EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons

Game Master Evil Minion

A series of 6 PFS scenarios... all set on the edges, and often inside, of the demon-infested Worldwound!

─► Maps and stuff ◄─


1 to 50 of 1,274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

You have all been assigned to travel to the city of Nerosyan, in distant country of Mendev. Known as the Diamond City, Nerosyan sits right on the border to the demon-infested Worldwound to the northwest, and the barren, savage lands of Numeria to the south.

As far as you know, many resources, and Pathfinder agents (yourself included), from all across the Inner Sea are being directed there. You're not entirely certain what the occasion is, though rumor seems to hint at something to do with dwarves and some agents supposedly finding the location of one of the lost Sky Citadels! If so, it would appear the Society is going all-in on the discovery, and you are going to be part of it!

It's a little exciting... if somewhat worrying that it seems to be so close to the Worldwound.

You all are starting in different locations, some reassigned directly from the Grand Lodge in Absalom, but others from other locations, from Magnimar to Katapesh. Some travel alone, others in small groups, be they fellow Pathfinders, merchant caravans, or just random travelers going the same direction.

It is thousands of miles, and well over a month travel, from Absalom to Mendev, worse if you're starting further out... you will no doubt have many different traveling companions over the next few weeks. Probably best that you are getting a start now, if you wish to get there in time.

I had to actually post some text to start the Gameplay thread... so this will do. =)

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Her mission in Nirmathas complete, expatriate Taldan noble Kara Saint-Germaine receives word to travel to the distant country of Mendev. She uses her connections to arrange a carriage, and travels in style for as long as possible.

Along the way she meets with an old acquaintance and a new friend from her homeland?

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 22/14/19 | F+8 R+9 W+3 | Init +5 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 9/9 | Active Conditions: Shield

Resuming our conversation having taken place boarding the carraige?

Gouts of flame erupting from an enemy would be quite the trick. The magics I dabble with are much more personal. Thank you for even considering sharing your knowledge. Alessio bows from his seat.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

With his experience in the chaotic land of the fey behind him, Huni is directed to Mendev. He shoulders his pack and makes arrangements to face the foes brought forth by the worldwound.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

Floria's last mission was in Nantambu on the southwestern edge of the Mwangi expanse. She had begun the long and arduous journey back to Absalom some time ago, opting for the slightly more dangerous and lengthy but less taxing option of taking a ship from Bloodcove to circumnavigate Garund (and the Eye of Abendego). I imagine she arrived back into the Grand Lodge weary after weeks of sea travel, only to find it quiet and to learn many agents had already head off to Nerosyan.

She had hoped to get an insight into the demonic worship rampant in the Mwangi, and by extension into her own unholy background. She had heard the whispering of Camazotz in a dark cave, but found it perfectly alien and left knowing no more about herself than when she had arrived. Hearing that many Pathfinders had headed off to a new discovery near the world wound and that she was late, she set off with all haste to Mendev.

Taking the most direct route north through Andoran, then Druma, then boarding a ship across lake Encarthen heading for Caliphas she set off overland across Ustalav again.

Impossibly weary and dirty from travelling, I imagine it's arriving at some inn in rural Ustalav amongst the thick fog that Floria and her temporary travelling campanions are greeted by a vision of a fine carriage outside, and Floria hears the pleasant laughter of her countrymen enjoying the hospitality inside.

Floria bursts through the doors without ceremony, and despite her tiredness and her stink from travelling, she can't help but smile at seeing fellow Pathfinders.

For the love of all that is holy Please tell me this place has a bathhouse!

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

An extremely small vanara swaggers out of an adjoining room, clad only in his brightly dyed fur and a slightly oversized washcloth.

His loud greeting grates on the ear as he calls out, "Bathhouse might be pushing it, but the tubs they've got are nice enough." Think Gilbert Gottfried as Iago

Keeping his precarious covering secure with his tail, he hops up onto a table and holds out his paw. "Sangkip. I'm taking a break from closing extraplanar rifts while being caught in a temporal loop by coming to the big gramma of all rifts." He shrugs fatalistically, "Maybe I'll pick something up here that'll help make closing the other one stick next time I'm sucked in."

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

Huni eyes Sangkip curiously. "I am not even going to pretend to understand what you just said, but it is good to meet you. All of you."

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

"If you don't ever want to understand stuff like that, stay out of the Blakros Museum - that's all I'm saying."

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

Floria collects herself on seeing new unfamiliar pathfinders.

"I'm sorry where are my manners, my name is Floria Avernathus, and this is my handmaiden Martella Clay"

She indicates the stoic and burly 6 foot tall woman who came in with her laden down with a heavy backpack and numerous bags.

"Martella if you would be so kind as to see about lodgings for us for the night and take my things to our room."

She turns to Sangkip, all discomfort at her appearance and smell forgotten.

"You mentioned extra planar rifts? To where? Are you an experienced extra planar traveller?"

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

"The Plane of Shadows, or at least some kinda Shadowy Demi-Plane from what I've been told. I haven't actually crossed over to the other side, mainly just stabbed and finessed my way into closing 'em up before they could rip all the way open."

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Oh, how fascinating! I get some of my power from tapping, ever so briefly, into the Elemental Planes. But it's nothing so interesting as that.

Kara giggles.

None of them sound like a particularly pleasant place to spend a vacation, no?

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

"Depends what you like in your vacations. If you like life-draining tentacles, from what I've seen, the Shadow Plane's hard to beat."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

"Life-draining tentacles"? I see you've met my mother.

Kara collapses into giggles at her own joke.

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

Huni looks aghast at hearing someone speak of their own parentage like Kara did.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Kara notices Huni's look.

Is something wrong, good sir? Have I offended you? I certainly hope not.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

"Well, I am accustomed to being respectful of my parents. Though I recognize that I may be missing some context." He does not look like he thinks he's missing context.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Rest assured, good sir, that if I tease my parents in a way which may seem disrespectful, it is done with love. It is common in Taldor, and does not mean they are not respected.

And I'm sure your parents didn't send you away to boarding school when you became "troublesome" with too many questions.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 22/14/19 | F+8 R+9 W+3 | Init +5 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 9/9 | Active Conditions: Shield

Relationships with one's parents can be a troublesome thing. It's rather a spectrum. Some deserve the chiding. Alessio is moved to ponder the relationship with his parents, bubbling up some painful discussions.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will
Kara Saint-Germaine SF wrote:
And I'm sure your parents didn't send you away to boarding school when you became "troublesome" with too many questions.

LOL!

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

"Ha! Unless your parent is close enough to throw something at you, it's kind of a moot point isn't it?" Sangkip gives a Cheshire grin to punctuate his words.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara laughs.

Why, yes, I suppose so. I confess I never thought of it that way before. You are quite wise, my simian friend. And what is your relationship with your parents, if I may be so bold?

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon keeps to himself while waiting for assignment. I finally get my requested posting to Nerosyan and Now I’m forced to wait ! The worldwound is a stone’s throw away ... Iomedea’s tears ... the Grand Lodge will do anything to prevent the Silver Crusaders from obtaining glory! It’s jealousy... they know our holy warriors although less in number outshine their pitiful efforts! It’s the Crusade that has always done the heavy lifting.. when it comes to putting down outsiders and the rest of the so callled factions know it and conspire to keep us idle! Eamon slams his fist down on the table spilling a little of the cider in front of him. He challenges any glances shot his way to hide his embarrassment at having lost his temper over an internalized struggle.

He sighs heavily and goes back to nursing the Drink. He notices a Vanara talking to a comely half-elf lass and has a bit of deja vu.. Those two look familiar? The monkey man especially... have I worked with them before?

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

Floria returns from washing up looking rather more relaxed and smelling rather better. She smiles warmly to see Kara and the others laughing together.

I do hope I don't lose control and hurt one of them. It's probably safest for everyone involved if...

She's broken out of her reverie by the sound of a fist slamming down on the table next to her, where she sees a young man getting worked up about something. Probably another Pathfinder anxious about the mission, like all of us.

She sits in the chair opposite.

"Good evening, heading to Nerosyan too I presume? I'm Floria. Oh don't get up, I'm much too tired for formalities tonight. Have you heard what to expect up there? When I arrived in Absalom most had already left so I've only heard that there has been some great diacovery."

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

I GM'd for Eamon through his crisis of faith in Qadira, but I don't recall him meeting Sangkip?

"Hmm? Oh, well out of range I'm happy to say. I don't visit much; there's probably some carefully vetted Vanara whose grandmother knew my grandmother lying in wait for the next time I go home."


Its been a long trip, getting all the way to Nerosyan from where you started. For most of you, you've been traveling for what seems like months. Staying in inns ranging from dubious to elaborate... when there was an inn to stay in at all.

As you've traveled, you've met up with other travelers going in the same direction... but as most such long journeys go, those travelers eventually peeled off towards their own final destinations, like small tributaries branching off to feed other parts of Avistan.

Some of those you've encountered have even been fellow Pathfinders, many of whom have also been en route to Nerosyan. By the time you hit Mendev, you've formed a small contingent of your own, all heading to the Diamond City.

When Nerosyan finally does come into view, it is not entirely what you expected. Perhaps due to its evocative nickname, you were expecting glimmering spires of crystals or shining diamond shaped towers, or something inspiring great beauty and wealth. Instead, what you see is a city built for war.

Set at a natural junction where the Egelsee joins up with the northernmost branch of the West Sellen River, Nerosyan more resembles a giant siege fortress, built entirely for defense rather than aesthetics. Walls rise around the entire city, topped with crenelations and dozens of towers, clearly built to ensure defenders can easily pour fire or hot oil on attacking forces. The tops of the walls are covered in sloped roofs cut with arrow slits as if set to ward off aerial assaults.

The city seems different once you're inside the walls as well. Most of the people you pass appear to be soldiers, or mercenaries, or heavily armored crusaders... all of them going about their businesses with serious expressions. The shining sword symbol of Iomedae is prevalent wherever you go, the Inheritor apparently having quite the influence here.

The Pathfinder Lodge in Nerosyan, known as the Starrise Spire, proves easy enough to locate... You had heard that the Society headquarters was keeping a low profile. But once you realize it is the tallest building in the entire city, rising up towards the sky like it is trying to reach the heavens ... and shines with the brightest of lights, even in the dark of night, you quickly conclude that perhaps 'low profile' is not quite the phrase you want anymore.

There are people everywhere inside, bustling about, setting up for a great gathering of some sort. Other Pathfinders mill about, as if waiting for whatever event is about to happen to get underway, some of them gathering in small groups to chat or venture guesses as to the exact nature of why you were all called here.

The prevalent theory seems to confirm what some of you suspected since you started on your way here, that the Society is gearing up for a serious exploration of some newly discovered ancient ruins of some significance in the area... though what those are seem to still be being speculated on amongst the gathering throng.

Just making sure you're actually in the city in time for the Overseer announcement on the 14th, and in the correct location =)
Feel free to bring the conversation to more current events!

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

"A low profile, huh? Remind me not to accept any easy missions."

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

Sangkip makes sure to stay near other obvious adventurers, seeking refuge in audacity rather than subtlety "I'd hate for someone to think I'm some kind of demon monkey and go running for the Paladins"


OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT

“Fellow Pathfinders, I am Jorsal of Lauterbury, Venture-Captain of Nerosyan. I welcome you to the Starrise Spire and bid you to find a seat and speak with the other guests. Once everyone is comfortably seated, I will get to the point of this great gathering.”

Images & slides

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara takes her place in the front row, sitting primly.

She nudges the person next to her.

Isn't this exciting?


The surly-looking Chelaxian man sitting beside Kara glances at her, with a frown.

"Please. Lauterbury just likes to hear himself talk." He grumbles, clearly not nearly as enthusiastic about events as the Taldan woman.

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 5| AC 19 (21) T 13 FF 16 (18) | HP 27/38 | F +6 (7) R +4 (5) W +8 (9) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 5/5 Fervor 3/5 Sacred Weapon 4/5| Lvl 2: 3/3; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 4/at will

Huni takes a seat up front. "I looks like its time to find out why we are here."

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 5 | HP 38/38 | AC 22, T 17, FF 16 | F +3, R +11, W +4 | Init +6 | Perc +10 | Vanish 2/2

"He's gotta be more than just talk. Would a guy who was all flash and show build a gleaming tower that dwarfs the rest of the city just to host some dinner parties?"


"You think he built the Spire?" The Chelaxian man snorts derisively. "Word is he used that golden tongue of his for more than just talking to get Galfrey to let him set up shop here."

He glances at the mass of assembled Pathfinders, frowning again. "And he was supposed to keep things low key... now look at us."

Knowledge (local or nobility) for a bit of a snapshot on the current state of Pathfinder politics in the city

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

"I didn't realise there'd be so many people.I think I'm getting a headache"

Floria takes a seat near the others and rubs her temples while listening in.

Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon stays to the side of the interior of the building, his back to one of the walls. He observes the dearth of Pathfinders, that pass by him. He sees some, greet each other with familiarity and others too eagerly, introducing themselves to strangers. Eamon himself, remains indifferent to the chaos before him...focusing solely on the makeshift stage at the center of the room.

Once Venture-Captain Lauterbury indicates everyone should take a seat, Eamon finds a seat near the back, next to an isle. He politely stands and lets others squeeze by him, down the row of chairs, preferring not to give up easy access in and out of his row. When it appears no one else will take a seat in his row, Eamon settles down in his chair, awaiting the next speaker.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Oh, I don't know. Let's give him a chance. I'm interested to hear exactly why they've chosen such an ostentatious way of being subtle.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 22/14/19 | F+8 R+9 W+3 | Init +5 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 9/9 | Active Conditions: Shield

Alessio falls in line and sits with the group. He looks around to see that others are being seated in an orderly fashion, as instructed. He was a military man, after all. He produces a simple brush and combs out his mustache.


Kara and Floria:
As far as you know, the Pathfinders maintain a strong working relationship with the Cursaders of Mendev here in the city, and abroad. An extensive treaty exists between the entire nation of Mendev, under Queen Galfrey, and the Society, giving the Society the right to operate in the region, but in return requiring the Pathfinders to help defend Mendev and their allies, as well as participating in the crusades themselves.

Kara:
You have learned a fair bit about the Pathfinder's dealings in Nerosyan. and suspect some of the confusion might be due to the fact that the Society has not one, but two venture-captains in the city, the more public face of Jorsal of Lauterbury, and a second man, a non-nonsense dwarf by the name of Thurl.

The majority of those operations are based out of the Starrise Spire where you are now, lead quite publicly by Jorsal of Lauterbury, the mwangi man who just spoke at the front of the room. Jorsal is purportedly a very pious man and a skilled combatant who is believed to have made no fewer than fifty forays into the Worldwound itself, in search of artifacts for the Society, and to combat the demonic presence therein.

Unlike Jorsal, the second venture-captain, Thurl, operates a second lodge, ostensibly in secret, under the guise of a mercenary company. Not surprisingly, Thurl's operations likely handle missions with perhaps somewhat less noble motivations than does his colleague.

It is possible people are confusing the presence of both.

The man beside Kara just snorts. "I hate this place." He mutters.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

Leaning over from the row behind Kara and her interlocutor Floria interjects with an introduction, awkwardly offering her hand over the chair as she does so.

"Floria Avernathus, how do you do. I had heard that the society enjoyed a strong relationship with Queen Galfrey's government; and thought Lauterbury at least partially responsible for that. Are you suggesting some further agenda? I do hope we haven't come here just to act as pawns in some game of politics."

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

As quickly and quietly as she can, Kara relays what she remembers about the two competing Venture-Captains in Nerosyan, and fills them in more completely as soon as possible.

Read the second spoiler.

Oh, how very rude of me! I didn't even see you were back there, Floria. Yes, I am Kara Saint-Germaine and this is Floria. And you are...?

Kara gives Floria a sidelong glance that says, "Aren't we all pawns in some game of politics?".


The man eyes Floria with a frown for a moment, before taking the proffered hand.

"Velthur." He replies, "Velthur Abranci."

"We work for the Society." He adds. "Political pawns is pretty much the standard, is it not?"

"Though I suppose it's less obvious in Mendev then elsewhere." He concedes, a moment later. "Nothing like having a permanent rift to the Abyss right next door to overshadow political maneuvering."

"But power's power. Been trying to get out of this godawful posting for years... 'til I got screwed." He scowls at Jorsal up front, clear dislike on his face. "And once those at the top get a taste of it, it all goes to their heads eventually."

"And don't get me started on Thurl." He adds, at Kara's comments. "That tattooed bastard is even worse."

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Nice ninja-editing, GM.

Kara finds the man fascinating and turns to him.

Why, how awful for you! In what way were you... despite her considerable combat experience and lifelong experience with less-than-silver-tongued Taldan nobles, she finds herself blushing ...in what way were you impeded, good sir Abranci?

And I confess I know little of Venture-Captain Thurl's notoriety. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us?


Heh. Ya, yours showed up mid edit. So I adjusted slightly.

Velthur just waves his hand dismissively. "Just a simple misunderstanding." He says. "Nothing major, right? But 'cause Thurl's an ass, and Jorsal can't take a joke, I'm stuck in this hell-hole."

He pauses for a moment, then adds unhappily, "Probably 'til it becomes an actual hell hole, at the rate its expanding... wards be damned."

Knowledge (history) or possibly a Knowledge (religion or planes) might give you some context to what he's talking about

"You guys hear anything about what they're planning?" He continues, switching gears slightly and taking on a more conspiratorial tone. "Someone said something about some old dwarf ruins. Though if they're out in the Wound... seems a bit sketchy. That place ain't for the faint of heart. Been lots of manpower and supplies coming in, so its big, whatever it is."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 22/14/19 | F+8 R+9 W+3 | Init +5 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 9/9 | Active Conditions: Shield

Alessio Imeroni, sir. What manner of supplies? Siege weapons? Alessio leans in a touch.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Knowledge History: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Do you think Thurl has a personal or family interest in this?

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 5 | HP 31/35 | AC 16 / 11 T / 15FF | CMD +0 CMD 11 | F +5, R +4, W +5 | Init +8 | Perc +4 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st: 5/8, 2nd: 3/6; Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 1/4; Dark Half 3/7 Reach Rod 0/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul

Knowledge(planes): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

"Has it grown so much? Could we really be in danger, even at this distance?"


Floria:
You've not had a chance to learn much about the Worldwound, other than to know it is indeed infested with demons, foul and destructive outsiders that apparently continually crawl forth from a permanent rift that exists in the middle of the region.

The entire area, and in fact the land itself have been corrupted by this portal, such that sometimes traveling into the Worldwound is said to be like venturing into the Abyss itself.

Velther gives Floria an indecipherable look. "At this distance? How far do you think you are?"

He shakes his head, clearly not impressed. "You're knockin' on the Wordlwound's door here. We're already all in the mix. You can spit from the walls and hit a demon. Everything west of the Sellen is tainted. Hell, you can't even drink from the river anymore. They gotta pull water from the Egelsee, upriver, just to avoid the contamination."

"The wardstones keep it contained, mostly... but it's not going away, or receding. " He waves vaguely to the west. "And those wards... they take constant upkeep, which is fine along the Mendev border, no end of holier than thou types there, but on the western side? Nothing but godless barbarians out that way. Those are much more dangerous to get to." He shakes his head slightly. "But they only keep the demons from comin' across in force. They still get through."

"It's only a matter of time, I figure. Why I've been trying to get transferred out for years! Just need to find some leverage."

Kara:
You know enough about the Worldwound to know it is an unnatural blight, believed to be caused by an open rift to the Abyss that opened shortly after the death of the god Aroden, almost a century earlier.

At one time, it purportedly grew to encompass the lands all the way to Lake Encarthion, including most of Ustalav, Numeria, and the River Kingdoms... before it was beat back by the many Mendevian Crusades that followed. It now encompasses everything from the West Sellen River on the western border of Mendev, to the Sarkora River along the eastern border of the Realm of the Mammoth Lords.

You do not know much beyond that.

This is the first you've heard of these Wardstones.


__________

He glances at Alessio, his interest peaked. "Siege weapons? Why would they be sending those? It is supposed to be an excursion to ancient ruins, in the Wound, right? Cold iron weapons, food, medicines, that sort of thing. What have you heard? Did you travel with some of these supplies that hinted otherwise? Wouldn't surprise me if Jorsal was up to something else."

He doesn't seem to have thought anything unusual was arriving with the supplies, but seems eager to learn if that is not the case!

"You think Thurl has something to do with all this?" He adds, at Kara's question, giving the half-elven woman an equally interested look. "Son of a b#~!# usually keeps a low profile when he's not screwing me over. This ain't that...but if you've heard something..."

Again, he seems eager to learn what you might know, not realizing it is little to nothing. You get the impression that he lives for juicy gossip.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/4 (HP 30/30 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 Mage Armor 16/12/14 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+3 R:+3 W:+5 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +13 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +2
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 15/15 | AC:20 T:15 FF:17 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara shares her knowledge of the Worldwound with her companions. "Kara" spoiler

Alas, I have heard only that Thurl is trying to keep a lower profile than Jorsal.

She glances at the surroundings.

Not that it would difficult.

All right, Kara, you know the routine with these types. "Give-a-little, get-a-little".

I'm sure you've heard that

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

the Captain of the Guards is facing scrutiny? They say she's been skimming off the top of the armory budget. Of course she denies it but there are persistent rumors, don't you know?

@GM, feel free to retconn some other gossip if that doesn't fit with reality.

Now bring it back to Thurl...

Now, I don't believe the scurrilous scuttlebutt that Thurl is involved. But what do you think his game is here?

Grand Lodge

Male Human Alchemist (chirurgeon, wasteland blightbreaker) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 22/14/19 | F+8 R+9 W+3 | Init +5 | Perc +7 | Bombs: 9/9 | Active Conditions: Shield

In my experience any amassing of combat-ready individuals of this volume was for one purpose only: war. I hope for no bloodshed of the innocent but I always prepare for it. Alessio does a reflexive check of his extracts and potions. One can never be too prepared.

Prof Soldier: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Any sense of whether we are being marshaled as a major combat force or any other insight I'd get from being in the military?

1 to 50 of 1,274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.