|nate lange RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32|
How to describe this... Samurai and Indians?
I'm looking to run a game that's sort of Seven Samurai meets the Magnificent Seven... a spaghetti western that instead of being set in the early American west takes place on the frontier of a generic Asian nation (Japan will probably be the strongest influence but we'll include some Chinese influence as well). And, there won't be any firearms- all those gunslinging lawmen and desperadoes will instead be deadly swordsmen. If you're still reading this you probably understand my vision; if you don't but you're curious enough to keep reading please feel free to ask questions.
I'm looking for swordmen (maybe one swordswoman). You don't necessarily have to be a martial class but you have to be decent enough with a sword that you may have a reputation as a badass. I might select one non-swordsman if someone has a really good idea (this party's version of the mysterious old indian shaman), but basically everyone should be some kind of swordsman. Ideally you should have a signature style... one generalist who's just good with whatever sword he grabs might be alright but the characters will be more distinct and more interesting if they specialize somehow. I recently ended a game and I've invited several of the players from it to this game. So far I have 2 commitments and 1 that I'm waiting to hear back from. I'm willing to take up to 7 players total (if there are enough good, distinctly different applications) so I have 4-5 open slots to recruit. I don't know yet what the pre-selected players will be building but I'll post that as soon as possible (or they will).
- I'm looking for a commitment of 5 posts/week. We all know RL stuff comes up but I'm really looking for people who will be able to post close to 1/day except for rare extenuating circumstances.
- Have fun and be lighthearted... true to the genre there will be certain people groups that are looked down on or mistreated and there may be times in the game when there's some stereotyping and things like that; we're all going to make a point of not going too far with it, but if that's something that's going to bother or offend you this might not be a great fit. I have no problem with a character who opposes that and hopes to curtail it, but if its something you'll feel like you'll need to address in the discussion thread every time it comes up you may not enjoy this setting.
- Be respectful of each other. There's plenty of issues that may come up in any PbP but I will insist that everyone involved be respectful of one another.
No 3pp Materials.
7th level; 25 point buy.
Race: Read this VERY IMPORTANT document!
Class: see this document
Feats: Leadership is not allowed.
Traits: 2; no campaign traits, no drawbacks
Skills: we will be using background skills from unchained
Wealth: Average for level (23,500 gold)
Other: I’m sure I forgot stuff, feel free to ask questions.
- Recruitment will be open for just over 2 weeks, until 11:59 GMT on Saturday October 8th.
- For an application to be complete it must include all your crunch, a description of your appearance and personality, and some background (your 7th level so there should be some substance to this; it doesn’t need to be super long though and its a lower fantasy setting so try not to make it too over the top).
Good luck everyone, I look forward to your questions and applications!
***Important Edit***: I just spoke with one of the preselected players and he wants to claim the non-swordsman spot. He's planning to make a divine caster who focuses on buffs/debuffs and healing. If someone else comes up with a truly extraordinary idea for a non-swordsman that's significantly different than his I might allow a second one but you should definitely run the concept by me before you put much time into it.