DMDM's Way of the Wicked, Part II: The Dark Tower

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Villains! You've committed acts of great and terrible evil. But now comes your greatest challenge yet. You must find and take control of the Dark Tower, and unleash horror upon the Kingdom of Talingarde.


1,051 to 1,100 of 1,219 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18 percep

Ulp is sorely tempted to start blasting things but restrains


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge reaches over and raises Edmin's hand.


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

Draconic:
Many more all around in the bushes.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Jax, it would be up to you to agree to this duel...what do you say?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

It depends on the duel! What if its who recites the best poems or who has the most fabulous shoes?

Admittedly Jax would still be in the running for either but you get my meaning.


[sfx: crickets] Jax?

-- note that Jax may not be optimized for a duel that's nonlethal.


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

not sure any of us are...

we paid, we are tired maybe just let us go? It was a very kind offer by our friend here.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Sorry, been working crazy hours lately. New job has s*&*ty shifts.

"A duel? With that one?" Jax continues with his bluff that he can see them. "Maybe. Drop the invisibility though and let my friends see your face first." 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19 Any chance this can just be part of the first bluff? :D


There's a faint sound that might be a snort. Then...

Bruno appears. (Coming out of invisibility? Actually pretty interesting. There's a fraction of a second where not everything has quite turned visible, and you get a blink-and-you-miss-it glimpse of a skeleton, organs, skinless muscle.) Bruno is a stocky man who might be in his early twenties. He has pale skin, thick wiry dark hair, and an impressive set of muttonchops. He looks perfectly human except for his eyes... there's something funny about his eyes. The irises are an odd orange color. He wears leather armor, but there's something funny about the look and style of it. He has a cloak and boots made of some odd silvery-grey fiber, like undyed silk but coarser.

Bruno does indeed have a blade at Grumblejack's throat -- a short curved knife of odd design. He stands up (letting Grumblejack's head slump to the ground) and draws another, longer blade.


Jax only:

"There's something about this one..." murmurs Brink's twanging voice in your head. "Yes... let's kill him."

"Well, there's a bold fellow," says the still-unseen female voice. "Begin, then."

Roll for initiative!


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Did Bruno just get his head lopped off?


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую can cast Invisibility on herself and then cast spells like Haste and Cat's Grace on Jax without being seen if you guys are ok with that. I did not hear the voice say we could not help Jax.

I thought we could assist Jax before combat.


Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

"A friendly match, we'll say. Nobody dies. And since you're a healer, you agree to heal any injuries. You don't help your man, now -- he fights alone. It goes until one taps out, or can fight no more."


1d20 ⇒ 14

Bruno strikes first!


Bruno pauses for a moment, measuring you with his eyes. Then, suddenly, he lunges forward -- 1d20 ⇒ 19

-- and with a strange sudden twist, knocks Brink out of your grasp! "Hey!" yells the black sword in indignation!


Bruno grins cockily and whirls his other blade into a menacing overhand strike position.

"Well," says the voice, "nice to see that trick still works. Stranger, do you yield?"

Brink has fallen at your feet. Picking it up is a move action that provokes an AoO. Of course, you can also leave it alone, take a 5' step, and cast. Or stand there and cast defensively. Or shrug and tap out. Up to you.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Maybe I should have dueled him... Dren mutters to himself.


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

Stupid humans. I said just pay and go...always being foolish. No wonder I was sent to try to stop them from being stupid.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge rolls his bloodshot eyes. Oh, damn, one rolled out of his head.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Edmin kicks the Judge's eye back over to him. "That is why I always use two hands on my axe."


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

Bref jumps down and grabs Judges head teeheeteeheeheehee! Keep away! he tosses the head to Edmin


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge groans: Perhaps next time you should try to keep your hands attached to your body rather than your axe.


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

See much fun here! Right Bloodlick?


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

I am just glad that he is bothering you two for a while at least. And you know Edmin, I really didn't take that sword to the face only to have you wind up here. Really quite insensitive of you...


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge growls like an animal and attempts to kick Bref across the room. Unfortunately the uber wimpy summoner barely manages to move the miniature humanoid, let alone get the disgusting thing to fly across the room.


Oh, and here's an important roll that you want me to roll low on: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую can cast Invisibility on herself so that it hides the assisting of Jax, and then cast spells like Haste and Cat's Grace on Jax without being seen if you guys are ok with that.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

I am sure that the invisible creature will not suddenly notice that Cy is gone or that Jax is taking on magical abilities. After all, none of DMDM's NPC's ever use perception or sense motive or other skills or abilities.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'
Cуровую зиму wrote:
Cуровую can cast Invisibility on herself so that it hides the assisting of Jax, and then cast spells like Haste and Cat's Grace on Jax without being seen if you guys are ok with that.

We agreed to the duel, let's just live with the results, please don't try to make things worse.

If Zimu starts to cast, Zimu, no magic. We made a deal with these fine folk. We live with the outcome. They have been most gracious by not just attacking us for trespassing in their domain.

If she continues I will ask the combatants to pause until Zimu dispels the invisibility.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

I was asking out of character not in character and Cуровую could cast at a distance where hopefully they would not hear the spell and how could the Sense Motive a Haste?

And can't Jax five foot step and cast Darkness to try to level the playing field? Although that guy may have Darkvison as well.

Knowledge Local 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24 what is Jax up against?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

I was asking if Cуровую could help Jax, with the thinking that a win would help our over all situation by gaining respect, please don't all jump the gun on me.

DM Cуровую had Lingusitics 21, Sense Motive 27, and Knowledge Local 24, any clue to what these things are?

Questions about our hosts were left unanswered from the last page


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax arches an eyebrow. "Really?" Brink, remind me to get a locked gauntlet next time we're in town.

The tiefling chuckles and shakes his head. "What kind of warrior relies on one weapon?" He clenches his hands and the spiked gauntlets covering them glow with blue fire. Swift action, 1 Arcane point, +2 Spiked Gauntlets. 4/7 points remaining. Grinning at the warrior, Jax punches with one hand, ducking and swinging with the other. 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 for 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7. He then takes a 5' step back and casts Mirror Image for 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 images. If the enemy has Step Up or similar, 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26 vs DC 19 for defensive casting.

Edit: Critical Confirmation: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24 for an extra 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage.

[ooc]Can Jax attempt a Knowledge:Planes check on the guy? 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Someone pull out that damn stone and use it to identify this guy!


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

now that is interesting

...ulp...


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Thank you DM for reminding me just how adaptable the magus is! Who needs a magic weapon when you can make any weapon you hold magical?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Jax Naismith wrote:
a Knowledge:Planes check on the guy? 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Someone pull out that damn stone and use it to identify this guy!

Cуровую has been attempting to do that.


Knowledge [Planes gives you nothing. Nor does Knowledge [Local].

(1) So burning an arcane point to give a weapon bonus does not provoke an AoO? Huh. (2) Okay, no Step Up. (3) Spiked gauntlets count as an armed attack, so no AoO -- cool. However, you do realize that you're doing real (not subdual) damage to Bruno.

"Hey!" protests Brink again. "Pick me up!"


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

There may have been some confusion around the "rules". You said non-lethal...I think we imagined lethal damage but no one gets killed?Maybe we should have asked for the rules of the duel.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

I figured that the request for healing inferred that someone was likely to get hurt - i.e. lethal damage.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Likewise! I figured it just meant until someone gets knocked out.


That was (perhaps deliberately) left unclear.

But anyway: as your mirror images flash into existence, the (still unseen) woman says, "Huh. Well, let me clear the battle area for you."

Brink suddenly lifts into the air and floats away from you, upwards and into the trees.


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

that belongs to us.

Ulp takes to the air and flies to grab brink


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

you are interfering.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

I must agree, we will not interfere or help with our champion, what you are doing...it is plainly helping your champion. You are not abiding by the spirit of the duel.
We don't want this to esacalate into some useless battle where we end up as enemies when I think we could get along nicely.


Okay, first things first. Ulp, if you want to act, you have to beat the initiative of the unseen speaker, which was a 13. Otherwise you're not going to be able to grab the sword.

Second, Brink is screaming its... um, hilt off? It's making a lot of noise. "What is this? No! Stop! What are you doing? STOP!!" All in that same twanging metallic voice, except you didn't know it could get THAT loud.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge wonders what fey blood tastes like.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

Okay, first things first. Ulp, if you want to act, you have to beat the initiative of the unseen speaker, which was a 13. Otherwise you're not going to be able to grab the sword.

Second, Brink is screaming its... um, hilt off? It's making a lot of noise. "What is this? No! Stop! What are you doing? STOP!!" All in that same twanging metallic voice, except you didn't know it could get THAT loud.

Perhaps it sees itself on the Brink of disaster.


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

sry thought I rolled pages ago


And now, a roll that could have amusing consequences, but only if I roll very low: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Now this raises an interesting question: how do we handle an attempt to grab a sword that someone else is moving away using a spell -- mage hand, telekinesis, or what have you? I suggest the best way to do it would be to treat it as a combat maneuver, but without provoking an AoO. Would y'all agree?

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,219 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMDM's Way of the Wicked, Part II: The Dark Tower Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.