Gameday VIII - PFS #9-09 Beyond the Halflight Path - GM Hawthwile

Game Master Hawthwile

Map


1 to 50 of 283 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

The road to Kaer Maga was long, but the journey uneventful. As the Pathfinders find the Drunken Fool tavern, they have a chance to rest for the evening and share dinner with their companions before the expedition the following day.

This is an excellent opportunity to get to introduce yourself and get to know your fellow adventurers. Gameplay will begin in earnest on Aug. 26.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

The Pathfinders each receive a letter from Sheila Heidmarch, the venture-captain overseeing operations in Varisia.

Greetings Friends,

For some time I have been making diplomatic inroads into Kaer Maga, the so-called City of Strangers. The Society would love to gain access to the many vaults carved beneath the city long ago. However, because of the danger of the vaults, the group in charge of protecting them - the Duskwardens - rarely allows anyone to stray from their carefully patrolled paths. The Duskwardens seemed willing to consider allowing Pathfinders to venture beyond their protection, but only if we were acting on behalf of one of the city’s major factions with their endorsement. They want us to prove that we are willing to work as partners to a faction and that we will not upset the city’s existing balance of power.

After receiving the Duskwarden’s reply, I reached out to the leaders of several of the city’s largest factions with evidence of our agents’ skill and goodwill. Most of the responses I received were noncommittal. However, Horus Ilaktya took a greater interest. Illyakta is the de facto leader of the Ankar-Te District. He has asked me to send a group of agents to investigate a recent event that has caused property damage in his district.

A word of caution - very few in Kaer Maga are beacons of morality. In Ankar-Te, necromancy is respected, and people openly walk the streets with their undead servants. Horus is the owner of a shop called the Last Rites, the district’s largest purveyor of mindless undead, or, as they locals euphemistically call them, Twice-Born. Horus lives by his own code, a code that should make it safe for you to interact with him as long as you don’t interfere with his merchandise. He doesn’t kill people, and he only uses corpses that he purchases from the families of the deceased. In keeping with his faith in Urgathoa, he sees these “rebirths” as a gift, and is unlikely to react well to any suggestions to the contrary.

I understand some of you may find his occupation and methods distasteful, but please keep the larger mission in mind and avoid causing any diplomatic incidents.

Sincerely,

Sheila Heidmarch

The letter also included a rough map of Kaer Maga, with the location of Horus Ilaktya's store in the Ankar-Te district clearly marked.

Now, many days later, the Pathfinder agents have convened at the Drunken Fool inn and tavern. In the morning, Kaer Maga awaits.

What do you do?

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

Kronug is a lithe Kellid half elf with a shaved head and winged tattoos above his ears. He's frequently seen kneeling on one knee and looking into the distance.

Circling around above is a large bird of prey with dark grey feathers, clearly an animal companion.

"Greeting fellow pathfinders, my name is Kronug, although my friends and tribemates call me The Raven."

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

A thin boned green skinned man quietly approaches Kronug. A small variegated snake hides in his master's pack.

"We are here at last. This should prove to be an interesting city. Clearly in the morning we should seek out Horus at his shop. I plan on fortifying myself magically for the day ahead. I suggest that you make any necessary preparations as well. Kaer Maga can be a dangerous city at times."

OOC:
If we are actually resting overnight. My character will put up extended Ablative Barrier, False Life and Defending Bone at CL 8 before retiring for the night.

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

The woman in front of you has flowers braided into her long red hair and colorful ribbons attached to her dragonhide armor, obvious attempts to soften the appearance of a large and muscular half-orc. It is less effective than she would like.

She greets you cheerfully. "Hello! My name is Lisianthus Zernike. I was named for the green flower. I know it's a mouthful; you can just call me Lis if that's easier. And this is my snake, Dewberry! She's such a good girl."

Similarly, the collar of wildflowers does little to make the enormous snake with razor-sharp scales look like any less of a threat. You suspect that she is not a good girl.

"Yes, let us speak with Horus!"

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

A tall, dark haired human, dressed in heavy armor nods at to the group. A large sword and light shield are visible strapped to his back. The hilt of the sword is adorned with the holy symbol of Iomedae.

"Well met, Lisianthus, Kronug, and other fellow pathfinders." "I am Orst Tilboar. I am at your service. However I must say after reading our mission explanation from Venture Captain Heidmarch, I have my misgivings. Undead creation and use as a tool is not something I am comfortable with. But you have my word I will not do anything rash."

"I, too, think our best coarse of action is to talk to Horus."

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Current HP 51/57 | F +11 R +9 W +6 (+2 more vs spells, SLA, poison)) | Init +1 | Perc +12(+14 unusual stonework)

An unusually chipper and gregarious dwarf waddles up to the group, a huge smile on his beardless face. His hair is a dark blue-black, which—combined with his attitude—could make him easily be mistaken for a gnome. A goat follows closely behind him.

”Hello friends! My name is Dolph, Son of a Shepherd. Cities, like life, has many doors, yes, Path-people? I am a hunter who serves Erastil, showing city people the goodness of nature!”

He pulls turnips out of his backpack and puts one in each person’s hand. ”The Turnip of Greeting, yes? My Great Nano told me of this custom.”

His goat wanders up and Dolph picks him up with surprising ease. ”This is Victor! Say hello Victor!”

Victor bahs.

Dolph vigorously scratches at Victor’s neck. The goat doesn’t mind. Dolph gives a knowing smile. ”You know the saying: do not tell a goat his hooves are mushy unless you want a moldy carrot.” He laughs as though everyone knows what he is talking about, as though this is just an accepted saying in these parts.

If you’ve seen the cartoon Ed Edd and Eddy, he’s basically Rolf, including the accent

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

Lisianthus accepts the turnip happily and gives Victor scritches on his chin.

If Xilt's snake friend should emerge from his pack, Lisianthus will immediately coo and fuss over it.


Snake Familiar (Figment/Sage)
Current skills:
Linguistics(Common)+1, KS(Religion)+15,KS (Arcana) +9, KS (Dungeoneering,Local, History, Nature, Planes) +7, KS(Engineering, Geography, Nobility) +3.
| HP 3/11 | AC 18 T 15 FF 15| CMB +4 CMD 11| F +1 R +5 W +6| PER +9/+17 Low Light Vision Scent SM+1| Speed 20' Climb 20' +15 Swim 20' +11 Stealth +19|Active Conditions Skilled-KS:Religion

Sammy sneaks out of the pack instinctively hiding from the bird of prey circling overhead. He carefully approaches Lis and hisses playfully at her.

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt looks at the others. He is eager to get underway.

"Well, well. If we are all agree on our plan of action then perhaps we should all get some rest and move forward in the morning."


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

As the Pathfinders leave the Drunken Fool, the noise of Kaer Maga's open-air meat market assail their senses. Farmers are hawking their wares, livestock are bleating in discomfort, and children run screaming through the crowds.

Appraise DC 10:
The prices being called out are rather affordable for the goods received. These farmers are quite likely poor.

Perception DC 40:
A farmer in the far back corner is selling turnips that look incredibly similar to the Turnips of Greeting passed out by Dolph.

On the other side of the market, a massive hole opens in Kaer Maga's walls. All manner of guides, porters, and runners quickly rush up to the group, eagerly offering their services.

"Hey, pretty lady, I know the best places for food, fit for nobles like yourself!"

"She don't want that - she wants the best shows, which only I know how to get into, and for a discount no less!"

"Oh my gosh, what a pretty goat! And a pretty snake! And a pretty bird! And another pretty snake! Oh my gosh, I could show you the park, introduce you to some other animal friends, feed you crackers..."

"I know where the free beer is."

What do you do?

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
perception: 1d20 + 33 ⇒ (2) + 33 = 35

Kronug looks to his companions "Any of you been to Kaer Maga before? Maybe we should pick up a guide."

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt appreciates the affordability of this market. He nods to Kronug and begins negotiating with the locals looking for a suitable guide at a reasonable price.

OOC: Take 10 on Appraise is 22. I am going to assume that we rested overnight and that his overnight buffs are up.

False Life: 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

"Perhaps directions would be good."
Orst asks the most trustworthy looking individual. sense motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

"Good day to you, might I trouble you for directions to the Ankar-Te district?"

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Current HP 51/57 | F +11 R +9 W +6 (+2 more vs spells, SLA, poison)) | Init +1 | Perc +12(+14 unusual stonework)

Dolph shakes his head at Kronug's question. "Dolph has not been to many cities, yes. Do they have guides like the wilderness?"

Dolph's expression turns joyous as he sees the gathering of merchants selling produce. "Aha! We have found the Octagon of Commerce! Dolph has gone with his Great Nano to sell many a production at the one back in the Old Country."

Appraise: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20

Of course he'd roll a nat 20 on appraising farm goods

"Ah, these are bad times indeed. An undervaluing of farm productions is an undervaluing of the bounty of Erastil! I shall have to be helping these farmers with their farm managering after the mission, yes? Induct them into the Urban Rangers!" Dolph pulls out handmade badges and waves them about proudly. "I am not an urban ranger, but I am leader of the Urban Rangers, haha, yes? It is Dolph's idea for helping city peoples learn about nature, yes?"

Dolph puts away his accoutrements for now though, remembering the importance of the mission at hand. He thoughtfully scrunches up his face. "We are in the trade of information for to find Horus. Perhaps the farmers would be willing for trade, yes?"

Diplomacy Gather Information: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Dolph generously offers to trade his own "productions" for the farmers at particularly generous (to them) rates in exchange for information on Horus's place.

He is carrying 5 pounds each of: potatoes, turnips, oranges, cheese, nuts, chicken, and bacon

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

Lisianthus looks a little overwhelmed by the city's crowds.

Appraise: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

She sticks close to the farmers' stalls, finding comfort from the familiar produce

"Perhaps we should find a guide, yes."

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

3 likes animals. Lis votes for 3.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path
Guides wrote:

1. "Hey, pretty lady, I know the best places for food, fit for nobles like yourself!"

2. "She don't want that - she wants the best shows, which only I know how to get into, and for a discount no less!"

3. "Oh my gosh, what a pretty goat! And a pretty snake! And a pretty bird! And another pretty snake! Oh my gosh, I could show you the park, introduce you to some other animal friends, feed you crackers..."

4. "I know where the free beer is."

The four guides jostle and crowd each other, trying to catch the Pathfinders' attention. They each eventually settle on a price of 10 gp per day for their services, flashing winning smiles and hopeful faces at their prospective clients. Working together, Orst and Dolph think they have a pretty good idea where to find the Ankar-Te district, but not necessarily the best route to get there.

Which guide will you choose? #1, #2, #3, #4, or none? First option with two votes moves the party.

The Exchange

Male AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Current HP 51/57 | F +11 R +9 W +6 (+2 more vs spells, SLA, poison)) | Init +1 | Perc +12(+14 unusual stonework)

My vote is 3. since they complimented our animals

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt shrugs. The party wants the animal guide so they we get the animal guide.

"Ok (#3). I will hire you for today and then we will see how you work out. Ten gold a day as we agreed upon."

OOC: No worries about paying him. It will come out of The Exchange Slush Fund.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

As the other guides walk away disappointed, the young woman selected claps her hands. "Oh, you're not going to regret this! Now, we'll want to avoid all the parades and roadwork on the main streets - do you ever get to march in parades, Mr. Goat? You'd make a fearsome sight with little caps on your horns and your beard all straightened, wouldn't you? And Ms. Snake here could ride on your back, like this, and she'd look so ferocious and whoops!". She stops her rambling to catch Dewberry as the python starts to slide off Victor's back. "Oh, and where are my manners? You can call me Lizzie!" She leans over and whispers in Victor's ear, "It's short for Lizard!"

Lizzie doesn't stop talking as she leads the Pathfinders through the Warrens... "...it smells bad here, and the buildings are all just thrown together. I bet there's lots of great places for you to perch, Ms. Vulture! Why, look at that rooftop with the two big nails and the barn door..." ...across the Widdershins... "...it's always so quiet here, and everyone looks at you funny if you have your hat on sideways or want to talk to the yellow flowers instead of the red ones for a change..." ...to Ankar-Te. "...it's so somber here - just like you, Mr. Snake..." Once inside the district, the venture-captains directions are sufficient to find the Last Rites shop.

The interior of the shop has far from the somber appearance its name suggests. Fresh-cut flowers stand in vases throughout the room, filling the air with a pleasant fragrance. The walls are painted light green, and multiple still life paintings hang in gilded frames from the walls.

A tall, thin, middle-aged man stands near a long marble table in the center of the room. He smiles and gestures at the finely crafted mahogany chairs around the table before settling himself into the one at the end. He then picks up a tiny bell and rings it. At the far end of the room, a door opens and a figure dressed as a servant enters, carrying a tray. The figure’s movements are stiff and its eyes stare straight ahead as it sets a tray with a decanter of deep red wine and several glasses down gently. The creature then turns and leaves the room.

“Pathfinders!” says the man at the table, as he offers the wine. “How pleasant that you could come. I am Horus Ilaktya, owner of this establishment and a leader of the Ankar-Te district. Your Venture-Captain - that is the correct term, yes? - Sheila Heidmarch promised to send some of her most capable agents. I am sure I will be pleased with what you have to offer. But on to business.

“I would like you to investigate a problem in my district. Just the other day I began to hear reports of property damage in the district, but I have not had time to investigate these reports myself. Since I knew I had Pathfinders on the way, I thought I’d leave it up to you to determine the cause of this damage and eliminate any threat to Ankar-Te’s wellbeing, even should it take you beneath the city and into the vaults.
“See what you can find in the streets. I’d also recommend talking to the Augurs. Their command of prophecy is quite impressive. When you have dealt with the threat, return to me and we will discuss your findings.”
He nods politely as he takes a taste of his wine, his face open to questions.

Knowledge (religion) DC 5:
The servant is an unusually well-preserved zombie.

What do you do?

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

Orst holds his tongue until Horus has finished. He pointedly tries avoid inspecting the 'servant' too closely afraid of his possible rise in emotion.

"Property damage, what sort of property damage? Who would we need to talk to for specifics?" "Ankar-Te's fairly large district, is there a particular place people gather to exchange news?" "Somewhere we might pick up some local information? Our guide could suggest somewhere if you are not sure."

"I am not familar with 'Augurs'. Why do you think they could be helpful?"

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt looks around appreciating the decor.

"Nice place. We will ask about to see if we can get to the bottom of your problem. Do we need any paperwork or such to go into the vault should our search require it? Also any of the Augurs in particular that you suggest that we speak to?

As if anticipating his master's need Sammy hisses a few words of advice into Xilt's ear. His aid is of little use.

Aid - KS:Local DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

OOC: Take 10 - KS:Local of 23.

OOC2: Excuse me for the cross-posting. Assume that it is just the excitement of the moment.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

Horus runs a long finger along the rim of his glass. "I've heard multiple stories," he replies to Orst's questions. "Some of them claim entire buildings have collapsed, while others say it was only a few walls. I'm not asking you to make a full appraisal of the extent of the damage - I don't need your expertise for that. Focus your efforts on making sure it doesn't happen again, if you please."

"As for where to begin, you could talk to people on the streets and in the shops. If you run into much resistance, just mention my name. That should clear up any confusion." He smiles mirthlessly. "As for the Augurs, they are a group of troll prophets with quite a fascinating way of reading the future. It's not an experience a newcomer will soon forget." He chuckles.

"Now then, I believe that is enough for you to work with. I look forward to hearing what you discover." He gracefully beckons towards the door.

Back in the streets, the Pathfinders (and their menagerie of critters) discuss amongst themselves what to do next.

Diplomacy (Gather Information) or Knowledge (local):
Roll once, open all spoilers equal to or lower than your result.

10+

Spoiler:
Kaer Maga is a massive ring of stone unbroken except in one place: the Warren. Some unknown calamity appears to have blown an enormous hole in the city’s ring there. Otherwise, the majority of the city is housed within the ring’s multileveled honeycomb of lantern-lit chambers and caverns.

DC 15+

Spoiler:
The Warren is home to the poorest residents of Kaer Maga but also serves as the natural main entrance to the city for locals and visitors alike.

20+

Spoiler:
Kaer Maga’s government is decentralized. A collection of powerful factions controls various portions of the city. The Ardoc family of golem-cra ers controls the Bis district, famed for its balconies lining the walls. The Ankar-Te district is known for its many undead servants and treats Horus Ilaktya as its de facto leader. A newer faction, the Freemen, is led by Halman Wright and operates out of the Bottoms, a stronghold of democracy. A group of peaceful trolls lives in the city, many of them skilled in augury. The Duskwardens patrol the tunnels underneath the city, where they strive to keep nosy visitors out of the vaults and creatures in the vaults from getting out.

25+

Spoiler:
Those who want to know anything worth knowing in Kaer Maga talk to the residents of the Warren, for despite their low status, they know a great deal of what’s
happening in the city.

Knowledge (arcana or history):
Roll once, open all spoilers equal to or lower than your result.

10+

Spoiler:
The city of Kaer Maga was here before the Thassilonian empire even began.

15+

Spoiler:
The very first Runelord of Greed used Kaer Maga as a prison for his enemies.

20+

Spoiler:
When he first took control of the city, the first Runelord of Greed made a deal with the caulborn, a mysterious race of prophets and record-keepers residing in the city. They agreed to become wardens and historians of the city.

25+

Spoiler:
After millennia of service, the caulborn predicted the arrival of the Starstone and fled deep beneath the surface to escape.

30+

Spoiler:
The caulborn carved out a series of caverns, passages, and even a city far beneath Kaer Maga. The caulborn used some of these places to as homes and others as storage vaults for their many treasures.

What do you do?

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt and Sammy put their heads together trying to figure out what they know about this strange city.

OOC: Arcana-26 (Sammy auto-aids and Xilt takes 10)
Local-25 (Sammy tries to aid and Xilt takes 10)

Sammy tries to Aid KS:Local DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

"We really need to speak to the residents of the Warren. They generally know what is going on in their city.

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

know local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
know history: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Kronug nods "While poor they'll see almost all entrants to the city."

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

Orst after explaining that he will ask a few locals, heads to the nearest shop and asks about rumors of mysterious damage.

diplomacy to gather information: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

He joins the group when he thinks he has all he can gather.

"Well, I didn't get much about the damage around here, but I did get a fairing detailed explanation of the government and how the districts are run. Apparently ..." Orst shares the spoiler infomation through 20+, I will let people read it instead of retyping it here.

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt nods to Orst. He realizes that he should have been more forthcoming but he is not naturally very sociable. He dribbles out the remaining information if people are interested.

"Most of the information is interesting but might not be immediately relevant.

OOC:
If you are interested read all of the KS:Local entries and all of KS:Arcana entries up to 25+

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

"So we have two leads, then? The Warren and the Augers?"

Lisianthus scratches Dewberry's head.

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt looks at the others and nods to Lis.

"I suggest visiting the Augers and then the Warren. Is this alright?"

OOC: I am trying to push the plot along.

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

"Yes, this sounds like a good approach."

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

"Yes, fine. Undead servant, nice trolls, what a completely strange place."
Push away I am not sure what to do next.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

It doesn't take the Pathfinders terribly long to find a rundown shack where one of the augurs works. When Orst knocks on the door, it is opened by a hideous troll with mossy green hair and gnarled teeth. "Ah, it is as I foresaw. Come inside - tell me, why do you seek Nurogore's services today?"

What do you do?

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

Kronug nods in silent agreement.

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt nods at the troll.

"We are here at Horus' biding. We are looking into who or what is responsible for the damages caused in the Ankar-Te district so we can neutralize the threat going forward."

"We are interested in any help that you can provide us and we will provide you with reasonable compensation."

OOC: I still have 40 gp left in the slush fund. Any demand of services for more than this we will need to discuss.

The Exchange

Male AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Current HP 51/57 | F +11 R +9 W +6 (+2 more vs spells, SLA, poison)) | Init +1 | Perc +12(+14 unusual stonework)

”Ah! How could Dolph forget!” He pulls out a slab of bacon wrapped in butcher paper and takes a strip off, placing it in the troll’s hand. ”A fine strip of bacon, yes?” He grins, proud of himself for remembering to offer the traditional gift before entering.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

Nuregore nods politely to Dolph and chews the bacon thoughtfully. "Your path has many branches," she replies to Xilt, frowning. "It will take much searching for me to narrow down which of these paths fate has decreed for you. If you wish for me to divine all of the details in your stead, the process shall be more complicated." She swallows the rest of the traditional gift with a slurp. "Complicated, and perhaps perilous, as some information wishes desperately to remain hidden. Knowledge may be priceless, as they say, but in this case I think 500 pieces of gold would be enough. Or do you wish to give me more information to narrow my searching?"

What do you do?

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

Lisianthus whispers to her companions. "That's a bit expensive; should we talk to the people in the Warren for more information and then come back?"

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

Kronug nods to Lis and looks to the troll "Perhaps we should narrow our path first..."

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt nods.

"We will return with more bacon and less gold at a latter time.
We will investigate the Warren and perhaps more before returning."

OOC: Perhaps an entire party in the good graces of the Exchange can afford that bribe but not my character at this time. :)


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

Nuregore smiles, her long jagged teeth covered in half-chewed bits of bacon. "As I foresaw," she says cheerfully, shutting the door. "We will meet again when fate decrees it."

The Pathfinders head to the Warrens to learn more about what might have caused the damage Horus asked them to investigate.

Gather Information checks! Since this is new information and not what you might already know about the city, we specifically need Diplomacy checks. Decide amongst yourselves if you wish to aid another or roll your own checks.

What do you do?

Grand Lodge

Female NG Half-Orc Druid 7 | HP: 55/55 (4 Wis, ouch!) | AC: 22 (13 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 23 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 (+1 vs enchantment, +4 vs fey, plants) | Init: +4 | P: 12, SM: 3 | | Speed 20ft | Wildshapes: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1 | Active conditions: Longstrider./

Lisianthus tries to assist a more eloquent party member.

Spoiler:
Diplomacy to aid: 1d20 ⇒ 4

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt has a way with people. Unfortunately it is not a good way.
Despite this fact he follows Orst and attempts to help the Paladin discover what they can.

Aid-Diplomacy for Orst: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

OOC: Orst perhaps taking 10 might not be a bad idea for you. Your character is the only face in the party. OMG Xilt actually aided.

The Exchange

Male AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Current HP 51/57 | F +11 R +9 W +6 (+2 more vs spells, SLA, poison)) | Init +1 | Perc +12(+14 unusual stonework)

Dolph and Victor do their best to help out with the search for information, even if the Son of a Shepherd’s Old Country customs are a bit off-putting to some. At least his heart is in the right place.

Diplomacy (gather information) Aid for Orst: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Dolph may have a 6 charisma, but he has max ranks in diplo and both of his traits are invested in it, so he’s not terrible!

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

Kronug will keep his eyes out for trouble rather than aiding the gather information check.

Silver Crusade

Male|Paladin 6|hp 58/58|AC:25 T:12 FF:24|CMB+10,CMD21|Fort+9, Ref+7,Will+9|Init:+1, Perc:+0 Human Paladin 6

Orst will ask around about strange vandalism or building damage or even more vague references or property loss or damage.

diplomacy to gather info: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

feels like asking about UFO's. I did not add the two aids above. Total should be a 21.

Scarab Sages

Male N Sylph Witch 4 | HP: 17/26 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 14 10 Fl) | CMD: 13 (11 Fl) | F: +3, R: +4, W: +6 | Init: +8 | Perc: +8, SM +1 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: mage armor

An ancient man, winded, approaches the party. "Are you the Pathfinders? Something got confused along the way... I got to the briefing late, and then that made everything else late. But, I'm here now!" He stops a moment, catching his breath, bent over with both hands placed on both knees. You notice a light breeze constantly circulating around him, swirling his long thin hair and beard in motion.

Once he's caught his breath, he attempts to help gather information with the rest.

Diplomacy, aid: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14

Though gruff, the citizens of Kaer Maga don't respond to his attitude poorly.


Dragon's Demand | Hell's Vengeance | Hao Jin Cataclysm | Debt to the Quah | Beyond the Halflight Path

"Now, I've travelled that cursed Halflight Path a time or two in my life," a wheezing older dwarf tells Orst over a mug of ale, "but I'm not going back down there again until the Duskwardens take a close look at my complaint! I almost broke my neck - tripped over a wire someone strung up right next to a drop-off and I only just stopped myself from going over. 'Course, that meant I ended up flat on my face with my nose in the dirt and mud on my face. And what do I see there!?" He pauses dramatically, taking another swig as he waits for Orst to guess. "A footprint! 'Bout the size of my hand, but with scales and claws at the end of the toes. Plain as day, right there in the mud - 'course, when I took a Duskwarden back, he couldn't spot it. Typical." He spits on the tavern floor and wanders off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh, it was terrible! The most 'orrible thing I ain't ever laid eyes on!" an older woman whispers to Dolph, her wide eyes never resting in one place for long before darting to another dark corner behind the dwarf she is speaking to. "There I was, sleeping on my cousin Gel's guest room - well, more of a storage room, really, but the floor there's more comfy than some places - when I heard somethin' moving outside. I get up and start t' open the door, and I see Gel walking away, all calm-like. And then... I saw it!" She gasps at the memory, her gnarled hands clutching at the colorful scarf around her neck. "It was huge, li-like a walking octopus! I just stared at its eyes, and I felt myself drift away..." She doesn't speak for several seconds, mouth hanging open before continuing, "...and by the time I came to my senses, it was gone - and so was Gel! I'd bet my best bonnet they were headed towards the Halflight Path!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You know, I ain't been in this town too much," a young human man with a practiced smile tells Xilt as the half-orc peruses his wares. "But there were these folks last time I was here, asking about a sculpture of an eight-pointed star and made of dark stone. When I told them I aint got one of 'em with me right now, but I could rustle one up in a couple days for 'em, they got all offended-like and walked away. Said something about finding the vaults below the city as they were leaving. Ever since they came 'round asking their questions, folks 'ere been nervous 'bout going out at night. Really cuts down on the hours a poor traveling merchant can work, you know!" He beckons Xilt closer and whispers conspiratorially, "I think they might have even had something to do with ol' Kelgren Noc's murder! They were snooping around his place the day before it happened, see?" He straightens back up, smile back in place. "Now, you going to buy something or what?"

What do you do?

The Exchange

Male Half-Orc Wizard (Exploiter) 6
Timer:
Vanish 4/5 rd , Heroism 2 hr20 Min, Mage Armor 1hr, Blood Boiling Pill 8 hr, False Life 8 hr 9/12, Ablative Barrier 12 hr 25/30, Defending Bone 12 hr 30/30 Light ,Message
| HP 44/44 TMP:9 NL:5| AC 16 T 12 FF 14 DR 5/B| CMB +4 CMD 14 | F +12 R +9 W +11, +2 vs Cold| INIT +11| PER +9/+11 (Traps/Secret Doors) Darkvision 60' SM+3|30'|Vanish,Heroism,Mage Armor, Blood Boiling Pill, Ablative Barrier, Def. Bone, False Life
Resources:
Slush Fund 30/50 gold , Arcane Reservoir 2/6, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Rods (lesser): Intensify 3/3, Extend 0/3 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/5 3rd 0/3

Xilt gives the man a knowing look. He understands the profit motive all too well. He hands the human a small coin purse filled with gold.
He moves a bit closer to the man and lowers his voice.

"In regards to the murder tell us more about these people. Who are they and what is this eight pointed star that they wanted?

Did they mention where they ventured below?"

OOC: I am assuming that 10 gold would be an appropriate bribe. If it is too much my character would probably know with KS:Local and Appraise both being quite good.

OOC2: Would my character (or his familiar) know about this sculpture? Any appropriate KS check.

Dark Archive

HP 63/63| AC 18, T 10, FF 18, CMD 11 | F+10, R+4, W+13 | Init +0 (+2 during surprise) | Perception +33 Occultist 6
Resources:
L2 Spells (4/4) | L1 Spells (4/5) |A (4/4) C (4/5) D (6/6)

Kronug listens for the response to Xilt's questions.

1 to 50 of 283 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameday VIII - PFS #9-09 Beyond the Halflight Path - GM Hawthwile All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.