DM RichD's Giantslayer Campaign

Game Master Briccone

GiantSlayer Book 2: The Hill Giant's Pledge
Part 3: Redlake Fort

The heroes infiltrate an abandoned border fort full of orcs, ogres, and hill giants to end the threat against Trunau once and for all, only to learn of a much greater danger: a mysterious warlord amassing an army of giants for some fell purpose.


301 to 350 of 3,582 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"Under the stairs, eh? Feel my axe, vermin!" Bormann shouts as he chops at the one on the right.
axe attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Gnok and Jocosa just sit and wait for Bormann to finish off the centipedes or for Kranzer to switch places, if he wants to.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 1

Bormann's axe leaves a huge gash in the centipede as it falls backwards dead.

Next Up: Kranzer, but if anyone can take an action feel free to do so.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta stays back, trying to see what's going on inside the room!


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer lashes out with with his hopeknife and shortsword.

"Mind the legs, eh? Some good eatin' there!"

hopeknife: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

shortsword: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 1 Cont'

Kanzer tries to stab the insect with his short sword and hopeknife but misses. The centipede tries to bite Kranzer in return.

Bite Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Damage: 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

@Kranzer Fort Save DC13:
Poison: Frequency-1/round for 6 rounds; effect- Dex Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2 cure-1 save. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Gnok, Greta, Drosk and Jocosa all want to get into the fight but can't get into the room.

Round 2
Bormann Grimm 19(15/15)
Kranzer Kraken-Maw 19(11/11) WOUNDED
Centipede 2 18(5/5)
Gnok Earthstone 15(11/11)
Greta Bolkasdottir 13(10/10)
Centipede 1 11(0/5) DEAD
Drosk Ironhame 10(8/8)
Jocosa 9(18/18)

Tactical Map updated


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Round One:

"What's goin' on up there?" Drosk calls to his companions while keeping an eye out for any other creatures that might surprise the group. (Delay)

Round Two:

(Continue to delay until an enemy appears within sight.)


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"Centipedes! Big ones!" Bormann calls back to Drosk. "Just a couple. Pierce their shell and they die fast as anything else."

axe attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
"The shell is fairly tough, though," he adds as it resists his axe's bite.


Not being able to reach the creatures, Gnok does his best to encourage the front two, "get em Bormann and Kranzer"

Then he and Jocosa break out the pom-poms and do a jig! heheh


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 2 Cont'

Bormann tries to finish this centipede as easily as he finished off its mate but this centipede seems a bit more resilient.

Up Next: Kranzer


N Male Companion Cat, Big (Tiger) animal 3 (HP 27 AC:18 T:14 F:14 Saves F:+4 R:+7 W:+3 CMB:+4 CMD:18 Init:+4 Perc: +2)

Jocosa acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 DC is Opponent's Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD) - Pass no AOO, fail AOO for centipede
Jocosa bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 191d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Jocosa, tired of waiting moves thru Bormann next to the centipede(F7) and bites it damaging the creature.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 2 Cont'

Jocosa, feeling flush from her victory over the dire rat, is tired of waiting for someone to put this last centipede out of its misery. With a roar she barrels past Bormann and chomps down hard on the centipede. The centipede, in its death throes bites the cat.

Bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Damage: 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

@Jocosa Fort Save DC13:
Poison: Frequency-1/round for 6 rounds; effect- Dex Dex Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3 cure-1 save. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus

Out of Round Mode

Kranzer & Jocosa Wounded and need to make Fort Saves


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Kranzer feels whatever it is trying to affect him and growls low under his breath, holding his wound.


N Male Companion Cat, Big (Tiger) animal 3 (HP 27 AC:18 T:14 F:14 Saves F:+4 R:+7 W:+3 CMB:+4 CMD:18 Init:+4 Perc: +2)

Jocosa Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Jocosa Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
dex 14/17, -1 reflex, -1 ac, -1 initiative, -1 on skills using dex, no other dex based affects
hp 17/18

Jocosa stumbles a bit after killing the centipede, then goes to Gnok with a look in her eyes that says help me.


"It's ok girl, you killed it. I can't help you now, but maybe tomorrow." Gnok talks soothingly to the cat and strokes her head and neck.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Bormann continues to climb the stairs to the loft and much to your surprise, most of this wooden loft is still standing—this is the only remnant of the building’s destroyed second floor. The roofless chamber is completely exposed to the elements and filled with soot-covered debris, fire-damaged furnishings, and charred wooden beams. A large, soot-covered brass statue of a goddess with a longsword in one hand and a kite shield in the other stands precariously on the northern edge of the platform above a rickety flight of stairs.

Knowledge (Religion) DC10:
The statue is of Iomedae.

Tactical Map Updated


"Does anyone know what that statue is?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

DC 10 Knowledge (religion) check - untrained: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

"Iomedae. Still watchin' over Her ruined temple. I wonder if High Priestess Varvatos would want this brought back to the Sanctuary? Probably easiest to rig up a block an' tackle an' lower it down from the outside since the roof is gone. Wouldn't want to try to take it down those rickety stairs," Drosk muses aloud.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str
Drosk Ironhame wrote:


"Iomedae. Still watchin' over Her ruined temple. I wonder if High Priestess Varvatos would want this brought back to the Sanctuary? Probably easiest to rig up a block an' tackle an' lower it down from the outside since the roof is gone. Wouldn't want to try to take it down those rickety stairs," Drosk muses aloud.

"If they have left her here this long after the fire, they probably prefer to leave her here. Let her preside over her temple. Though, we could clean her up a bit, out of respect," Bormann adds, looking about for something that might help clear the soot and grime.


"Aye, that we can do Bormann" and Gnok helps Bormann clean the soot and stains off the statue.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Besides Bormann and Gnok, is anyone else cleaning the statue, and if not what are you doing and where are you in the room?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk casts a minor spell to clean the dust and grime from the statue.

Cast Prestidigitation to clean the statue.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

You all work on cleaning the statue, and when you are done the statue looks almost brand new. As you stand there and admire your handiwork, the clouds cause the sun's rays to form what looks like a longsword on the statue. Although none of you worship The Inheritor, you feel her blessings course through your veins.

+1 to hit for 1 day or in practical terms, until the second time you rest.

Next?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Well, we've seen what's up here. Let's get back to followin' those tracks down those steps where we fought the rats."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"Aye. Perhaps we have taken a first step in letting this place take control of its history. But I too am ready to see what else there is to see." Bormann adds.


"Aye, lead the way."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann backtracks to the stairs down past the rat corpses. He pauses briefly at the top of the stairwell once more to listen for any movement below.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta would have helped clean the statue, out of a sense of religious duty and obligation to another beneficial diety. Back from GenCon!

Greta pauses. "Did the battle injure anyone? I can soothe wounds, with the power of my lady Bolka."


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer says, spitting on the nearest wall. "Eh 'is just a scratch. I'll get'em better next time though!"

Kranzer follows behind Bormann, senses honed for trouble, but his wound still distracting him enough.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta sighs, having known the disconcerting need of the manly dwarf to avoid showing pain or admitting weakness. She murmurs a prayer to Bolka, probably to save her from the machismo, and channels to heal. Healing for all: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

With Bormann and Kranzer both hearing nothing, Kranzer leads the party down the stairs. The stone stairs end in a stark subterranean chamber. Doorways to the northwest and southwest offer egress from the room. Around the corner to the south, a lone statue has been relegated to a dusty corner behind the stairs both her hands wrapped loosely around the hilt of her sheathed sword, which looks oddly askew. The statue looks like the same lady from the loft-Iomedea.

Tactical Map Updated


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann moves forward, passing Kranzer, and into the chamber. He cautiously moves to the corner (P8) so that he and Kranzer sort of flank one of the passages out of the room. He tries to do so as quietly as possible (though he's not generally too stealthy).
Stealth: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (7) - 3 = 4


Gnok and Jocosa enter the room and while Bormann keeps an eye on the first passage way to the north, they move over to the the second passageway(Q6).

Whispering to his friend, "smell anything girl?"


N Male Companion Cat, Big (Tiger) animal 3 (HP 27 AC:18 T:14 F:14 Saves F:+4 R:+7 W:+3 CMB:+4 CMD:18 Init:+4 Perc: +2)

Jocosa, scent: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Jocosa sticks her head up, and sniffs the air.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Bormann passes Kranzer and looks down the hallway which looks like it turns to the east. Gnok and Jocosa look down the other corridor which ends in a portcullis. The door to the west of them is closed and the statue is to the south of them. When Gnok asks Jocosa if she smells anything the great cat smells the air, looks down the corridor with the portcullis and lets out a low growl that bears all her teeth.

Tactical Map Updated

Which way - The corridor in P5 or the one in O9?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
DM RichD wrote:
Around the corner to the south, a lone statue has been relegated to a dusty corner behind the stairs both her hands wrapped loosely around the hilt of her sheathed sword, which looks oddly askew. The statue looks like the same lady from the loft-Iomedea.

Drosk steps behind Jocosa and studies the statue. "Kranzer, does this statue's sword look odd to you?" the wizard asks.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann nods to Kranzer. "I will watch for trouble here. Go check out the statue with Drosk."

Bormann otherwise stands his ground, guarding this flank while his companions make more detailed examinations of the surroundings.


"There is something down that corridor" and Gnok points to the corridor where he and Jocosa are standing."


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

"Well lemme see, never really one for chivalry an' all that, but oh well!" Kranzer scans the statue. At the same time, he keeps his eye on the corridor where Gnok is pointing.

Perception (Traps): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Kranzer: You do not see any traps on the statue, but the longsword looks really well made.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

What next: Statue? Corridor in P5? or Corridor in O9?


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

"That sword'll fetch a right good price. What'ya think? Think the good lady'll let us use it, eh? Ya might wanna see if any magic's about first, though."

I vote O9.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

If Jocosa is reacting to something down the corridor, I'm OK with going down O9. Of course, we also have a door next to us too...


"Kranzer, you are the scout. Which way is best?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk casts a minor cantrip to reveal magical auras and studies the longsword and statue, and then the general surroundings. Cast Detect Magic


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Drosk: There are no magical auras on either the statue or the longsword. (The longsword is masterwork)


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Any sign of the tracks that led us to the stairs? Otherwise, I'm okay with going down passageway O9 as well.

Borman, would you like to take the masterwork longsword?


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Drosk: None that you can see.

Sounds like the majority is voting for O9. Is Kranzer scouting out ahead or are you going down en mass?


"Lets go" suggests Gnok, and he waits for Kranzer and Bormann to go then he and Jocosa fall in behind them.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

With Kranzer leading the way, you all make your way down to the portcullis, which is down. Peering through the bars, you see that embedded into the floor of this chamber is a ten-foot-diameter granite emblem of a faded gold and white longsword. Four passages lead out of the chamber in different directions. A ladder in the southern corner of the room leads upward, and a small chest and decrepit bookshelf face one another from opposite walls.

In the middle of the room, Kranzer sees a local half-orc by the name of Daktani conversing with a strange creature. They are both focused on you as they heard you coming down the hall.

The creature licks a huge tongue around her toothy maw and says to Daktani,

Giant:
Dwarves?! I had not had dinner before I came here, but dwarf stew will be more than worth the wait!

A look of fear passes over Daktani's face as he says,

Giant:
Make sure you kill them all else they will identify me!

Initiative:

Bormann Grimm: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Drosk Ironhame: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Gnok Earthstone: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Greta Bolkasdottir: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
Jocosa: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Kranzer Kraken-Maw: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Daktani: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Creature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Round 1
Kranzer Kraken-Maw 20(11/11)
Drosk Ironhame 19(8/8)
Jocosa 14(18/18)
Creature 13(22/22)
Gnok Earthstone 10(11/11)
Bormann Grimm 9(15/15)
Daktani 8(20/20)
Greta Bolkasdottir 4(10/10)

Up First: Kranzer

Tactical Map Updated

301 to 350 of 3,582 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's GiantSlayer Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.