Sleep in armor?


Rules Questions


Can a PC sleep in armor? There is no info about it in the core...

Any ideas?


I sleep on a star ship...

Dark Archive

Not a thing I can find about about it so yes

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I would think it would be a GM decision. Maybe look at the Sleep deprivation rules and derive something off that. Looks like a Fortitude save each day they wear their armor might work.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Entirely up to the GM, though logically it would depend on the type of armor. Many forms of light armor are similar to clothing, so sleeping in them would be similar to just sleeping dressed. Heavy armor. . . if you tried that, you'd be eating fatigue penalties.

Dark Archive

Look under the endurance feat in CRB


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
MeriDoc- wrote:
Look under the endurance feat in CRB

There is no such feat.

The Exchange

The rule you are looking for is under "Armor Check Penalty" in the Equipment section:
"Sleeping in armor: A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can't charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue."
This can be mitigated with the Endurance Feat as noted above, and also by the magical enhancement Restful Armor from the Advanced Class Guide.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
WarEagleMage wrote:

The rule you are looking for is under "Armor Check Penalty" in the Equipment section:

"Sleeping in armor: A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can't charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue."
This can be mitigated with the Endurance Feat as noted above, and also by the magical enhancement Restful Armor from the Advanced Class Guide.

That would be Pathfinder, not Starfinder.

I'd say there's no reason you can't sleep in it. Might not be the most comfortable but some armors provide weeks of life support, I feel like the designers would have made them comfortable enough to sleep in since otherwise most of that is wasted as the user dies from exposure or sleep deprivation before their armor runs out of supplies.


I think sleeping in light armor like second skin would be a non issue. It is basically just clothing for bulk wise so it would be like sleeping in long johns. A lot of the other light armor is basically just like clothing as well. Medium and heavy may wind up inhibiting a solid night sleep just due to the bulk/shape of it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would think you could sleep in armor without a problem. It would really suck to be on a hostile environment planet, have a week of food, water and air in your suit but not be able to sleep in it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
kaid wrote:
I think sleeping in light armor like second skin would be a non issue. It is basically just clothing for bulk wise so it would be like sleeping in long johns. A lot of the other light armor is basically just like clothing as well. Medium and heavy may wind up inhibiting a solid night sleep just due to the bulk/shape of it.

There is no such thing as medium armor in Starfinder.

Dark Archive

Think EC gamer guy has the right of it. This thing has hook ups, FM/am and was 3d scanned to fit you (made that last bit up)

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is no rule. I think this is similar to the other thread about Age Progression where because it existed in PF some people feel you must address it in SF. Some things were just cut because they add more complexity without adding more fun. If it's fun to be ambushed without your gear you could always house rule it.


David knott 242 wrote:
kaid wrote:
I think sleeping in light armor like second skin would be a non issue. It is basically just clothing for bulk wise so it would be like sleeping in long johns. A lot of the other light armor is basically just like clothing as well. Medium and heavy may wind up inhibiting a solid night sleep just due to the bulk/shape of it.

There is no such thing as medium armor in Starfinder.

To used to pathfinder I meant heavy and power armor.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Considering that all armor provides life support for 1 day/level, it seems reasonable that it is designed to be slept in. Otherwise, what is the point of being able to survive in armor for 10 days if you have to take it off to sleep?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just because you can sleep in it, doesn't mean you can sleep *well*.

Dark Archive

Why not? Quick toss of my nano self leveling memory foam bed and I will sleep like a baby


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It would suck to have to take your armor off to sleep..... when your floating in the hard vaccum of space, when it is the only thing keeping you alive.

In the time it took to advance from pathfinder to starfinder, i think they had suitable advances in armor tech that they made armor that did not chafe. Thus did not bother one's sleep.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This... also solves the 'free clothing question' when one thinks about it.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / Sleep in armor? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions