Questions about Iconic Character Art?


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion

251 to 300 of 569 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Also, as one person pointed out to me, in Golarion when being accosted by an elf or any race that lacks dark vision you're actually safer in a dark alley than one that is well lit.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
LazarX wrote:
Of all the iconics, Damiel is fast aapproaching top of the list of those I don't want to meet in a dark alley... or a lighted one for that mattr. That boy is just not right in the head.

He's an alchemist, it goes with the territory. Mercury fumes and all that...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love Imrijka!!! I'm going to cosplay her for competition at a convention next year.

Can you do a little blurb about her costume design next? Also, on the iconic art, there is a corner of a linen coloured cloth with what looks like writing coming from her back, seen behind her bow. What is that and how is it attached to her?

Thanks a bunch!

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fillasawfickle wrote:

I love Imrijka!!! I'm going to cosplay her for competition at a convention next year.

Can you do a little blurb about her costume design next? Also, on the iconic art, there is a corner of a linen coloured cloth with what looks like writing coming from her back, seen behind her bow. What is that and how is it attached to her?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for your request. I'll bear it in mind.

The corner of linen is a kind of stole or length of vellum "scroll". There's one attached to the back of each shoulder underneath her caplet. (you can only see one in that image)

Look forward to seeing your finished costume.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Do you think that the chainsaw Amiri picked up in Wrath of the Righteous should be a permanent addition to her equipment?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
Do you think that the chainsaw Amiri picked up in Wrath of the Righteous should be a permanent addition to her equipment?

Nope.

I think the changes you see being made to Iconic characters in Adventure Paths or supplements are meant to be temporary illustrations of events that could take place in that instance or scenario. Making permanent changes to the Iconic characters in that way kinda defeats the whole concept of having "Iconic" characters?

Dark Archive

I've been trying to do some character design and I simply have to say first off, you are a master at what you do.

When you design a spellbook-based iconic like Ezren or Seltyiel, do you design a spellbook to go with them? (I don't think I've ever seen one from your artwork, but I may be mistaken...)

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Zavas wrote:

I've been trying to do some character design and I simply have to say first off, you are a master at what you do.

When you design a spellbook-based iconic like Ezren or Seltyiel, do you design a spellbook to go with them? (I don't think I've ever seen one from your artwork, but I may be mistaken...)

Thanks Zavas.

I didn't design spell books for Ezren or Seltyiel.
Shortly before I illustrated Ezren I'd painted the image for Karzoug from the Rise of the Runelords adventure path. Karzoug is holding a (now very recognisable) spellbook so I wanted to stay clear of the "Mage - holding - spellbook" image for Ezren for fear of duplicating visual elements from Karzoug. I gave Ezren a bunch of scrolls instead. The map case seemed to fit with my concept of Ezren better than a book.

Seltyiel was initially described to me as a Fighter/Mage so a book didn't seem to fit with his image.

Maybe it's time for me to add a spellbook into the equipment of the next spellcaster I illustrate?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now that official images of at least two psychic Iconics have been released, what can you say about choosing color schemes for characters?

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Abyssian wrote:
Now that official images of at least two psychic Iconics have been released, what can you say about choosing color schemes for characters?
Abyssinian wrote:
One thing that caught me off guard, though, was the Psychic Iconic’s overall color scheme. I altogether expected, for whatever reason, a saffron and gold color scheme. Is there anything in particular that inspires you as to a given commision’s overall color-scheme?

I thought a combination of blue, gold and red looked better.

I stayed away from predominantly yellow and red because they kinda have cultural meanings and I didn't want people to misinterpret any implications by my use of them.
Sometimes I'll choose a colour scheme that distinguishes one character from another. For example, I'd already used a lot of sandy yellow colours in the depiction of the Occultist and didn't want to repeat a similar palette for the psychic.

I think those are the only two characters from Occult Adventures that have been previewed so far? I'm sure there's more to come soon. Very exciting!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
the Haunted Jester wrote:
For the upcoming Occult Adventures, can you give us a lil' detail on the significance of the Skull to which the Occultist is holding in his hand? Is it the Skull of a high level wizard or a lost daughter of a long dead matriarch?
All I can say at the moment is that it's a skull with various symbols of occult significance etched onto it. Sorry for the vague answer.

Is the skull's name Bob?

;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Not specifically regarding an Iconic...but I had to ask...
One thing I have noticed on your version of the Duergar...is pointed ears.
What inspired you to go that direction ?
And please don't stop....I really like it ;)


Arnim Thayer wrote:
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
the Haunted Jester wrote:
For the upcoming Occult Adventures, can you give us a lil' detail on the significance of the Skull to which the Occultist is holding in his hand? Is it the Skull of a high level wizard or a lost daughter of a long dead matriarch?
All I can say at the moment is that it's a skull with various symbols of occult significance etched onto it. Sorry for the vague answer.

Is the skull's name Bob?

;)

Or Oliver? :D

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
nighttree wrote:

Not specifically regarding an Iconic...but I had to ask...

One thing I have noticed on your version of the Duergar...is pointed ears.
What inspired you to go that direction ?
And please don't stop....I really like it ;)

In my imagination, Duergar have pointed ears.

I find that pointed ears in conjunction with the grey skin and dark eyes, just makes them seem a bit more sinister.
It's also another anatomical variation that distinguishes a duergar from normal dwarves.


Wayne Reynolds wrote:

In my imagination, Duergar have pointed ears.

I find that pointed ears in conjunction with the grey skin and dark eyes, just makes them seem a bit more sinister.
It's also another anatomical variation that distinguishes a duergar from normal dwarves.

Well I hope other artist's pick up the trend ;)

Thanks

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Wayne Reynolds wrote:

The weirdest renditions of my Iconic characters I've seen is fan art depicting them doing things to each other probably best not mentioned on a public forum.

Well, it's the internet. No piece of artwork is safe from this.

Best to be flattered, then move on.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just seen the finalised exhibitors list for UK Games Expo'..

**Happy dance**

Contributor

Darrell Impey UK wrote:

Just seen the finalised exhibitors list for UK Games Expo'..

**Happy dance**

Yep! I'll be at Games Expo UK next weekend. You can find me at the Travelling Man booth on Saturday and Sunday.

Let me know if you want a specific print and I'll see what I can do.
Look forward to seeing you then.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I genuinely don't know which of your works are available in print, but I'm more than happy to wait and find out what calls to me from the display.

See you on Saturday. :)

Contributor

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Awesome Cosplay

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
Awesome Cosplay

Very nice. Amusingly, I recognized Damiel first, despite not really playing alchemists.

And thank you for sharing your insights on the artistic process.

Dark Archive Vendor - Fantasiapelit Tampere

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love your work, the amount of detail on your work is astounding, but pain in the ass when painting miniatures :D

My question concerns my third favorite iconic, Shardra. Did you come up with her weird chainmail-cloak, or was that part of the character description? If it was your idea, is there any real-life basis to it?

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rosgakori wrote:

I love your work, the amount of detail on your work is astounding, but pain in the ass when painting miniatures :D

My question concerns my third favorite iconic, Shardra. Did you come up with her weird chainmail-cloak, or was that part of the character description? If it was your idea, is there any real-life basis to it?

Thanks Rosgakori.

Shardra was a pretty tricky character to illustrate. The difficulties were with conveying that shamanistic quality but at the same time giving her combat abilities. If I made her too armoured she'd look like a fighter. If I didn't put enough armour on she'd look too much like a spellcaster.
The cloak was my idea. To my knowledge, there isn't a real - life counterpart. The shape of the cloak was always part of my concept idea for Shardra. Combined with her head piece it gave her a conical silhouette - A bit like a mountain. I thought the shape fit with a dwarven character. I'd tried incorporating sections of maille under the cloak but it wasn't working. She was looking too combat orientated. After a few frustrating tries, I came up with the idea with making the cloak her armour. On hindsight, I'd have like to have put some buckles on the sides so she could tie it up.
My initial concept had Shardra barefoot, wearing a simple breechcloth and halter underneath the maille cloak. I wanted to show more tattoos on her skin which I felt would be very in - keeping with the Shamanic concept. However, I figured this rendition would probably offend too many people so I covered her up a bit more.
I think of all the Iconics, Shardra would be the one I'd go back and change the most.

Dark Archive Vendor - Fantasiapelit Tampere

2 people marked this as a favorite.

That's interesting. I sure would be interested to see Shardra 2.0 And thank you! This thread is pure platinum.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've always loved your artwork and your attention to detail.

Your illustrations of Sarenrae have made her my favorite deity.

Can you explain more of the creative process behind her? Probably more than a 'super Kyra'?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
I think of all the Iconics, Shardra would be the one I'd go back and change the most.

Maybe you'll get commissioned to design a mythic Shardra.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Distant Scholar wrote:
Wayne Reynolds wrote:
I think of all the Iconics, Shardra would be the one I'd go back and change the most.
Maybe you'll get commissioned to design a mythic Shardra.

Maybe? Though I've only designed Mythic versions of Alain and Balthazar so far.

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Seannoss wrote:

I've always loved your artwork and your attention to detail.

Your illustrations of Sarenrae have made her my favorite deity.

Can you explain more of the creative process behind her? Probably more than a 'super Kyra'?

Thanks Seannoss.

I'm really pleased that you like the design of Sarenrae.

I take a different approach when designing mythical creatures and massively powerful entities than when I'm creating characters. It's easier to add aspects that don't require any explanation such as floating items or magical effects. Because these items are the way they are due to powerful or divine magic beyond mortal understanding - No other explanation needed.
I kinda had to retro - design Sarenrae because I'd already illustrated Kyra when I received the art description for Gods & Magic. My design parameters were to create a winged fire - haired goddess with a flaming sword. I also had to make an obvious connection that Kyra is a priestess of this deity. In essence, Sarenrae is a "Super Kyra". I combined elements of Kyra's costume with elements from the holy symbol that she holds in her hand. (Just illustrating an entity that looked exactly like the sculpture wasn't an option. I had to add more visual aspects to convey the divine power of this being)Because of the magical nature of the subject I could add voluminous flowing robes and more Persian - style decorative objects which floated as if suspended by divine will or blown by some ethereal breeze. I was hoping to create a being that was both elegant and powerful.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Seems the art for the occult Iconics have appeared on there tumbler page is it okay to ask questions about there art desighns now or better to wait till actual release?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
p-sto wrote:
Also, as one person pointed out to me, in Golarion when being accosted by an elf or any race that lacks dark vision you're actually safer in a dark alley than one that is well lit.

Very few alleys are that truly dark, that Humans can't see to some extent. They are however generally nicely full of shadowy niches for folks employing stealth. And if you don't have the perception, not even darkvision will help you.

Contributor

Kevin Mack wrote:
Seems the art for the occult Iconics have appeared on there tumbler page is it okay to ask questions about there art desighns now or better to wait till actual release?

I can answer questions regarding visual aspects but not background stuff. For example; From a visual PoV, the skull held by the Occultist is just a skull with mysterious runes on the crown. Any other properties or magical powers the skull might (or might not) possess is the descicion of the Paizo design team. You'll probably have to await the exciting "Meet the Iconics" for the full story on that one.

Grand Lodge

All pathfinder iconic characters where designed by you, except for four (although you did draw the first artistic repesentation of their race on Golarion IINM).

There are clearly certain aspects missing from these characters:

For example:
Poog's unholy symbol is nowhere to be seen.
Reta's halfling corset clearly lacks historic research.
Mogmurch's outfit seems to have no alchemical supplies at all.
Chuffy's facial skin condition doesn't seem as bad as could be.

Will we ever see Wayne Reynolds' interpretation of these characters?


I noticed the kineticist has what looks like a hockey stick, so what is it? and is there story behind why it looks like a hockey stick?

Contributor

Auke Teeninga wrote:

All pathfinder iconic characters where designed by you, except for four (although you did draw the first artistic repesentation of their race on Golarion IINM).

There are clearly certain aspects missing from these characters:

For example:
Poog's unholy symbol is nowhere to be seen.
Reta's halfling corset clearly lacks historic research.
Mogmurch's outfit seems to have no alchemical supplies at all.
Chuffy's facial skin condition doesn't seem as bad as could be.

Will we ever see Wayne Reynolds' interpretation of these characters?

Not in the near future.

(Not really my place comment on another artist's renditions of fun characters I didn't design)

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
I noticed the kineticist has what looks like a hockey stick, so what is it? and is there story behind why it looks like a hockey stick?

I designed it as a cross between a hockey and a hurling stick. Maybe it's for a Golarion game called "Hocking"? ;)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Auke Teeninga wrote:
All pathfinder iconic characters where designed by you, except for four (although you did draw the first artistic repesentation of their race on Golarion IINM).

When we say "iconic," we mean a very specific thing—it's a character that is intended to be a representation of a specific class. None of the goblin characters you mention are iconics. Wayne has designed all of our iconics.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vic Wertz wrote:
Auke Teeninga wrote:
All pathfinder iconic characters where designed by you, except for four (although you did draw the first artistic repesentation of their race on Golarion IINM).
When we say "iconic," we mean a very specific thing—it's a character that is intended to be a representation of a specific class. None of the goblin characters you mention are iconics. Wayne has designed all of our iconics.

True (although I have seen the 4 goblins referred to as the iconic goblins).

After running the Beginner Box and some PFS scenarios for my nephews, I ran We Be Goblins for them. I explained what the goblins could do and the youngest (7 at the time) said: 'So Reta is a Goblin Valeros, Chuffy is a Goblin Merisel, Poog is a Goblin Kyra, and Mogmurch is a Goblin Ezren?'. In his mind the Iconics were the Classes!

Scarab Sages

Have any of the new iconics been given a name yet that's been released? I'm really interested in the Vudrani Psychic ... I can't help but wonder, Wayne, if they specifically don't tell you a name when they give you an art order.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

We generally name them only after we see the art, so that we give them a name that we think "fits."

Scarab Sages

Vic ... that's a pretty cool way to do it. I hadn't ever thought of that. So, obviously, Wayne doesn't know the name when he's doing the art.
...
So, has the name of the new Vudrani Psychic gal been released yet? I was trying to look it up today, and couldn't find it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:

Vic ... that's a pretty cool way to do it. I hadn't ever thought of that. So, obviously, Wayne doesn't know the name when he's doing the art.

...
So, has the name of the new Vudrani Psychic gal been released yet? I was trying to look it up today, and couldn't find it.

We haven't yet done any of the meet the iconics for the Occult Iconics yet. For this week and the next, we're in pretty hard-core Inner Sea Races mode 24/7, so I don't suspect we'll really be able to turn our attention to the iconics for at least a few weeks.

The goal is to get their names and stories out there before Gen Con. But like all goals... sometimes you miss. We'll see; stay tuned!


WAR, is the sign that the spiritualist is doing in the main pic the Golarion equivalent of the horns of heavy metal? \m/

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:

Vic ... that's a pretty cool way to do it. I hadn't ever thought of that. So, obviously, Wayne doesn't know the name when he's doing the art.

...
So, has the name of the new Vudrani Psychic gal been released yet? I was trying to look it up today, and couldn't find it.

We haven't yet done any of the meet the iconics for the Occult Iconics yet. For this week and the next, we're in pretty hard-core Inner Sea Races mode 24/7, so I don't suspect we'll really be able to turn our attention to the iconics for at least a few weeks.

The goal is to get their names and stories out there before Gen Con. But like all goals... sometimes you miss. We'll see; stay tuned!

But the tags are the names right? Asking since the vigilante had a name tag. It caught my eye because my new bard is also named Miroslav.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Morris wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:

Vic ... that's a pretty cool way to do it. I hadn't ever thought of that. So, obviously, Wayne doesn't know the name when he's doing the art.

...
So, has the name of the new Vudrani Psychic gal been released yet? I was trying to look it up today, and couldn't find it.

We haven't yet done any of the meet the iconics for the Occult Iconics yet. For this week and the next, we're in pretty hard-core Inner Sea Races mode 24/7, so I don't suspect we'll really be able to turn our attention to the iconics for at least a few weeks.

The goal is to get their names and stories out there before Gen Con. But like all goals... sometimes you miss. We'll see; stay tuned!

But the tags are the names right? Asking since the vigilante had a name tag. It caught my eye because my new bard is also named Miroslav.

Not always.

And especially not in the Vigilante's case, since as far as I know, that illustration's still in progress and does not yet exist. The art we used for the vigilante in the blog post (assuming that's the one you're talking about) is pick up art from somewhere... not sure where. We do have a lot of art.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Morris wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:

Vic ... that's a pretty cool way to do it. I hadn't ever thought of that. So, obviously, Wayne doesn't know the name when he's doing the art.

...
So, has the name of the new Vudrani Psychic gal been released yet? I was trying to look it up today, and couldn't find it.

We haven't yet done any of the meet the iconics for the Occult Iconics yet. For this week and the next, we're in pretty hard-core Inner Sea Races mode 24/7, so I don't suspect we'll really be able to turn our attention to the iconics for at least a few weeks.

The goal is to get their names and stories out there before Gen Con. But like all goals... sometimes you miss. We'll see; stay tuned!

But the tags are the names right? Asking since the vigilante had a name tag. It caught my eye because my new bard is also named Miroslav.

Miroslav Petrov is the name of the artist that illustrated the piece used in the blog post.

Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
the xiao wrote:
WAR, is the sign that the spiritualist is doing in the main pic the Golarion equivalent of the horns of heavy metal? \m/

:)

It's actually an old European hand sign to dispel bad luck. I figured it's inclusion would add a level of bygone superstition to the old lady.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My first thought on seeing her was "Granny Weatherwax", which is not a bad thing.

BTW, I've still got your dodgy Scottish fiver if you ever want it back. :)

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Loving Rivani; is that a Wayfinder over her right shoulder?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

On the topic of Rivani, does that symbol on her brow stand for anything in particular, or just look cool?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Darrell Impey UK wrote:
Loving Rivani; is that a Wayfinder over her right shoulder?

Thanks Darrell. Glad you like the artwork.

Yep, it's a wayfinder of some sort.

251 to 300 of 569 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Questions about Iconic Character Art? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.