DM RichD's Giantslayer Campaign

Game Master Briccone

GiantSlayer Book 2: The Hill Giant's Pledge
Part 3: Redlake Fort

The heroes infiltrate an abandoned border fort full of orcs, ogres, and hill giants to end the threat against Trunau once and for all, only to learn of a much greater danger: a mysterious warlord amassing an army of giants for some fell purpose.


51 to 100 of 3,580 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta puts on a mock-severe face. "I happen to have liked Hommel and Brekka, thank you very much! Your brother has the soul of an artist and we need more like him, or what are we fighting for! Honestly, you two are worse than children." She leans up on her tip-toes and kisses Kurst on the cheek. "Stop tormenting your poor brother, you old softy." She murmurs to him with a fond smile.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer groans. He rolls his eyes. "Oh 'ere we go lads. I warned ya cousins, didn't I? Brekka ought ta have smashed that poor fool Hommel's head in and put him out of his misery is what I say!"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
DM RichD wrote:

Rodrik grabs a tankard of ale and holding it in Drosk's direction says,

May your pick always strike mithral!
May you live long enough to grow your beard to your toes!
May your supper plate never be bare or your tankard empty!
May you feel the heat of a good forge on your face!
Until Torag calls you home!

With that he downs the tankard as Kurst mimes gagging behind him. When did you start writing dwarven toasts, dear brother? he says. Rodrik just smiles. To Drosk he says, We are definately in need of help with our stuggles. I hope Chief Defender Halgra comes to an agreement with you all, but if you decide to stay here in town after the negotiations, Kurst and I WILL try to recruit you for the militia!

"An excellent toast! I'll drink to that!" Drosk exclaims and then downs his ale in one go. "An' I'd be honored to fight alongside ye! Ye folks of Trunau are brave an' true! I look forward to meetin' Chief Defender Halgra."

Drosk grabs another couple of full tankards of ale and hands one to Greta. "So tell me about this Hommel and Brekka yer all talkin' about," he prompts.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Rodrik says We would be honored to have you and Bormann fighting beside us and we hope it never comes to that.

When the talk of Hommel and Brekka comes up, Rodrik says, It is just a little play I wrote. No big deal.

Perception DC10:
You see a momentary look of pain cross over Rodrik's face.

Sense Motive DC15:
You feel that Rodrik is lying when he calls it a just 'little play'. To him it was a big deal and personal.

Kurst then interjects Now that is an ending I can get behind Kraken-Maw. Why didn't you write it that way brother?

When Greta kisses him on the cheek, Kurst blushes. Now it is Rodrik's turn to interject You will have to excuse him, Greta, he is not used to being kissed by the girls! Kurst gives him a look of mock anger as Rodrik continues You say we act like children, you should have seen us when we were children! Our poor mother!

After a while the brothers move on to other guests and many townsfolk come over and congratulate you on joining Ruby's cause. They make small talk See spoilers below and keep your tankards filled with ale.

DC5 Diplomacy or Knowledge (Local):
“Even though she’s the Chief Defender’s daughter, Ruby has to pledge to uphold the Standing Vow in order to receive her hopeknife, just like the rest of us. She must agree to hold Trunau against all comers and to never forfeit her homeland willingly. That is the Vow.”

DC7 Diplomacy or Knowledge (Local):
Everything in the above spoiler and “Rumor has it that Rodrik Grath is next in line for the position of patrol leader after his old man Jagrin retires. Jagrin’s a good commander, but he’s getting old, and it might be time for some new blood in the militia’s leadership.”

DC10 Diplomacy or Knowledge (Local):
Everything in the above spoilers and “Shame about the graffiti all over town. The militia’s got better things to do than clean up youngsters’ messes, but even stranger is how long it lasts. Try as one might, soap and water don’t do a thing to those marks!”

DC13 Diplomacy or Knowledge (Local):
Everything in the above spoilers and “Have you read Rodrik Grath’s latest work, ‘The Other Side of Contempt’? He’s our own home-grown writer. It’s a controversial poem, but that’s what makes Rodrik’s writing so strong—he’s not afraid to push limits.”

DC17 Diplomacy or Knowledge (Local):
Everything in the above spoilers and “Rodrik Grath is slated to replace his father as patrol leader, but from what I hear, he’s more concerned with his poems and plays than with militia matters. He’s diligent, don’t get me wrong, but I’m not quite sure either of the Grath boys is ready to lead the town’s defense.”

After a while Chief Defender Halgra comes over and looks quickly at Ruby who is playing a game of tag and says, Thank you for volunteering for my daughter's team. I am in your debt. I see you have met Greta and the Kraken-Maw. It looks like Councilmember Agrit is the only one missing! Now what brings you to our small town?


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Sense Motive (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Diplomacy (untrained): 1d20 ⇒ 17

Bloody hell. I get to look at all of them. I bet my dang attack rolls are not ever that good!

"Rodrik, you seem hurt about something. What is it?"


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Chief Defender, what's the matter with Agrit? Sick or somethin'?"


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
Rodrik Grath wrote:
When the talk of Hommel and Brekka comes up, Rodrik says, It is just a little play I wrote. No big deal.

DC 10 Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

DC 15 Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

"No lad. I haven't known Greta long, but I trust the word of a priestess of Bolka. If she says yer play was good, then I bet it would do well in the theaters in Korvosa an' Magnimar," Drosk says, giving Rodrik an encouraging clap on the shoulder.

Knowledge (local) check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Chief Defender Halgra wrote:
Thank you for volunteering for my daughter's team. I am in your debt. I see you have met Greta and the Kraken-Maw. It looks like Councilmember Agrit is the only one missing! Now what brings you to our small town?

"It was an honor to help young Ruby, just as it is an honor to meet you, Chief Defender Halgra," Drosk says with a bow. "My name is Drosk Ironhame, an' my clansmen are Gnok Earthstone an' Bormann Grimm," Drosk introduces his companions. "We're here at the behest of our elders in Janderhoff. They're sincerely impressed with how yer people've been defendin' yer town from the orc hordes, an' they want to help with yer struggles. They've sent us meet with ye in the hopes of openin' diplomatic relations between Janderhoff an' Trunau, an' possibly set up some tradin' opportunities as well."


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Know: local: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12 untrained - limited to DC10

Bormann adds to Drosk's explanation, "Aye, surely we can find some mutual benefit with a community holding out against our common enemy - orcs. The valor of Trunau is much like that of our Sky Citadels, beset, even surrounded, but too stubbornly dug in to give up."

"Competing in the tug of war on Ruby's team was a small effort and a small commitment for us and just the tip of what our people have to offer. I hope you understand that a greater deal and commitment would be held with the utmost seriousness by our folk in Janderhoff."


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Gnok wrote:
"Rodrik, you seem hurt about something. What is it?"

Oh! It is nothing. I must have hurt myself when I ‘slipped’ during the tug-of-war. He gives you a wink and a smile.

Sense Motive DC10:
He’s lying, but he isn’t going to open up about it either.

Kranzer wrote:
"Chief Defender, what's the matter with Agrit? Sick or somethin'?"

Chief Defender Halgra laughs and points over to a dwarf, Agrit, surrounded by children. She is doing simple cantrips for them and the children laugh and squeal. A muscular, female half-orc stands nearby observing the scene. You know the half-orc as Sara Morninghawk. It took me a while to come over and meet you and I’m the Chief Defender, somehow I do not think Agrit’s audience will let her go anytime soon!

Drosk wrote:
"No lad. I haven't known Greta long, but I trust the word of a priestess of Bolka. If she says yer play was good, then I bet it would do well in the theaters in Korvosa an' Magnimar," Drosk says, giving Rodrik an encouraging clap on the shoulder.

Kurst rolls his eyes, Oh now you’ve done it! If he didn’t have a swelled head already!

Rodrik nods appreciatively, Thank you, sir, Your tankard looks empty! He snaps his fingers at a serving girl and a filled tankard is soon in Drosk’s hands.

Drosk wrote:
"It was an honor to help young Ruby, just as it is an honor to meet you, Chief Defender Halgra," Drosk says with a bow. "My name is Drosk Ironhame, an' my clansmen are Gnok Earthstone an' Bormann Grimm," Drosk introduces his companions. "We're here at the behest of our elders in Janderhoff. They're sincerely impressed with how yer people've been defendin' yer town from the orc hordes, an' they want to help with yer struggles. They've sent us meet with ye in the hopes of openin' diplomatic relations between Janderhoff an' Trunau, an' possibly set up some tradin' opportunities as well."
Bormann wrote:

Bormann adds to Drosk's explanation, "Aye, surely we can find some mutual benefit with a community holding out against our common enemy - orcs. The valor of Trunau is much like that of our Sky Citadels, beset, even surrounded, but too stubbornly dug in to give up."

"Competing in the tug of war on Ruby's team was a small effort and a small commitment for us and just the tip of what our people have to offer. I hope you understand that a greater deal and commitment would be held with the utmost seriousness by our folk in Janderhoff."

Chief Defender Halgra bows. My, you have certainly made a good first impression! We will speak on this tomorrow first thing. She then notices that she is holding her third empty wine glass. Maybe mid-morning will be best. Until then, on behalf of Ruby and myself, enjoy the festivities!

After many more games, drinking and socializing the party finally breaks up and you retire to your rooms at the Ramblehouse. Cham greets you all warmly and asks if there is anything you will need that night.

Feel free to add any additional role-playing.

The next morning

Perception DC15:
You hear a woman scream He’s dead! He’s dead! Call the militia!


Perception DC10: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Seeing the wink and smile, he is hiding something, but leave it be Gnok thinks to himself and then simply nods to Rodrik.

He listens to Chief Defender Halgra intently, and when she suggests mid-morning the next day, "of course. You and your daughter should have the time to enjoy her coming of age. An important time for the young ones."

During the day, children being children, usually come to see the white tiger and usually "can we pet her, mister? Please?" and Gnok will allow them after telling Jocosa "now behave. These are children." While the great white cat does not seem so happy, she sits there and lets the children pet her, for a bit, then gets up and moves off to another area. Which starts the whole pleading, petting, moving adventure all over.

Early for him, he and Jocosa head off to the Inn and bed down for the night.

Perception DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Hearing the scream, Gnok gets up and throwing on his pants runs to where the screaming came from. Seeing a semi-hysterical woman, "who is dead, and where is the body?"


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta enjoys the camaraderie and atmosphere of the party, staying late into the night. She realizes, deep in her cups, that she has truly missed the sense of being a Dwarf since her mother died and even having friends such as Kranzer hasn't quite filled that need in her. She finally smiles, gives her regrets to anyone still up and heads to her room to sleep dreamlessly.

The next morning Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 she is far too asleep to hear much of anything, passed out across her bed, drooling a small puddle onto the pillow.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk enjoys the festivities for a while after the conversation with Chief Defender Halgra, but takes his leave and departs to the Ramblehouse not long after Gnok and Jocosa. He bids Goodlady Larringfass, his companions, and his new friends good-night and heads off to sleep.

The next morning Drosk awakens at dawn. He performs his morning ablutions and dons his clothes, and then spends time studying his spellbook to prepare his spells for the day. As he finishes and closes his spellbook with a *SNAP*...

DC 15 Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

... he bolts to his feet at the sound of a woman's scream. The dwarf wizard rushes out of his room and follows the half-dressed Gnok to find the screaming woman.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Bormann isn't sure how many beers he had last night. He doesn't really care since he can handle the dull throb in his head that indicates a slight hangover. He sits in his dim room at the inn, his axe laying across his lap as he mutters prayers for vengeance directed at the enemies of his ancestors.

A woman's scream cuts through his meditations and his hands grip the haft of his axe. Leaping to his feet, Bormann crosses the room and throws his door open. He doesn't speak for fear of giving away his position too soon in case the inn is under attack, he just moves into the hallway to seek the source of the disturbance.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Kranzer (Bot) Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

As Gnok, Drosk and Bormann rush to the source of the scream, they find Cham looking very pale standing outside a door. There are others starting to crowd around her. Poor Rodrik is dead! I’m no expert, but I fear he took his own life! Oh! His poor father and brother! Immediately some members of the militia also arrive and order you and everyone else back into their rooms. As you make your way into your room you look out the window and see more townsfolk gathering around the Ramblehouse and more militia arriving with a very grief-stricken Kurst and a stern-looking older man.

@Greta & Kranzer:
You recognize the older man as Rodrik and Kurst’s father, Jargin Grath

After an hour, a militia woman knocks on each of your doors and flatly says, Kurst Grath requests your presence in Ms. Larringfass’ private office, please follow me. She refuses to answer any questions and does not give any further information. When you arrive you see Kurst sitting behind a desk and the other dwarves you have traveled with or just met. He dismisses the militia woman with a Close the door behind you.

Kurst is haggard looking and red-eyed. His hands shake visiably. He takes a deep breath and looks each of you in the eye, sighs and says,

I’m sure you’ve heard by now that my brother, Rodrik—some have you met him last night—was found dead this morning, and I’ve had my hands full since. Right now, the official cause of death is suicide, but I just can’t believe that. Something else has to be going on. Unfortunately, Rodrik was the best investigator in Trunau; if he were on the case, solving the mystery of his death wouldn’t take long, but with just me left, we might never know what really happened. Kurst sighs heavily again.

I simply can’t handle the investigation and tend to my family duties at the same time. I may be a patrol captain, but right now, I feel my responsibilities as a brother outweigh my other duties. Still, I can’t just let this lie. I’m afraid I’ve exhausted all my other options—the members of Trunau’s militia are competent defenders during siege times, but they’re not sleuths by any means. I need your help. I know some of you came here on a diplomatic mission, but will you investigate my brother’s death? I trust Greta and Kranzer here, but if it was murder, I don’t know who else in town I could trust and since you are strangers here, you would be impartial investigators. Please I beg you!


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Sorry, had to finish replacing carpet. Stupid Texas rain.

Kranzer in the morning, in his usual spot in the Ramblehouse, head down on the table, with a stream of drool dripping off the edge, remembers the scream. Remembers the dream it’d been a part of, but only after he'd woken fully was he able to see the reality in it. Orcs! his thoughts screamed. But he was far too late to react.

He gladly follows his summons to meet with Kurst later in the day, and, sobered fully now, clutches his hopeknife and shortsword tightly in the room, ready for vengeance.

”Aye, Rodrik was Trunauan. We look after our own, and nothing’ll keep us from tha truth, eh cousins? We’ll get ‘em, no matter where they hide.”

He waits for the others to say their piece.

After, he asks: ”When was tha last time ya saw yer brother alive Kurst? Anyone else know anything that ya overheard?”


"Aye, we will help you find out what happened to your brother" says Gnok, and he looks at Kranzer and Greta for advice as they know the town best.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta finally crawls from bed and splashes water on her face before heading down. Seeing the crowd, she stops and gasps when she hears of the death of Rodrik.

Later, hearing poor Kurst speak, she nods as he asks for an investigation. "Of course I'll help. I cannot believe Rodrik is... I cannot believe it. I will pray for his soul, though Bolka knows he needs no aid, Kurst. He was a good man." She hugs Kurst tightly. Finally she steps back and nods as she hears the others begin to ask questions.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

DM RichD, did any of us see Rodrik's body or learn how he died?

Drosk is appalled to hear of the death of Rodrik Grath. At Kurst Grath's request for help in investigating his brother's death, Drosk does not hesitate to offer his assistance. "Aye, of course we'll help, lad. Was there anyone that Rodrik didn't get along with? I heard last night that he'd recently written a new poem, ‘The Other Side of Contempt’ I think it's called. A bit controversial, from what I heard. Is there anyone that his poem might've angered?"

Drosk hesitates a moment before asking his next question. "We'll need to examine Rodrik's body for evidence. Will that be alright with ye an' yer father?"


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann looks from Gnok to Drosk and shakes his head. "I appreciate the enthusiasm of my fellows, but we have to think about this trade mission as well. It is true that we are outsiders and you are counting on our impartiality. But whenever someone looks into a death that is not obviously by honorable combat, information may be uncovered that people wish they did not know. Debts, jilted lovers, betrayals, criminal or other unsavory activity. No one likes the tenacious investigator when things like this come to light and if dwarves are anything, we are tenacious. Are you prepared for anything we discover? And if we learn something you later wish we had not, will you hold the trade mission blameless for this task you are asking us to do?"


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Kranzer wrote:
”When was tha last time ya saw yer brother alive Kurst? Anyone else know anything that ya overheard?”

The last time I saw him was at the festival last night when we parted ways for the evening-him coming here and I going to the Longhouse.

@Kranzer & Greta: Knowledge (Local) DC5:
Rodrik lived at the Longhouse (The Longhouse contains a huge common room for meetings, barracks for the town’s unmarried militia members, storerooms, and the town’s emergency food supply.) along with Kurst and their father Jargin until recently when Rodrik moved out and into the Ramblehouse. There were a bunch of rumors why, but no one ever confirmed the exact reason.

Gnok wrote:
"Aye, we will help you find out what happened to your brother"

Kurst nods appreciatively at the Dwarf. Thank you so much.

Greta wrote:
"Of course I'll help. I cannot believe Rodrik is... I cannot believe it. I will pray for his soul, though Bolka knows he needs no aid, Kurst. He was a good man."

I can’t believe he is gone either! He was so full of life yester… The man’s voice trails off as he fights back tears.

Drosk wrote:
"Aye, of course we'll help, lad. Was there anyone that Rodrik didn't get along with? I heard last night that he'd recently written a new poem, ‘The Other Side of Contempt’ I think it's called. A bit controversial, from what I heard. Is there anyone that his poem might've angered?"

Kurst thinks for a moment, Besides my father, I can’t think of anyone else, unless other people knew. He sees your confused looks. Let me start from the beginning. I recently found out that my brother was in love with a half-orc named Brinya Kelver. She and Rodrik were engaged to be married, but only a few people knew about their relationship. Her heritage doesn’t matter to me, but it does to my father, which is why Rodrik kept it secret. That’s why Rodrik was staying at the Ramblehouse and not at the Longhouse. My father somehow found out about the two of them, and he and Rodrik had a falling out over it. Since my father has forbidden me to visit her, could you check up on her and make sure she’s okay? You can also ask her whether anything seemed strange about Rodrik the last couple of nights.

About his poem, ‘The Other Side of Contempt’ it is a tale of a young half-orc whose orc mother died when human raiders overran the orc settlement in which he grew up. Some people saw it as putting half-orcs in a too favorable light and condemned it. Rodrik dismissed those people as close-minded. If one of those people did not like the fact that the person next in line to succeed my father as Patrol Leader was in love with a half-orc, well that would be motive. My brother touched many lives in Trunau, so I wouldn’t discount anyone as a possible lead. Anything out of the ordinary could be a potential clue.

Drosk wrote:
"We'll need to examine Rodrik's body for evidence. Will that be alright with ye an' yer father?"

If you think it will help. We’re keeping it in the Sanctuary until the funeral. Look my father and Rodrik had their differences, but they loved each other and whatever you need from either of us, just name it.

Bormann wrote:
I appreciate the enthusiasm of my fellows, but we have to think about this trade mission as well. It is true that we are outsiders and you are counting on our impartiality. But whenever someone looks into a death that is not obviously by honorable combat, information may be uncovered that people wish they did not know. Debts, jilted lovers, betrayals, criminal or other unsavory activity. No one likes the tenacious investigator when things like this come to light and if dwarves are anything, we are tenacious. Are you prepared for anything we discover? And if we learn something you later wish we had not, will you hold the trade mission blameless for this task you are asking us to do?

Kurst nods as Bormann speaks and when he is done says. I know dwarves are tenacious, so was my brother-that was what made him such a good investigator. It is a trait other members of the militia, myself included lack. I am prepared for the truth and I would rather an ugly truth be brought to light than the ugly lie that my brother took his own life.

Whatever you discover, know that it would not affect your trade mission-in fact, it would help. I know Chief Defender Halgra would like to get to the bottom of this one way or the other so if you are able to bring closure, that will buy you a lot of good will in addition to the good will you already earned for being Ruby’s champions. I will also champion your cause with Chief Defender Halgra, so think of it not as a detour of your mission but a continuation of it.

Kurst then looks at all of you. I have three leads for you. The first is you can have full access to Rodrik’s room. I would also suggest speaking with Cham as she might have been the last person to see him alive besides the killer. Another lead is Rodrik’s lover, Brinya Kelver. The last lead is Omast Frum. Omast is a long-time friend of my family, and he’s always been like an uncle to Rodrik and me. He has a long history in Trunau, and most people think of him fondly as a local eccentric and a well-meaning lush. As a patrol sergeant, he accompanied Rodrik on many patrols. Maybe the two of them discovered something on one of those patrols or Rodrik might have shared things with him that he did not share with us.

Finally Kurst hands over a small blood-stained blade. Here is Rodrik’s hopeknife, which he supposedly used to kill himself. I’ll need it back for his funeral, but if you think it might help, you can have it until then. If you need to contact me, ask for me at the Longhouse. I need to plan Rodrik’s funeral and manage his affairs, but if I’m not there, leave word and I’ll get in contact with you as soon as possible. I cannot express my gratitude to each of you for taking on this task. Do you have any further questions of me?


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta gasps when she hears of Rodrik's love. She shoots a glance at Cham to see if she knew of this romance.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Sorry for the confusion. You are all in Cham's office, but Cham is not present only you all and Kurst, so you and he can speak freely of the investigation behind a closed door in a private room.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

No problem!

Greta makes a mental note to check with Cham about this romantic angle.

"Kurst, I pledge I will find out whatever I can. I simply cannot believe that this... that he..." Greta trails off, but nods resolutely, blinking through the tears that come to her eyes.


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Drosk accepts Rodrik's bloodstained hopeknife from Kurst. "Well then, let's go ahead an' check Rodrik's room while we're here, an' then go examine his body. How do we get to th' Sanctuary? Who should we speak to once we're there, an' what can we give them as a sign of proof that we're workin' for ye? An' where can we find Brinya Kelver an' Omast Frum?"


"Since we are at the Inn, perhaps we should speak with Cham first, then head to the Sanctuary, then Rodrik's room."


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

Rodrik's room is here at the Ramblehouse (Inn).


Drosk Ironhame wrote:
Rodrik's room is here at the Ramblehouse (Inn).

Oops. Too many places and names for this senile, demented old man to remember. As further proof, I did the same kind of thing today in the other PbP that I am a player in, suggesting we go talk to an NPC who was laying dead on the floor in front of us.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer says, "I say we inspect the room first, then we can talk to Cham on the way out."

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
Gnok Earthstone wrote:
Drosk Ironhame wrote:
Rodrik's room is here at the Ramblehouse (Inn).
Oops. Too many places and names for this senile, demented old man to remember. As further proof, I did the same kind of thing today in the other PbP that I am a player in, suggesting we go talk to an NPC who was laying dead on the floor in front of us.

Ha! I'm starting to have the same problem. I've had to start keeping notes on a legal pad next to the computer!


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

As Bormann gets up to start the investigation, he nods to Kurst, "You speak well and fairly. Though I do not know where this investigation will lead, we will not let you down."

Bormann readily agrees to Kranzer's suggestion of searching the room first, then meeting with Cham. As far as Roderick having a relationship with a half-orc, Bormann prudently keeps his thoughts to himself...


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Greta wrote:
"Kurst, I pledge I will find out whatever I can. I simply cannot believe that this... that he..."

Kurst nods appreciatively. I know you will Greta. That is why I ask you and your companions here to investigate.

Drosk wrote:
"Well then, let's go ahead an' check Rodrik's room while we're here, an' then go examine his body. How do we get to th' Sanctuary? Who should we speak to once we're there, an' what can we give them as a sign of proof that we're workin' for ye? An' where can we find Brinya Kelver an' Omast Frum?"

I can give you directions but I am sure Greta and Kranzer know the way.

I have updated the map on the campaign tab with all the locations.

The Sanctuary is an Iomedaean temple run by High Priestess Tyari Varvatos. I don’t know how much dealings you have had with High Priestess Varvatos and the Iomedaeans, Greta, since they are a different faith than yours, but I will send word to her that she is to cooperate fully in the investigation and provide you whatever access you require. Brinya Kelver stays at a boardinghouse here in town. He looks at Greta and Kranzer The one for people that don’t have property. He returns his gaze back to all of you. Omast Frum will be a bit more difficult to track down. As a Patrol Sergeant he has a lot more latitude in where he patrols and what he does. Unfortunately, you might have to ask around town for him.

Kranzer wrote:
"I say we inspect the room first, then we can talk to Cham on the way out."

I will make sure she is available to speak with you.

Drosk wrote:
Ha! I'm starting to have the same problem. I've had to start keeping notes on a legal pad next to the computer!

If anyone wants to write up some ‘player notes’ and post a link to them on your profile, feel free.

Bormann wrote:
"You speak well and fairly. Though I do not know where this investigation will lead, we will not let you down."

Thank you all! If there are no more questions, I will let you get started on your investigation.

You exit the room and your last sight of Kurst is him with his head buried in his hands. You go to Rodrik’s room and the same militia woman that had summoned you to Cham’s office is standing guard. There are some curious bystanders trying to get information, but the woman just scowls at them. When she sees you approach, she steps aside and says, Kurst said to give you all the time you need.

As you step into the room you see that this sparse room contains only a single cot and a writing desk. The cot is a cheap affair with a straw-stuffed mattress, now stained red with blood and stripped of its linens, while the desk is a slightly nicer piece of furniture that has nonetheless been chipped and worn by time. A cracked window in the southern wall is the only exit other than the room’s door.

Perception Check to Search the bed DC17:
When you look under the bed, you find a scrap of paper stuck between the headboard and the wall. The scrap is a receipt for a new hopeknife from Morninghawk’s Fine Steel.

Perception Check to search the desk DC 19 (Greta and Kranzer add 5 to your roll):
While searching the writing desk, you discover a false bottom in the desk drawer, though the compartment underneath is empty.

@Greta & Kranzer:
You know from your own rooms and from speaking with other guests that much of the furniture in the Ramblehouse has secret compartments.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Perception on the bed: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Perception on the desk: 1d20 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 5 = 15

Greta helps to search the bed and desk, getting frustrated when she finds nothing. "Curse it! usually the furniture has hiding holes all over it! Why can't I find it?!?"


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Perception: 1d20 + 5 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 5 = 27

Kranzer ignores the woman out front for now and says to himself in the doorway to Rodrik's room, "Now if I were a bit 'o a clue, where would I hide?"

He'd spent long nights hiding under beds, thinking orcs were after him. It was only until after he got his hopeknife that that changed. He clutches it now as he sweeps the room.

He doesn't yet go to the bed. Too many bad memories under there to get to it first. Instead he checks the desk, and, knowing there are secret compartments likely in every one of the rooms, finds the false bottom of a drawer, yet empty.

Procrastinating further, he comes back to the militia woman out front and asks, "Eh lass, you tha only one come or go in this room since last night? Anything leave here with anyone?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

-Posted with Wayfinder


Perception Bed: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Seeing Kranzer search the desk thoroughly, Gnok goes over to the bed and searches it carefully, finding nothing amiss.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Kranzer wrote:
"Eh lass, you tha only one come or go in this room since last night? Anything leave here with anyone?"

The woman thinks for a moment and starts counting on her fingers. Well there was Cham, Kurst and his Da, the militia that carried out poor Rodrik, poor Rodrik, Iomedae bless his soul, and you all. So what's that? Eleven people? But from what I understand, everyone was fussin' over Rodrik and no one was bothering with the furniture. Why should they? He killed himself, after all.

@Kranzer: You believe she is being truthful.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann watches Greta search and sees her frustration. "Slow down, girl. We have all the time we want to take. Note the amount blood. Note the smells. Move the furnishings around."

Bormann takes 20 on his search of the bed for a Perception check of 25.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Apparently, Bormann's patience pays off as he finds a receipt for a new hopeknife.

"Drosk, let me see the bloody knife. Roderick apparently bought a new one with an engraving."


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}

"Well that's interestin'," Drosk comments, passing the blood-stained hopeknife to Bormann as he glances at the receipt in the warrior's hand. "Why would Rodrik order a hopeknife with an engravin' sayin' 'For Rodrik, my love'? Wouldn't that be somethin' that Brinya Kelver would order?" he asks aloud.

"Looks like maybe we should pay a visit to Morninghawk's Fine Steel after we examine Rodrik's body."


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

I have added the handout to the campaign tab for future reference.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Don't mean someone didn't take something' though.

Upon seeing that Bormann had discovered something in the bed, Kranzer is glad he didn't investigate that part first. "Good thinkin' cousins! Looks like we got ourselves another clue." He wrinkles his nose at the last word, as if smelling spoiled milk.

"We'll need more ta put it together though. I'll talk ta Cham real quick and see if she knows anything. Anyone else wanna come along? I don't bite, I swear!"

Anyone with even a bit of focus can see Kranzer is using humor to hide the pain of another Trunauan death.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Finding nothing else of note, you leave Rodrik’s room. As you pass by the guard she calls out after you. Well did you find anything? From what I heard, he didn’t leave no note for his Da or brother, Iomedae rest his soul.

You now find Cham occupying her office with Kurst out handling his brother’s affairs along with his patrol duties. She is pale and near hysterical. I can’t believe something like this happened here! I went to wake Rodrik up like he requested last night. When he didn’t answer I opened the door a little to peek in and that’s when I saw him! Staring at the ceiling with those vacant eyes! The blood! Oh the blood! How it streamed down his wrists! She lightly slaps her head with her hand. I will never get that sight out of my mind as long as I live! She removes a handkerchief from her apron and blows her nose furiously. To think, last night was such an ordinary night too! Yep, A quiet, uneventful night!

Sense Motive DC15:
She’s hiding something.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 Greta moves over to Cham and gives her a solid hug. "It's going to be okay, Cham. Just take a breath and let it out and do it again. We're going to figure out what happened. We just need you to relax, okay?"


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Kranzer says, "S'all right Cham. Gonna be all right."He thinks for a moment. "What were you coming ta wake him for, and when was this?"

-Posted with Wayfinder


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Greta wrote:
"It's going to be okay, Cham. Just take a breath and let it out and do it again. We're going to figure out what happened. We just need you to relax, okay?"

Oh Thank you Greta dear! I'll try to relax but it was such a gruesome sight! He looked so pale! I've heard ghost stories and to me in the early morning light-that's what he looked like! Poor boy! Soon Greta's shoulder is wet from tears.

Kranzer wrote:
"S'all right Cham. Gonna be all right."He thinks for a moment. "What were you coming ta wake him for, and when was this?"

I don't know. He just said to wake him at first light as he had important business to attend to. He requested it as soon as he came in back from the ceremony. Poor Boy! So young and full of life! She sobs uncontrollably into Greta's shoulder.


Sense Motive (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Gnok, looks over at Greta and Kranzer. He figures as they know Cham and the town best, he would leave the talking of locals to them.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Bormann's eyes narrow as he watches the halfling's sobs. Since his own methods of dealing recalcitrant people usually involve violence (implied or actual), he defers - it's not usually a good idea to intimidate your innkeeper. So he pulls Kranzer closer to him and whispers, "Something else must have happened last night. I believe she is not telling the full truth."


Male Dwarf Wizard (Earth Elementalist) 2 (HP 16/16; AC:16 T:16 FF:14; Saves F:+1/+3 vs poison/+5 vs spells R:+2/+6 vs spells W:+4/+8 vs spells; CMB:+2 CMD:14 (see profile page for modifiers); Init:+2; Perc:+3; Spellcraft:+8){Effects: Mage Armor}
Cham Larringfass wrote:
The blood! Oh the blood! How it streamed down his wrists!

Is Cham Larringfass implying that Rodrik died by slitting his wrists?

DC 15 Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Drosk frowns in thought as he listens to Mistress Larringfass. He steps up next to Greta as the priestess comforts the innkeeper and kneels down to place his own hand reassuringly on the halfling's shoulder. "I'm so sorry ye had to see that, Mistress Larringfass. Rodrik seemed like a good lad," he says soothingly. "But it wasn't exactly an ordinary an' quiet, uneventful night last night, was it?" he asks gently.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Kranzer raises an eyebrow at Bormann, then at Cham. He says, "Cham, if there's more to it, best be out with it now. C'mon Cham it's all right ta tell us. If it helps us, it helps Rodrik's family.""

-Posted with Wayfinder


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Drosk wrote:
Is Cham Larringfass implying that Rodrik died by slitting his wrists?

You sense that is what she believes she saw.

Drosk wrote:
"I'm so sorry ye had to see that, Mistress Larringfass. Rodrik seemed like a good lad," he says soothingly. "But it wasn't exactly an ordinary an' quiet, uneventful night last night, was it?"
Kranzer wrote:
"Cham, if there's more to it, best be out with it now. C'mon Cham it's all right ta tell us. If it helps us, it helps Rodrik's family."

Cham's mouth and eyes open wide. I…I..have no idea what you are talking about! There was nothing out of the ordinary and there was nothing I was involved in!

Anyone who is going to press her further give me a diplomacy or intimidate check DC15. Kranzer and Greta can add 5 to their roll since they have known Cham for some time.


Male Dwarf Rogue 2 (HP 19/22 AC:16 T:13 F:13 Saves F:+3 R:+6 W:+2 CMB:+2 CMD:15 Init:+3 Perc: +6 (+7 Traps) Stealth: +7)

Intimidate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Kranzer let's a flash of anger cross his face. There is no hint of the half-smile he usually wears.

He says hard, like each syllable is pain, "Cham, we ain't got time for bits o' the truth. You know somethin' and you don't tell us, could be bad for Trunau, could be bad for you. What happened?"

-Posted with Wayfinder

51 to 100 of 3,580 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's GiantSlayer Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.