So Who Is Still Playing Pathfinder 1st Edition


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion

451 to 476 of 476 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Damn, forgot he's a devouring bag. He literally can't get full of himself!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
magnuskn wrote:
...the overall skeleton of 3E (the most popular D&D system, ever)...

I like all games - literally never played an rpg I didn’t like, so I don’t have an agenda. However, if you’re interested, 5E has outsold every other edition in both $ and units now, according to WotC. Whether you believed AD&D was the best-selling (based on number) or 3.5 was (based on sales), 5E has usurped both.

I daresay if you roll in all of WotC’s sales of 3.5 with 3PP including Paizo’s PF products it might become debatable, but then you’d have to add in DM’s guild too and who knows. Even then, it looks like it’s only a matter of time as 5E sales still continue to increase each year.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:
Damn, forgot he's a devouring bag. He literally can't get full of himself!

Like I said, you come at me ... you better don't miss. You missed.

And I was just about to remind everyone that 5E outsold 3.5 already, but Steve did that better than I could.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Huh, I didn't know that (regarding 5E). Well, the more you learn. Thanks for the info, Steve. Still, 3E basically heavily sustained the RPG market for most of two decades.

Anyway, Gorby, your rhetoric is kinda sounding like a half-drunk bouncer. If we were interacting in real life, I'd expect you to poke me with your index finger in my chest right now.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:

Huh, I didn't know that (regarding 5E). Well, the more you learn. Thanks for the info, Steve. Still, 3E basically heavily sustained the RPG market for most of two decades.

Anyway, Gorby, your rhetoric is kinda sounding like a half-drunk bouncer. If we were interacting in real life, I'd expect you to poke me with your index finger in my chest right now.

The RPG market 3E sustained for most of two decades is not the RPG market today. These days, TurboGamists who spend most of their life finding out what combination of spells and feats on their Sorcerer will force the GM to rewrite the entire adventure are even smaller a percentage of the fanbase, which has expanded exponentially towards the less aggressively gamist audience in line with the general shift in preferences among the customer base.

Have fun finding a half-drunken bouncer who could type the above without spelling mistakes. You'd lose. Again :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
The RPG market 3E sustained for most of two decades is not the RPG market today. These days, TurboGamists who spend most of their life finding out what combination of spells and feats on their Sorcerer will force the GM to rewrite the entire adventure are even smaller a percentage of the fanbase, which has expanded exponentially towards the less aggressively gamist audience in line with the general shift in preferences among the customer base.

That's some serious projecting on the audience of 3E you are doing right now. I'm pretty sure the serious power gamer type is about as much found in 2E as in 1E and they are a minority in either environment.

Gorbacz wrote:
Have fun finding a half-drunken bouncer who could type the above without spelling mistakes. You'd lose. Again :)

Tch, underestimating half-drunk bouncers all over.

Seriously, though, you sound very confrontational and not at all funny about it. Calm down a bit. Or is there some big fight going on in the 2E part of the forum which makes you this way? Since I mostly don't visit that section anymore, I'm not in the swing of things.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
The RPG market 3E sustained for most of two decades is not the RPG market today. These days, TurboGamists who spend most of their life finding out what combination of spells and feats on their Sorcerer will force the GM to rewrite the entire adventure are even smaller a percentage of the fanbase, which has expanded exponentially towards the less aggressively gamist audience in line with the general shift in preferences among the customer base.

That's some serious projecting on the audience of 3E you are doing right now. I'm pretty sure the serious power gamer type is about as much found in 2E as in 1E and they are a minority in either environment.

Gorbacz wrote:
Have fun finding a half-drunken bouncer who could type the above without spelling mistakes. You'd lose. Again :)

Tch, underestimating half-drunk bouncers all over.

Seriously, though, you sound very confrontational and not at all funny about it. Calm down a bit. Or is there some big fight going on in the 2E part of the forum which makes you this way? Since I mostly don't visit that section anymore, I'm not in the swing of things.

No, ever since apparently most of the caustic and edgy people were also the people who decided not even to look at PF2, discarding it right off the bat for one reason or another, that part of the forum is lovely quiet and nice. Ravingdork raves a bit, but that always was the amicable kind of raving.

It's on the pre-PF1 level of civility, actually. There's some occasional grar, but most of the edgelord nonsense is gone.


9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:

No, ever since apparently most of the caustic and edgy people were also the people who decided not even to look at PF2, discarding it right off the bat for one reason or another, that part of the forum is lovely quiet and nice. Ravingdork raves a bit, but that always was the amicable kind of raving.

It's on the pre-PF1 level of civility, actually. There's some occasional grar, but most of the edgelord nonsense is gone.

Oh, well. I guess you come here for your usual PF1E jollies you are so well known for. Kinda rude, since the other people here seem to be getting along, as long as nobody brings up edition comparisons.

Not sure if I'd call anyone here an "edgelord", though. Seems to be a title more apt for a low-twenties clientele, where I presume that most people here are well in their thirties and fourties by now.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Uh, we just had someone threaten to start reporting people as an intimidation tactic just for pointing out they were being hyperbolic.

And it’s entirely possible we have kids, teens, and twenties playing either version of Pathfinder and being on here, there’s not an age restriction.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I quote myself from above, "as long as nobody brings up edition comparisons."

And of course there is a range of all ages for Pathfinder 1E. But, as I also said above, "I presume that most people here are well in their thirties and fourties by now."

I mean, wasn't the point, as Gorbacz even pointed out before, to appeal to a younger audience with 2E, with a "general shift in preferences among the customer base"?

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:

I quote myself from above, "as long as nobody brings up edition comparisons."

And of course there is a range of all ages for Pathfinder 1E. But, as I also said above, "I presume that most people here are well in their thirties and fourties by now."

I mean, wasn't the point, as Gorbacz even pointed out before, to appeal to a younger audience with 2E, with a "general shift in preferences among the customer base"?

It's not about the age, it's about the fact that the TTRPG market is now bigger and has far more people with less gamist approach. Folks who got in thanks to Critical Role or Knights of Everflame, not through reading the story about Landsknecht/Savage Horticulturist kukri juggle build wrecks everything up to APL+5.

You can be 40 years old and not be interested in "winning" a TTRPG in the slightiest :)


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
magnuskn wrote:

I quote myself from above, "as long as nobody brings up edition comparisons."

And of course there is a range of all ages for Pathfinder 1E. But, as I also said above, "I presume that most people here are well in their thirties and fourties by now."

I mean, wasn't the point, as Gorbacz even pointed out before, to appeal to a younger audience with 2E, with a "general shift in preferences among the customer base"?

It's not about the age, it's about the fact that the TTRPG market is now bigger and has far more people with less gamist approach. Folks who got in thanks to Critical Role or Knights of Everflame, not through reading the story about Landsknecht/Savage Horticulturist kukri juggle build wrecks everything up to APL+5.

You can be 40 years old and not be interested in "winning" a TTRPG in the slightiest :)

Again with the stereotyping. There's all kind of players who like 1E. Same with 2E.

Sure, there will be new players who start out at a higher age range. But statistically it's more likely that newer players will be younger and they are of course a preferred audience, because they will stick around longer. Although of course the older audience normally has more means of purchasing large numbers of books. ;)

Shadow Lodge

In my experience the choice of what game to play is entirely based on the group you play with. I currently play in three different gaming groups and we are all three groups playing pf1. I wouldn't say that was my decision to play only pf1. We've played other games in the past and I wouldn't even say pf1 is my favorite rpg, but it's the one I play the most because that's what we've been playing.

The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.
nosig wrote:
ErichAD wrote:
Tsukiyo wrote:


Regarding the recent spate of posts: Is there a mute function on these forums? Some posters strike me as consistently unhelpful and antagonistic and it'd be great to filter them out. Failing that, perhaps they could comport themselves with more dignity and stick to forums for games they actually enjoy?
I don't think so. If you find one, let me know.

Ignore is a wonderful thing.

I actually don't know if it still works though - I did use it for a long time though, just to filter out some of the worst. But then I started to develop an internal filter, and now I just don't see some posters posts... so I guess I have modified my internal filters.

At one time, before I found it, I was at the stage of giving up on the boards, and finding the Ignore V5 actually enabled me to remain on-line and active in the community... so I hope it still works.

floating this back to the top, as it appears some of us need it. anyone know if Ignore still works? my personal internal filters seem to be working fine - so I haven't checked on it lately...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gnoams wrote:
In my experience the choice of what game to play is entirely based on the group you play with. I currently play in three different gaming groups and we are all three groups playing pf1. I wouldn't say that was my decision to play only pf1. We've played other games in the past and I wouldn't even say pf1 is my favorite rpg, but it's the one I play the most because that's what we've been playing.

"what does the gm feel like running" is what gets played a lot more than people like to admit XD


Well we just played on Sunday in Strange Aeons vol. 3, me and another player died in the Dreamlands so now we are both afraid of the dark(as per minor madness/phobia rules). I am annoyed that there wasn't any saving throw allowed for this effect.

Shadow Lodge

Ryan Freire wrote:
gnoams wrote:
In my experience the choice of what game to play is entirely based on the group you play with. I currently play in three different gaming groups and we are all three groups playing pf1. I wouldn't say that was my decision to play only pf1. We've played other games in the past and I wouldn't even say pf1 is my favorite rpg, but it's the one I play the most because that's what we've been playing.
"what does the gm feel like running" is what gets played a lot more than people like to admit XD

Yes exactly.

For many of us adult players, with other responsibilities and not all the time we want to work on making awesome games, we tend to fall back on the system we already know instead of taking the time to learn a new one.

Dark Archive

I don't think its age thing, people in general don't like learning new systems, whether they are newbies or veterans :p

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
I don't think its age thing, people in general don't like learning new systems, whether they are newbies or veterans :p

Maybe, but when I was a kid, I was playing all sorts of different games. We'd get excited when we discovered a new rpg and ditch the previous game to try out the shiny new one. Sticking to one game for a long time never happened until I was older.


Ryan Freire wrote:
gnoams wrote:
In my experience the choice of what game to play is entirely based on the group you play with. I currently play in three different gaming groups and we are all three groups playing pf1. I wouldn't say that was my decision to play only pf1. We've played other games in the past and I wouldn't even say pf1 is my favorite rpg, but it's the one I play the most because that's what we've been playing.
"what does the gm feel like running" is what gets played a lot more than people like to admit XD

At a table where everyone takes turns GMing, it's a bit more of a negotiation. If someone wants to run something nobody wants to play, then they don't run. I'm a huge fan of GURPS, but it's a bit much for one of our players so it doesn't happen, another GM really likes whitewolf stuff and I feel the game world is comedically melodramatic and struggle to take it seriously, so that doesn't happen. But we have been negotiating a GURPS game set in the Aftermath game world, and I think the holdout is willing to give it a shot. And I'm okay playing as a human in a world with melodramatic monsters, so the whitewolf guy has an angle there.

Pathfinder is just an easier sell. We all know the rules, we each have our own setting that we run games in that have been growing steadily over the years, and it's halfway between gurps and 5e for rules depth and GM effort, so it gets used more often than not.

Dark Archive

gnoams wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
I don't think its age thing, people in general don't like learning new systems, whether they are newbies or veterans :p
Maybe, but when I was a kid, I was playing all sorts of different games. We'd get excited when we discovered a new rpg and ditch the previous game to try out the shiny new one. Sticking to one game for a long time never happened until I was older.

Let's say people around 15 and older then? ;D Not that I've ever seen almost ever teenagers play... So let's say young adults/adults and older?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
gnoams wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
I don't think its age thing, people in general don't like learning new systems, whether they are newbies or veterans :p
Maybe, but when I was a kid, I was playing all sorts of different games. We'd get excited when we discovered a new rpg and ditch the previous game to try out the shiny new one. Sticking to one game for a long time never happened until I was older.
Let's say people around 15 and older then? ;D Not that I've ever seen almost ever teenagers play... So let's say young adults/adults and older?

I'm an ageless oracular lich, and having seen every RPG that has existed, will exist, or exist currently, the best RPG to ever exist (in my completely unbiased and also accurate opinion) is:

...

"Mouseguard III: This time it's Cyberpunk"

Huh.

Well, it's still 150~ years away so bad news to those of you who have lifespans shorter than that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steve Geddes wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
...the overall skeleton of 3E (the most popular D&D system, ever)...

I like all games - literally never played an rpg I didn’t like, so I don’t have an agenda. However, if you’re interested, 5E has outsold every other edition in both $ and units now, according to WotC. Whether you believed AD&D was the best-selling (based on number) or 3.5 was (based on sales), 5E has usurped both.

I daresay if you roll in all of WotC’s sales of 3.5 with 3PP including Paizo’s PF products it might become debatable, but then you’d have to add in DM’s guild too and who knows. Even then, it looks like it’s only a matter of time as 5E sales still continue to increase each year.

I think a large portion of that would be due to both popular media(Stranger Things & Critical Role) and the move to what is essentially a Rules Lite system versus a simulationist system. You can sit down and make a character for 5e in less than 10 minutes. The numbers don't really get huge and it makes for a better pizza/beer game than other TTRPGs. If someone wants to do something not covered by the rules, you're encouraged to roll with it rather than not in a simulationist game. If I was recommending a TTRPG to someone for the first time with no experience, I'd probably recommend them 5e(Or FFD6, but g*%~%!n I love that system).

5E you don't have to be an enthusiast of TTRPGs to get into whereas I would say PF1 definitely and PF2 maybe.


ErichAD wrote:
Ryan Freire wrote:
gnoams wrote:
In my experience the choice of what game to play is entirely based on the group you play with. I currently play in three different gaming groups and we are all three groups playing pf1. I wouldn't say that was my decision to play only pf1. We've played other games in the past and I wouldn't even say pf1 is my favorite rpg, but it's the one I play the most because that's what we've been playing.
"what does the gm feel like running" is what gets played a lot more than people like to admit XD

At a table where everyone takes turns GMing, it's a bit more of a negotiation. If someone wants to run something nobody wants to play, then they don't run. I'm a huge fan of GURPS, but it's a bit much for one of our players so it doesn't happen, another GM really likes whitewolf stuff and I feel the game world is comedically melodramatic and struggle to take it seriously, so that doesn't happen. But we have been negotiating a GURPS game set in the Aftermath game world, and I think the holdout is willing to give it a shot. And I'm okay playing as a human in a world with melodramatic monsters, so the whitewolf guy has an angle there.

Pathfinder is just an easier sell. We all know the rules, we each have our own setting that we run games in that have been growing steadily over the years, and it's halfway between gurps and 5e for rules depth and GM effort, so it gets used more often than not.

My group looks really similar. We all enjoy PF1(Our newer folks having some growing pains with it), but each of us also enjoys different flavors of TTRPGs. Savage Worlds, Final Fantasy D6, I like WoD games, 5E, and there's a Godbound game somewhere in the works that'll get run eventually.


My group is very set in their ways. Pathfinder, sometimes, WoD, Shadowrun or Star Wars. that's about it. I've been trying to get my group to try playing the Cypher system, and it's been like pulling teeth.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Greylurker wrote:
My group is very set in their ways. Pathfinder, sometimes, WoD, Shadowrun or Star Wars. that's about it. I've been trying to get my group to try playing the Cypher system, and it's been like pulling teeth.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cypher system, but it's a pretty big change from your standard d20 game. Which is something I love about it.

451 to 476 of 476 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / So Who Is Still Playing Pathfinder 1st Edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.