|nate lange RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32|
|6 people marked this as a favorite.|
As stated in the title this is an open recruitment for a sandbox game starting at 7th level. Please read this whole initial post before asking any questions. I have a big pet peeve about people not really reading posts before they post- if you don't read this post that I stress the importance of it makes me think that will be an ongoing problem.
I know this is unusual but I don't want to give away too much of the particulars of the setting for two reasons:
1) Part of the fun of the beginning of the game will, hopefully, be discovering/figuring out some of the setting.
2) I want you to make your characters free from preconceived notions about the setting. I know in many games having your character fit neatly into the setting can be part of the fun, or one of your selling points but in this game you are going to be 'fish out of water'. Plus, I want everyone to feel free to make whatever character they want... want to play a gunslinging pirate? go for it! a late enlightenment alchemist? awesome! a pre-columbian south American shaman? can't wait to see it!
What I can comfortably share: this is meta-knowledge that your characters won't have at all but the basic concept for the game is that your 'home base' is a fantastical location from which you will have opportunities to travel to a wide variety of different worlds/settings. Some of these trips might be somewhat necessary but for the most part players will have a ton of control over where you go and what you do there. If you want political intrigue in a major metropolis you'll have opportunities to do that. If you want to hunt supernatural evils across the foggy moors of an isolated state you can do that. If you want to protect a peaceful farming village from imperialist invaders (or giants) you can do that too.
If you're still reading, here are the brass tacks...
Posting Expectations: At least three times per week. Ideally once per day but I'd like the feel to be fairly relaxed and if people miss days here and there it shouldn't be a big deal.
- Character Creation:
- All published paizo material is fair game, but please see the specific information below. If you want to use something that does not appear on d20pfsrd.com or the Archives of Nethys you will have to provide a working link to it (and evidence it is a legitimate paizo product). I will not be using any 3pp materials (this will be complicated enough without adding rules/systems I'm not very familiar with).
- 25 point buy.
- Average wealth by level. No single item can account for more than half your wealth. No pre-game crafting.
Applying templates to your character is also not allowed.
If you choose a class that requires a god you may choose any of the Golarion divine beings, can reflavor any Golarion deity with new fluff (but the same mechanics) as a new god or philosophy, or PM me about mechanics for a different concept.
Wizards may select spell focus as a bonus feat at 1st level in place of scribe scroll if they prefer.
If you select the leadership feat: your cohort is built on a 15 point buy, with average wealth by level for an npc, and average hp every level (including 1st). Also, please see the comments on power level, the increased action economy and options of a cohort will be considered part of your power level.
Complete Applications will include the following:
- Crunch- all your mechanics must be in place.
- No Background- you read that correctly. If its helpful for you in building your character you may think of one potential background that could lead to this character but your character will begin with no memory of where you came from or any specific people.
- Personality and Outlook- this is extra important since you won't have a background. It should be clear from this section what kind of person you are. Your outlook and alignment should make sense together. Without a background this will be one of your most significant writing samples.
- Appearance- this will be everyone else's first impression of you, so make it count. (Also an important sample of your writing.)
Recruitment will be open until 11:59pm GMT on Friday May 27th.
I will select 2-6 players depending on how many compatible characters really get me excited. Selection should be completed, and the discussion thread opened, by Monday the 30th.
Feel free to post questions (I usually check the boards several times a day). I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.