Powerful martial pretending to be a mid level caster


Advice


I'd like to read your suggestions on what magic items would you give a character who is a high level martial who tries to pass himself as a mid level caster, other than wands, scrolls snd staves, of course. To be clear, the character does mot claim to be a caster and won't hide that he's using magic items, but will hide his martial prowess and abilities and will only use magic items.


This isn't really possible for a character who isn't actually a caster with a martial focus. You could play an occultist and use the item powers but you aren't passing yourself off as a caster, you are one.

When I say its not possible, I mean in normal play. You could ask the GM for a heap of money to buy a lot of expensive magic items under the condition that you lose or give them up when you use your martial abilities.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

These feats may help, item mastery .

As for good spells:
Teleport, fireball, haste, summon monster (make them cast spells), simulacrum, combat buffs.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

If you don't mind having your character actually be the source of some of the magic, there are some alternate racial traits and racial feats that can turn a martial half-elf into somebody loaded with spell-like abilities. Depending on your level, you can then either go fighter to qualify for item mastery feats or rogue to have Use Magic Device as a class skill and pick up a few more spell-like abilities.


David knott 242 wrote:
If you don't mind having your character actually be the source of some of the magic, there are some alternate racial traits and racial feats that can turn a martial half-elf into somebody loaded with spell-like abilities. Depending on your level, you can then either go fighter to qualify for item mastery feats or rogue to have Use Magic Device as a class skill and pick up a few more spell-like abilities.

Half Elves in particular have an Alternate Racial Trait called Arcane Training which allows them to use just about any Magic Wand.

If you had say a lot of ranks in Perform, Magician, Bluff, and could cast say, Prestidigitation, I'd say you'd stand a fair chance of fooling people into thinking that doughty, canny warrior were actually a powerful Wizard.


Money is of no concern. As I said, the character is powerful and thus has plenty of wealth.
I'm looking only for advice on magic items.
Also, since there seems to be a misunderstanding, I'll repeat, the character doesn't claim to be a caster. He only "pretends" to be one. It is of no consequence if someone will see that he's not.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

There are quite a few rings that have spell effects. Rings of elemental commands have several spell effects and ring of spell storing, especially if they have someone else who can recharge it, would be great for this.

Personally, I'd probably start with a cloak of the hedge wizard though.

One thing to keep in mind is that is isn't exactly obvious how easy (or hard) it is to tell if someone is casting spell normally or using a magic item to create a spell effect or using a magic item to cast a spell. Is it totally obvious? Is it a perception or knowledge check?

The point of this is, if the GM and the players don't have the same understanding about how this bit of the rules works, it could lead to players feeling 'cheated' if the GM uses this to 'fool' them.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
If you don't mind having your character actually be the source of some of the magic, there are some alternate racial traits and racial feats that can turn a martial half-elf into somebody loaded with spell-like abilities. Depending on your level, you can then either go fighter to qualify for item mastery feats or rogue to have Use Magic Device as a class skill and pick up a few more spell-like abilities.
Half Elves in particular have an Alternate Racial Trait called Arcane Training which allows them to use just about any Magic Wand.

I must admit that I don't care for using that alternate racial trait for a class you have no levels in, as you are basically giving up your favored class bonuses for that purpose. Some other people apparently consider the exchange worth it, though.

I would prefer having a Half-Elf Fighter replace Multitalented with Fey Thoughts instead so that he can get Use Magic Device as a class skill.


Dave Justus wrote:

There are quite a few rings that have spell effects. Rings of elemental commands have several spell effects and ring of spell storing, especially if they have someone else who can recharge it, would be great for this.

Personally, I'd probably start with a cloak of the hedge wizard though.

One thing to keep in mind is that is isn't exactly obvious how easy (or hard) it is to tell if someone is casting spell normally or using a magic item to create a spell effect or using a magic item to cast a spell. Is it totally obvious? Is it a perception or knowledge check?

The point of this is, if the GM and the players don't have the same understanding about how this bit of the rules works, it could lead to players feeling 'cheated' if the GM uses this to 'fool' them.

Spell Storing Rings have the advantage of being charged with either arcane or divine spells or both. The assumption seems to be a mid-level arcane caster but ... .

Dress the role but given that between all the varieties of both arcane and divine casters the "stereotype" mold has been smashed all to heck and back that shouldn't be much of an issue. Dressing would include bearing weapons of those typical for the show.

As for the question of detecting the deception (cast from item vs cast 'normally') it probably comes down to the appropriate Spellcraft and or Knowledge Arcana checks. And the ever pesky question of spell manifestations and how they are used by the GM and group in question. I don't recall for instance if casting from an item creates manifestations or if that is a potential issue right there i.e. no manifestations then obviously it wasn't cast by our martial. And he needs to avoid being the subject of Arcane Sight.

And our high level martial doesn't have to go around casting much of anything. Just act the role and let folks make assumptions. Something folks are very good at doing generally. Unless, of course, the locals are asking for magical support to fight off the orc army camped outside the city.

And then there's the question of what is his usual high level martial equipment? And is he willing and able to wear a Cloak of the Hedge Wizard, Ring of Elemental Command and Ring of Spell Storing instead?


The character is dedicated to act as a caster (not specifically arcane, btw). He will only carry and use "caster" items, be it a wizard's robe or a magical ring.
And, again, the point isn't to fool others into thinking the character is casting spells, so do not worry about disguising his item casting as regular casting.
If you're thinking "what's the point of this", I can only answer, there are story reasons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fighter can used Advanced Weapon/Armor Training's item mastery to mimic casting a few impressive effects. There's a guide to it. The Conduit Feats from Planar Adventures also add some SLA abilities to Fighter.


Anarchy_Kanya wrote:
And, again, the point isn't to fool others into thinking the character is casting spells, so do not worry about disguising his item casting as regular casting.

I'm confused:

Anarchy_Kanya wrote:
a character who... tries to pass himself as a mid level caster

He's trying to pass himself off as a caster, but not make anyone think he is a caster?

Anarchy_Kanya wrote:

The character is dedicated to act as a caster (not specifically arcane, btw). He will only carry and use "caster" items, be it a wizard's robe or a magical ring.

If you're thinking "what's the point of this", I can only answer, there are story reasons.

So now I'm not really sure what you want. You want to play a fighter but roleplay him as a caster? That doesn't sound so hard: optimize and roleplay!

Can you elaborate and elucidate on what you want?


So do you want him using an Ioun stone that gives a +1 caster level, several Pearl's of Power, a Headband and a Ring of Wizardry type items?

High levels of Disguise maybe?

For the most part the only folks that can question his 'act' are likely casters themselves.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
He's trying to pass himself off as a caster, but not make anyone think he is a caster?

The character pretends to be a caster, for the fun of it, because he can.

Quote:
So now I'm not really sure what you want. You want to play a fighter but roleplay him as a caster?

More like the character wants to roleplay as a caster.

Quote:
That doesn't sound so hard: optimize and roleplay!

That's what this thread is for. First I optimize the magic item selection, then I roleplay.

Quote:
Can you elaborate and elucidate on what you want?

What I want is stated in the first post - suggestions on magic items that will help an otherwise unmagical martial character to pretend he's a caster.

Kayerloth wrote:
So do you want him using an Ioun stone that gives a +1 caster level, several Pearl's of Power, a Headband and a Ring of Wizardry type items?

Do these even do anything for a noncaster? I am going to give him a Headband of Int for the UMD skill (because he wouldn't have it otherwise).

Quote:
For the most part the only folks that can question his 'act' are likely casters themselves.

That's okay with him.

I understand that this might be confusing, but I really don't know how else I can make it clearer. And I'm trying. I really am.
In simplest terms: a character that isn't a caster (very far from it in fact) wants to "be" a caster, or at least as close to it as vast amounts of disposable wealth can bring him. And before anyone suggests it, no, he can't/won't actually become a caster.


Maybe he's like Gandalf. Everyone says he's a Wizard, but in the books, we barely see him cast any actual spells at all.

To the list above, I'd add Hand of the Mage and the Crown of Swords. I pretty much always recommend a Lyre of Building when you can afford one. Also, a Decanter of Endless Water and an Eversmoking Bottle: I always like those.

Maybe a Broom of Flying?

It occurs to me that the character could be a Quinngong Monk, maybe a Drunken Quinngong Master? But maybe that's too much like being a caster.


Maybe take the Well Prepared Halfling Feat. It gives you a chance of always just happening to have the right item you need for whatever occasion.


Quote:
I'd like to read your suggestions on what magic items would you give a character who is a high level martial who tries to pass himself as a mid level caster, other than wands, scrolls snd staves, of course.

I would just dress the part. I.e., Glamered armor that looks like wizard's robes, a spellbook (cookbook w/runes on the cover), a light club that looks like a metamagic rod, and a 1cp pet rat sitting on your shoulder.

Sure: maybe the opponent will cast Detect Magic on you, then wait the required rounds for a full reading. Or, they'll just assume you are what you seem to be, thank their lucky stars you're not invisible yet, and proceed accordingly from false premises (that, of course, being what you were hoping for).

Quote:
To be clear, the character does mot claim to be a caster and won't hide that he's using magic items, but will hide his martial prowess and abilities and will only use magic items.

Use Magic device way up high, and be filthy rich if you intend to buy wands of better than 2nd-level spells. Otherwise, all mid-level characters are expected to own some magical items in the weapon, armor, healing, and transportation categories, -- so you're having them won't make you unique.

Grand Lodge

A good bluff bonus is needed in case of trying to maintain the plausiability of the pretense because it won't only involve the mechanical appearance, also how the character will portray it.


Are there any magic items that you think a caster should have, which can also be used by a noncaster?


There's a bunch but I don't think that's really what you're asking for:
Item(s) increasing saving throws (Cloak of Resistance), Items increasing AC (Ring of Deflection, Amulet of Natural Armor), etc.. the sort of things that pretty much any character would need.

That said there are many such items already listed above in various posts that while not strictly usable by casters only probably are found more on non-martial types.

Various Robes such as Robe of Stars, Cape of the Mountebank, other non-armor clothing items. Many off the Wondrous Items entries could fit the bill. If they are just part of the act the exact items don't really matter do they? Pick lots of flashy obvious stuff and go for it.


As David Justice already suggested, Cloak of the Hedgewizard is a must. I think the Evocation version is best for this since using light at will helps carry the image of a wizard as much as prestidigitation.

While it is expensive, a Ring of Telekinesis is an unlimited use item that makes you feel like a wizard. It combines a decent offense with a good utility spell. It can also fake a mage hand or sort of emulate an unseen servant.

If you want to be a blaster, you can go 'cheap' with a crown of blasting. Or you can go super expensive with a Helm of Brilliance. The Helm of Brilliance is a lot more convincing.

A necklace of fireballs is an even cheaper alternative. A slight of hand check would make it look a lot more convincing.

Vambraces of the Genie have a lot of once a day use spell effects.

And a pair of Winged Boots are a lot more convincing than Boots of Teleportation. Mainly because flying is a lot less situational than teleportation. Though the character could own both.

Also various Rods would be useful. The Rod of Wonder is of particular interest...


In the vein of the Cloak of the Hedgewizard, there are also the Apprentice's Cheating Gloves, which will add Prestidigitation and Mage Hand at-will.

Should only add about 3300 gp to the price of any other magic gloves or gauntlets the character might have.


Hat of Disguise and respectable Sleight of Hand and/or Bluff skills should do the trick, as well as having a host of consumable items to actually make it believable.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Powerful martial pretending to be a mid level caster All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.