GM Endless Forms' Rise of the Runelords (Inactive)

Game Master Mike Tuholski

Spires of Xin-Shalast (Book 6)

Northeast Varisia | Xin-Shalast | Tactical Map

Sandpoint | Sandpoint Hinterlands | Varisia | LOOT!


4,001 to 4,050 of 4,673 << first < prev | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | next > last >>

Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Tape the Die

Sealman readies Isoult and steps in front of the party.

"Walking dead are coming, be ready!"

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25

Taking 10 to auto pass Kn Religion

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
"More restless spirits!", Miana calls out, channeling energy into her hand to try and dismiss it.

Lay on Hands: 7d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 3, 1, 4, 6, 4) = 24

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Perception: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27
Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Mindful of his surroundings, Lucian reacts instantly to the impending threat, once again channelling Desna's holy presence into this dark, forsaken cabin.

"Evil be purged! Let the spirits of this place roam free for all eternity!"

Channel: 7d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 4, 5, 3, 2, 1) = 19


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

The ratfolk goes down on all fours, frustrated after being unable to get gustatory satisfaction from the dwarf. She goes down on all fours and runs directly for the dwarf bones to gnaw on them. Some small part of her mind reasons the bones might also be a haunt, but she's just so damn hungry.


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Once (if?) the danger is removed, Lucian will take good care of Rissi's scarred mind, soothing her and conjuring Desna's healing powers.

Casting restoration so that Rissi may regain her senses.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Miana is able to remove the evil from the room before it harm anyone!

More later, can't update map or make a big post right now.


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Sealman walks over to the gnawing Rissi.

"No, not those. You don't know how long they've been there. They are dirty, very dirty."

The dwarf tries to scoop up the ratfolk under the belly like a large dog to stop him from further disturbing the haunted bones.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Just off this room are two smaller spaces: a closet which holds nothing of particular value and a room hidden behind a secret door which you have no trouble spotting.

Seven large burlap sacks sit against the northern wall of this small room, while to the west sits a small desk and chair. A leather-bound ledger lies atop the desk.

The ledger on the desk contains several detailed maps of the regions the brothers were mining, and locates all of their assay points and mines. Notes on the payout of each mine are listed—it appears that all of them have played out without imparting any particularly rich lodes. Several pages near the end of the ledger have been torn out.

Within the seven burlap sacks are quite a few valuables. Five are stuffed with gold dust and are worth 1,000 gp each. The last two actually hold gold nuggets and are worth 2,500 gp each. Each sack weighs 40 pounds. Hidden behind one of the sacks is a small coffer holding 14 uncut gems the brothers found, worth 50 gp each.

---

On the eastern side of the building are two other largish rooms: an entry room with muddy stains next to the door and a bunkroom with a large heavy skin of an elk thrown over the floor. There are a set of bunkbeds against the wall. A rack on the west wall holds a crossbow, two axes, and a light wooden shield. Beneath it is a large leather chest. A hooded lantern hangs unlit from a rafter. The leather trunk holds only mundane articles of rough clothing, a few grooming items, and various small trinkets of Shoanti manufacture.

Finally there is a porch on the eastern side which lets out on top of the cliff. The eaves of the overhanging roof are festooned with dozens of animal skulls, including bears, deer, aurochs, and various other animals. The posts supporting the overhang and the outside edge of the handrail itself are hung with racks of antlers. A stone chimney rises next to a door on the porch, and a couple of split logs have been set on the raised porch as furniture.

DC 25 Perception:
You notice the distant humanoid shape
turn to face the party.

DC 15 Knowledge (religion) to recognize the haunt, then a 10+ initiative to do anything about it. You know the drill.


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Tap the die

As Sealman makes his way to the top of the stairs, he nearly trips over the last step. He is startled for a moment as he hops back, then lets out a sigh of relief.

"Oh hello. My name is Seal. Nice place you got here."


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

Rissi fumes silently after regaining her senses.

perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (16) + 21 = 37

This time, when the haunt comes, the wizard already has a vial of holy water in hand. She throws it straight at the darkness.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
holy damage: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Perception: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (18) + 22 = 40
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27
Initative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Channel: 7d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 3) = 20

Once again, Lucian brings down holy starlight in the darkest cabin to expurge it of all its evil.

"Begone!"


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Lucian banishes the haunt before it causes any trouble!


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Sealman lights up a cigar and dons an imaginary trenchcoat.

"So what we have here is the death of two brothers. They died in an unjust and horrible fashion, hence the haunts. And this elk plays some part it too. We heard an elk's cry on our way in.

Now there are good elks and their on bad elks of myths. One is that of a great white stag, the helps hunters in times of need and has the wisdom of the world gone by. An evil incarnate is that of the wendigo, a half mad half-beast creature set out to drive all those around it mad. Those that do not run from it become its supper.

Oh it could have just been some bad cheese."


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

"If it was an elk, it was an elk from *chhh* another world. Perhaps the Elk from squeak Leng are just this murderous?" The ratfolk laughs at her own joke.

"Although, one wonders if they simple angered a local druid with their hunting." The wizard flies out past the edge of the cliff and stares down into the depths below. She calls back to the others as she makes a circle and returns to the porch. "Elk or no, we are no closer to Xin-Shalast. A map or chhh journal would be most useful."


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Sealman reviews the ledger to see if he can find any details of any abnormal findings that could be an extra-dimensional portal.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

gm rolls:

Kufieno: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24 (+2 traps)
Lucian: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (1) + 22 = 23 (+4 against surprise)
Evanya: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29
Miana: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
Sealman: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (4) + 24 = 28 (+2 stoneworking)
Rissi: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (2) + 21 = 23

As you look out from the cabin, you can see some bad weather moving in and snow starting to fall. Just as you turn to go back inside to search again for more information about Xin-Shalast, Evanya and Seal hear the faint sound of knocking coming from somewhere in the cabin, probably downstairs....

You rush downstairs to see what it is and soon everyone can hear it but then the knocking suddenly stops. A loud crack followed by a mighty hammering sound suddenly fills the cabin as its walls begin to shake and groan, almost as if the structure were giving up its purchase on the cliff edge and sliding off. The hammering continues, but now the faint images of starving dwarven ghosts can be glimpsed out of the corner of the eye.

You suddenly experience painful hunger pangs and must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save to resist taking 4d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d4 points of Constitution damage from the horrific hunger.

Voices can now be heard, in most cases wordless cries of pain, but now and then snatches of sentences like “eating us…” or “don’t let him…” or “so hungry….” The hammering continues, but now the starving ghosts seem to notice you for the first time....

You must make a DC 18 Will save—failure indicates that you are possessed as the ghosts themselves seem to flow into your body. Possession inflicts 1d6 points of Wisdom drain and may have other consequences....

The hammering and shaking means that each round you must make a DC 15 Acrobatics check; failure indicates you cannot move for that round, while failure by 5 or more indicates you fall prone. If a possessed character is adjacent to a helpless, non-possessed character and is not threatened by any other non-possessed character, he attempts a coup de grace action against the helpless character with the best weapon option he has. If a possessed character is adjacent to a dead character, he feeds on the body and takes no other actions unless he is attacked by someone else.

And all of that will last for three rounds. Have fun eating each other!


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

The wizard fights off the manifold assaults of the cabin, but she cannot keep to avoid being knocked to the ground by debries (despite flying several feet above the ground).

With ghosts on the prowl she decides caution is the better part of valor and applies a scroll of invisibility

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
concentration to cast: 1d20 + 27 ⇒ (19) + 27 = 46


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Fort Save: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36
Will Save: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
Auto Make Acrobatics.
1d6 ⇒ 3

Sealman's eyes roll back showing only the eyes of his eyes. He raises Isoult into a warrior's stance uttering a subhuman growl.

"I hunger for ire."

Are the Fort/Will Saves to be made every round?


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Rissi, don't forget that you had a Restoration spell cast on you, so you got your Wisdom back. (Your rolls appear to be correct, but your header isn't).

Fort: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29
Will: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16 Using my Inexplicable Luck feat after the roll to get a +4, which turns the result to a 20.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Lucian barely resists the urge of eating one of his comrades, but his lucky star must be watching over him. He fails to move forwards, but doesn't fall either. Gathering his wits, he casts a spell defensively to cover his bases as Sealman starts to lose his mind. A holy field of peace surrounds him, warding him.

Concentration: 1d20 + 32 ⇒ (6) + 32 = 38
Casting Sanctuary. Any creature attacking me must succeed on a DC 21 Will save to be able to attack.

Depending on the other people's actions (especially if anyone's possessed, Lucian might cast other spells on the other rounds.

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Is it a 1 Fort save?: 1d20 ⇒ 10
NL damage on failure: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 4, 4) = 13
Con damage on failure: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Is it a 1 Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 2 Closer than I'd prefer...

While Miana resists the haunt's effects, Sealman's words get her attention.

Auto pass the Acrobatics

Miana waits, looking around and seeing if she needs to intervene against the evil affecting her allies.

Ready action to grapple someone if they try to attack another party member.... sadly, no Improved Grapple, so I'll likely provoke.

Readied defensive grapple:

AC is 34
Grapple @ ???: 1d20 + 20 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 20 - 2 = 35


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge
Sealman Alerteyes wrote:
Are the Fort/Will Saves to be made every round?

Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear. No, you just roll the saves once. But if you are possessed, the possession lasts for three rounds. So since Seal is the only one possessed, I think it's time for Seal to go on a rampage for three rounds against random friends....

I'll let Seal handle that before moving on to the next development.


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Again for clarification, a possessed character will attack non-possessed character? I only ask because the only stipulation for attack was if somebody was helpless. I didn't know what to do if somebody is non-helpless, yet not possessed.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Sorry for the delay: yes, a possessed character will attack anyone. The stipulations above we just that if there was a helpless character, the possessed would perform a coup de grace unless someone else was threatening him. And if there is a dead character, the possessed starts eating them until attacked by someone else. But if neither of those are true, a possessed character just attacks at random.


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Round 1

As Rissi winks out of existence and Kufieno phases in and out of reality, Sealman rolls his head in the direction of of Miana and Lucian.

1d2 ⇒ 2

Sealman feels that manflesh would be the best to start with.

Will Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Sealman is about to attack the priest, but then think better of it. Next round he'll try for the monk.

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Seeing Sealman's eyes dart back and forth, Miana interposes herself between the dwarf and Lucian. "We'll have to give him a talking to about his reckless impulses if we can free him from this madness!"

Don't think I'd ever have to say this...
Smite Chaos @ Sealman!

With a deep sigh, Miana silently calls for Irori to grant her his blessing to safely subdue Sealman.

AC vs Sealman is now 38.

Grapple @ Sealman: 1d20 + 20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 20 + 4 = 33

But the dwarf's bulk is too much for her to control right now.
This will provoke against Sealman, too...


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Mwoo ah ah! I'll just let this resolve itself, haha.


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

AoO

As Miana tries to wrap her sinewy arms around Sealman's girth, he drops his head and tries slash at the Suli's hand with his boulder helm.

Headbutt o' Doom: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (9) + 24 = 331d4 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Round 2

Too close to allow Isoult to work, Sealman hops back in a flourish. He twists his body as he jumps, allowing Isoult to gather full momentum to try and uppercut Miana.

Isoult vs Miana: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29
Dmg: 3d6 + 25 ⇒ (2, 3, 4) + 25 = 34

Once he lands Sealman takes a huge woodsman chop at the monk, once aiming high, the second time aiming low.

Isoult vs Miana: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Dmg: 3d6 + 25 ⇒ (1, 3, 5) + 25 = 34

Isoult vs Miana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Dmg: 3d6 + 25 ⇒ (4, 1, 4) + 25 = 34


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Seeing Sealman being overrun by his dark urges, Lucian steps back and unleashes a potent wave of mystic energy to replace the dwarf's hunger by lust!

"Lust has been my sin... let it be yours!"

Casting waves of ecstasy at Sealman, Will DC 27 negates. Effect: "You emanate waves of intense pleasure that cause all targets within range to falter. Affected creatures are stunned for 1 round and are staggered for the remainder of the spell. A creature that makes its save is staggered for the first round and can act normally thereafter." Enjoy! ;)


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

Will Save: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Sealman stands there dumbfounded, dropping Isoult to the floor with a loud KLANG! His mind wanders back to the Iron Cages of Lust and the pillows. All the glorious pillows...

Sealman will be Stunned for round 3 and should be back to sorts after that. This should effectively end this encounter, unless Miana wants to get a few quick punches in while Sealman is Stunned. Sorry to let you down EF. Way to be a buzzkill, Lucian. Why don't you just kick my cat while you are at it. She's right here, looking up at me with her tiny head and big yellow eyes. Mew. ;o)

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Miana is surprised, then somewhat disgusted by Sealman's reaction. "You... didn't have to do that, Lucian. I think I would have preferred if you didn't."

This video is what I imagine Seal to be doing right now. Maybe sorta NSFW due to mild language, but should be ok.


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

Rissi speaks from her invisibility rattled. "It *chhh* occurs to me we could end such displays of lewdness by permanently putting these spirits to rest. Could it be that disposing of the howling creature we heard ealier might help? Maybe it is *squeak* related"

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

"Excellent observation; I would prefer we vanquish evil instead of trying to hold each other off."


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

I was more thinking of the dream scenes from American Beauty/The Big Lebowski but that will work too.

In his state of infatuation, Salman pips up.

"Why don't we just Bury the Bone..."

Seal speech is cut off as he gives the O-face and falls to the ground. His entire body shutters with orgasmic rapture lying on the floor.


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Miana's remark quickly wipes Lucian's grin off his face, then realizes what he's been doing. He shamefully lowers his head.

"Truly sorry, Miana. it just seemed like the right idea at the time. I didn't want Sealman to hurt you. You're absolutely right, of course. We need to find the source of all this evil."

"... are you alright, Sealman? You look as if you'd seen the devil."

... or a succubus, possibly trying to grapple him


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Lol, I don't know what you're talking about, I think it turned out fine!

All of the strange happens suddenly cease as an apparition appears before you: you see a balding dwarf with a dark brown beard. His facial features are curiously indistinct—he has no eyes, for example, and when he speaks, his lips barely even move.

“You… you are alive? You do not hunger? Ah… that is what I sense in your blood. Greed. You seek the City of Greed. You should abandon your quest, lest you end up like me. Cold. Dead. Eaten. But I suspect you cannot be swayed. Know then that I know the way to Xin-Shalast. I can show you the way, but only if you bring me my brother. He died on a ledge in the mountains a mile’s walk north from this cabin. I can feel his soul out there, still hungry, still insane. Bring his bones to me so that I might reconcile with him. Once he is at rest, I will show you the way so that I might rest as well…”

As he speaks, bite-sized bits and pieces of him tear loose and fade, leaving him a growing patchwork of red, until finally, not enough of him remains and the entire thing fades away.

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

"I see that our path is clear. Let us bring peace to the lost dwarves and bring some calm to their suffering."


Giant Slayer 17| HP 241/241 (214/292) |20% MC AC:23 T:15 FF:21 CMD: 41(45) | F+21 R+15 W+12 | Init +2 | Per +27

The ghost dwarf shakes Seal out of his fantasy. Standing up, he tries to wipe off any crud that my cling to him from the floor.

As the final bits of the ghost dwarf falls to the ground, Seal simply asks, "How are you supposed to show us where to go when you disappears like that?"

Seal nods in agreement with Miana's statement.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Sorry, tried to post this three times yesterday but kept failing with the poor wifi. Back from the conference now though.

Sealman Alerteyes wrote:
"How are you supposed to show us where to go when you disappears like that?"

Well there was the handy ledger earlier....

Luckily the ledger spells out many of the dwarves' mining locations, although several pages are torn out and no mention is made of Xin-Shalast. It seems from the book that the body must lie on a high mountain ledge overlooking the final mine the brothers worked. It is at the base of a 2,000-foot-tall cliff in the mountains, a mile north of the cabin. The remnants of what was once a well-worn trail between this mine and the cabin still exist.

---

The ground here is rough and uneven, covered with rubble and rocks and counting as difficult terrain. Near the eastern end of the ledge, a small number of gravestones protrude from the mist. Karivek’s body lies near a long-dead fire pit in the eastern portion of the ledge, frozen solid and preserved by the cold mountain air. The corpse still wears its padded armor, but is itself in frightful shape. Not only is it broken and mangled, as if it had fallen from a great height, but the body’s legs end in charred, blackened stumps where the feet had been burnt off.

As you approach the body, however, two things happen simultaneously: a ghostly body clearly recognizable as the dead dwarf lying on the ground moves out of the cliff to face you while a loud roar is heard and the head of a great frost wyrm shows above the ledge to the east!

gm rolls:

g: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Kufieno: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Lucian: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Miana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Rissi: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Sealman: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Initiative:

1. Kufieno, Lucian, and Rissi
2. Baddies
3. Seal and Miana

Kufieno, Lucian, and Rissi are up!


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

Rissi hisses at the magnificent, terrifying creature flying overhead; adapting quickly she unleashes a glowing ball of fire that blossoms in the air!

will v dragonfear: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31

Quickened intensified fireball (spell perfected)
15d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 3, 5, 3, 4, 6, 4, 4, 2, 5, 6, 6, 1, 2) = 58 DC 24 to half damage, this is on the dragon, 1.5 factor for being ice subtype not included
SR v. dragon: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (6) + 23 = 29

She quickly changes tactics and unleashes a prismatic spray at the beast.
SR v. dragon: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (5) + 19 = 24 ooh, that's low...
1d8 ⇒ 3 80 electricity, DC 27 halves.

She then flies to the side, hoping to escape the worst of the impending dragon's breath.

arcana?: 1d20 + 32 ⇒ (14) + 32 = 46
religion?: 1d20 + 27 ⇒ (4) + 27 = 31


Female Azata Lyrakien | HP 82/82 | AC:29 T:19 FF:25 CMD:25 | F+9 R+14 W+15 | Init +8 | Per +24

Evanya chants and waves her wand, bolstering the party's morale!

Good Hope


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Anticipating a frost breath from the wyrm and following Rissi's lead, Lucian quickly weaves a protective field around his companions.

Casting resist energy (cold), communal on the party. Everyone but Rissi gains resist 30 vs cold energy.


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Sorry, no dragon-fear and no dragon. My spelling of wyrm was actually a subconscious typo for worm, haha. It is indeed 'just' a frost worm and not a dragon. I'm guessing your tactics would still stand though.

Also, I moved Rissi a bit. You were flying where the cliff is.

Ref: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22
Ref: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24

Lucian protects everyone from the cold as Evanya offers hope for the trials ahead. Rissi, meanwhile, starts to punish the worm for thinking it could take advantage of you in your current situation. Her fire and electricity nearly burn the worm to a crisp, but it is now only angrier. She knows that these types of worms have a cold breath weapon and when killed they explode. They can also let out a fascinating trilling sound.

In fact, the worm lets out a blast of cold at you just as predicted:

cold hits everyone!: 15d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 3, 6, 2, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 2, 5, 5) = 51
DC 23 Ref for half

Initiative:

1. Kufieno, Lucian, and Rissi
2. Baddies
3. Seal and Miana

You guys are up!


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

reflex: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

25, 15 temps removed, 5 to me, 5 to Lucian I suppose, if we have shield other up.

With a wave of her wand Rissi unleashes another fireball - while quickly casting her own protection versus cold spell. 120 pts.

spell perfected quickened fireball off a wand using staff-like wand: 10d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 1, 1, 3, 5, 2, 2, 3, 1) = 25 37 pts with the cold subtype, DC 24 reflex halves

She then flies up! 20'


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

Shield Other is up for you indeed, Rissi. I guess that the damage would be divided between us two before taking its toll upon your temporary hp, so by my count I'll take 13, you take 12 temp, 3 left. The 13 cold damage I take from the shared pain is reduced to 0 thanks to my resistance to cold. If I'm not right, feel free to correct me!

Lucian winces when the freezing wave washes over him, but is barely affected by it thanks to his tremendous agility and his warding spell!
Ref: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 21 + 2 = 37
25 cold damage, reduced to 0 thanks to the resistance to cold.

Realizing that the true threat may lie with the ghostly dwarf - especially now that Rissi is handling the worm so well - Lucian chooses to charge his hand with a heal, then closes the distance to the dwarf and delivers the spell with his charred hand.

"Feel the relief of life, brother dwarf! Rest in peace."
Miss chance, high hits: 1d100 ⇒ 55
Melee touch attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
140 damage (DC 26 Will save halves) for the dwarf.

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Ahh shucks, not enough people around me to justify taking the hit for everyone :P

Reflex: 1d20 + 18 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 18 + 2 = 33

If the ghost survives the heal:

Miana then moves to aid Lucian, bringing holy energy into hand combined with Irori's blessing.

[ooc]Swift action smite @ ghost
Lay on Hands @ Ghost: 1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 20 + 2 = 34
Damage on hit: 7d6 + 22 ⇒ (2, 5, 2, 2, 2, 6, 6) + 22 = 47

If the ghost is gone:

Miana charges towards the worm, trying to dodge its bite and deliver a powerful kick infused with fire.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 26 - 5 ⇒ (11) + 26 - 5 = 32
PA Vital Strike @ worm w/ elemental assault fire: 1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 17 + 2 = 35
Damage on hit: 4d8 + 7 + 8 ⇒ (1, 3, 4, 1) + 7 + 8 = 24


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

Totally forgot to have ghost-dwarf do anything! Moved Lucian back a bit so I can retcon his actions. 1d4 ⇒ 3

The Vekker brother's ghost moves in to touch Seal!

touch attack: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
damage: 15d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 4, 2, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1, 5, 2, 5, 2, 6, 5) = 52
cold: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) = 7

---

Will: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Rissi finishes off the frost worm before it can do any more damage! Lucian then smacks the ghost-dwarf back for attacking Seal and Miana runs in for the killing kick!

Out of combat!

Karivek's corpse still wears his +4 improved cold resistance padded armor but his other gear has long since gone missing.

However, as you gather up the bones of the fallen dwarf to lay him to rest properly you hear another frightful howl, this time coming from the direction of the cabin. And snow is starting to fall...


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Lore) 8, Evangelist 10 | HP 165/165 | AC:36 T:20 FF:29 CMD: 30 | F+13 R+22 W+24 (+2 vs transmutation) | Init +5 | Per +25 (+4 to determine whether he's surprised), Darkvision 60ft

As the howl is heard, Lucian's look grows concerned, and he casts a spell to hasten the party's return to the cabin, then another spell to conjure an azata when the cabin is in sight.

Casting Mass Fly (lasts 140 minutes) on the whole party, then an extended Summon Monster VI to call a Lilend Azata (lasts 28 rounds).


The Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge

As you return to the cabin with Karivek's bones, a strange sense of calm seems to fill the structure and even the howling sounds of the coming blizzard outside seem muted and quiet in the area, but this is in total contrast to the terror waiting for you and blocking your way in: a horrifying elk-creature with its humanoid legs ending in burnt stumps, floating above the ground!

As soon as it sees you, it lets out a fearsome howl!

DC 28 Will save to avoid becoming panicked for 1d4+4 rounds

gm rolls:

wen: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
Kufieno: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Lucian: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Miana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Rissi: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28
Sealman: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Initiative:

1. Wendigo
2. Rissi, Kufieno, Lucian, Miana, and Seal

You guys are up!


Spell Effects:
heroism, false life, mage armor, mind blank, overland flight
Stats:
Wizard 17 | HP 121/121| AC:19 T:19 FF:15 CMD: 23 | F+13 R+13 W+15 | Init +11 | Per +24 (darkvision)

will vs. mind-effecting (including fear): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22
rounds: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

In spite of numerous magical defenses, the sheer unearthliness of the howl causes the ratfolk wizard to flee at top speed.

Silver Crusade

Female Suli Paladin 3/ Monk-Un 4/ CoI 10 | HP 181/181 | AC 28 (39)* T 28 (30) FF 24 (35)* | F +22 R +20 W +21* (22) | CMD 48 | Init +4 | Perc +20 | Smite 3/3 Lay on Hands 12/12 Stunning Fist 14/14 Elemental Assault 17/17 Ki Points 13/14 Inevitable Fist 17/17

Anyone within 10' of me has +4 to their Will save :)... although it doesn't help Rissi.

Likewise, I'm immune to fear :)
More later

4,001 to 4,050 of 4,673 << first < prev | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Endless Forms' Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.