Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


401 to 450 of 3,301 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

See links for Nesmian Plains and Chernasardo above. Latter has your current location and is roughly 30 miles by 50. Larger map is 50 by several hundred.

Aubrin sketches out a quick map with the help of Jet.

"We are here, see. Southern Chernasardo. Fangwood above us and the Nesmian plains in that direction. Molthune is here to the south. Hundreds of miles with no major town. Small houses and steadings but most of those folk would've been in Phaendar for market. The while town of Phaendar was accounted easy to defend because of these plains. Try crossing them now and the hob's'll find you for sure."

She gazes over the sketch.

"Hard to say where this Fort is. Might be some other knows but could just as easy be code."

Krowe checks with the others if they've heard of Fort Trevalay. Most shake their heads but Taidel pipes up. "I think I heard a ranger in town talking about that once. He said they had a place to go if there was trouble, a hidden fort they could fight back from. Didn't say where of course."

His sister Lirosa adds, "They are the Chernasardo Rangers though, it can't be too far from here. Southern Fangwood at least and that's closer than any town that could help. It'd be months on the road just to get to any standing army and months back, assuming they were ready to march when you got there."

If you're spending the rest of the day organizing the camp and survivors you'll need to subtract the appropriate Provisions.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"Maybe they left some sort of trail we can follow." Bor chimes in. "Linking up with them does sound like it is our best bet. A hidden Fort that we can defend until it is time to strike back." The group seemed to have a common purpose for now. Simple survival. The thought alone and the drive to keep moving forward at least kept the visions at bay. For now that is.

Bor looks around the area for any signs of tracks from the Rangers.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Bor doesn't need any of the equipment listed above.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil takes the cloak.

Faolan Baran wrote:
Faolan smiles, "You want to go to a place Aubrin's never heard of? Does anyone know where it is?"

Bazsil smiles and gives Faolan the drinky-drinky sign and points at Aubrin. Is it any surprise she doesn't remember where things are? He nods as Taidel points out the place does exist, though is disappointed that it is secretive and hidden and not open and well known.

"Sounds like Bor has the right of it. Let's get set up here today, then see if we can track them or find help someplace," Bazsil intones deeply. He bends over the sketch, hoping for a few more crumbs of locales, however tenuous. "Taidel, Lirosa, Aubrin...can you mark any other locations that you know about around here? Krowe? Know any more locations? Might be useful to know places we can fallback to if they find us here. Also, there are places we can look for help."

Lirosa wrote:
"They are the Chernasardo Rangers though, it can't be too far from here. Southern Fangwood at least and that's closer than any town that could help. It'd be months on the road just to get to any standing army and months back, assuming they were ready to march when you got there."

Bazsil shakes his head, feeling a bit differently than Lirosa. "Are you kidding? No one is coming to help us. Why would they? And who would? I'm thinking that we need to get you all to safety. That's my primary concern. We need to get out and get people to safety." Bazsil says, looking around to see what others will think. "I don't think any army is coming to save us. Isn't going to happen."

Shadow Lodge

Several of the camp scowl at Bazsil's proclimation.

"You ain't from around here are ya?" A large man with leathers and chapped skin shakes his head. [b]"We don't run, and we sure has hells ain't running from some hobgoblins. They'll leave and we'll take our homes back."

There are cheers in the redoubt at this. "Name is Zeke, I'm a local and a forester. There's a camp, here, on the other side of this section of forest. Might be a few men there that know there way around the forest better than me. Mostly I just followed the edge and my woodcraft is lacking."

Bor's search of the surroundings, accompanied by Taidel and Lirosa, turns up scant sign. You do find evidence that the Rangers withdrew from the area in good order and covered their tracks well. Even your sharp eyes almost missed the tracks. Too old and scant to follow but what you found led into the woods.

I've updated the map for the 3 points of interest you have. I can update the smaller map as well if you find it useful, else I'll just remove it.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor returns, sweat running down his face and staining his shirt. "The tracks are too old. The Rangers seemed to have had enough time to cover their retreat as well."

He looks around at the dissension among the people. "We setting up camp here for the night? Or do you think we have enough time in the day to scout out this camp Zeke is talking about?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil spins looking at the crowd to gauge their scowls.

"What? Is there an army coming to stop these hobgoblins and reclaim your homes? I think not. I still think not. Does not mean we cannot fight for them, but only that there will be no one coming to save us," Bazsil pushes back...but trying to do so in a way that challenges and gets affirmation of purpose rather than to chastise or disagree.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Diplomacy

Bazsil looks to the large chapped and leathered man. "You think I won't fight? You think I haven't bled already for you? You think I won't bleed again?" Bazsil looks from one face to another. "Should we keep those who cannot fight and those we may not be able to protect with us? Or take them to safety? Tell me so I know what is important. I would know."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe had little to offer Bazsil. He might be able to follow the road to Tamran, and find his way to some of the settlements along the rivers, but the Fangwood was a mystery to him. He hadn’t even known about the camp until Zeke mentioned it.

”I think...” He begins, but is drowned out by Bazsil’s diatribe before he can finish the thought.

He scowls at the half elf, but he soon understands the real purpose of Bazsil’s worlds are a challenge. It’s a risky gambit, and one that could earn him a broken nose, but the people of Nirmathas live risky lives and Krowe thinks it could galvanize the survivors.

Stepping up next to Zeke, Krowe offers a respectful nod to the big man. ”We will fight. We will bleed. The goblins most of all.” He looks to Bazsil. ”The ranger’s redoubt is defendable, but we must do more than wait for the storm to pass. We must erase our trail - the dust of tracelessness should be able to handle that. We should also check the camp Zeke mentioned as soon as possible - they may know more of the Fangwood or the rangers, but they should be warned of the invasion as well.”

So my proposal is that we leave the refugees at the redoubt, use the dust to erase any trail that might lead to them, then head right for Zeke’s camp.

Shadow Lodge

Zeke grins at Bazsil. "Guess we'll find out if you're a fighter. Yeah, Mr. Krowe here's got the right of it, we can stay here and hunt up some while you check on the loggers."

Jet has taken official charge of the provisions and motions you to the side.

"I've checked the stores, we've got enough to make it through today and maybe tomorrow, but we'll need to hunt if we're survive here for long. Going to be tough in this swamp but it has to happen."

You have 31 mouths to feed and started with 36 Provision points. Jet generates 1 Provision Point a day. You'll need to assign scouts, hunters, and day camp personal as appropriate before you proceed. I'll post the spreadsheet shortly.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"I think our first priority has to be shelter and food. Let's split up half the folks to gather/hunt for food, sprinkle a couple guards to keep the watch by day (we'll keep the watch by night in rotation), and have others build shelters and the tasks they're already assigned."

"Once we have a surplus of food and enough shelter, we can look to branch out and begin hunting hobgoblins and their ilk."

"Today, I think we four should cover our tracks with the dust, and check the immediate vicinity for herd animals or other issues." (basically look around, and hope for some luck with herd animals)

I've converted the spreadsheet to a Google sheet so the players can communally edit it and make notes. I've made some suggestions as to what we might do on day one, though I'll add it is somewhat risky. We need an average of 12 to make our food quota with this scheme...


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Thinking that there might be domesticated animals in the wild worth recapturing, Bazsil spends some time seeing if any of the refugees have any skill with handling animals. He uses his deep, rich voice to draw others out to speak about themselves and others.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 Diplomacy - gather info

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Never actually have handled animals before Bor is willing to help, though not sure how much help he could be. You see things generally tend to go bad with Bor around. His life began good, up until he joined up with him... the creature in his dreams. The man with those eyes.

Not trained in Handle animal, though Bor has a decent Survival that he can either help hunt / forage or build shelters.

"I will help where I can to shoo animals this way, though I haven't ever done that before. I have spent a small bit of time in the forest though and know how to hunt and somewhat know what berries to eat."


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Notified by the DM that we have shelter, so I adjusted the sheet to focus on food to hopefully get us a surplus going so we can take more risks...

Faolan listens as Bazsil queries the crowd and makes some mental notes on who can do what.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Totally happy to go with Faolan's Excel Sheet of Refugee Tasks n' Stuff. Not too interested in metagaming the perfect outcome, but prefer to keep things moving. I think we're close enough to let it go for a day.

Also, GM Balodek says that we'll need a name for our ragtag group of misfits and lost toys. I'm going to suggest 'The Unled' and encourage y'all to think of other better names. GM B suggests that the default option is pretty awful and so...suggest some names.

Once the assignments are set, Bazsil is ready to scout the area. He wants to learn as much as he can about these woods and if there are any hobgoblins nearby.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe watches and listens as Bazsil works the crowd, finding those with relevant skills. As lists are made and duties assigned, he can’t help but realize something. And he’s not the only one.

”Wow, are you a useless sod. Even the children know more about the forest then you.”
Krowe’s nails bite into the palms of his hands and he mutters to himself. ”I’ve survived before. Alone, with nothing. We can do this.”
”Alone?! That’s funny, berk, because I recall being there too. Protecting, hunting, and killing to fill your belly.”

He knows it’s true, but he silently vows do what he can for these people. For now, he looks for talent among them, hoping to channel their strengths and pair them up if necessary. To this end he takes time to get to know all of the refugees and bolster hope among them.

The assignments looks good, though in the future we may want Lirosa and Taidel to stand watch after we have a little food. If they work together (one aiding the other) they have a decent check (+7 Perception). We may also want to foster Zeke as a scout and pair him with someone able to aid his survival skill to find points of interest (with aid he has +5 survival).

Should we roll their checks now or after a day? Also, are we spending a day with them or departing for the logging camp immediately?

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

]I like the Unled, here are just a few more suggestions for the pool: Lord of the Flies, The Fang of Phaendor (Make these Hobgoblins fear the Fangwoods).

Seeing the camp broken down into smaller groups Bor begins to move between a pair of them, showing them how to hunt in the forest and describing what berries to collect. "Make sure you bring back the seeds for harvesting. We don't know how long we will be here and they may come in handy."

Let the starvation and cannibalism begin! :)

Shadow Lodge

Oberon Krowe wrote:


Should we roll their checks now or after a day? Also, are we spending a day with them or departing for the logging camp immediately?

Will push the story forward as soon as I know this. Happy to roll or have you guys do it. Probably easiest to declare the roles then make the rolls at the beginning of a Day. Consider Day 1 to be the day it took you to go from your first night camp to the redoubt. With everyone moved in these assignments would be for Day 2.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

If day one was travel, then day two should be scouting for the party, not heading to the logging camp. We should secure our immediate area and cover our tracks into the compound with the magic dust. Day three is an expedition to the logging camp for us. Also, I think the GM should roll for the NPCs - or at least not me. :)

And I like Fang of Phaendor - very nice.

Faolan rises early and gathers his gear. Damn I'm carrying a lot of crap. he muses idly. He hopes some of it will prove to be useful over the coming trials. He checks in with Aubrin and prepares to scout around the neighborhood.

Shadow Lodge

The farmers are not happy to be separated from their child for the day, however they understand that catching sheep and goats may be too much for her. After scouring your immediate area the villagers return with various roots and berries. Edran manages to bring down several birds; a spikey haired teenager wearing badly dyed black robes (and insists that everybody refer to her as Cinder instead of Sharlene) has managed to spear a small pig.

Felix and Harris report no sighting around camp that would concern you.

Bob, Nancy, and another local farmer manage to return with 2 sheep and a goat.

Your group begins to scout the immediate area. You find little of excitement until Bor spots a large patch of bramble vines. They vines are ripe with berries and would prove a welcome addition to your stores.

Do you wish to harvest the berries or push on with your scouting?


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bor, can you create water? Are you willing to do so for the party? Can we assume water is covered? GM Balodek: is Aubrey willing to do so as well?

Is it Fang or Fangs (plural) of Phaendor? Are we a unit or separate pieces working together?

Bazsil seems pleased with the early returns from the hunting and foraging by others, but still worries about food.

”Berries? Looks like a lot of them. We should note the location and have someone come out tomorrow and pick them,” Bazsil says, because that’s what scouts do: they scout, note, and report. He will, however, be sure to check to be sure there are no dangerous animals around or living in the thickets.

@GM B:
Bazsil had 4 weeks trail rations from his initial char build. Okay to say that 1 has been eaten during the first travel from the Town with No Name to the Phaendor area? 3 weeks left?

Shadow Lodge

The water is covered, given available containers and to leave a little challenge I'm only counting it as 1/4 of a PP for each person, giving you 8 total.

Bazsil:

Three weeks is reasonable. Per the AP you have the following "Together one trail ration and a waterskin also translate to 1 Provision Point." I didn't calculate those but we can work it in.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe tags along with the mercenaries as they scout the area and feels a little better when he actually spots something helpful.

”Beginner’s luck. Those berries are likely poisoned.”

”Let’s make sure they are safe.”

Grimacing, Krowe grabs a few and tests them out. In case they aren’t edible he keeps a hand in his antitoxin.

Fangs of Phaendar seems good, but I’m not completely sold yet. Half of the party are not locals and our group of refugees may grow to include more members that aren’t from the town. Fangs of Nirmathas might be more appropriate. Or maybe Fangwood Raiders. I’d like to give it a week or two to see how things go. For all we know it might be more appropriate to call ourselves Bazsil’s Fangwood Runners. ;)

Shadow Lodge

Berries and things:

Krowe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Bazsil: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Faolan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Bor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Krowe finds the berries both ripe and delicious. As you set about finding a container to carry the berries in, you fail to notice that one of the plants in this particular patch is moving until it lashes out.

Plant@Krowe: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 81d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Krowe's natural caution serves him well as he pulls his arm out of the way, a razor sharp tendril whipping through the air past him.

Initiative:

Bazsil: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Faolan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Bor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Krowe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Plant: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Turn Tracker Round 1
Krowe
Bazsil
Faolan
Plant
Bor

Krowe, Bazsil, and Faolan are up.

Plant:

DEFENSE
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 13 (3d8)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
Immune mind-affecting effects; Resist electricity 5, fire 5
Weaknesses vulnerable to acid
OFFENSE
Speed 5 ft.
Melee 2 slams +3 (1d4+1 plus bleed)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks bleed 1, breakage
13/13


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Round 1, Init 8

Free:
Move: Move to plant.
Stnd: Prune the hedges of many small villages.

"Krowe! Look out!" Bazsil swings at the plant with his long bladed sword.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 to hit;
1d10 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 slashing damage.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+5[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]1d10+6[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 17/17
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos.

Spells: 1/3 used
Lore: 3/13 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

@Balodek:
Error. I misspoke. Rations are by the day, not the week. Bazsil has one, maybe days left. Not even worth mentioning. Ignore.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Create water is not on his list for the day but Purify food and water is.

Bor looks over the berry patch. "Food is food. I can alter the chemicals within to not poison the body." Purify food and water. Bor brushes his hand through the berries. "I too have had to spend a bit of time on my own. Did what I had to survive."

Then the branches seem to move on their own. Something Bor just thought was the wind at first before it physically reaches for Krowe. "Holy crap!"


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Round 1
SA: withdraw to back row

Bor echoes Krowe’s thoughts. Jumping back, he lets Bazsil take to pruning the thing.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 1, Initiative: 7

Status:
HP: 24/24 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row
Opponent: Plant
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +2, Str +4 (flurry -2) Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +2, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 4/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

MvA: Move up into flank and draw shield
StA: Attack plant.

Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11 (flank) damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Faolan draws his shield as he closes in with the plant. He tries to push it back into the ground.

Shadow Lodge

The strange plant gives one last half hearted swipe at Bazsil.

Plant@Bazsil: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 161d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The wound forms a nasty gash on the half elf, leaving him bleeding far more than you'd expect.

Bleed 1 condition.

As the plant drops you poke the bushes a few more times to see nothing else move. Gathering the berries you continue your patrol through the forest.

+5 Provision Points.

The rest of your patrol proves uneventful and you return to camp to learn of that days successes.

Sounds like the plan is for you guys to head to the logging camp on Day 3, make any adjustments you need to the camp jobs and I'll roll it up then we'll have you heading out.

One note, you may have trail rations on you from character creation. One day of trail rations plus a waterskin counts as 1PP. Should you use up such rations as your daily PP simply add it to the PC Contribution section of the chart.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor has 5 trail rations, though I am sure those probably were eaten on the initial road travel to Phaendar.

The plant creature is down before Bor has any idea what is happening. Most of the group is a lot quicker at reacting than he is as they begin hacking branches off and picking the creatures berries.

Bor isn't quite sure how to feel as they begin stripping the berries from its flesh? "Maybe we could just drag the whole thing back to camp." Seeing Bazsil bleeding a bit Bor offers to close his injuries.

CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Back at the camp he loosens his armor and relaxes for the evening, and works on making sure all of the food brought back isn't going to kill someone further by someone picking the wrong berry.

Shadow Lodge

I wasn't very clear, the berries were on bushes and this plant creature was hiding in the bushes, so you're not eating the berries of a sentient plant, just the berries of the non-sentient plants around it.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan hits the plant one more time, "Never been attacked by a plant before. I mean not really..."

He walks back to camp, satisfied they have hidden as well as they may, at least for now. Once at the camp he does what he can to shift supplies to the right storage, carry water reserves, etc. Heavy lifting.

He keeps his watch that night alert and content with food in his belly. He rises early, gathers his gear, and is ready to head to the logging camp. He makes few suggestions for the crew that day.

"I think Zeke should stay behind and build a pen for the herd animals we're collecting. He can keep an eye on Margaret, who in turn, can keep an eye on our small herd. Just for today. Tomorrow maybe she can go out and try to find an animal with her parents. Should be safe enough."

Before leaving, Faolan divests himself of much of his pack so as to have room to carry things back from the logging camp that may be of use.

How far away is the logging camp?


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

+1 to logging camp.

"Oh, thank you, Bor," Bazsil appreciates as Bor stops the bleeding that he was just noticing wasn't stopping. "Dang cut was pretty deep...wasn't stopping bleeding."

Bazsil wipes the berrymonster blood (jam?) from his blade, keeping the long-bladed sword as well tended as he can as the party has no way to repair, hone, or fix broken weapons.

This is my sword, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bazsil, for his part, doesn't eat too many of the berries as he picks, but still has a few red and blue berry splotches on his lips and tongue as he works.

+1 to crew suggestions.

Bazsil will be ready to go to the logging camp in the morning. Before bed he will make sure to use his magics to heal whomever might need it. He doesn't have much, but everyone is welcome to it.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Having just escaped being foraged by the local flora, Krowe is more aware of the dangers of the Fangwood.

”Great idea Faolan. I think we made a mistake in assuming that that picking berries was a safe job. I’ll make sure Margaret’s parents are ok with this new arrangement.”

Before the mercs set out for the logging camp Krowe seeks out the child’s parents (Bob and Nancy?) to assess their needs and make sure the new situation is acceptable.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 mouth meet foot

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor ends up helping with the last watch of the night to make sure everyone gets settled in. Twilight has always been the worst. The lights and shadows play tricks on the broken mind. Only this day he is with a whole camp of broken souls.

Seeing the others beginning to wake up he joins them for breakfast as he grabs a handful of berries and sheep's milk. "Yea, even the plants are out to kill us all." Bor makes his pack light to be able to carry more back. "How far out is this Logging Camp supposed to be?" He asks as he checks Baszil's wounds from the day before. "Make sure it doesn't get infected or that the plant carried some sort of poison."

Shadow Lodge

Bob and Nancy nod along at Krowe's plan. Not the most eloquent explanation they nonetheless are familiar with Zeke and believe the camp to be safer.

It is 20 miles to the logging camp through temperate forest. General travel would be 24 miles, trackless forest would be 12 miles in a day. There are some trails that can be followed but for the most part you'll want to avoid those. I also assume you're traveling more carefully given the hostile force in Phaendar. Call it 2 days to the logging camp and 2 days back. You could also swing by the southern edge of the forest to see what's going on in town without changing that time overmuch, or you can cut straight across the forest from where you're located. If you take any supplies for the travel mark them as negative in the PC section of the camp sheet.

The camp leaders approach as you're preparing, offering little in the way of advice but small encouragements.

"Good luck boys, if those loggers are smart they'll have kept their heads down and you can bring 'em back to us," Aubrin growls from her place of rest. Missing these last few days is the boisterous woman you first met, her injuries not threatening her lift but certainly sapping her energy.

Edran watches with the rest as you make your plans and mark your travel on the map.

You swing by Phaendar:

"So close to town? Is that safe? What if you're seen?"

You cut across the forest:

"You're not curious to see what's going on in town? And what of that tower you spoke of, maybe you can get a better look in the light."

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor is a bit concerned with Aubrin. He pulls her to the side. "You okay? You sick? I have noticed you aren't quite as jovial as normal." Bor thinks for a moment.

I bet it is cause she is getting sober for too long.

But he needs to hear it from her. Cause if she caught some sort of illness they would have to put her in isolation for a short period until she feels better.

***

Once Aubrin has been dealt with Bor ponders over the map. "If we go this route we can see if we can spot that mysterious tower we saw in town. Get a better look at it. It will only add a couple minutes to the trip both ways."


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"I agree Bor, let's skim past the town on our way out and see what can be seen. I think we can hold our own and if we need to flee, remember not to flee back here, but rather to some other rally point. Maybe here." he points to a more or less random clearing in the forest where they can regroup if hunted.

"I've some rations left yet, I rather over-planned when we started out. So I can feed me and one other on this excursion to preserve our stores of food - and travel lighter."

Turning to the others, he suggests, "Start building up some infrastructure if you can while we're gone. Collect the food. Find good ways to store it. Pen the growing herd. Generally try to make yourselves more comfortable."

He makes a few more notes, increasing the guard, shuffling the family a bit to care for their child, that sort of thing.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil nods, agreeing with Bor's plan.

"Yeah, let's see what we can see," Bazsil agrees with his deep voice. [b]"If I had my way, I would watch the town all the time, but we don't have a good way to do that. Would be nice to know their comings and goings...and when they might be weak enough to strike at."{/b]

+1 to Faolan's orders.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”I agree.” Krowe nods to the mercs.
To Edran, he adds. ”Sooner or later we will need to see what is happening in Phaendar. If they are rebuilding the bridge or planning to march into the forest we should know about it now.”

Shadow Lodge

Aubrin

"I'm fine boy, fine. That ballista bolt took it out of me, think not all the pieces have regrown yet you know."

Logging Camp

You set out, the camp busy assigning guards, building paddocks, and foraging for food. You note one or two glances as you leave but most seem confident. You begin moving through the forest, skirting the edge every so often. Your plan is to observe the bridge and town, then cross the forest road as quickly as possible then make your way to the logging camp.

Terrain in the Fangwood is difficult. Rolling hills, gullies, sudden drops, house-sized boulders, and thick stands of undergrowth make for a confusing and treacherous landscape that generally prevents travel in straight lines for more than 100 feet at a time. Strands of ancient elven magic sometimes cause the terrain to shift seasonally, rotating copses of trees, raising hills, and uncovering previously hidden canyons. Trees grow over 100 feet high and blot out the sun in most of the forest, leaving the forest floor in a perpetual twilight and often supporting entirely separate ecosystems in their upper branches. Though beautiful, the constant switchbacks and shifting terrain make travel hard for even seasoned rangers.

Phaendar Bridge

Approaching the bridge you see several hobgoblins standing watch. Your attempt to blow up the bridge was successful and the entire middle span has been removed. You see a crude rope bridge has been strung up to replace it. While certainly not what you'd hoped for it is only good for foot traffic and would not allow a large force to cross in a timely fashion.

More troublesome is the clear view you have of Phaendar. Most of the town is being torn down by the former villagers. They work under the lash of hobgoblin masters and are moving the lumber from dismantled houses to another area where more people are constructing a palisade. You see clearly the large black tower in the center of town, no windows or doors mar the surface but a gaping opening at the base seems to lead directly into the earth.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor's mouth stays a gap as he stares at the large black tower. "Where did it come from." He ducks as the hobgoblin patrol on the bridge does a pass. "We should keep moving before we are seen." His armor creaks. "Or heard."

The ruins of Phaendar play havok on his mind as he is sure the destruction is real, but not how much. In his eyes the world is in a constant state of decay and ruin, only to give him small glimpses of hope with normal vision. Though mostly the visions come at night, when he is vulnerable.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

As the party gets some distance from what's left of the town, Faolan agrees, "Yeah, that's not good. We're going to have to face fortifications by the time we're ready to push back. That's tough. These seem rather well supplied and in larger numbers than I thought - and that tower. Damn."

He keeps his legs moving and onto the logging camp, though his thoughts are not pleasant.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

"That tower," Bazsil speaks deeply. "We must take it down when we take the town. Any of count how many hobgobs you see?"

Bazsil tries to count how many goblins there are in the town, as best he can.

"Also, I'd like to take that down that other bridge too...show them that this side of the river is ours, but best not to announce that we're here, I suppose. As long as they don't seem keen on looking for us, I don't aim to remind them."

After his count, he's ready to move on.

Shadow Lodge

Bazsil estimates there are at least 100 hobgoblins that he can see, in addition to wolves and the occasional bugbear. Far more than you are able to handle right now.

Moving swiftly back into the forest you continue your trek to the logging camp. Crossing the road with caution and dropping into an old creek bed running parallel to the road, Bor's sharp eyes spot a leather boot sticking out of the undergrowth. You are unable to see more of the body from where you crouch.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1
Bazsil Grimalkin wrote:
"Any of count how many hobgobs you see?"

”Too many. And they seem intent to stay a while.”

Nodding to Faolan, he adds, ”That tower poses a bigger threat then the hobgoblins already here. Who knows what lurks within its walls, or under it. I’ll say again, this is no ordinary raid.”

Bazsil Grimalkin wrote:
"Also, I'd like to take that down that other bridge too...show them that this side of the river is ours, but best not to announce that we're here, I suppose. As long as they don't seem keen on looking for us, I don't aim to remind them."

”I think I can do something about the rope bridge, but you’re right, now is not the best time. They went to a bit of trouble to set that, so let’s keep in mind that the chances of hobgoblin scouts on this side just went up, and we should try to cover our tracks as best we can from now on.”

***

Upon discovering a boot in the undergrowth...

Keeping back, Krowe whispers, ”Is it attached to a man or hobgoblin?”

As a precaution he casts a spell to armor himself.

Mage armor.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

With Bor's alarm, Bazsil will slow, drawing his longbow.

"Well, we might have trouble ahead, or not. Let's be careful."

Bazsil will proceed slowly, at half speed, and keep looking for danger.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Seeing the boot Bor cautiously approaches, hearing Krowe casting a spell behind him. He utters a spell of his own beneath the scarf. His eyes look beyond the veil and at all of the magical auras.

Detect magic in the vicinity of the body.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan shoulders his shield, making ready for battle. When the others are prepared, he'll cross over and examine the shoes in person - looking for the shoe filler naturally.

"Ho there, step out and be recognized." he says as he approaches.

Shadow Lodge

Rounding the corner you see that the body is well past standing up. You believe it to be a human woman but she has been savaged. Beneath the bruises and wounds you can barely tell what her face looked like and it is some time before Krowe recognizes her as Gilida Dravonich, a local trapper.

Faolan and Bor spot a long black fingernail in one of the wounds and are able to confirm the wounds match hobgoblin weapons, as does the nail.

Her backpack glows of magic and should you take and search it you will find the following:

handy haversack
a bear trap
climber’s kit
4 days’ worth of rations
two waterskins
animal skins worth 150 gp

Heal DC 15:

Examining the body you determine that while the injures were fatal, none are decidedly lethal blows. Instead the wounds were shallow and carefully placed to cause pain and a slow death.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Untrained heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

After revealing the identify of the trapper, Krowe suggests taking her bag to carry any supplies found.

”The hobgoblins have been busy. We should circle the camp and try to determine if any of the Legion has made it that far before we enter.”


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil tosses the haversack to Krowe. ”This seems handy, why don’t you take it?” And he’s happy with the rest of the find. Food and water are important, let alone some nice skins for when it gets cold. It all gets packed away.

Bazsil likes the plan to circle the logging camp before entering.

401 to 450 of 3,301 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.