EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons

Game Master Evil Minion

A series of 6 PFS scenarios... all set on the edges, and often inside, of the demon-infested Worldwound!

─► Maps and stuff ◄─


251 to 300 of 2,725 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT
With a concentration of effort, the Confluence District has been mostly cleared of invaders with only sporadic attacks in progress.

It appears to be getting harder to hold down the Districts though, as the horde is starting to reinforce their ranks...

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"I mean, owning books about the dark arts doesn't mean you're a practitioner..." You really can tell when you're the only hunter for the Archives. Sheesh!

Still, Sangkip is quite unnerved by the sight of Thurl's bedroom decor.

Local?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

GM:
I'm thinking local only because around here the Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth are a substantial concern. No biggy if no information gathered.


Floria will recognize the creature in the painting as a minotaur... though perhaps overdramaticized for effect.

Alessio examines the paper hanging off the desk, and realizes it is not paper at all, but a thin parchment. One edge of it is embedded in cooled wax that was spilled on the table, which is probably what was holding it in place from falling off completely.

Parchment text:
Colleague in arms,
I send this letter in swiftness, hoping it reaches you in time. Our mutual overlords have informed me that they move to strike Mendev in a war to eclipse any before. Your efforts in Nerosyan have not gone unnoticed and I think it time you leave the shackles of your Society. I shall dispatch a runner to follow this letter, and he will lead you to me. I look forward to finally meeting you face to face, so that we might better plan our next moves.

Make haste,

-T. D.

In the hall, the removal of crates and boxes is a slow process, the next barrel that comes out is full of bundles of arrows, though none of them have any fletching on them. The one after that appears to be old uniforms of some sort, though you don't recognize the design. Then some old blankets, and strangely, a box filled entirely with shoes... mostly the right ones.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

Thurl, a traitor? Ye gods. We must get word to Society leadership. Thurl's knowledge of our operations and capabilities will undermine our efforts here. Alessio shakes his head. Duty and it's shirking seem to be a theme today.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

"I agree we must inform Jorsal, but now we know that Thurl was involved with the attack we might be able to find information here that can help us understand and defeat it. Information that Thurl might have wanted to hide..."

She times this last with walking up to the painting and removing it from the wall with a flourish, expecting it to reveal a safe or something behind it. If not she'll examine behind the back of the painting for anything hidden, then look around the table, particularly for other letters, responses etc.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

"Perhaps this runner that was sent used a method of transport that caused a great deal of damage, perhaps a portal of some sort?. Anyway let's look through the final two doors that are left to us before we report this back.

She'll then go try the locked door near the entrance to the library, try it a few more times, and get frustrated and leave it to Sangkip or Allessio.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"Oh, did that not open? Give me a second."

Disable Device: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Then take-20 if that fails


Floria's dramatic removal of the large painting on the wall does not reveal the safe she was hoping for ... but it does reveal a couple of small holes in the wall there.

Glancing through them, you find yourselves looking to a neighboring room, on the other side of the wall. Though there is little to see beyond a couple of beds, one just to the left, below the hole you're peering through, and another on the far side of the room.

There were only two locked doors, both on this side, both of which got opened. The door on the other side, was just stuck a little... and already got pushed open =)

There's just the one in the hallway, where you are, which was not locked, and another back in the room with the first set of books, which you did not try, though did note a large crack down the middle of it.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara prepares to open the door in the hallway.

Unless prevented, she opens it.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni stops opening crates and returns to help the others. "Odd." He reports, "But nothing worth noting."


Though expecting the worst, the door opens easily enough to Kara's push. The room beyond appears to be some sort of meeting room.

A huge table fills the center of it, surrounded by high-backed leather chairs. A large beam fell down from above during the explosion, but it does not appear to have damaged the table at all... now it's just laying forlornly on top of it, like it has failed at its task.

More bookshelves line the walls, each of them full of books and scrolls, some of which have recently fallen to the floor. The nearer shelf on the right side has tipped over, spilling its contents all over the floor and under the table. It partially blocks the aisle on that side.

The most notable thing in the room, however, is in the far right corner. A large, vulture-headed, demon of some sort stands on a round stone platform, seemingly frozen in an attack pose, wings furled at its side. The sight takes you back for a moment, until you realize that this particular demon lost its final battle with the taxidermist a long time ago... now fated to forever stand vigil over this room instead.

Knowledge (planes), DC 19:
It is a vrock! One of the more powerful demons of the Abyss.

Thankfully, far less frightening in stuffed form, than a real one might have been.

There are two other doors leading out of this room, one on the north wall at the far end, that likely leads to the room Floria saw through the holes in Thurl's bedroom. The other is across from it, beside the display demon, and judging by the large crack down the middle of it, leads to the smaller room you saw off of the main entrance.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

Alessio will look over the door for traps before proceeding into the smaller room off the entrance.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Alessio, I have no idea what you're examining. Until you enter the room, you've looked at everything else =)

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

checking door for traps unless it's clear. I'll walk in the room.


I looked at the map, it all makes sense now. Confusion abated!

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara is taken aback by the looming demon, but quickly recovers her composure.

Knowledge Planes DC19: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

It is a vrock! One of the more powerful demons of the Abyss.

Kara pages through the scrolls and books, looking for anything interesting.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT
The Woundward District has been brought under control.

Sporadic attacks are being felt in all districts, and victory against the horde is far from assured...

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon joins Kara at the bookshelves and starts examining the tomes. Let's see what other blasphemous materials this traitor Thurl was reading, shall we? Eamon says without humor. perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 FYI Eamon has ranks in knowldge planes, history, local, and religion..so he'd recognize a wide array of occult writings. (GM feel free to roll for Eamon if any of those knowledges apply to the books he and Kara are perusing.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Sorry, I got confused about which doors were locked

Floria eyes the choice of decoration for the meeting room as she enters. "Hmmm, charming decor in here."

Then she walks round the table to the door to the room with the peepholes. "Let's see who he was spying on shall we?"
She'll try the door, then go in and look around if it opens. If it doesn't she'll instead go through the books on the shelves next to her.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


GM Screen:
Alessio Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Eamon Init1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14, Eamon Init2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Floria Init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Huni Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Kara Init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Sangkip Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

vi: 1d20 ⇒ 10

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21, 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Kara and Eamon start picking through the books spilled out by the overturned bookcase, noting that, at first glance, most of them seem to be related to demons and demonic rituals. Not a surprising subject, given where you are, though it will take some time to go through and inventory everything.

As Alessio checks the southern door, Floria wanders over to the north one, to see about the room she saw through the peepholes. The door is not locked, and opens relatively easily to reveal the bedroom she saw earlier.

Alessio doesn't have quite the same success with his. Though it does not appear to be locked, the crack down the middle shows it has clearly undergone some serious structural stress from the explosion. He can tell the entire door frame seems to be out of alignment. He gives it a push, but it resists his efforts to slide open easily...

Of course, exactly how badly it is jammed becomes a moot point a moment later, as Alessio suddenly hears the sound of dry leathery hide creaking, and the pinging sounds of braces and supports snapping, right behind him.

Before he can turn, something slams into his back with such force, he crashes face first into the door, pushing the entire thing open from the shear force of it. Bits of stone and wood fall down from above as the frame shifts. (12 damage to Alessio)

He, and everyone else, are shocked, and a little surprised to see the giant demon suddenly start moving, one backhand swing of its arm slamming into Alessio as he worked on the door. It slowly shifts on its platform, pulling its feet up from the pegs that hold them in place, its arms snapping free of the wires that kept them in their previously frozen pose.

It still seems like the stuffed trophy it was a moment before, but one that has suddenly started to move.

Perhaps there is some fight left in it yet!

Knowledge (arcana), DC 15:
Clearly its still a taxidermic display, but it appears to have been animated! Now little more than a stuffed construct that still resembles its original demonic form.

and of course, more info with better results!

- Round 1 -----
Sangkip
Alessio (-12)
Floria
Huni
Eamon
Kara

vrock

Party is up!

Note: the brown square on the map is where the bookcase tipped over. That area is difficult terrain... as is any space with a chair in it. The table is... well, a table. It gets in the way.

All three doors in this room are currently open

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Knowledge Arcana DC15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

It's not a real demon, just a magically animated construct!

She fires a Force Missile at it.

Force Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

FM 3/6

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

Get back! Foul creature! Alessio steps back and tosses a bomb at the construct.

bomb, ranged touch: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 5) + 4 = 15

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangip hustles into the room at Alessio's cry, easily scampering up onto the table Climb speed. Thrilled to hear that this is no true demon, he draws his nicer daggers and hawks a glob of acid at the beast.

Acid Splash: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Acid: 1d3 ⇒ 2
Sneak Attack if it didn't know I was around? Probably not?: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4


Kara:
As a construct, it will have all the usual traits such animated creatures will have.

Luckily, its not made out of stone or metal, so though it will have some degree of resistance to damage, it won't be nearly as bad as it would have were it made of something harder than dried demonic hide.

ie: just the default hardness =)

More importantly, if it is indeed a taxidermic creation, than it is likely stuffed with things like dried straw, or rags. All of which might make it more susceptible to fire.

Kara responds to the large trophy demon animating by firing a projectile of force at it. It strikes the vrock in the shoulder, sending up a small puff of dust, though the actual damage seems minimal. Sangkip joins the fun, trying a similar tactic with a small splash of arcane acid... the caustic substance singes some of the leathery skin, but again, not enough to cause any serious impedance.

Alessio though, has much higher aspirations. He steps away from the demonic construct, as he quickly mixes some volatile chemicals, then turns to lob them back the way he came. Unfortunately, even as he throws the bomb, he realizes he has vastly underestimated the things reach! Throwing the bomb leaves him exposed just long enough for one withered claw to reach out across the intervening space and slam down on him, throwing him violently into the nearby bookcase (7 damage to Alessio). But it does not stop there. Even as the chemicals shatter across the vrock's chest, it's dried out form lighting up easily, the claw closes over his head, nails digging into his shoulders and it drags him towards itself, right into the flames spreading out across its body!

GM Screen:
AoO: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20, 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
grab: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34

- Round 1 -----
Sangkip
Alessio (-19, grappled)
Floria
Huni
Eamon

Kara
vrock (-26, grappling)

Huni, Eamon, and Floria to go!!

edit: yay for precise bombs

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

I can exclude myself from the splash with the Precise Bomb discovery. Tough critter!

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

As Kara lets her Force Missile fly, she notices something.

It's filled with straw! Get Alessio away and burn it!


Aye, don't underestimate it!
edited prior post to account for precise bombs!

On the plus side, as Kara just pointed out, you did do far more damage than expected! =)

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Knowledge(Arcana): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Floria instinctively lashes out with a couple of bolts of pure mental force at the new enemy, the crossbow in her hands forgotten.

Magic Missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4

Then then backs away along the far side of the table putting some distance between herself and the construction. Upon hearing Kara's exhortation she drops her crossbow and gets ready to start searching through her belt pouches for anything that can cause fire.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni moves up to try and help Alessio. Unfortunately, he can't quite get there.


Huni, that was only 45' of movement... if you're desire was to get any closer. If not, then nm =)

Grand Lodge

GM

A burly, armored, gore-covered dwarf approaches you. "'s lookin' like you need this more 'n I do." He hands you a grimy, blood covered token. "Dun worry, most'a that ain't mine."

Another seeker aid token from Quaff Ironfist!

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

I can get there. I just can't do anything once I do.

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon makes his way through a tangle of chairs to confront the construct demon. He draws his sword and takes an awkward swing as moves within' his weapon's reach. (GM if the construct had reach it certainly got an AoO on Eamon...(Eamon will attempt to parry, and riposte any blow in his direction that he could also riposte) L sword: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15dmg: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Parry+riposte:
parry-size penalty: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 6 - 2 = 11riposte (if needed): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17dmg: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Eamon... normally, sure... unless they've already used them, or were grappling and didn't get it. =) At least one of those is true now

GM Screen:
maintain: 1d20 + 15 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 15 + 5 = 36, 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

On the other side of the room, Floria slowly backs away from the grasping creature's reach, firing a pair of magical projectiles of her own, both of which slam into the construct, though it does not seem to notice.

As she starts digging through her pack, looking for something flamable, Huni rushes into the room from the hallway where he had been finishing up with the crates, but the best he can do is thread his way through all the furniture trying to get close enough to help. Eamon, being closer to start with, does just that, leaping over one of the leather chairs, ducking past where Alessio struggles weakly in the demon-trophies grasp, and hacks at that offending arm with his sword... only to have the blade bounce off the things toughened dried out hide, doing little more than kicking up a bit of dust.

For its part, the taxidermic vrock continues to grasp Alessio by the head as the flames from the bomb slowly die down, continuing to smolder along its upper torso. It lifts the poor alchemist bodily off the ground, and slams him into the nearby wall, over and over(10 damage to Alessio). Alessio's struggles grow weaker and weaker, clearly not able to withstand much more. Even now, the world around him is starting to grow dark.

- Round 2 -----
Sangkip
Alessio (-29, grappled)
Floria
Huni
Eamon
Kara

vrock (-30, grappling)

Party is up again!

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10
Seeker Aid Token wrote:


You may use this token to:
Benefit from aid another
or
Increase an attack’s damage
or
Heal all PCs
or
Increase a spell’s save DC

I think a "Heal all PCs" could not come quickly enough for Alessio.

Kara points at the Vrock and murmurs, "Burn."

Spontaneous Immolation damage, Evoker: 3d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 2, 2) + 1 = 9 Fort DC17 half; Burn 1d6 on fail

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni takes the last steps forward and taps Eamon with his wand.

Wand of Cure Light Wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Eamon's not injured... will assume you mean Alessio =)

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

Huni, if we use the token as Kara suggested, we don't need the wand if you want to redirect. I'm in favor of the token :) Assuming I get the full heal, I'll take my turn.

Alessio twists in the grasp of the creature but frees a hand enough to activate a bomb. Burn, baby, burn.

bomb, grappled, touch attack: 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 8 - 4 = 16
damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 2) + 4 = 11
Precise bomb will exclude myself and Eamon.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Floria can see Alessio being beaten up, but knowing it has no mind and that her psychic missile hardly seemed to phase it, she's starting to panic. She can feel her dark half trying to rise, but she suppresses it with a force of will. She can't help you here

Making up her mind to at least try to be useful, she starts to move around the table, drawing her wand of cure light wounds as she does so. After 20 ft. of movement she tries to activate it in much the same way as she just saw Huni do, planning to hold the charge and deliver it later.

Use Magic Device to activate wand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

"Dammit!"

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

RetConn:

Kara realizes almost too late that constructs are immune to the spell she was about to cast, so she tries to jump up on the table to get closer.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Leaping nimbly up to the table (I assume), she moves quickly to the far end, leaping down

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

to get into position for her next-best fire spell. Aimed to avoid allies if possible, of course.

Burning Hands, Evoker: 3d4 + 1 ⇒ (3, 1, 2) + 1 = 7 Reflex DC16 half

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Vaulting over the chair from his vantage point atop the table, Sangkip plunges his dagger into the dangerous automaton!

Charge!: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31 It hadn't come up yet, but Sangkip does Sneak Attacks on charges
Magic Slashing: 1d3 + 6 + 2d8 ⇒ (2) + 6 + (1, 1) = 10 Giving the 'Vrock' a -2 to attacks, -2 extra towards Sangkip

Confirm?: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 10 + 2 = 22
Extra Damage: 1d3 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Technically, you would need to be one square to the left, for it to have been a charge, since you have to do so from the closest space from which you can make an attack. But just aesthetics at this point! =)

GM Screen:
reflex: 1d20 + 0 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 0 - 2 = 12

Huni pulls out a wand and manages to reach in to send a small amount of healing energy to Alessio, even as the alchemist is being painfully slammed against the wall. Floria tries to prepare a similar trick, but can't seem to get her wand to function, suddenly unsure if it was a clockwise, or counterclockwise, rotation needed to activate it.

Barely able to see through the demonic claw clamped over his head and the pain lancing through his body, Alessio hangs on to consciousness as he fumbles about at his belt for more of the chemicals stored there. Not even sure he's grabbing the right ones, but fueled by desperation, he flings a small cocktail of them at his tormentor.

Almost instantly, the entire front side of the taxidermic vrock bursts into flames again, dried skin cracking and melting under the heat, and the rags and straw stuffed inside lighting up like tinder. But none of it is enough to force it to stop, as the now flaming construct continues to crush the life out of him.

Knowing he can't possibly survive much longer and needs help, Kara buckles her swash, and leaps up onto the table beside Sangkip, before racing across, and leaping gracefully off the far side. As she hits the floor, her hands go up, fanned out in front of her, as she chants some arcane phrases. Instantly, a gout of flame spreads out from her outstretched hands, engulfing the rest of the construct in a small inferno of fire!

Already, you can tell it's having a hard time remaining standing, as the stitches and dowels that hold its limbs in place go up like matchsticks. The fire spreads quickly along the straw that was used to stuff its form, like a funeral pyre for some demonic effigy. Greasy black smoke rises up to the ceiling, small sparks and ashes spreading out into the room.

But still its maintains its death grip on Alessio... now upgraded to a fiery death grip.

But, even as its form burns, and starts to disintegrate under the spreading flames, Sangkip races across the table, leaping off the end, dagger in hand, and drives it into the exposed stitching along the constructs right flank. His momentum caries him down towards the floor, the blade tearing the seam as it goes, exposing even more of the stuffing to the flames, all of which quickly alights. Within moments the entire display is on fire.

The arm holding Alessio finally breaks free, no longer able to stay attached to the rest of the body, and the alchemist stumbles breathlessly away from the rising flames before he can be hurt any further, tossing the smoldering arm away as he does so.

And just like that, the animating force behind the vrock breaks down, and you quickly step back as the rest of it continues to burn, no longer a threat to anyone.

Except possibly the building you're standing in...

Combat Over!

Status: Alessio 7/31

In my head I pictured Sangkip's attack like the classic scene from that old silent movie The Black Pirate, where Douglas Fairbanks (Sr!) uses his dagger to descend down the sail

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangkip visibly preens, but tries to downplay things nonetheless.

"So. A Vroxidermy Golem. That's a first. Oh, anyone got some water for the fire there?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

Alessio drops to a knee, drawing in breath. He composes himself a moment and stands. He plucks a wand from his bag and begins stitching himself up.

clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

30/31 HP

Thank you. A close call, for sure. I'll be sure to be extra careful walking by taxidermy in the future. Alessio tidies himself up and give a quick comb to the mustache before attending to other repairs.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Well done, everyone! What an adventure this is!

Is the building on fire? If so, Kara tries quenching it with Ray of Frost (the description says it's comprised of "freezing air and ice", so I think it's at least plausible as a fire-extinguisher-of-last-resort).

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Floria runs over after the destruction and starts stomping on the fire (probably rather ineffectually) in an effort to make up for not contributing to the creature's demise. She'll do her best to avoid Kara's frost blast if it goes off though!

"Well done all of you, I feel very lucky to be part of your team. I fear if I'd confronted that thing on my own I'd have been powerless against it!"

Floria will be sure to pick up her crossbow once the fires been dealt with (even if dealing with it is by running away)


Think of it more as descriptive prose, than any sort of actual hazard =)

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

The same outcome I'm sure, Floria. It would be bathed in fire and I would be careful not to singe even one of your hair. Alessio is ready to be a hero again after near annihilation.


With the immediate threat, of what you can only hope was just a leftover security measure, gone, you can take a moment to recover.

Though the demonic trophy burns hot, it also burns quickly. Luckily, there is nothing immediately flammable in that corner of the meeting hall, so with a little caution, to make sure some of the smoldering ash doesn't spread further into the room and hit the nearby books, the fire burns itself down in short order. Eventually just a chard pile of ashy debris, and blackened scorch marks on the walls, floor, and ceiling, in the corner of the room, are all that remain... accompanied by the distinct acrid smell of burnt hide and feathers.

Eventually, you are able to take a look into the last room, which appears to be set up for guests. It is relatively spartan, holding only a couple of beds, and an elaborate portrait of Iomedae on the western wall. This room, like the other bedroom, has largely escaped the damage from the explosion.

Of course, Floria knows the holes in the other room, looked into this one, and from that vantage, should look out right where the portrait is hanging. The corresponding holes on this side though, prove hard to find, especially once you realize the portrait is fixed to the wall, and can't just be easily taken down. You really have to look closely, but eventually you will see where the eyes of the Goddess have been carefully removed, to allow the holes on the far side to see through to this one.

At this point, you have explored what remains of Thurl's Lodge (other than the back of the storeroom... but you would have to spend perhaps half an hour to clear enough boxes to get back there).

So now you need to decide where to go next...
All of the districts are at the same relative threat level.
As well, you do have the note you found on the table, seemingly implicating someone of collusion with the demonic forces.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

EM±GM, going the extra mile on the map! Nice!

Once the flames are safely out via spell or stomp, Kara turns her attention to the nearby bedroom, wondering what it was that was being spied upon from the other room.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

It's nice I'm rolling all these 19's and 20's for Acrobatics and Perception and not saving them for attack rolls or saves, right? More exciting that way?

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 21/14/17 | F+7 R+9 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 10/10 | Active Conditions: None

our options are to pick from any district then? Worldwound and Egelsee are adjacent, might as well go there.

251 to 300 of 2,725 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.