DM RichD's Giantslayer Campaign

Game Master Briccone

GiantSlayer Book 2: The Hill Giant's Pledge
Part 3: Redlake Fort

The heroes infiltrate an abandoned border fort full of orcs, ogres, and hill giants to end the threat against Trunau once and for all, only to learn of a much greater danger: a mysterious warlord amassing an army of giants for some fell purpose.


101 to 150 of 3,589 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta holds Cham tight and murmurs to her. "It's alright, Cham, it's best to let the truth out and unburden yourself."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 5 = 17


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

A look of resignation comes over Cham’s face. Look! It isn’t my fault! There was a human man who rented a room last night. she says as she begins sobbing anew. He refused to give me his name, she manages between gulps of air, and he paid me a fistful of gold. He said he’d be gone before sunrise. I didn’t ask any more questions. I had no idea that something like this would happen! You don’t think he had anything to do with Rodrik’s death do you? You don’t think I’m to blame do you? Cayden Cailean protect me! That is all! I swear!

Sense Motive DC10:
Nope-There’s more.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Intimidate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"Cham! Ya always look away when ya lie. The whole truth, now!"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Look there is nothing more! Only them bloody bunch of half-orcs and other thuggish tall-folk that came in about a week ago and reserved practically every free room here. You and Greta must have seen them! They checked out this morning before I discovered Rodrik-but its not unusual for folks to check out early! Folks do it all the time! They usually want to start their journeys early! Just because they checked out just before Rodrik was found doesn’t mean that they also had anything to do with it! Oh! Why did this have to happen here! Oh! Why did this have to happen to ME! What do you think they are going to do to me? Do you think Patrol Leader Jagrin will throw me in irons? Do you think Chief Defender Halgra will take my inn? If I was complicit, why would I have called attention to the body? I didn’t know! Honest! I didn’t know! If I’m lying, then may Cayden Cailean burn this inn down! That’s all I know! You believe me, don’t you Kraken-Maw? Greta, we’ve had afternoon tea together. You know there isn’t a malicious bone in my body! You’ll both speak on my behalf won’t you? I don’t know any more! The woman starts to hyperventilate at this point.

Sense Motive DC10:
Yep. She doesn’t know any more. She has told you everything.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Thrown in irons? For what, running an inn? You may have made a mistake, but if Rodrik was murdered, someone else committed a crime. And that's different. You will have to live with the memory that someone was murdered under your roof, but someone else has a town's vengeance coming to him," Bormann gruffly states.

"Now, if you want us to find an answer to this mystery, you need to tell us everything you know about the nameless human and the half-orcs and goons who left early. We need to know any names they used, what they looked like, what they carried. Hm... maybe even look over the rooms they left."


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Greta murmurs a few words of prayer to Bolka casting remove fear, not exactly how the spell works, but thematically it seems appropriate.

"Cham, my friend. I know you and I know your heart. You don't have a malicious bone in your body. You have nothing to fear by unburdening yourself. There is no way you could have foreseen this. But you must tell the truth and the whole truth, as openly as you can."


Gnok listens carefully to the descriptions that Cham gives of the human and the half-orcs. Once they are finished with Cham, "do we want to see if we can find these folks, or do we want to visit the other places first?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Since we're here, let's check out the rooms they rented. See if they left any clues behind. Did the half-orcs and other thuggish tall folk sign their names in yer guestbook? Were any of their rooms near Rodrik's room?" Drosk asks Cham.

Suggest we go ahead and check out the strangers' rooms since we are already here at the inn. Then we have the following options of where to go/what to do next:

- Go to the Sanctuary to examine Rodrik's body (the Sanctuary is practically next door to the Ramblehouse);
- Find and talk to Brinya Kelver (her house is in the upper part of town near the Commons);
- Find and talk to Omast Frum (location currently unknown);
- Go to Morninghawk's Fine Steel to ask about Rodrik's order for an engraved hopeknife (located just down the lane from the Ramblehouse);
- Try to track down the human man who rented the room last night and left before dawn (location unknown, will require asking around); and
- Try to track down the group of half-orcs and other tall-folk that came a week ago and left early this morning (location unknown, will require asking around - worth checking with the gate guards to see if they left town this morning).

Any thoughts?


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer lets a smile come back to his face again. "No big deal, eh Cham? Like Bormann 'ere said, ya can't be held accountable for bein' an innkeeper ya?"

Kranzer tries to remember the men Cham described through all those nights of drinking.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

He says at last, "Good idea cousin, I say we check the rooms and then look over Rodrik's body," he flinches when he says Rodrik's name, "And then we can talk to Brinya or the smiths at Morninghawk's. My suggestion anyway!"

Taking 20 on Perception to check the strangers' rooms. Perception: 20 + 5 = 25


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Cham looks a little stronger, but whether its due to Bormann's and Kranzer's words that she is not responsible or Greta's spell, you are not sure.

The human didn't speak much and I haven't seen him since he checked in. He looked like an average human. There was nothing that distinguished himself from other humans. I had never seen him before. As for the half-orcs, I know this sounds horrible but to me all half-orcs look alike. Green, hulking brutes with tusks. She grabs a master key from a pocket in her apron. Here is my key. The half-orcs were in rooms 3,4,7,13 and the human was in room 17. Please be careful and let Kurst know I cooperated. She also opens up the registry to the day the half-orcs checked in. They are just non-distinguishing half-orc sounding names. Kranzer tries to remember if he saw any of them around the inn, and while he noticed them, they did nothing that stood out to him.

Searching the four rooms occupied by the half-orcs, you find that the rooms have been trashed and vandalized. The walls of the rooms have graffiti that looks suspiciously like the graffiti that you all saw around town. The rooms contain the same standard bed and writing desk of the other rooms of the Ramblehouse. The linens in each room are on the floor and the drawers of the desk are also lying on the floor. The desk is also covered in graffiti.

@Kranzer and Greta:
Come to think of it, the graffiti around town started to appear around the same time the half-orcs checked in.

The room of the human on the other hand looks hardly used. In fact the bed is still made up. It contains the same standard bed and writing desk as the other rooms of the Ramblehouse.

I am assuming that you all are going to take 20 and go over every inch of the bed and desk.

You find nothing in the bed but in the desk behind a drawer you find this note.

I have added the note as Handout 2 on the Campaign info tab.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"Well, that note makes the situation look pretty bad for him. Not conclusive, but it suggests he had some kind of motivation, possibly enough to kill, but maybe just bribe or threaten. Either way, he is now Suspect #1."

"Ready to see Rodrik's body?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

In the Half-Orcs' Rooms:

I don't know what to make of that graffiti. I heard some folks last night talkin' about graffiti showin' up all over town, an' that soap an' water won't remove it. I wonder..."

Drosk intones a mystical phrase and waves a hand at one of the walls. A miniature dust-devil of fine sand rises up from the floor and attempts to scour away the graffiti covering the wall. Cast Prestidigitation to attempt to clean the graffiti from the wall. Since Drosk is an earth elementalist, I thought it would be neat to describe the spell's effect as being earth-related.

In the Unnamed Human's Room:

"Aye. This note certainly implies that Rodrik was investigatin' somethin' that this mystery human was involved in. Wonder what he's lookin' for here in Trunau? I agree he's definitely our top suspect now, Drosk says in agreement with Bormann, passing the note to his companions.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Drosk: Your spell removes the graffiti.

Since you all feel there is nothing else to learn at the Ramblehouse, you all decide to walk over to the Sanctuary. You pass by the counter and see Cham there muttering It wasn't my fault! It wasn't my fault!. It seems like she hardly seems to notice you leaving.

As you step outside the Ramblehouse, you see people speaking in hushed tones and shaking their heads. The mood in the town seems somber.

Suddenly, the quietness gives way to shouts and screams as you see people running from three young wolves who are snarling and growling.

Knowledge (Nature) DC 10:
It addition to the wolves looking ready to attack, they also look like they might be diseased.

Initiative:

Bormann Grimm: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Drosk Ironhame: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Gnok Earthstone: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Greta Bolkasdottir: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Jocosa: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Kranzer Kraken-Maw: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Wolf 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Wolf 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Wolf 3: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Round 1
Greta Bolkasdottir 19(10/10)
Wolf 3 18(?/?)
Wolf 1 15(?/?)
Jocosa 13(18/18)
Wolf 2 12(?/?)
Gnok Earthstone 10(11/11)
Kranzer Kraken-Maw 4(11/11)
Bormann Grimm 4(15/15)
Drosk Ironhame 3(8/8)

In an effort to speed up combat, please post your action regardless of where you are in the initiative and I will craft a narrative.

Please refer to the GS Tactical Map in my profile. Each square is 5 feet.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta unslings her shield and mace, ready for battle!


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

My actions will depend on where the wolves move and what they do, so I need to wait until their actions are posted.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann intends to get right into the thick of the fight - with his axe. If he has the time, he'll step forward to intercept the wolves so they don't make it to the rest of his traveling companions unchallenged.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 1

Greta prepares for battle as the wolves, noticing the small-statured party decide they might be easier prey and start moving towards you with saliva dripping and their teeth bared.

One will move to BG57, the other will move to BE58, and the third, BC56. I will update the Tactical Map when I get home tonight.

Up next Josca, Gnok, Kranzer, Bormann (already have action) and Drosk.

@Bormann: Now that the wolves have moved, let me know which square you want to move to and I'll also update the Tactical Map with it.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

I'd be content to intercept the one at BC56 by moving to BB56.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer produces his shortbow and fires on one of the beasts so as not to hit his cousins charging into battle.

Fire shortbow on wolf at BG57.
Shortbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Wolves, inside the village?

Kranzer wonders about this as he knocks the arrow, and lets it fly.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

I suppose I should roll my attack too rather than completely forget. It'll take an encounter or two to get into the rhythm of the combat with this group.
Know Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Bormann strides forward to intercept the fastest coming wolf. "Hah! You will not find us easy prey. Feel the bite of my axe!" The dwarf holds off on his battle rage for now, pending an assessment of how vicious these wolves strike.

Axe attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
in case a 13 hit, though that seems iffy right now - Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Move action: to BB56, drawing axe as he does so
Standard action: attack


Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Double move 40 feet to BF55 and prepare for next round

Seeing the wolves are diseased and most likely not in their right minds, Gnok tells the group "they are diseased." He then moves up and prepares to show mercy to the animals by putting them down.


N Male Companion Cat, Big (Tiger) animal 3 (HP 27 AC:18 T:14 F:14 Saves F:+4 R:+7 W:+3 CMB:+4 CMD:18 Init:+4 Perc: +2)

Bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 121d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Single move 40 feet and if a wold comes next to him, bite it (or not).

Hesitating for a moment till Gnok does something, Jocosa moves up and prepares to bite any wold that comes close.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Round One:

Drosk eyes the third wolf as he steps up behind Bormann. The dwarf wizard stomps his foot, and a noxious cloud of yellowish-green vapor erupts from the ground next to the wolf to envelope the creature in acidic fumes.

Move action 10 feet to square BA55. Standard action to use Acid Cloud supernatural ability to create a 5-foot-radius cloud of acid vapor in squares BD57, BD58, BE57, and BE58 (catching the wolf in square BE58). The cloud lasts for 1 round.

Acid Cloud Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5 (acid damage and sickened for 1 round. DC 13 Fortitude save for half damage and negates sickened condition.)

Acid Cloud uses: 1/6


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 1 Cont'

Gnok let's the group know that the wolves don't seem to be acting right and moves up with Jocosa. Kranzer lets an arrow fly and a second later the wolf yelps in pain. Bormann advances and slashes the wolf so deeply with his axe, that the wolf collapses to the ground. At 0HP and bleeding out in case that will affect anyone's action the next round. Drosk steps behind Bormann and a noxious cloud envelopes one of the wolves and it starts to gag.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Tactical Map updated for Round 1

Round 2

Greta Bolkasdottir 19(10/10)
Wolf 3 18(?/?) WOUNDED
Wolf 1 15(0/?) BLEEDING OUT
Jocosa 13(18/18)
Wolf 2 12(?/?) WOUNDED,SICKENED
Gnok Earthstone 10(11/11)
Kranzer Kraken-Maw 4(11/11)
Bormann Grimm 4(15/15)
Drosk Ironhame 3(8/8)

Greta's action here.

If wolf 3 is still alive after Greta's turn:

He will move to BG55 and try to bite Gnok.

Bite Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Roll to confirm Crit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

@Gnok: Fort Save DC10:
Pass-Nothing happens, Fail: Onset: 1d2 ⇒ 2,Effect:Dex Damage: 1d2 ⇒ 1 & alchemical hemophilia

Jocosa's action here.

If wolf 2 is still alive after Greta & Jocosa's turn:

He will move out of the cloud to BC57 and try to bite Bormann and his teeth bite nothing but air.

Bite Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


DC 10 Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Jocosa actions in her post above


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Satisfied that the first wolf he struck will not be getting back up, Bormann stands his ground and shifts his grip on his axe to bring it back around the other direction in another deadly swing.

Axe attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta moves toward the druid and his cat, stopping just north of them and watching the fray.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 2 Cont'

Greta moves to behind Gnok and Josaca keeping an eye on the battlefield. A wolf advances to Gnok and bites him. This enrages Josaca who takes a five foot step and bites the wolf. The other wolf moves out of the noxious cloud and tries to bite Bormann between coughs but misses.

Up next Gnok (You made your save, but are you taking a Round 2 action?), Kranzer, Bormann (already have action), & Drosk (@Drosk: Bormann's action will put the wolf next to him down.)


scimitar: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 211d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 - threat
scimitar: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 - not confirmed

Got confused, sorry

Gnok looks sadly at the wolf, "this will be a mercy" and swings and damages it.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Round Two:

The acid cloud conjured by Drosk disperses in the wind. Drosk draws his warhammer from his belt and moves forward to support Gnok. "Is it normal for wolves to roam about within the walls of Trunau?" the wizard muses as he approaches the sickly wolf.

Acid cloud's one round duration ends. Move action to draw weapon; second move action 20 ft. to square BE56.

Knowledge (local) check regarding the likelihood of wolves roaming free within Trunau: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer knocks another arrow and fires at the one that had been in the acid cloud.

Shortbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Kranzer thinks about if wolves had ever gotten this far into the town before, while looking for the militia watch.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 2 Cont'

Gnok pities the young wolf as he finishes him off. Kranzer shoots an arrow at the wolf that emerges from the acid cloud but misses. He sees some members of the militia closing in with swords drawn.

@Kranzer: As far as you remember, Trunau is pretty good at keeping things out.

Bormann finishes off the wolf that had emerged from the cloud. Drosk is puzzled since the walls that he has seen surrounding Trunau should have kept these wild wolves out.

Out of round mode.

Four militia men arrive on the scene, and a corporal looks at the wolves. It a good thing you here! Never seen no wild wolfs unless wit a dooid. As far as I reckin' we ain't got none en town. He looks at Gnok and Jocosa. 'Sept yerself, course.


Gnok nods at the militia and then inspects the wolves to see if any are just unconscious and bleeding out instead of dead.

If any of them are still alive, he casts a spell on them(Stabilize) and the wolf(es) stop bleeding, and asks the guardsmen "is there a place where pens can be built to hold them while I heal them up from the disease and then return them to the wild?"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

All of them are bleeding out so you are able to stabilize them all. The corporal looks at you curiously as you stabilize the wolves. Shore, ye can move 'em ta pens,but it look like ya 'ready solved tha problem if ya let 'em blood out!

Heal or Craft (Alchemy) DC10:
These wolves have been poisoned.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Does Kranzer recognize the militia men?

Kranzer says, red-faced, "What'a'ya doin' cousin! They just tried to eat ya! Darn shame about tha furries, but I never saw wolves act like that. And inside Trunau? Never heard of it, in all my years."

He turns away and starts to walk toward where they were heading before the wolves, to where Rodrik's body is being kept. He passes by Bormann just close enough to whisper.

"What I said? True. Someone must'a let those wolves in 'ere. Be on yer guard, cousin."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Kranzer: Yep. You recognize the militia. The corporal's name is Philoneous 'Flapjack' Peters.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Please feel free to post any additional RP about the wolves, the corporal, or the militia. If not, then we will proceed to the Sanctuary.

You complete the short walk to the Sanctuary where you are greeted by an acolyte. The Inheritor’s faithful welcomes you! he intones. I am Jasper. High Priestess, Tyari Varvatos is expecting you. Please follow me. He leads you to an inner sanctum where you see a young, human woman dressed in red and white reciting a story about Iomedae and a vampire-mage named Basilov.

Knowledge (Religion) DC15:
She is reciting the 9th act of the Acts of Iomedae.

When she is finished she rises, looks at all of you and says Greetings All! May the Lady of Valor provide you strength in your investigation! She nods at Greta. And may Bolka continue to smile on you, although I fear you will find no love or marriage in a suicide investigation. She then notices the small bite mark on Gnok. Oh! I hope your pretty cat did not do that! Jasper, before you go, see if you can heal our friend here. Jasper is just starting to be able to channel The Inheritor.

Jasper walks over to Gnok and with a shaky voice says, Inheritor! Heal these wounds!

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

@Gnok: You are back to full.

When Gnok’s wounds heal up, a look of exhilaration crosses over Jasper's face. The Inheritor’s Sword! he exclaims as he darts out of the room.

Tyari smiles and says Ah! You never forget the first time you can cure someone! Now, back to the business at hand as I am sure you are not here to join the Lady of Valor’s army She looks at Bormann and his bloodied greataxe Although we would be glad to have you! Even you, Kraken-Maw! she adds with a smile. Kurst says you are investigating Rodrik’s suicide, although the poor soul feels it was murder, and that I should cooperate by showing you the body and answering any questions you might have. She says as she starts to walk to the apse where a body is laid out on the altar under a white sheet emblazoned with a sword. Here is Rodrik’s body. Please be respectful. Now what questions do you have of me?


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta smiles at Tyari. "And may the Lady of Valor bless you as well, High Priestess! I promise, we will be respectful of poor Rodrik." Greta moves over to the body and gently folds the sheet back till it only covers Rodrik's lower body. She gives a slight choked sob as she sees the face of Rodrik and steels herself. She casts guidance upon herself, feeling the need for the wisdom of Bolka. Heal: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 3 + 1 = 13


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Dang. I was sure I posted last night - but maybe I just previewed it and failed to submit?

Bormann keeps his voice down with Kranzer, "Aye. And whoever let diseased beast run in the city is looking to sow terror and not just injury."

Heal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
He then confers with Gnok. "I would say it is more merciful to let them die quickly at this point but I expect you will still want to keep them alive until their ailment runs its course. How do you feel about trying to track them back to their source in town?"

Whether Gnok joins him or not, Bormann will at least try to find where the wolves were coming from. "I will meet up with you at the Sanctuary shortly. Maybe I can spot where these wolves were released and find a witness," he declares to his companions.

Survival to track the wolves: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Well, if Gnok joins him, I can at least give him a +2 helper bonus.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

@Bormann: You don't have far to track them as after a very short distance, you find a large crate next to a building with a slat that looks like it could be opened by pulling on a rope or closed by letting the rope go. It was pointed in the direction of the road you all were traveling on and you have clear line of sight of the militia picking up the wolves to move them to pens where they can be secured.

@Greta: Rodrik's skin is pale and his eyes closed. He is dressed in his finest militia uniform. There is a cut on each of his wrists and there seems to be no other bruises.


Heal (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

"Thank you. I will move them to the pens, and tend them as I can. Sickness is no reason to let creatures die. If you got sick, would you want us to to let bleed out?" the gruff dwarf says to the guard.

While he will join the others after moving the wolves to the pens, he spends as much time tending them and befriending them as possible. When they recover, he will lead them one at a time to outside the walls and release them back to the wild.

"Aye, let us track them back" and he looks for tracks to follow.

Survival: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15 The +2 is Bromann aid other roll above.

edit: heh, cross posted with the DM


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

At the Site of the Wolf Battle:

"Trunau's walls should've kept these wolves out," Drosk muses aloud as he moves forward to study the wolves as Gnok tends to the creatures. "Someone must've let them in here. But why? To distract us from investigatin' Rodrik's death?"

DC 10 Heal check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

"These wolves aren't diseased... They've been poisoned!" the wizard exclaims, pointing out the tell-tale wounds on the wolves to his companions.

****************************************

At the Sanctuary:

Drosk bows respectfully to High Priestess Varvatos as the party is introduced to her.

High Priestess Tyari Varvatos wrote:
Here is Rodrik’s body. Please be respectful. Now what questions do you have of me?
Greta Bolkasdottir wrote:
"I promise, we will be respectful of poor Rodrik."

"Aye. We will certainly be respectful, yer Grace. We only met him last night, but young Rodrik seemed like a fine lad. It's a shame what's happened to him," Drosk replies to the high priestess as he moves to examine the body along with Greta.

Heal check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

"There's only a cut on each of his wrists, an' no bruisin' anywhere else on him," Drosk observes aloud to Greta and the high priestess. "All Trunauans are trained to cut their major arteries so they'll bleed out quickly to keep the orcs from capturin' them. Slittin' yer wrist's would cause you to die slowly. If Rodrik were goin' to kill himself, you'd think he'd cut his major arteries like he was trained. But if someone else slit his wrists, they must've done it without him strugglin', since there's no other bruises visible... "

"Yer Grace?" Drosk asks, turning to the high priestess. "Did anyone cast any magics to detect poison in Rodrik's body?"


"Poisoned? Now who would do something like that and let them into the compound?" Turning to the militia person who came with them, "leave them be for now. The poison should wear off, and they will recover. I will be back later today to check on them. If there is any meat to be had, just leave some and some water in the pens."

At the Sanctuary

Gnok listens as Drosk talks with the priestess. He knows he is good with animals and nature, but not so much people so he just sits back and watches carefully.

Still alive and kicking after Tornado Watch, and Severe Thunderstorms most of yesterday afternoon, evening and into the night. And this is in our Camper. Thirty miles east of Albany NY.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

At the Sanctuary

Kranzer says, "I thank ya Lady, but my daggers be meh own for now."

A pang of guilt runs over him as he glances over Rodrik's body. The last thing he said to the lad wasn't particularly kind. He sighs and watches the others in their investigations.

After, he says, " Then it seems it might've been done by someone Rodrik knew. Someone he trusted, until it was too late. We should talk to his lover I think."

-Posted with Wayfinder


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

At the wolf battle/pens

Gnok wrote:
"Thank you. I will move them to the pens, and tend them as I can. Sickness is no reason to let creatures die. If you got sick, would you want us to to let bleed out?"

'Flapjack' Peters is about to give the dwarf a piece of his mind, then he sees the huge tiger next to him. He just shrugs his shoulders and says Do wit 'em wat ya like. Sing 'em sweet songs of love for all I cares. He then turns to his command. Ya heard him boys, take these here pups to Groader's. He usually has sum empty pens. Course you will have to work out the cost with Groader.

Ervan Groader's residence isn't far away and 'Flapjack' is correct he does have an extra pen as he is a trapper and hunter by trade and raises hunting dogs. Poisoned you say? They look rabid to me. I can take care of them for a couple of days. He then holds his hand out. Of course, if they get any of my other animals sick, I expect to be compensated for that as well. If they were poisoned, don't you need a healer to get the poison out of them? I remember about two years ago, I came across a snake that bit me, luckily I wasn't too far from town and one of them priests at the sanctuary got it out of me. Then there was a time four years ago in the spring or was it the fall... After telling you a few stories, you are able to breakaway and resume your trek to the Sanctuary.

At The Sanctuary

Kranzer wrote:
"I thank ya Lady, but my daggers be meh own for now."

Oh! I'll keep trying Kraken-Maw, I might have some competition with the militia, but I'll keep trying! Tyari says with a chuckle.

Greta wrote:
"And may the Lady of Valor bless you as well, High Priestess! I promise, we will be respectful of poor Rodrik."

I know you will, dear, I know you will. As tears well up in Greta's face, you see a tear run down Tyari's cheek as well.

Drosk wrote:
"Aye. We will certainly be respectful, yer Grace. We only met him last night, but young Rodrik seemed like a fine lad. It's a shame what's happened to him,"

You mean what he did to himself, unless you too believe he was murdered.

Drosk wrote:

"There's only a cut on each of his wrists, an' no bruisin' anywhere else on him," Drosk observes aloud to Greta and the high priestess. "All Trunauans are trained to cut their major arteries so they'll bleed out quickly to keep the orcs from capturin' them. Slittin' yer wrist's would cause you to die slowly. If Rodrik were goin' to kill himself, you'd think he'd cut his major arteries like he was trained. But if someone else slit his wrists, they must've done it without him strugglin', since there's no other bruises visible... "

"Yer Grace?" Drosk asks, turning to the high priestess. "Did anyone cast any magics to detect poison in Rodrik's body?"

Tyari looks thoughtful, Why, I suppose you are correct. It would seem odd that anyone from town would cut themselves in such a way when we are taught much more quicker ways. No one detected any spells on the body for poisons as we had been led to believe it was a suicide. Do you really think he was murdered?


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Aye, yer Grace. We do," Drosk responds to the high priestess' question. "We found this note in the room of a human man who rented a room at the Ramblehouse last night without givin' his name who then left before sunrise this mornin'. It had poor Mistress Larringfass in a tizzy," Drosk explains, showing the note to the high priestess. "It sounds like Rodrik was investigatin' somethin' that this mystery human was involved in, an' it might've gotten him killed."

"Ye say no one cast any spells on Rodrik's body? I wonder... " Drosk's voice trails off as he mutters a mystical phrase to detect the presence of magical auras and concentrates on Rodrik's body and the bloodstained hopeknife. Cast Detect Magic on the off-chance of detecting the lingering aura(s) of any spell(s) that may have been cast on Rodrik and/or the hopeknife, or to see if the hopeknife bears any magical properties.

DM RichD - Is Rodrik's bloodstained hopeknife the one ordered from Morninghawk's Fine Steel with the engraving 'For Rodrik, my love?'


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann, not well-versed in healing lore but otherwise sharp of eye, spends a good, long time examining Rodrik's body. He is reasonably respectful, but firm and is not afraid of moving the body about.

i want to take 20 on Perception to examine Rodrik. Maybe there's some other clue other than the slit wrists. Some indication why he may not have struggled while being cut and bleeding to death.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
DM RichD wrote:
Rodrik's skin is pale and his eyes closed. He is dressed in his finest militia uniform. There is a cut on each of his wrists and there seems to be no other bruises.

We probably should remove the uniform in order to thoroughly inspect the corpse.

If someone could cast Detect Poison that would be helpful as well. I didn't prepare it today - was expecting a diplomatic trade meeting, not a murder investigation! :)


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer says, "Well I'm no good with magic, cousins, so I think I'll make myself useful and ask around to see where Brinya might be."

How long has Brinya been in Trunau? Was she taught the arteries to cut? Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Brinya's current location. Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/
Drosk wrote:
"It sounds like Rodrik was investigatin' somethin' that this mystery human was involved in, an' it might've gotten him killed."

Tyari looks thoughtful Hmmm...I don't know about any investigation. We exchanged pleasantries every time he came in to the Sanctuary here, but he never shared anything with me. Come to think of it, he did come here a lot. Too bad I haven't seen Katrezra today. Every time he came here, he spoke to him. At first, I didn't really think he believed in the man's visions but recently I wasn't too sure.

@Drosk: The hopeknife discovered with Rodrik has no inscription.

@Bormann and Drosk: Rodrick's body itself does not detect magic. When you remove the uniform, you also remove a longsword and dagger that detect magic. An engraved half-filled flask that reads 'To my son, Rodrik, Drink fully of life! -Jagrin' and a ring that detects as magic and a coin purse with 5GP and 2SP in it.

There are no other marks or bruises.

@Kranzer: You believe Brinya has been a resident all her life, but you're not sure. You think she might stay at the boarding house where those that do not have property stay.

101 to 150 of 3,589 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's GiantSlayer Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.