# 9-16: Fallen Family, Broken Name, with GM Pendrak (Inactive)

Game Master Z...D...

A series of five quests designed for levels 1–5.


301 to 349 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

The tatzylwyrm hisses at his fellow reptillian as Hskoro approaches, or does the best he can with Giovanni in his mouth. However, the tatzylwyrm doesn't get an opportunity to make good on his threat, as Everbloom's forceful flower blast pummels the creature into unconsciousness, gracefully doing no harm to the rogue.

Searching the creature’s nest reveals a mace made entirely of cold iron with a pentagram inscribed on the head and tarnished silver wire loosely wrapped around the hilt, revealing an inscription in Infernal along the handle. It would seem that this mace is the mace you seek, and that the inscription contains another portion of the fury's true name.

Close inspection of the table uncovers a hidden compartment containing a journal written in Common, a wand, and a scroll.

Wand, detect magic and Spellcraft DC 18:

This is a wand of pass without trace (CL 3rd, 10 charges).

Scroll, detect magic and Spellcraft DC 18:

This is a scroll of fog cloud (CL 3rd).

The journal belonged to a hobgoblin commander called Malgrin. The journal details Malgrin’s strategies and victories. It describes his use of the foothills to lose pursuit and how he employed the druid medics under his service to conceal their tracks and modify the terrain for better camouflage.

The hobgoblin journal represents an insight into the opposition during the Goblinblood Wars. The journal details not only battles, but also Malgrin’s thoughts on the war’s direction and his concerns about new forces entering the field. He outlines new tactics to counter the new arrivals.

The table seems to have been used for maps and planning, allowing the unit to observe from the spiral.

Knowledge (history or local) DC 15:

You realize the unique historical significance of Malgrin’s tactical knowledge, and strongly believe that the journal may be of value to the Pathfnder Society.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni falls from the clutches of the dragon creature trying to catch his breath. That was a close one. Thank you. Everbloom, that powerful attack finally landed, I figured it mostly for show.

kn local: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Giovanni dons his glasses and looks over the materials. These battle tactics and location notes are particularly interesting. Our venture captains will be pleased.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro looks down at the unconscious dragon creature, viewing the thing as a future threat, he raises his battle axe and chops the thing's head off.

He then follows Giovanni down to explore the nest, picking up the mace. "Nice mace."

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

"Figured it mostly for show?" Everbloom lets out a yipping laugh. "Watch yourself, rogue, or I'll devour you myself." She snaps her teeth at Giovanni, then saunters over to look at the loot. Unfortunately, she has no idea what most of it does.

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Oi, that was it? Ack no fun mi dwarf legs couldn’t get me to the action in time...
Tholand keeps an eye out while the scholars look over the goods.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

The return to Umok is uneventful. When the group arrives back at the Badgers's Den to get some rest, they are greeted by Trigi Neppo.

"A letter for you guys arrived while you were on your quest! This was attached: a scroll of heroism. Somebody must like you! The messenger said it was urgent. Told me to tell you that someone else hunts the prize you're after."

See Slides for the letter.

With their next mission in hand, the group readies themselves for the final section of their adventure here in Isger. Trigi is able to identify the scroll and wand they found in the tatzylwyrm's lair, and she provides them with cheerful company that evening at the inn. Bearjaw joins the festivities, and is interested in hearing all about the old hobgoblin hideout.

The next day, the group sets out for the Chitterwood.

Again, let me know if you want to make any purchases before the final quest commences.

After days of travel on overgrown trails and hard sleeping in the wilds of the Chitterwood, a half-collapsed wall emerges from the trees winding around a long forgotten encampment. The Hellknight outpost was breached long ago, and decades of growth have begun to reclaim the interior courtyard. A few walls still stand, and undergrowth covers the ground in a dense carpet. A single building in the southeastern end seems to be whole, its entrance blocked with a crude piece of wood.

Perception or Survival DC 14:

You notice that in the shadow of a broken wall hang several huge spider webs; scattered among them are a few sizable humanoid bones as well as broken gear and rotting packs. A few strange tracks are also visible among the bushes near the webs. The packs, upon investigation, contain about 125 gp in mixed currencies, all told.

Survival DC 12 (if you noticed the tracks with the previous check, or they are pointed out to you):

The tracks seems to have been made by an ettercap.

If for any reason anyone wants to do anything (cast spells, etc.) before moving into the fort, you may retcon doing so at this point.

GM Rolls:

Hskoro Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Tholand Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Smiley Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Everbloom Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Giovanni Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Mikhail Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Hskoro initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Tholand initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Smiley initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Everbloom initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Giovanni initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Mikhail initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Ettercap initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

The worm-eaten slab of wood falls aside easily to reveal a cluttered and rank-smelling hall. Rotten parchment scraps, worm-eaten carpets, and disintegrating furniture hint at a decaying Hellknight command center, a fact confirmed by the rusted remains of armor and ancient standards adorning the walls. A rusting iron statue of Asmodeus lies toppled to one side against a wall. Amongst the debris are the skeletal remains of five humanoid bodies. Two still wear rust-fused Hellknight armor, while three others are covered in molding, rotten leather. Surrounding these aged corpses are the remains of their goblinoid killers; it's clear that everyone was slain in a vicious fight.

However, the Pathfinders hear a faint chittering sound, just as the wooden slab is removed. This is enough warning to prevent them from being surprised when an ettercap reveals itself, ready to attack!

Summary:

Round One Giovanni (up), Hskoro (up), Tholand (up), Mikhail (up), Ettercap (not yet up), Everbloom (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Giovanni, Hskoro, Tholand, and Mikhail may act.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni will have prepared with a charge of Heightened Awareness

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Giovanni pokes around the webbing and leftover human bones. Prepare yourselves, dangerous territory about. These tracks here, ettercap. Spider-person they say.

kn arcana: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities, in that order

Givoanni will attempt to move around from behind and hit it with a glob of acid.

acid splash vs flatfoot: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
damage: 1d3 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + (6, 3) = 11

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Having the Ettercap pointed out by Giovanni, Hskoro approaches it, planting his feet down in front of it and hissing at it. He then swings his battle axe to draw first blood.

Battle Axe: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Move: 20'
Standard: Attack

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment
Giovanni Stellaluce wrote:

[=kn arcana]d20+2

resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities, in that order

Ettercaps are Aberrations, so it's actually....

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 SR/DR/AC? Saving throws? Languages? Special attacks? Skills?

Mikhail rushes up from behind Hskoro, giving the ettercap a bug-eyed glare to rival the creature's own as he chants an Infernal litany of fear, surprise, and doom.

Doom, DC 14!

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Ah, thanks. My Kn Dung modifier is +8 for a net 22 result.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Ettercaps (Giovanni and Mikhail and anyone else who can get at least DC 13 on Knowledge (dungeoneering):

Ettercaps are typically 6 feet tall and weigh about 200 pounds. They are solitary creatures and rarely group with others of their kind, even to mate. When they do group, they tend to attract a variety of different spiders, forming a strange collective of ettercaps and arachnids. Ettercaps are known for building cunning traps out of webs and other natural materials, using them to trap prey. They build shelters out of webbing, often high up in the trees away from other ground-based predators, and use monstrous spiders as lookouts and guardians.

Ettercaps are not brave creatures, but their traps often ensure that the enemy never draws a weapon. When an ettercap does engage its enemies, it attacks with its claws and venomous bite. It usually refuses to come within melee reach of any foe that is still able to move, and flees if an opponent gets free.

Giovanni:

Giovanni doesn't know of any resistances, immunities, or vulnerabilities of the ettercap, though he has heard tell that like some spiders they have a poisonous bite that gradually paralyzes their victims.

Ettercap poison—injury; save Fort DC 15; frequency 1/round for 10 rounds; effect 1d2 Dex; cure 2 consecutive saves.

Mikhail:

Ettercaps don't have SR or DR, but Mikhail knows they are pretty easy to hit since they don't wear armor and don't have much natural armor; he's pretty sure Hskoro could have hit the thing even if it wasn't flat-footed. He knows that the creature is pretty resilient in all areas, although its reflexes are slightly less quick, while its fortitude and willpower are about equal.

Rather than botting Tholand I'll just delay him to the others in initiative.

The ettercap hisses and clicks in fury and pain as he is hit right in the face by a blob of acid. Before he can do anything about it, Hskoro rushes forward and slashes him with an axe, and suddenly the tables are turned on the erstwhile ambusher. Nonetheless he seemed unfazed by Mikhail's magic, and simply stares back with his huge, black, beady eyes, before turning to tear into Hskoro with jaws and claws. Hskoro manages to avoid the creature's bite, but the ettercap rips into him with one of its claws. The creature steps over so its back is against the wall.

GM Rolls:

Ettercap, Will save vs. doom: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Ettercap, bite attack vs. Hskoro: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Ettercap, claw attack vs. Hskoro: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 161d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Ettercap, claw attack vs. Hskoro: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Summary:

Round One Giovanni (acid splash sneak attack), Hskoro (axe attack), Mikhail (cast doom), Ettercap (clawed Hskoro), Tholand (up), Everbloom (up), Smiley (up)

Round Two Giovanni (up), Hskoro (up), Mikhail (up), Ettercap (not yet up), Tholand (not yet up), Everbloom (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Ettercap- 15 damage

Hskoro takes 3 points of damage. Tholand, Everbloom, Smiley, Giovanni, Hskoro, and Mikhail may act.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Har! Lemme in there!

Smiley moves into position and strikes out with a vicious kick to the shins.

Unarmed Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Watch out for it's poisonous bite, friends! Giovanni waits for the ettercap to be distracted.

Will post later today for my action, hoping someone moves into a flanking position :)

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro gives a grin as he is hit, "Oh, you want to play rough I see." He steps around the Ettercap to get out of the way of anyone that wants to shoot at it and then swings his axe at it again.

Battle Axe: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Free: 5' step
Standard: Attack

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Seeing the opening he was hoping for, Giovanni walks up and stabs at the ettercap with his rapier.

rapier, flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 2 = 22
damage: 1d6 + 3 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + (1, 6) = 11

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom takes a step to the side and thrusts her arms forward, sending a barrage of pine needles at the ettercap.

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 1 = 7
Piercing Damage: 2d6 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (1, 5) + 5 + 1 = 12


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Smiley's shin-kick causes the ettercap to double over in pain, and Hskoro brings his blade down in a solid blow that nearly decapitates the creature, just as Giovanni moves in to stab the creature in the back simultaneously. The Pathfinders have made quick work of this aberration.

With a brief search of the room, the Pathfinders quickly turn up the remains of what must have been Dremlut Irrica.

Perception DC 16:

Someone also finds a sunken stone near the statue of Asmodeus which hides a stash of old Chelish coins worth 326 gp.

The Irrica family signet ring is still on her desiccated finger. It’s encrusted with dirt but still retains its magic.

Appraise, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), or Linguistics DC 14:

The wearer of this ring and everyone within 60 feet is protected from the erinyes that the Irrica family controlled, even without knowing the creature's true name. A brief moment spent examining the ring is sufficient to attune with it and activate its ability to protect the wearer and nearby creatures from the erinyes.

Once cleaned off, the gold ring reveals delicate Infernal text carved into the band, but the letters are hopelessly lost in the dense calligraphy. Only through many hours of study might somebody fluent in Infernal pick out and decipher the last piece of the name.

However, it is around this time that a woman's voice calls from the outside.

"Explorers! I am Pava Irrica and I believe you have been traveling across Isger, collecting my family heirlooms. However you've come by them, I am willing to forgive and forget as long as you turn them over to me peacefully. You can walk away, and I'll not get the authorities involved. Now, come out and sheathe your weapons."

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Giovanni spots an ill-situated stone and goes to take a look at it.Oh, neat. I founds some gold hidden over here.

linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Giovanni peers through his glasses to look over the text, which is usually his area of expertise, but is not well versed in Infernal and can't make anything additional out of it.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Appraise DC14: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Hskoro hisses and tightens his grip on his weapon and shield, his eyes revealing death awaits for Pava Irrica but remains silent otherwise.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Stand back, Pava. You will not be taking possession of these relics today or any other. You seek the devil's true name for your selfish pursuits and do not deserve your family's legacy. Giovanni stands firm, rapier in hand.

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Before they leave Tholand will clean up the statue of Asmodeus, and leave 5 gold as an offering. Can you take this off my chronicle please? Tholand doesn’t have anything fancy to clean the statue, he’d just tear some cloth from his gi and use that to wipe the dirt and some grime away.
Aye lass, Ye can threaten us all ye want, but we have orders to keep these from ye. So ye best be leavin’
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Tholand examines Pava’s body language to see any signs of lying.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom breaks out into a feral grin. "If you want it, come and claim it!"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Yar, quit yappin' yer flap and come and take them if ye want them so much.

Intimidate, Aid Another: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Smiley's intimidating glare is somewhat less effective due to his belt suddenly coming untied and his pants falling to the floor.

Hang on, I got this.

He reties the belt, but the moment has passed.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Pava steps up into view, accompanied by a pair of thugs.

"Very well, if you want to do this the hard way, I'm game," she says. But suddenly the situation changes.

A sharp bang announces the arrival of a black-winged figure in tight leather armor, wielding a longbow. She appears on top of a broken wall nearby, dark eyes darting around the courtyard at the assembled face-off. "Ah, I see the Irrica family line isn't entirely wiped out yet," she observes, "And facing off for a fight! You mortals make such tepid entertainment. But I am merciful. Give me the fragments you've collected and I'll let you live."

Pava scowls at the winged creature, "You serve the Irricas, devil. I know you cannot harm me. Now, you lot, quickly, give me the ring and I'll command it to spare you."

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom, not knowing the difference between haunts and the real thing, lets out a yipping laugh. "Not happening. I've defeated her once, I'll do it again."

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

I'm afraid not, Pava. We will be leaving. You can deal with this creature yourself. Giovanni looks at the rest of team hoping to take advantage of this interloper and make our escape.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Pava practically fumes with anger.

"Have it your way," she says, turning to her men, "Kill them."

The bandits reach for arrows from their quivers, and the erinyes lets out a derisive laugh. Pava takes up a martial arts stance and begins to stalk forward.

GM Rolls:

Hskoro initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Tholand initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Smiley initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Everbloom initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Giovanni initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Mikhail initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Pava initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Bandits initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Summary:

Round One Mikhail (up), Tholand (up), Hskoro (up), Pava (not yet up), Everbloom (not yet up), Giovanni (not yet up), Bandits (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Mikhail, Tholand, and Hskoro may act.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

From past information given and that Pava wants the ring so badly, Hskoro talks just loud enough for his companions to hear. "Someone put the ring on. Maybe that will allow you to control that black winged vixen."

Hskoro then moves up to use the wall directly in front of him as cover against the archers, waiting to either let them get closer or to provide defense if the group decides to withdrawal with their spoils.

Move: 15'
*No other action.

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment

NOW!:

Tholand Warmane wrote:
Before they leave Tholand will clean up the statue of Asmodeus, and leave 5 gold as an offering.

Mikhail also helps with this, and not to be outdone, leaves 7 gold pieces (one for each layer of Hell, sparing 1 for his Lord Geryon, and another because HERESY!)!

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

"A-HA!" Mikhail barks triumphantly as he seizes the ring and jams it on his (atypically slender, for a Dwarf) finger.

NOW!:

Mikhail flashes his ringed fist toward the erinyes. "Sensechal-slave of House Irrica, HARM us not, harm US not, harm us NOT, for I stand before thee with thy masters' talisman!"

He spins on his heel to face the prodigal nun. "Betcha didn't expect THAT, did you?!?" There is an unholy twinkle in his eyes, and others hear, perhaps not so much in their ears as in the pits of their hearts, the sounding of unearthly horns.

Judgment of Destruction gives me a +2 profane bonus to damage rolls until further notice!

Readied actio for when Pava comes within 30 feet, (which I think she's just outside of relative to me right now):
As Pava advances, a wicked, baroque spiked chain suddenly erupts from somewhere Below her feet!

barbed chain (to attack) vs PAVA: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
rounds of fear on hit and failed DC 14 Will save: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:
Mikhail Ximenez wrote:
He spins on his heel to face the prodigal nun. "Betcha didn't expect THAT, did you?!?"

When you said that, the first thing that popped in my head. "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" from Monty Python.

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment
Hskoro Tailfeather wrote:
When you said that, the first thing that popped in my head. "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" from Monty Python.

Myyy, you catch on quickly, don't you...?


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

I've enjoyed the references, though I too am surprised they were subtle enough to just now come onto someone's radar. Though I suppose not everyone was as obsessed with Monty Python as a teenager as I was (I remain a big fan today but man did I love Monty Python back in the day, lol).

Gonna bot Tholand.

Tholand moves forward cautiously to join Hskoro, and takes up a defensive stance in the Dragon Style.

Move 30', total defense, swift action to activate Dragon Style.

Pava gives a smug smile and begins to advance, moving towards Mikhail but watching her fellow martial artist, Tholand, out of the corner of her eye. From her stance as she approaches it becomes clear to both Tholand and Smiley, if not some of the others, that Pava is trained in hamatulatsu, an exotic but deadly fighting form inspired by the varying attacks of the barbed devil, intended to maim and scar rather than kill.

But as she closes the distance, suddenly a wicked, baroque, spiked chain erupts from somewhere below her feet! The chain whips about, and despite her dexterity it slashes Pava across the shoulder sending an arc of blood into the air. A brief flash of fear crosses her face. But despite being shaken, the Irrican scion grits her teeth, keeps pushing forward, and launches herself at Mikhail with a feral shout, the fingers on her hand bent like claws as she attempts to strike the inquisitor. Mikhail feels a piercing pain in his chest as she strikes him, and her hand comes back red with blood.

GM Rolls:

Pava, Will save vs. barbed chains: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Pava, unarmed strike vs. Mikhail: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 2 = 191d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Summary:

Round One Mikhail (moved and cast judgement), Tholand (double moved), Hskoro (moved), Pava (moved and missed), Everbloom (not yet up), Giovanni (not yet up), Bandits (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Pava- 6 damage; shaken for 2 rounds

Mikhail takes 8 points of damage. Everbloom and Giovanni may act.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

I can't let Mikhail fall. Giovanni spurs forward and lobs some acid as he approaches.

ranged touch, melee: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 5 - 4 = 7
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom moves forward, but can't get a clear shot on the bossy woman. Instead she grins and thrusts her hands out at the nearest thug, firing a barrage of razor sharp pine needles into his chest!

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 1 = 23
Magic Piercing Damage: 2d6 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 5 + 2 = 12

A moment later the tips of all her fur turns a greenish hue, but closer inspection reveals that she seems to be growing long pine needles from her flesh, in amongst her fur.

Using the extended range infusion at a cost of 1 burn which causes elemental overflow. She gets a +1 with all of her attack rolls and +2 extra damage with her blasts.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Giovanni's acid blob misses the mark, but Everbloom sends countless tiny needles sticking into the monk. Pava cries out in pain.

The thugs Pava brought with her nock and loose arrows, one each at Giovanni and Everbloom. Giovanni barely sidesteps to dodge, but an arrow hits Everbloom, just missing her throat.

GM Rolls:

Blue, longbow vs. Everbloom: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 201d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Red, longbow vs. Giovanni: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 171d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Summary:

Round One Mikhail (moved and cast judgement), Tholand (double moved), Hskoro (moved), Pava (moved and missed), Everbloom (hit), Giovanni (missed), Bandits (hit and miss), Smiley (up)

Round Two Mikhail (up), Tholand (up), Hskoro (up), Pava (not yet up), Everbloom (not yet up), Giovanni (not yet up), Bandits (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Pava- 18 damage; shaken for 2 rounds

Everbloom takes 7 points of damage. Smiley, Mikhail, Tholand, and Hskoro may act.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Go, go, runnershirt, GO!

Smiley moves faster than seems possible (Quick Runner's Shirt) up and tries to wrap up Pava in his arms, recalling how his brother Drego used to pin his arms back while Drego's twin Durgo yanked down Smiley breeches.

Martial Flexibility for Improved Grapple

Improved Grapple: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 = 18

Quick Runner's Shirt 0/1, MF 3/4

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Since the group seems to be ignoring the archers, Hskoro makes his way around some of the ruins and heads for the two archers.

Double Move: 40'


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

As Smiley tries to wrap up Pava her well-trained hands move swiftly to block each attempt of the dwarf's to grapple her.

Mikhail and Tholand may act.

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Tholand uses his dragon style to run through friendlies and runs forward with Hskoro to draw the ranges attack’s from his companions.
Oi, over ‘ere you blabberin pansies! When I get mi hands onbye I’ll snap that bow across ye arse!

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment
GM Pendrak wrote:
As Smiley tries to wrap up Pava her well-trained hands move swiftly to block each attempt of the dwarf's to grapple her.

So...like that, but with heights and alignments reversed?

"Bugger," Croaks Mikhail as he sees the nun pull her bloodied hand out of his torso. His wound begins to emit a subtle, unholy glow while the non-good vicar himself bounds off in pursuit of the better part of valor!

Swift action to shift to Judgment of Healing, then I pull a full withdrawal for this round.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom yanks the arrow out of her throat and tosses it to the ground. With a snarl she holds her hands out, ready to attack the enemy...

You still here Pendrak?


Knowledge Checks -Sky Key Solution Aid Token

GM:

Pava-18

This is going to be quicker than I expected. Pava was at the end of Moral limits and flees combat.

Pava, seeing that she is nearly defeated withdrawals.

Bold may Act
Everbloom
Giovanni

Bandits
Smiley
Mikhail
Tholand
Hskoro
Pava-18 damage

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom lets out a yipping laugh and stalks forward, sending a blast of razor sharp pine needles flying at the blue bandit.

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 1 + 1 = 17
Magic Piercing Damage: 2d6 + 5 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2) + 5 + 1 + 2 = 14

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni approaches and yells at the remaining bandits. He raises a finger and tries to put the fear of gods into them.

Your liege has retreated, the devils are after you. Retreat or die!

intimidate to demoralize red: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Knowledge Checks -Sky Key Solution Aid Token

Everbloom takes down one of the bandits in one shot.

While Giovanni scolds one into a panic.

The remaining bandit takes off. He is technically off the map

COMBAT OVER

Once the PCs resolve the standoff, they can follow the trail back to better-traveled roads for transport to Almas, where Venture-Captain Brackett awaits their report. Brackett’s primary concern is keeping control of the erinyes devil out of improper hands, so as long as the PCs managed to keep the items that contain the name fragments from Pava—whether by turning them over to Brackett or by giving them back to the erinyes—Brackett considers the mission a success. He thanks the PCs for their efforts and awards them 1,000 gp as promised.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni nods approvingly at Everbloom as they overcome the bandits. A fitting end to the mission and their friendly rivalry.

Wow. We were so close this whole time! Thanks again for taking us over the line.

Mission accomplished, Venture-Captain. We did our best to collect every piece. Giovanni stands proudly.


Knowledge Checks -Sky Key Solution Aid Token
Giovanni Stellaluce wrote:


Wow. We were so close this whole time! Thanks again for taking us over the line.

Yeah, I was surprised. I even double checked everything from the start of that encounter and her morale multiple times.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom gives Giovanni is sly grin, then turns with a swish of her tails to start picking over the unconscious enemies.

Back in Almas she takes great pride in handing over the powerful magical objects, knowing her mentors in the Dark Archives will be happy with her success.

Thanks so much! My chronicle looks great.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro watches the enemy flee but sees no reason to chase them down.

Returning back and handing over the magical objects, Hskoro feels bride in himself again for completing another quest and protecting his comrades.

Thanks for finishing the game for us GM Z..D.. and the chronicles.

301 to 349 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / # 9-16: Fallen Family, Broken Name, with GM Pendrak All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.