# 9-16: Fallen Family, Broken Name, with GM Pendrak (Inactive)

Game Master Z...D...

A series of five quests designed for levels 1–5.


251 to 300 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Althea looks sad for a moment upon hearing of the true cause of her death, but then she smiles at the Pathfinders and speaks, "Thank you for telling me. It is hard to swallow, but it can't take away the happy memories I have of my betrothed."

At this, the image slowly drains away upward, as if her spirit is traveling onward to other realms. With Althea laid to rest, the locket pops open easily. Inside, hidden behind the portrait, is what appears to be just a portion of the erinyes true name.

Delara says that she has a message for the Pathfinders that came while they were gone. She hands over a letter.

See the handout in the Slides.

Delara allows the group to stay in her manor for the night, before bidding them a fond adieu in the morning. The Pathfinders set out for Umok. A few days later, they arrive.

Again, you can retcon any resupply between leaving Valten and arriving in Umok.

Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (gather information) DC 10 (can be made untrained):

Umok is a gnome town along the northeast edge of the Chitterwood. The gnomes here often clash with local goblin tribes.

Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (gather information) DC 15:

In order to deter goblin attacks, the town has banned fire within 500 yards of the city. Magic light and alchemical stones replace the need for open flame.

Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (gather information) DC 20:

Local animals have been befriended or charmed to help defend the settlement. Though friendly to the gnomes, they fight fiercely to defend Umok and its inhabitants from hostile outsiders.

The Pathfinders arrive in Umok without incident, despite the occasional signs of goblinoid activity en route. Approaching the town, it becomes clear that Umok looks oddly proportioned. The buildings are squat, and the streets look too narrow. The walls rise barely 6 feet high and appear too low for an effective defense. Bright colors abound throughout the town, adorning both the architecture and Umok's citizens, giving the impression that a fleet of chromatic dragons must have battled in the skies above, raining multicolored scales down upon the city. Wild and domesticated animals wander the streets, seeming perfectly at home amid the bustle of the town.

The party attracts attention as they enter the city of Umok, with animals taking up defensive postures and gnomes gawking at the travelers and whispering to their neighbors. Before the Pathfinders make it more than a few yards into the city, a female gnome confidently approaches.

Armored and accompanied by an apparently tame badger, the fierce looking gnome eyes your group intently. Finally a smile cracks her face. "Welcome to Umok strangers! My name is Trigi Neppo, peacekeeper and goblin-watcher. Might I ask your business in town?"

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Everbloom grins at the strange little town, clearly amused.

"We'd like to use your archives." she replies bluntly. "And eat. I'm famished."

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Diplomacy, gather info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Diplomacy, gather info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Follow Up (Ex)
An investigator can roll twice on any Diplomacy check made to gather information, and receives the information for both results. This takes the same amount of time as one check. If the lesser of the two checks reveals false information, the rogue is aware of it.

All spoilers open.

Giovanni recounts some of his experience researching Umok. Ah, yes. A quaint hamlet of gnome inhabitants. Mind your use of fire, friends. They detest it. Also be wary of the large animals enlisted to protect the city, they are trained but deadly.

--

Greetings, Master Neppo. We come on a mission of great importance on behalf of the Irrica family. We hope to speak to any surviving Eagle Knights from the hobgoblin wars.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Har! What they said.

Smiley crosses his arms, satisfied with being helpful in this endeavor.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War
Everbloom wrote:
"We'd like to use your archives." she replies bluntly. "And eat. I'm famished."

"The archives, eh? Very well, first things first. Food we can definitely take care of. Follow me!"

The gnome leads you to a tavern, a building that is surprisingly sized for Medium humanoids rather than Small. The sign names it "The Badger's Den," and it turns out to be a cheery place, where gnomes scurry to and fro to help their mostly human and elvish patrons, visitors to the town or some of the few non-gnomes that live in Umok. It is notable that the building has no fireplace, but rather there seems to be a large heatstone of some sort sitting in the center of the room on a pedestal.

Once there, and once the group has been served a generous helping of bread, butter, honey, and fruit, and been given the opportunity to order a meal and drinks, Trigi begins to answer questions.

"So you want to see the Archives? Questions about the Goblinblood War? Hmm, well I'm sure you'll find some information in the Archives, but honestly I'd recommend going and seeing Bastojo Qualimger, or "Bearjaw" as they call him, first. He was a scout in the wars, though he doesn't talk about it much. He runs a butcher's shop just down the street, calls it the Beartrap."

After a delightful dinner, the group says farewell to Trigi for now, though she recommends they come back later if they want to stay the night in town. They make their way to the butcher's shop known at the Beartrap, an unevenly split two story building whose ground level is distinctly taller than the floor above.

Inside the butcher shop, a beefy gnome with a massive green beard tucked into an apron wipes down a long, bloodied table. He turns around, saying "Ahh, strangers, how can old Bearjaw help you?"

This next part is a skills challenge, if you will, consisting of four sections, starting with the discussion with Bearjaw here at the Beartrap.

For each challenge, you can either attempt a skill check or use a class ability (such as bardic performance or casting a spell). After each of you has contributed, we will use the highest check result, and treat any check with a result of 10 or higher as though the that person had used the aid another action. If anyone casts a spell or uses an ability that is appropriate to the task at hand, it will grant a bonus of +2 to the highest check result. For spells or other class abilities that seem particularly appropriate to the task, increase this bonus to +4.

Bearjaw seems cordial, but you've heard he doesn't easily talk about the war. For talking to Bearjaw, the skill checks you can use are Diplomacy, Bluff, or Sense motive.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Bearjaw and Beartrap, appropriate names for such a legendary persona and venue. How did you come by these names, sir? Giovanni hopes some flattery will get Bearjaw to loosen up about his experience and accolades.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro enjoys the meal but wished there was some meat in it. Seeing as there were so many 'tamed' animals in the village he understands if the inhabitants might be reluctant to eat meat.

He listens to their gnome greeter and agrees they should talk to the old scout.

Greeting the old scout and bows, showing respects to the old soldier being a soldier himself.

"Pardon our intrusion, but we are on a mission that requires us to look for some lost relic that we have information on that reveals to us that the hobgoblins fought in the Goblinblood War might have."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2; Ouch!

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom regards the man closely.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Smiley engages Bearjaw in discussion of Smiley's many victories in battle, and tries to draw out stories from the butcher.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War
Giovanni Stellaluce wrote:
Bearjaw and Beartrap, appropriate names for such a legendary persona and venue. How did you come by these names, sir? Giovanni hopes some flattery will get Bearjaw to loosen up about his experience and accolades.

Flattery and interest in his stories on the part of Giovanni and Smiley start to loosen Bearjaw's tongue.

"I got the name Bearjaw during the war. I was a scout, fought alongside the Eagle Knights. Fought in a lot of skirmishes, and a few big battles. It was a terrible war. We were out-numbered 3-to-1 or worse in the best case, though they were goblins for the most part. The Chitterwood seemed full of them in those days."

Hskoro Tailfeather wrote:
"Pardon our intrusion, but we are on a mission that requires us to look for some lost relic that we have information on that reveals to us that the hobgoblins fought in the Goblinblood War might have."

"Funny you mention it, but a raid by the hobgoblins was the worst times I had during the war. They slaughtered nearly an entire caravan of folk," he says in a low voice, "I was the one who found the survivors of that raid and led them back here, but it wasn't an easy journey. Them hobgoblin raiders weren't like the main bunch, and that's why the convoy didn't make it. See, them hobgoblins didn't attack from the woods like all the rest. This group, they came down out of the hills and hit that convoy hard and fast. They came from the Aspodell Mountains."

With this useful piece of information in hand, the Pathfinders say their goodbyes to Bearjaw and proceed to the town archives. A friendly gnome clerk greets, them, and after their explain themselves she allows them to peruse the archives at their leisure. It is a cosy room, well-lit by magic. The archives contain Eagle Knight maps and documents recovered at the end of the Goblinblood Wars, listing out a number of raids, their general locations, and estimates of when the raids occurred.

In the Archive, you may use Knowledge (geography), Linguistics, Perception, or Profession (cartographer) to determine the probably location of the raid.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni adjusts his glasses and goes to work reviewing the materials. He feels at home in the archives having spent much of his youth in libraries and various academic environments.

linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Ole Smiley don't know much about book-learnin', but he likes a good map. Lemme see here...

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Hey, I found my home! Lookee here!

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro feels more comfortable perusing the maps and starts to look at them to glean any useful information.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Everbloom sifts through the maps.

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment

It being Wealday, Mikhail has taken the opportunity to go shopping for his weekly butter, scones, and tea.

Survival to Track? Seems like the best I can do give the parameters: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Once he makes it to the library, he tries to help plot the likely routes the raiders would have taken through the region.

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Sorry guys I wasn’t receiving new posts, didn’t see we picked back up.
Tholand listens quietly as Bear Jaw tells him of the war, looking for any hint of exaggeration in his story.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
As they move to the archives, Tholand peers over Smiley’s shoulder at the map offering up any knowledge he may have on the area.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Everbloom and Giovanni conduct the majority of the successful research in the archives, though Hskoro is helpful in fetching and gathering the books, maps, and scrolls for them as well. With the information here learned put together with what Bearjaw told them, the Pathfinders are able to determine that the hobgoblin base must have been due east of Umok, in the foothills of the Aspodell Mountains.

After resting the night at the Badger's Den, the Pathfinder set out, heading east. After walking for most of the day, they begin to approach the area where they suspect the old hobgoblin base to be located, but now it is a matter of trying to find a trail or path to the base itself, it such a one exists.

For this part it is Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Perception, Profession (guide), or Survival to locate the trail. You can also choose to make a Fortitude save instead, representing your character working extra hard to try to locate the trail (even if you aren't particularly skilled).

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom, who spent a good deal of her life alone in the wilds, gets to work sniffing out a trail.

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Giovanni has a harder time finding a trail, his skills more suited for library than the open air.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Though they were initially concerned that they might struggle to locate a 20 year old trail, it seems that it is still in use, and Everbloom finds it quickly. But the path to the base proves a difficult climb. The hobgoblins seem to have chosen the route to deter pursuit and the terrain seems strangely modified, with sudden drop-offs and no smooth trails.

For the ascent to the base, you can use Acrobatics (to jump from rock to rock or balance on a precipice), Climb, Knowledge (nature) (to notice areas deliberately altered to hide the path), or Perception (to spot a safe route).

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Giovanni attempts to hop down the rocks and not twist an ankle.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Smiley recalls his many hours scaling the peaks of Five Kings Mountain with his brothers.

Har! Finally, somet'in Ole Smiley's good at!

Having taunted Dicebot by expecting a good result, let's see...

Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Thanks, Dicebot. No hard feelings.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom keeps her eyes open for an easier path up.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

With his armor, he has to be careful with climbing, so he keeps a keen eye out for safer paths to take.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Oi! Smiley! How bout a friendly race to the bottom? Loser buys the other ‘un ale!
Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Haha! Looks like you just barely beat me.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Oh, it's on.

Har! Ye'll never win! I have the luck of a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son! Hoo there, watch yer step!

Smiley starts showing off...

Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

...and promptly starts rolling downhill.


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Hskoro manages to locate the best possible path up to the hideout, and the ascent is made without any injury. In fact, despite a decent hike and climb, the Pathfinders are in pretty good shape both in terms of spirits and fatigue, when the reach the entrance to a cave that most likely is the lair they seek. This would not have likely been the case had they gotten lost, or had trouble with the climb.

The trail ends at a large boulder in front of a tunnel leading deeper inside. The cave is dark, the walls are stone, and the ceilings are 10 feet high.

Perception DC 15:

Though there are no hobgoblin tracks apparent at the entrance, the trail shows signs of passage by a large reptilian creature within the last hour.

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Perception DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Smiley does not notice whatever slavering beast is waiting to devour them, but he moves to enter the cave if not prevented.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

On your guard, folks. Seems there has been a large reptile here recently. Giovanni draws a wand and applies a charge to himself.

UMD: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Dang, this usually works.

Fail to activate the wand. GM, let me know if I have time to apply this still.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom follows the others into the cave, seemingly unconcerned with whatever large reptile might lair within.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro draws his battleaxe. "Right. Lets see about moving this boulder so we can go further in."

He puts his back into it and pushes.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom lends a hand.

Strength to AID: 1d20 ⇒ 16

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Smiley lends his muscles to the effort.

Strength assist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni stops fiddling with the wand and helps push.

strength aid: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

3,5,1,8,3,6 Umm Smiley I think your dice are broke! Lol man at least you’re getting them out of the way! By the way I have a 10 Perception to notice traps or anything unusual in the walls and get to roll a check to spot them if I become within 10 feet of one, b/c stone cunning.
‘Ere, let mi help ye!
Strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
I don’t smell ‘em so I don’t think it’s a hobgoblin, but let’s find out. I’ll take point for a bit if yuns don’t mind?

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

LOL, Tholand. I don't need good dice rolls. I'm the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son! Just ask my seven older brothers!

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment
Smiley Stonegirdle wrote:
LOL, Tholand. I don't need good dice rolls. I'm the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

So...you're saying you're so lucky that you don't need to be lucky?

Smiley Stonegirdle wrote:
I'm the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son! Just ask my seven older brothers!

Wait. This would have to mean...some combination of incest and time travel...?

Mikhail tries to help dislodge the boulder by 'anointing' it with "Geryon's venom".

acid splash, acid flask as power focus: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Repeat as necessary.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:
Mikhail Ximenez wrote:


Smiley Stonegirdle wrote:
I'm the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son! Just ask my seven older brothers!

Wait. This would have to mean...some combination of incest and time travel...?

Just means his grandparents had seven sons, and then the seventh son had seven sons. Him being the seventh son of his parents. No incest or time travel involved. Though that would make an interesting story.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)
Hskoro Tailfeather wrote:
Mikhail Ximenez wrote:


Smiley Stonegirdle wrote:
I'm the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son! Just ask my seven older brothers!

Wait. This would have to mean...some combination of incest and time travel...?

Just means his grandparents had seven sons, and then the seventh son had seven sons. Him being the seventh son of his parents. No incest or time travel involved. Though that would make an interesting story.

Having seven older brothers makes you the 8th son. Perhaps an interesting discovery?

The Exchange

Male Andoran Dwarven Brawler/3 (HP:30/30 | AC:18 T:12 FF:16 (+4 vs Giants) | CMB:+5 CMD:17 | F:+5 R:+5 W:+3 | Init:+2 | Perc:+6 Darkvision 60ft | Speed:20 ft) Unarmed +7 or BF +5/+5 (d6+3), PA +6 or PBF +4/+4 (d6+5) | QRS 0/1 MF 3/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +6 Climb +7 Diplomacy +1 Escape Artist +6 Fly +2 Heal +2 HA +3 Knowledge (History:Dwarves) +1 (Local) +3 Perception +6 Ride +6 Sense Motive +6 Stealth +1 Stonecunning +8 Survival +2 Swim +7
Bull Rush +8/18 Dirty Trick +6/18 Disarm +7/18 Drag +6/18 Grapple +7/19 Overrun +8/18 Reposition +6/18 Steal +7/18 Sunder +6/18 Trip +6/18

Here's the explanation: INT 8 (-1)


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

Sorry if I was confusing, you don't really need to move the boulder to go into the cave. I was just giving everyone a chance to notice the tracks and discuss, plus cast any buffs or anything, and decide if you wanna try to move in stealthily or anything. So, yeah, Giovanni has as long as he wants to try to activate that wand (as long as you don't roll a natural 1, since that prevents the item from being activated for 24 hours).

So, we'll work from the assumption that he eventually activates it, and then you move on into the cave, though not particularly stealthily (it hasn't been your guys' thing so far). If anyone else wants to do any kind of buffing before entering the caves, we can also retcon that.

The passage turns south, serving as the only entrance and exit for a wide chamber that spirals down to a stone table 10 feet below. Bones and refuse litter the floor, and debris is gathered into a nest alongside the table.

Yellow eyes briefly flicker from the nest. Then, suddenly, a large reptile leaps out, gray-scaled and at least six feet in length. It has a dragon’s head filled with sharp teeth, and two arms ending in grasping claws. A cloud of greenish vapor wafts from its gaping maw.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 17:

Tatzlwyrms are thought to be primeval relatives of true dragons, having branched off the line millennia ago and evolved in a way that sets them notably apart. Undersized compared to their larger cousins, tatzlwyrms are nonetheless ferocious in their own right. And while tatzlwyrms are hardly impressive specimens when put beside their notorious relatives, most other reptiles can’t compare to them mentally. They understand Draconic, though other languages are beyond most tatzlwyrms’ limited comprehension. Nevertheless, tatzlwyrms are deeply cunning, building complex lairs and rudimentary traps.

Tatzlwyrms are quite rare, and only a few particularly curious and lucky adventurers can claim to have seen a living specimen. Reports do agree on some basic features, however. About the size of a full-grown human, tatzlwyrms have only two limbs and no wings, and possess a weak poisonous breath similar to the breath weapons of their true dragon relatives. An adult tatzlwyrm is 6 to 8 feet long, including its winding, organless tail, and it weighs between 400 and 500 pounds. A tatzlwyrm’s scales give the creature limited camouflage, ranging through various shades of green, brown, and gray.

Like true dragons, tatzlwyrms are strict carnivores. They spend most of their time hiding, waiting to attack any prey that ventures too near. They consume their food slowly in the dark security and seclusion of their lairs. Tatzlwyrms have a remarkable knack for ambush and camouflage.

As dragons, they can see in the dark and are immune to paralysis and sleep.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 22:

Tatzylwyrms have pounce, rake, and their breath contains a poisonous vapor. While grappling, instead of making a bite or rake attack, a tatzlwyrm can breathe poison into its victim’s face. A tatzlwyrm must begin its turn grappling to use this ability—it can’t begin a grapple and use its poison gasp in the same turn.

GM Rolls:

Hskoro initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Tholand initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Smiley initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Everbloom initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Giovanni initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Mikhail initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Tatzlwyrm initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Summary:

Round One Mikhail (up), Everbloom (up), Hskoro (up), Tholand (up), Giovanni (up), Tatzylwyrm (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Mikhail, Everbloom, Hskoro, Tholand, and Giovanni may act.

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Unable to get a clear shot on the strange creature, Everbloom hurries along the ramp. (Double move)

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

The creature looks extremely dangerous to Hskoro and doesn't want any of his companions to face it head on without him getting between them to protect them. With that thought in mind, Hskoro runs down the path at full speed.

Run (60')

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

kn arcana: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Giovanni turns the corner looking and hops down the cavern wall.

Acrobatics DC 15 to avoid the first 10ft of damage: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

He's not sure what the creature is but lobs a glob of acid at the lizard like creature.

acid splash, ranged touch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
damage vs flatfoot: 1d3 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + (1, 6) = 9

Liberty's Edge

Male Dwarf (+2Con, +2Wis, -2Cha) 30/30HP, AC: 16 T: 16, FF: 14, CMD: 19, F: +6, R: +4, W: +6, Init +1, Pereption +7, Sense Motive +7 LN Male Dwarf Master of Many Styles/ Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3, Unarmed Strike: +7, (1d6+8, x2) MW Cestus: +7, (1d4+8, 19-20x2)

Tholand rushes in right behind Hskoro, trying to keep pace. Run Action
Cant let you ‘ave all the fun now can I? Says Tholand as he runs alongside Hskoro.

Sovereign Court

LN male Dwarf Inquisitor 3
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 12, FF 15|HP: 24/24|F +5, R +3 W +6 (+2 vs magic items), SR 8|Init +5 (+1 in surprise rounds), Perc +3 (+2 vs pickpockets)|CMB +4 CMD 16 (20 vs disarm/steal)|1/1 Judgment

"RIGHT!" Barks Mikhail. "Look at this den of depravity. Consider yourself damned for Crimes Against Hospitality. And Against Nature. AND Against Feng Shui as codified by Governor Jīn shīrén of Old Pen Wa at the Imperial Feast of Lilacs...."

His features take on an unholy edge as he rambles, and suddenly, he brings the Hellfire Rod to bear against the saurian horror.

Declaring Judgment, starting with Destruction!

Hellfire Rod, Destruction +2, ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Mummy's Mask~Kingmaker ~Strange Aeons ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name I ~ Fallen Family, Broken Name II ~ Border of War

The Pathfinders rush forward, moving down the ramp to confront this strange draconid. Giovanni decides to skip the ramp, and jumps down, landing on his feet, nimble as a cat. Almost as soon as he lands he sends a blob of acid flying to collide with the tatzlwyrm, and the creature roars in pain.

Quick as a blue-tailed skink the tatzylwyrm rushes across the room, and runs straight up the side-wall of the ramp to close with Giovanni, and tries to bite the daring rogue, who the creature views as a most dangerous purveyor of nasty, burning acid. Giovanni seems not to have expected the climbing prowess of this dragon, and it manages to bite into him hard, right above the knee. What's more, the tatzylwyrm refuses to give up its toothy grip, and has the rogue grappled for the time being.

GM Rolls:

Tatzylwyrm, bite attack with grab: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 51d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Summary:

Round One Mikhail (missed), Everbloom (double moved), Hskoro (ran), Tholand (ran), Giovanni (acid splash), Tatzylwyrm (bit and grappled Giovanni), Smiley (up)

Round Two Mikhail (up), Everbloom (up), Hskoro (up), Tholand (up), Giovanni (up), Tatzylwyrm (not yet up), Smiley (not yet up)

Tatzylwyrm- 9 damage

Giovanni takes 5 points of damage and is grappled. Mikhail, Everbloom, Hskoro, Tholand, and Giovanni may act.

Liberty's Edge

Male Nagaji Fighter 6.0 | AC 30 (T 15/FF 27) *+2 AC vs Critical Confirmation | CMB +12 CMD 26 (FF 23) | HP 70/70 | Init +2 | Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +2 (All +2 vs Mind-Affecting Effects & Poison; +1 vs Fear); +4 Hot/Cold Environment & Suffocation) | Perception +2 | Low-Light Vision | Speed 20' | Active Conditions:

Hskoro runs the rest of the way down, toward the grappled rogue while yelling "Stupid rogue. You don't get in front of the warriors."

Run (55')
Don't know if the dragon-thing can make an AoO while grappling but Hskoro will risk it if it can.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

escape artist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Giovanni struggles to free himself but is pretty well secured in the creature's grip. Ack. A little stuck here! Help!

Paizo Employee

Female Kitsune Kineticist 3 | HP: 27/27 Non-Lethal: 0 | AC 18 (T14*, FF 15) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F:+7 R:+8 W:+3* | Init +3 | Perc +7*, SM +1*, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Dancing lights: 3/3 | Burn: 0/6 | Active Conditions: None

Everbloom, being as sensitive and caring as always, bursts out laughing at Giovanni's predicament. She opens her palms, causing a sudden swirling in the air around her. Flowers petals form from nowhere, apparently drawn right out of thin air, and spiral around Everbloom in a vortex around each open palm. With a grin she thrusts her hands forward, sending a flurry of flower petals at the creature.

Gather power as a move action, then using the extended range infusion with her kinetic blast to make it's range 120 ft at a cost of no extra burn.

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Magical Slashing Damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (6, 5) + 5 = 16

251 to 300 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / # 9-16: Fallen Family, Broken Name, with GM Pendrak All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.