GM Euan's Mummy's Mask

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


5,501 to 5,550 of 8,295 << first < prev | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | next > last >>

Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi doesn't see taking additional fire damage effective if she's going to finish cleaning her bow. She squeezes through the hole Florence has made and picks up the golden mask, tucking it under her arm since she's still holding an unstrung bow. (See map.) "We should burn this body. I don't want the pharaoh coming back - even if they are royalty!"

If Nidhi continues to take fire damage: Nidhi continues to move out of the room, and into the hall, where there is no fire. She will either wait for the thorns to be dispelled or move just enough that she is clear of taking additional damage.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The wall of fire is one-sided. So if you're on the north side of the wall, you'll take no damage. The wall burns out of it's own accord in about another minute.


Zilchus hacks again at the mask jerk, wanting to make sure the snake-wristed caster is dead-dead before removing the mask.

4d4 + 36 + 1d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 3, 4) + 36 + (4) = 53 Coup d’Asp

He is terribly bruised and wounded, but takes the moment to peal the mask off the jerk and toss it to Nidhi (when she is done fixing her bow, of course).

”Nidhi, try not to hand over our artifacts to those who ask, won’t you?” Zilchus grumbles, still wound up from the fight. When he calms down, he will channel a few times for the benefit of those who appreciate the Great Crocodile.

5d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 2, 1, 3) = 9 Channel
5d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 6, 1, 3) = 16 Channel
5d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 5, 5, 1) = 22 Channel

Nidhi wrote:
”We should burn this body.”

Zilchus smiles. ”That would be a clever trick. If we’ve learned anything this fight, it’s that this jerk is immune to fire. But maybe those magics will wear off soon and we can give it a go.”

Zilchus will loot all the bodies.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The mask fell off the woman's face in death. It's on the floor next to her. Nidhi is able to put it back on (with Zilchus' help or on her own) without trouble. So warm...

The party searches the cultists first, stripping them of their magical or valuable gear. They have the following
Amulet of Mighty Fists +1 (4,000gp) (x3)
Belt of Giant Strength +2 (4,000gp ea) (x3)
Cloak of Resistance +2 (4,000gp) (x3)
Gilt wooden funerary masks (25gp) and assorted coins (175gp) x3

However, as you’d expect, the big payoff is to be found on the leaders body.
Potion Cure Serious Wounds (750gp)(x2)
Wand of Haste (25 charges) (4,500gp)
Quarterstaff +2 (8,300gp)
Belt of Physical Might (Dex/Con +6) (90,000gp)
Cloak of Resistance +3 (9,000gp)
Ring of Energy Shroud, fire (19,500gp)
Armband of the Golden Serpent* (image) (20,000gp)
Falcon Crown* (image) (42,000gp)
Assorted Jewelry and Gold Funerary Mask (2,500gp)
Diamond Dust (2,000gp)

Armband of the Golden Serpent:
Heavy golden coils form this serpentine armband. It wraps snugly around the upper arm of its wearer and stays firmly in place once donned.

An armband of the golden serpent allows its wearer to cast spells with the range of touch in melee combat without provoking attacks of opportunity. Spells with ranges other than touch provoke attacks of opportunity as normal - even spells with a range of personal. When the wearer of an armband of the golden serpent casts a touch spell in melee combat, the armband animates, slithering down the wearer’s arm and striking to deliver the touch attack. Although the armband delivers the spell, the wearer is still required to take the necessary actions and make the required attack roll; the wearer does not gain any additional actions.
- - -

Falcon Crown:
This metal headdress is shaped like a falcon’s head and enameled in brilliant colors. Originally crafted for a wizard dedicated to Horus as a reward from his pharaoh for his prowess on the battlefield, the falcon crown was believed lost when the wizard was struck down by an ancient blue dragon, but apparently it has now been found.

The wearer of the falcon crown gains a +2 insight bonus to her Armor Class. In addition, up to three times per day as an immediate action, the wearer of the falcon crown can sacrifice a prepared spell or unused spell slot of 1st level or higher and transform it into a damaging ray, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This ray deals 1d4 points of damage for every level of the spell or spell slot sacrificed. A non-spellcaster cannot create rays with the falcon crown, but can still gain the AC bonus.
- - -


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

Kosei's wounds fully disappear with Zilchus magics "The false pharaoh is dead, and Osirion is safe now. Let the shiny domes of Sothis know of our success as the rush of undead is truly no more"

HP 102/102

Observing the group is wore down by the fatigue the Garundi proposes "If you want to sleep here and now I can leave the thorns for a wile to protect us my friends"

If the group prefers so, Kosei just dismisses the thorny wall.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

With the exploding cultists and the results of combat, the room is rather covered in gore. Not a great place to rest all things considered. Do let me know where you try though. :)


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Kn. Religion (DC 25): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

"Um...let's...maybe we can go back to one of the other rooms and rest," Florence remarks, staring around at all the blood and gore and scorch marks that the room is now decorated in. "This one looks like a hellscape now. Maybe the pyramid room would work?"

With her wounds (and Bynx's) handily mended by Zilchus' channeling, Florence sets about helping to gather up the spoils of war.

She pauses for a moment and stares down at the leader's body. "I wonder who this was? And why they didn't blow up like all the others? That surely wasn't the real Forgotten Pharaoh, was it?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

The bard mindlessly restrings her bow and straps it across her back, while the others have first pick of the loot. I think Nidhi has the most gold value in the party because of the Forgotten Pharaoh Mask 40,000 and Luminous Lockpicks 6,000. If it's okay, I would like to take one of the cloaks to improve Nidhi's saving throws. Don't care which one.

Nidhi eyes the Armband of the Golden Serpent for purely stylistic reasons, but doesn't reach for it. She doesn't think the armband would do her much good - even if it is glamorous. In fact, Nidhi thinks that a lot of the treasure may be quite useful to the tankier members. She laughs when she sees the healing potions, thinking of her own healing capabilities. Then, she remembers she's out of most of her healing spells, so she stops laughing. I reammy need to rest... Nidhi counts the four Cloaks of Resistance and reaches for the one the leader had been wearing (See beginning of post.) "What appealing cloaks. If you all don't mind, I'd like this one. I think it flatters my figure." Nidhi tosses her thick black braid over her shoulder, causing her gold and Lapis Lazuli bracelets to jingle.

Nidhi ignores Zilchus' comment about how she handed over the mask so easily. Instead of responding, she focuses on Florence: "Hey, Flo! Look at that ring! Do you think that would help ward off your fear of fire?" Nidhi tilts her head at her friend, finger pointed towards the jewelry. "...I mean, if you run out of snowballs." Nidhi smiles wryly but also feels sorry for the woman. It was obvious, to Nidhi, the woman clearly has some sort of traumatic past with the element. Nidhi thinks of the time she was a ragdoll in a zombie crocodile's maw and gives an involuntary shiver. She looks at Zilchus and wonders if maybe she should have responded with some snappy comeback. Still owing him a life-debt, Nidhi feels like she needs to sppear stronger than she actually feels.

Adventuring didn't come without trauma. Now, standing in the blood-soaked hall, Nidhi struggles to contain a newly forming fear - a lack of control over her own body. Nidhi can still feel the odd sensation in her mind. Her head being turned into a pincushion, filled with cotton, and the needle of suggestion being stabbed into her consciousness. She turns to stares down at the corpse of the evil woman. Nidhi wants to scream and kick, pummel the dead body for retribution even though she know's it'll do her no good. The violence wouldn't bring her closure on what happened.

Kosei Sharif-El-Sadad wrote:

Kosei's wounds fully disappear with Zilchus magics "The false pharaoh is dead, and Osirion is safe now. Let the shiny domes of Sothis know of our success as the rush of undead is truly no more"

Observing the group is wore down by the fatigue the Garundi proposes "If you want to sleep here and now I can leave the thorns for a wile to protect us my friends"

"Seemed like the real Pharaoh." Nidhi perks up at Kosei's words, but is left feeling confused. "Yes, I guess the Forgotten Pharaoh really is dead now... but... I thought the Pharaoh was already dead?" She frowns, placing a second hand on her hips. "So is there another part of him here? Maybe a heart or a brain? In a magic jar?" The fear of another intrusion into her mind makes Nidhi not want to rest, but her body is beginning to ache. And the fire wall behind them is so toasty warm...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

”Yeah, the pyramid room, sure,” Zilchus replies to Florence as the bodies are stripped and stacked. ”Good as place as any and probably less bloody.”

Zilchus looks down at the body of the Pharoah. ”You think this was the *real* Pharoah?” His eyes go down to where his sword had removed most of the head from the neck. ”I don’t think so, but maybe you’re right in that we need to burn this body.”

He seems pleased to have defeated the Pharoah, but still has a long of lingering questions.

”Man, where is Ben? Piddlespotting BEN!! This is exactly why we liked having him around! At least he could answer questions...don’t get me wrong, he tended to blather on things far too long, but, in general, he’d be really helpful right now.” Zilchus quickly glances at Flo, then away. ”No matter, he’s gone now.”

I wonder if Kosei is a drinker. Would be good to have someone to drink with.

Zilchus will drag his ass over to make camp, intent on opening up some booze and sipping until his turn at watch.

In the morning, Zilchus will work on burning the body of the Pharoah.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party moves to the pyramid chamber which is much cleaner and begins to settle in.

Just shy of an hour after the Forgotten Pharaohs death, there’s a shudder, like a small earthquake in the ground - centered on Nidhi.

Nidhi:
The mask shakes and shudders on your face, almost as if it’s yearning to be somewhere else. You realize that Hakotep’s ib, now freed from its confinement in the woman and without a body to inhabit, has returned to the Sky Pharaoh’s tomb to rejoin with the ba (which was still with the body according to the parties earlier research).

Further you sense that now the two pieces have rejoined, the pharaoh’s ka, which is still trapped inside the mask, wants to join them as well. It surges to join them in fact, before resting back within the golden mask. But it feels somewhat heavier to you for a while…
- - -


Female Halfling Cavalier/15
GMEuan wrote:
From her open mouth slips a glowing, ethereal winged heart that soars up toward the ceiling and passes through it, vanishing from sight.
Zilchus wrote:
”You think this was the *real* Pharoah?”

Stelle thinks, pointed index finger to chin. "I think this was just the Cult Leader. I think ... there are more formidable things still to be found here, maybe undead things. Let's be prepared for that."

Stelle helps Zilchus burn the body. Preferably in one of the many the Sphinx fireplaces, complete with chimney.

"I too wish that Ben were here, so we could know what that little flying heart thing was. Do you think it was part of the Pharaoh's soul? Hey -- Nidhi, does that mask feel any different to you now as you wear it?"

~~~

Earthquake!

Stelle steadies herself on Anubis, who whimpers slightly and sniffs in the direction of Nidhi.

"What was that?! Was that you? Did you do something?! What did you do?"


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"What was that?! Was that you? Did you do something?! What did you do?"

"Oh? I'm sorry. Did my flatulence wake you?" A mischievous grin spreads across the bard's face.

Then, "I jest! I jest!" She waves a palm at Stelle, "I think it was the Forgotten Pharaoh. I think... Hakotep’s ib and ba have been reunited. The mask knows this and wants to join. I think that's why I know."

Nidhi yawns and tries to get back to sleep. "I hope the Pharaoh at least keeps his promise to kill me last." She's too tired to care at the moment. She doesn't mention anything about how the mask feels on her body.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Knowledge arcana, religion, or planes DC 20:
Though two of his soul fragments have apparently joined, you know that rejoining all the fragments of Hakotep’s soul will allow him to finally journey into the afterlife. In fact, only joining two may have caused Hakotep to rise from the dead…

To put him to eternal rest, you should need only to place the Mask of the Forgotten Pharaoh on Hakotep’s body, in his tomb.
- - -

Please feel free to discuss further as you settle in to rest for the night. Apparently, there are no more cultists coming, as you are able to sleep, with proper watch rotations of course, until well into the next day. You arise refreshed, and ready to face new challenges. It is Sunday, Erastus 19, 4714.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi will use her Lore Master ability before sleeping. She thinks for a minute, then adds: "We may have caused Hakotep to rise from the dead. Since two parts of him are joined."

Lore Master: Can take a 10 on any Knowledge that has ranks in. In addition, TWICE (level 11) per day, bard can take 20 on any Knowledge skill check as a Standard Action


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
"We may have caused Hakotep to rise from the dead. Since two parts of him are joined."

1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 Know (Religion)

Zilchus cocks his head, hoping to prove Nidhi wrong with a 'well ackshully', but realizes she's damn right. He nods approvingly.

"Sounds weird, but that's what I think too. So maybe now we should try again to destroy the mask or, if you all want, find a way to capture and destroy the last triad," Zilchus sits and cracks up an jug of applejack. "It's amazing that it can cause flatulence too. I wish Ben were here to ask about that."

He holds up the jug, giving it a sniff. It's not cold, it's not good, but it will be just perfect after the first few long swigs.

Zilchus, unless others complain, will try on the Falcon Crown, thinking that it's pretty sweet. He doesn't ask if anybody minds, he just does it. (Lemme know if you want it, though.)


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Kn. Arcana: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23

"If you want to try it again, be my guest," Florence sighs. "But I still don't think it'll be that easy. We'll probably have to kill him...but we've had to kill a lot of the people we've come across so at least we've had plenty of practice."

She doesn't offer any other thoughts on the matter as she finishes laying out her bedroll and settles in, rolling away from the group to face the wall, her back to everyone.

You should've been here, Ben. You should still be here.

It's a long time before Florence finally manages to drift off to sleep.
______________

The next morning, Florence takes longer than usual during her meditations with Bynx, struggling to decide which magics would be the most useful to prepare for the day. Hers lacked a lot of the power that Ben's had seemed to favor but given what she'd seen from Kosei she hoped that maybe he could help to pick up the slack there. Still, their challenges grew ever more dangerous. She needed to be prepared as best as she could manage.

As she finally makes her decisions and her meditations come to an end, her eyes stray over to the ring they'd recovered from the false pharaoh's corpse. Maybe Nidhi was right...maybe wearing it would help?

"Well...I guess we should probably start with those double-doors we never got a chance to have a proper look at," Florence suggests when talk inevitably turns to where they should go first.

If no one else wants the Ring of Energy Shroud (Fire) then Flo will take it, but only if no one else wants it.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 19

It’s midmorning before the party is ready to move. You’ve claimed some of the items and packed the rest (who is carrying/tracking the 2,000gp diamond dust?).

You move to the double doors and prepare, each in your own way, for what may lie ahead. Eventually the doors are opened to reveal a large, hot chamber. A silver bonfire burns within a wide rectangular pit in this chamber, giving off a considerable amount of heat and shedding dim white light that reflects off of polished shields affixed to the vaulted ceiling some 30’ above.

Stone workbenches form a half-circle around the pit next to long stone troughs. A brick kiln sits on the far side of the pit. Against the walls, more tables hold various tools and implements. Among the mundane tools on the tables are two sets of masterwork artisan’s tools, one for armorsmithing and one for weaponsmithing.

There’s a side chamber, lined with empty racks and a long staircase going up into the sphinx.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

"Neat! A forge!" exclaims Stelle as she moves into the room toward the nearest stone workbench to see if she can figure out how it works.

Having no real skill in forging however, she merely ends up looking about the room.

Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (10) + 18 = 28


In the morning, bedazzled with the Falcon Crown, Zilchus takes his time to prepare his self for whatever horrors await in the rest of the Sphinx.

Gr. Magic Weapon upon his sword (24 hours), Magic Vestment on his shield (12 hours), Endure Elements.

Sorry for the short post, but out of time for the night.


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

Kosei looks at the treasures with a suspicious look, as if not trusting on their real value, although he takes the Armband of the Golden Serpent for now. The Garundi sits on the ground for his rest, opening a small bag to bring in a couple of small fruits he carefully cleans of needles and frugally eats for his late meal.

-------------------------------------

"The workbench is a true blessing for our needs. We can just use it to smash broken with the strength of the metal and the stone the masks that so much trouble are causing to our Osirion" Kosei looks at Nidhi "If we break them we will have no need to find Hakotep's tomb, isn't it?"

The man also scans the room along with the strong halfling.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Maybe if this forge is enchanted..." Florence remarks thoughtfully as she begins scanning the room for magical auras.
____________

Got most of my leveling done; will get the rest done and posted tonight after work!


Zilchus will track and carry the diamond dust.

Zilchus enters the forgeroom with sword drawn and weapon cord attached. He’d like to believe there are no more threats here, but that likely isn’t the case.

”A forge? A forge *in* the Sphinx? This is...impressive...” Zilchus comments, looking around carefully.

1d20 + 22 ⇒ (16) + 22 = 38 Perception


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party searches through the forge, but finds nothing of specific value other than the toolkits already mentioned (though they are large and bulky).

The forge is indeed magical, though there are no other auras in the room. Identification seems to indicate it's an everburning forge, but not particularly more powerful (other than providing the convenience of constant heat).


Zilchus acknowledges the stairs, but opts to return back to a few of the rooms they passed on the way in. If others agree and are ready, Zilchus will enter the room.

Moved on map back to an older door.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15
Kosei wrote:
"We can just use it to smash broken with the strength of the metal and the stone the masks that so much trouble are causing to our Osirion" Kosei looks at Nidhi "If we break them we will have no need to find Hakotep's tomb, isn't it?"

"Oh! Wait -- I have an idea!" Stelle takes one of the cultists' no longer used masks and dons it. She then uses the Sleeves of Many Garments to make it identical to the Mask of the Forgotten Pharaoh that Nidhi is wearing.

"How does it look? If nothing else, maybe this will lend an additional layer of protection for the true mask bearer. What do you think?"

~~~
She follows Zilchus out of the Forge room back to the room that was skipped.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi stares in awe at Stelle's ingenious idea. "I like that."

The bard follows behind one of the more melee-heavy party members, longbow out.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Zilchus carefully opens the door.

White and green flagstones cover the floor of this opulent chamber in an interlocking pattern. Tiles of semiprecious stone decorate the north wall in an elaborate mosaic depicting a ferocious lion devouring a multi-headed serpent. A fine linen curtain curves around the northeastern corner of the room; the form of a large bed shows through the delicate fabric. On either side of a curtained archway leading south, green continual flames burn atop white stone pillars that reach almost to the ceiling.

You proceed to the next adjoining chamber to complete your search. A glowing pool occupies the center of this chamber, illuminating the room with a rippling green light reminiscent of being underwater. Silk pillows cover a raised dais next to the well. On the western side of the room, a white stone statue of a six- legged, faceless sphinx gazes unseeingly toward the well.

Spellcraft DC 35 & detect magic:
The pool has a strong divination aura, and can be used to scry the entrance area. If you focus your attention, you can look out through the eyes of the statue as with Clairvoyance.

You find that if you concentrate, you can see through the eyes of this statue too. There may be other statues you can see through, but without knowing about them, you can't really focus on them.
- - -


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Florence blinks at Stelle, then smiles broadly. "I like it too! And I think I can help make things even more confusing," she adds as she too scavenges a mask and then uses her own Sleeves to mimic the true mask. "What a great idea, Stelle - I wish I'd thought of it!"

As the group's explorations really begin to get underway - and knowing they likely still have a fair bit of the place to explore - Florence indulges in some magical preparations for herself and her companions.

False Life, Greater (Temp. HP): 3d10 + 12 ⇒ (2, 1, 10) + 12 = 25

"Hey, Zilchus? Stelle? It's a pretty new trick that I've learned, but um...well, if you'll let me, I can give one of you a special sort of ward," Florence coughs. "It'll tell me what your status is as long as we're both on the same plane of existence...and I think it'll also let me use my spells on you at a greater range than usual. What do you think?"

Spells & Powers:

6th - Cone of Cold, Greater Heroism
5th - Befuddled Combatant, Break Enchantment x 2, Hold Monster
4th - Black Tentacles, Blessing of Fervor, Confusion, Greater False Life
3rd - Disable Construct, Dispel Magic, Fly, Lightning Bolt, Prayer
2nd - Euphoric Cloud, Glitterdust x2, Hold Person, See Invisibility
1st - Bless, Enlarge Person, Ill Omen, Shadow Trap, Snowball, Unbreakable Heart
Cantrips - Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize

Lesser Extend Rod (3/3)

Fortune Hex Uses:
Healing Hex Uses:

Florence will cast Greater False Life on herself, as well as hit herself with a charge from her wand of Mage Armor. She'll also use her Witch's Charge hex on Zilchus or Stelle (or Nidhi or Kosei if they'd be better candidates), whichever one wants it. Does anyone want Greater Heroism?
______________

When Zilchus opens the door into another room with a glowing pool, Florence peers inside and begins her usual scanning for magical auras...

Spellcraft (DC 35): 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (15) + 19 = 34

...but isn't quite able to turn up any useful information. "Drat...I feel like there's something I'm missing but I can't put my finger on what it might be," she sighs.


Zilchus moves into the room, looking for things of danger or interest, still with his sword drawn.

1d20 + 22 ⇒ (4) + 22 = 26 Perception

"Well, this room is weird, ain't it? Ben? BEN!? GET YOUR FACE OUT OF THE...oh...nevermind," Zilchus seems embarrassed by his error, forgetting that Ben left yesterday and can't answer his questions. "Uh, Nidhi, Flo? Any ideas on what this room is about?" He tries to make it sound like he's not scrapping at the bottom of the intellectual barrel. ;)

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Hey, Zilchus? Stelle? It's a pretty new trick that I've learned, but um...well, if you'll let me, I can give one of you a special sort of ward," Florence coughs.

"Oh yeah, totally. Make me feel heroic. I like that!" Zilchus agrees happily. Gr. Heroism only lasts min/lvl, extended heroism is Z's preferred spell, if possible. Happy to accept the charge too, but hopefully you have the armband on so you can goose either Z or Stelle at any time.


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

Kosei offers some divine guidance to help Florence determine the source of the magics "Shall the thousand sands of the warmest deserts guide you my friend"

The man observes the bed curtains ecstatic "Oh the great Lion eating the serpent!" he sits on the bed and starts touching and enjoying the linen "Why have we slept in those hard tiles when there was such an awesome bed nearby!?" he checks below the bed, sure there will be some secret there.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

As Kosei offers Florence a bit of a boost - a little guidance and moral support - something finally clicks into place in Florence's mind and she suddenly snaps her fingers.

"Oh! Now I see what I missed! There's divination magic on this pool and it'll let you scry on the entrance to this place," she informs the others. "See this statue here? It's like the one at the entrance - if you focus you can look through their eyes. And there's probably other statues scattered around this place that you could look through, but...if you don't actually know where these other statues are then you can't really focus to look through their eyes."

Florence pauses. "Um...hopefully that made sense?"
____________

Silly Flo didn't prepare regular Heroism today but the preference for extended Heroism vs. regular G. Heroism is noted for the future!


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party checks the rooms further, but finds nothing of further interest. There is some evidence that perhaps some of the girtablilu slept here.


Zilchus tries the device, trying to see what he can see. He agrees it's darn neat, but also it confuses him as how it works. He'll try out all the eyes and statues, but then be ready to move on.

Moved on map to next area...are there any other doors we've missed? Will push on when others are ready.

1d20 + 22 ⇒ (8) + 22 = 30 Perception - secret doors?


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

Kosei plays a bit with the well with interest "Well of the great vision show me the entrance of this hollow Sphinx!" and attempts to see multiple places probably without result.

In the end he seems to get bored and follows up Zilchus "You are truly brave man. Do you not fear walking over into a room full of traps? Or perhaps one of the ancient curses of the great and glorious mummies of the pharaoh?"
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Zilchus finds no secret doors or panels. Remember though that was the section of wall that is obviously more recent then the rest. Someone intentionally bricked up the passage.

Kosei has no luck with the well either. You can see just two places currently apparently, and it takes some time to switch between them.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
GM Euan wrote:
Zilchus finds no secret doors or panels. Remember though that was the section of wall that is obviously more recent then the rest. Someone intentionally bricked up the passage.

Can Nidhi cast Detect Magic on the wall?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kosei Sharif-El-Sadad wrote:
"You are truly brave man. Do you not fear walking over into a room full of traps? Or perhaps one of the ancient curses of the great and glorious mummies of the pharaoh?"

Zilchus looks over the intentionally bricked up passage, examining it for weaknesses. He looks over his shoulder at Kosei. "Well, I have a good eye, but that doesn't stop me from getting knicked every once in a while by a trap or spike or a verbal barb from Nidhi. So far, they haven't killed me yet." He runs his hands over the wall, looking for a way through it.

"But to tell you the truth, I try not to think about it. I just try...I dunno, I just go on like a river crashing down the rapids. I don't worry about where or why, I just go. It makes sense that way. Traps don't tell me where to go. They should be wary of me."

Zilchus makes some shooing gestures to get Kosei to stand back. He then casts Stone Shape, trying to make a hole in the rebuilt wall. He thinks he can move a lot of stone in this way, and might be able to craft a way through.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

Dork. You ninja'd me.

Stelle looks on as Zilchus pokes a hole in the bricked up wall, her eyes shining in delight with anticipation.

I wonder if there's more of the pool from the Bath room here... OOH! I wonder if something is entombed here! Besides a Pharaoh...


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Nidhi detects no magic on the wall. It looks to be rather old (dozens of years? More? Hard to say without knowledge engineering), just not as old as the many centuries old sphinx.

It looks like an extremely solid wall, until Zilchus makes a magical hole in it. The wall is a few feet thick, so the hole isn't huge, but certainly large enough for the party to enter. The hallway is considered open and continues to a bend. You smell something... 'earthy' ahead, like freshly turned soil, though a mild smell from here. Seems to be slightly more humid as well beyond the hole.


I am the ninja. I am the walrus. Goo goo g'joob.

"Oh hey, look at that! I can't believe that worked...but it did," Zilchus smiles as his handwork works.

Zilchus scoops away a bit more stone, finding a hole that he feels comfortable entering. When others are ready, he will step to the end of the hallway, keeping a sharp look out.

1d20 + 22 ⇒ (15) + 22 = 37 Perception


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

"Oh I see! You are a truly blessed man Zilchus the tapsenser, a truly blessed man. Only can you then survive to such explorations I think. That makes an adventurer, a hero of the ancient tombs of the infinite Osirion" Kosei looks interested over Zilchus shoulder as the bricked wall is forced open by him "A truly blessed man"

Kosei smells the air trying to identify the humid smell, specially scared of ancient molds and such.
K. dungeoneering+divine guidance: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 14 + 1 = 32

The Garundi takes a small stone and casts light on it before sending it forward. If no danger he moves after Zilchus.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 6

The interior continues to be lit with continual flames at regular intervals, so no need for light, mostly.

The party cautiously advances, the humidity and mud smell growing stronger as they do so. Eventually you round a series of corners and see why, confirming Kosei's suspicions.

A rich, earthy smell pervades the tendrils of steam that drift through the air in this room. The eastern wall of this long chamber is a sunken pit of reddish mud. Lazy currents ripple through the mud, with an occasional slow-forming bubble rising to the surface. Three stone carvings protrude from the wall behind the mud pit at evenly spaced intervals above square recesses about the size of a human hand.

Tiny hieroglyphs decorate each carving. Each of the carvings on the east wall displays the same hieroglyphs - prayers to the demon lord Areshkagal - but Stelle and Zilchus both notice that one small hieroglyph is different on each carving. The left carving displays the hieroglyph for “four,” the center carving the hieroglyph for “two,” and the right carving has no hieroglyph at all in that space.

Zilchus also identifies a secret door in the floor of the chamber, but does not quite understand how it works.

DC 35 perception or DC 25 engineering:
Opening the slab requires the placement of three specific tiles in the recesses beneath the stone carvings on the eastern wall. You have not, as yet, seen any tiles that would fit in the slots in your tour so far.
- - -


3 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

Perception+divine guidance: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 14 + 1 = 34
Kosei thinks he might be able to understand what Zilchus points in the ground, but he is not much so.

"Do you think the hieroglyphs have anything to do with the way to open the ground stones?" Kosei looks at them without understanding its meaning "It is a true luck you are here, because those symbols are as difficult to understand as the destiny of the stars in a clouded night sky"

"The numbers might be a number of people, or number of steps or other actions. And the absence of hieroglyph might point out to the number of zero. Oh smart ancient people of Osirion who discovered the number of zero. Perhaps the hierograph was written before the number of zero was discovered." Kosei arches an eyebrow "The zero is a true blessing I say my friend"


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Although Florence found herself having some trouble following the ramblings of their new ally Kosei, she had to admit that she found the constant chatter oddly comforting - perhaps because she'd grown used to Ben chattering away in much the same fashion.

"Those recesses look like they're meant to hold something though," Florence points out as they gaze around the mud room. "Maybe the hieroglyphs are supposed to be a clue as to what we need to put in them...or in what order?"

With a shrug, she begins to do her due diligence and scans what she can of the room for magical auras.
______________

Though I think our GM might be assuming this already, I'll go ahead and make a formal declaration that Flo will examine new rooms/areas with Detect Magic as part of the group's usual SOP.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15
Florence wrote:
"Hey, Zilchus? Stelle? It's a pretty new trick that I've learned, but um...well, if you'll let me, I can give one of you a special sort of ward," Florence coughs.

Stelle nods, appreciatively. "Oh, that sounds great!"

~~~~

Kosei wrote:
"The numbers might be ... the absence of hieroglyph might point out ... zero ... zero ... zero ... The zero is a true blessing I say my friend"

Stelle regards Kosei with a raised eyebrow. Is he actually over thinking nothing?

Auto +4 to Kosei's Percept Roll, Aid

"Oh, look at that!" exclaims Stelle, pointing to the recesses beneath the stone carvings on the eastern wall. "I think you're on to something Be -- Kosei. It looks like we're supposed to put some tiles there in order to open the slab! Are the tiles supposed to match the carvings?"

She takes off the Belt +6 Physical Might (Dex/Con) and offers it to Nidhi. "Will this help if you have to disarm a trap on the secret door?"

Also, feel free to read the spoiler "DC 35 perception or DC 25 engineering:" above.


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Oh hey, I guess I was right, sort of," Florence remarks with surprise as Stelle and Kosei, together, are able to confirm her suspicions about the recesses in the wall.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

"Spot on you are, Flo!"


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi studies the wall. Then studies it harder, staring down the cold stone. She uses her Lore Master Special to discover how the trap works. She relays what she is able to discover.

Knowledge (Engineering) +7
Lore Master: Can take a 10 on any Knowledge that has ranks in. In addition, TWICE (level 11) per day, bard can take 20 on any Knowledge skill check as a Standard Action

"Perhaps we should come back. We might find a way to disable this the way it was intended.... unless you want me to try anyway?" Nidhi tilts her head and places a hand on her hip, waiting for a response.

Group vote? Pick before you look!

If Nidhi's companions want Nidhi to try to disable the trap:
Nidhi pulls out her Luminious Lockpicks and dons the +6 Dex belt for the procedure.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (16) + 22 = 38

If Nidhi's companions want to explore more first:
Nidhi shrugs, indifferent to their current situation. She had gotten a good night sleep after the quake and was feeling eager to explore the rest of the facility anyway. Nidhi suggests the group return to the initial puzzle room with the coffins lining the wall.


HP 153/153 AC 29 24 TAC 14 FF 28 23 | CMD 25 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 15/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 7/7+3/4 L2: 5/7+0/1 L3: 5/7 L4: 5/6 L5: 4/6 L6: 4/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 1/2 Ext: 1/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 15h, m.fang 15h, life bubble 5h, barkskin 50m, WW15h

The belt (as an ability bonus item) will only provide its bonuses after 24 h of wearing it

Kosei follows what Stelle points out "Oh, yes. It seems we will have to walk around the Sphynx a bit more to find the required tiles"

The Garundi crosses the room and looks to both sides of the corridor and the southern room with the stealth of a cat "Are you tiles out there?"
Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Perception+divine guidance: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 14 + 1 = 33


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor, See Invisibility / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Let's, um...let's see if we find those tiles, first," Florence suggests. "We'll have to keep poking around this place anyway to really get rid of all this nasty cultist grime so maybe we'll find what we need while we're doing that?"

5,501 to 5,550 of 8,295 << first < prev | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.