DMDM's Way of the Wicked, Part II: The Dark Tower

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Villains! You've committed acts of great and terrible evil. But now comes your greatest challenge yet. You must find and take control of the Dark Tower, and unleash horror upon the Kingdom of Talingarde.


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,219 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

mage hand can't move magic items, and if it is TK then we are screwed. not sure how much brink weighs either but albs is the limit to mage hand.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 is my CMB, so that will fail. I assume


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

My vote is a Combat Maneuver (Steal), with the CMD being the DC of the spell. Thus, a Mage Hand with a 20 Int would be DC15. Something along that line makes sense.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

"Drop my blade or this will turn into a full-fledged brawl. You said no interference, right?"


Ulp wrote:

mage hand can't move magic items, and if it is TK then we are screwed. not sure how much brink weighs either but albs is the limit to mage hand.

Huh, you're right: Mage Hand is "one non-magical, unattended object". I never noticed that before. I suppose it's to prevent you from using a cantrip to get the mysterious glowing gem from off the trapped pedestal, or whatever.

Okay, must retcon. Bah.


Well then: Brink stays just where it is, for the moment.

"A spellcaster as well as a swordsman? How unusually flexible." The voice does sound intrigued. "But I'd advise against using too much magic if I were you. It could stir up the creatures of the forest, you know. Some of them are terribly sensitive."


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

"Well then, I suppose its good I have companions to watch my back against any such nasty critters."

Brink, I'll come get you when I can. Any idea what kind of creature we are facing?


The question answers itself as a spider the size of your hand abruptly flings itself at one of your images. 1d20 ⇒ 5

(Where the hell did that thing come from? You could swear it wasn't there a moment ago.)


Bruno curses and swings at your wildly flickering images. 1d20 ⇒ 10 1d20 ⇒ 15 1d20 ⇒ 13


Two hits. Did either hit you? 1d5 ⇒ 4 no hit, popped an image. 1d4 ⇒ 4


Popped another image. Bruno wastes his round swinging at your illusions. (That was two attacks with the long blade, btw, and one with the short.) You still have two images left. Over to you.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Round 2
"I see that cheating is the way you do things then."

Jax clenches a spiked hand and smiles, backhanding Bruno. 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 - 2 = 22 for 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6. He utters a short word in draconic, eyes narrowing. Defensive Casting: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26 v DC 19 Took a -2 penalty to attack rolls to gain a +2 bonus to casting defensively. Casting Bladed Dash

The images around Jax and the tiefling himself blur. His hand lashes out again with uncanny speed. 1d20 + 11 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 3 = 23 for 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 damage and then he sprints across the battlefield, stopping beside his sword. and further than 5' away from the two-weapon fighter

"Come and try to fight fairly. Come and catch me!"


"Oh, very interesting!" says the voice. "But I really wouldn't try that again. Remember what I said about the creatures of the forest..."

Two more spiders appear, one near your feet, the other leaping off a branch. 1d20 ⇒ 161d20 ⇒ 9 One hits --- does it snag you or one of your images? 1d3 ⇒ 2


Down to one image. The first spider from last round, BTW, is showing no particular inclination to attack you -- it's ducking back under the leaf litter.

Bruno roars and rushes you. You're more than 5' away, but he still gets two attacks. 1d20 ⇒ 13 1d20 ⇒ 9


One hit. Did it get your remaining image, or you? 1d2 ⇒ 2

Okay, all your images are popped. You've taken no damage, while Bruno has taken 24 points.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

You don't gamble much do you? Or at least aren't that great at it. Me? I love gambling. Let's make this more...risky. Jax grabs for brink and lunges forward, muttering the draconic word for storm. Brink sharpens and glows, crackling with power. swift action: add keen and +1 enhance to brink.

Casting defensively:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 if it's needed, no idea if touch spells provoke.
Intensified Shocking grasp spell strike 1d20 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 3 = 28 for 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 and 6d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 2, 6, 5, 2) = 20 electric damage.

Jax's spell fails but he doesn't provoke, he'll move backwards 5'.


A Perception check -- Jax can't make it just now because he's a little distracted, but anyone else can.

DC 16 Perception check:

Now that you've seen some of the spiders, it's suddenly easier to spot them. There are a *lot* of them around you. Dozens.

DC 21 Perception check:

Wups, there are a also a couple of bigger ones up there. Like, dog sized. They're totally motionless up in the leaf canopy.


You did provoke an AoO when you picked up Brink. So here's that: 1d20 ⇒ 1

Snort. Apparently Bruno was completely not expecting you to do that, and was caught suddenly flatfooted.


"Oh, for goodness' sake, brother."


Another spider sails through the air. 1d20 ⇒ 1

It falls past you, directly on top of a second spider that was trying to sneak up on you through the leaf litter. The ground spider lets out a hiss of rage and the two are instantly locked in battle, limbs wriggling everywhere and fangs spraying venom. They roll in a squabbling tangle away from you.

"Oh, for goodness' sake, sister," snarls Bruno.


Scowling, Bruno closes in. "No more tricks..." he mutters through gritted teeth.

1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 17


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

Ulp takes to the air and observes. He also draws his blow gun

. Stop using spiders. You not want us cheat! You not play fair!

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14 nature


Acid res 30 , Heroism, Sacred Bond, Telepathy, Shield Shield, Invisible, Undetectable
Vital:
HP 99(-)/99; AC 30(38)/tch 20(22)/FF 24(32); CMD 26 (28); F+15 (-)(+4 dis imm Pois, +2 ongoing eff) R +22 (26)W +12(13)(+4 slp/par) Res Elec 5; Init+6(8); Bmbs 3/38 Breath 2/2 Fly 11/15 60ft FF 0/9, Surge 4/5 Leg Surge 2/2
Skills:
Craft: Trap+29 Stealth+26(28) Wind+1 Perc +19 (18) Alchemy+38 DD +23 Spellcraft+24 Arcana+24Nature+24 Rel +24 Fly+22 UMD+16 Surv+23

nice

these forest dragons!


Bah, that second 17 was his attack at -5, which just misses. So he only does 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 damage. However, you'll need to make a saving throw now...


Saving throw was rolled over on the Discussion thread.

You feel the sting of the blade, and then a sudden numbness around the wound. A moment later, a wave of dizziness passes over you. Bruno begins to smirk. He's going all shimmery in your vision...


SCREEEEEEEECH You jerk upright as Brink makes an unspeakably loud and unpleasant sound, like metal being scraped across metal while more metal is dropped on top of it all.

Brink's metal voice clangs through the midnight forest. "Stay awake! You need to kill this one! He is interesting! Stay awake!"


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Shaking his head, Jax lets out a growl and looks up with a bleary glare "You just want a taste of this one's blood."

Sorry! was posting from my phone all day and editing/copy+pasting the discussion thread post to here would have been difficult.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Round 3?

The tiefling's fingers twitch on the blade. So far, he'd had the upper hand but he wasn't sure how long that would last. "Do you always fight this poorly? Maybe you should have sent your sister to fight me."

Defensive Casting: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22 v DC 19 Frigid Touch for 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 13 - 2 = 29 for 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 and 4d6 ⇒ (2, 5, 2, 3) = 12 cold damage. If the spell hits, target is staggered for 1 round (no save).
Critical Confirmation: 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 13 - 2 = 15 for an extra 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 and 4d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 2, 2) = 10 cold damage. If critical is confirmed, target is staggered for 1 minute. (If not, still 1 turn).

"Feel that cold chilling your bones? Surrender yet?" Wanting to drive his point home, Jax presses his attack and swings once more. 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 13 - 2 = 18 for 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 before stepping back 5'.

Spell combat full round action to use Frigid Touch and make a full attack action.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
I suppose it's to prevent you from using a cantrip to get the mysterious glowing gem from off the trapped pedestal, or whatever.

Reminds me of the last test the cardinal had for us.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

In a covered whisper to Dren and Ulp.

'There are dozens of spiders in the trees. Some the size of a Goblin, maybe we should wake Grumblejack.'

Jax Cуровую gave you a scroll of Mirror Image as well.


Whoa! Let's see -- that's 11 + 12 + 13 + 10 = 46 points of damage at a blow! Bruno had already taken 24, so that's a total of 70.

Bruno staggers backwards, face gone pale, two blades waving feebly. He is still standing, but he doesn't look very good.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Jax I think Intensified Shocking Grasp does more damage.

Our champion will probably ask theirs to yield and the battle.


"Yessss! Now finish him!"


"Stop!" The unseen voice is sharp with sudden concern. "He... yields! Bruno, step away!"


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Jax Naismith wrote:
"Do you always fight this poorly? Maybe you should have sent your sister to fight me."[/ooc]

I'm going guess that our Jax will be having sex with her just about the next time we pass through here.


Bruno, still looking very loopy, steps back and assumes a defensive crouch. He's taking the Total Defense action, meaning +4 AC and no attacks or AoOs. I was surprised to find that Total Defense is a standard, so you can do it even when staggered.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Makes sense when you think about it.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax smiles as the other fighter steps back, keeping his blade pointed ahead. "Do you?" The tiefling tilts his head, tail thrashing and casts detect magic.
Combining Detect Magic with spell combat but he's holding his attack depending on the result of the spell and the response from Bruno.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge sighs in disappointment as the battle ends without real bloodshed.

He then goes back to bowling using his own decapitated head as the ball.


"I..."

"He yields," says the voice firmly. "Brother, that dose on your blade didn't knock him down. He's barely cut and you can hardly stand. Give it up."


Bruno scowls. "The herd could..."

"What?!?" The voice is suddenly loud, almost shouting. "We are NOT risking the rest of the herd! Bruno, we have two breeding pairs of Sanguinae left! Half our Noxviators are still recovering from acid poisoning! And Trucido -- " The voice breaks off. Then: "The stubborn look? You're giving me the stubborn look?"

1d20 ⇒ 7


Bruno's scowl suddenly relaxes as his face goes blank. His eyes roll up in his head and he slumps to the ground.

"He yields. Touch him and Trucido will punch a hole in your skull and drink your liquified brains." As she speaks, she materializes. She's standing on a branch about twenty feet up a tree. There are several of the hand-sized spiders on the branch with her, and a bigger, dog sized one on the trunk of the tree. "I'm Sylvie. We're the Poimenikoi, the Shepherds. Ask your questions."

Sylvie is clearly of the same unknown race as her brother: there's the same pale skin, thick mass of wiry black hair, and curious red-orange eyes. Her clothes seem to be woven from the same coarse silk as her brother's clothes. She carries a sheathed dagger on a belt, but is otherwise unarmed. She looks alert and a little annoyed.


This image from an old Dungeon cover is a bit cheesecakey, but gives the general idea. Reduce the spiders by 90% and give her an overtunic, a leather belt with a dagger and some pouches, and a small knapsack over one shoulder, and that's about right.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
This image from an old Dungeon cover is a bit cheesecakey,

That picture is hot and disgusting at the same time. I Hate spiders.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

Bruno scowls. "The herd could..."

"What?!?" The voice is suddenly loud, almost shouting. "We are NOT risking the rest of the herd! Bruno, we have two breeding pairs of Sanguinae left! Half our Noxviators are still recovering from acid poisoning! And Trucido -- "

Knowledge Nature on all that 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

ooc, there is a half spider half human race? Were spiders? Much scarier than were wolves.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax salutes the woman with his blade and sheathes it before pulling out a wand. "Let my companions ask, I was more interested in a duel. Shall--" jax pauses, not wanting the woman to count any question he asks. "We agreed to heal the loser upon defeat. I will be using a heal spell on your brother. Do not attack me or discover what ither tricks we have up our sleeves."


Cуровую зиму wrote:
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
This image from an old Dungeon cover is a bit cheesecakey,
That picture is hot and disgusting at the same time.

The sorts of things that appear on DeviantArt were around for a long time before DeviantArt existed to receive them.


Cуровую зиму wrote:


Knowledge Nature on all that d20 +10

Sanguinae are the dog-sized spiders. They can jump surprising distances, and have two sorts of poision -- knockout and flesh-dissolving.

Noxviator, from "Nox Viator", bringer of night. Black spiders about as big as a small cat, famous for their ability to hide. Said to be unusually intelligent (for a spider), sometimes used as familiars by eccentric wizards. Fragile but highly venomous; their poison causes first blindness, then death.

You have no idea what a "Trucido" is, which suggests it's something strange and rare.


Elsewhere.

She sits alone in the dark.

Oh, not always. She can use magic to summon light. But the light doesn't last. Anyway there's not much to see. The conditions of her captivity are simple and strait, and not much changes. ]A little stream flows along one wall: water source at one end, toilet at the other. The atmosphere is damp, the walls and floor slick with condensation. Pale molds grow on the damp stone. These in turn support some tiny jumping insects and a species of small snail. The jumping insects do not bite, but they will crawl inside clothes and tickle abominably. Out of boredom, she has caught some of the snails, marked their shells with small nicks and dabs of color. Now sometimes she plays a game: she will let hours pass, guess where the snails have moved to. Then make a light and see. She's been getting better at it.

She has the power to conjure up food. Many years ago, when she first set foot on this path, that was one of the first spells she learned. It seemed like it might come in useful someday. It has. The food is nourishing but bland, and always the same. Still, she makes her two daily meals -- "breakfast" and "supper" -- into events, drawing out the spellcasting, chewing and savoring slowly. Anything to pass the time.

She spends a great deal of time thinking. She has always had an active mind, and she has much to think about. And she has been in worse places than this one, and survived.

She waits.

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,219 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMDM's Way of the Wicked, Part II: The Dark Tower Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.