DM RichD's Giantslayer Campaign

Game Master Briccone

GiantSlayer Book 2: The Hill Giant's Pledge
Part 3: Redlake Fort

The heroes infiltrate an abandoned border fort full of orcs, ogres, and hill giants to end the threat against Trunau once and for all, only to learn of a much greater danger: a mysterious warlord amassing an army of giants for some fell purpose.


151 to 200 of 3,601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Does Greta know Katrezra is?


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann grumbles, "That is disappointing. I was hoping for something that might indicate why Rodrik would not have struggled while getting his wrists cut and bleeding to death. I cannot detect the effects of magic that is probably long gone anyway, nor poisons or other drugs. A blow to the head, that I can understand."

At the High Priestess's mention of Katrezra, Bormann speaks up, "Katrezra? Who is that? A friend of Rodrik's?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk studies the auras emanating from Rodrick's longsword, dagger, and ring in an attempt to identify the magical properties of the items.

Spellcraft check to ID Longsword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Spellcraft check to ID Dagger: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Spellcraft check to ID Ring: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Drosk points to the half-filled flask found in Rodrik's uniform. "Yer Grace, do ye know if this flask was found on Rodrik's body? Would it be possible for ye or one of yer priests to cast a spell to detect poison on the contents of this flask and on Rodrik's body?"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@ Greta & Kranzer Knowledge (Local) DC15:
You have heard of a half-orc seer who has taken refuge in Trunau from his orc tribe. In spite of his orcish heritage, he has proven himself as a defender of Trunau and has many friends.

Bormann wrote:
"Katrezra? Who is that? A friend of Rodrik's?"

Tyari thinks for a moment. I am not sure if they were friends. I know Rodrik came here many times to see him, but I wasn't privy to their conversations. Perhaps Brantos Calderon might know. He is one of the Inheritor's warriors and has taken care of Katrezia, who is in constant pain and has trouble moving about.

She calls out in a loud voice Jasper! see if Mr. Calderon is available.

@Drosk:
+1 Longsword, not sure of the dagger, Ring of Protection +1

Drosk wrote:
"Yer Grace, do ye know if this flask was found on Rodrik's body? Would it be possible for ye or one of yer priests to cast a spell to detect poison on the contents of this flask and on Rodrik's body?"

As far as I know, it did. Both the Grath boys were given a flask on their 18th birthday and each one keeps it with them. Perhaps Brantos can detect poison on it. I usually do not prepare that spell since I don't leave the Sanctuary often.

A few minutes later, Jasper escorts a severe, hawkish man into the room. He is wearing full-plate armor and a longsword hangs at his side in a scabbard. A flaming longsword is also engraved on the breast of his armor. He looks at all of you and then his eyes settle on the body of Rodrick, undressed and with his uniform and equipment spread out neatly on the floor. His face turns a deep crimson and his voice in a barely controlled rage says, What is the meaning of this! Why has one of the Lady of Valor's own been treated this way! He glares at Tyari You better have a good explanation for this!

Tyari has been in Iomedae's service for a long while and has defended against many a raid and therefore is not so easily cowered. These dwarves have been asked by Kurst to look into Rodrik's death and they have made a compelling case that it was not a suicide. If it was murder would not the Inheritor want us to help find the evil responsible? They think he might be have been poisoned. Do you have a detect poison spell available to you?

The Paladin's visage softens as he says, Murdered? Why would someone want to do such a thing? I do have the spell, but I hope you are correct and that the body of one of the Inheritor's own wasn't mistreated for no reason!

He goes over and casts the spell n the body and flask and his moth opens wide. The Inheritor's Sword! I do detect poison, but I am unsure what poison it was. This is dire news! dire news indeed! How can I help you?


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Knowledge Local: 1d20 ⇒ 8


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

"Well I ain't heard'a no person with that name 'ere, and I know everybody! Let's see what they've gotta say."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann, who had been steaming at the provocative words of Calderon, smiles with grim satisfaction as the paladin's attitude makes a quick turn. "Aye. There is our evidence. A poisoner robbed him of an honorable death in battle. How cowardly and base!"

"My brothers, and sister, I think we have all we came here for. Let the acolytes of the church prepare their man for his final journey. We have a murderer to find."

"And you!" he rounds on the paladin. "Keep a civil tongue in your head regarding us dwarves when you speak of things about which you know nothing!"


Gnok grins at his brother dwarfs response to the paladin. Heh, that one is more uptight than Miah he thinks to himself. "Agreed brother. Let us go back to where the poisoned wolves were let into the town and try and backtrack from there so we can determine perhaps where and how they and Rodrik were poisoned."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Brantos bites his tongue at the dwarf’s rebuke. He realizes that he was wrong, but who was this stranger to talk to him so? Why isn’t the church investigating Rodrik’s death? he muses when he hears Tyari say, Unless our guests have any further questions to ask you, I think you can go, noble Calderon. Her efforts to take the sting out of the verbal dressing down that he received helping a little.

Ask any questions of Brantos Calderon here

Seeing that he would be of no further use, he nods curtly, glares at Kranzer and says We’ll catch up soon, Kraken-Maw! and makes his exit.

Tyari will help you re-dress Rodrik and when finished, will caress his cheek and turn to you and say, Before I attend my other duties, do you have any more questions for me?

Ask any questions of Tyari Varvatos here.

Insert any other remaining activities at the sanctuary here.

Unfortunately, I have no more insight into your investigation. Tyari says with a sad smile. Iomedae’s light shines on those who seek the truth, however, and you are always welcome at this Sanctuary should you need healing or other assistance from the church.

Where to next? Brinya Kelver, Site of the wolf attack, somewhere else?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"We appreciate ye casting the detection spell, Sir Calderon," Drosk thanks the paladin. "The High Priestess mentioned that Rodrik met frequently with a seer named Katrezia, an' that you help to take care of him. Would ye help us meet with him? Rodrik might've said somethin' to him that could be a clue."

"Yer Grace?" Drosk adds, turning to the high priestess. "Would ye mind if we took Rodrik's flask with us? I'd like to get this poison identified. Is there an alchemist here in Trunau who would be able to do that?"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/
Drosk wrote:
"We appreciate ye casting the detection spell, Sir Calderon," Drosk thanks the paladin. "The High Priestess mentioned that Rodrik met frequently with a seer named Katrezia, an' that you help to take care of him. Would ye help us meet with him? Rodrik might've said somethin' to him that could be a clue."

Well here is a civilized dwarf! the Paladin thinks to himself. I have not seen Katrezia since we all heard the news of Rodrik, Good Dwarf. He turned pale, as pale as a half-orc can be, excused himself and that was it.

Drosk wrote:
"Yer Grace?" Drosk adds, turning to the high priestess. "Would ye mind if we took Rodrik's flask with us? I'd like to get this poison identified. Is there an alchemist here in Trunau who would be able to do that?"

If you think that it will help in the investigation, go ahead, but I am sure his family would like him to be buried with it. Tyari says. As far as someone who knows about alchemy, try Agrit Staginsdar. I am sure Greta and Kranzer will be able to take you to the House of Wonders.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer says, "Well seein' as how he was poisoned, I think the wolf tracks may lead us to a better lead, eh cousins? I say we head that'a'way."

Survival check to aid any further tracking. Otherwise, Perception for any other dangers in town.

Survival (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta frowns, as the plot thickens. 'Poison and murder... Who would want to do such a thing?'


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"Gnok and I already followed the wolf tracks as far as they went - and that was to a crate from which they were released. Neither of us thought tracking further would be very helpful. The person who released them would have been well away from there."

Bormann, never much of a thinker, nevertheless puts his mind to the problem as best he can. "Both the wolves and Rodrik's murder involved poison. They could be from the same person - someone who likes to use poisons. But the poisons themselves are different - one drove the wolves into a frenzy, attacking when they should be fleeing, the other put Rodrik in a condition that allowed someone to murder him without a fight and fake his suicide."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Where to next?

Brinya Kelver
Site of wolf attack
Agrit Staginsdar
Omast Frum
Somewhere else?


"I believe we might be able to backtrack from where the wolves were let into the compound, but if anyone else has a better idea, I will go along with it."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

To help keep this straight in my head:
Brinya Kelver - Rodrik's lover
Omast Frum - family friend, "uncle"
Agrit Staginsdar - at House of Wonders for poison ID
Morninghawk's Fine Steel - about hopeknife order

"Aye, we could go back to where the wolves were released. That is close. Otherwise, I think we could go to Morninghawk's and the House of Wonders next. Kelver and Frum are probably going to be more emotional - I would rather visit them after the initial shock sinks in and we have more information about the poison or knife order."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Bormann: You are correct in your assumptions. To make matters even more confusing, Agrit is married to Sara Morninghawk, who owns the Clamor (Morninghawk's Fine Steel). I think soon we will need a flowchart!


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
High Priestess Tyari Varvatos wrote:
If you think that it will help in the investigation, go ahead, but I am sure his family would like him to be buried with it. Tyari says. As far as someone who knows about alchemy, try Agrit Staginsdar. I am sure Greta and Kranzer will be able to take you to the House of Wonders.

"Of course, yer Grace, we'll bring Rodrik's flask back along with his hopeknife before the funeral," Drosk replies to the high priestess. "An' we'll be sure to speak with Agrit Staginsdar."

When is Rodrik's funeral scheduled?

Bormann Grimm wrote:
"Aye, we could go back to where the wolves were released. That is close. Otherwise, I think we could go to Morninghawk's and the House of Wonders next. Kelver and Frum are probably going to be more emotional - I would rather visit them after the initial shock sinks in and we have more information about the poison or knife order."

"Aye. Morninghawk's smithy is nearby, an' we could check with the gate guards to see if that large group of half-orcs and thuggish folk left town this mornin' while we're at it," Drosk suggests. "The House of Wonders is located in the upper part of town, near Brinya Kelver's. An' each place we go we can ask if anyone's seen Omast Frum."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Drosk: Usually Tranau's are buried the next day, if the dead is of some importance, then two days. Since this is a murder investigation, Tyari will agree to cast gentle repose on the corpse every day until it, the hopeknife or flask are no longer needed in the investigation.

You all go back to the crates where the wolves were released from and you find some human tracks that lead back to a road where it disappears in the multitude of other tracks. Besides the front of the crate that is rigged to open and close when a rope is pulled or released, there is nothing remarkable about the crates or any identifying markings.

As you near Morninghawk's Fine Steel, known locally as the Clamor, you hear the clang clang of hammer on metal, which to many of you is music to your ears. As you enter, you feel the heat of the forge on your faces and the sound of the bellows blowing air at the coals to keep them hot. A burly, half-orc, female is busy hammering a hopeknife against an anvil. I will post a picture of her when I get home tonight. She looks up breifly and says, I'll be with ye in a minute, can't let this knife cool before it is shaped. She continues to beat on it with her hammer, turning it over and repeating the process and then giving both sides a quick but thorough examination, thrusts it in a pail of water. Steam and and a loud swoooosh fill the air of the cramped smithy. Removing the blade from the water and examining once again, she moves it to a bench where she will add the hilt. She wipes her hands on her apron greets you in dwarven and in common says, Do ye weapons need repairs or will ye be placing new orders? She spies Greta and a smile spreads accross her face. Greta! How are ye? I haven't seen ye since you married Agrit and I! Have ye finally decided to trade in that mace for an axe? Perhaps one like your friends here. She says indicating Bormann and Drosk. Or a blade like your other friend here? she says indicating the schimitar in Gnok's scabbard. And YOU Kraken-Maw! What say instead of that short sword, I'll make ye a longsword! She starts to grab some order forms. Now what will ye all be wanting?


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta smiles a Sarah, though it's a tight smile. "Alas no, Bolka prefers the mace. Something about the option of merely knocking them unconscious appeals to Her. I'm sorry to say we're here on sad tidings: Rodrik is dead. And we need your help."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Image of Sara Morninghawk has been added to the Campaign info tab.

Sara stands there frozen, the order forms still in her hands Rodrik's dead? When? How? Who? Of course I will help! What do ye need?


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer shrugs and says, "I like ma blades short and quick to the draw, if ya know what I mean. Ha ha!"

As he says this he takes a shortsword out of his sheath and flips it around on his palm almost unconsciously.

"We're lookin' for information. Rodrik ordered a hopeknife before he died. The work order be here with one of ma cousins. Says Urusul was the smith. Know anythin' about it?"


"He was poisoned, then someone who did not know what they were doing slit his wrists to make it look like suicide."

Gnok looks at the smith. "It is not an honorable way to die."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann resolves to remember to play poker with Gnok sometime in the not too distant future.
"Yeah, we have what I guess is a receipt. Does this mean Rodrik got the engraved blade or is this an order for work yet to be finished?"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Can I see that? The burly smith asks as she takes the receipt. Yep! This is my receipt all right. Rodrik ordered it about a week ago. I did the preliminary work meself and then I handed the blade over to one of me apprentices. I guess it doesn’t matter so much anymore, but I wonder where it went—it must be around here somewhere. I’ll bet that clumsy oaf Urnsul put it somewhere before she up and quit the other day; it’s hard to get good help. I’ll let ye know if I find the blade. She says as she searches through her smithy, the ringing of metal on metal sounding like some strange wind chime.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer asks, "Do ya know where Urnsul is now?"

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Forgemistress Morninghawk, do ye have any idea why Rodrik would order a hopeknife with an engravin' sayin' 'For Rodrik, my love'? Seems like that'd be somethin' that Brinya Kelver would order," Drosk observes. "Speakin' of Brinya Kelver, have ye seen her around today? Or Omast Frum, for that matter?"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

As she continues searching in vain for the missing hopeknife, Sara says Not a clue where that Urnsul is now. Seein' how I can't find where she put Rodrik's hopeknife, I say good riddance! All she had to do was inscribe it, ye think the dolt could have done that and put it somewhere where it can be found!

She starts to head to a small closet, thinks better of it and re-searches the bench where the engraving tools are.

In response to the question about the engraving Sara lets out a chuckle. Greta and Kraken-Maw here can tell ye that lovers exchange hopeknives when they become engaged to be married. She then pulls out her hopeknife which is engraved with the following in dwarven: 'For Sara, My Love, My Forge'. I have Agrit's knife and she has mine! She admires the inscription before replacing it in the sheathe and returns to looking for Rodrik's Hopeknife. This is gonna bother me all day! If ye are looking for Brinya, she should be easier to find then this dern knife. she should be at the boardinghouse, as far as Omast, that is a more interesting hunt. Ye can check the tavern, or see if he ain't under some tree drinkin' or he could be tryin' to clean that graffiti that's been seen 'round town.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"If Rodrik left his hopeknife here for the engraving, then the hopeknife left behind should belong to someone else. Would you be able to identify another person's hopeknife?"

Bormann gestures for the bloody hopeknife to be brought out in the open for the master smith to examine.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Sara takes a look at the hopeknife and examines it thoroughly. Yep! This is the knife I crafted for Rodrik and the same one Urnsul was supposed to engrave. How did ye come across it? Not for nothing, ye could have told me ye had it fore I tore apart me shop! Looks like that good for nothing never did engrave it. Serves me right for taking pity on the girl after hearing her story. She hands you back the knife. I am guessing Rodrik's beloved won't want it engraved now. she says with a sad look.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"This was the knife found with Rodrik's body. It was made to look like he cut his wrists with it, but with the help of Brantos Calderon at the Sanctuary we discovered that Rodrik was actually poisoned first," Drosk explains. "We just didn't realize that this was the knife that he ordered, since it didn't have the engravin' on it."

"So what was Urnsul's sad story, if ye don't mind us askin'? Drosk queries.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Ye went to the Sanctuary already? Sara asks. And did they tell ye anything else besides the poison?

Sense Motive DC12:
She seemed nervous when you mentioned the Sanctuary.

Urnsul came to Trunau several weeks ago. She could hardly speak the common tongue and said that she was a refugee from the Twisted Nail tribe where she was abused because of her human heritage. She had no coin and really needed the work so I figure I'd take her on. Looks like it was a big mistake on me part!


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 For pity's sake!


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
Sara Morninghawk wrote:
Ye went to the Sanctuary already? Sara asks. And did they tell ye anything else besides the poison?

DC 12 Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

"Aye, we did, Forgemistress," Drosk replies, eyes narrowing at the half-orc's reaction to his mentioning of the temple. "They said that we should talk to Agrit Staginsdar about the poison, an' they said that Rodrik's friend Katrezia the seer disappeared when he heard about Rodrik's death. We were hopin' he could tell us somethin' about what Rodrik was investigatin'. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of people are disappearin' lately."

"Ye wouldn't happen to know anythin' that would help us out, would ye? Have ye seen Katrezia today?" Drosk asks, watching Sara Morninghawk carefully as she responds to his questions.

Sense Motive check for Sara's response: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Bormann notices Sara Morninghawk's reaction as well and bluntly steps right into the topic.
"Is there a problem with the Sanctuary? Other than an overly haughty paladin, that is?


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Sara crosses her arms. No problem with the Sanctuary at all and for Katrezra, no I haven't...

At this time the closet door opens and an elderly, half-orc limps out. No need to lie, Ms. Morninghawk. He sighs and looks at all of you, I am Katrezra, I guess you have been looking for me?


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Kranzer says, "What were ya hidin' in there for?" He looks at Sara. "What's all this about then? Out with it."


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta gives a start when the oracle appears, her nerves threaded thin by the circumstances. "Katrezra, yes we have been. We need to know everything you know about Rodrik and the last couple days."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

The elderly half-orc sighs wearily. Everything? Well I guess I should start at the beginning. Rodrik originally approached me to ask for advice while courting Brinya Kelver. No slight to you mistress Greta, but I guess he figured I would know more of the ways of the orcs than a dwarf. Katrezra chuckles at this briefly before continuing. The love-struck fool—bless his soul—thought I might have some special insights into the traditions of our people or visions of the couple’s everlasting happiness... but come now, do I look like the romantic type?” He smiles wryly, Don't answer that Mistress Greta. He then shakes his head and moves on. I couldn’t help him with his relationship, but we gradually became close friends. I’d been experiencing vivid hallucinations of white swords or crosses, and dreams of the Plague House outside town.

@Kranzer & Greta:
The Plague House, also known as the Burned Church, was Trunau’s original church of Iomedae. When orc raiders burned the building down and killed the priests within, the church of Iomedae decided to build a new chapel inside the city walls. The ruined church became known as the Plague House following a tragedy 50 years ago, when Trunau was afflicted with a plague. The town’s authorities hastily rebuilt the structure and used it to quarantine the plague victims, but a mysterious fire consumed the building a few days later, killing everyone inside—patients and healers—and leaving the infamous site once again in ruins. None have attempted to rebuild it since.

When I told him of them, he seemed to think my dreams might help with his investigation. I told him about my visions as best I could, but the muse of my nightmares is as abstruse as she is unkind.

To be truthful, I don’t think even he knew exactly what he was investigating. Rodrik had run afoul of a flood troll in the Plague House not long ago, and the poor fellow was convinced it was not just an isolated incident. He came to me seeking guidance, and his curiosity was piqued by my visions. I told him that flood trolls are native to Belkzen, but they rarely roam this far south of the Flood Road. Since learning of his investigation, though, I have had nightmares unlike any before, and I fear that some greater evil may be at play within Trunau’s walls.

Rodrik had plans to go back to the Plague House, but because of the unease I felt from my visions, I suggested he leave his journal with me, which he did. Last night, my visions were even more terrible,though still indecipherable. When news of Rodrik’s death reached me this morning, I knew it must have been foul play, so I fled the Sanctuary, fearful that whoever targeted Rodrik would come after me as well. His death grieves me to no end, but at least my efforts bought me enough time to share this information with you.

I don’t know who killed Rodrik, and worse, I didn’t predict the ill fate that befell him. But even if I had, I’ve learned there is little one can do to combat fate.

As for the Plague House, I have seen visions of it many times these past few weeks, and though I can’t say with any certainty what these divinations might mean, I believe there is more beneath the ashes of the Burned Church than soot and rubble.

He then hands one of you Rodrik's Journal. Is there any way I can be of further assistance?


"What is a flood troll? Is it similar to a real troll? Also what is this Plague house?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk's eyes widen in surprise when Katrezra the seer emerges from the closet. As Katrezra discusses his recent visions and Rodrik's investigation, Nik-nik scurries from Drosk's vest pocket and perches atop the dwarf wizard's bald head to study the elderly half-orc with an unblinking gaze.

Katrezra the Seer wrote:

I don’t know who killed Rodrik, and worse, I didn’t predict the ill fate that befell him. But even if I had, I’ve learned there is little one can do to combat fate.

As for the Plague House, I have seen visions of it many times these past few weeks, and though I can’t say with any certainty what these divinations might mean, I believe there is more beneath the ashes of the Burned Church than soot and rubble.

He then hands one of you Rodrik's Journal. Is there any way I can be of further assistance?

Drosk takes the proffered journal and quickly reads the latest entry. "So Rodrik planned to search the Plague House today, but someone killed him before he had the chance," he observes aloud. "Did anyone else know that Rodrik planned to go to the Plague House today?" he asks Katrezra.

"Hang on," Drosk says, glancing back to the journal. "Rodrik wrote that he didn't have his new hopeknife yesterday - that whoever was working on it was 'takin' her time'. If he didn't have the knife, but the murderer killed him with it an' left it in his room, then the murderer must've gotten it here. We've already determined that the murderer isn't a native of Trunau, since a native would've known to cut Rodrik's main arteries instead of his wrists. Forgemistress Morninghawk said that Urnsul had only been in Trunau for several weeks - she was the last person seen with the hopeknife, an' she likely hasn't been trained as to which arteries to cut with it. An' now she's conveniently disappeared. So it looks like either she killed Rodrik, or provided the hopeknife to whoever did - the mysterious human man who checked into the Ramblehouse last night an' left early this mornin' maybe? he muses.

"That human was lookin' for somethin' here in Trunau, an' wrote that Rodrik was pokin' around in his business. Maybe the human is lookin' for somethin' at the Plague House, an' found out that Rodrik was plannin' to go there an' killed him before he had a chance. Sounds like we need to check out this Plague House for ourselves," Drosk suggests, glancing at each of his companions for confirmation.

"Where is the Plague House?" he asks the Trunau natives present.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Knowledge (Nature) DC5:
What the heck is a flood troll?

Knowledge (Nature) DC10:
Flood Trolls are medium humanoids in the giant family. They have Darkvision.

Knowledge (Nature) DC15:
Flood Trolls have a pounce attack. They live in temperate swamps or rivers

Knowledge (Nature) DC20:
Flood Trolls have absorbent hides-If they haven't touched flowing water in 24 hours, they get +2 natural armor bonus to AC. If they have touched flowing water within 24 hours, they gain cold resistence 5 instead.

Knowledge (Nature) DC25:
Flood Trolls have Oversized Limbs-A flood troll’s hands are larger than its body would suggest. Flood trolls can wield large weapons without penalty. Flood Trolls also have
Rain Regeneration-A flood troll’s regeneration functions as long as the flood troll is touching flowing water or precipitation. Even a slight drizzle is enough to activate the flood troll’s regeneration. However, any acid or fire damage dealt to the flood troll suspends its next round of regeneration.


Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Everyone read DC 5, 10, and 15

"Medium size trolls. Hmmm. Learn something new everyday."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Know (nature): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 Bormann has nothing to add to Gnok's information.

"I suppose that explains having a knife engraved to himself - he was replacing a lost knife on the sly."

He listens to the discussion on the Plaue House. "You're right, Drosk. We should go check out the Plague House. The sooner the better as far as I"m concerned."


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Aye. If the human is lookin' for somethin' at the Plague House, he might be there right now."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/
Gnok wrote:
What is this Plague house?

A look of fear comes over Sara's face. Bad place. A haunted place-if you believe the tales. That was where the Iomedeans built their first church until an orc raid burned it and everyone in it to the ground. Then fifty years ago, Trunau was afflicted with a plague and the town council rebuilt the church and keptthe plague victims there, but a mysterious fire consumed the building a few days later, killing everyone inside—patients and healers. Since then no one has decided to rebuild on the spot. Bad place indeed!

Drosk wrote:
"Did anyone else know that Rodrik planned to go to the Plague House today?"

Not that I know of. I think he wanted to keep his investigation a secret until he had solid proof. The seer says as he reaches in a pocket of his vest and unwraps a piece of cheese to offer Nik-nik.

Drosk wrote:
"Where is the Plague House?"

Outside the city walls. Bad place. Sara reiterates.

To the Plague House?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Nik-nik blinks at Katrezra and then scurries over to eat the proffered piece of cheese. The gecko dances around as a sign of appreciation and then scurries back to perch atop Drosk's head.

Drosk glances at his companions. "Looks like we need to take a little trip outside the city walls," he suggests grimly. "Too bad I didn't prepare any spells for fightin' ghosts today."

On to the Plague House!


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

"Aye, a bad place is right. Lookin' like that's the place to be. When I find Rodrik's killer, I swear I'll..." Kranzer grits his teeth and feels the weight of the hopeknife pressed to his chest.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

You leave The Clamor with Katrezra begging you not to reveal his location to anyone. You start making your way to the gate when an envoy from Chief Defender Halgra stops you and invites you to dinner. You are ushered to her private residence where you are served a delicious meal, a little ale, and some pleasant conversation (during which the Chief Defender thanks you for taking the lead in the investigation). When the meal is done, you set off to the Plague House. It is now dusk and daylight is fading fast, which is all well and good because when Rodrik investigated the Plague house it was at night and it was night when Katrezra had visions of it.

Tactical Map is updated

You see doing a quick inspection of the perimeter that there are four ways to enter:

The Front Doors (I3,J3)
Collapsed Wall in the Northwest (G4,F5,E6)
Collapsed Hole leading into basement: (E11,E12,E13)
East Door:(G13)

Which entrance do you want to go in?

151 to 200 of 3,601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's GiantSlayer Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.