EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons

Game Master Evil Minion

A series of 6 PFS scenarios... all set on the edges, and often inside, of the demon-infested Worldwound!

─► Maps and stuff ◄─


451 to 500 of 2,729 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

The trip is somewhat disconcerting, the streets mostly deserted, as everyone is either caught up in the fighting, or hunkered down inside trying to weather the demonic storm.

You occasionally pass other groups or individuals rushing off in one direction or another, all of them looking like they've already seen a great deal of action, and are now off to find more. None of them pay you much heed, beyond a quick glance, before heading wherever they are going.

Following Kreighton's directions, you are able to find the Command Bunker without too much trouble, a large stone building that you think is usually used as a barracks. It is not far from the inner gate to the Egelsee district.

As you approach, you see an anxious young man, pacing back and forth outside its main doors, nervously chewing on his fingernails. He fits the description you got of Jorsal's assistant, though you did not get a name.

He looks up at you as you approach and says, "Sorry, you can't go inside."

When you mention who you are, and why you're here, his demeanor changes slightly, almost hopeful.

"Pathfinders? Thank the gods!" He exclaims. "The Venture-Captain left for the main gate about twenty minutes ago. I'm Finch, his assistant, he left me to finish coordinating with the Commanders, but ... well things got complicated. I sure could use your help. We have a bit of a ... uh... situation. Inside. If you can spare the time."

He looks at you hopefully.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

I don't suppose your "situation" is an excess of Taldan Spice Tea with sandwichlets? That would be a pleasant surprise.

Anyhoo, Adventure! What's going on? How can we help? Make it quick -- we have important news for the Venture-Captain.

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Before moving on Emaon uses his own scroll of cure lt wounds on himself. cl wounds scroll: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 and approaches Huni saying, Greetings, brother-in-arms I see that you are enlightened a dedicated servant of the Master of Masters. I myself am only a simple adept of the The Lady of Valor. Eamon lowers his eyes in deference to the higher ranking priest despite the man being an infidel.

Iori and the Inheritor have much in common. Not the least of which is to abolish this chaos that stands before us this day. Eamon kicks a pebble on the cobblestone street trying to work up the courage of what he's about to ask. Well, I suppose I ought naught to tarry in my request. The Holy Shield Maiden has given me limited powers tis true. However, the battle before us seems to offer little mercy for our wounds already sustained. The Inheritor has gifted me a small number of spells to heal myself or others tis true. But, I've already used most of them and I fear we may yet have need of these holy gifts of the Inheritor in the battles to come. Eamon draws a long breathe and finally gets to the point. Seeing as how you're offering Iori's sacred healing freely, could a servant of the Shield Maiden also beseech you to heal the rest of his wounds? Huni's wand CL: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

(sorry had to have a long post to justify why a proud and arrogant priest of Iomedae, would accept or seek healing from another faith.) Eamon is now at 22 of 23hp...Huni thank you for the charge off your wand!

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Floria is clearly relieved to be away from the spire, and although she wouldn't say so out loud, relieved to have a problem to solve that she assumes is more persuasion and less getting covered in boiling blood.

"We'd be happy to help Finch, lead the way"

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"Kreighton's just being snooty because he's never tried running around with all his fur stuck together..."

"Out with it, buddy! What's the situation?!"

Sangkip's also got a mostly full wand if other people are running low (though it'd certainly be worth picking up a new one afterwards with the prestige from this mission!)


Finch just lets out a long sigh, his worried frown deepening.

"Half the senior Commanders are inside, coordinating the defenses." He explains finally. "Was why the Venture-Captain stopped by earlier, to make sure the Society assets were being used where they would be most helpful."

"Jorsal had to leave for the Gates, but I was to remain here to represent the Pathfinder forces." He shakes his head slightly. "But, not long after he left, a runner showed up with news of a group of demon sympathizers captured in the Woundward district."

"They were able to interrogate them, and learned that they were waiting on specific orders from here. From this bunker." He looks up, making sure the implications of that bit of news is sinking in. "The runner was suggesting someone inside the bunker, one of the senior Commanders, was working with the demons! Not just working, but possessed by one. A shadow demon!"

Knowledge (planes), DC 17:
Shadow demons are one of the more insidious denizens of the abyss. Made up more of darkness than anything physical, they are completely incorporeal, and almost impossible to see coming. A shadow demon can indeed take over mortal bodies, to further its nefarious agendas... or just to act out its violent tendencies or to have their victims torture and kill their own loved ones for its own amusement.

"That's when everything went to hell. Salantris started accusing Gudrun, who stopped sharpening his axes long enough to shout accusations back. Then Dermont tried to get everyone calmed down, which just riled everyone up more..." Finch just raises his hands and shakes his head. "It just got worse from there."

"But you guys, you're just passing by, and have never been here before. I've been trying to think of a way to get some impartial observers to help sort this out." He stops, then amends his statement. "Alright, perhaps not impartial, but at least not likely to be the problem. Someone who can try to figure out which of them might be someone they're not. You'll be perfect!"

"Just need to get the egos inside to agree to it." He adds.

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Knowledge Planes DC17: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Ugh. One of the nastier denizens of the Abyss.

Kara quickly recounts what she knows about them. Read the spoiler.

Can anyone Detect Evil?

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"If you give me a holy weapon and a captive audience I can."


Finch frowns. "Absolutely not." He says. "You have to understand, this is a very tense situation, with a lot of important leaders... you can't go around threatening, or worse, actually stabbing people. Demon or not, that will get you all booted from the room."

"And if we could detect the demon with magic, we'd have already ferreted it out." He adds, sadly. "But apparently once it's possessed someone, its very hard to detect. You just get the person its invaded. I'm not entirely sure how such things work."

"Of course, the building itself is not helping." He glances back and shrugs again. "Apparently its covered in all sorts of protective spells to prevent spying. Which normally is a good thing, but now is preventing other forms of divining who is possessed from working."

"No, you're going to have to talk to them, to figure this one out." He continues to eye Sangkip meaningfully. "I don't think the demon would know what their victim knows. Not unless they tell it. Hopefully you can catch it up that way."

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon scoffs a bit at Finch, Help of course we can help boy! The Silver Crusaders have specialized in rooting out this type of evil from our ranks for untold years now! This vile creature..*sniff* if he does exist!? Eamon raises an eyebrow in doubt. Can surely not hide from the faithful servants of law. Eamon gives a polite nod to Huni upon uttering the last statement.

Now Flich is it? Eamon pauses only for a second before pushing through with his thought. Please introduce us to these fine men and don't be bereft in your duties of introducing us by name a title. I am Eamon Valda of house Valda in Taldor. Pathfinder agent and priest of Iomedae. My companions shall impart their titles as they wish to be address. *sniff* Eamon grabs an unsoiled handkerchief from his ruffled sleeve and presses it to his mouth. Please hurry so we can solve this trifle. It's been a most trying day and we've demons yet to slay...yes yes get all their names and titles. We'll need proper introductions to be seen as equals. Eamon waves at the boy dismissively while offering a prayer to Iomedae before entering the building. Praying for guidance on my first skill check.

GM it should be noted I possess the following ability

Honor bound:
Honor Bound (Su): With a touch, you can remind a creature of its duties and responsibilities, granting it a new saving throw against each enchantment (charm) or enchantment (compulsion) effect that currently affects it. If the saving throw is successful, the enchantment effect is ended. This power only affects effects that allow a save. If you fail a save against such an effect, you can use this ability as an immediate action to grant yourself an additional save. Once the target (either you or a touched creature) has made one additional save per effect, this ability has no further effect on that particular enchantment effect. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Theoretically anyone I shake hands with I could impart a new save on vs possession? please let me know if this is possible. Also if a diplomacy roll is required..I intend to cross off a boon on one of my chronicles sheets. The Suit of Crowns ability will allow me to add +2 to any diplomacy check when speaking to person in authority. Likewise if I'm called upon to make a sense motive check, I'm likely to use my Silver Crusade faction boon which will allow me to add 1d4 to a sense motive roll.


Possession, if that's what it is, is not an enchantment, so the ability will not help. If its something else, then it might.


"Ah.. you'll fit right in." Finch retorts, though the look he gives Eamon says something more in the line of 'Gods, not another one'. He does manage to suppress his desire to roll his eyes though, disguising the effort by turning towards the main doors, and leading you inside.

As the doors open and you enter, you are immediately accosted by the sounds of people yelling, angrily. A short hall leads to a large room, with a number of tables pushed together to form a larger surface, and many maps and reports laid out... their purpose momentarily forgotten as the four figures around the tables seem to be more concerned trying to talk over one another.

"See what I mean." Finch mutters, wincing slightly.

"The tall pompous-looking elf on the end there, that's Salantris." Finch says, keeping his voice low. "He's organized the local magical academies and heads up the arcane resources they provide. Claims there's no way he could be possessed, as his own superior powers would have overwhelmed such an invader by now."

"The dwarf, that looks like she wants to take her axe to him. That's Gudrun Mazrarad." He nods towards a dour-looking dwarf standing not far from the elf, an axe held prominently in her hand, and face red with anger. "She coordinates the local militia and the town guard. She doesn't usually say much at these meetings... but Salantris appears to have really gotten under her to open up... now we just need to keep her from opening him up."

"The big guy there, in the plate armor, that's Dermont Tabecland." He continues, indicating a tall imposing man who's armor sports various icons of devotion to Iomedae. "No one in the room wants to get back out there and destroy these demons as much as him, but demands we exorcise the creature in here first, before anyone be allowed to leave. The fact no one knows who it might be, makes that a very untenable stance at the moment."

"The young woman there, she's part of the council as well, even though she looks like she could be my younger sister." He shakes his head slightly as he indicates a girl who could not be older than eighteen. "Her names Aline. Aline Valerys. She's a cleric of the Dawnflower, and usually keeps to herself... though in a room full of personalities, that's probably more in self defense, at her age. She's all about helping the downtrodden and defenseless citizens of Nerosyan, and has been advocating we continue our original defense plans, despite there being a possible demon in our midst."

"Those are the ones of concern. We could easily remove and replace everyone else, if it came to it. But need to figure out if one of those four has been compromised." He sighs slightly before adding. "Oh, and that nervous kid over there, trying to hide in the corner, that's the runner that started all this mess with the news from the interrogation. I think his name was Jephes? Jepheth? Something like that. Not sure anyone bothered to ask."

"Now we just need to get them to agree to talk to you lot, in hopes of sorting this out. If we can figure that out, the Crusaders can apprehend them, and sequester them away while others more knowledge about such things can sort them out." He clearly is not looking forward to that part.


OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT
Despite the Demons attempting to take control once again and arriving in greater numbers, the host of Pathfinders is battering them back as quickly as they arrive. The Pathfinders are delivering victories at an astonishing rate, particularly in the Confluence and Outer districts!

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"Okay, so if we don't have a way to magic out the answers, and the demon won't know what it should, we need to questions them. Individually would be best. As the resident monkey-who-looks-like-a-demon, maybe someone else should propose that to the crusaders though."

"I bet it's not the dwarf, but no reason not to interrogate her too at some point."

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

"Oh what a mess. If we start with this runner we can avoid having to interrupt this" she waves in the general direction of the commanders "for a little while at least. It may be that this is just an attempt to sow discord, perhaps if the runner was sent by Thurl or an associate we can clear it up right now.""

She approaches the runner in the corner.

"Jeppeth is it? We're from the Pathfinder Society and are trying to get to the bottom of this mess. Would you mind stepping away from this "discussion" and answering a few questions for us? It could be very important."

Assuming that he acquiesces, she'll lead him a little bit away so we can at least hear each other speak, where hopefully she and the party can question him.

"You've done a great service by bringing us this information, the damage that a compromised commander could do is incalculable. Could you tell us who sent you here, and the exact words of the message please? Did they give you any information about how the prisoners were expecting to receive their orders? Do you know the names of the prisoners, and of the people doing the interrogation? Finally have you met any of these commanders before, and if so are any of them acting out of character?"

If relevant:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Good idea, Floria!

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni's thoughts are along the same lines as Floria's. He gives her a boost to her diplomatic ability (cast Enhance Diplomacy on Floria for +2 competence bonus).
"Indeed! Your message may just have saved the day."
Diplomacy Aid Other: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


The boy looks a little surprised when you single him out, and follows nervously as you lead him off to the side.

Luckily, he warms up quickly to Floria's questions, and eagerly answers her her.

"Yes, ma'am." He replies, when she asks him his name, looking a little excited that she knows who he is.

"You really think its gonna help?" He says, eyes wide. "Was Crusader Vosh that sent me, but I was just delivering the message. Only just got into the guard. Enlisted soon as I was old enough! Was my job to bring it."

"I wasn't there when they captured those traitorous bastards though, no ma'am. Wasn't part of any of that. Didn't know what the message said. Wasn't my place to read confidential correspondence. Wouldn't do that. Never!" His voice gets all earnest as he makes sure you know that.

"But the Commanders here certainly didn't like what they read. All the talk about demons and someone here being possessed. Then everyone started yelling at everyone else." He shakes his head at the drama of it all. "It must have been really important."

"Never met any of the Commanders before. I'm too much a greenhorn to be hobnobbing with those types." He clearly is hoping to be such a person some day.

"But my friend Needles' older brother's girl work for the city guards, running a beat on Revelation. She sometimes meets the dwarf lady, I think. Does that count?" He adds quickly.

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon purses his lips looking at the runner with irritation. After some pointless dialog with the chap his colleagues finally say something to the point. OK boy enough of the pointless chatter, your friend Needles' older brother's girl...you say she sometimes meets with Gudrun Mazrarad. Did you ever get a chance to talk to this girl? I mean did she ever tell you anything about the Dwarfs habits? Or something particular about Gudrun Mazrarad? What exactly does running a beat on Revelation mean? Eamon taps his foot impatiently waiting for a reply.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

"So Finch, can you send a runner to confirm Jeppeth's story with Crusader Vosh? We'll keep interrogating everyone else."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 Sending a fake message about a demon's infiltration is a pretty funny idea to make everyone second guess themselves, but no reason to deliver it yourself unless you want to stick around and watch the chaos...


Jeppeth seems a little taken aback when Eamon jumps in with a far more aggressive tone than Floria, a look of confusion and worry on his face.

"Talk to Chesik's girlfriend? No sir, she's way out of my league, for sure! I think Little Pete tried to put the moves on her once, and she worked him over right proper. Still walks a little funny." He shakes head at the mere thought. "I just meant that she's been in it a year or two now, and one of those who answers to the Commander there, so they've met for sure. I don't know the particulars."

He pauses for a moment, then adds quickly, "And wouldn't tell you if I did, no sir!"

When asked bout the beat on Revelation, he just looks more confused. "Revelation... you know, the main road, that runs from the Cathedral to the Woundward Gate? Everyone knows that road, don't they? It's one of the main guard patrol routes."

As the young man gets grilled, Sangkip asks Finch about the missive that started it all, but the Pathfinder only shrugs. "The message apparently came with all the proper ciphers. As legit as they can get, so I'm told. They wouldn't let me read it either." He sighs slightly. "Besides, no way to know where Vosh is now, not today anyway. Getting any sort of confirmation would likely take far too long. We have to take the note at face value for now. No other choice really."

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Well, no choice except the runner being the demon having a laugh...

"Good point. Let's start with Gudrun."

***

"So. We want to get this finished with, without wasting any more time than we have to, right? So how about you tell us about the other commanders, give us some information that might help us straighten this out. I mean, who do you think the demon might be?"

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18 To suss out if she really knows enough about her compatriots
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


jumping the gun a bit!

GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (18, 2, 20) = 40

The dwarf turns from where she is arguing with the elven Commander, and frowns.

"Who the hell are you?" She growls, ignoring what the vanaran asked as she looks over at Finch. "What's this Finch? All we need are more rats in this nest!"

The other three Commanders all get distracted from whatever grievance they were airing at each other, and all that animosity is suddenly directed at you.

"Yes, what is the meaning of this?" Salantris agrees, already looking at you all with haughty disdain.

Finch hastily intercedes, stepping in front of Sangkip with a slight frown at the vanaran.

"Woah, remember, we discussed this possibility? A few non-partial folks to try to suss who might be compromised. If anyone even is."

"Feh." Salantris replies with a snort. "We already know its not me. Be easier just to lock up the rest of them, til its over."

This of course, riles up all of the others, Gudrun even pulling her axe out, and things start to break down into more yelling matches.

"Commanders please!" Finch yells, throwing himself into the middle of it. "We talked about this. We need someone who is not part of the command staff, and has no part in the chain, or knows any of you. These fine folks are all members of the Society, not some random rabble from the streets." He pauses for a moment with a sidelong glance at Sangkip's fur. "Well, not complete rabble."

"The current situation is untenable, so this is the best we've got."

The four Commanders grumble, especially Salantris. The young woman, the Sarenrite priestess Aline, ends up the calming voice. "Finch is right. We need to resolve this, every minute we squabble in here afraid of making a decision because of who might hear of it, the more innocent civilians are dying outside."

"Well said." Dermont Tabecland replies, standing up to his full height. Decked out in the shiny plate mail, he makes for an imposing sight. "The Lady of Valor will show us the way to sort this out, one way or the other, before any of us go anywhere. So lets just do this."

Salantris snorts derisively. "Fine. But we do it one at a time. I shall go first, as its clearly not me, and I can offer all sorts of useful insight on who the guilty part is."

This gets him a number of rude rejoinders from Gudrun, and a frown from Dermont. But, in the end, they agree... though some of them do not look pleased about it.

Alright, you can talk to them in any order... though the elf has volunteered to go first.

You've got the main gist of it, that being Sense Motive rolls, but you can get a modifier on that, if you can use information and skills that might catch someone in an inconsistency... what those skills might be you will have to figure out from what you know... which isn't much. =)

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Firstly in case there's any extra knowledge that might come in handy about shadow demons
Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33

"Commander Salantris. We're here to help, and if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions we can find the culprit and see this demon destroyed."

Perhaps she can use insights into the arcane to help understand Salantris
Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

"We believe that while powerful, shadow demons are quite stupid and thus would find it very difficult to lean complex topics such as the mellifluous elven language."

Elven:
"While I myself am merely a beginner, if you could say a few words in Elven it would go a long way to proving that your famously keen mind is still in control"

"In addition while I know that your powers are great, I'm sure you know that even the most powerful practitioner can fall to the lowliest spell if their guard is down, and the possession of a shadow demon is no apprentice's cantrip, isn't that true? Regardless you mentioned having insights into who might be guilty? Could you share any memories you have of the others which the demon might not be privy to?"

watching him the whole time
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

She's much better at this than shooting crossbows!

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

"Actually, we'll start with Lady Aline." Huni takes her to the side and starts asking her questions about her faith. He hopes that, if she is the shadow demon, she won't be able to answer or, if she's not, her power can be brought to bear when they do figure out who it is.

Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Sense Motive 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (9, 14, 8) = 31

Floria sits down with Salantris, and starts to talk about magical theory and arcane esoterica. The man raises one eyebrow at the direction of the conversation, but happily obliges, in elven, though is quick to correct every time she pronounces anything wrong.

Still, he appears to know his stuff, though Floria gets the impression he is obliging her more to show that he knows far more than she does, than because he wants to have the conversation with her. She can find no inconsistencies in the knowledge, though a great deal of ego.

As far as she knows, shadow demons are not this well-versed in the arcane arts, most of their knowledge focused on deception, and blending in among common folk. By the time she is done talking to Commander Salantris, she would be surprised to learn a demon was possessing him.


GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (20, 16, 2) = 38

Huni forgoes a group effort, deciding to tackle the interrogation of the young priestess of Sarenrae on his own.

Aline starts off very subdued, clearly not used to being the focus of questions in a room full of people happy to talk. But eventually she joins in, talking about Sarenrae, and how she just wants to return to the streets of Nerosyan, to help the poor citizens she believes are being forgotten in the midst of the demonic attack.

Huni's religious knowledge is more focused on Irori, than Sarenrae, but he does know many of her tenets, and after a brief discussion, can not see any inconsistencies in her words on the subject.

By the time he's done, he has found out nothing that would convince him either way.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangkip is rarely surprised by expecting the worst of people, but defaulting to that is hardly helpful in figuring out which single person not to trust...
Sense Motive @Aline: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara takes Gudrun Mazrarad aside for a discussion of local politics, where to find the best food, what neighborhoods to avoid in the dark, etc.

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

In the discussion, she tries throwing him off with a question she knows is wrong.

It is a shame that the Belching Beaver burned down last week, isn't it? What do you think caused it? And where will the local Dwarf population go for sweet tarts now?

The Belching Beaver did not burn down, and in fact is open for breakfast today, Kara noticed on her way.

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

Eamon wanders over to Huni talking with Aline, and listens to the conversation. After a moment he interjects, The Dawnflower and Shieldmaiden are often allies when embroiled in battles, such as we find ourselves now. Tell me could you espouse one of your faith's tenets that supports this position? Please, don't interpret this as a test of faith. Rather, a demonstration of co-operation between our two faiths. k religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 (note: Eamon has a +2 boon when using diplomacy with the clergy of Sarenrae) diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 2 = 14

When Aline is through espousing, about a relatively obscure tenet (that Eamon knows little of himself) ..Eamon then takes stock in her body language, manor of speaking, and what she said to draw a conclusion on the priestess. sense motive: 1d20 + 6 + 1d4 ⇒ (13) + 6 + (1) = 20 (using my 1/time silver crusade faction pin bonus for the sense motive roll)

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

Finishing up with Salantris, Floria is all but convinced he is not possessed. She sees that her friends are leading the interrogations of the other commanders and listens intently.

To understand Huni, Eamon and Aline's discussions of the tenets of Sarenrae's faith
Knowledge(religion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Observing Aline
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

If it's possible to also observe Kara's discussion she will do that too, mostly watching and listening intently
To pick up on Kara's ruse
Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangkip too listens in on Gudrun's explanations, and also asks her to explain if she thinks any of the other councilors are acting suspiciously. Who she thinks is acting out of character.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni does not think that Salantris is possessed. He is too flamboyant and Huni thinks that the shadow demon would want to be more low key. Aline has passed his, admittedly, simple test. That cuts the suspects in half.

Huni has no clue on the subject matter, but he pays attention to Gudrun's body language.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (16, 18, 15) = 49

Kara starts the intergoation of Commander Mazrarad, the dwarf just kind of glaring at her as she sits down, axe in hand.

She doesn't appear the least bit interested when the young wizard starts talking about politics, just giving her an aggrieved look. But as Kara shifts more to talking about the city itself, the dwarven woman opens up a bit, though mostly to assure here that the streets are Nerosyan are always safe... well, until the demons get in.

Kara's attempt to trick her by talking of a local eating establishment does not catch her up, Gudrun just looking at her funny for a moment, then pointing out the place was fine the day before.

It is Sangkip, listening in behind Kara, that picks out the details that are hard to fake. Gudrun clearly knows her way around the city, the little dark corners that a typical visitor would not. Certainly a great deal more than a demon invader would even think to care about, much less know.

Though when Sankgip asks if any of the others are acting out of character, she only scoffs. "If it were that easy, we wouldn't be here. I can only hope its that ass Salantris... but I doubt even a demon would have that pompous fool."

At the end of the interview, though Kara is not sure, Sangkip is pretty certain, that the dwarf Watch Commander is who she says she is.


Still one person you've not talked to. =)

Oh, and Eamon, can you give me a Knowledge:local roll please

Scarab Sages

Human Warpriest 6| AC 21/23 T 13 FF 18/20 | HP 46/46 | F +7 (8) R +5 (6) W +9 (10) | Init +2 | Perc +3| Blessings 6/6 Fervor 6/6 Sacred Weapon 6/6 Channel Energy 3/3| Lvl 2: 4/4; Lvl 1: 5/5 Orizon: 5/at will

Huni's already eliminated the rest of them as suspects. He's ready to just murk this last guy.

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

"Dermont, it's an honour to meet you. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us. Your diligence in wanting to see this demon dealt with before allowing anyone to leave does you credit. If you don't mind answering a few questions I believe we're close to sorting this mess out."

"Where are you from Dermont, you must miss it there."

She listens to his response (assuming he makes one) and probes his knowledge of the area

Knowledge(geography): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Then subtly tests it much as Kara did, making references to nearby places and comments about distances and terrain she knows to be false in order to catch him out, watching him all the while.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Well she tries to anyway

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Kara joins the conversation with Dermont.

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 or Geography, it's the same bonus

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (10, 11, 7) = 28

The last of the Commanders you talk to, Dermont, seems eager to get the whole situation resolved, insistent that everyone must remain ever vigilant in rooting out the forces of evil, as is Iomadae's will, not whine about it like Salantris, or ignore it like Aline. Though he does seem a little perturbed that he has not been able to do so himself, thus far. The numerous religious icons to his goddess hanging from his person give weight to his devotion.

Floria will learn quite quickly that he is from 'the Glorious Nation of Taldor'... but left his home to come here, when the call of the Inheritor sent him to fight back the demonic hoards!

Nothing he says raises any warning signs, with Floria, or Kara listening in.

He seems entirely genuine.


Of course, now you've talked to all four, and do not seem to be any closer to sorting out which of them has been possessed!

Whichever verbal tactics you used might have been the wrong ones to spot any inconsistencies.

Or it could be that the demon is just too good a liar.

Or maybe none of them are possessed at all!

Silver Crusade

male|spd.30:
special:
channel 6/6day, honor bound 5/5day,Panache 3/3,seize intit 5/5
+2 INT| +2 Per| AC:18, Tch:13: FF: 15| H.P. 26/26| Fort:+5,Ref:+5.Wil:+4:
Attacks:
+1 longsword+6(1d8+2)/cold iron rapier +4(1d6+1)/lt crossbow +4(1d8)
Cleric 1/Fighter 1(Lore Warden)/Swashbuckler 1Current conditions:none

First knowledge local roll is per GM request. The second will be in regards to checking Dermont's knowledge of Taldor ( Eamon's birthplace and homeland perhaps a bit of a bonus?) Note; before asking each question or talking, Eamon says a short prayer to Iomedae seeking Guidance
GM requested K local: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 = 6
k local talking with Dermont: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 1 = 15

Eamon saunters over to Dermont. Captain, We two have much in common! I too and from our beautiful homeland of Taldor. How I miss the towering Blackwoods of the Tandak Forest. Tell me Captain what do you miss most of our homeland? Eamon slyly misrepresents the famous forest the Blackwood Trees are from. (Blackwoods are known for being present in the Verduran Forest, Tandak is a plain near Taldor) bluff: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 1 = 23

If the knowledge of Taldor bears no fruit, Eamons sets about conversing with the Dermont about their shared Goddess Iomedae. k religion: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 1 = 25 Eamon then takes stock of what he's learned and ponders whether or not he thinks Dermont is possessed. sense motive: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 1 = 21


In Dermont Tabecland, Eamon finds a kindred spirit of sorts. Both of them from the same country, both of them following the call of the Inheritor to fight the demonic threat of the Worldwound. His attempt to confuse the man with talk of forests and plains does not result in the confusion he had hoped for. Nor does his conversation on the man's faith, as Dermont proves to be well versed in the tenets and beliefs of Iomedae.

Eamon is thoroughly convinced this man could not be under the control of any sort of demonic influence.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangkip thinks for a moment, then casually slips a dagger out and flings it at Aline.

Dagger: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Cold Iron Piercing: 1d3 - 1 + 2d8 ⇒ (2) - 1 + (7, 6) = 14

Grand Lodge

Female Taldan Half-elf Wizard/5 (HP 37/37 | AC:12 T:12 FF:10 MageArmor+Shield 20/12/18 | CMB:+2 CMD:14 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+6 | Init:+8 | Perc:+6 Low-light | Move:30ft) | Ranged Touch +4 (as spell/20x2) Crossbow +5 (d8/19-20x2) | FM 6/6
Skills:
Acro +3 Blu +1 Dip +1 DD +3 EA +2 HA +2 Inti +1 (Arcana) +7 (Dung) +7 (Eng) +7 (Geog) +7 (Hist) +7 (Local) +7 (Nature) +7 (Nobil) +7 (Planes) +7 (Relig) +7 Perc +6 Ride +2 SM +3 SC +14 SoH +3 Stlth +2 Surv +1 Swim +0 UMD +6
Aragostina:
Tiny Female Vermin (Greensting Scorpion) (HP 18/18 | AC:21 T:15 FF:18 | F:+2 R:+5 W:+4 Improved Evasion | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Darkvision 60ft | Move:30ft) | Sting +7 (1d2-4/20x2 + poison DC10

Sangkip! What are you doing?


Hmm... that's a good question. Pondering ramifications.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

We seemed pretty sure it wasn't the other three, and I figured it'd be... direct :-p

Sovereign Court

“Floria Avernathus” | Female NG Medium Human Psychic 6 | HP 17/41 | AC 16 / 13 T / 14FF | CMD +0 CMD 12 | F +6, R +5, W +6 | Init +8 | Perc +5 SM +3 |Speed 30ft | Spells 1st:7/8, 2nd: 7/7; 3rd 4/4 Detect Thoughts SLA 1/1; CI bolts 37; Phrenic Pool 5/5; Dark Half 8/8 Reach Rod 3/3| Active Conditions: Ant Haul, reroll used

In the ensuing chaos, the thought that Floria can't shake is Is Sangkip possessed by the demon?!


GM Screen:
3d20 ⇒ (8, 6, 20) = 34

Without warning, Sangkip suddenly draws a dagger, and hurls at Aline Valerys! It flies through the air, and deflects off of her armor, clattering across the floor with a sound that seems to fill the entire room.

There is a brief moment of surprised silence, then chaos breaks loose!

The young woman immediately draws her weapon, one hand going to the holy symbol of the Dawnflower, as she starts calling "Treachery!"

Sangkip immediately finds most of the armed crusaders in the room descending on him, and he is quickly detained, his weapons taken.

The rest of you find yourselves surrounded as well by armed men... not sure what is going on, but ready to obey the orders of their superiors.... and all around people are yelling.

"What is the meaning of this!" Dermont bellows. A thought echoed by all the others.

"The vanaran, he attacked without warning." One of the Crusaders replies, his observation confirmed by a number of the others now holding Sangkip.

When it becomes clear that the Pathfinder has attacked one of the Commanders, things do not get better. Accusing eyes from all four turn to Finch and the rest of you. Finch desperately tries to get folks to calm down, clearly not sure what is happening either, but from his expression, it is not good.

"Enough," Salantris finally says, interrupting Finch's attempts to explain. "You said these ones could be trusted, and now they are attacking us? They were supposed to help root out treachery, not cause it."

"Perhaps he is the demon!" Gudrun suggests accusingly, her axes in hand... a comment that elicits a thoughtful nod from the elven arcanist... the two of them agreeing on something for the first time since you arrived.

"Oh no." Aline exclaims, "Could it be? But we..." She turns her gaze on Finch. "...no, you let them in here!"

Finch tries to work up an apology to diffuse the situation, but can't seem to find words that could explain. But the Commanders are not listening to him anymore, anyway... all eyes have turned to Sangkip.

Dermont stomps across to where the vanaran is being held, a grim look on his face. "Explain yourself." He growls.

Note, the rest of you will be given the opportunity to talk here. Its all on Sangkip at the moment.

And note, the lack of evidence is *not* evidence.

Dark Archive

Male Vanara Unchained Rogue (Knifemaster, Scout) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 25, T 18, FF 19 | F +5, R +13, W +6 | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Vanish 3/3

Sangkip still feels pretty good about his guess, if increasingly concerned about its consequences, so he lays it all out. Trying not to let them see him sweat.

"Well, here's the deal. According to the big brains, a demon hopping into the driver's seat doesn't get all the carriage's special features. They don't know everything their captive does. Alina's the only one where it seemed like she had gaps. Plus, I'm willing to bet Sarenrae isn't backing her plays, and nothing like a surprising non-fatal wound to point out that the priestess of the goddess of healing isn't all there."


Give me a bluff check please, since that is not true. You had no discrepancies whatsoever, to base that decision on.

451 to 500 of 2,729 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / EM - [PFS] Occasional Demons All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.