(#1-12) "Burden of Envy" (Inactive)

Game Master rainzax

Swindler, rogue, and occasional Pathfinder ally Guaril Karela has approached the Society with an opportunity that Valais Durant, the leader of the Society's Radiant Oath faction, can't refuse. Guaril has been charging refugees to sneak them out of Xin Edasseril, a city ruled by the Runelord of Envy, and now it looks like Guaril won't be able to fulfill his contracts. Society agents are charged with sneaking into the dangerous city and sneaking out with a handful of its citizens before their absence is noticed so that the Radiant Oath can help them find new lives beyond their current ruler's tyrannical reach.

Slides / Maps > Burden of Envy
Resource > Faction Boons (PDF)
Resource > (GM Numbat's) Org Play PbP intro
Resource > Joining Pathfinder Society: Faction, Training, Network Items, and First Boons
Action Symbols > Single (◆), Double (◆◆), Triple (◆◆◆), Free (◇), Reaction (↺)
Status Symbols > ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status conditions


101 to 150 of 493 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

'Iris' looks at the young woman who at least has fresh bandages on her and streches after having slept on the floor next to Vurna. "Dang, my bed roll might need more padding... Anyways let's get today started!" She pulls out the disguise kit that the group found earlier and makes sure her makeup is on point, be bad for business to look less than presentable without at least 3 proper layers of makeup.

She comes down stairs, her bright sunny eyeshadow creating a good impression of an oblivious sunflower. Grabbing either food from her pack or scrounging something to cook from whatever Yuleg would let her use, 'Iris' munches on breakfast while chewing over what to do with the day. "Dears, why don't we make the most of the third of the day where we aren't supposed to be cooped up indoors? Go and see people, sell some makeup, make sure that makeup isn't tithed as a luxury with their luxuriantly abhorrent taxes and tithes! Now I could see a case to be made for checking that we don't have to pay horrendous taxes on our products first! But my pretty little head's only good for telling you color combos and calculations. Bardok, why don't you guide us?"


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Trouble at Rockfish Inn (Part Four)

...Wiping sweat from his brow, Imiriax throws the last clump of soil over the scavenger's shallow grave with the caretaker's shovel, when suddenly he hears Anton cawing loudly! Not wanting to stick around to find out, he bolts...

...Helène's initial design is rejected by Apollon, who insists the barrels be lashed together in series rather than crosswise, and the two get to sawing, tying, and hammering, while Bardok watches on, stroking his beard. After several hours, the trio decide to "test" the strength by forming a circle, wrapping their contraption around them, and each leaning back to apply their weight to the rig's suspension...

...Rose holds Vurna's head up while Kunsheng peers into her open mouth, bracing her tongue with a makeshift "depressor" that Doc borrowed from the construction project happening in the next room. "Say Aaww" he reflexively asks his barely-consciouss patient. The teams work for several hours before the dwarf leans over in her bed to vomit into a bucket...

...Anton flies over to his master's shoulder while he ducks behind a gravestone. When he is sure there are no more noises nearby, he leaves the graveyard, wandering further through the streets when he comes upon something he remembered marked on the map: the Arcanium Abjurant. "A whole school dedicated to simple protective wards!" the transmuter thinks to himself. Not wanting to push his luck further, he presses on through the night, slinking past no less than two beat patrols, finally coming upon the building with the wooden sign indicating it to be Rockfish Inn, and knocking on the door, is a bit surprised to see Yuleg expectant of his arrival "You must be Imiriax - Helène said you'd be arriving. Quickly! Inside"...

...Yuleg leads Imiriax into the Pantry just in time to see Helène, Apollon, and Bardok fall backwards with a loud crash, exploding their project into so many component bits on the floor. There is an awkward, pained silence. Yuleg's eyebrows frozen in a raised position, Helène and Apollon looking towards the other in shared frustration, Bardok shrugging his shoulders. Yuleg breaks the silence with "Here, I'll make a quick snack" And coming back with four plates of pickled fish, the group eats, before abandoning this project for now to go check up on the other three...

...A couple of splashes of vomit bounce out of the bucket and splash onto Kunsheng's shoes as Yuleg and the rest of the party crowd into Vurna's tiny room. She sits up in bed, looking around. "Where's that Handsome Dog?" She speaks, causing Yuleg to tear up a little bit. "Don't tell me he took My Route and up and left us all here!?" Spoken with what seems to border two strong emotions. She rubs here eyes "Pops is that you? Why is everyone in here staring at me!" She looks around her vicinity, reaches for her street clothes, but decides against it, and instead stands up in her sheet robes, but instantly regrets doing so, a shudder propagating her into nearly throwing up again "Oh my whole body aches..." Before sitting back down in her bed. Dawning now, she looks over at Kunsheng "Sorry about your shoe. And thank you"...

...

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Create Flotation Device (Craft) @ 15
Bardok Marsh to Aid Create Flotation Device (Architecture Lore): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Doc to Aid Treat Disease (Craft): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Helène Yolescu to Create Flotation Device (Craft) @ 7
Rose Thesar to Treat Disease (Medicine) @ 16
Xue Kunsheng to Treat Disease (Medicine) @ 18

Imiriax chance knowledge of Thassilon 1d3 ⇒ 2
1) Financial District
2) Commercial District
3) Industrial District

...

Results:
1) If Imiriax Navigates to the Arcanium Abjurant, his degree automatically improves by one step.
2) The Flotation Device project was a simple failure, but it's component pieces remain fully intact
3) Vurna's Filth Fever has been reduced to Stage 2, and through no additional effort, will reduce again to Stage 1 by the end of tomorrow.
4) The Wagon and Horses provide the party with a means of transporting a large Bulk of objects to a new location, removing any penalty to Navigation checks for so doing.
5) Yuleg and Vurna are Helpful.

...

Next:
0) Questions for Yuleg or Vurna?
1) Where do the PCs want to go? (See slide 5)
2) How do the PCs want to get there? (ex. Bardok navigates, Rose in Business Disguise, etc)
3) What are the PCs preparations for Day Two? (ex. Kunsheng and Doc may switch out their Infused Reagents loads, etc)

Vigilant Seal

2 people marked this as a favorite.
N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

0) "Mind if we return here for curfew until it's time to go? I'd also like another crack at those barrels tonight if you're amenable."
1) Themolin is at the Ministry of Tithes, according to Guaril's missive, so I think we should go there.
2) Bardok will navigate (result posted above).
3) No special change to Bardok's preparations, I don't think.

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

Sorry, I'm missing a piece of information. What do you mean when you say that going to the Arcanium Abjurant would increase Imiriax's degree? What's a degree? I missed post, didn't I?

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

I think he means level of success here? You've been there before so if you guide us to the place rolling a failure would make it a success, a success a crit success, perhaps?

'Iris' makes sure that Vurna is okay, has a bucket for 'accidents.' "You okay on your own here for the day, honey? I brought up some broth for you, if you think you can keep that down, and some applesauce in case you can't. Now tell Auntie Iris here all about this Handsome Dog while I help get you washed down."

She comes back downstairs looks over at Yuleg, asking, "There anything been happening in the city recently? Hate to wander into a protest or stick our heads into something that might chop them off."

She then looks at the map, "We should get to the ministry of tithes, first. The person providing the biggest monetary benefit will keep these kinds of operations running for further resuces. After that I want to meet with this Daffrid."

1. Another vote for the Ministry of Tithes
2. Follow Bardok, Rose is going to stay in disguise.
3. Rose doesn't have much she can prepare.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng shakes his head at Rose's first question. "Bandages, no. I see no major wounds, she has not been abed long enough to chafe, and if the disease entered her body through a small wound it will be best to clean it well and let it dry. Her bedding needs changing, though--watch her while I fetch some clean sheets. This task is much easier with two people, na? Then cool cloths to bring down her fever. The elixir I gave her will strengthen her body to resist the disease, so we do what we must to give her the time." Through the evening, the Tien-Shu continues to monitor their patient's condition, and when needed either running errands himself and leaving the half-elf to watch, or vice versa. When Vurna's fever finally breaks, Kunsheng smiles widely; his smile isn't dented by her eructation, and if anything he beams even more. "That is nothing. Why, once when I was assisting Master Chen treating a hydrocele, it...but that is not a story for here and now."

With Vurna on the mend, he bows to Rose. "My thanks. You are a fine healer." He smiles again. "If Heaven wills it, we will neither of us have any need to demonstrate those skills again on this mission!"

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

Blah! Got Vurna mixed up with a different person in a different game that did have open sores!

Rose gives a shake of her head, "Right, of course we don't need bandages. What am I thinking..."

~~~~~~~~
After the hours of helping, Rose watches Vurna puke and is half glad to see her getting better and half glad she wasn't under the spray. She covers this by producing rags and a bucket of clean water and starting to clean up the mess. "My healing skills clearly don't compare to a master apothecarist such as yourself, but yes, I sincerely hope they won't be needed as well."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène wakes in a somber mood, still cross at their lack of result after working on the flotation device. Still, hearing that Vulna is doing better lightens her spirit.

At breakfast, she concurs with the proposal to visit Themolin at the Ministry of Taxes. Hoping to be as prepared as possible, she has some questions for Yuleg. "If we were to go to the Ministry of Taxes, do you have any pertinent information we could use to gain entry? To get an appointment with a tax auditor, perhaps?" Between sips of coffee she adds "Oh, do you know where it's located? Could you mark it on our map?"

2) Disguised as a merchant. If it makes sense, we might try to gain an appointment with Themolin by asking about the way our dealings her will be taxed. We'd rather be safe than sorry and would like some extra guidance in advance. 3) No daily preparations.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Zamp will follow the leads of everyone as Humble Measure. Bardok's plan to go to the accountant seems fine.

Deception (T), Disguise Kit: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 = 21

It would do us good to better understand the taxation and other protocols of this strange city — and who better to instruct us than Themolin, who comes recommended by our "friend?"


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part One)

Yuleg and Vurna are Helpful, meaning they automatically grant reasonable Requests, including using their Inn for the duration of the PC's stay

..."He's a Dog, that Flitch" Vurna shares with Rose. "What more, my pops don't like him one bit." She seems to be conjuring an image in her head, then interrupts herself with "Yeah I probably shouldn't have shown him the Tunnels, and if we're being fair, I probably got worked over good." She makes eye contact with Rose now, snarling her nose a little bit "He's just, ya know, rather Handsome. Couldn't help myself. I understand you met him personally - my pops told me - so: What do you think of him?" Wanting a second opinion...

After some talk, she confirms that there are no Holidays (to her knowledge) today that the party ought worry about

...Yuleg considers Helène's question "Well, you'll definitely need to make an appointment. I mean, it is the Ministry of Tithes after all!" Not satisfied with his answer "I don't know. Since they hold all the power (at least over me they do, what with me having a business and all), ingratiate yourself?" Thinking a bit longer "Then again, you are all in a different circumstance than me"...

He points it out on your map

...

In decent time with Bardok's lead, The Ministry of Tithes is just ahead. A single guard is posted outside the front door, and Doc shares that the last time he was here - to settle the paperwork for his Caravan Company - three things happened. First, he was asked to produce ID Papers at the door by the guard. Second, he was asked by the clerk at the front desk "If he had an appointment?". And third, he noticed the outside of the building's security to be somewhat deceiving - only posting a single guard - because inside the building, there were several more within easy eyeshot.

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Impersonate (Deception) @ 21
Bardok Marsh to Navigate (Thassilon Lore) @ 15
Helène to Impersonate (Deception) @ 1d20+6
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Recall Knowledge (Thassilon Lore): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
...
Rose Thesar to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Apollon Zamp to Search (Perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Bardok Marsh to Investigate (varies): 1d20 ⇒ 15
Doc to ?
Helène Yolescu to ?
Imiriax to ?
Xue Kunsheng to ?

Bardok:

The man who just walked in looks as though he works there. From this distance, it was his manner of walk (brisk, strident), as well as the way he dressed (the "fashion" of the business class, if you will), that clues you in.

...

Dr. Orris Duftwurtz, Helène Yolescu, Imiriax, Xue Kunsheng:

I am unable to honor your Exploration Mode Activities if they are neither posted in your Character Bar, nor communicated in your previous post. Please reach out if you need assistance making this clear so we can transition between scenes in such a way as to grant additional insights or other readinesses to your character.

For examples, check out Apollon's ("Searching"), Bardok's ("Investigate"), or Rose's ("Sneak" or "Search") Character Bars.

PM or Discussion, please.

...

So, what's the plan of approach?

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok would probably want to talk to the front desk about Themolin. We have papers but no appointment. Would Belimarius's savior story from the briefing apply here? Bardok's odds are best with Intimidation to Coerce (maybe enhanced by emulating the employee he just witnessed entering the building), but maybe Diplomacy to Request is the better tack? Thoughts, team?

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Diplomacy to start with, though we may have to pay a bribe.


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Orris's preparation today leaves one slot open for fast alchemy; this means two fewer firebombs ready in the bandolier. He was eager to swap formulas with the other party alchemist while winding down the previous night, if time permitted, and expressed genuine respect for the more-orderly, more-scholastic approach his colleague's training allows, tinged by some rue that his formula development was such a haphazard, emergency effort.

Frontline clerks at hated institutions seem emotionally hardened to intimidation, and are often taken aback when approached with displays of respect for their professional competence and basic humanity. In my experience, being the rare person who makes their job seem worthwhile can sometimes flip a clerk into a proactive mindset regarding some roadblock that we face together. I strongly concur that a diplomatic approach should be our opening strategy.

Society to assist Bardok's face roll by arming him with background info, context, etc. as we prepare: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Diplomacy works. I'm not sure bribing people in a government building will be a good idea, at least not without getting a feeling they are open to that…

Diplomacy check, if needed:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Hero point.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

"Humble Measure" makes sure to note the receptionist's name, and offers to be of as little trouble as possible: "Dacian, I used to work in an office — I know how it is. Themolin comes highly recommended, and I can only imagine how crammed his schedule is. He will appreciate a two-minute chat qith an acquaintance, and fast resolution to our most simple question about the tithes — he'll appreciate this tomorrow, as well, when he can take a longer lunch break and not have to worry about more last-minute appointments!"


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

There seems a fast party consensus for using "Diplomacy" - but what is the Content of what will be said, and by whom? The "reason" for the appointment.

Furthermore, how many people will go in, and what will they do, and those that remain, where will that be, and what will they be doing?

What is "plan B" if "plan A" fails? (And, same questions for that plan...).

...

Dr. Orris's Society checks confirms that this "Diplomacy" tactic could take anywhere from "no time at all" to "all g&+%+&n day"...

Bardok - yes that bonus applies!

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

I think we should try and stay together if at all possible. Our story could be that we're merchants and would just like to double-check with one of the tax auditors that we've got everything covered as required. We can explain that we don't have an appointment, but that our permit is only valid for a few days and would very much like to have the appointment now (or possibly tomorrow; that could still work). We'll request Themolin, since we've been told that he has dealt with our kind of business before and could probably be the most suitable to explain things to us.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn
DM rainzax wrote:

There seems a fast party consensus for using "Diplomacy" - but what is the Content of what will be said, and by whom? The "reason" for the appointment.

Furthermore, how many people will go in, and what will they do, and those that remain, where will that be, and what will they be doing?

Zamp's words are in a spoiler. I will speak if Bardok does not roll well. I am trying to listen to feedback and give others a chance to make choices and roll dice per the OOC convo.

Right now I'm not sure there is a "plan B" possible before we know what the receptionist says. Like Helène I was also taking a tack of merchants here with tax questions.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Favorite this post in support of the following plan

1) All 7 of you walk in
2) Bardok makes small talk to improve the receptionist's mood
3) Apollon then uses the cover story to try and secure an appointment


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Favorite this post in support of the following plan

0) I have additional ideas to add, modify, or replace the plan!


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Waiting to hear from everyone - please Favorite one of the above two posts!

(And if you Favorite the second one, post your ideas below)

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Consider this post a Favorite for the plan outlined above (the first post). Including a spoiler with Bardok's attempt to win over the receptionist if everyone's onboard.

With party consensus to go in together and approach Diplomatically:
Bardok approaches the receptionist's desk alongside "Humble Measure." "Good morning," he says with a smile. "My companions and I are looking for an accountant named Themolin. We have our papers here, but we don't have an appointment. You see, we're following up on something extremely important to Runelord Belimarius, so we're trying to move quickly. She didn't pull us all out of time for thousands of years just to sit on her hands for days once we got back, am I right? Any chance we could meet with him today?"

Diplomacy to Request timely meeting with Themolin (savior story): 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 1 = 28


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part Two)

Well-dressed bureaucrats tend to the paperwork piled upon the dozens of desks, which are arranged in orderly fashion around a prominent stone likeness of Belimarius. Within the shadow of the statue, a neatly dressed man and woman sit at the main reception desk. Next to her (off-kilter from the desk) stands a second man, well-manicured, also in fine attire, who is leaning over her. The two appear to be engaged in animate conversation.

Bardok approaches the receptionist's desk alongside "Humble Measure." "Good morning," he says with a smile. "My companions and I are looking for an accountant named Themolin. We have our papers here, but we don't have an appointment. You see, we're following up on something extremely important to Runelord Belimarius, so we're trying to move quickly. She didn't pull us all out of time for thousands of years just to sit on her hands for days once we got back, am I right? Any chance we could meet with him today?"

"Humble Measure" makes sure to note the receptionist's name, and offers to be of as little trouble as possible: "Dacian, I used to work in an office — I know how it is. Themolin comes highly recommended, and I can only imagine how crammed his schedule is. He will appreciate a two-minute chat with an acquaintance, and fast resolution to our most simple question about the tithes — he'll appreciate this tomorrow, as well, when he can take a longer lunch break and not have to worry about more last-minute appointments!"

Poor Dacian is flanked and Sneak Attacked!

At first, from the vantage of the other five companions, it looked as if Dacian was halfway through saying "No", when his eyes met Bardok's, and he dropped his quill pen mid-sentence (halfway down Column F, on the third row, "Box 5" just above the seventh signature line...), followed by his jaw. With a trained composure, Dacian reacts to collect himself, closing his mouth, picking back up his pen, finishing "Box 5" with haste, and then, as if to reset, places his pen back down, 90 degrees to the top of the form, perfectly flush - all without averting his eyes for a second! - puts his elbows on the desk, curls his hands together, fingers interlocked, presses his chest outward, and says "This must be your associate." Indicating Humble Measure "Let me see if Themolin is in his office." With a scowling glance at the two other clerks next to him, he departs down the hall with a bit of a lilt to his step.

Leaving the party confronting the other two clerks...

...

Bardok:

This second man is the man you saw walk in.

DM Screen:

Bardok to Lie to Make an Impression (Deception) @ 28
Apollon to Lie to Request (Deception) @ 24

...

With Bardok and Apollon in action and spoken for, I'd like to give the rest of the party (5 of you) the opportunity to simultaneously interact or improvise this Social Encounter. Each other PC (Dr. Orris Duftwurtz, Helène, Imiriax, Rose Thesar, and Xue Kunsheng) can either attempt a Discovery Check or an Influence Check. Any information you discover may be shared with the party, opening up new avenues for influence. For each successful Discovery check, you may open One Spoiler to share.

Discovery (Perception or Society) DC 15 > One:

You overhear her telling him that she enjoyed reading his book.

The Library Lore can be used as an Influence check.

Discovery (Perception or Society) DC 15 > Two:

You notice that she compliments him on his new business venture.

The Mercantile Lore can be used as an Influence check.

Discovery (Perception or Society) DC 15 > Three:

You are watching when she corrects his grammer.

The Scribing Lore can be can be used as an Influence check.

Influence checks - made using the standard social skills (Diplomacy, Decepetion, or Intimidation) or any "discovered" above - are best accompanied with an "ask" or "goal" in mind.

...

All this to say: Let me know if anyone would like to interject themselves between these two flirting clerks?

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

Imiriax Perception (Discover): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Imiriax is no diplomat, but his wits are sharp and he is trained to notice important details. He observes the flirting clerks without much interest at first, but overhears her telling him that she enjoyed his book. I wonder if he owns the book or wrote it?

Library Lore can be used as an Influence check.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Society check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Library Lore check to influence: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

At almost exactly the wrong time, Kunsheng interrupts the clerks. "Excuse me...what were you saying about a book?"

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none
DM rainzax wrote:
..."He's a Dog, that Flitch" Vurna shares with Rose. "What more, my pops don't like him one bit." She seems to be conjuring an image in her head, then interrupts herself with "Yeah I probably shouldn't have shown him the Tunnels, and if we're being fair, I probably got worked over good." She makes eye contact with Rose now, snarling her nose a little bit "He's just, ya know, rather Handsome. Couldn't help myself. I understand you met him personally - my pops told me - so: What do you think of him?" Wanting a second opinion...

'Iris' pauses for a moment thinking back on the man they met in the sewers. "Definitely handsome... but definitely unreliable as a lover... but he did seem to care about you. He was shocked and agry we didn' come and help you first. Auntie Iris wouldn't presume to know what you're relationship is like, but I'd say give it a shot. It might work out, but even if it doesn't you can enjoy the experiences you have. And we'll have you both on the outside soon enough. Just worry about getting better and what you'll say to him after you meet him next!"

=======
'Iris Blush' walks up to the guard outside, peerfectly confident her papers are in order. Her sunflower inspired eye shadow, almost blinding in it's tackyness. She gives the guard another smile as she slips inside.

At the desk she stands back for a moment letting Bardok and 'Humble' pin and skewer the clerk, mentally 'ooh'ing and 'ahh'ing over their social fencing and parries. She takes note of the woman clerk at the desk and tries to see if she can find what makes her tick. Perception; Expert: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Oh, another scribe I see...

If she can attempt an Influence check as well:
'Iris' steps forwards and sets up a small mirror on the desk, "Hope you don't mind me checking to see if my masterpiece is still in place..." She uses it to check her makeup and angles it so she can scan the sheets of papers on the desk, looking for something she can use.
Lore Scribe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
She pauses for a moment. "Honey dear, I know I shouldn't be telling you how to do your job, but you might want to be a bit lighter on how much ink you're using, those blots shouldn't be happening if you can avoid it..." I'll add more once we decide on a goal or something to ask for of course.

Scribing Lore works as well! I actually have no idea what requests we would want to make of them... What would be good to ask for here?

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène doesn't like taking chances, and this seems like a long shot. She stays with the group but hangs back just a bit, making sure she keeps a view of the big picture. The two of them do make a good team. Poor receptionist never stood a chance, did he?

She quickly smooths the smile from her face and steps in after Kunsheng tries to make an intrusion into the other pairs' conversation. That probably won't go over very well... She tries to change the subject immediately. "You are a business man? Good for you. We're involved in a few ventures as well. Speaking of which, we're hoping to get an appointment with Auditor Themolin today. Would you know if he's in?"

Mercantile: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

My Diplomacy is actually higher, but many times the DC for discovered skills is lower. So I went with that one. If the pair are willing to talk, Helène would ask some follow-up questions to get a better idea of Themolin's work schedule, and possible some clues to his appearance.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part Three)

As Doc stands around awkwardly - perhaps less so than Kunsheng's "rudely random" question about a book which the couple respond to by casting a singe sideeye without skipping a conversational beat - Rose and Helène employ a Divide and Conquer, as if prying two halves of a fortune cookie apart.

Simultaneously:

..."Oh my dearest, you are correct" the woman says, licking her finger and trying to "rub out" a splotch here and there, but smearing it into a worse state. "Oh my!" she exclaims, having jumped out of the pot and into the fire. She shrugs, and turns away from the document, and looks up to study "Iris's" face "Looks as though you have a tiny blot as well: Hold still!" Reaching now with a different licked finger to rub around her lateral canthus, and smudging that (the sunflower eyeshadow) too, for the worse "Oh what is wrong with me today!" Cursing her luck, then once more "Hold still!" A third licked finger now to the other side...

Meanwhile

..."That incompetent old fool!?" The man proclaims rhetorically, as if to prop up his own stature in front of the receptionist by denigrating another's, whom he keeps in the corner of his peripheral vision for the entirety of the ensuing conversation "And thank you. You know what? Perhaps I can be of service, as although I was on a break, I do have Authority around here" Speaking that word just a little louder than is perhaps necessary here "Show me your paperwork and I'll see if I can help you out!" He politely suggest-demands...

Meanwhile

...Dacian returns to address Bardok and "Humble Measure", winding a wide arc around the other conversations going on, circling to the customer side of the desk, and standing nearly between the two of them and almost too close "Themolin will see you now - right this way" He opens one hand towards, and the other hand away, drawing a clear path permitting the two of you while seeming to exclude the others, towards one of the hallways flanked by two additional guards now eyeing you with some sort of threat-assessment gaze, up, down, and "through"...

...

Rose, the receptionist's Diplomacy modifier is +3, and she is Requesting that you hold still until she finishes. Feel free to roll dice to help aid in your next decision.

Helène, the bureaucrat's Diplomacy modifier is +7, and he is Requesting that you present to him your documents. Feel free to roll dice to help aid in your next decision.

Bardok and Apollon, you sense that an additional Request (DC 14) will permit you to each bring another person along into Themolin's office (two on a critical success!); but if you fail, you will offend Dacian, and sense he will probably have to check with Themolin again, possibly rescheduling at a later time, if at all.

Doc, Imiriax, Kunsheng, you sense that you could make the Request above on your own (or eachother's?) behalves, opting to use Library Lore, Mercantile Lore, or Scribing Lore in lieu of the standard Influence checks, at your discretion. Similarly, you could opt to "free up" one of your other comrades (currently locked in conversation with the flirting co-workers, separately) using an Influence roll that way...

...

So: who is saying what and going where?

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok raises his eyebrow upon seeing the same well-dressed fellow moving in and out. He looks to his colleagues being distracted. "Humble and I will figure this out. We'll be back in a jiffy." He nods to the elf and follows Dacian without incident.

Bardok will go straight to Themolin. Bird in the hand.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Diplomacy for the clerk: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Helène quickly comes to regret striking up a conversation with the clerk. Pompous fool. She keeps an eye out for Zamp and Bardok and catches their meaning. She makes the slightest nod of her head to let Bardok know she understood and that's it's all right to proceed without the rest.

"Well," she tries to avoid the question for her ID papers. "It seems like your colleague over there might already have taken care of business. But thank you so much for your willingness to help." She straightens and takes a half-step back. She makes another attempt, using humor to hopefully retrieve some useful information from his. "I suppose Themolin is getting on in years," she half-agrees with the clerk, "but why would you say he's incompetent?"

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

After his opening conversational gambit failed miserably, Kunsheng waits quietly for Bardok and Zamp to return, unless something else of interest arises.


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Thank you, Dacian. Humble Measure nods at his companions before following the clerk and Bardok.

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

'Iris' recoils in horror as her makeup, her PRECIOUS LIFEBLOOD MAKEUP is RUINED! She takes a long moment to breath as she previews the damages. A look of shock and disgust takes over her face. "DEARIE! Please! This is my job, my wares! I appreciate the attempt to clean up what looked like ink smudges, but my makeup is my armor! No don't worry about fixing this I can handle it on my own! But my poor heart is just a pitter. I don't think I can relax in this state. My hands would shake too much. Talk to me. Tell me something that doesn't matter. What are you working on? Maybe that would help calm my frayed nerves."

I think that would be Deception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
I should probably have rolled and made a post based on that, eh? But a +4 if Impersonate would work here!
Nope, let's hero point that!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Sorry, I just figured out that that was a closed list of what can be used to influence; I believe Orris's position is true here, but maybe one of my colleagues trained in Mercantile Lore can step if the clerk doesn't agree with me.


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Orris presents the clerk who had engaged Helène with the group's (legit!) corporate charter and the stack of supporting documentation. Yes, here are the identity papers for the enterprise that would be listed as "petitioner"; as the sponsor listed on the charter, I am ready to sign on behalf of our corporation, to finalize any paperwork.

Scribing lore, to influence the clerk that Helène is not the entity that would be listed on any form, so her identity would not be relevant: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part Four)

Simultaneously:

Dacian whisks Bardok and Humble Measure into Themolin's office, knocking twice to declare presence, opening the door, and closing it upon their entrance, and waiting outside (evidenced by not hearing the sound of footsteps marching away). A portly man with thinning hair looks up from behind several stacks of papers, some nearly toppling from the heavy wooden desk upon which they are perched. “I-I understand that y-you’ve made an appointment to s-see me. H-how may I b-be of assistance?” he stammers as he hesitantly rises to his feet.

Apollon:

You notice that Dacian is trying to "peep in" on the conversation, judging by the shadows of his feet quietly shuffling near the door (thinking himself sneaky, in all liklihood!), his ear pressed against from the other side!

Bardok:

Reading upside-down, you notice on Themolin’s desk an Affidavit of Sale bearing the name of Ellvard. It shows that Ellvard purchased a painting from a known forger for a nominal amount. The paper looks like it's filing date is past due, and, judging by it's position at the top of the messy stack - rather than accidentally buried - this tardiness seems to be of some purpose?

Meanwhile

..."Barralbus" The man introduces himself to Helène "Barralbus Bockington" He adds "I am of some consequence around here - Accounting can be such a tedious discipline..." Making sure the the woman next to him can hear "...requiring a firm grasp of detail and a steady hand" Offering his to Helène with confidence and bearing. Just then, Doc splutters some papers onto the desk, and catching two of the three that fall midair, reshuffles them into approximately their original orientation with a clumsy clap on the desktop, inadvertently blocking the incoming handshake Barralbus had thrust upon a back-peddling Helène "Terribly sorry" The Doc excuses himself. Severely annoyed, but unable to otherwise make a tactful move, Barralbus instead reaches for the stack of papers - with a nearly-violent snatching motion! - and begins scanning them at a furious rate with a keen eye, as a bead of sweat trickles down Helène's brow, while Doc awkwardly awaits a verdict, perhaps oblivious that his "stunt" had potentially dodged an "auditing bullet"...

Meanwhile

...Self-deprecatingly "Aww I'm so SARRY" The woman declares monstrously, feeling as though Rose is overreacting while also not altogether caring, but putting up the socially-appropriate apology for the sake of progressing the conversation "Ya know, I'm just so CLUM-Zee sometimes" Trying now to elicit sympathy in such a way that her other characteristics are implicitly emphasized. On a dime, she shifts tack, obeying Rose's request, leaning in "Ya think I can do better? I mean look at this guy. So gawd-damned self-important. But I hear he's well on track to becoming the next Minister of Tithes. And his only rival is that stuttering dummy your friends went to go see. He'll probably muss up your wavers or whatever you came here for! Eh, what do I know..." She trails off, then adds volume changing the subject abruptly "Hey I'm on lunch in about 30 - whaddya say us girls go and get a bite? I know a place down the block..." While Kunsheng watches the whole thing...

Kunsheng:

You sense hostile intent behind what seems like a friendly invitation, and get the feeling that if Rose agrees and goes along with Assassilly (you also notice her nametag, which she seems to purposely wear in such a way as it always hangs at an angle just out of view!), that she would be in grave danger!

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Seek (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Bardok Marsh to Investigate: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Influence (Scribing Lore) @ 13
Helène Yolescu to Influence (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Imiriax to ?
Rose Thesar to Influence (Deception) @ 14+4
Kunsheng to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

...

So.
How do folks respond?
Include any Influence checks as towards progressing your various conversations...

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng clears his throat. "Iris, remember that we are on a tight schedule. We have to have everything in place quickly, before our customers elsewhere find someone else to carry their goods."


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Humble Measure bows with grace. Themolin: I am Humble Measure, and this is my associate Bardok. We share a mutual foreign acquaintance in the export business and would like your help in reviewing — possibly expediting — important transactions here in the city of Envy. We may need to meet over lunch or in a more private setting, to ensure we're safe from industrial espionage. Zamp glances meaningfully towards Dacian

Deception to Pass secret message: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 "We're friends of Guarils and wish to talk about your escape where it's safe."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Ah, yes. Thank you," Helène offers to Doc as he offers the papers, however clumsy. She crosses her arms in front of her chest as she waits for Mr. Bockington to check them. I hope Zamp and Bardok don't take long...

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok looks over the affidavit on top of Themolin's papers, and puts on his warmest smile. "Hello Themolin. I know we haven't met before, but I want to start by saying that my friends and I are here to help you. I understand that the role of accountant for the Runelord of Envy is an emotionally taxing job...not to mention literally taxing, am I right?!" He offers a goofy grin. "Real men always intend their puns, Themolin, never forget it. In any case, we want to make your life and your future as safe and lucrative as possible, and we wanted to talk about your options. Would you like to hear more?"

Diplomacy (Make an Impression): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 Oof

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Might be a good time for using a hero point?

Envoy's Alliance

NG Female Half-elf Mastermind Rogue Pathfinder Agent 3 | HP 35/35 | AC: 20 (22w/ Nimble Dodge) | F +5 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | ✋:Rapier ✋: Jezail | Rounds remaining: 53 | 25 feet | Class DC 19 |1 Hero points|Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: none

Rose looks down at the woman not quite sure what to believe here. She looks at Kunsheng and then at the woman again. All while trying to pretend to fix her makeup. She leans over and looks the man up and down. [smaller]"You probably could do better, unless you figured out a way to humble him and get him to play even with you. I mean see how's he's treating my friend there, now imagine living with that for the rest of your life? No thank-you."

Having passibly fixed the makeup, she looks over at the woman and asks "How long do these types of meetings normally last? Think we could do lunch in that amount of time? She looks up at Kensheng adding in, [b]"If we aren't going anywhere what harm is a quick lunch? Could make some good business ties and even hear about the juicy gossip around town! Hell, why don't you join us?"

She then turns back to the woman, trying to make sure she notes the woman's name. [b]"Oh, don't worry Sarissa! He's one of the girls! Knows all about fashion.

Should I be rolling something here?


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part Five)

Simultaneously:

The joke seems to fall poorly over Themolin, perhaps touching too close to home, and you sense a tinge of resentment at it, as the man, clearly already nervous, intakes the attempted light-heartedness, with a heavy one. You see he is about to retreat back into his work, when Apollon's hidden meaning seems to dawn several moments later. He pauses, searches his desk for an implement, and quietly scribbles a sentence or two onto a small parchment, which he rolls, and seals with a bit of wax. Then he stands at his desk, and produces it forward, pointed at Humble Measure, and says with poor affect "Ahem - Y-yes let us r-r-review these documents for-f-forthw-with, as I need seek the sig-signature of the minister's aid. Perhaps to-to-to... Tomorrow?" He manages to finally spit out...

Meanwhile

Barralbus looks up from the papers "You seem to be missing a few signatures..." Slapping the papers down, and thumbing through them adroitly as he flips in rapid succession to several different pages "Here... Here... Here... Here and Here... Here......... and Here!" Holding his fingers in such a way as to allow all the pages to splay open, enabling a succession of signatures as he "Ahem!" Eyeballs the stylus and inkpot sitting next to the stack...

Meanwhile

Assassilly (her nametag suddenly visible, flipping "open" when she shifts in her chair) looks Kunsheng up and down, not seeing Rose's assessment at all. She shrugs, and says to him "Not much of a talker I see" As if to dismiss him from the proposed excursion. She looks around the room, making quick eye contact with a guard, then says "Tell ya what, I think I'm gunna go early - be just down the block" And smiling at Rose warmly, she "accidentally" shoulders Kunsheng as she walks by with only so little as a "Hmmph" and a frown, and exits...

...

Doc:

You notice the accoutrements of an arcane spellcaster within Barralbus's spellpouch attached to his belt, a few key material components sticking out, as he leans in to allow you to sign the papers in the places indicated.

You may attempt an Arcana check to identify one of them.

...

DM Screen:

Apollon Zamp to Request (Deception) @ 19
Bardok Marsh to Make Impression @ 13
Dr. Orris Duftwurtz to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Helène Yolescu to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Imiriax to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Rose Thesar to Request: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Xue Kunsheng to Sense Motive (Perception): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

...

So.
How do folks respond?
In either case, things seem to be rapidly wrapping up here.
Include any Influence checks as towards concluding your various conversations?


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Tomorrow, then.

Zamp takes the note and tucks it snugly into his breast pocket, behind the cream-colored pocket square. He bows and walks out without reading the note, confident all the information he needs is contained therein.

Vigilant Seal

Wizard (transmuter) 8 - HP 80/80, AC 22 - Perception +11 (+13 to Initiative) - F: +12/ R: +13 / W: +13 - Speed: 25 - Hero Points: 1/1, Active Conditions: +10' ; Default Exploration Activity: Search

After having observed these interactions for some time, Imiriax strokes Anton's feathers while he thinks. These two clerks seem immaterial to our mission from Guaril, while Apollon and Bardok seem to have gotten in to speak with our target...this Themolin character.

Knowing himself to be something of an impediment to diplomacy and sensing that Themolin is a nervous individual, Imiriax decides that no displays of magic are needed. He is suspicious of Assassilly's (what a name) motives, so he whispers to Anton to follow her from a height and see where she goes.


Alchemist (Mutagenist) 1|Exploration: Investigate|AC 18 [17 bestial] |HP 6/18| Ref + 8[+6 bestial; Fort+6; Will+3

Arcana to ID spell components: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

oof, well then

Orris adopts grateful look as he adds signatures with all deliberate haste. "Much obliged, Mr. Bockington; our haste to make transactions risks inspiring too much of the mercury in merchants such as us, as it were, and we appreciate the supplement of some salt in such times."

Orris phrases this is a self-deprecating joke (mercury also being associated with trade and travel) about how merchants are too flighty, and need outside help to accomplish anything concrete, but phrased in jargon that bridges the disciplines of alchemy and arcane work. As he says "mercury" and "salt", his hands subtly gesture so as to imply the subtle meaning of those two terms, as symbols of changeability and of solidity.

Vigilant Seal

N male Varisian human (skilled - Deception) sorcerer (aberrant) 9 | HP 71/71 (Toughness) | AC 25 | F +14 R +17 W +16 (Haughty Obstinacy) | Resist fire 5 | Perc +13 | Stealth +3 | 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells (DC 27) 1st 4/4, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 4/4, 4th 4/4, 5th 3/3 | SLAs Used: — | Active Conditions: — | Hero Points 1/1

Bardok sighs and shrugs. ”Fair enough. Where should we meet tomorrow?”

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (Versatile) Investigator 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 18 (19 with Shield) | F +4, R +8 W +6 | Perc +6, Stealth +6 | speed 25 | Hero Point: 1 | Active conditons: -

Helène keeps her waiting posture, but leans forward slightly to check the paperwork as Doc signs them. His added comments draw a blank stare from the Varisian woman. What's he going on about? She shifts her glance to further inside the building, where Zamp and Bardok went. This had better not take too long.

Nothing much to add. Helène will just keep her eyes and ears open.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/□), Lan (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□/☑), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/☑), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑□□/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Ministry of Tithes Affair (Part Six)

"H-here p-per Usual" Themolin spits out awkwardly. With that you hear a knock at the door. Dacian looks you over as he escorts you back to the front desk "I will schedule your appointment with the clerk for tomorrow. What time suits you?" He asks, as if he had overheard the entire conversation...

...When Bardok and Apollon arrive back, they are met with an expectant look from Imiriax and Helène. Barralbus excuses himself "I do hope that nitwit didn't utterly botch your paperwork, gentlemen"[b] He exclaims [b]"I hear he is on his way out!" The man smiles as he slithers around the other side of the desk, one foot pointing out towards the front door "Good day to you!" He points his finger at Doc and curls his eyebrows before exiting the building...

Time: 11:00am, Day Two

...

Anton:

Assassilly proceeds to a little cafe that makes sandwiches about a block over. Barralbus seems headed for the same place...

Please have Anton make a Sneak (Stealth) check with a +2 circumstance bonus for being a bird. This will represent his ability to collect the information above discretely...

Apollon:

Themolin's note has an address and a time written on it.

The time says "4pm today".

The address is unfamiliar.

Doc:

You are unable to identify the components.

...


0) Party Discussion?
1) Parting words for Dacian?
2) Anyone spontaneously chasing Assassilly?
3) Parting words for Barralbus? Or try to prevent him from leaving?!?
4) Where to next? (The entire stay took a good 10-20 minutes, for reference).
5) Per usual, who is leading, and is anyone changing their Exploration Mode Activity?


Male Elf (Ancient) Rogue (Scoundrel) / Sorcerer (Draconic) 1 |Current Disguise: Humble Measure | 30' | HP: 14 | AC: 18 | Perc: +5 | F: +3 R: +8 W: +5 | Exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0 | Trap Finding +6 | Weapon (whip) drawn

Zamp nods at Dacian. We will be here at 9 a.m. sharp. On the way out, he suddenly stops and turns to Bardok as if just remembering something. Ahh. I've forgotten to tell you about an important development! We now have an appointment to discuss the export of these very same goods later today, at a new address. We should be off! He turns back to Dacian. Thank you, young man. We will see you tomorrow after our goods are secured.

Deception to pass secret message: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 Themolin actually wants to meet later today at a different location.

After the party leaves the Ministry of Tithes:
Zamp will show everyone the note, and suggest they meet Themolin at this address at 4 p.m. today.

Radiant Oath

AC 17|Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +7|Perception: +11|Exploration: Search| Undine Human (Tian-Shu) Investigator/2|HP 24/24|Drained 0 Bleeding 0|Speed 25 ft. (10 ft. swim speed)|

Kunsheng adds, "I had a feeling that Assassilly was a danger to 'Iris.' Did any of you see where she went?"

1 to 50 of 493 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / (PFS2) (#1-12) "Burden of Envy" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.