Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


151 to 200 of 3,453 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil lets Faolan tend to the shut-ins, he goes to examine the corpses for provisions (including the 4th hobgob), and then will see about getting the bucket brigade to focus on finding provisions and safety.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Perception


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe follows Faolan to the dead hobgoblin, but let’s the big man dispatch it while he calls through the open smithy doors.

”Anyone in there? The town is overrun, but we gathered other survivors here. We need to gather what supplies we can and make for the Fangwood before the Legion stops looting and starts finishing off survivors.”

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor looks to Faolan, "let me go in first. Whoever killed this Hob is probably scared and likely to attack whoever enters first if they are holed up."

Bor grabs his shield and stays ducked behind it as he enters through the door. "I am coming in. We don't mean you any harm. We are just looking for survivors."

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Shadow Lodge

Faolan hears cries from within the trading post.

"Hello? Who are you? How do we know this ain't a trick?"

Rhyna quickly moves to the door and continues the conversation as the buckets of water are thrown at the roof.

Bazsil loots while this occurs, and finds these hobgoblins equipped much as the previous ones.

Loot:

3x studded leather armor
3x light steel shield
3x longsword
3x longbow with 20 arrows

The fourth hobgoblin has no salvageable gear, though you could pour him out of his armor. He appears to have been crushed and most of his bones broken.

Bor and Krowe hear a voice from the rafters of the smithy.

"We're here, we're up here. Watch out for the creature!"

Moving cautiously into the smithy you see by the light of a green torch set in the wall that the place has already been looted, the weapons and armor removed. Bor catches sight of two bows at the southern end of the smithy, just below a hatch in the ceiling.

GM Stuff:

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Before you can act further a small pile of ambulatory rocks moves from behind the anvil.

Initiative:

Bazsil: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Faolan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Bor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Krowe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Rock Pile: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

I've included Bazsil but he's outside looting and stabbing corpses (sometimes they come back) so wouldn't be able to act in the first round.

The smithy is 35 feet by 15 feet and Bor is in the middle. Faolan and Krowe are by the entrance, a move action away from the creature. Baz is a move action from the entrance. There are a few tables, anvils, racks for equipment and in the north east corner a forge. The floor is smooth and would not be hindering terrain.

The rock pile stretches its arms and the sound of boulders being smashed together resonates from it.

The creature is the size of a small dog (S) and has not attacked.

Turn Tracker
Bazsil
Rocks
Faolan
Bor
Krowe

Faolan is up.

Rocks:

DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
hp 13 (2d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref –1, Will +3
Immune elemental traits
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
Melee slam +6 (1d6+4)

Rocks: 13/13


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 1, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 6/13 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row
Opponent: Pile of Rocks
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +1, Str +4 Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +1, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 0/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

MvA: Close carefully with the rock
StA: Shield Bash

Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Faolan wishes he’d gone to Bazsil for healing sooner, but it’s too late for that now. He’ll have to do better in the future if he survived this battle. He closes more carefully this time, sliding up to the creature carefully and leaving a charge lane for others.

"Stay up there, we'll handle this!" he shouts to the people who likely have no intention of setting foot on the ground until the thing stops moving. For a while.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9
Balodek wrote:
(sometimes they come back)

You bastard. That's my line! And re-read the post after that one.

Bazsil continues to loot and chop at corpses, looting the dead.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Round 1 - Initiative 4
MA: direct eagle
SA: use wand

Knowledge planes: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Blackbird claw (flanking): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Magic Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Krowe’s eyes widen at the sight of living rocks. He considers telling the others to give it space, unsure if it is hostile to more than just hobgoblins, but when Faolan moves in he realizes it’s too late for caution. Krowe sends his blackbird in to flank and whips his wand again.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"Handle this?" Bor looks confused and terrified at the same time as he asks behind his patched scarf. "You've handled living rocks before?"

Bor flashes light from the fire off his shield to try and confuse the creature as he moves in closer.

SA: Cast Lesser Confusion (DC 16 Will save)
MA: Move into melee

Status:

HP 9/9
AC 18 (20 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used: (1st) Shield of Faith x2 ; Lesser Confusion
Vision of Madness 5/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 1/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

The creature's tough hide resist all but the magic of Krowes wand.

Krowe with your Knowledge roll you may ask 2 questions. You recognize the creature as an earth elemental and are familiar with all of these traits:

Elemental:

Immunity to bleed, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking. Does not take additional damage from precision-based attacks, such as sneak attack.
Elementals do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

"No problem, you've got this!"

Will DC 16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Turn Tracker
Bazsil
Earth Elemental
Faolan
Bor
Krowe

The elemental attacks the first person who came in contact with it.

Elemental@Faolan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 241d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Apparently all I needed to succeed was get you guys into a forge.

Elemental:

DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
hp 13 (2d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref –1, Will +3
Immune elemental traits
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
Melee slam +6 (1d6+4)
Rocks: 9/13

What's left of Faolan is up.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 2, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 1/13 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row (5’ back)
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +1, Str +4 Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +1, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 0/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

StA: Shield Bash
FrA: 5’ step back

Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Faolan takes the hit, and nearly crumbles from the blow. He takes one more swing, and backs up from the front row (5’ at least) and holds his shield defiantly.

"Hey Bazsil, you still got that wand? I could use a dose if you don't mind."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Round 1 - Initiative 4
Eagle: full attack
MA: none
SA: defer initiative to go after Bazsil - might use wand

Blackbird Talon (flanking): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Blackbird Talon (flanking): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Blackbird Bite (flanking): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Magic Missile:

Missile Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

I'll ask about elemental special attacks and defense, but I doubt either will help in this situation. There's pretty much only one option with earth elementals - hit them hard and fast.

"Bazsil! We need your help!" Krowe calls to half-elf overkilling hobgoblins outside. "There's an elemental in here!" To everyone, "Don't waste your time looking for a weak point, they don't have them. Hit it hard and fast!"

Meanwhile, Krowe's blackbird tears into the elemental. He prepares his wand, but holds until the last moment.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Round 2, Init 19

Move: Move closer to foe. Still one move action away.
Stnd: Start heroic song, because Bazsil rolls like that.

Baszil moves up and begins to remind Faolan that he is a man, and men don't take guff from piles of rocks.

"Time to storm the forge,
Bringing sword to moving stone,
Faolan stands bent by slam,
Bazsil comes to lay it prone."

Bazsil is tracking the wand, but I think Bor has the wand.

Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath:
Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+4[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]1d10+6[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 9/9
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos.

Spells: 1/2 used
Lore: 3/11 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Hearing of the wand Bor reaches down and draws the wand from the leather loop in his belt, a belt he had made nearly a decade ago visiting the nearby settlement of Trunau. He bought it from an older elf that complained about his sore legs a lot, though he couldn't quite remember his name.

Bor concentrates on the wand and a small mote of silver light trails off of the end and covers Faolan's wounds like a thick glue.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

MA: Draw wand
SA: Use 1 charge of CLW Wand
Not accepting raging Song at this time.

Status:

HP 9/9
AC 18 (20 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used: (1st) Shield of Faith x2 ; Lesser Confusion
Vision of Madness 5/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 1/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

Krowe you know the following.
Special Attacks earth mastery
Special Defense just elemental traits. No DR until Large

Bor's wand pops a few of Faolan's ribs into place while Bazsil sings the song of his people.

Turn Tracker
Bazsil
Krowe
Earth Elemental
Faolan
Bor

Krowe the song and inability to flank may change some of your actions and bird attacks, let me know if you're still going to use the wand and I'll adjust the HP then act. Depending on adjustments it may drop before it can attack or I'd post the rolls now.

Elemental:

DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
hp 13 (2d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref –1, Will +3
Immune elemental traits
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
Melee slam +6 (1d6+4)
Rocks: 9/13


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

I had forgot about the elemental immunity to flanking. Krowe will use his wand. 2 points of damage .

Shadow Lodge

With all but Krowe's eagle out of range the elemental turns to that creature.

Elemental@Eagle: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 261d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 121d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Turn Tracker
Bazsil
Krowe
Earth Elemental
Faolan
Bor

Elemental:

DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
hp 13 (2d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref –1, Will +3
Immune elemental traits
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
Melee slam +6 (1d6+4)
Rocks: 3/13


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 3, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 7/13 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row
Opponent: Elemental
- - -
Conditions: Song (+2 Str/Con, +1 Will, -1 AC, skill limits)
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +1, Str +4 Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +1, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 0/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

FrA: 5’ step up
StA: Shield Bash

Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 1 = 7 (song) damage: 1d6 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 1 = 11 (song)

As Faolan takes the healing, he turns and says, ”Thanks mate! Much obliged!” before turning back, stepping up, and swinging!

Doing well there Faolan... doing well...


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Round 3, Init 19

Move: Move closer to foe.
Stnd:

Baszil moves up to attack the pile the stones, continuing his oration.

1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 19 to hit; (flank)
1d10 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 = 12 slashing damage.

"Time to storm the forge,
Bringing sword to moving stone,
Faolan stands bent by slam,
Bazsil comes to lay it prone."

Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath:
Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

[spoiler=Stats of the Grim Grimalkin]

[ dice]1d20+4[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]1d10+6[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 9/9
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos.

Spells: 1/2 used
Lore: 4/11 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

Shadow Lodge

-2 for no flanking is still 17, so that's enough to end it.

With a clatter of falling rock Bazsil ends the threat of both the elemental and further verse.

Shortly after the elemental crumbles the loft door opens and two lithe half-elves drop to the floor, picking up the bows. The female steps forward.

"Who're you then? And how'd you know how to hit that thing?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil looks the elves up and down.

Elven:
"I just hit things hard. Either they break or I do usually," Bazsil relates to the elves, his hand almost moving to his bandage. "It's not complicated...though...did they nick my blade?" Bazsil spends a moment checking his long-bladed sword before remembering how little time there is.

"We speak more of this later. We gather survivors on the far side. We seek supplies as well. You can help us here now or go find the town drunk Caydenite, Aubrin, and stay with her. We need to move quickly."

Bazsil begins to look around the smithy for a whetstone and any other supplies of interest. As he searches, Bazsil asks a question of the elves.

Elven:
"Did you see where that pile of rocks came from? Did it come with the hobgoblins?" Bazsil asks. [

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor nudges the rock pile around with his foot, half expecting them to reanimate. "Since when do Hobgoblins have this much control?"

He tosses one into the forge and takes a look around. "We are retreating to the Fangwood if you want to join us. Bring only what you can carry and is essential." He says to the pair of elves. Though he sounds gruff Bor is happy that he found and was able to help more survivors.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

The elemental’s blow defeats the blackbird, banishing it in a cloud of ash and cinder.

Poor Sassael. Took one for the team, he did. A real hero. Not like you. Shall we summon another?

Krowe ignores the voice and watches his companions finish the elemental off.

***

Krowe doesn’t comprehend the elven tongue as Bazsil speaks to the two half-elves, but he doesn’t hear any of their names either, so he offers them as etiquette dictates.

”This is Bazsil.” He gestures to the other half-elf. ”The big man is Faolan, the smaller one Bor. My name is Oberon Krowe. I’ve heard about elementals, though only enough to know they are hard to kill. We were at the Raproot when this invasion began. We’re gathering whoever we can, and whatever supplies are available, before making for the Feralwood. I suggest you join us. Do you know if anyone is in the trading post?”

Once the smithy is searched, he returns to the trading post and knocks on a window. ”Hello?! We’ve come to rescue you, but we can’t wait forever!”

Shadow Lodge

The woman listens to the torrent of information.

"Oberon Krowe is a name I recognize. Jeweler, right? My name is Lirosa and this is my brother Taidel. We're hunters and were in town the Market. I didn't see where that rock creature came from, but it didn't have any hobogblins with it when it showed up."

Bazsil you weren't able to see her before in the half light of the forge but now you do recognize the owner of the amulet you liberated from the shrine.

"You can take care of the townsfolk now", Taidel says. Lirosa nods along, "We've got hobgoblins to kill. Good luck in the Fangwood."

You can attempt a Diplomacy roll to convince them to come with you. You've made the arguments I just need a roll to see how persuasive they were.

Bor, you find a ring of keys hanging from a nail over a workbench.
Several notes regarding the bridge are scribbled in chalk on a large piece of slate leaning against the wall near the workbench. In addition you find that the torch lighting this area is an everburning torch.

***

Making your way back to the trading post entrance you see that the barricade has been removed and the doors open, and several people are moving out. You do see Kinning, dwarven owner of the smithy/trading post.

"Looks like I've traded hobgoblin looters for human." She grumbles but does little to stop you from clearing out the shop. The refugees are carrying away the basic seed and smithing supplies. In addition a quick sweep reveals the following.

longsword
two battleaxes
an alchemical silver rapier
masterwork light steel shield
masterwork backpack
climber’s kit
eight waterskins

You may spend more time searching or move on to the last shop, we will continue once you decide that as well as attempt to persuade the hunters to stay.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor grabs the keys and looks to the elven pair. "what do these go to?" Awaiting a response he glances over the notes concerning the bridge written on the slate.

He taps it with his cestus. "You build the bridge? We need a way to bring it down behind the survivors so the Hob's can't follow us."

Silly elves wrote:
"You can take care of the townsfolk now", Taidel says. Lirosa nods along, "We've got hobgoblins to kill. Good luck in the Fangwood."

He nods in understanding. Bor isn't going to argue much against the pair. It is their lives and he gave them warning and a way out. Whether they take it or not is up to them.

"For as long as elves have to live I have met more than I care to that actively seek death as you do."

Diplomacy Aid Another: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

”Bazsil, do you mind sticking to common huh? Not everyone knows elven.” he grouses, wondering if there’s anything in the jabber that he should know, but assuming not.

Faolan takes out the round ivory amulet engraved with Erastil’s bow-and-arrow holy symbol strung on a leather thong and hands it to Lirosa. ”We think this might be yours. You really should come with us you know. You’ll be overwhelmed if you do not, but we do not plan to merely hide and cower I don’t imagine. We’ll need good snipers and raiders if we’re to take back the town… if we can. Please join us.”

Diplomacy to aid: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11 vs DC 10

”Kinning, you are being very generous with your goods. If we do not take it now, the hobgoblins surely will. With luck, you’ll get some of this back when we return.” he says hoping for the best but believing as Kinning does, that it’s likely gone now. He coordinates the collection of the gear as he does a quick sweep of the shop.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Lastly he goes back to Bor, ”One more touch of the wand I think. My leg is still a bit weak from the battle, and I don’t want to slow us down.” Assuming he obliges…
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

And Faolan is ready to head toward the next shop.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

While the others dig through the smithy and the post Krowe works to recruit help and smooth over prickly dwarven feelings.

To Lirosa and Taidel, "This isn't a normal raid. You've seen this elemental. Did you see the strange tower? The Legion is using some powerful magic. Killing a few of their troops won't stop them. We've killed a few and they've hardly noticed... yet. When they do, we won't stand a chance. Like we've said, we're going to make for the Fangwood and try to avoid them, but we will need all the help we can get. I don't think a single person we've found has any foresting skills like the two of you have. Please... Come with us."

Diplomacy + Faolan aid: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 = 16 +1 if they are considered locals

To Kinning, "Do you see that scorched thatch up there? Had we not put that out you'd soon have nothing left. We are all leaving things behind. If you come with us you'll be survive to start over. And the more you bring along, the less you'll need to replace later." He hints, silently suggesting that the dwarf not hold out on them.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Pretty sure Bazs has the amulet.

Balodek wrote:
"Jeweler, right? My name is Lirosa and this is my brother Taidel."

Bazsil looks at the elven woman better and recalls something about something. Then it hits him as he is searching for the whetstone.

Of course! How is Krowe a jeweler? Did he mention that before!? That amulet I found is jewelry. Jewelry is a weird word. You know what else is a weird word? Amulet. Almost like omelet. I could eat an omelet right now. Oh man, do you think there is an omelet in here too? Or at least a good cooking skillet? OHWAIT! IHAVELIROSA'S AMULET!

Bazsil bangs his head on the cabinet door in his recollection.

"Lirosa, wait! This is yours, right?" Bazsil pulls out the amulet and offers it to her. "I found in the chapel. Did you want it back?"

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 Diplomacy to aid Krowe

Baszil takes and wraps the everburning torch. He wants it, but doesn't want the light of it to give the party's location away.

He helps back the goods away.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Sorry about that Bazsil, I missed you were carrying that amulet. Faolan would have looked at Bazsil then instead of offering it out loud.

Faolan waits for the others to finish their business before departing for their next destination. They’re making good points and doing it well. You should be doing that you fool. Think before you act. Learn patience…

Shadow Lodge

Lirosa shrugs at Bors question.

"This is Kinning's shop, you'd have to ask her what that's all about."

***

Lirosa takes the amulet and looks at it before nodding to the group.

"What you say has merit. We will accompany you then."

***

If Lirosa is the breeze that shifts as it must, Kinning is a particularly stubborn rock. She is completely unmoved by your logic. Her face grows even more sour when Faolan pulls a shiney buckler from a hidden cache in the floor, though she says nothing.

+1 buckler with the symbol of Droskar on it.

When Bor asks her about the keys and bridge she shrugs again.

"Yeah, I was working on the bridge, but they stopped paying me so I stopped working. Those keys are to the shed by the bridge and the crane."

Anyone studying the slate for 1 minute gains a +2 insight bonus on any Craft (alchemy), Disable Device, or Knowledge (engineering) checks attempted to destroy Phaendar Bridge.

***

Your business at the smithy concluded you add the newest charges to your growing ranks of refugees and make your way to Oreld's Fine Shop. The sounds of violence ring through the night and parts of the town are now aflame. You take advantage of the darkness and confusion to move unseen through the streets, passing bodies and destroyed wagons as you go.

Oreld’s Fine Shop—labeled with a small shingle hanging out front—is one of the few buildings in town made entirely of stone. Mortared white blocks form the walls of this odd shaped cottage. Scorch marks that shift in color from black to dark blue to glimmering violet mar one wall. The door to the shop stands open and bloody footprints lead inside.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 Know (Religion) - Droskar

Grr...will a 9 get me anything on Droskar?

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"They are everywhere. We didn't stand a chance." Bor grips his shield tight to his body as he mutters for divine guidance.

Shield of Faith.

Once everyone is ready he follows the bloody footprints through the door.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Back at Kinning’s Trading Post...

Krowe watches Kinning’s sour face as the survivors gather what is necessary for them to survive. He says nothing, but makes a mental note to keep keep and eye on the dwarf. Such stubbornness could be a problem.

Before leaving the Post, Krowe takes a minute to study the bridge designs on the slate, hoping it bears the key to bringing it down.

At Oreld’s Fine Shop...

Krowe glances at the bloody footprints, but his attention focuses on the odd scorch marks on the wall.

If he has time - detect magic.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Knowledge planes?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Shadow Lodge

Recognize an obscure deity’s symbol or clergy is DC 20. I'd give plus 5 if you're secretly a dwarf pretending to be a half-elf.
As is I'd say you know it's not a common deity but after that you're not sure.

Krowe's superior knowledge identifies the scorch marks, they originate from alchemical explosions.

With that Spellcraft roll I'd allow your character to further know that these are specifically from the Alchemist bomb special ability.

Bor leads the way into the shop. The shop consists primarily of a desk, a few crowded shelves, and a cluttered window display, all of which have been ransacked by invaders. The space itself is 25 feet by 20, with the door you enter in the middle of the long wall. Lying on the floor to your left is a man with a javelin through his stomach.

There is a door to your right and in front of it a hobgoblin. He seems ready to kick in the door but turns when he hears you enter the shop. He has a large mace and several bottles and vials about his person.

Initiative:

Bazsil: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Faolan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Bor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Krowe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Hobgoblin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Initiative Tracker
Bor
Faolan
Hobgoblin
Krowe
Bazsil

Bor may act first.

Hobgoblin:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 18 (2d8+6)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2; +2 bonus vs. poison
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee heavy mace +2 (1d8+1)
Ranged bomb +5 (1d6+2 fire) or
dagger +4 (1d4+1/19–20)
HP: 18/18


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 1, Initiative: 20

Status:
HP: 13/13 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row
Opponent: hobgoblin
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +1, Str +4 Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +1, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 0/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

MvA: move to close next to Bor (assuming he moves up)
StA: Shield Bash

Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 2 = 15 (flank?) damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Faolan likely follows Bor on the attack, closing with the vial-wielding hobgoblin in an advantageous position and attacking!

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor looks down once again at the man with a javelin through his stomach. A knot forms in his own. He had talked and ate with the people of this town on several occasions. They did not deserve this. This chaos. This madness. This death.

Bor's eyes rise back to the hobgoblin and he charges, slamming his hand tight over the hobgoblin's face. "Look beyond your mortal sight."

Vision of Madness Melee Touch Attack; charge: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 2 = 13

Vision of Madness- For 3 rounds the Hobgoblin gets +1 to all skill checks and -1 modifier to all attack and saving throw rolls.

The Hobgoblin's new vision allows it to see the evil it has crept upon the earth as the man lying on the floor slowly jerks back to it's feet, The spear stays stuck to the wood, though that doesn't seem to stop or really even slow down the rising man. The spear hooks on a couple of ribs and it pulls past, spilling his innards all over the floor as he remains gaping wide open to the world. The man reaches for the Hobgoblin.

Status:

HP 9/9
AC 18 (20 w/ shield of faith; 22 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used: (1st) Shield of Faith x3 ; Lesser Confusion
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 1/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

Bor and Faolan waste no time assaulting the hobgoblin. It's eyes widen as the javelined corpse begins to walk then cross a little as Faolan's shield hits it. It swings back at the necromancer Bor.

Attack@Bor: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 - 1 = 71d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

The creature misses completely.

Turn Tracker
Bor
Faolan
Hobgoblin
Krowe
Bazsil

Hobgoblin:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 18 (2d8+6)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2; +2 bonus vs. poison
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee heavy mace +2 (1d8+1)
Ranged bomb +5 (1d6+2 fire) or
dagger +4 (1d4+1/19–20)
HP: 9/18


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Round 1, Init 13

Move: Move closer to foe.
Stnd: Swing like a Calistrian after dark.

Baszil moves up to attack the alchemogoblin.

1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12 to hit; (flank)
1d10 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 slashing damage.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+4[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]1d10+6[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 9/9
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos.

Spells: 1/2 used
Lore: 4/11 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Round 1 - Initiative 16
MA: grab wand
SA: use wand

Magic Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

"Beware! I believe he is an alchemist!" Krowe warns his companions. He then flicks his wand, sending a magical missile at the enemy.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 2, Initiative: 20

Status:
HP: 13/13 | AC: 17 (f12/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 17
Fort +4, Reflex +4, Will +2
Front Row
Opponent: hobgoblin
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB +1, Str +4 Damage: +4 (+1 shield bash)
Ranged: Attack: BAB +1, Dex +2 Damage: +0
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 0/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

StA: Shield Bash
Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14 (flank) damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Faolan, if there’s anything left, does his best to finish him off. If he’s already down, he’ll stand guard, looking out for more hobgoblins.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Or miss wide, and stare at his shield in disbelief for a while...

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

With his hand still on the hobgoblin's face, Bor pushes hard, slamming it into the door.

Cold Iron Cestus; flanking: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 2 = 22
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Though the man continues to lie on the floor dead, as he should still be. In the hobgoblin's mind it shambles forth beside Bor, breathing death and decay on the side of the hob's greasy face. A loose tooth falls from the man's mouth, bouncing off the Hobgoblin's shoulder as it clatters onto the floor.

SA: Attack with Cestus

Status:

HP 9/9
AC 18 (20 w/ shield of faith; 22 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used: (1st) Shield of Faith x3 ; Lesser Confusion
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 1/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

The legionnaire reels from Bor's heavy fist, blood spattering the wall and door. Faolan and Bazsil miss as a magical dart from Krowe's wand impacts the hobs chest. Snarling in rage and defiance, he pulls a vial off his belt and slams it to the ground.

From what I can tell you'd all get attacks of opportunity but it wouldn't stop the bomb going off. If that's incorrect point me to the clarification and we'll retcon the damage.

Splash damage would be 3, Reflex Save DC 13 for half.

With that the soldier dies in his own fire, spitting curses and blood at you. Everything is briefly silent after the deafening explosion, the sounds of a town being destroyed muted.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 Reflex vs. DC13

Bazsil burns, failing to avoid the blast. He clenches his teeth , trying not to scream and add to the noise with a scream of pain.

He takes a few deep breaths before speaking in a low voice.

"This one deserves a second death," Bazsil uses his long-bladed sword to lop off the hobgoblin's head. "Okay...let's see what we can find here."

Bazsil looks at Bor wondering if there is healing in the offing or if he should just bear it...which he is willing to do. He begins to search for provisions.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Reflex DC 13: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Bor shields his face with his arm as the flames leap up from the ground.

Looking down he watches as the Hobgoblin immolated itself rather than surrender and live.

"Some can't handle seeing the other side."

Seeing everyone wounded Bor grabs his hidden amulet as he thinks back to his happy place. Time flows and skips to the point he is unsure what is reality. He finally lands on a simple one where the Hobgoblin is still dead and their wounds are far less than what they were.

CPE: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Status:

HP 9/9
AC 18 (20 w/ shield of faith; 22 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used: (1st) Shield of Faith x3 ; Lesser Confusion
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 1/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

Between the hobgoblin and the shelves that aren't completely empty you find the following.

potion of cure light wounds (2)
potion of invisibility
alchemist’s fire (3)
antitoxin
healer’s kit
oil (5)
smokestick (2)
tanglefoot bag (2)
thunderstone (2)
vials of antiplague (3)
bottles of bloodblock (5)
bottle of fire ward gel
flasks of defoliant (2)
well-used marble mortar and pestle
leather armor
daggers (3)
heavy mace
hooded lantern
Provision Points (3)
16 gp

You are able to identify the body as Vane Oreld. The door by which the hobgoblin died is still closed.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 vs DC 13 for half of 3.

He manages to avoid the worst of it, and Bor's healing covers the rest. "Thanks Bor, that's pretty handy!"

He then looks around the place, gathering up what he can and distributing it before moving to the door.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

He knocks and calls out, "Hey there, we're villagers headed to the forest for safety. Please join us, and save yourselves!"

If he hears nothing back, he'll try to knock down the door figuring it'll lead to some juicier spoils.

strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Sadly, if it comes to that, he doesn't get much traction on the door. "Hey, where's that crowbar?"

He tries again, this time with leverage.
strength: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 2 = 17 (crowbar)

sigh...

"Say, does he have a key on him?" He'll check the deceased for keys if the brute force method fails.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe checks Vane Oreld’s corpse for life, and loose change. Overseeing the survivor’s growing inventory he takes a few things that might be useful to have on hand.

Claiming:
potion of cure light wounds
potion of invisibility
alchemist’s fire
smokestick

Noting Faolan’s challenge at the door he looks for Bazsil. ”Hey Baz, think you can help him with that door?”

Shadow Lodge

Krowe finds no loose change but there is a key on him.

Faolan hears nothing from the other side of the door and there is no response. Before Bor can move to assist the second kick shatters the door.

The door is closed but wasn't locked. It also opens towards you, the hobgoblin was just in a kicking mood.

Moving through the door Faolan finds himself confronted by a set of pipes leading into a wooden box on the wall. A simple string was tied between the door handle and a lever on the box.

This room reveals a workshop and clinic with work benches and a bed. There are two doors in the opposite wall and a well worn rug on the floor.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 37/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

*Crash!*

"Nevermind Baz." Krowe adds after Faolan gets it open. Moving to the entrance, he looks at the string, following it to the pipes, then the box. "Good thing you kicked it in. Looks rigged to blow if pulled open."

Figuring whoever rigged it must still be inside somewhere, he calls out.

"Hello! The hogboblin out here is dead. My name is Oberon Krowe. I'm with Aubrin the Green and some other townsfolk. We've come to rescue you!"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil neverminds, though he was about to go help.

He continues to gather and pack provisions while he waits to hear any response to Krowe's call.

If others go in, Bazsil will be ready to follow.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Perception

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor eyes the pips and string. "Nice trap. That means someone is still in here somewhere."

Bor grabs the rug and pulls it away before eyeing the numerous workbenches.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

151 to 200 of 3,453 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.