Questions about Iconic Character Art?


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion

151 to 200 of 569 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Is there more "action" artwork containing some of the iconics in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous PACG adventure path? My friend makes custom character sheets for my group and he likes putting art on the deck spot.

Transparent .pngs of characters seems to be a fairly hit-or-miss find as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
1) I was asked to design a temple sword for Sajan. Though his Hora (knuckle - dusters) weren't part of the character description.

Is Sajan's sword one of these?

Nandaka

or is that a coincidence?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Apologies if this has been answered: Oracles can wear armor - so why doesn't the Iconic Oracle?
I seem to recall that armour wasn't mentioned in the art description for the Oracle.
We intentionally chose not to request armor for the oracle, because while they CAN wear armor, many oracle mysteries grant a pretty good armor bonus perk that wouldn't stack with armor. Furhtermore, since we wanted our oracle to come from the desert... full-on armor felt weird to put on her.

My favourite iconic. :)

Contributor

ohako wrote:
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
1) I was asked to design a temple sword for Sajan. Though his Hora (knuckle - dusters) weren't part of the character description.

Is Sajan's sword one of these?

Nandaka

or is that a coincidence?

Looks kinda similar.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
RhinoKneel wrote:

Is there more "action" artwork containing some of the iconics in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous PACG adventure path? My friend makes custom character sheets for my group and he likes putting art on the deck spot.

Transparent .pngs of characters seems to be a fairly hit-or-miss find as well.

I can say that I've done a piece of artwork for the Wrath of the Righteous PACG. But I can't really divulge any other information regarding future Pathfinder artwork until they've been officially previewed by Paizo.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:

I can say that I've done a piece of artwork for the Wrath of the Righteous PACG. But I can't really divulge any other information regarding future Pathfinder artwork until they've been officially previewed by Paizo.

Understood. I do love your work and so far already looking like I'll be playing as Crowe unless I see someone who suits me better :P

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooh, I love that Tengu on the cover of the Advanced Race Guide!

Do you have any info on that character?

My speculations from your picture;

a) He's a boy tengu.
b) He's a cleric.
c) He's Tien.
d) His name is Bakiri, but Merisiel calls him 'Beaky,' to his annoyance.

Contributor

Set wrote:

Ooh, I love that Tengu on the cover of the Advanced Race Guide!

Do you have any info on that character?

My speculations from your picture;

a) He's a boy tengu.
b) He's a cleric.
c) He's Tien.
d) His name is Bakiri, but Merisiel calls him 'Beaky,' to his annoyance.

LoL!

Glad you like my rendition of the Tengu.
I seem to recall that the art description I received for the Tengu character was very brief. I think it just specified depicting a Tengu But didn't include any info regarding class, gender or name.

I depicted him more as a Wizard or sorcerer rather than a Cleric.

I'm guessing that the Paizo design team haven't published any archetype information for him? So your description works just fine. :)


that is an odd request indeed

im guessing they wanted to make them seem androgynous or something

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
d) His name is Bakiri, but Merisiel calls him 'Beaky,' to his annoyance.

Not as annoyed as he gets as when Merisiel tells him to "go lay an egg" or "stop showboating Beaky, you're being such a peacock."

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
tuypo1 wrote:

that is an odd request indeed

im guessing they wanted to make them seem androgynous or something

I'll admit that I can't really tell boy crows from girl crows, so unless you go the 'let's give girl dragonborn huge jumblies!' route, it's kind of a toss up.

The clothing choices on the Tengu-in-question led me to think male.

'Beaky' as a wizard or sorcerer is an interesting tweak. I probably based my cleric assumption at least partially on tengu statistics (bonus to Wisdom), 'cause I'm a dirty powergamer. :)

New question!

Seoni and Ezren have sorta-similar staves, and when you draw them, they are distinctive (his looks more cobra-head-ish, hers more like a dreamcatcher), but other artists seem to draw them so similarly I sometimes have to go look at the originals to see if they 'got them wrong.' Was the staff-similarity something in the original art order, or did they just sort of both randomly end up with staves that curved at the end like that?

Not a question!

I'd *love* to see your interpretation of some of the more Golarion-specific races, particularly Androids, Vishkanya or Wayangs. Or perhaps some sort of 'rule XXX' gender/race/ethnicity-bent versions of pre-existing characters. (Amiri as a Mwangi, Valeros as Osirioni, Seoni as Changeling or Nagaji, Ezren as an older lady.)

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
'cause I'm a dirty powergamer

Redundant and superfluous use of the word 'dirty'.

Set is my kind of scum.

:)

Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
tuypo1 wrote:

that is an odd request indeed

im guessing they wanted to make them seem androgynous or something

I'll admit that I can't really tell boy crows from girl crows, so unless you go the 'let's give girl dragonborn huge jumblies!' route, it's kind of a toss up.

The clothing choices on the Tengu-in-question led me to think male.

'Beaky' as a wizard or sorcerer is an interesting tweak. I probably based my cleric assumption at least partially on tengu statistics (bonus to Wisdom), 'cause I'm a dirty powergamer. :)

New question!

Seoni and Ezren have sorta-similar staves, and when you draw them, they are distinctive (his looks more cobra-head-ish, hers more like a dreamcatcher), but other artists seem to draw them so similarly I sometimes have to go look at the originals to see if they 'got them wrong.' Was the staff-similarity something in the original art order, or did they just sort of both randomly end up with staves that curved at the end like that?

:)

Form and clothing are ways an artist can denote gender on non-mammalian zoomorphic creatures.
Your observation that "Beaky" the Tengu (Yep, that's his name now)is male due to his clothing is an accurate conclusion.
I'd have probably given a female Tengu more jewellery and a kimono rather than a hakama. I'd make her form more slender than the male counterpart too.
I like the idea that Tengu use paint to make distinguishing marks a fascinating concept also. It would be a fun visual to play around with.

I love creating creature and culture building art. I'd relish the opportunity to work on some of the Golorion - specific races.

Ezren's stave is a kinda dragon - headed handled walking stick. (Rather like a question mark "?") It's shape is coincidental to Seoni's natural - shaped staff, which has a top shaped a bit like the letter "G".

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:

I'd have probably given a female Tengu more jewellery and a kimono rather than a hakama. I'd make her form more slender than the male counterpart too.

I like the idea that Tengu use paint to make distinguishing marks a fascinating concept also. It would be a fun visual to play around with.

Ooh, tengu beak-paint / adornment, perhaps? Same for claws and scaly parts of the limbs? Neat!

And the visual of a tengu lady in a kimono (and perhaps fancy headdress) is awesome.

Quote:
I love creating creature and culture building art.

IT's much appreciated. I love that even the 'monsters' get neat bits of detail, like the angular weapons and bone fetishes worn by the yeti-looking dudes on the cover of Ultimate Combat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Don't really have much in the way of questions. I've always wanted to find Wayne at a convention and bother him in person about just how much his art has been a really big influence on my own illustration for years now, but this'll do I guess.

So, thanks Wayne.

My question would probably be whether you still paint traditionally or have moved completely digital. If the former, I have no idea how you work so fast.

Also where can I get poster-sized versions of your covers?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Wayne, have you ever considered (or actually done) slipping a certain magically gifted London bobby into a Pathfinder piece?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have to say Imrijka has always looked the best to me as far as all Iconics are concerned. Now, Quinn is especially cool; but in the end, Imrijka still wins as my favorite piece of art.

Great job on her, Wayne!

So my question is . . . how do I go about asking her out on a date? You know, dinner and a movie. Maybe bring her to meet the parents and such like family and friends.

I suppose you would have to give your blessing on such a matter, correct?

Just refer to me as Curious in Charlotte . . . :)

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Askren wrote:

Don't really have much in the way of questions. I've always wanted to find Wayne at a convention and bother him in person about just how much his art has been a really big influence on my own illustration for years now, but this'll do I guess.

So, thanks Wayne.

My question would probably be whether you still paint traditionally or have moved completely digital. If the former, I have no idea how you work so fast.

Also where can I get poster-sized versions of your covers?

Thanks for your interest in my artwork.

All of my artwork is created using traditional methods - Acrylic on 3mm artboard. I don't use any digital technology to touch -up or enhance the image. I'm just more comfortable using paint & brush.

I'm contractually unable to make prints of my artwork over a certain size. However, I think Paizo occasionally release promotional poster sized versions of the core book covers.

Contributor

Darrell Impey UK wrote:
Wayne, have you ever considered (or actually done) slipping a certain magically gifted London bobby into a Pathfinder piece?

I'm very careful to keep various IPs that I've worked on separate. No matter how good they are. :)

Contributor

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Vhayjen wrote:

I have to say Imrijka has always looked the best to me as far as all Iconics are concerned. Now, Quinn is especially cool; but in the end, Imrijka still wins as my favorite piece of art.

Great job on her, Wayne!

So my question is . . . how do I go about asking her out on a date? You know, dinner and a movie. Maybe bring her to meet the parents and such like family and friends.

I suppose you would have to give your blessing on such a matter, correct?

Just refer to me as Curious in Charlotte . . . :)

Dear Curious in Charlotte,

I'm very pleased that you like my artwork of Imrijika.

I was assured by a good friend of mine that best way impress a lady was by dressing as a hedgehog and hanging around leafy borders and shrubbery.
I must admit that this hasn't worked for me yet and I may have chosen the wrong animal to emulate when it comes to initiating any kind of social interaction when someone approaches due to a tendency to curl up into a tight ball until they lose interest and go away.
Now I think of it, my good friend is actually a hedgehog.
However, I am confident that should this strategy ever meet with success, then she's a keeper.

Let me know how it turns out.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This something to do with the 97+% drop in British hedgehog numbers over the last 50 years?


Have you ever illustrated Reiko without her mask? Or does one not see her without her mask and live to tell the tale?

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Triphoppenskip wrote:
Have you ever illustrated Reiko without her mask? Or does one not see her without her mask and live to tell the tale?

When I designed Reiko for Ultimate Combat I was asked to provide a portrait sketch of her without her mask and hood on. I guess it's never been released?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
Triphoppenskip wrote:
Have you ever illustrated Reiko without her mask? Or does one not see her without her mask and live to tell the tale?
When I designed Reiko for Ultimate Combat I was asked to provide a portrait sketch of her without her mask and hood on. I guess it's never been released?

*goes looking* - her portrait sketch is on p. 191 of Visions of War.

Here's a question - do you recall any details from the art order for the cover of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting?

I believe that's the first rendition of the Whispering Tyrant. I'm curious if the helmet (which one of his signature artifacts) was part of the art order or something you came up with.


Wayne Reynolds wrote:

When I designed Reiko for Ultimate Combat I was asked to provide a portrait sketch of her without her mask and hood on. I guess it's never been released?

Not that I remember seeing.

Zhangar wrote:

her portrait sketch is on p. 191 of Visions of War.

Ahhh now I know where to look. Been meaning to pick up a copy of this forever anyway.

Thanks to you both.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Zhangar wrote:
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
Triphoppenskip wrote:
Have you ever illustrated Reiko without her mask? Or does one not see her without her mask and live to tell the tale?
When I designed Reiko for Ultimate Combat I was asked to provide a portrait sketch of her without her mask and hood on. I guess it's never been released?

*goes looking* - her portrait sketch is on p. 191 of Visions of War.

Here's a question - do you recall any details from the art order for the cover of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting?

I believe that's the first rendition of the Whispering Tyrant. I'm curious if the helmet (which one of his signature artifacts) was part of the art order or something you came up with.

Thanks for the pointer towards the sketch portrait of Reiko.

The art description for the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign setting contained visual reference of the Whispering Tyrant. He was an already established character from a Game Mastery minis set; http://paizo.com/products/btpy7ux8?GameMastery-Encounter-The-Vault-of-the-W hispering-Tyrant


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Awesome thread, Wayne, thanks for it!

I noticed Zadim has what looks like a claw pendant on his chest in his portrait. Any clues about where it came from?

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Garrett Guillotte wrote:

Awesome thread, Wayne, thanks for it!

I noticed Zadim has what looks like a claw pendant on his chest in his portrait. Any clues about where it came from?

Thanks Garret.

It's a claw from some sort of large (And dangerous)animal.

I believe Erik Mona wrote the background for Zadim? Maybe he knows the exact origin of The Claw?

I don't have any input into the background stories for the characters. I just provide the visuals and leave the background writing to the experts. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ha... was worth a shot!

One last question: my favorite covers of yours are Ultimate Campaign, the NPC Codex, and the Monster Codex. I really like how much personality and detail everyone gets, not just the iconics, and I always crack up at the duergar's stick figures on the Monster Codex cover. Were there specific inspirations for those covers?

Contributor

11 people marked this as a favorite.
Garrett Guillotte wrote:

Ha... was worth a shot!

One last question: my favorite covers of yours are Ultimate Campaign, the NPC Codex, and the Monster Codex. I really like how much personality and detail everyone gets, not just the iconics, and I always crack up at the duergar's stick figures on the Monster Codex cover. Were there specific inspirations for those covers?

Thanks Garrett.

There weren't any one particular source of inspiration for these covers. Compositions like these are usually a result of visualising elements from a written description. If the descriptions have a lot of elements to fit in then it's a case of creating compositions that best show all of the elements.

The NPC Codex in particular was a lot of fun to illustrate and has been to date, the longest I've ever spent on a single piece of artwork. (About 16 (12 hour) days)
I wanted to create lots of small stories within the image to illustrate the interaction between the people in the tavern. These cameos aren't actually part of the product itself. They're just the sort of thing that goes through my mind when I'm depicting something. Whenever I'm creating a character I always think about what their story is and what motivates them.
Thinking of small scenarios helped me to focus the composition for this piece.
There's something simple like the City watchmen pointing at a potential felon.

Or a drow sat in the shadows.

Then there's an assassin disguised as a prostitute talking to a dwarvern sea captain. His half-orc barabarian body guard is looking suspicious with good reason because she's got a dagger hidden behind her back. Is she about to strike?

The dwarven waitress has a hammer - shaped birthmark on her right shoulder. Is she the last heir of drawrvern royaly? Maybe that's why the smoke from Ezren's pipe is forming into the shape of a crown!

Ezren and Merisiel are looking at the floorplans of a building with a Halfling Ranger. The Owl belongs to the Halfling Ranger. It's just spotted the Weasel who's just stolen the key for the chest under the table. (Ezren's protection circle doesn't work against weasels)

The blacksmith is appraising to see if he can repair the broken crest on Kyra's helmet.

Valeros is buying poison antidote from the Gnomish Apothecary.

One of my aims with this illo was to get players and GMs thinking about the events happening in the tavern and use the ideas in their own games. So your version of events works just as well as mine.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wow, that's fantastic! I love pieces that allow the viewer to get lost in it for hours. Kind of like an awesome album cover (you younger kids will have to look that up :)

I'll echo what many others have said - thanks for doing this thread! It's facinating! For instance, I was very surprised to hear you don't employ any digital tools to your work. There is a richness and a crispness to your pieces that can sometimes be hard to achieve with traditional processes (unless you're really good at what you do, of course:)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Gentleman Reynolds,

Which of the Iconics harbors a secret(s) that you may have placed hints using your art.

Bonus Question.

Have you ever created any Star Wars artwork.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

This thread rocks. It's been needed for years.

But one question for the Paizonians: why is Wayne just a "Contributor"? He needs a better title!

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kvantum wrote:

This thread rocks. It's been needed for years.

But one question for the Paizonians: why is Wayne just a "Contributor"? He needs a better title!

Director of Style*!

*This position comes with no salary or benefits.


I'll be honest, I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been already asked. Sorry if it has been.

Why are so many character's swords essentially elongated triangles?

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Gentleman Reynolds,

Which of the Iconics harbors a secret(s) that you may have placed hints using your art.

Bonus Question.

Have you ever created any Star Wars artwork.

Errmm. Seltyiel wears his trousers inside out so the studs point inwards.

;)

Artwork I've created for other products is little off-thread. I'd kinda like to keep this thread about Pathfinder art and characters. Apologies for not answering the question on this thread but I'm happy to send you a list of other works if you PM me.

Contributor

Lord Twitchiopolis wrote:

I'll be honest, I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been already asked. Sorry if it has been.

Why are so many character's swords essentially elongated triangles?

Other than Oloch, I'm not aware that I've depicted any of the other iconic characters with triangle - shaped blades.

Black Sovereign from Pathfinder RPG Adventure Path # 89 - Palace of the Fallen Stars has a triangular - shaped blade. Maybe they were both made in the same part of Golorion?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Valeros's swords often get redrawn as elongated triangles.

Contributor

Ross Byers wrote:
Valeros's swords often get redrawn as elongated triangles.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
"Other than Oloch, I'm not aware that I'VE depicted any of the other iconic characters with triangle - shaped blades. "

Other artists may interpret my designs differently.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sometimes I wish you did landscape versions of the covers like the one you did for the NPC Codex. They are awesome!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Haladir wrote:


I was also wondering if you took inspiration for your design of the iconic hunter Adowyn from Rose Leslie's portrayal of Ygritte in the HBO version of Game of Thrones?

Don't forget Merida from Brave.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

"You know nuthin' Voltron."

Dark Archive

1) Happy Easter!

2) What is that item in Sajan's *other* hand. 'Cause it *looks* like a big fat joint, and I'm pretty sure it's not. :)

(Although that would certainly be one way to get all zen...)

Handle to brass knucks? Potion of bull's strength in smokable form? Inquiring minds want to know!


Was the inquisitor's red hat a reference to Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition skit? Either wayit is aamazing. Love your work.

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nick Pruitt 769 wrote:
Was the inquisitor's red hat a reference to Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition skit? Either wayit is aamazing. Love your work.

Thanks Nick.

The wide - brimmed hat was part of the art description. Not sure if it was a reference to the Monty Python sketch or not?
I based the rendition on a cross between a cowboy hat and a cardinal's hat.

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:

1) Happy Easter!

2) What is that item in Sajan's *other* hand. 'Cause it *looks* like a big fat joint, and I'm pretty sure it's not. :)

(Although that would certainly be one way to get all zen...)

Handle to brass knucks? Potion of bull's strength in smokable form? Inquiring minds want to know!

They are knuckle dusters made from horn known as "Hora". Commonly used by the Indian Jettis.


Really enjoying this thread especially the design notes. Any plans to collect the original iconics descriptions, design sketches and final artwork into a hardcover art book ?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yetaxa wrote:
Really enjoying this thread especially the design notes. Any plans to collect the original iconics descriptions, design sketches and final artwork into a hardcover art book ?

Thanks.

You can find original sketches and final artwork in my collected artbook here; http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qac?Visions-of-WAR-The-Art-of-Wayne-Reynolds -Hardcover


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What did you draw on in designing Alahazra's headdress? Is Shardra's headdress the dwarven version of it?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wayne,
Sheila Heidmarch, what is in the viles that she wares, and are they suspended from her pouch? Also is her belt woven fabric or leather same as the green chest pieces are they padded leather armor or are they just rigid cloth? I have a lot of questions about her but I will stay with these for now. Are there and full around pictures of Sheila Heidmarch out there in high def? My wife is looking at doing this as cos-play. She is a historical costumer and she wants to make sure that it is as accurate as possible.

If needed I will ask outside the forum.

Thank you for bringing the Iconics form and life. I love your work and look forward to more in the future.

151 to 200 of 569 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Questions about Iconic Character Art? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.