Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


651 to 700 of 3,294 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"That's quite some eagle." he grins.

Faolan looks at the bulk of the centaur, "I'm not sure we need to burn or bury it. He's a creature of the forest right?" He shrugs willing to help if Bazsil insists on something.

When the group is ready to continue, he walks along. Cave or camp he's made his position clear and goes with the group. He'll not flog a dead, uh, centaur.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1
Faolan Baran wrote:
"That's quite some eagle." he grins.

”Yes, he is..” Krowe looks at “his” eagle. It stares back, it’s red eyes hostile. The bird gives a startling CAWWW! and flies off, turning to ash as it returns to its hellish home.

Turning to the centaur, Krowe says, ”He’s not a threat any more. We can return to camp and check the cave tomorrow.”


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9
Oberon Krowe wrote:
”He’s not a threat any more. We can return to camp and check the cave tomorrow.”

"Wait!" Bazsil pauses the party, looking at the dead centaur.

"Do you think...uhm...do you think..." Bazsil runs his blade across the part of the centaur where man meets horse. It seems to indicate that he could separate horseflesh from manflesh pretty quickly with his long-bladed sword. "Do...we...uhm...want to bring back some horse meat? I mean, it's not ideal, but it is fresh. And we don't know how our hunters are faring."

Bazsil wonders if his idea is a good one or a genius one.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor agrees. "We can probably check out the cave tomorrow." Turning he watches as Bazsil begins to saw away at the centaur. Bile grows in his throat. "Not that hungry yet." He turns to not have to watch the gruesome ordeal.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

To be clear, Bazsil has not harvested any meat, only indicated the option.

Shadow Lodge

And now I'm a vegetarian.

You pack up the messengers belongs, and possibly a haunch or two, before heading back to camp. Weary after several days of travel you find even the fetid marsh a welcome site.

Less welcome are the obvious signs of habitation that Bor points out with his woodcraft. The berry bushes are stripped, few animals remain in this section of forest and there are trails being worn in the soft earth.

Several of the camp administrators greet you as you arrive, Aubrin among the first. She looks better than she did a few days ago, but still suffers from the horrible wound taken during the invasion.

"Returned I see. A little worse for wear but not dead at least. How'd it go?"

You see her eyes searching your back trail and making note that your party numbers no more than it did before.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

He looks at Bazsil, and considers, "No, I think that would be nasty, but if you want to feel free. Just don't mix with the meat we might have back at camp, OK?"

Faolan trudges back to camp, feeling much more tired than he did when he left.

He shakes his head, "Sorry Aubrin, the hobgoblins had already been there before we arrived. Further, we encountered some sort of undead thing in a forest cabin which severely weakened Bazsil and I, leaving us much the worse for wear."

Breaking out the smoked meat, he adds, "We were able to obtain some more provisions, so there's that." he helps unpack and shift the supplies to ready hands to store.

"There's something more too. The hobgoblins are bribing the creatures of the forest to fight on their side. We met a centaur who had already been corrupted. Tomorrow we head back out to see if we can deal with it before it becomes widespread - at least locally."

"How have things been here in our absence? Anything vexing to report?"


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1
Bazsil Grimalkin wrote:
"Do you think...uhm...do you think..." Bazsil runs his blade across the part of the centaur where man meets horse.

”No.”

And that’s about all he has to say about that.

***

Krowe observes the signs of habitation on the way into camp with concern. Either his foresting skills have improved remarkably in the last 24 hours or the camp is making a dangerous mark in the territory.

After Faolan has given his update, Krowe adds some advice of his own.

”We may need to alter the routine here a little. Our presence here is becoming obvious in the surrounding area due to the passage of hunters and foragers. We may need to set certain routes in and out of the camp and disguise them somehow.”


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil doesn't take any of the horse meat, but realizes that he may regret that decision in the future if things get tough. Food is food and sometimes you gotta survive. He wonders just how soon before the party feels differently.

"Yeah, Aubrin, I ain't right," Bazsil says to put more weight to Faolan's words. "That creature seemed to suck half my soul out." Bazsil will submit to inspection and hopes she can help.

He looks around the camp, pleased that it hasn't been overrun yet. He doesn't mind that it looks more lived in as that shows that people are getting comfortable and recovering from the attack.

Shadow Lodge

Aubrin looks Bazsil and Faolan over.

"Well, it's not good. Should pass in a day if your constitution is good, but it might be nasty. I can't fix it, not with the prayers I know."

DC 14 Fort Save to recover the lost level.

***

Jet approaches while you're settling supplies.

"We've got another problem, some of our people are sick. Not sure what yet but we'll need to figure out what caused it so we don't catch anything. This swamp isn't helping."

Rhyna voices agreement, "I'm treating them now but we don't want this to go past those two if we can help it."

***

Aubrin responds to Krowe. "That's not a bad plan, you should spend a day teaching them how to do that."

***

You've all accomplished a lot in your first foray from camp, please level yourselves to 3.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5
Jet wrote:

"We've got another problem, some of our people are sick. Not sure what yet but we'll need to figure out what caused it so we don't catch anything. This swamp isn't helping."

Rhyna voices agreement, "I'm treating them now but we don't want this to go past those two if we can help it."

Bor looks the man in the eyes. His face still hidden by the patched scarf. He claps the man on the arm. "You did good. Let me see what I can do to help."

Bor follows Jet to the sick people. Kneeling down he comforts them. "It will be alright, probably just something we all ate." Though he didn't necessarily believe that as it seemed quite isolated.

Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Before bed Bor gathers into the center of their small village and does what he can to relieve everyone's soreness and stress.

CPE: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8
CPE: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Will have Bazsil leveled up later today.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Fort

Bazsil feels no better in the morning, but somewhat better in other ways. Meh. He even stands for Bor’s radiant bursts, but it doesn’t help much.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan too, tries to resist the weakness as he sleeps, tossing and turning under sweaty blankets.
Fort: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 5 - 1 = 12 (level drain) vs DC 14

He looks at Bazsil in the morning, "You look how I feel. Will this never end?"

He pushes through and helps around camp a little that morning as the group prepares to head out to the cave. He tries to put a good face on things, but he's disturbed by the lasting damage to his otherwise hale body. He's never felt like this before, and it troubles him.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan does a few push ups and sit ups to try and clear his head and get the circulation going. To his incredible surprise... it works! He feels much better after his morning routine than he expected to. He rushes up to Krowe and thanks him for his aid. "So helpful, I think it's done the trick. Now we just have to help Bazsil. Let me know if I can do anything useful!"

With a lightness in his step he thought he'd lost, he heads to the front of the group as they march to the caves.

Shadow Lodge

Let me know if the plan is to head directly to the cave or spend a day concealing the camp again, I've seen both advanced.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"We should show the group how to conceal the camp while we head towards the cave. We can't leave either idle for too long. Either we will be found or the Centaurs will find the body we left behind." He says, stretching as he adjusts the straps on his armor. "Either way we're f$#!ed."


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"Well we had been having Lirosa and Taidel scout around. Perhaps for the next couple days they should hide the camp instead while a couple of the commoners scout around a little. They won't find much I suspect, and it'll mean slightly less food found, but we have a reserve so we should be OK."

"Then lets head to the cave. I agree, we can't let it go too long."


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil grouses himself up and around in the morning, still not feeling quite right, but knowing that he can't quit or stop now. Because there are things to do, Bazsil gets up to wash and ready himself to go.

"Let's get to the cave," Bazsil agrees, echoing Faolan. "C'mon Bor. Don't despair. We're going to get to the cave and it's gunna be full of booze and food, Bor. I tell yeah. We're going to have some good luck today." Bazsil relates with more hope than he feels.

Bazsil will spend a bit of time amongst the hunters and gatherers and shepherds, seeing how things are going and trying to lift some spirits.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 11 - 1 = 18 Diplomacy - gather info
1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 11 - 1 = 14 Diplomacy - keep morale up


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Though he isn’t certain, Krowe wonders if Aubrin’s reply was meant to sting as much as it did. Her words sharply remind him of his own lack of woodsman skills, and the hypocrisy of demanding of others what he himself will not, or can not, do. That evening he seeks out Lirosa, Taidel, and Zeke. Having displayed some skill in surviving in the wilds he throws himself into learning as much as he can from them, his keen mind picking up the knowledge quickly.

In the morning Krowe tends to Bazsil and Faolan’s injured spirits. Sitting in a meditative posture he repeats his protection spell every minute, bolstering their strength of will. He is relieved when Faolan eventually shrugs off the pall hanging over him, but it feels a small victory when it becomes clear that Bazsil still suffers.

”We will find help for you.” He says to the merc. ”I promise, we will restore you somehow.”

Though tired from the effort, Krowe refuses to rest, and begs off leaving the camp so soon after returning. ”Time was of the essence in reaching the loggers before the Legion and dealing with that centaur. The camp has needs now that we should tend to. At least for today. Aubrin mentioned that a few of the refugees are sick. I have some antiplague in my haversack that may help. I would also like to go with Lirosa and Taidel to look at the trails around camp and see if we can do something about covering our presence here.”

4 vials of antiplague in our inventory for the sick. Also, Krowe is learning the survival skill and I’d like to try and use it around camp.

Survival to cover tracks: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Shadow Lodge

Sounds like Krowe is going to work around camp for a day rather than rush to the cave. One alternative I can propose is the other 3 grab the centaur body and hide it, but if you want to press on let me know.

Krowe:

You spend the day helping in the forest and covering tracks made during the foraging. You see the techniques the people are using and recommend a few changes to conceal their presence. In their initial rush they stripped the bushes and hunted everything they could, damage you can't undo, but you are able to help them mitigate future problems. You can't help but think this hide has become less defensible and it may be time to find new lodgings.

You also encounter something far more disturbing. Hidden on several trees you find slashes, deliberately cut in what appears to be a sign. You don't know exactly what they are but find five of them on trees along an extremely obvious trail from the camp into the forest.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Frustrated they're not going forth, but not wanting to cross Krowe who so recently helped him heal, Faolan does what he can to aid the camp in hiding itself further. He does the heavy lifting when moving boulders in the way of trials, digging up small trees and shrubs to transplant them, that sort of thing.

In short, he spends the day doing what he can to secure the camp from prying eyes.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil seems happy when Krowe the party decides to stay in and work for the day rather than get to the cave. It wasn't what was discussed, but he's not displeased by the result.

Bazsil, the esteemed and whimsical being he is, will take the day to scribe some freakin' scrolls, because that's what Bazsil's can do when they put their mind to it. He's tired and drained, but figures he can put in a few hours into something productive.

Bazsil will use party stores to find money and ingredients to scribe one scroll. 3*CLW, 1*Identify. 4*(12.5*1*1)=50 gp. Faolan, take this out of party loot, eh?

As that only should take a few hours, Bazsil will spend the rest of the day gathering info and learning about the others in the group and trying to keep the mood positive and morale up.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 11 - 1 = 30 Diplomacy (gather info)
1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 11 - 1 = 13 Diplomacy (morale)

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor skids to a halt and drops his bags. "S%$~." He looks around. They had been gone for days. the people looked worried beyond belief with them gone. "Suppose we can stay a day and help out."

Grabbing some branches he helps show some of the folks how to cover their tracks. Grabbing two to three of the younger men he shows them how to look for tracks along the dirt and cover them.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

"Try to conceal your path. Don't use the same way in or out two days in a row. try to use a different trail each time. Confuse the enemy."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

As the sun sets Krowe gathers Aubrin and the mercs at one of the main trailheads at the edge of camp.

”I think we have a problem.” He says in a low voice so as not to alarm the refugees. ”Come with me.” He heads down the trail, eventually leading the group to a tree. Hidden on it are slashes, deliberately cut in what appears to be a sign.

”I don't know exactly what these are but I found five of them on trees along this trail. I suppose it’s possible that one of our own made these to help find the way back to camp, and we should ask around, but despite our efforts today, I believe the camp is compromised and that we should move.”

Shadow Lodge

Bazsil asks about and learns that the group has been concerned. Nobody has spoken of the missing lumberjacks but you can see the fear and sadness in the eyes of some when they look your way.

You find that the herd is doing well but there is concern about their location and keeping them healthy. The upside of giant spiders is apparently a lack of giant bugs and some of the ranchers claim they've seen mosquitos big enough to haul off a sheep.

In the course of securing the camp Faolan finds what he believes to be the source of the sickness. One of the waterskins that you've been using to store created water has gone bad, the leather was not treated properly and as a result it has gone manky.

Krowe leads the group towards the trees, Aubrin limping behind.

"Go go, I'll catch up child, don't worry about me."

As you come to the markings Bazsil, Faolan, and Bor stare in shock when they recognize them from their past. Divided though they are by miles and scars, each knows Molthuni trail sign when they see it.

You don't know the meaning of the individual mark but seeing it here can mean only one thing. Aubrin spits.

"Spy."

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Back at the camp Bor sniffs the waterskin and feels the slug within. "Gather them all up I have some work to do." Bor had traveled on his own for several years now. He was taught how to live off the land a small bit. He hated to do it but he asks Sivanah for a tiny bit of aid.

It obliges. He calls the god it for a single purpose. Each veil shows a different layer. He saw the truth of what it was. Or at least what he perceived it as. And it scared him.

The water shakes as the bad clumps filter out of the skins and he shows the group how to take better care of their food and water in the meantime.

Cast Purify Food and Water.

*****

Heading to the markings with Aubrin Bor gasps and instantly grows angry. "You think there is a spy within the camp? Why wouldn't they have given away the position?"


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”A spy? How delightful! I know how we can sniff them out. It will be fun...”

Krowe rubs his eyes. It had been a long day, and this revelation was going to add to it.

”It had occurred to me that this may be the work of a spy, but I was really hoping I was just being paranoid.” He studies the marking. ”I’m not familiar with this. I assume it’s common for the Legion to use Molthuni trail signs? Or does this somehow give us a clue to the identify of our traitor?”

This might be a GM question really. The Ironfang Legion was once a mercenary unit in the employ of Molthune, and I’m guessing they picked up such things from that period of their history?

Shadow Lodge

Oberon Krowe wrote:
This might be a GM question really. The Ironfang Legion was once a mercenary unit in the employ of Molthune, and I’m guessing they picked up such things from that period of their history?

That is a reasonable assumption, any of the others can confirm you are correct.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil looks increasingly angry at the revelation, trying to put into place how one of the survivors might actually be working for the hobgobs. If Krowe and Aubrin are sure, then he is sure as well.

"Ah piddlepsot. Of all the goblinborn stupidity we have to deal with, we have to deal with this!? Gah. Should we move to the cave tomorrow? Or tomorrow? Maybe double the watches? How much longer are we likely to be safe here? Or maybe we can set a trap for them, now that the trail leads right here....?" Bazsil's anger gets his mouth and mind running.

He stomps around for a moment, not accustomed to such dire news.

"Give me time in the camp and I might be able to ferret out the spy. It will take time that I'm not sure we have the time."

Bazsil examines the mark again.

"Can we hide the marks for now? Or change them to another location?" Bazsil looks at Aubrin and Krowe.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"Yeah," Faolan begins slowly, "I don't know from these marks. Could be we duplicate them elsewhere and lead them astray, but if we don't get it just right, we might lead them to us by mistake anyway."

"But I think it's safe to say this encampment is blown. We should pack up and move it to another location as soon as is feasible - once we weed out the spy of course."

He's angry, and it shows plainly on his face. But he doesn't know how to find spies in the middle of their group.

"Might be this cave is a place we can fall back on. I suggest we find a way to find the spy, deal with them, and then check out the cave."

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"We can't just go on a witchhunt. The people will panic and start blaming each other. S#+% will get ugly. This-" He points to all in the group including Aubrin. "-needs to stay between us. What we need to do is break the camp down into smaller groups. Each of us tell something different. A made of location or story of where and how we are moving. We will see what gets out to the Hobgoblins. That will narrow it down to a small select few." Bor suggests. "Then we watch those locations for markings similar to this."

Shadow Lodge

Aubrin follows along.

"I don't know enough to change or recreate them, and if we hide them the spy might just do a runner. I your plan Bor but I worry that people will just talk and catch on to something being wrong. You still haven't told them about the logging camp and it's got them worried."


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil tries to make sense of Bor's suggestion, not quite following it completely.

"Bor, what? Explain more? Maybe...uhm...huh? Where do you want to send people?" Bazsil seeks confirmation.

"Maybe we move everyone to the logging camp for the time being? That'll buy us a few days and we can spread along with the group as we travel, seeing if we can find the culprit as we go?" Bazsil suggests.

"I'd like to explore the cave, but also this is worrisome."


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"Yeah, I'm not sure about that Bor - Aubrin is right. Folks'll just talk among themselves and realize somethings weird. It's a creative solution, but I don't think it'll work. We could question everyone individually and quickly. I'm a pretty good judge of character. It may be we get lucky and suss the spy out ourselves."

He shakes his head, "I know it's not the best idea, and it will certainly cause some grief within the camp, but the alternative is giving up our position and being slaughtered in our sleep. I think it's worth the risk to people's feelings."

He looks at Bazsil, "The logging camp is a good idea, but I think we should keep it to ourselves until we're sure the camp is clean. I don't want someone slipping away in the night as we're marching and telling the hobgoblins everything."

Faolan frowns, not at all happy with these new discoveries.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”I agree with Faolan.” Krowe says. ”Running some kind of shell game with the refugees in hopes the spy will give themselves away seems too risky. We need to find them now. I also don’t want to lie to the camp. They deserve to know what’s going on, and they might be able to help.”

”When we get back I think we should inform the refugees that we will hold a meeting at sunset to announce a new and better site for the camp. With such information forthcoming the spy will surely attend, and I have an idea that might force them to reveal themselves. But first, we need to cut down this tree.”

Krowe goes on to explain his plan...

Secret plan:

1. Cut down the tree with the Molthune trail sign and bring back a small section with just the sign cut into it.
2. Call a meeting to announce moving the camp to a more secure site
3. Once all members of the camp are accounted for, reveal the tree section and announce that a spy is among the camp.
4. Krowe summons a pack of fiendish dogs (calling them hellhounds) and sets them to tear up the tree section.
5. Announce that the hounds, once finished with the log, will seek out the scent of the one who marked it and do the same to them.
6. Promise the spy their life in exchange for surrendering.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil listens to Krowe's plan, nodding along. He's mostly sure no one in the party is the spy, and actually considers them to be easy allies.

"I can help with this. I believe I can motivate the group to move. And even with your secret plan, Krowe. We can do this."

Bazsil looks to see if others agree.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor nods along. "That could work. We just need to make sure that the camp doesn't turn in on itself. This is a dangerous game." He is willing to give it a try. "Anyone have a spare axe?"


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

We have a few axes in party treasure and it seems Faolan carries a handaxe, so I’ll assume cutting down the tree shouldn’t pose too much of a problem?

”Ok, lets head back to camp. Aubrin, if you could help gather the refugees, I think they could benefit from a few supportive words from Bazsil before I make my play to reveal the spy. Faolan and Bor, I think you two should take up positions near the back of the crowd, covering any possible escape routes.”

Back at camp, Krowe spreads the word of the camp meeting and impending move. He keeps the Mothune-marked piece of wood in his magical haversack for the time being and as the refugees gather he takes some time to make a head count as Aubrin settles the crowd and Bazsil sets the scene.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan nods, "A little subterfuge, but the plan is fairly direct and quick - which is important."

He takes out his hand axe and works that section of tree free.

When the speeches begin, Faolan tries to linger in the back so he can watch people, try and get a sense of their general discomfort.

I mean, he expects everyone to be uncomfortable by what they're going to say and do. But does anyone stand out? Particularly calm or upset? He's looking for the unusual in the crowd.

Sense Motive (take-10 as it's lots of possible targets): 10 + 8 = 18

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor hangs out on the opposite corner of Faolan in the rear. He rests on his shield scanning the crowd.

Which one of these mouthbreathers were dumb enough to side with the goblins.

His hand shakes as the rune on his neck pulses with a twinge of pain. The tiniest trickles of blood oozes from the sore. Placing his hand on it the veil opens up to him once again.

The sky is a deep shade of crimson as if it carries the blood of the world in it's color. Bor's eyes scan the crowd as he sees all of the evil in their hearts. Some only show minor decay in their skin and are good hearted, while others show their true colors and murderous intent. Skeletal forms lumber about, unbeknownst to his arrival as he is merely an observer this time.

Use Vision of Madness on myself. -1 to attack and saves, +1 to skills for 3 rounds.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 5 + 1 = 17


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil calls for a meeting that very night, possibly around a campfire or the smoldering remains of Bor’s sanity, and will help Aubrin bring everyone to attendance. When others are ready, he will address the group not unlike one might approach a pep rally, seeking to inspire and invigorate everyone to the cause of fighting the hobgob threat and taking back the town.

With his voice deep and resonating, he will speak thusly:

”Friends, hunters, gatherers,” Bazsil rumbles. ”We have been through a lot in the past few days, but we have hung together, *banded* together, worked together...and for that we should be proud. We are getting our feet as begin to resist the hobgoblin threat. And this is good. We. Will. Win.”

Bazsil continues to orate and inspire for a few more minutes.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 11 - 1 = 15 Diplomacy

”I’m also pleased to say that we have secured a second campsite. We will be moving there shortly. The logging camp will provide us better security for the trials ahead. We have one thing to do before we make those moving plans...and I’ll let Krowe explain. He’s a good man and has already saved my life more than once. Listen well to him.”

Bazsil offers the talking stick to Krowe.

While Krowe speaks, Bazsil will sing and intone helpfully, trying to gauge who might be unreceptive to the message...as they might be the spy.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 11 - 1 = 18 Sense Motive

Shadow Lodge

You make swift work of the tree and haul it back to camp. Everybody gathers after the evening meal and listens as Bazsil outlines the new plan. Most of them are stoic but a few look confused and a couple of them are nervous.

Dice:

1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 9

Sense Motive 24:

Edran and Zeke both seem nervous.

Sense Motive 9:

Zeke seems nervous.

Will wait for the rest until Krowe's performance, based on the plan above.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Not possible to make the DC 24 so I’ll just roll vs the DC 9
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8 So close.

Krowe watches the gathered crowd as Bazsil gives his speech, gauging reactions from them. He doesn’t expect much to happen before his part in the meeting, and doesn’t notice anything amiss. As Bazsil’s speech comes to an end Krowe slips a vial from his pocket and drinks the contents, divining a small amount of guidance from the potion within.

”Thank you Baz.” He nods to the half-elf and steps forward, finding a spot close to the campfire where the light paints him ominously from below.

”We stand here today as refugees in a land stolen from us by the Ironfang Legion. We know that they hunt us still in among the trails of the Fangwood. And we know that someone has left signs to help them find us.” Krowe pulls the piece of marked wood from his haversack and holds it high for all to see. ”This bears a Molthuni trail sign. Scouts from the Ironfang Legion use them to communicate. It was found too close to camp to have been left by an outsider.” Krowe circles the fire, letting all get a good look at the sign. ”There is a spy among us, and the longer we stay in one place, the closer the Legion comes to finding us. We must move on.”

Krowe slams the wood to the ground and steps back to the edge of the light.

”But we will not remain hunted. We will become like wolves of the forest, and as a pack we will roam the Fangwood, sheltering in the wild and biting at the heels of our enemy when they show their back.” Krowe raises a hand and utters a word in a harsh incantation.

”Tarrat!”

In a flash of sparks a black wolf leaps from the fire, landing beside the Molthuni marked wood. Perhaps it is a trick of the firelight, but its eyes shine red. Krowe points and the wolf pounces on the wood, tearing at it with savage bites.

”Fear not!” Krowe cries to the refugees. ”I control the wolf, and I can call it off, but the wolf knows its own, and only the traitor who made this mark will have left their scent upon it, and only they stand in danger of its fangs. Once the wolf is finished with the wood it will find the spy, and tear them apart. Step forward Spy! Surrender now, and your life will be spared.”

Intimidate + Guidance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 +1 if Krowe’s unbreakable survivor trait bonus applies

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor's eyes catches Zeke's nervous behavior. Looking over to Faolan he points him out subtly from behind, where noone would notice as they are too busy watching Krowe's spectacle.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Bor makes a good point, are those DCs vs the rolls we already made, or fresh rolls? I'll assume the former, but if the latter, here are a couple rolls. EDIT: OK, works out the same...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 vs DC 24
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 vs DC 9

Faolan catches Bor's look and realizes they didn't plan what to do if they found someone. Should they capture him? Let him think he's safe for the moment? What? He nods to Bor and shifts his position carefully to be between Zeke and the nearest exit.

He shoulders his shield so as to be ready for combat as he continues to scan the crowd.

Perception (taking 10): 10 + 8 = 18
Sense Motive (taking 10): 10 + 8 = 18

Shadow Lodge

Those saves were against the rolls already made Faolan, to account for Krowe not rolling yet. There will be only one roll required for the next part, so you may reroll or keep your first roll.

The crowd reacts with surprise and horror at the reveal of the tree stump, them fear as the wolf is summoned.

Bor and Faolan:

Zeke is reacting the same as the others now that the stump and wolf are in play.

Dice:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

New Sense Motive, DC 23:

Edran is sweating profusly and wiping his hands on his pants.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil rumbles his agreement with Krowe's words and actions, trying to push those who have an agenda into revealing it more openly.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 1 = 28 Sense Motive

Bazsil shoos Faolan over to where Edran is...even as Bazsil moves closer.

"Edran. Why? WHY!?" Bazsil asks, hurt in his eyes. He recalls being nice to the man from the start.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

I'll keep my failed roll.

Rather than get more upset, he gets less. Hrm. We should keep an eye on Zeke, but maybe he's just twitchy. Faolan's thoughts are interrupted by Bazsil's signal. He looks back at him, Who? he asks with his eyes though he moves in that general direction when Bazsil gestures.

When Bazsil confronts him, Faolan tries to get behind Edran - or at least block his path to an exit, whatever he can manage quickly.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor just keeps an eye on Zeke as frankly even if the man ran, he wouldn't know where they are going. He just continues to watch him for anything suspicious and moves into a position to cut him off in case he makes a break for it.

He seemed worried at first, it could have been nothing though.

Shadow Lodge

Edran looks startled at Bazsil's accusation, then quickly jumps up from his seat and bolts towards the exit, attempting to dodge Faolan.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

He almost manages to escape but a swift application of shield-to-face prevents his flight. He begins to sob as the group closes on him.

"W..w..wh...what are you t.t.t.t.tttalking about?"

651 to 700 of 3,294 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.