(#1-12) "Burden of Envy" (Inactive)

Game Master rainzax

Swindler, rogue, and occasional Pathfinder ally Guaril Karela has approached the Society with an opportunity that Valais Durant, the leader of the Society's Radiant Oath faction, can't refuse. Guaril has been charging refugees to sneak them out of Xin Edasseril, a city ruled by the Runelord of Envy, and now it looks like Guaril won't be able to fulfill his contracts. Society agents are charged with sneaking into the dangerous city and sneaking out with a handful of its citizens before their absence is noticed so that the Radiant Oath can help them find new lives beyond their current ruler's tyrannical reach.

Slides / Maps > Burden of Envy
Resource > Faction Boons (PDF)
Resource > (GM Numbat's) Org Play PbP intro
Resource > Joining Pathfinder Society: Faction, Training, Network Items, and First Boons
Action Symbols > Single (◆), Double (◆◆), Triple (◆◆◆), Free (◇), Reaction (↺)
Status Symbols > ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status conditions


51 to 100 of 493 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Thassilon lore to recall the most common sort of threat in this sewer system: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Orris is quite impressed by the team's impressive displays of competence, and tries to learn what he can from them, without interfering. He volunteers to scout through the sewers, and offers the team the option of borrowing a few of the items he had prepared using Infused Reagents, if they would like:

1 sunrod, 1 alchemist's fire.

These lose potency tomorrow.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène is glad to see their group has enough sense to favour the subtle approach. She would have stopped anyone who'd suggested they simply break down the door. As she watches Zapp work she admires his skill and his tools, surprised at the speed with which he picks the lock in only one attempt.

Inside, Helène snorts when it turns out that Fitch isn't at home. "That's typical." She notes the backdoor, but figures that it doesn't matter now anymore. She gets to deciphering the hidden message and doesn't seem too pleased when the trail leads them into the sewers. "I have a feeling all of this is going to take a lot more effort than expected." She straightens herself, resigned to dirty work. "He's still the most valuable client, though..."

Helène isn't the quickest to react to the stranger approaching the house. She keeps quiet and out of sight. Con jobs are usually easiest when working alone. Too many cousins spoil the party, and such... She waits and listens for whether the woman goes along with Zapp's story and won't interfere unless absolutely necessary.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Into the Sewers (Part One)

The neighbor's apprehensions are dispelled by your silver-tongued comrade, shooing her away with a politeness she was socially unable to do little more but open her mouth with the intention of speaking to express doubt or request clarification, but instead found herself empathizing with the elf's cause, and thanking him in return for clarifying his own mix-up, and walking away feeling as if she had helped her neighbor's (and "Gustavo's") overall situation.

All said, with great haste did the party assess the situation at Flitch's flat, determine actionable intel, and act upon it. Too, some internal shift brews over, as the Scholar of the group, who had been chomping at the bit when the Local lead them somewhat astray coming into Envy Row East initially, and chiding him now, puts forth his case, and taking the Map, points his fingers in this direction with confidence, such that, he adopts the new role of 'guide' for the group, who follow his lead, swiftly across town, taking non-circular sidestreets and alleyways, bypassing main thoroughfares, and out from the Slum Quarter right into the Industrial Sector, to what the three decipherer's recognize as the entrance depicted in Flitch's coded message.

A cornucopia of sickening smells slowly saturate on your nostril hairs as a well-oiled grate leads down into a twisting system of tunnels, graffiti covering the walls at every intersection of this putrid labyrinth. Presently with each turn, the light goes dimmer and dimmer... until the Doc cracks a Sunrod, lighting the way.

Time: 1:00pm, Day One, 4 hours until curfew

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 but +1 vs traps
Bardok March to Investigate: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Investigate @ 11+x

...

Apollon Zamp:

No traps that you can see so far down here.

Bardok Marsh:

Without breaking pace, you believe Flitch left some more coded messages within some of the graffiti down here - perhaps similar markings indicating directions and such - but you would have stop and take some time to fully decode these new markings.

Dr. Orris Duftwurtz:

Speculating that this was a direct byproduct of the 5,000 year temporal dilation, or more specifically your city's "arrival" back unto the current timeline - no small act of violence as concerns the laws of physical chemistry, and corollarily, not without a proportional degree of collateral damage - it seems the sewer system has sustained some structural damage, becoming dislocated here or collapsed there, and as a result, portions of it becoming connected to the underground sea caves, naturally leading to an intersection of these once-seperate ecosystems.

...

1) As I am aware of three of the party members Exploration Mode Activities through the sewers above, I am curious what the other four party members are doing as we explore.

2) The party is going to need to make another Navigation check through the sewers, but this time only the Survival skill will be useful here. I want to know who is leading and who is aiding, so please clarify this is your post.

3) Finally, I'd like to know if we are going in "weapons drawn" or "weapons away", which is something I am interested in knowing generally whenever we explore a new location, as well as specifically here. If the former, please indicate what your character's "weapons" are.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

No traps! Seems safe enough.

1) Mine is noted in character byline.

2) Zamp is trained in survival but only +3. Xue has a +4. We are the only two PCs trained in survival as far as I can tell. I recommend we both try to lead if possible, to increase our offs of success. I would rather not attempt to aid as that is a DC 20.

3) Out of sight, "Humble Measure" takes on a more insidious demeanor, walking around with his whip and spell component pouch at the ready.

Survival, Leading if allowed: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok competently leads the party to the sewers. Leading within the sewers, however, is another story. He hangs back and looks to his allies to see if any of them step forward with greater underworld expertise than he possesses, quickly falling into place behind the silver-tongued elf.

”Looks like these sigils maintain the code. Let me see if I can pick up with Flitch is trying to put down.” He stops to examine the markings on the sewer walls and glean some insight from them.

Not sure what the check would be, but Bardok wants to try to decipher the new markings he found. No weapons drawn at this juncture.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng goes empty-handed, without weapons out.

"Do we have a place to stay the night? The smell here would make it difficult to rest."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

"Well done Bardok," says Helène as he leads the group to the sewer entrance most efficiently. She looks up. "We have about four hours left until curfew, it seems. Either we make it out and to an inn before that time - which I'd prefer - or we stay down there for the night."

As they enter the sewers and Bardok shows them the sigils, Helène joins him. "Good find. If we can track him this way, that might save a lot of time." She straightens her waistcoat. "If people don't mind, I'll take up a position in the lead. My sense of direction is terrible, so other people will have to point where to go. But I don't need weapons to defend myself, and maybe if we find Flitch and he spots me first, he'll be less likely to spook."

I'm going unarmed. If I'm at the front, Helène will use Search (Perception +4) to look for traps and other hazards.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Into the Sewers (Part Two)

Bardok and Helène stop to examine the marks, quickly discovering that Flitch had simply copied the same message here, probably as a failsafe, but in so doing, are able to confirm some ambiguities from the original message, allowing them to share their insights with the whole party, taking a few minutes to describe the major landmarks depicted, the direction changes those landmarks are supposed to signify, as well as what a few "red herring" marking would look like which are meant to designate a false path.

All PCs now gain the +1 circumstance bonus to Navigate or Aid Navigation to Sewer Hideout.

Exchanging a knowing glance, after his pep talk with Bardok and Helène, Apollon takes up the lead, knowingly determining by the size and arrangement of various sewage pipes, whether, in a general sense, a certain pathway would lead "deeper" into the system, or "shallower" more back towards the surface, minding the landmarks that arise, and taking the proper corridors at their direction, while ignoring the markings meant to fool lesser stalkers down foiling passages.

Flitch's trail leads to a small maintenance chamber, where he has set up a humble campsite. His wholesome face is covered by a face mask, and accented by dark hair and a single curl dangling over his forehead, which he brushes aside upon watching the party enter. Quickly scanning your faces, he instinctively moves to draw his dagger, and you get the general sense that he feels backed into a corner, and is ready to defend himself at all costs!

(◆) Flitch Interacts to Draw his dagger
(◆◆) He Readies a Strike against the first PC to come near to him

...

GM Screen:

Exploring
Apollon Zamp to Navigate (Survival) @ 16+1
Bardok Marsh to Investigate (Society): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Helène Yolescu to Investigate (Society): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Encountering Flitch
Apollon Zamp to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Bardok Marsh to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Helène Yolescu to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Imiriax to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Rose Thesar to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Xue Kunsheng to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Vs
Flitch to Initiative (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

...

The PCs are Up!


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Humble measure spreads his hands wide, making sure not to approach.

Flitch, we're friends. We are visiting you because your uncle’s been asking about your slippers.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng keeps back, letting the more polished elf speak.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène likewise puts her hands up, and makes just the slightest effort to let her old Varisian accent cut through her voice, just like Guaril's. "What my friend her said. We're here to provide the service you negotiated with our mutual acquaintance. He's sorry that he could not be here himself."

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok raises his hands non-threateningly. "Woah there! You don't want to be stabbing your best bet out of here, do you? We're here on our mutual friend's behalf, he said you might not take kindly to seeing someone else here. Why don't you put the knife down and we'll talk this out?"

(◆) Draw wayfinder of rescue and display it.
(◆) Diplomacy (Request - lower weapon and talk): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
(◆) Move 25 feet closer to Flitch.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Into the Sewers (Part Three)

Kunsheng notices that Apollon's mention of the "slippers" amazingly nearly spurns the poor halfling's paranoia just a little further, when suddenly Helène's calm and measured voice lends unwavering reassurance to the party's words, and sense returns to his eyes. He lowers his dagger as Bardok approaches, staring at the wayfinder, and apologizes.

"Been going stir crazy down here!" He shares, lowering his mask "Stinks only a little less in here, too." He remarks, noticing the party's lack of nose coverings, lifting his eyebrows in subdued astonishment. As he sizes each one of you up, you can see he starts to put the puzzle together "Her Mistress has eyes and ears all over the city - you can never be too careful." As the PCs explain how Guaril's cover was blown, hence the need to send them in his stead. He nods.

Flitch then produces a set a papers bound and wrapped with a leader chord, handing them to Helène "I drew these up to help get through Customs." He proudly declares, when suddenly he seems to remember something that was also important! He produces a satchel filled with some heft of objects "Seeing as I'm off to my new life, I probably won't be needing most of these anymore, as besides, I'm more than positive you'll need all the help you can get, what with Vurna being ill and all..." Another piece falling into place, he suddenly looks behind the PCs, back down the tunnel, as if expecting to see something or someone "She ain't here! Don't tell me you came to me FIRST!" He shakes his head "Aw dear" Cursing and kicking a rock impatiently...

Helène has Flitch Napovic's ID papers for safe-keeping.
In the satchel (one treasure bundle) are the following items (1.2 Bulk altogether): a disguise kit (L), a repair kit (B), and a minor healing potion (L).

...

DM Screen:

Getting Flitch's Trust
Apollon Zamp to Make an Impression (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 4 = 15
Bardok Marsh to Request (Diplomacy) @ 26
Helène Yolescu to Make an Impression (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Xue Kunsheng to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Mentioning Guaril's Notes (see Slide 7) grants a +4 circumstance bonus to Make an Impression (Diplomacy) checks with Flitch.

...

0) Questions for Flitch?
1) What is the plan now?
2) How are the gifted items being distributed?
3) Assuming the plan also includes leaving, who is leading Navigation both through the Sewers and Above Ground, and how are folks supporting the party with their Exploration Mode Activities?


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Doc's training & abilities haven't allowed him to contribute much but light. His bombs and mutagens have been available in his bandolier, but his melee weapons have remained stowed; he's been quietly following, and doing what he can toward the party's safety.

He hangs back and quietly works to assess potential threats from the surrounding sewers.

(◆) Seek for creatures approaching in response to the commotion
(◆) Step to a position that improves my ability to protect the party from threats approaching the maintenance chamber
(◆) Command familiar to Seek the same area as myself, and farther out (on the theory that the little guy's low-light vision & perception keyed to my Int might give him a better chance of finding such a threat)

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok raises an eyebrow. ”What do you mean? Who is ill, and with what sickness? Why is it bad we came here first?”

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène takes the ID papers and carefully secures them in her backpacks. Things seem to be going smoothly, until Filch starts cursing. "Wait, wait..." she tries to calm him down.

"We came to you first, because you were supposed to show us how to get to the boat," she explains. Shard Cove, actually. But he should know that. "Why is it so bad that we would get you first? And indeed, who is this Vurna you speak of? Why would you know names of any other clients, anyhow?"

I think the plan would highly depend on the answers Filtch gives us. I'd like a little more info before we decide on our next steps.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Zamp nods in agreement with Helène and Bardok. He notes to himself that he'd like to examine these papers that Flitch "generated" more closely when they have more time, and when Flitch is less agitated.

Flitch. I am trained in medicine, anatomy, and healing. I assure you that dragging a sick person like Vurna into vermin-infested sewers is a terrible idea. He takes out a scented handkerchief as he speaks, pressing it below his nose.

How long is it to curfew now, and how far away is Vurna? We can go there next, and perhaps you can accompany us out of this wretched place. I vote we see Vurna next.

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng adds, "I am a skilled healer, as well. If Vurna needs treatment before she can be moved, I can provide it."


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Into the Sewers (Part Four)

A little cross now "That's exactly my point! How am I going to show you how to get to the boat if you aren't at all ready to go!?" Adding "I paid my dues - far as we're concerned, you and me we're square!" and answering "YOU are all supposed to pick up Vurna and her pops from the Rockfish Inn First, and the others, Then we are supposed to meet - gah! - Don't you all have a Plan!?" Flitch is visibly upset, and you get the sense that being cooped up in the sewers a few days, only to be implied that it'll be a few more days, fanning the background tension of committing this crime against the state, has set him more than a bit on edge.

He curses some more and kicks another rock at the wall...

Flitch, though upset, will probably do as the party requests. He prefers to stay in his Hideout, feeling safest here, but can be plied from his stubbornness with a DC 15 Request skill check.

Sense Motive DC 20:

If "forced" to come along, he will probably complain all the way...

PCs are welcome to attempt the Sense Motive (Perception) check above, uncovering the spoiler on a success.

...

0) Questions for Flitch?
1) What is the plan now?
2) How are the gifted items being distributed?
3) Assuming the plan also includes leaving, who is leading Navigation both through the Sewers and Above Ground, and how are folks supporting the party with their Exploration Mode Activities?


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Humble Measure flinches at Flitch's rage, as if fearful. I can see the breadth of your genius, and how quickly you will rise through Guaril's ranks. Who else would think to send his sick friend straight into the sewers, where none would dare look? None would expect it! Clearly, not all is lost since we came here first: we have been able to learn what an asset your tactical acumen will be.

Deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Zamp would like his words to seem like flattery, but they have another meaning: that the breadth of Flitch's genius is nonexistent, that he will flounder among Guaril's ranks, that his idea to send his sick friend to the sewers is inane, and that we have learned he will NOT be an asset to our group. Zamp will let someone else make the request if they want, maybe buttering him up with fake flattery will help. To my knowledge, we weren't told to go to the inn first, so Flitch's antics are really annoying Zamp.

Exploration mode remains the same. I'd like tho let the Thassalon Lore expert lead the way to the next place.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Perception (Sense Motive): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Bardok sighs. "Plans change, Flitch. We planned to meet you somewhere that didn't smell like fecal matter beyond the reach of time. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches." He turns to his fellow Pathfinders. "My guess is this guy is going to whine all the way if we bring him with us. Why don't we leave him here for now and scoop him up again the day the first ship arrives?"

He sifts through Flitch's satchel and grabs the disguise kit. "I can probably use this. Let me know who wants these other resources."

Bardok thinks for a moment. "I think our best plan would be to leave him here until we're ready to go. We can check in on Vurna next, see if Kunsheng can patch her up enough to get out of here. Still leaves us with how we get through the night, though; curfew is in a few hours. Does it make sense to scope out the rest of these sewers to see if it's safe to sleep here, or should we take our chances in the city?"

Unless the party feels strongly about another plan, I recommend our plan should be 1) Check to see if this area of sewers is suitable to resting and waiting out the curfew for the first night, 2) If time allows, go the Vurna at the Rockfish Inn (Navigation check below for when we're back above ground). Someone else should take the lead on the Survival check to Navigate the sewers. @GM: Bardok will grab the disguise kit.

Perception (search sewer; only if party decides to wait out the curfew here): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Thassilonian Lore (Navigate Above Ground, Lead): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng clears his throat. "Master Flitch, when we were at your home someone came by, looking for 'Uncle Frallino.' Is this a problem?"

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

Imiriax feels a bit useless standing in the sewer, a far cry from the Academy in Oppara. He smoothes Anton's ruffled feathers and listens to the interplay between the agitated halfling and his companions.
This is not at all how I pictured the heroics of the Pathfinder Society. Thank the gods for prestidigitation.

"Do we know the way to the Rockfish Inn? It might help to get directions from Flitch."


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Perception, for Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Not much chance, but curiosity compelled me to try.

I am skilled in the use of that repair kit, if the need were to arise. Doc answers Bardok in his native Thassilonian, pointing toward it for the benefit of those who might not comprehend, but refraining from taking it outright until he sees it is uncontested.

Regarding time, does the clock reflect our consensus that Bardok, who seemed to know the way, took the lead when Orris confessed ignorance? Orris thought to himself whether he knew the way, and then stated that he seemed not to, and my intent when writing was that he left the discussion open as to who would lead.

Orris is firmly in his footman mindset, ready to act when directed but not of any strong opinion regarding what the plan should be.

Perception; command to familiar, but only if party decides to camp underground, to search for a suitable campsite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Thassilon Lore to Investigate while we travel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Helène note that Zamp would like to inspect the papers. However, his words to Filtch makes her wait until a later point. For now, she hopes he hasn't put Filtch even more on edge. "You have to understand from our perspective. We weren't even sure that you'd still be safe, and that we could find you. That could have jeapordized all of you." She gives him an empathic look. "We understand that this must be very difficult - and stressful to you - but we'd ask that you stay here just a while longer. Two more days, and we'll come pick you up. All right?"

Both Bardok and Zamp have a better Diplomacy than Helène does, but they didn't attempt the check.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

As they're discussing, Helène checks out the iteme Filtch provided them with. "I'll take the potion if you don't mind." She smiles as she adds "I have a tendency of getting in the way when bad guys try to beat us up."

--

Helène doesn't seem to happy with Bardok's plan to wait out the night in the sewer. "Really. We want to stay here longer than necessary? I'd say we try to find an inn, first opportunity we get. For one, it'll mean we stay tomorrow clean and well-rested. Also, it mighty avoid some odd questions later about where we stayed our first night." She thinks of one other thing. "I'm fine with checking up on Yuleg and Vulva next, but I don't think we should stay at their inn. Thay might be a connection that could haunt them - or us - at an ill moment. Any other inn will do, really."

[ooc]In the sewers, Helène will Search (+4) for her exploration activity. Above ground, she'll Investigate using Society (+5).


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Trouble at Rockfish Inn (Part One)

Doc puts the repair kit into his pack.
Helène pockets the lesser healing potion.
Bardok stows the disguise kit on his person.

Though clearly still edgy, his nerves fried to numbness, Zamp's "flattery" paves the way for Helène's calming demeanor to redirect his attentions towards the continual line of beratement and questioning "What did they look like?" Flitch asks Kunsheng. After the PCs describe the neighbor, he confirms that she is just that - a nosy neighbor, which frankly is pretty common in his borough. "I'm surprised you didn't rouse the whole block!" He reflects.

Flitch agrees to remain in his Hideout, and wait two days, per Helène's promise, and before the PCs leave, he comments "I hope you all can swim" which comes off feeling like more of a suggestion or warning than a comment. The mention of which stirs Dr. Orris's imagination, as he reflects on childhood memories of swimming in Shard Cove...

Kunsheng navigates competently through the sewers, and along the way, Marcel (Doc's snail familiar) slicks curiously into a side tunnel, yelling (!) out to Dr. Duftwurtz that it's made a discovery - the corpse of a scavenger picked apart by rats, leaving behind only a useable shield and a sack of coins...

The scavenger has a low-grade silver shield and 25 silver coins (one treasure bundle)

...Emerging from the sewer, the lead changes hands, and Bardok, sensing the incoming curfew in observing the behavior patterns of merchants packing up their wares, last-minute customers bargaining for end-of-day deals, mothers yelling at children in the streets, the smell of suppers wafting through windows, some of those windows being closed, etc, focuses hard on the task of safe yet expedient travel through the city. Spotting a checkpoint up ahead, he takes cover behind a passing wagon, the party sticking close, shadowing it across the main street to what first appears to be a cul-de-sac... Until Helène spots a drain, and not wanting to tarry with the guards, the party slips once again into the sewers for about two blocks, before re-emerging on the other side, bypassing their scrutiny, and arriving to Rockfish Inn with time to spare!

Time: 4:00pm, Day One, 1 hour until curfew

...

Dr. Orris:

As you investigate while being lead through the sewer, you peek through a crack, and looking down, see a thin waterway leading the opposite direction - but too narrow to travel down - and remember being bit by a Reefclaw (a toothy fish) when you were little, your caregiver having treated the venom from the bite which nearly killed you, causing you to feel so weak you had a hard time moving your limbs...

Rose, Dubiously:

As you investigate while being lead through the sewer, you peek through a crack, and looking down, see a thin waterway leading the opposite direction - but too narrow to travel down - and spot what you think to be a Reefclaw (a toothy fish), which you know to be the favorite food of Great White Sharks!

Medicine (Trained) DC 15; Automatic success if Expert:

The scavenger died of Filth Fever.

Anyone trained in Medicine is free to attempt the check above, opening the spoiler on a success.

...

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Lie (Deception) @ 25
Bardok Marsh to Search (Perception) @ 17
Bardok Marsh to Navigate (Thassilon Lore) @ 26+1
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Investigate: 1d20 ⇒ 17
Marcel (Doc's Snail Familiar) to Search (Perception) @ 18 = (14 rolled + 1 level + 3 INT)
Helène Yolescu to Request (Diplomacy) @ 24+1
Helène Yolescu to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Rose Thesar to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Xue Kunsheng to Navigate (Survival): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Apollon's "flattery" succeeds in Aiding Helène's Request, granting a +1 circumstance bonus. (It's subtext cruelly flying right over the halfing's head...)

Helène's spotting of the drain granting a +1 circumstance bonus to Aid Bardok's Navigation check.

...

Exploration in the City of Xin (Reminder):

When arriving to a new scene, you have three options to communicate to me how your character interacts with their environment, filtered through the game's Exploration Mode Activities:

1) Post your "default" mode in your Character Bar.
2) Post your new mode in the thread upon arriving, or before entering, a new scene.
3) Describe generally how your character interacts with their environment - I will choose the "mode" for you based off of that description (if needed).

I am preferencial to a combination of #1 and #3, but want to remain flexible too. Again, if you have questions, PM me or Discussion thread.

All this to say...

Upon arriving at what you believe to be Rockfish Inn (with an hour to "spare"), what do your characters do?

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Medicine (Craft) check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Kunsheng examines the body with trained hands and eyes. "It looks like they died of filth fever. I think it can be carried by rats--watch out for them. I have a pair of elixirs that will help, if you think you've been exposed."

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok nods at Helène's objection. "Fair enough. Not about to fight hard to sleep in a cesspool. Let's get to the inn and figure out our plan from there."

***

Having reached the inn, Bardok begins looking around for the sick Vurna. "Filth fever, eh Kunsheng? Is it contagious? Maybe that's what's afflicting our friend here."

Investigate exploration activity, per usual.

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

Medicine: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

"We should do something for this man," says Imiriax. "No one should rot with a sewer for a grave, no matter what they were in life."

GM, is there any safe way to move the corpse? And have we seen a place where he might be buried?

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

"Does he often have a nose for shinies, Doc?" Helène comments when his snake leads them to the scavenger's corpse. She's careful after hearing Kunsheng's explanation of the man's cause of death and picks up the shield. "That's a nice shield, with a bit of polishing. Could be a worthwhile memento..." She checks to make sure that the shield doesn't have any particular imagery or markings that could lead to trouble. "Does anyone want it, otherwise I'll carry it. Might even come in handy in a pinch." My new magic usually does the trick of protecting me, but you can never be too careful in a city like this.

She nods her head from side to side while considering Imiriax's words. "You're a kind man to think of such things. But I would strongly advice against being seen hauling a corpse around." There's a wry smile as she imagines the ramifications. "I'm not a very religious person by nature, but could say a few words on his behalf." She looks around the group looking for someone more suitable. Nope...

--

The Varisian woman compliments the team as they make it to the Blackrock Inn with just a bit of time to spare. "Well done, team. Let's see what we can find here." Upholding their guise as merchants, she informs whether there will be rooms available for the next few days, until their permit expires. After a well-needed break to freshen up, she'll hit the common room for food and drinks. While eating she makes small-talk with the waitress and some of the other patrons, hoping to catch some gossip concerning the property, its owners, and perhaps other pertinent news from the street.

Using Diplomacy to Gather Information.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Ever pragmatic, Zamp nods in agreement about leaving the corpse rest where it is.

Zamp follows the lead here, letting Helène take the lead in interacting with the inkeep.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Trouble at Rockfish Inn (Part Two)

Helène stows the silver shield.

A sturdily built stone building with a meticulously thatched roof is marked by a hand-carved wooden sign with silver inlays that declare the building to be The Rockfish Inn.

At first, Yuleg is reluctant to open the door, but the party is more persistent than the usual "just before curfew" crowd, who after a few knocks, would merely proceed down the block further to the next inn, seeing as it's not quite "time" yet. So, he shifts his tactic to peeking out through the hole in the door, but unfortunately for him, realizes that the party sees him seeing them. Oh dear! He unlocks the bolted lock and opens the door, but just a crack, speaking through it, a kind but cautious expression half visible on his bearded face.

"Sorry, we're full!" Glancing at each party member through his thick glasses "But I can sell you some fresh fish through the door - half price - otherwise I'm sure Gustavo's Garden Hostel about three short blocks south could accommodate your company properly - they charge less anyhow." Hoping to shoo you away with his words.

Sense Motive (Perception) beating DC 15:

He is lying about them being "full" - in fact you get the feeling that the very opposite is true!

Sense Motive (Perception) beating DC 20:

Despite maintaining a business-like facade, you detect that beneath it he feels very worried or distraught. And not at your presence, rather, something else unrelated to this interaction. Tugging at him from beneath the surface.

Sense Motive (Perception) beating DC 25:

Compounding all of that, he seems to be looking over the party, as if expectant, and furthermore anxious, to meet with someone else?

PCs are free to attempt this single check, uncovering the spoiler for each tier of success.

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Bardok Marsh to Investigate (varies): 1d20 ⇒ 19

Player Notes:

Imiriax,
Though your corpse idea seems unpopular, you are free to carry it over your shoulder, and roll an independent City Navigation (Society) check to get to Rockfish, as certainly carrying around a dead body would slow you down a bit, as well as raise additional suspicion. Know that you would risk additional scrutiny, abstracted as a second Stealth or Decepetion check with negative consequences for failure, if you wanted to thoroughly commit to this plan.
And, conducting a proper burial would be measured over hours than tens of minutes, if a simple word of prayer is insufficient.
Let me know what you decide.

Players,
Those that made die rolls, I am nesting those until (probably) the next scene - hang tight!

Apollon:

Casually inspecting the inn before going up to knock, you spot a stable round back, and hear horses, but would need to take a closer look to make a determination as to the state of those horses, as well as their exact number.

Bardok:

Casually inspecting the Architecture before going up to knock, you spot a stable round back, with a wagon partially sticking out from under a covering. You are unsure from here it's state of repair, and would need to get a closer look to make that determination - but could probably infer from the state of the inn that it would be out-of-place if the wagon wasn't similarly maintained?

...

1) How does the party respond to Yuleg?
2) For some of you, it is still unclear what your exploration activity is - I'll ask again that you consider setting a default in your Character Bar if you don't want to bother posting it between locations etc. Again, reach out to me via PM or Discussion if you'd like support in this.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

@GM: Note that Bardok uses his Deception DC rather than his Perception if Yulek is trying to Lie to him, thanks to his Lie to Me feat.

Perception (Sense Motive): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 Change to +9 modifier if detecting a Lie, for a result of 14.

Bardok reaches out. "We're here to see Vurna. We heard from a mutual friend that she isn't doing so well and we wanted to check up on her, see if we could help. We have some important info for her concerning her future, too."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Bardok also looks around back to try to get a closer look at the wagon.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

Society (city navigation): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Imiriax smiles at Helène. "Then I suppose I'll have to be careful." He wraps his hands and face in strips from a spare shirt, then drags the corpse to the exit, lifting it up into the light.

"I'll try to meet up with you later," he says.

Imiriax finds a burial place (preferably a cemetery) and buries the body as properly as he can, saying a prayer to Pharasma for the spirit of the departed. He then heads off into the city, but promptly gets lost.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Sense Motive (Perception) check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Already floundering in a culture not his own, Kunsheng is even less clear on the behavioral cues exhibited by humans of millennia past.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Sense motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 Zamp also has Lie to Me, so this is a +7

I understand there might not be room for everyone — bars and inns often display a "right to refuse service for any reason" sign prominently. But what about friends of Vurna's and Flitch's? Are even friends even to be turned away in this accursed city? Does envy spread so deep?

Zamp looks around. And where's Imiriax? He looks pleadingly at the door. Our friend Imiriax told us he'd meet us here! If we must go elsewhere, he will be lost in this horrible city, stuck alone after curfew! I appeal to your better nature, inkeep!

Di[plomacy if needed, in case that 25 wasn;t enbough:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Trouble at Rockfish Inn (Part Three)

PCs are welcome to use any Lie to Me bonus against this scenario's Sense Motive checks, yes, as suggested.

Yuleg, at the mention of his daughter and that ne'er-do-well-halfling's name, pausing a moment of consideration, decides to open the door. "Hurry along now! Not trying to make a big fuss about it." Closing the door he ushers in the PCs away from the main dining area (with all the windows) and into the large pantry, packed with several human-sized barrels smelling of pickled fish which now surround you. An unlit torch adorns the wall, and the dwarf lights it. He speaks low "I was expecting Guaril, because I have unfortunate news, you see, Vurna's condition hasn't been stable these past days, and so I'm afraid I have to back out. You may of course stay the night here, free of charge, but in the morning, I will politely ask you to make your way, carrying my apologies to your superiors." His tone is very matter-of-fact.

...

Imiriax's sidequest:

The coast is clear when Imiriax emerges from the sewers, promising to meet up with his party later, even as they tried to talk him out of it. A bunch of rogues, or worse: Men of science. How could they understand? Swearing fealty only to their next job or discovery. But this a matter of spirit.

The strange transmuter gathered his wits. If he were designing a city, he wouldn't plan it's graveyard too near a city sewer system, as in the least, that would be a health disaster waiting to happen. That said, knowing where Not To Go is different than knowing where To Go - he chooses a direction, sneaking his way through unknown neighborhoods a couple of hours before finally coming upon two realizations himself. One, that this curfew had officially begun some several minutes ago, and two, that he found himself in a district that contained the ruins of several churches. And nearby one of those? An old graveyard!

The people buried here could have been his great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent's friends. Who knows?

Looking around, Imiriax spots an empty "plot" flanked between a very rich man's grave - judging by the size of the headstone - and a modest yew tree. The earth is supple enough here. If only he had brought something to dig with...

...

Player Notes
A short conversation with Yuleg reveals the source of his behavior: His beloved daughter, Vurna, is terribly sick, and cannot be moved from her bed.

PCs can attempt to Request (Diplomacy) DC 15 to convince Yuleg to allow them to witness her condition. As he is very cautious, perhaps overbearing when under duress, he will only "allow" One PC to attend to her at a time per successful Request check. Of course, though he is physically strong, he is no adventurer, and a PC may similarly push past him with a Shove (Athletics) DC 15 skill check as well. However, if a second PC tries this, he will threaten to turn them into the authorities!

...

Crafting DC 10; if Trained automatic success:

The large barrels could likely be lashed together to create a flotation device.

Crafting (Trained) DC 15; if Expert automatic success:

With a single day's work (8 hours) and a success, it could hold up to four medium-sized persons. With a second success and a second days work - or a critical success with the first day's work - it could hold more persons.

PCs may attempt a single check above, comparing their result to any met DCs (or Proficiency level).

...

Legal Lore (Trained) DC 15:

His "threat" to call the authorities is probably an empty one. He'd incriminate himself!

Sense Motive (Perception) DC 15:

His "threat" to call the authorities is an empty one. He'd probably incriminate himself!

PCs are allowed to make each check above if Trained.

...

Any PC who is "allowed" (or, who successfully pushes through) to see Vurna may make a single check below, comparing their result to any met DC:

Medicine DC 10; if Trained automatic success:

She has contracted Filth Fever, Stage 3.

Medicine (Trained) DC 15; if Expert automatic success:

A PC who spends a day's work (8 hours) can, with a success to Treat Disease (Medicine) against the disease's DC, reduce her Stage by one (or two with a critical success).

...

PCs who want to get a closer look at the wagon and horses around back may make the following skill checks, each:

Crafting DC 10; if Trained automatic success:

The Wagon is in good repair.

Nature DC 10; if Trained automatic success:

There are 3 Horses in good health.

...

In lieu of spending their last non-curfew hour arguing with Yuleg - thus refraining from making all checks above - an enterprising PC may instead spend their last non-curfew hour in the pub across the way, asking the locals about various other locations in the city. As the curfew is differentiated for "nationals" and "tourists", an especially enterprising PC may extend their stay an additional hour to lower the DC by 5, but in so doing, risk unwanted attention (abstracted with a followup Deception or Stealth check with negative consequences).

Gather Information (Diplomacy) 25:

Choose One:

-Select an NPC (see slides 4, 7, or 8) and gain a +1 insight bonus to all future Deception, Diplomacy, Intimidation, or Sense Motive (Perception) checks them.

or

-Select a Location (see slide 5) and gain an automatic improvement to Navigation check results whenever you are the leader to that location.

...

Players,
What follows is about an 8-hour period of shelter in place (Downtime), followed by 8 hours of night (Rest), followed by morning, and another 8 business hours (Day Two). This is a cycle that will repeat for each full day of this Scenario (8 day, 8 curfew, 8 night). We will track the party's progress on slide 6. (You can click the link on my avatar to access the slides).

I'm going to let this post sit an extra day - I recommend that you make at most two checks at a time per post, see how your fellow players are doing, maybe make another check, or other exchange / coordination, as well as try to formulate a plan for Day Two. (Of course, you are also welcome to ignore my advice, and do as you please!)

Imiriax,
It's not a matter of if you will arrive back at the Inn, but when and how, whose outcomes are determined essentially by how thoroughly you want to set that sewer scavenger's body to rest, what ideas you may have about solving your no shovel problem, as well as another City Navigation (Society) and Evade Curfew Enforcement (Deception or Stealth) roll each; the latter with negative consequences for failure.

...

Final Word,
I trust you all to take small liberties with the narrative if doing so would allow you to move forward with a substantive post. If any of these would be incongruous with the Scenario's overall trajectory, I will intervene to right the ship. So have at it?

See you on the Flipside!

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène puts a hand on Imiriax's shoulder when it's clear that he will not put the matter to rest. She's not happy with his decision, but understands that a person's consciounce should be followed in these matters. "In that case, do what you must. Take care."

--

Helène follows into the pantry when the others persuade Yuleg to let them in. So far, so good. Her eyes linger on the barrels in the corner. What was it Flitch said about swimming? These might come in handy...

She smoothly steps up to Yuril when he mentions his daughter's condition. "I am so sorry to hear that she is not well. But maybe we can do something for her?" She doesn't want to appear to be pushing the issue. "If you decide that you don't want to go, that is your right of course." Guaril won't be happy with that, but let's see if we can at least postpone his final decision for a bit. "But we are here now. And I can assure you that my colleague," - she points at Kunsheng - "is a very accomplished physician. He's too modest to make the claim for himself, but I really think she might benefit from his expertise. Besides, what could be the harm in him simply taking a look at your daughter's condition?"

--

Crafting Trained: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Request, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

It's tempting to Gather Information with these last hours, but Helène realizes that there's good work to be done here and that it might influence whether they can bring Yuleg and Vurna at all. This means she'll stay and do what needs to be done here.

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok sees that Helène seems to have the Yuleg situation under control. "Kunsheng knows his stuff. Let him take a look at your daughter, I'm sure he'll have her right as rain before your big day."

Crafting (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 Any crit benefit for the first Crafting spoiler?

He takes a note of the barrels, then works his way to the back where he first saw the wagon.

Crafting (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Nature (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Scoping out the inn, the sorcerer discretely makes his way over to Dr. Duftwurtz. "We've got three strong horses, an intact wagon, and some barrels. Any chance you might be able to use some of our state-mandated indoors time to rig those barrels together into some kind of floatation device? We can use the horses and wagon to move it someplace away from prying eyes. Might give us an out-of-the-way place to keep any refugees we can't evacuate on the first ship until the Merry Mayfly arrives."

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Crafting (Trained): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Clearly Kunsheng hasn't done a lot of construction work....

The Tien-Shu waits patiently for access to the patient.

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

"Iris Blush" stays to the back of the group as they break into the house, not quite finding her voice and not trusting 'Iris' to be what people see and not 'Rose'.

Her worries continue as they go through the sewers and meet Flitch. She barely says anything and avoids getting into the spotlight too much.

As they duck into the sewers again she finally spots something unusual and stops pointing. "Honeie.... Everyon.... Dears? There's definitely some fish that might be bad news down here. See that over there. That, Sweeties, is a Reefclaw, a rather toothy fish and the favorite food of Great White Sharks, which may mean there are some down here, and we should avoid going into or too close to the waters here... Not that I'd recommend going in in the first place!"

==========

In the tavern, 'Iris' finally realxes some, touching up her makeup in a mirror before turning to look at Yuleg. "Sorry for the abrupt, well, interruption. I know we are not the man you were planning on meeting, but we come with his blessing and many of us at his request. Now before wesay for certain that you can't go may we take a look at your daughter? I have a little medical training" so that I can patch myself up if I have to "And might be able to help her or at least see what is wrong with her."

Diplomacy, Request (trained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

'Iris' moves up into the room where Vurna is and gives a frown as they walk in. "Filth Fever, and a fairly advanced stage of it too. She hasn't been in the sewers or around rats recently has she? Poor dear, this must be highly unpleasant. I had a bought of it once and it was terrible, the fever, shakes and chills. Not to mention how it makes everything around you smell terrible. I know we can't open the outside windows but can we get some air flow in here? Though she is certainly in no condition to be moving now..."

Medicine (Trained): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Since we have two successes on the Diplomacy check, two of us can examine Vurna.

Kunsheng follows Iris up the stairs, the familiar smell of a sickroom rousing memories of his training. He nods at the half-elf's diagnosis. "It may be endemic...that was what the unfortunate person outside died of." He unpacks his tools, along with a small vial, before treating the patient further, then pours the contents of the vial, only a few milliliters of liquid, into the girl's mouth. "This will take some time."

Crafting (Medicine) check, trained: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

The vial contains a lesser antiplague elixir, which will give her a +2 item bonus to Fortitude saves vs. disease, including the daily save against a disease's progression.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Zamp waits to see what everyone else is doing before lending his skills where needed.

With Xue and Rose upstairs helping out, Zamp helps rig up floatation devices.

Craft Barrels (T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

This is Zamp's 8-hour activity. He would like to use the other 8 to rest.

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search
DM Rainzax wrote:

Imiriax,

It's not a matter of if you will arrive back at the Inn, but when and how, whose outcomes are determined essentially by how thoroughly you want to set that sewer scavenger's body to rest, what ideas you may have about solving your no shovel problem, as well as another City Navigation (Society) and Evade Curfew Enforcement (Deception or Stealth) roll each; the latter with negative consequences for failure.

Imiriax is a good man, but not a fanatic. He's not going to jail (or worse) over this.

"Go keep watch" he says to Anton, his raven familiar. "Make a ruckus if anyone is headed this way."

Meanwhile, the wizard sneaks over to the Caretaker's shed and finds a shovel.

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Eh. It's a graveyard. It's probably not that well guarded.

Returning to the grave, he buries the body. Before throwing on the dirt, he says a short prayer and sprinkles the body with holy water.

Athletics?: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Stealth?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Religion?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Assuming he's not dead or arrested yet, he then tries to make his way back through the strange city. Along the way, he admires the amazing Thassilonian architecture and makes mental notes comparing it to Azlanti ruins he's seen in Andoran. This way his chronicles won't be a complete waste of time.

Society?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Architecture Lore: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Sense motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

"Good thinking on the barrels, Bardok. Let me know if you need any help." While Iris and Kunsheng are working on Vulna, she takes Yuleg aside. "We are one more colleague with us. He's running a bit late, it seems." She's worried, but tries not to let it show. "His name is Imiriax; human, dark-haired. Wizardly fellow with a raven familiar. If he shows up, will you let him in at once?"

After checking in with Iris and Kunsheng and seeing that they're doing all that they can, Helène most to assist Zamp on the flotation device.

--

Helène will spend her remaining 8 hours to assist on the rig. Then she'll rest for 8 hours.
Craft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Rose doesn't seem to sense anything unusual about the inn keeper.

She looks over at Kunsheng as he confirms her diagnoses and then expounds upon it further. "Right then, I'll be your assistant! Should we get to working on treating her? Any supplies or things you need? Some alcohol to flush the wounds and help keep her new bandages from festering? Some herbs that might be available in the kitchens?"

Not sure if more than one PC can try the medicine check. I'd rather avoid the Aid action as the DC for that is probably higher than the straight Treat Disease check would be, but Xue has a better chance period. I'll roll just in case.
Treat Disease (Medicine; trained) Disregard if only one PC can try at a time: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Progress Check:

1) Helène convinces Yuleg to let Kunsheng tend to Vurna (10 minutes)
2) Helène appraises the flotation device project (10 minutes)
3) Bardok appraises the flotation device project (10 minutes)
4) Bardok appraises the Wagon and Horses around back (10 minutes)
5) Kunsheng appraises the flotation device project (10 minutes)
6) Rose convinces Yuleg to let herself tend to Vurna (10 minutes)
7) Rose gets to work on treating Vurna's illness (8 hours Downtime)
8) Kunsheng gets to work on treating Vurna's illness (8 hours Downtime)
9) Apollon gets to work on creating the flotation device (8 hours Downtime)
10) Imiriax burries the scavenger and begins making his way to Rockfish (8 hours Downtime)
11) Helène gets to work on creating the flotation device (8 hours Downtime)
12) Rose gets to work on treating Vurna's illness (8 hours Downtime)[/ooc]

A quick summary, short knowing what's up (with) Doc, the two projects are underway, and will likely remain at stages of partial completion by the morning. Imiriax still hasn't returned by the time the PCs are nearly ready for bed. Full updates forthcoming once Dr. Orris weighs in...

...

That said, with that rough estimation, what is the talk about the plan for tomorrow?

1) Stay and finish the projects?
2) Go somewhere else?
3) Where?

PCs are free to roll their Navigation or Aid Navigation checks to, as well as make daily preparations, as the plan becomes decided. (Remember you can Favorite other posts if you agree with the courses of proposed action they outline or imply).

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok would want to try to return here to finish any incomplete projects after curfew the next day, but otherwise seek out the main person Guaril wants. Themolin? Bardok would navigate to him.

Thassilon Lore (navigate): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Zamp nods in agreement. the accountant sounds good to me.


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Doc looks at the barrels: Craft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Not much of an improvised-raft nautical background, I guess.

Doc quietly floats the idea that he is happy to contribute to the young lady's recovery, either by assisting or contributing alchemical resources or effort, but leaves it to better diplomats than himself to convince the patient's father to allow him access.

"My tools and reagents, and any expertise I can bring to the table, are on offer I have an opportunity to help."

1 to 50 of 493 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / (PFS2) (#1-12) "Burden of Envy" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.