Beyond the Tentacled Eye - A Pathfinder Greyhawk Tharizdun Campaign

Game Master GM Darkblade

A View of Hommlet from the Southern Approach
Player's Map of Hommlet Proper
Townsfolk Images
Zert's Map
Menu of the Inn of the Welcome Wench


2,651 to 2,700 of 2,765 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

Braggi and Musami lower the platform slowly, taking half a minute to descend thirty feet down into the chamber below.

Roughly 15 feet from the top of the shaft indications exist that a stone plug was once placed here, seated upon a three inch squared lip inside the shaft, with evidence of recent broken mortar sealing it. Just above that point, the previously mentioned four foot wide tunnel sprays water from an underground geyser to now empty into the shaft, it's cold and salty waters spilling down into the darkness below. A 2-foot-wide opening was visible just below the top of the shaft.

You drop through the water's torrent, nearly soaking to the bone in the deluge, even as the cascade pours down beside the descending platform to create a thick mist below, deepening the chill you feel as you go deeper. Through that mist you can see that the floor below is just over sixty feet from the top of the shaft. It appears very smooth and black, with veins of deep violet throughout. The shaft walls spread out into the darkness, opening onto a vast dim cavern illuminated in small pinpoints of pale green glows, scattered here and there.

Dropping another thirty feet you hover roughly the same distance from the floor, your lights dimming considerably the lower you go. Magical illumination is reduced in range by one half.

I will need a DC 13 Reflex or Acrobatics check from everyone to avoid being knocked off balance by the rushing water. I will then need Strength Checks by Braggi and Musami (assuming neither lost control during the deluge) as before to lower the remaining thirty feet to the barely glimpsed floor. Anyone not involved in hoisting the platform may make a Perception check to further discern information about the chamber.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Zokama is able to maintain her balance despite the deluge, and she takes a look around to see what they are getting themselves into.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Musami dodges out of the way of the rushing water then gets back to the rope.

Str to assist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Ref: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Str: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

uh, oh...


GM Roll: 1d20 ⇒ 6 Filnefillan barely manages to stay on his feet from the blast of water and subsequent sudden drop. He manages to grab hold of a guideline and steady himself.

Braggi Nonlethal Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

The deluge of water knocks Braggi to his knees, causing him to lose his hold on the rope. Musami struggles to maintain the line on his own, the thick hempen strands tearing at his skin as he manages to keep the platform steady enough to fall straight down, slamming into the ground thirty feet below.

The hard impact bounces Braggi onto his knees then rolls him off the platform onto the cold stone of the "floor" beneath it. Zokama realizes this is not in fact the floor of the cavern but rather the top of a tall, inverted, rounded pillar forty feet in diameter. It slowly narrows from this thick base down into the darkness below.

The "floor" resembles black marble but has no luster, while the veins of purple are thick and jagged. The entire surface appears to be slightly convex, with sides lower than the center. The floor does not extend to the cave walls around it, as though it were merely a large platform itself. It is about forty feet across—the cave is much larger than that in every direction, extending beyond what your limited sight can measure. Beyond the floor edge, the cave walls plummet farther down into darkness. At the western rim of the black floor, another circular wooden platform hangs suspended over the darkness, with another rope and pulley system pounded into the rock above it.

The stone is immensely cold to BRaggi's touch, reminding him of some of the winter bear games where at he and his brother sailors would have to compete in ice diving competitions. Worse still, the veins of purplish hue begin to wiggle and twist in his direction beneath the surface of the glassy black stone.

The wet deck of the platform you descended upon begins to ice over from contact with the pillar, a thin sheet coating the planks as thicker ice begins to form underneath, holding the disk in place upon the "floor."

Still waiting on Kaaro's checks, though everyone else may if desired indicate their next rounds actions.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

If we have the stuff that Navith had...

Zokama finds the black robes with endure elements cast on them and tosses them down to Braggi, hoping falling on that cold surface won't harm him.

When they "land," she steps off the platform, casting prestidigitation to dry herself off, and everyone else, and then examines the purple veins in the floor/column that seem to be moving.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29 (+2 if there is a trap involved)


Before she has the chance to begin drying herself her boots frost over from contact with the cold surface of the "floor." She manages to remove it alongside the remaining dampness, noticing her breath coming in frosty puffs while in contact with the black surface below her. The veins of purple seem to flare brighter where they gather below her and Braggi, with more tendrils rising and twisting in their shared directions. The surface of the floor seems to rise and fall elastically as the veins move beneath it, some starting to thump and push noticeably, as though trying to break through to reach the pair of you.

You may only act again after everyone else's actions are resolved.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 3 - 2 = 21

Kaaro’s lips burn blue on her pale face, but she manages to stay upright and balanced. She brings her scythe to bear, but refuses to step off the platform.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Holy s~%&load..." Braggi tries desperately to reach the platform, so as not being in contact with the surface of the pillar. The purple veins seem to pursue him, and it's terribly cold to the touch, even through his boots. As ice starts to form on his feet and the planks of the lift, Braggi uses his sword to break it, hitting it gently.

Actions are walk to the platform, trying to break the ice if it impedes movement, and find a towel xD


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami draws his earthbreaker, leaving his shield on his back since he has not enough hands. He thrusts the head of the sledgehammer at Braggi and Zokama, ready to pull them back onto the platform. Here, grab hold. I never thought I would trust wood more than stone and steel


Braggi and Zokama are able to climb back aboard the first platform. The ice is not thick, and a little strain would likely break it free of the pillar. Braggi suffered no lasting harm from the cold, but prolonged exposure could potentially cause hypothermia or frostbite, barring other protections or cold weather gear.

The veins seem to give up the chase once everyone has broken contact, returning to their original positions and again laying dormant. At no point did the things actually break the surface of the stone, rather they bulged and bowed it out, as though the stone itself was a strong yet pliable barrier.

The other platform is attached to the ceiling above, or would seem so, the thick and shifting darkness above giving only shadowy indications that the arrangement matches your current situation. Indeed it is hard to discern much about the cavern's ceiling as though heavy black clouds were rolling slowly over it, thinning, dispersing, then reforming at uneven intervals.

The second platform appears to lower from beside the top of the pillar down to the cavern floor below, roughly sixty to seventy feet deep, with a length of rope suitable to that end. Assessing the rope you have remaining on your platform it would only descend another forty five feet, maybe less, and would have to be maneuvered at an angle to be able to lower past the top of the pillar.

Oddly it should be noted the pillar is strangely shaped, the base here is rounded but subtly shifts down it's length into a three sided triangular formation towards what would be perceived as the tip as it reaches the cavern floor. Imagine if you will a cone, point down, with a round and convex wide end twisting into a three sided point at the narrow end. The beginnings of each of the three sides starts at a different point along the cone, and staring at the edges seems to bring about a slight sense of vertigo.

Perception DC 25 check to discern anything else about the structure. You do not have to attempt this check if you desire not to do so.

Also who has what in the way of light sources, and remember the duration of magical light are halved currently.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

I have dark vision. What is the relationship between the two pillars in space? Are they connected, if not how far between?

Musami looks at the surrounding stones and pillars.

Perception, Stone Cunning: 1d20 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 3 = 6


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Wait, two pillars?

Braggi can't see week past a pair of yards, so he doesn't bother trying to discern things further away. He comments though, whether the rest would like to cross the pillar to the other platform or not.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama has an Ioun torch (magical light source). Does my perception roll above count for this check?


Darkvision is not hampered by the sinister nature of the cavern, but is still blocked by the strange dark clouds above and the cold mist from the falling water below, which forms a pale fog wafting about, covering and uncovering the small green clumps of glowing lichen like tiny stars. The distance to the floor, mists and interfering fungal growths limits what you can discern about the cavern floor with Darkvision, at least from this height.

There is only one pillar, you are currently on top of it, to the side, and the other platform is next to the same pillar, albeit on the side farthest from you. It would be roughly a thirty to forty foot stretch across the convex floor to reach the other platform.

No Zokama, you would need to proceed to the edge of the pillar and look down to discern more information about the pillar, which was not something you did with your previous check. It was that check which gave you information about the other platform, how it was anchored, and a gauge of what you know about the pillar thus far.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Okay, well they just pulled me back when I tried to leave, so I guess I'll forego the new check.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Ahh ok. Getting pillar and platform conflated in my mind.

Do we dare descend further


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Kaaro peers into the darkness, unable to see much besides Zokama's illuminating stone. Her nostrils flare and she nods to Musami.

"I like this not. Do we have further reason to descend? If so, I could send my monstrous companion down to investigate?"


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

I guess that is what we need to find out. What is down there. If your companion can tell us what lies below, we could make a better decision.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

"Understood. Give me a moment."

The Suel stows her scythe and makes preparations, most of which consist of small movements in the air with her hands, as if assessing arcane energies or cosmic fields. Kaaro hums, then calls into the darkness, and unintelligible rote or litany of otherwordly importunings. Space seems to warp, and a squelching suck of air is accompanied by the sudden appearance of a creature on the platform, tipping the balance slightly before the creature moves to the centre.


Eidolon: HP 32/32; AC 22/T 16/FF 20; Fort +6/Ref +2/Will +4; Init +1; CMB +7; CMD 18; Per +6; Spd 30ft

The otherwordly beast looks at each of you before turning to its summoner.

"Mistress. You look well. Thank you for calling me to your plane. What would you have me do?"


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Kaaro explains:

"Cross to the yonder platform, and assess whether you can lower it to whatever surface lies below."

Weaving her arms again she brings forth magicks. [Cast resistance, spider climb on Naghbakh].

"If the platform cannot be moved, climb down. Be careful my friend, the deathly cold of this nacreous rock will challenge you..."


Eidolon: HP 32/32; AC 22/T 16/FF 20; Fort +6/Ref +2/Will +4; Init +1; CMB +7; CMD 18; Per +6; Spd 30ft

"Understood. May I survive..." the creature exhales, its voice hollow and alien. Bolstered it leaps from the platform and hustles toward the other.

Full Round Action: Run to other platform.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

When the creature appears Musami's body gives an involuntary shudder. He steels himself, but his eyes follow the eidolon very closely.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi looks puzzled about the strange creature but, since he understands completely nothing about magic, he doesn't bother to ask. "I wouldn't understand the explanation anyway." He awaits patiently for the summoned beast to return... if it returns.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Can we get a physical description of Naghbakh please? If they are remotely ghoul like I would like to react.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Scaled, clawed and slightly greenish, Naghbakh is roughly humanoid shaped, I imagine him bear-shaped, if a bear were slightly better at standing upright. I couldn’t find a creature avatar I liked, I might have another go to find a better pic...He is not ghoulish in the least, and given Kaaro’s profession as a monster hunter and feat: Creature Focus: Undead she’s fairly anti-undead...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Oh nice. That is a very good description. It is hard with Eidolons because they are very individual and no 2 are the same. Musami will not flip out, for now at least

As the summoned creature moves around the environment Musami's body relaxes slightly.


As Naghbakh moves across the surface of the pillar to the other platform he comments the surface is icily cold, and slightly burns to the touch. He feels as though a heavy weight is pressing upon him from all sides and his skin is itchy, with tiny hives breaking out all over him. This place is warded, it does not like me. It tries to stop me, to send me away. I am stronger.

As he reaches the other platform he confirms it is currently tied off like the other, and can be lowered to the cavern floor below. Behind him, at every point upon which his alien passage tread small Green Glowing Mushrooms erupt from the stone of the pillar, seemingly feeding off the trace energies left by his presence, becoming full sized, roughly six inches tall, in a matter of seconds. No growths occurred when or where Braggi fell, nor are any present on either platform.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

"Is it harming you? Can you ferry us back and forth between the platforms?" Kaaro asks, idly wondering why the fungal bloom seems not to form at Naghbakh's passage.

Did the pillar harm Naghbakh? Just wondering if he can carry us over - 10 trips for five people...


No mistress, the short trip did not harm me. Uncomfortable, painfully cold, like ants under my skin yes, but no lasting harm.

As Nagbakh begins to move back to Kaaro's platform the pulsating veins beneath the surface of the pillar bulge up and flash a sickly violet light. Wispy tendrils of energy drain from the creature into the surface of the pillar, more tendrils forming even as the fungi grow larger, the effect Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20, sapping a bit of the eidolon's strength, Strength Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2.

Knowledge Check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 Filnefillan observes It seems prolonged exposure has a deleterious effect. Short term exposure does not give the pillar time to affect transference, or so I imagine.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi wonders whether this is the place where they should be right now. "Maybe... maybe we aren't prepared yet."


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Kaaro bites her lip.

"You may be right. Naghbakh has been affected. In time it might totally weaken him and leave us stranded, unless another way is found. Given we know not what lies beneath, how important is this downward venture?" the Suel asks the group generally.


If you run across or limit your exposure to short periods and allow the pillar to settle you will not be affected by the pillar. Repeated or extended exposure causes harmful effects. If you use the eidolon as a beast of burden expect it to be repeatedly afflicted by the pillar due to the multiple trips and extended contact time with the pillar. Braggi and Zokama were unaffected, except for the intense feeling of cold and pre-tingling warning of possible frostbite from longer exposures.


Also, while Braggi wore the robe Zokama gave him he was unaffected entirely by the cold.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

We have no way of knowing how important it is, since we don't know what is down there, but if you feel it is too dangerous, I'm okay with returning. What say the rest of you?


Zokama:
A voice softly whispers in the back of your mind, Herald, below you he despoils my gift and seeks to turn it against this world. It is not for him to possess. Stop him, please...


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

"Not too dangerous, just sufficiently dangerous to give me pause!" Kaaro says, her smile reassuring you she is still ready to adventure...


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Darkblade:

And is this the voice of giant evil guy? Arrgh. Well, whatever, let's go for it.

Zokama seems to change her mind. She uses her Sleeves of Many Garments to change her clothing into a nice winter outfit with gloves to give herself at least the illusion of warmth, and then starts running across to the other platform, intent on descending.


Despite a bit of icing on her boots and a nipping of cold in her extremities Zokama reaches the platform in one full round run, the bulging and pursuing tentacles failing to cause much more than a wobbly deterrence to her progress.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami will make a break for the platform behind Zokama. His stubby legs pump and (I assume) his breath frosts in the air. His face takes on a pale colouring as he sprints. He makes a jump in the last few feet to get his feet off the ground and (hopefully) lands on the platform.


Reflex Check DC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 Musami's feet slide a bit on the platform, the friction melting the forming frost and giving him a moment's fright but he steadies himself on a guide rope before reaching the far edge and an accelerated decent to the cavern floor below.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

GM: I’m a little unclear on the relative value of “prolonged exposure” and “short-term exposure” with regard to Naghbakh making one trip unharmed but a return trip being harmed. If he rests between trips for a minute does that then qualify as a short term trip again?

Also, does 21 beat the DC for the cold? - I just realised he should have had +1 added for the resistance spell unless its duration had expired.

Is his spider climb spell still current?

And lastly, do we think the cold is only on the top of the inverted pillar or does it extend to the whole surface (i.e. the “sides”)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...PbP does engender a lot of confusion that is easily cleared up, just takes a little longer....Things that happen out of combat rounds can get very gnarly with regard to facing, timing, duration, intent etc...


One round is short term exposure, no effect. There and back constituted two rounds or repeated immediate exposure, save vs effect required, and 21 did not beat the DC. The veins are throughout the pillar, top, sides, bottom, so any contact with it will result in cumulative contact effects. Yes he can rest between trips but it will take longer than one round to descend or ascend the pillar and carrying anyone would further slow the transit time.

There is an Unhallowed Protection from Good field in effect for the cavern which adds to Naghbakh's discomfort. While he is not blocked like a normal summoned creature he is still a summoned entity and feels the field failing to repel him, like ants crawling over his skin, hives, or mild nausea the closer he comes to the source, thematic effect only.

The cold air persists throughout the cavern but is magnified in effect while in physical contact with the pillar, hence why the cultists use the platforms, and as well the special robes.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Ok, Naghbakh can wait a little and then carry Kaaro across...


Musami and Zokama wait for Naghbakh to rest and the pulsing veins of the pillar to settle down before the strange creature hurriedly carries Kaaro across to the second platform.

All eyes then turn expectantly to Braggi, wondering if the sailor will join them in descending below.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami mutters under his breath in a monotone And we will all go down together.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi looks at the others, then looks at the darkness around, several times alternatively. "So, down we go. No one will say a fresh piece of stone stopped Braggi Wrongeye." Such words said, Braggi hastily joins the others, putting special care in not wasting any time while his feet are in contact with the pillar.

There was a cloak of Resist Elements, right? If someone needs it, Braggi happily hands it away. He wants to play the tough guy xD


I will need a Strength Check by Braggi and an Aid Another Check by Musami as before to lower the platform thirty feet down the side of the pillar towards the cavern floor below. With the extra weight of the eidelon know this will be a slightly higher target number DC, so dig deep fellas...


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Str to Aid: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Musami sets his weight and helps Braggi heave on the rope.

2,651 to 2,700 of 2,765 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Beyond the Tentacled Eye Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.