Beyond the Tentacled Eye - A Pathfinder Greyhawk Tharizdun Campaign

Game Master GM Darkblade

A View of Hommlet from the Southern Approach
Player's Map of Hommlet Proper
Townsfolk Images
Zert's Map
Menu of the Inn of the Welcome Wench


2,401 to 2,450 of 2,765 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Shall I assume that we rested after the spiders so that Braggi is at least fatigued? Unless it takes a full night or something similar.

Tired as he is, Braggi manages to keep the pace. When they find the opening, he stares at it along Musami to gather some useful information.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Yes I assumed you would rest an hour or so, make Filnefillan comfortable, and then proceed on the journey. At this point Braggi is only Fatigued. It would require 8 hours of rest to remove that condition. He is still afected by the spores and poison as well, none of the attribute damage has been healed at this point.

Braggi can tell something is moving inside the den, something large. He faintly hears it's heavy breathing and several snorts which suggest it is as aware of you as you are of it.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama casts Summon Minor Monster to summon some skunks.

Amount of Skunks: 1d3 ⇒ 3

(LINK to skunk page)

If she is able to summon them before the boar comes out, then she sends them in and asks them to spray the boar and anything else inside the cave. After that, they are free to run away.

She's trying to get it to come out, but the skunk musk also causes nausea or sickness, so it might give them a short initial advantage.


GM Rolls:

A: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
B: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
C: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
D: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
A1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
B1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
C1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
D1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
D2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
D3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
D4: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 6) + 9 = 18

The trio of skunks trots quickly into the den, eliciting a loud snort and bellow from the beast within. A foul, malodorous fog wafts out of the den and into the air surrounding the dead-fall, followed by a loud crashing thump, a high pitched screech which is cut off abruptly. An instant later a pair of skunks, chattering loudly, rushes back out of the den and towards the woods near to hand.

A short series of snorts, crunches, and wet slurping sounds can be heard from inside the bracketed den.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi scratches his head. "Um... Why don't you try shooting an arrow in there? Maybe with some fire on the tip?"


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Poor skunk, but honestly hilarious that it turned out that way. :D

Good idea, but unfortunately I don't have any fire arrows, Braggi. I have a spark spell and regular arrows, but they don't really work together.

Zokama thinks about setting the bramble on fire, but thinks that might just make the boar go further into the cave rather than coming out. What they really needed was light and maybe a sight line.

She casts light on an arrow and shoots it straight into the cave opening.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 1 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 = 8

Obviously shooting blind, but figured it was safer than getting close enough to toss a pebble in, and there is always the off chance it hits something.


Zokama's arrow catches a low hanging limb a few feet inside the dead-fall den (Not a Cave, but an overgrown lean-to of fallen timber and heavy brush), illuminating the partially dug out space and domed hollow beyond. A large, fur and bristle plated boar the size of a moorland pony is crouched, snuffling the air, snarling a bit, popping it's jaws and building a frothy bloody foam around the oddly growing tusks jutting forward and to the sides of it's massive snout and along the edges of it's thick brow ridge.

Clearly not appreciating the disturbance, the beast thrashes it's head back and forth, bits of a shredded skunk's tail clinging to it's dew lips as the last of the carcass before it is trampled under hoof.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami raises his shield and readies to be charged by the creature.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Yo Ho!" Braggi shouts, trying to get the beast's attention and make it come out.


Please place yourselves on the map...

Boar's Den


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Done. I figure I was about there in order to make the shot inside with an arrow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'll give Musami one more day then post the next course of actions...


Initiative Rolls:

Braggi: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Musami: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Zokama: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Dire Hog: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Bursting out of the den in a surprising rush, the large bony beast rushes straight at Musami, attempting to gore him with it's tusks. Charging Thrust: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21, it's tusk punching a hole in the dwarf's shield before chipping and tearing it's way free again.

Initiative Order
First Group Acts
First Group: Musami, Dire Hog
Second Group: Braggi (Fatigued), Zokama

Boar's Den


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Sorry, didn't realize you were waiting on me

Musami retaliates against the beast.

Is this a boar or a were boar or what? Going to do NL damage just in case

He swings for limbs and non-vital areas.

+1 heavy mace: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 [ooc[ Non-Lethal[/ooc]


At first glance it appears to be some sort of monstrous hog, furry with several odd bony growths and extraneous horns and tusks.

The wild beast snorts and snarls as it twists it's head back and forth. It locks it's gaze upon Alphabetical: 1d3 ⇒ 1, and shoves it's head forward to Gore: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Braggi, it's long tusks tearing into his side for Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (2, 5) + 9 = 16. Blood and bits of torn flesh spray across the ground as the thing thrashes about, trying to intimidate and scatter the forces arrayed against it.

Initiative Order
Second Group Acts
First Group: Musami, Dire Hog
Second Group: Braggi (Fatigued), Zokama

Boar's Den


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

With part of his innards hanging thanks to the hog's warm welcome, Braggi stumbles aside to avoid the animal's head and tries a faint blow from behind, hoping to make the beast confused by assaulting it from every side.

Greatsword, Power Attack, Fatigued, Str penalty, Flank: 1d20 + 9 - 2 - 1 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 9 - 2 - 1 - 1 + 2 = 25
Damage: 2d6 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (6, 4) + 3 + 3 = 16


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Go the whole hog, gang!


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama steps back and shoots at the thing.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 1 = 26
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 1 = 10

Does this look similar at all to what we saw with the mayor? It seems like a general sort of corruption, which is like the spiders, but also like him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No this does not so much seem a corruption, but rather a degeneration of species, or perhaps a monstrous predecessor of the more modern species.

Both Braggi and Zokoma land wounding blows to the beast, which serves to anger it further. Pinkish froth spews in sticky globules as it thrashes about, it's overly large hooves wrecking the earth beneath it and kicking up clods of grass and turf in the process. It bellows and spins about, trying to decide which of you is the greater threat.

Initiative Order
First Group Acts
First Group: Musami, Dire Hog (Wounded)
Second Group: Braggi (Fatigued/Wounded), Zokama

Boar's Den


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami swings his heavy, black mace again.

+1 heavy mace: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Was Musami swinging for damage or non-lethal this round?


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Damage. If it is just a big boar then no point trying to not kill a were-creature


The boar turns about, jabbing and prodding at your band, then focuses on Alphabetical: 1d3 ⇒ 3, and rams itself and it's bloody Horns: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 at Zokama, missing but smearing her with Braggi's blood and bits of viscera.

Initiative Order
Second Group Acts
First Group: Musami, Dire Hog (Wounded)
Second Group: Braggi (Fatigued/Wounded), Zokama

Boar's Den


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Gross.

Zokama really wants to cast Prestidigitation and clean herself up, but getting rid of the boar takes precedence.

She takes another step back and shoots.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 1 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 1 = 9

Crit Confirm?: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 6 + 1 = 24
Crit Damage (longbows are x3 critical): 2d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5, 7) + 4 + 2 = 18

So, total damage 27, assuming that a 24 confirms.


Taking a step back Zokoma puts an arrow straight down the beast's throat, punching through it's windpipe and exploding it's engorged and pulsing heart. The thing staggers a step, realization and death turning it's eyes glassy and black. It vomits out the last of it's life's blood across the ground and Musami's boots before collapsing still and unmoving, the clearing quiet at the sudden turn of events.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Ugh, that'll stain. Musami moves over and listens at the deadfall.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Trying to determine if there is anything else lurking in the den.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Luckily, it's been a short fight. Sadly, Braggi has another wound that nearly tore his tripes apart. Well, this won't be a glorious day to tell the grandchildren, but at leatst it seems they survived for now. While Zokama does whatever she needs to do, Braggi is dreaming with a long rest and a hot broth.


Musami hears nothing in the den.

Does Braggi wish to claim the boar's tusk or teeth to adorn a helm or necklace? Maybe the head to mount over the wall at the Wench or Burne's tower?


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi believes it's up to Zokama to claim the kill.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama casts prestidigitation to clean them all up (especially Musami's boots).

Then she looks through the den to see if there was anything causing this aberration as there was in the case of the spiders.

If she can't find anything there, she cuts open the creature to see if it swallowed something that could be causing it.

Is there anything on a giant boar that is valuable for archery? If not, Braggi can have whatever he wants.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Zokama finds nothing of interest in the den, save a messy splatter that was likely a summoned skunk.

There is nothing of interest inside the dire boar either, save a bit of mashed and pulpy summoned skunk.

The head, horns, tusks, and teeth may be of some small value. If you can skin the beast it's hide may be of slight value, if cured, and there are those who swear by boar testes as remedies for a variety of ailments of dubious veracity.

OOG Knowledge - The dire boar was just that, a dire boar that had grown ornery and cantankerous, likely from those deformed spiders ruining the hunting and foraging across the area.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami has no skill in skinning or in the dressing of wild game. I would guess a beast this size would not make good eating either. Too tough and stringy... kind of like me he gives a short laugh, then looks around the clearing for other potential sources of danger.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"I'm not an expert skinner, so I'm afraid I might end up ruining it. If someone could remove the skin, though, and if I had the materials and the time..." Braggi laments. He finally waves his hand. "Too many ifs." He nevertheless cautiously chops the beast's head, thinking that bringing the token of this small victory might perhaps bolster the morale of the village, which is already low enough.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

When Braggi is done removing the head, Zokama casts prestidigitation on it as well, to clean it and make sure that it wonb't drip blood.

Then she leads the way back to the man she made the deal with, hoping to get the bow and be better prepared for their next challenge.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is late in the day before you all return to Hommlet, Braggi and Filnefillan's wounds making travel slower than anticipated.

The woodcutter is overjoyed at the news the copse of rare woods is cleared of the spider menace, confident he and his village companions can clear any smaller such vermin that might remain hidden among the remaining webs.

He provides Zokoma an ornate composite longbow, the darkwood shaft decorated in swirls and curly-que designs. He also gives her a quiver of durable greenwood arrows, 12 in all. A +1 adaptive composite longbow, the masterwork arrows can repair themselves: When damp and in contact with fertile soil, living greenwood heals damage to itself at a rate of 1 hit point per hour (arrows have 3 HP) even repairing breaks and regrowing missing pieces. If the weapon has the broken condition, it is repaired during the first hour of contact with fertile soil. Greenwood items take only one-quarter damage from fire.

More importantly everyone is that you have accrued enough experience to reach 5th level. This should give you the last boost you will need to return to the moat house, face off with Lareth and his troops, then perhaps deal with the other priest(s) that are excavating the deepest reaches of the structure.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Alright, time for a good ale with some tasty meat!"

Braggi knows his wounds are going to take some time to heal, and he's not sure they've got that time, but for now all he wants is a warm place free of spiders and some belly filling.

Arriving at the inn, he makes a great display of the boar head, letting everyone know there's one less peril near Hommlet to be worried about. He then asks for drink and food, ready to enjoy a well deserved nourishment.

"When I'm finished" he thinks, "I'll have to look for someone who can preserve the boar head, and another one who can preserve me". He smiles, thinking one of these days he might not be able to joke anymore


Second attempt, fingers crossed.

The town holds a small celebration for your band and the woodsman, as he will likely be adding to his workforce over the next few weeks and soon word will spread to Veluna and Verbobonc the rare woods are available for export.

The church sets aside numerous prayers the following day to remove the poisons and conditions you have suffered at the fangs of the spiders and tusks of the wild boar.

The tower informs you they have received word from the High Papacy in Verbobonc that a small patrol has been diverted to Hommlet to increase her garrison forces, presumably to arrive in less than a week. One of the first goals of this band will be to raid Tent Town and round up any subversive or suspicious elements. Any information you can provide them will be greatly appreciated. After that the patrol will make a circuit of the surrounding countryside watching for returning bandits or forces you might drive from the Moat House. Should it be necessary you may also be able to convince them to assist you in a deep raid on the lower levels, if you can find a quicker and easier way for their force to enter and exit the place.

Do you discuss the gemstone you found, the odd idol, or any other suspicious discoveries with the townsfolk, or keep those cards close for the time being?

You will have two days in town resting, leveling, and healing before being ready to return to the moathouse. Any plans for the final assault? You know the ghouls are interested in slaying the priest(s) digging on the deepest levels, the cleric Lareth has a small score of soldiers billeted somewhere on the lower level, and the humanoids may have fled his ranks after your last excursion. There has not been enough time for him to have recruited more.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

I am worried about the young smith's apprentice, Tomi. The older boys had him working on some sort of dagger or something. I interrupted them making him craft it for them. It was wavy. Musami describes the dagger and the strange behavior of the boys. He will also mention the trip that the boys took to the more adult areas of Tent Town.

Two days is not enough time to make any substantial progress on my Masterwork Earthbreaker and I am not even sure I still want it. Also not really enough time to make a masterwork shield or armour or anything. Has the Smith returned to town yet?

Musami will spend the time making some small adjustments to the armour and anyone elses I guess. He'll also spend some time just tinkering in the forge. He wont spend time preaching at Tomi, but if Tomi asks for help he'll do that, whether he needs help with smithing or something else.


Brother Smythe will be travelling with the patrol, his induction and elevation to druid having been finalized while in Verbobonc.


Female Human Summoner 5 | HP: 48/48 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 17 | Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2; Per: +4 | CMB: +5; CMD 17 | Spd: 30 ft | 1st level spell slots: (X)(_)(_)(_)(_) |2nd level spell slots: (X)(X)(_) Eidolon - Naghbakh

Kaaro is open to suggestions for where to stay, and will generally wait to be directed when the Moathouse assault commences.

The dagger Musami describes is unfamiliar to Kaaro, though it feels her with a vague sense of unease. She asks many questions from the group regarding the layout and forces arrayed below the Moathouse and is quite interested in the obvious and various factions encountered.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

I don't think that we want to announce the gemstone because there were people looking for them, but I do want to warn the townsfolk about the strange idol.

Zokama shares the story of the mutated spider and the strange idol at the inn, but just says generically that it seemed to be powered by a gem, without showing it or elaborating on that part. She ends with Have you ever seen the like? If she gets some information, awesome, but a little afterward she launches into the story of fighting the strange boar so that no one dwells on the mutant spider too long. She doesn't want to draw undue attention.

Diplomacy to gather information: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

Hey is that guy around that was telling us about strange things in the swamp? He gets spooked when you actually ask, but if he's drunk we might be able to get more information about that too.


The leaders of Hommlet share Musami's concerns over the strange influences affecting the youth of the village. They report many of the boys have been shirking responsibilities, become belligerent towards their elders, and a small band have started hanging out behind the Trading Post, smoking pipe-weed and sipping corn liquor with the surly staff the place sometimes employs.

The idol sounds similar to such artifacts recovered from priests fleeing the original Temple of Elemental Evil so many years ago. Those discovered on the battlefield were destroyed or buried with their possessors in mass graves. It sounds to Terjon this one may have escaped with it's owner only to fall prey to the spiders of the grove and over time corrupted them with it's malign influence. He agrees other such pieces should be destroyed if discovered in your journeys.

Between the dagger, the idol, the dark tone affecting the youth of Hommlet, coupled with the raids and talk of spies in town, the council is more determined than ever in eradicating the moat house so close upon their doorstep. They ask if you can determine any possible way the fortress might be collapsed upon itself, having been razed and burnt clearly being ineffective in removing it's vile presence.

By the end of your rest, recovery, and preparations the military patrol will arrive in three days. They will determine then if they should raid Tent Town, scour the village for subversive elements, or march on the moat house. Any suggestions your band may have are greatly appreciated.

As for Tomi, the militia took him into custody last evening sneaking around outside the forge. They took his key to Brother Smythe's, recovered some tools he was stealing, and then returned him to his home and the custody of his parents. He was informed if he is spotted in town again before his hearing in front of the council he will be jailed below the tower.

Zokama learns a bit more about the strange idols and trinkets seen and destroyed after the Battle of Emridy Meadows, debased items often of wood, clay, or stone, depicting differing types of molds, fungi, or lichen type creatures, caricatures of living beings but twisted and malformed. They don't seem to mention any glowing gemstones, though one old soldier does recall his cousin mentioning a grand throne somewhere within the temple that was studded top to bottom with small purplish glowing gemstones, easily had to be hundreds of them.

The man Zokama is referring to is Elmo, son of the village militia captain. He is around but has been spending less time at the Inn lately. You might seek him out or ask around about his current whereabouts.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Musami shakes his head. This is troubling. The moat house seems the largest threat, but Tent Town is also a concern, although I would gauge a less weighty one at this time. He quiets for a moment. Could I have a pad of paper and something to sketch with please?

He begins to sketch what he knows of the moat house's structure with an eye to collapsing it.

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama figures the throne is long gone, but she files the information in the back of her mind in case they run across such a thing.

Hey, anyone seen Elmo around?

____

Seeing what Musami is trying to do, Zokama jumps in and adds to the sketch, pointing out some possible weak points.

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


The barmaid mentions that Elmo has been talking about going to visit his brother, Otis, but doesn't think he's left town yet. She mentions that's unlikely, as she's heard he passed away a few years ago on one of their "adventures." Ostler suggests since he hasn't been visiting the inn lately Elmo may have been doing his drinking in Tent Town, rolling his eyes, or more likely visiting with the old hunter Black Jay. The pair sometimes get together and reminisce over the battles they've fought and the places they visited over their respective careers and lifetimes.

Working out the details regarding the moat house Zokama and Musami are at a bit of a loss over how to fully destroy the place, considering their relative lack of resources. It appears to be built atop a solid spar of sandstone and limestone, with the dungeon level hollowed out of what was likely originally a sinkhole and connected subterranean cavern. If a means could be found of flooding the surrounding wetlands into the underground chambers it might be possible the sudden moisture and dissolution of the gypsum rich substructure might weaken the spar, resulting in it being crushed under the heavier granite and hard stones used to build the fortifications above. Even if not collapsed it would surely result in a slow sinking of the structure, until subsurface suction pulls the thing fully beneath the surface of the surrounding marshlands.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

Ok, so just so I understand. We could flood the moat house? It would require the digging of tunnels or the like to allow the water to get into the structure I am assuming. That seems like a major engineering feat.

Musami continues to scribble, but it is clear that Zokama has the majority of the expertise in this area.


To an extent yes. You have determined the levels are below the surrounding water table and the place already suffers damp and moisture issues suggesting some areas are already eroding into the soggy earth beyond the stone walls. If you can find a place to tap into the waters themselves and start them flowing within as well as without then nature will do the rest. Provided you have stopped everyone inside from stopping the project behind you. Killing them might just accomplish that, though perhaps further exploration will avail you another plan.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

Braggi pays full attention when the plan to flood the most is exposed. He knows nothing about engineering, but expresses his will to help if the plan develops and advances. "Though we should probably explore a bit more in case we can get more information. There are several weird and ancient cults down there that could have agents elsewhere, and any knowledge could be key."

As for Tent Town, he's in favour of burning it to its very foundations, if it has any. "These... guys are laughing at our own faces, here at our own home."


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Do we know where Black Jay lives?

Agreed, Braggi. We should probably explore more, but I think Musami's overall idea is sound... that place needs to be permanently retired. Or I suppose being cleansed by a deity personally would also do it, but that one isn't very likely.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

I think we go in and clear it out some more. We have no idea if there are back entrances or escape tunnels. We explore while we clear and then bring it down on our way out.

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,765 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Beyond the Tentacled Eye Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.