Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

223,651 to 223,700 of 236,557 << first < prev | 4469 | 4470 | 4471 | 4472 | 4473 | 4474 | 4475 | 4476 | 4477 | 4478 | 4479 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

The worst one for me was Fred. I think its pretty hard to find a closer relationship for two people to have then twin brothers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My wife is upset that I have started referring to the children as "for dinner". Apparently that isn't what she meant when she told me to "call the children for dinner".


What are we having for dinner?

you're sick!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

So I'm going to attempt an analysis of The Tick. Note that my only exposure is Amazon's rendition. (I know there's a cartoon, and I assume there're comic books as well.) Anyway, here goes. Spoilered for wall-of-text, not for spoilers:

** spoiler omitted **...

As someone who avidly read the comics (Back off, kid. We're a hedge.), watched the cartoon AND the Warburton series, I absolutely love the new Tick on Amazon. The casting and the writing just make me so danged happy. When *I* am unable to find fault with something, well... okay, I'm probably ill. Be that as it may. TICK IS AWESOME.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

So I'm going to attempt an analysis of The Tick. Note that my only exposure is Amazon's rendition. (I know there's a cartoon, and I assume there're comic books as well.) Anyway, here goes. Spoilered for wall-of-text, not for spoilers:

** spoiler omitted **...
As someone who avidly read the comics (Back off, kid. We're a hedge.), watched the cartoon AND the Warburton series, I absolutely love the new Tick on Amazon. The casting and the writing just make me so danged happy. When *I* am unable to find fault with something, well... okay, I'm probably ill. Be that as it may. TICK IS AWESOME.

If there is anything you want to see from the series in real life let me know.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

*SIGH*. Not quite as proud of my kids as I thought.

Impus Major continues to be a Force of Awesome, both agreeing to a 2-week extension of his banishment from Whimseyshire so I can store the Celica there, and being perfectly happy to have "New Kid" over.

Impus Minor vetoed New Kid's visit because he "doesn't like him".

I have to work out whether it's an actual personality thing, or whether it's just discomfort because New Kid is "different". I can accept the former. If it's the latter, part of maturity is accepting those with whom you're not necessarily comfortable.

** spoiler omitted **...

I haven't read anything after this post yet, so I may not be up to speed on latest info.

I'm also the parent of an autistic child. The Adult Kid (27 in a few weeks) has a couple forms of autism as well as a mental condition that makes the whole recipe difficult to manage. When she was a teen things were very tough at times. "Is this particular behavior simply because she's 15, or is this because her brain is really not properly translating the words we're saying, or is this because of the other issue?"

Parenting styles *have* to change as a kid ages *no matter what* the kid has going on. Things that work when the kid is 9 has no bearing on what's happening when they've turned 12. And whatever you're trying to do when they're 12 has very little hope of still working by the time they turn 13.

Autism is in no way a single condition that you can just pull out a handbook and say "OH, we just have to do THIS instead! Solved!" What Lynora goes through as a parent is completely unrelated to what I went through because our kids' forms of autism are not even remotely close to similar.

And yet...from that description NH gave and without being there (ALL THE DISCLAIMERS)...I see a parent that doesn't know how to adapt to the changing landscape of her kid. The teen years are hard with any kid. The kid is close to being an adult and they know it, but they're nowhere near as ready or mature as they think they are. The mistakes made during those years are amplified in severity. The more restrictive you are the harder they try to fight, yearning for freedom.

She has to see that regardless of his autism, he's a growing kid first. He's not a set of unchanging conditions to be managed. And unfortunately, he probably can't tell her that on his own either. He's going to need someone to speak for him before things get out of hand, and just as importantly, she needs to be willing to listen. Left unchecked, I see a volcano that will eventually erupt, and it won't be pretty.

But again, I'm no expert. I'm simply experienced at what happened with The Adult Kid, for good and bad.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

So I'm going to attempt an analysis of The Tick. Note that my only exposure is Amazon's rendition. (I know there's a cartoon, and I assume there're comic books as well.) Anyway, here goes. Spoilered for wall-of-text, not for spoilers:

** spoiler omitted **...
As someone who avidly read the comics (Back off, kid. We're a hedge.), watched the cartoon AND the Warburton series, I absolutely love the new Tick on Amazon. The casting and the writing just make me so danged happy. When *I* am unable to find fault with something, well... okay, I'm probably ill. Be that as it may. TICK IS AWESOME.

A guy I knew 20+ years ago was *really* into The Tick. He was a friend of a friend, and while I liked the guy at the time, I still considered him to be rather odd.

Let me say that again, because I find it terribly important. I considered him to be rather odd.

Since then, I've found out more information from a female friend who also knew him back then, and my opinion of him got much, much worse. Stuff I didn't know at the time. If I had, my life may have turned out much differently as a potential convicted felon.

I could not get into The Tick when he tried to introduce it to me back in the mid-late 90's, and it's been kind of tainted by mental association with him ever since.

Given what I know of LM, and how her tastes and mine match fairly well in some areas of entertainment, I may be able to trick my mind into associating it differently and give it another chance.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Autism is in no way a single condition that you can just pull out a handbook and say "OH, we just have to do THIS instead! Solved!" What Lynora goes through as a parent is completely unrelated to what I went through because our kids' forms of autism are not even remotely close to similar.

I think anyone who wants to understand autism needs to meet our three: One is totally independent, has utterly no use for people, and will not do anything for you unless you explicitly tell him to. He just does his own thing, and everyone else in the world is an annoyance until he decides he wants to talk to them.

The next is the aforementioned "shy guy".
And the third is the least functional of the three, but so sweet-natured you practically think of him as having Down's Syndrome rather than autism.

Anyone interacting with the three of them without knowing any better would call them three completely disparate things.


I used to be a magician, and used trap doors in the floor to escape from inescapable situations. But I grew tired of it. It was just a stage I was going through.


I'm working on a history of lubricants. It's non-friction.


I've been thinking about the paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I'm not sure if they're the greatest in the world, but they're certainly up there.


I refuse to invest in Lipton, Tetley, or Twinings. After all, money doesn't grow on teas.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I have low blood pressure. He wrote me a prescription for assembling two IKEA wardrobes.


Spelling is important. Mix up two little letters, and your word is urined.


You're late with them today.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.

*you're


gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.


Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.


gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.

If I accept that you would have to accept my ambivalence for " ' " and since I don't see that happening here we are!


Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.
If I accept that you would have to accept my ambivalence for " ' " and since I don't see that happening here we are!

Ah, but capitalization (or lack thereof) does not typically change one word into another. A change in spelling can.


gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.
If I accept that you would have to accept my ambivalence for " ' " and since I don't see that happening here we are!
Ah, but capitalization (or lack thereof) does not typically change one word into another. A change in spelling can.

"china", uncapitalized, is a plate. "China", capitalized, is a country.

"comet" is an astronomical object. "Comet" is a cleaning powder.
"burgundy" is a color, and a wine of that color. "Burgundy" is the French region that produces the wine.
Similarly, "cheddar" is a cheese, and "Cheddar" is an English city where the cheese became known.
A "jack" lifts cars up, but if a "Jack" can do that I wouldn't want to fight him.
"coke" is most properly the term for a fuel product made from destructive distillation of coal via high heat. "Coke" is the well-known synonym for Coca-Cola, which gets its name from the original (but LONG since discontinued) use of coca leaf extracts (i.e. cocaine) in the drink.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

throws oxford comma in between gran and vid

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!


I think the oxford comma is more of a choice then a necessity.

No response so clearly I have won.

Shadow Lodge

NobodysHome wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Autism is in no way a single condition that you can just pull out a handbook and say "OH, we just have to do THIS instead! Solved!" What Lynora goes through as a parent is completely unrelated to what I went through because our kids' forms of autism are not even remotely close to similar.
I think anyone who wants to understand autism needs to meet our three: One is totally independent, has utterly no use for people, and will not do anything for you unless you explicitly tell him to. He just does his own thing, and everyone else in the world is an annoyance until he decides he wants to talk to them.

This sounds a lot like me tbh....

Shadow Lodge

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
I think the oxford comma is more of a choice then a necessity.

I think you're wrong =)

"We invited the strippers, Stalin and Hitler."
"We invited the strippers, Stalin, and Hitler."


4 people marked this as a favorite.

All I heard is Orthos ordered some strippers! My boss bought a party bus this spring, I'm sure if we invited him along he'd let us use it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Cheddar is also money.

Coke could mean cocaine.

Jack, is an a&%*#%$.


Happy whatever day it is for non specific reasons!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh, and for the record, I was talking with the solar site manager yesterday and he said, "Yeah, thanks for sending me that schedule about the parking! Made it really easy to prioritize you so we wouldn't have to deal with all that."

So it was a combination of being ornery with the invaders and communicative with my company. And I'm sure a bit of being nice.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Family weekend. I packed just one book and internet is s&+!. I have been bored for hours amd it is glorious.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Autism is in no way a single condition that you can just pull out a handbook and say "OH, we just have to do THIS instead! Solved!" What Lynora goes through as a parent is completely unrelated to what I went through because our kids' forms of autism are not even remotely close to similar.

I think anyone who wants to understand autism needs to meet our three: One is totally independent, has utterly no use for people, and will not do anything for you unless you explicitly tell him to. He just does his own thing, and everyone else in the world is an annoyance until he decides he wants to talk to them.

The next is the aforementioned "shy guy".
And the third is the least functional of the three, but so sweet-natured you practically think of him as having Down's Syndrome rather than autism.

Anyone interacting with the three of them without knowing any better would call them three completely disparate things.

And allow me to add a fourth with my experience. You know after a five minute interaction with my brother that there will never be any level of independence. Ever.

I have no idea how my parents do it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:

I think the oxford comma is more of a choice then a necessity.

No response so clearly I have won.

Don't make me come over there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Captain Yesterday, Boob Brained wrote:
All I heard is Orthos ordered some strippers! My boss bought a party bus this spring, I'm sure if we invited him along he'd let us use it.

reads apocalypse checklist

Hmm. Seems we are indeed another day closer to the end.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Fun trips down memory lane.

Tiny T-Rex, as a toddler, used to call Winnie the Pooh "Poopie Bear".


11 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Lack of comma costs company $5 million

"Ending a case that electrified punctuation pedants, grammar goons and comma connoisseurs, Oakhurst Dairy settled an overtime dispute with its drivers that hinged entirely on the lack of an Oxford comma in state law.

The dairy company in Portland, Me., agreed to pay $5 million to the drivers, according to court documents filed on Thursday."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why does NobodysHome insist on having a laser printer at home?

"Oh, the California Driver's License handbook is 132 pages? Gee... on my inkjet at roughly $0.25 a page for ink that's pretty expensive. On my laser printer at $0.035 a page for ink I really don't care..."


NobodysHome wrote:

Why does NobodysHome insist on having a laser printer at home?

"Oh, the California Driver's License handbook is 132 pages? Gee... on my inkjet at roughly $0.25 a page for ink that's pretty expensive. On my laser printer at $0.035 a page for ink I really don't care..."

I love laser printers. I eventually want to get a color laser printer.


Sharoth wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Why does NobodysHome insist on having a laser printer at home?

"Oh, the California Driver's License handbook is 132 pages? Gee... on my inkjet at roughly $0.25 a page for ink that's pretty expensive. On my laser printer at $0.035 a page for ink I really don't care..."

I love laser printers. I eventually want to get a color laser printer.

I have a high disposable income and yet those have continued to elude my grasp.

Some day, when we stop going on trips, I'll actually manage to get one...

EDIT: Wow.... looks like they've gone down quite a bit in price. Unfortunately, now they're all trying to come prebundled with auto-refill crap.

Can you just sell me a &$%&$&* printer and let ME order the ink when I need it?

Scarab Sages

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Family weekends. Old traditions. Like doing weird dances to the music on the radio while doing the dishes with my dad.

Shadow Lodge

Freehold DM wrote:
Captain Yesterday, Boob Brained wrote:
All I heard is Orthos ordered some strippers! My boss bought a party bus this spring, I'm sure if we invited him along he'd let us use it.

reads apocalypse checklist

Hmm. Seems we are indeed another day closer to the end.

Not if it isn't true.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Are you saying stocking up on paint stripper would accelerate the end of this miserable space rock? To Menards, away!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hey now, some of us are enjoying our time on this space rock!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.
If I accept that you would have to accept my ambivalence for " ' " and since I don't see that happening here we are!
Ah, but capitalization (or lack thereof) does not typically change one word into another. A change in spelling can.

"china", uncapitalized, is a plate. "China", capitalized, is a country.

"comet" is an astronomical object. "Comet" is a cleaning powder.
"burgundy" is a color, and a wine of that color. "Burgundy" is the French region that produces the wine.
Similarly, "cheddar" is a cheese, and "Cheddar" is an English city where the cheese became known.
A "jack" lifts cars up, but if a "Jack" can do that I wouldn't want to fight him.
"coke" is most properly the term for a fuel product made from destructive distillation of coal via high heat. "Coke" is the well-known synonym for Coca-Cola, which gets its name from the original (but LONG since discontinued) use of coca leaf extracts (i.e. cocaine) in the drink.

Cheddar isn't a city, it's a small-ish town, with a gorge. They like to age the cheeses in nearby caves. (To be a city in the UK, you need to have a cathedral, or I think you can get city status on the whim of the Monarch as well).

In other news, I saw the world champion sandwich board wearer today, checking his phone while carrying around a sign saying:

WAKE UP SATAN'S BRAINWASHED CATTLE

On his back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes! Let it begin!!

Grinds craters together in anticipation.


Limeylongears wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Your late with them today.
*you're

Leave me alone I'm working.

Also its *You're* because it started a sentence.

I think we've established my occasional ambivalence towards capitalization.
If I accept that you would have to accept my ambivalence for " ' " and since I don't see that happening here we are!
Ah, but capitalization (or lack thereof) does not typically change one word into another. A change in spelling can.

"china", uncapitalized, is a plate. "China", capitalized, is a country.

"comet" is an astronomical object. "Comet" is a cleaning powder.
"burgundy" is a color, and a wine of that color. "Burgundy" is the French region that produces the wine.
Similarly, "cheddar" is a cheese, and "Cheddar" is an English city where the cheese became known.
A "jack" lifts cars up, but if a "Jack" can do that I wouldn't want to fight him.
"coke" is most properly the term for a fuel product made from destructive distillation of coal via high heat. "Coke" is the well-known synonym for Coca-Cola, which gets its name from the original (but LONG since discontinued) use of coca leaf extracts (i.e. cocaine) in the drink.

Cheddar isn't a city, it's a small-ish town, with a gorge. They like to age the cheeses in nearby caves. (To be a city in the UK, you need to have a cathedral, or I think you can get city status on the whim of the Monarch as well).

In other news, I saw the world champion sandwich board wearer today, checking his phone while carrying around a sign saying:

WAKE UP SATAN'S BRAINWASHED CATTLE

On his back.

Or, and I'm just thinking outside the box here, get in this huge iron kettle with free Wi-Fi to twiddle on your phone while you baste... I mean, marinate, yourselves.

You can even check your Facebook status while you're cooking... I mean, relaxing.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Woran wrote:
Family weekends. Old traditions. Like doing weird dances to the music on the radio while doing the dishes with my dad.

My aunts nearly ruined the Beatles by singing and dancing to it while doing the dishes before opening presents on Christmas Eve.

I understand they were gifts, but it really felt like we earned those action figures.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

So I'm going to attempt an analysis of The Tick. Note that my only exposure is Amazon's rendition. (I know there's a cartoon, and I assume there're comic books as well.) Anyway, here goes. Spoilered for wall-of-text, not for spoilers:

** spoiler omitted **...
As someone who avidly read the comics (Back off, kid. We're a hedge.), watched the cartoon AND the Warburton series, I absolutely love the new Tick on Amazon. The casting and the writing just make me so danged happy. When *I* am unable to find fault with something, well... okay, I'm probably ill. Be that as it may. TICK IS AWESOME.
If there is anything you want to see from the series in real life let me know.

So... you're going to come to my house, dress up in a blue lycra outfit, and casually knock out walls to remodel my kitchen by beating up bad guys in it?

It must be Christmas again already!


Woran wrote:


Haha, we are both LARPers. We can do reasonable acting. Also, I lost my sense of shame ages ago.

Honestly, I think if we adopt a kitty apprentice, there wont be much happening, because kitty will play with the ropes. Altough that is also fun.

Hehe…

Have so sense of shame either, though that for a couple of different reasons...faulty brain-wiring included.
Still...
Your playful attention makes me feel appreciated ^^'

*Sends hugs and snuggles*

Woran wrote:
Yep. Winter can come back now. Musquitos are out. I'm done with the nice weather. Back to freezing please.

*Groans*

Yea tell me about it! I'm sought out by the buggers like I'm some kind of open bar for mosquitos.

Woran wrote:
Family weekend. I packed just one book and internet is s!%@. I have been bored for hours amd it is glorious.

Just got home myself yesterday from the annual (family) Easter-dinner at my grandmothers. It was fine...a bit boring, but still nice and cozy in that 'several generations dining together, discussing the world situation, arguing over politics and telling old stories' kind of way.

Still...
Good eating, fairly pleasant company and some good laughs...all in all a pretty good time.

Just a Mort wrote:
Yeah Ive been in a grouchy mood of late too. Closed down Ironfang Invasion, decided that it's not worth it trying to make things work. I guess I should admit I'm suffering from burnout and just don't do anything more on the RPG end.

*Picks up Mort kitty and puts her down on his lap, while giving her many scratchies*

Anything I can do to help lighten your mood Mort?
And don't feel bad about having some RPG burn-out, its something most of us deal with on occasions. I usually deal with it either by taking a break or just shift to/learning a new 'system' to play around with.

Sharoth wrote:

[whining]Cancer sucks![/whining]

** spoiler omitted **

~pulls out a box of duct tape~ Alrighty. You can now tape my mouth shut. After all, silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

No need to excuse yourself Sharoth, your worry is very understandable.

I too hope your mother can get her surgery over and done with, so her healing can begin.

LordSynos wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

I wish you the best luck Synos, and hope you two can find some kind of last relationship-solution that benefits all of you (you, her and the children).

lisamarlene wrote:

I'm having the problem that my husband, my kids and I all have the day off and everyone is annoying the snot out of me.

*Sends hugs, back-pats and a glass of Rum*


6 people marked this as a favorite.

This next post is mostly for Drejk.

My daughter yesterday referred to the Warsaw Mermaid as the "Warlock Mermaid".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

So I'm going to attempt an analysis of The Tick. Note that my only exposure is Amazon's rendition. (I know there's a cartoon, and I assume there're comic books as well.) Anyway, here goes. Spoilered for wall-of-text, not for spoilers:

** spoiler omitted **...
As someone who avidly read the comics (Back off, kid. We're a hedge.), watched the cartoon AND the Warburton series, I absolutely love the new Tick on Amazon. The casting and the writing just make me so danged happy. When *I* am unable to find fault with something, well... okay, I'm probably ill. Be that as it may. TICK IS AWESOME.

It really is!

I might be a little dense, but literally just last night I realized what Brown Tingle is a reference to. This show just keeps on giving!

223,651 to 223,700 of 236,557 << first < prev | 4469 | 4470 | 4471 | 4472 | 4473 | 4474 | 4475 | 4476 | 4477 | 4478 | 4479 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.