My name is Chris Pramas is I'll be your guest blogger today. You may know me as the founder and president of Green Ronin Publishing, the author of the AD&D Guide to Hell, a contributor to the Emerald Spire superdungeon, or the designer of the Dragon Age RPG. The fine people at Paizo Publishing have given me the chance to tell you about Green Ronin's latest Kickstarter, the Advanced Bestiary for the Pathfinder RPG!
Veterans of the d20 years will no doubt recognize the Advanced Bestiary. It originally came out in 2005 and was an immediate hit. The book provided over 100 templates and a sample creature for each of them. The utility it provided to GMs was immense. As we like to say, the Advanced Bestiary makes every other monster book you own more valuable.
Now we are bringing the Advanced Bestiary back and updating it for Pathfinder. This was an easy decision to make because we've received so many requests from Pathfinder fans to do so. Last summer, for example, I went down to PaizoCon on Sunday. I was there in no official capacity. I showed up to take part in the miniatures trade and to hang out in the bar and see friends. Nonetheless, multiple people came up to me and said, "Please update the Advanced Bestiary!" It was something we were already talking about after the success of our Freeport Kickstarter earlier this year, but the personal pleas certainly brought it home!
We realize, of course, that there are many Pathfinder fans who were not around in 2005 and that's one reason we've had our Pathfinder developer, Owen Stephens, creating some new sample monsters using templates from the book. He started with three new creatures, the Cave Ogre, Toxic Goblin, and Autumn Genie. Then he took those same base creatures and made three different creatures with other templates: the Herald of Ragnarok, Darkling, and Umbrated Genie. You can download all those sample monsters for free in Wednesday's update.
The great news is that we've already hit our basic funding goal and unlocked two stretch goals (a new cover for the book and 16 pages of new content). You can be assured therefore that the Advanced Bestiary is happening and you can pledge in confidence. We are pushing to hit at least two more stretch goals, however. If we can get up to $45,000, we will print the book in full color and commission brand new color art for the whole thing. This is how we really want to do the book and we've got until Monday, December 9. Let's make it happen!
If you are a loyal Pathfinder fan, you've actually been enjoying the Advanced Bestiary for years already. Here's a list of all the Paizo books that have used templates from the book. Clearly Paizo knows something about the Advanced Bestiary. Check out the Kickstarter and find out what!
- Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
- Pathfinder Module: Carnival of Tears
- Pathfinder Module: Hungry are the Dead
- Pathfinder Module: Realm of the Fellnight Queen
- Pathfinder Module: City of Golden Death
- Pathfinder Module: Revenge of the Kobold King
- Pathfinder Module: Crucible of Chaos
- Pathfinder #65: Into the Nightmare Rift (Shattered Star, Volume 5)
- Pathfinder #54: The Empty Throne (Jade Regent, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #51: The Hungry Storm (Jade Regent, Volume 3)
- Pathfinder #50: Night of Frozen Shadows (Jade Regent, Volume 2)
- Pathfinder #48: Shadows of Gallowspire (Carrion Crown, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #47: Ashes at Dawn (Carrion Crown, Volume 5)
- Pathfinder #46: Wake of the Watcher (Carrion Crown, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #45: Broken Moon (Carrion Crown, Volume 3)
- Pathfinder #42: Sanctum of the Serpent God (Serpent's Skull, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #40: Vaults of Madness (Serpent's Skull, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #36: Sound of a Thousand Screams (Kingmaker, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #34: Blood for Blood (Kingmaker, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #33: The Varnhold Vanishing (Kingmaker, Volume 3)
- Pathfinder #31: Stolen Land (Kingmaker, Volume 1)
- Pathfinder #30: The Twice-Damned Prince (Council of Thieves, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #28: The Infernal Syndrome (Council of Thieves, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #27: What Lies in Dust (Council of Thieves, Volume 3)
- Pathfinder #26: The Sixfold Trial (Council of Thieves, Volume 2)
- Pathfinder #23: The Impossible Eye (Legacy of Fire, Volume 5)
- Pathfinder #22: The End of Eternity (Legacy of Fire, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #18: Descent into Midnight (Second Darkness, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #16: Endless Night (Second Darkness, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #12: Crown of Fangs (Curse of the Crimson Throne, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #11: Skeletons of Scarwall (Curse of the Crimson Throne, Volume 5)
- Pathfinder #10: A History of Ashes (Curse of the Crimson Throne, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #9: Escape from Old Korvosa (Curse of the Crimson Throne, Volume 3)
- Pathfinder #6: Spires of Xin-Shalast (Rise of the Runelords, Volume 6)
- Pathfinder #4: Fortress of the Stone Giants (Rise of the Runelords, Volume 4)
- Pathfinder #2: The Skinsaw Murders (Rise of the Runelords, Volume 2)
Green Ronin Publishing