makes himself comfortable at the table. "I'm Havigan Krast. Just managed to get hold of the Illirigarde Manor key couple of days back, stopped by Thrushmoor to report and Count Lowls asked me to pass you these."He then takes out a 6 inch long bronze key and two miniature coffin shaped blood red crystalline containers. "Its been a long day since I've been up before dawn just to make it here as soon as I possibly could."


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12
GM Mort wrote:

"Hmm, do you think that there might be a way to get to Leng?"Lowls asks Rayland. "Key, gate...such significant words"Lowls ponders on the words.

"I care not about your past. Just ensure that the research is conducted to its exacting standards."Lowls answers, "It dreams of strange places and uses its mind to make it real - we must find the dreamer. We may be able to discover more about Leng. "Lowl says determinedly. "I would wish the dreamer to be delivered to me, alive, so that we can learn more about him."

"How did the creature attack you?" Lowls asks. "I posit that this creature might be a projection of something from Leng. But this is all speculation, of course.. I have nothing concrete to support this hypothesis."

"It didn't attack us directly, floating skulls assaulted us. Whether they lurked there, haunted the place or were summoned as part of this.. vision. I cannot say."

"Yes, I believe there must be a way to get there. Is it important to your work?"


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

"Hmm, strange indeed." Lowls answers.

"It's a mostly unexplored plane that scholars only know vague bits of information for - an uncharted vista. And its denizens are as powerful as they are mysterious. If we could find out more about it - we would be world renowned for our discoveries!" Count Lowls answers eagerly.


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

"Sit and join us." Piotr suggests, after hearing about Karst's journey. He also waves to the server for another plate of food, but not a drink, as he's carrying one. "Are you staying long or headed back in the morning?


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

”No it’s fine,” Havigan waves off the serving girl as she comes to take the order. ”I’ve already eaten, not that the food’s anything to stay for,” which draws a small wry grimace from the serving girl.

”Planning to head back in the morning. Just didn’t want to be out there at night,” Havigan answers, ”No point courting trouble, is there?” He adds.

”Besides I don’t really see that well at night.”
Havigan is human

He raises an eyebrow, ”If you want to verify the authenticity of the goods, I could follow you to the Manor and see that the key opens the Manor door, then I’ll probably be off – Count Lowls didn’t pay me for that, and I don’t see the point risking my life for people I’ve just met, even if we’re on the same employment roster.”


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

"Kind of blunt, aren't you." Piotr says with a low anger in his voice.. He's put off by Krast deciding to insult those around him so readily. "I think we could do without you tomorrow. If you got the wrong stuff, I'm sure Lowls will be having words with you soon enough." no reason to threaten him personally when the one who pays him is vastly more intimidating.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

”It saves time.” Havigan answers bluntly. ”Besides it’s an honest assessment, and I don't expect I'll be returning here anytime soon.”

”I’m pretty sure I got the right stuff, but I will agree it’s my responsibility to ensure that the goods in question work, and will personally follow through with that. If they don’t work, then I’ll have a score to settle with some people.” He rubs his jacket, in a manner suggesting that there is a knife in there.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

"We will most likely be heading up to the manor tomorrow morning" - Garrosh pipes in after asking for the cider - "If you stick around until then, we can do all that. If not, you can just leave, and we'll check if the key works for ourselves"


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

"I can stick around till then, if you want me to. It's probably a good policy otherwise if they don't work, Count Lowls will be displeased." Havigan replies. "Well, it's been a tiring day for me so I'm headed to bed." With that, he finishes the rest of his ale and makes his way up the stairs.

The stew, like yesterday is warm and filling, but not much else, being rather bland with only bits of chicken in it. The apple cider does not disappoint, being surprisingly robust and flavourful, if a tad tart, and has the kick of a mule.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

When the party finally heads to their beds, they all find themselves somewhere else once they fall asleep.

The party finds themselves in a vast necropolis filled with countless courtyards, monuments, graves, and forums teeming with petitioners, sitting on top of a large spire. A somberly dressed humanoid wears an ominous owl mask with gravestones floating near it like heavy shields separates itself from the throng of petitioners and approaches the party.

Rayland knowledge planes: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Kilarra knwoledge planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Rayland realizes that somehow their dreamselves are now in the Boneyard.

Rayland knowledge planes: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Kilarra knwoledge planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Rayland does not recognize the creature, but Kilarra recognizes it as a Ahmuuth Psychopomp, a divine servitor race of Pharasma.

An ahmuuth is responsible for helping mortals destroy undead and dispatch renegade souls evading the goddess’s judgment. Unlike morrigna psychopomps, who hunt lost or corrupted souls on their own, ahmuuths work with mortal worshipers and try to usher creatures like ghosts to peaceable final ends—when they can. When they can’t, they have no qualms about forcing wayward spirits to face their goddess’s judgment. An ahmuuth looks like a humanoid wearing an owl mask, and is always accompanied by floating gravestone shards that act as a shield. Like owls, ahmuuths are silent stalkers, revealing themselves only at the moment of attack. Ahmuuths stand just over 6 feet tall and weigh approximately 150 pounds.

”Pharasma thanks you for your service, and would grant you a blessing.” The somberly dressed humanoid in an owl mask scribes a reverse spiral in a glowing grey hand, and the party feels Pharasma’s blessing upon them.

For the next day, you may add a +1 to any attack roll, or skill check, after the roll has been made. This ability only works once.

”And a coin must be repaid in kind.” The somberly dressed humanoid in an owl mask presses a silver coin, with a reverse spiral onto it, into both Garrosh’s and Laelia’s palm.

Laelia:

You feel Pharasma enhancing your healing powers. All healing spells are cast at +1 caster level for the next day
Also, when she wakes up, Laelia finds the silver coin beside her bed.

Garrosh:

You may chose to reroll any roll you make the next day, and add a +1 bonus to it.
Also, when he wakes up, Garrosh finds the silver coin beside her bed.

Then the scene fades as the party slips back into dreamless slumber.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

Garrosh woke up with mixed feelings about it all - again he fiddled with the symbol around his neck and wondered why the gods were ambling so close to him. And why this dream involving all the others?

He stood up with a grunt, shaking away the doubts and confusing thoughts assaulting his mind, and then he saw the coin... "Someone is messing with you Garrosh..." - he pondered to himself, turning the small item around in his hand.

Yet he felt a tingling in his body, a lingering sensation after the dream - it made everything feel stronger and more real. More than once had he wished the gods would listen to him, would allow him a glimpse of their power for him to enact his vengeance, for him to honor... Could this be a sign of some sort?

The half-orc stopped, staring at his reflection in the closed window for a second, then chuckled, washed himself, donned his gear, grabbed the coin and went downstairs for breakfast and to join up with the others - "No musings today, there are other things to do"


Tiefling Paladin (Tortured Crusader) 3| HP 25/29 | Resist 5 Cold/Elec/Fire l AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | Ft +5 Rf +2 Wi +4* | Init +1 | Perc +7 l CMD 17 l Suicidal 1/1 l Smite 1/1 l LoH 2/2

What a weird dream. Thinks Kilarra as she gets up. She feels a lingering magic, not too unlike her previous powers. Her holy symbol is still broken. Psychopomp. Well maybe if I keep killing undead, Pharasma may favour me a little better.

She gets suited up and heads downstairs for breakfast and travel.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

The inn common room is now empty, the previous day's patrons no longer in the inn. The serving girl approaches the party, announcing in a nasally whine, "Today's breakfast is grilled cheese sandwiches."

"Also was that a friend of yours? He was kinda rude..." The serving girl comments.

Barlow is not at the bar counter.

If anyone asks for breakfast:

The serving girl brings sandwiches with cheese on them, warmed up over a grille. The cheese is rather tangy tasting though the dark rye bread is it's usual bland and chewy self. The tea is thin and watered down.

As the party settles themselves at the taproom, they hear footsteps down the stairway, then Havigan comes down from the stairs, yawning and rubbing his eyes, his reddish-brown hair rather mussed up. "I am NOT a morning person." He grumbles to no one in particular, then plops himself at the party's table. "So do you need me to go demonstrate the key's effectiveness, or can I go back to bed?"


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8
GM Mort wrote:

The inn common room is now empty, the previous day's patrons no longer in the inn. The serving girl approaches the party, announcing in a nasally whine, "Today's breakfast is grilled cheese sandwiches."

"Also was that a friend of yours? He was kinda rude..." The serving girl comments.

"The grilled cheese will do" - Garrosh nods in agreement - "And no, the blunt man is not a friend of ours" - Garrosh adds, when the food comes.

GM Mort wrote:
Havigan comes down from the stairs, yawning and rubbing his eyes, his reddish-brown hair rather mussed up. "I am NOT a morning person." He grumbles to no one in particular, then plops himself at the party's table. "So do you need me to go demonstrate the key's effectiveness, or can I go back to bed?"

"Yes, we need you to demonstrate" - Garrosh grunts, finishing his breakfast in two large bites - "Let us know when you are ready to go - I'll be outside" - then goes upstairs to grab the rest of his gear.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12

Rayland is almost beside himself with excitement as he throws himself out of bed. The dream had been incredibly real and he still felt the sweat running down his back from the experience.

"The dreamer..." he mutters to himself before hastily dressing and rushing to meet the others.

"The dreamer!" he says more vehemently. "This town is being affected by something or something. It's the dreamer... th... the Influencer we need, the one who is causing this and the one Lowls wants. Perhaps those dark spirits that the Lady touched in the Harrow."

"Yes, yes... the key!"


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

"I'm ready...and I'm not having breakfast. Too early." He waves the serving girl over, "Coffee. Black and unsweetened."

"We don't have coffee, sir. Would you like some tea?" The serving girl whines out.

Havigan furrows his eyes, "What the hell? No Coffee?" He gives an anguished groan. "Nooo....I can't start this early without coffee." He moans. "Ok, tea then." The serving girl then brings him a cup of tea, which he sips, then buries his head in his hands. "Oh my god...this is JUST GREAT. I'd complain about this watered down stuff but I'm feeling too tired to."

"Nevermind. I'll use the wash closet." He excuses himself, then heads to the wash closet, before coming out, looking like he splashed himself liberally with cold water and his hair is now in somewhat a reasonably neat.

"I'm ready." He announces to the party.

The party heads towards the Illirgarde Manor and as they head through the foothills on a dirt path, Kilarra, Garrosh and Piotr have a sense of being watched, but after some distance, that feeling fades. They also feel a strange sense of deja-vu. "We're being watched you know." Havigan comments, "By what, I have no idea."

The party arrive at a stone building that must have been luxurious and decadent in the past, but now the windows are boarded up and the banners are faded, full of holes and the door color looks faded and worn. The garden is overgrown with weeds, the pond a black mass of algae and many trees have died due to a lack of care, lying in pieces on the ground. The manor is utterly silent.

The party realizes that all the doors around the manor are locked."Pass the key," Havigan asks Garrosh, and once the key is handed over, he fits the said key into the lock, then turns it. There is a clicking sound, then Havigan pushes the door open.

"Ok, I've demonstrated the key works, I'm headed back to Dunlob." Havigan announces.

C1

Dusty sheets cover the furniture of the front hall—all save a large portrait flanked by unlit candelabras above the fireplace directly opposite the front door. The room smells musty and old. The portrait of Lady Illirigarde’s face unrecognizable, being violently scratched out. Despite the damage, the subject’s strong widow’s peak is still visible. The plaque below the painting reads “Lady Rena Illirigarde,” but something tried ineffectively to scratch that out and instead carved “Hate” in many places on the wooden frame.

As the party inspect the room and painting, the unlit candles ignite one by one, illuminating the defaced portrait. A moment later, there is a scratching sound to the east through the door. Inspecting the hallway reveals that there is light coming from the under the door to area to the north east.

Laelia does not detect any magic around the candles, but the light beyond the door has a faint evocation aura about it which both Rayland and Laelia recognize as a light spell.

Slide 6


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

"Good riddance" Piotr mutters, then follows the others in to the mansion. As they realize the light is coming from under the door, Piotr will approach it, keeping an eye out and shield up. "Let me know when you all are ready." he says quietly to the others.

Mort, you roll perception instead of us, correct?


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Take 10 is always on, but you can roll additional perception checks if you so wish

Earlier

”Good luck.”Havigan says, before heading off in the direction of Dunlob.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

Before

Rayland Burrows wrote:

"The dreamer!" he says more vehemently. "This town is being affected by something or something. It's the dreamer... th... the Influencer we need, the one who is causing this and the one Lowls wants. Perhaps those dark spirits that the Lady touched in the Harrow."

"Yes, yes... the key!"

I am assuming Rayland shares this with us?

"What? What do you mean Rayland?" - Garrosh stares back at his companion.

GM Mort wrote:
The party heads towards the Illirgarde Manor and as they head through the foothills on a dirt path, Kilarra, Garrosh and Piotr have a sense of being watched, but after some distance, that feeling fades. They also feel a strange sense of deja-vu. "We're being watched you know." Havigan comments, "By what, I have no idea."

Garrosh stops dead in his tracks for a moment, looking around, and even going so far as letting the others move ahead on the track a ways, so that he has some silence.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

There is something in those trees

GM Mort wrote:

The party arrive at a stone building that must have been luxurious and decadent in the past, but now the windows are boarded up and the banners are faded, full of holes and the door color looks faded and worn. The garden is overgrown with weeds, the pond a black mass of algae and many trees have died due to a lack of care, lying in pieces on the ground. The manor is utterly silent.

The party realizes that all the doors around the manor are locked."Pass the key," Havigan asks Garrosh, and once the key is handed over, he fits the said key into the lock, then turns it. There is a clicking sound, then Havigan pushes the door open.

"Ok, I've demonstrated the key works, I'm headed back to Dunlob." Havigan announces.

Piotr Tataru wrote:
"Good riddance" Piotr mutters, then follows the others in to the mansion. As they realize the light is coming from under the door, Piotr will approach it, keeping an eye out and shield up. "Let me know when you all are ready." he says quietly to the others.

"Definitely good riddance... I'm ready Piotr" - Garrosh replies, drawing his morningstar.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12

Rayland attempts to cast Detect Magic through the door.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Rayland - already given. Light spell.

Earlier in the hills

Garrosh spots two smooth-skinned, hairless humanoids with penetrating eyes and skin, which perfectly blends into the surroundings looking at the party from their hiding spots in bushes near the dirt track.


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

Piotr will do a quick check at the door to make sure nothing will explode
then open it, slowly and carefully.

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

The door is not trapped and Pitor doesn't hear anything from beyond the door.

C3

This room’s wall are polished steel and it contains several workbenches littered with broken glassware and alchemical apparatuses. Four tall mirrors hang from the walls. The bare floor suffers blast scars, as if some great explosion had taken place here. The party sees that the alembic stand is glowing, and Rayland identifies it as the item being subject to a light spell.

Garrosh, Kilarra and Laelia notice two labelled flasks of acid on the workbench and also see frost forming on the steel walls.

Kilarra knowledge religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Laelia perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Laelia knowledge religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Pitor perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Rayland perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Unfortunately Laelia and Kilarra both can't figure out what might be causing it...


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

Is the scratching sound coming from this room?


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

The scratching sound is now coming from the door opposite the room. Piotr also notices small holes into the baseboards that allow a Tiny creature to creep through the walls of the room they are currently in and the room opposite to their current room.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

Earlier in the hills:

GM Mort wrote:

Earlier in the hills

Garrosh spots two smooth-skinned, hairless humanoids with penetrating eyes and skin, which perfectly blends into the surroundings looking at the party from their hiding spots in bushes near the dirt track.

As he rejoins the others, Garrosh describes to them what he has seen - "Any idea what they may be?"

GM Mort wrote:
The scratching sound is now coming from the door opposite the room. Piotr also notices small holes into the baseboards that allow a Tiny creature to creep through the walls of the room they are currently in and the room opposite to their current room.

Garrosh stores the acid flasks - "Steel walls? To carry out explosive experiments of some sort?" - then grips his weapon nodding at Piotr and Kilarra - "Ready"


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Knowledge local Rayland: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Rayland recognizes them as skulks.

Skulks are a race of cowardly and lazy humanoids that live on the fringes of society, stealing what they need and doing what they must—even committing casual murder—to survive. Their unabashed cowardice is perhaps their most widely known trait, but skulks don’t see themselves as particularly craven. Instead, they view their dishonorable behaviors as the most expedient method of survival. They hate most other humanoids, viewing them as lazy and foolish, and think nothing of sneaking into a home, killing all the residents, and burglarizing what they can carry off without getting caught.

Skulks travel in small groups, rarely forming tribes of more than 16, for in larger groups bickering quickly leads to violent infighting. Murder between skulks is not uncommon, but they understand safety in numbers, and most frown upon treason within a group that is already relatively small, punishing traitors with a quick death. When possible, they set up camps in discreet spots near other settlements, commonly inhabiting sewers, caves, or forests—though their unsavory, murderous tactics often force them to relocate before local law enforcement, quickly alerted to their presence once the remains of a family of victims are discovered, finds them.

Skulks are roughly the same size as a human, averaging 6 feet tall, though they are significantly more gangly and nimble, and commonly weigh only 140 pounds. Skinny arms and legs help them sneak around obstacles and squeeze into narrow spaces. Skulks can live up to 50 years, though most die from violence long before that. Although skulks have racial Hit Dice, they generally advance in power by taking class levels. Rogue is a favorite choice among skulks, for their natural abilities at stealth and sneak attacks fit well with this choice, but they also excel in the roles of clerics, fighters and rangers who specialize in ranged weapons, and rarely as wizards (particularly illusionists).

Skulks can change the colour of their skin to match their surroundings.

A skulk’s racial bonus to Stealth comes from his ability to change the color of his skin to match his surroundings, even complex or regular patterns like bricks and mortar. A skulk loses this conditional bonus if he is wearing armor, or if he wears any clothing that covers more than one-quarter of his body, as skulks can only change their own flesh, not things they carry. A skulk normally conceals small items behind his body; by putting his back to a wall and changing his front half, he can hide the item because observers don’t have line of sight to the item.

They have sneak attack and can pass through forest and subterranean settings almost without a trace. Add +10 to the DC to track a skulk in these environments.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12

"Yes... yes. I think that you might be right." Rayland agrees. "Quite obviously this isn't a room of normal construction. Fireproofing perhaps... it's hard to tell after all this time."

"We shall have plenty of time to explore these mysteries I hope but I'm wary of that scratching."

Rayland draws and loads his crossbow.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

The air becomes chilly, the steel walls frost over, and a strange vision of the intact laboratory appears in the mirrors. Lightning from two generators blasts a tiny figure with limp wings as a woman with a strong widow’s peak observes. The tiny creature seems confused and screeches in protest as its arms drift left then right like hands on a compass. The woman seems displeased with the results and the creature’s pleading squeals. She shuts off the device, picks up the little figure, and throws it in a box covered with skulls. She closes the latch just as the vision fades. The frost begins to blacken and flake from the walls like ash, and as it does, it clumps together into hundreds of tiny creatures that twitch with life.

Rayland init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Garrosh init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Piotr init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Kilarra init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Laelia init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
creatures Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

knowledge nature Rayland: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Rayland realizes that it is a spider swarm, and being dimmunitive, they are immune to weapon damage and single target effects (aka all the swarm traits). They can be very distracting and have a poisonous bite.

The good news is they currently seem disorientated after materializing.

Party has a surprise round, then Garrosh, Kilarra and Laelia have additional full round actions before the swarm takes its turn. Slide 6


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

"Spread out!" - Garrosh warns the others, and throws an acid flask at the swarm.

-- Surprise Round --

Acid Flask: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 1 = 23
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

-- Round 1 --

Garrosh throws a second flask of acid at the swarm, then moves back.

Acid Flask: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 1 = 18
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

The first flask of acid splatters onto the grey spider swarm, killing all the spiders.

Guess you get to keep one flask ^^


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

Wohoo! The room remains the same as before? Or do we notice any changes?


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Remains the same.


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

"Spiders?" Piotr asks dubiously "Even with that Horrible amount of them. Aren't they little more than annoying?" leaving out the fact they formed straight out of ash in the air.

Piotr has never dealt with swarms before.

"Did everyone else have that vision? About the Lady torturing that little person. Is that box still around?" Piotr asks as he starts looking for it.


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

Piotr does not manage to find the box.


Tiefling Paladin (Tortured Crusader) 3| HP 25/29 | Resist 5 Cold/Elec/Fire l AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | Ft +5 Rf +2 Wi +4* | Init +1 | Perc +7 l CMD 17 l Suicidal 1/1 l Smite 1/1 l LoH 2/2

Vision religion or planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

"Good throw."
Kilarra doesn't feel like any of the stuff here makes any sense, so she just takes a sweep of the room for hidden objects or threats.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Strange Aeons Grp 2 |

There's some light from the door behind the party, coming from the small hole under the door.

See map for where light is coming from


F Night-born (Moon May) Changeling Cleric of Desna 1| AC 15/17, T12/14, FF13/15| HP 9/9, F+2/+4, R+1, W+5 | CMB +0, CMD 11| Init +1, Perc. +4, Darkvision 60ft | 0/6 Channel Positive Energy

Upon Piotr's question about the vision, Laelia nodded and gave a quiet "Yes, I saw the vision," in answer.

She was glad that Garrosh removed the swarm's threat so readily as it was one less thing to worry about.

Laelia grew thoughtful as Piotr went in search of the mysterious box. Looking to Rayland, who was closest to her, she asked, "Should we assist Kilarra in her search or should we remain here until she finds something and calls for us? She was not happy the last time we let her search on her own."

Laelia cast her mismatched eyes about her surrounds, wondering what other threat could be lurking nearby, or looking for something of note that could help them in their investigation.

Perception, to aid, from her current position: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Tiefling Paladin (Tortured Crusader) 3| HP 25/29 | Resist 5 Cold/Elec/Fire l AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | Ft +5 Rf +2 Wi +4* | Init +1 | Perc +7 l CMD 17 l Suicidal 1/1 l Smite 1/1 l LoH 2/2

Kilarra returns to the group and says "Didn't find anything. Which do you prefer, the door with the light near Garrosh, or the door in this room to your left?"


F Night-born (Moon May) Changeling Cleric of Desna 1| AC 15/17, T12/14, FF13/15| HP 9/9, F+2/+4, R+1, W+5 | CMB +0, CMD 11| Init +1, Perc. +4, Darkvision 60ft | 0/6 Channel Positive Energy

Quietly Laelia responded to Kilarra's question, "Perhaps we should begin investigating the chamber with the light shining 'neath the door." There has to be a reason why that chamber is lit and the one to our left is not, Laelia mused to herself. However, if her companions felt the other unlit chamber warranted attention first, she would not rebuke them and simply abide.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12
Piotr Tataru wrote:

"Spiders?" Piotr asks dubiously "Even with that Horrible amount of them. Aren't they little more than annoying?" leaving out the fact they formed straight out of ash in the air.

Piotr has never dealt with swarms before.

"Did everyone else have that vision? About the Lady torturing that little person. Is that box still around?" Piotr asks as he starts looking for it.

"That's mostly true. But when there are that many the swing of a weapon won't disperse them and they can be posionous. It's best not to underestimate anything here..."

"Yes, this light. There's something strange about this, let's check that first." Rayland says eagerly.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8
Piotr Tataru wrote:

"Spiders?" Piotr asks dubiously "Even with that Horrible amount of them. Aren't they little more than annoying?" leaving out the fact they formed straight out of ash in the air.

Piotr has never dealt with swarms before.

"Did everyone else have that vision? About the Lady torturing that little person. Is that box still around?" Piotr asks as he starts looking for it.

I kinda jumped the gun and assumed Rayland had shared the info with us - hope that is ok :P

"Yes, I also saw the woman" - Garrosh nods - "This place is definitely either haunted, or this is all a deception to keep superstitious folks at bay" - he adds, nodding at the door with the light coming from underneath it, and keeping his weapon at the ready.


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

Piotr nods in acceptance of the danger. He doesn't really like magic, though he accepts its usefulness, and this place reeks of it. "Okay, door to the south. Someone keep an eye behind us, those things weren't exactly noisy."

Then he'll move to the other door, do his not so great looking for traps (Ann cringes everytime he does it), and then opens it (if it is safe)

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

Piotr nods in acceptance of the danger. He doesn't really like magic, though he accepts its usefulness, and this place reeks of it. "Okay, door to the south. Someone keep an eye behind us, those things weren't exactly noisy."

Then he'll move to the other door, do his not so great looking for traps (Ann cringes everytime he does it), and then opens it (if it is safe)

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 ugh...


Tiefling Paladin (Tortured Crusader) 3| HP 25/29 | Resist 5 Cold/Elec/Fire l AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | Ft +5 Rf +2 Wi +4* | Init +1 | Perc +7 l CMD 17 l Suicidal 1/1 l Smite 1/1 l LoH 2/2

"Alright. I'll take the rear guard." Replies Kilarra

You made a double post, my dude.


Piotr: Fighter 2/Spirtualist 1| HP 26/28 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | Ft +6 Rf +4 Wi +6*(+2 Ann In Brain,+1vs fear) | Init +2 | Perc +2 l CMD 17 | spells: level 1 2/2 | conditions: -2 dex -2 con --- Ann: HP 19 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Ft +2 Rf +5 Wi +5 | Init +2 | Perc +0

Odd. Obviously the second one is the one I saw, hence the ugh. I'm on a laptop while I'm visiting. Smaller screen.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 | HP 8/8 | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4 | Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8 | Perc +2 | Init +8 | Base Atk +0; CMB 0; CMD 12

As they await the door being opened and whatever beyond being revealed, Rayland's mind wanders back to the front hall and that domineering portrait of the Lady herself.

It isn't the portrait that draws him though, it is the wooden frame so defaced and scarred and scratched.

Hate

Such a small word. But such power and venom in it. Who had scratched that? And what caused them to hate so deeply?

301 to 350 of 747 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strange Aeons Prequel too! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.