Bugbear Shadow Sneak

Aunders's page

Organized Play Member. 132 posts. 2 reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist.


RSS

1 to 50 of 132 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mwangi elves! I'm so excited for this!


My group personally doesn't really care what the subject is about when it comes to high level APs, we're just feeling kind of starved when it comes to high level play.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

This is so good! I'm so happy to see this level of content for the Starfinder system. I really really enjoy the different Weal and Woe sections!


Am I the only one who absolutely hated it?

Ending Spoilers:
I just can't get behind how rushed all of this was? I feel like the endings we got for these characters could be good if we had the time to explore and bite into the ripples that theses choices made? Bran straight finesses the throne and wasted everyone's time in my opinion (when it comes from a viewer standpoint). All the unnecessary build up with Arya and her White Horse for it to literally mean nothing? Tyrion's "the most clever man in westeros" turned out to be the biggest lie there was in the canon apparently. There are so many more complaints, but then I'd be like any other GoT Fangroup on facebook right now...

I just can't shake the bad taste that this season has left in my mouth. I feel like it's not that I'm upset about how character's story lines ended as much as I am how little detail they put into these characters in what was suppose to be an astounding climactic ending to a just-under-a-decade show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Anorak wrote:
Elves are so grumpy in Starfinder! :P

I know! I love it!


Personally I very much enjoyed the 3 part format. I just want a 1-18 Starfinder adventure at this point. While Dead Suns and Aeon were really good, I just miss the detail and depth of the APs the scale further out. Feels like a lot more bang for your buck.


I just noticed on the artwork that each of those space between the pillars are actually portals of some sort! You can see vines from the plant one reaching through!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Fillable would be absolutely fantastic. This would mean I could work on characters in my downtime at work lol.


Product Description wrote:
"Twelve character classes, including the alchemist, barbarian, bard, champion, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, and wizard!"

Did they rename paladin?! That's an interesting development!


Ravingdork wrote:

"Against one's nature" should not be conflated with "following orders."

They are not remotely the same.

In this scenario they kind of are? Azlanti view every other species out there, including Pact World Humans, as inferior species worth nothing except for to enslave and bring under the heel of the Star Empire. If their orders are to capture and kill the "filthy aliens," I feel like their orders and nature align almost exactly.


Ascalaphus wrote:
I suggest sitting down with your player and hammering out in which situations Charm Person would be good and when it won't be, and then giving him the choice of learning a different spell if he decides it isn't worth it anymore.

I like this idea a lot, we will have time to do this between sessions because we only play once a month. That being said, how do you specifically feel about the spell? What situations are good for Charm Person or not good in your opinion?


Xenocrat wrote:
Pathfinder introduced the "all the world's my friend" version of Charm in, I think, Inner Sea Intrigue. It solves this problem by making the targets stop fighting anyone and agreeing to help everyone who asks.

So what are you refering to and what point are you trying to get across, I'm not sure I understand?


Oh I definitely don't think we're arguing here at all. <3 Whole reason I'm posting here is so I can hear other people's ideas? I'm still slightly heated, because the conversation at the table went less than ideal but that's why I'm here, so I can get other GM's opinions on how this should play out.


Fair enough! Thanks for clearing that up for me, it sounds so much more intense on paper than it does when you work the math out.


So 70 ft. in a move action pans out? I guess i'm still wrapping my mind around the Scifi of it, 70 ft. movement speed in pathfinder is pretty crazy.


Pantshandshake wrote:


If the charmer's friends shot the charmed target, then yes. *Edit* Because this is in the rules of the spell. The ‘unlikely’ clause and GM intervention don’t need to show up for this example, because the rules tell us how it works. *end edit*

If the charmer's friends shot the charmed target's original friends, then no, not by the rules of charm. *edit* This example could invoke GM discretion and the 'unlikely' clause. Could, but doesn't have to.

My thought process here is the Azlanti already see everyone in this colony as "less-than-Azlanti" and they're all here

AtAT Spoilers:
as cadets in training to become aeon guards. The book specifically expresses them as having something to prove because their combat experiences can lead them directly to a promotion. They've cowed the whole settlement and see the PCs as interlopers that need to be put down, as per orders from their immediate supervisor.
.

Because of that, I still have a hard time accepting that the charm would apply to anyone other than the person who casted the spell, and any sort of violence to the NPC or the NPCs around the charmed NPC would be enough to -at the very least- spurn an opposed check because it goes against his nature to not return fire.


Pantshandshake wrote:

Sure, fine, somewhere in the back of the Azlant's mind, maybe he's aware something isn't quite right.

Doesn't matter. He's still charmed. And he'll go ahead and be Friendly with the charmer unless the charmer attacks him, or an 'unlikely' reason to stop being Friendly shows up.

Such as the charmer's friends shooting at him or his allies?


So I've got a player who is -really- wanting to play a Naur Solarion+Blitz Solider, and apparently he's gotten this thing up to a 70 ft. movement speed per move action. It doesn't make me feel good to have a PC that can move that fast in a turn, but what do you guys think? I'm probably being the odd man out by having a problem with that.


So I feel like I didn't do the best to describe the situation. Group of 4 PCs set up an ambush to attack three Azlanti soldiers. The witchwarper wants to charm person one of the Azlanti before the shooting starts to convince him to -not- attack any of the PCs (because we're friends, and I'm telling you not to attack my friends), all the mean while when the other PCs shoot the non-charmed Azlanti, this wouldn't break the charm because the spell text says "Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the charmed creature breaks the spell." and the other PCs aren't targeting the charmed creature specifically.

Still, I have to say, it still doesn't make sense to me given the current situation. My major hang ups are that the Azlanti doesnt speak common, are specifically hunting for the PC's to capture/kill, the party within the same round would be opening fire on the Azlanti's squad (which doesn't directly threaten him, but they're a part of a trained military unit???).


So here's a bit of a recap; Last night me and my crew were playing Against the Aeon Throne (NO SPOILERS) and we're fighting some Azlanti who were specifically dispatched out to find them and kill them. Now they had set up an ambush of sorts given that they were waiting on the Azlanti to show up. One PC (our witchwarper) wants to charm person one of the Azlanti and convince him not to shoot at him or his team mates, in front of the two other Azlanti beside him.

Now my thoughts here are that the spell would function and that if successful that the Azlanti would not fire on the Witchwarper, but for him not to attack the witchwarper's allies goes against their nature since the whole reason they're out and about is to find and capture/kill the PCs?

In my opinion even though the Azlanti is susceptible to the spell Charm Person, this doesn't make him allies with the allies of the Charm Person, especially if they're here to hunt them specifically - and to further complicate this, he also doesn't believe that if he's successful, that his team mates firing on the Azlanti's team members wouldn't dispell the charm person because the attacks do not directly target the charmed person?

Another point that the witchwarper brought up was that the charmed person treats you as its trusted friend and ally, and that because of the charm that the Azlanti would listen to suggestions that he gives him ("Don't shoot my friends"), but that still seems like a conflicting order that goes against their nature? Especially given their dislike for anything non-azlanti.

Also, the Azlanti didn't speak common, and the Witchwarper doesn't speak Azlanti.

What do you guys think? How does charm person work in this sort of scenario?


So last night in my game I had a PC drop below zero. The ghoul went to go tie the wizard up with some moldy rope when the PC was like "No, he's got to grapple me first." To keep the game going, we said we'll resolve it after the game when we can look up the rules (as not to bog down the fight.)

"If you have your target pinned, otherwise restrained, or unconscious, you can use rope to tie him up. This works like a pin effect, but the DC to escape the bonds is equal to 20 + your Combat Maneuver Bonus (instead of your CMD). The ropes do not need to make a check every round to maintain the pin. If you are grappling the target, you can attempt to tie him up in ropes, but doing so requires a combat maneuver check at a –10 penalty. If the DC to escape from these bindings is higher than 20 + the target’s CMB, the target cannot escape from the bonds, even with a natural 20 on the check." - Rules as per "Tie Up"

To me, this doesn't sound like I have to grapple the target first like my PC is saying, because I've already got them unconscious, but am I doing it wrong? Does that ghoul have to spend it's first turn grappling a below zero creature, just to make sure it's holding it right so it can tie it up next turn? Or could the ghoul just tie up the creature on it's first turn rather than the second because the creature is unconscious?


Summersnow wrote:

I also gave up on Starfinder because of Herolabs handling of the Character generator and what I expected to happen with the miniatures kickstarter, which actually looks to have turned out far worse then my worst expectations.

With the new Pathfinder 2.0 and its Herolabs program also being online only and the future of PF 1.0 in doubt I'm having a hard time justifying any purchases for either system.

It really bothers me that Paizo allowed my love of there games to end because of bad decisions by 3rd party partners and what looks to be lack of oversight or caring on Paizo's part.

I really feel like this is the wrong mentality to blame Paizo for the failings and business choices of other companies that offer 3rd party products for the game? Like as much as I like Herolab for PF1, I'm not going to let their subscription model stop me from playing PF2 - if PF2 is bad, that's what will stop me from playing it, not some separate entity.

Edit: And you could argue that the products have Paizo's name on them, which is true and I understand that point, but I also see that these products have no bearing on the game itself. They're not required, and they're not really advertised on the Paizo website despite having Paizo's name on it.


Whats new with the Kayal?


Little bit of thread necromancy but has anyone got anything else to say about Hero Lab Online now that it's been out for a while? Are people still using it? Is it worth the money?


How does one become a GM for Pathfinder/Starfinder Society?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Would you like to know more?


Jason Keeley wrote:
thecursor wrote:
Yeah, yeah, everybody's all excited about the Kyton's rebranding but let's get real here: I can has Fetchling play stats?

No, but you CAN play as a kayal.

*wink*

yes yes yes YES YES YES


This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. That being said, Paizo has stolen my homebrew campaigns right out of my head TWICE now. Dang near word for word with this one. D: Good job guys, you know exactly what I like.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Anyone else think the person on the cover is an interesting choice? I mean usually Paizo puts the villain of the book on the cover, which would mean that this Lashunta is a follower of Iomedae from what I can tell? Interesting...


Marco Massoudi wrote:
Aunders wrote:
Do we have a street date for this yet?
January 30th will be the street date for all january Paizo products.

You're the best. Thank you.


Do we have a street date for this yet?


This is amazing! I'll be running my first session of this adventure today and I found this just in time. You're a legend.


Getting ready to run this adventure for a group of mine. Any notes that anyone might have to a DM about to run this adventure?


So my PCs party make up has changed greatly before they started book 2, and so far there are zero surviving PCs from the opening of book 1, which makes the Skinsaw Man's letters a lot...harder for me to put together? What are some suggestions on how to handle these notes left behind?

Also, opinions on replacing Grayst (the lead taken the the sanitorium) with Orik, since he was spared in their encounter and allowed to leave?


Marco Massoudi wrote:

The box art says 52 cards, the description says 53 - which will it be?

I've been using the Starfinder condition cards to good effect, but i'm not really hot for these (yet).
Some sample art would be nice.

If it's anything like the ones for Pathfinder there really won't be much artwork. Each card for Pathfinder has a bunch of different effects depending one what weapon you're using to deal the crit with so much of the card space is filled with text.


Any cool new info on the Azlanti?


Feed me Solo!


Any news if this book contains new creatures from the Swarm?


Anyone else dying to get their hands on more content related to the swarm? I absolutely love Starship Troopers and would be so excited to play an inspired campaign using some of these bugs. The two in the AA are really cool, but is anyone else dying for an AP involving them? Has anyone used them in their homebrew games, and if so in what way?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
jakemtl wrote:
I am really hoping that this is not going to wind up feeling like a video game converted to Starfinder as the plot description implies.
What does this even mean?

He doesn't want the adventure to bite off the plot from games such as Dead Space or Doom, or so I assume. Personally, I don't think we have anything to worry about that. Paizo are such great story tellers that even if there are similarities, the end product will be something completely unique to the Starfinder setting.


I like the idea that you guys are mixing in two 3-part campaigns with one 6 part campaign in a year. That gives us a bigger pool of adventures to pull from, allowing us to mix and match to make a story we want! I just hope that the adventures don't stop at a hard cap of 13-14 like Dead Suns did, or if they do, you guys have a 14-18 AP to tack onto it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Childeric, The Shatterer wrote:

Shouldn't this have been like the 1st starfinder product, instead of coming in a year or so later?

Better late than never I guess.

Yes and no. While yes, it would have been great to have a starting box from the get go, they also had to create the game before hand. Putting all of the rules and what not together in one book was a mythic task in itself, and then they had to gauge the customer reaction to the product to see if it warranted such a product. I assume Paizo sees Starfinder as a selling good-enough selling product to spend the time and energy on a starter box now, as well as upping their production times with more releases this up coming year. I get your point, but I also believe the Pathfinder beginner box didn't come out with the first edition of Pathfinder and came along much later.


Honestly, I have no problem limiting my PCs in what races they can pick from. I'm not willing to the the gymnastics to make your Trox Paladin of Shelyn fit into my Carrion Crown campaign. In Starfinder, there are still complicated species like the Greys and Reptoids, but as far as restricting a race due to size, I think that's a little overboard. If they want to play their large sized species, they should expect to get used to the squeeze rules.


Marco Massoudi wrote:

I assume that "The Dawn of Flame" is the 4th Starfinder adventure path?

From the sound of it, it seems that all of the AP takes place inside the "bubble cities" which make up the "burning archipelago" around the sun.
I don't know how i feel about that.

They've already said it had to do with the sun, but judging from what other information that was gleamed from Paizocon, as well as the Pact Worlds book, we'll probably be going into the sun and the elemental plane of fire.


Me and my group have been toying around with the ideas of this AP. Personally, I think that

Kind Maybe Spoiler:
that the PCs are following in Aroden's footsteps to some degree and bring him back into the fold for the near end of the AP. My thoughts are that Aroden and some other super powerful NPCs go toe to toe with the Tyrant while the PCs hunt down the phylactery.


David knott 242 wrote:
Aunders wrote:
So, this product has my interest but I'm slightly confused on what it is? Is it a book full of different customization options for the listed races? Or is it like a printable Pawn thing?

Neither. It is a bunch of racial descriptions for various Starfinder races converted to the Pathfinder rules.

Oh! I understand now!


So, this product has my interest but I'm slightly confused on what it is? Is it a book full of different customization options for the listed races? Or is it like a printable Pawn thing?


Do we know how these cards will work? Will it bring back some level of crit-confirming, or will it just be you roll a 20? Draw a card!


I was DMing Dead Suns for my party when I caught a player of mine cheating in one of the many combats. I caught him say that he rolled a natural twenty, when I watched the die land on something like a 15. Now I've had trouble with this guy before, he seems to want to do things like this when things hit the fan and it looks grim for the party.

What I did was I started watching him closely after that, and each time I caught him cheating (which was only once more after that event) I stored a "Natural 20" that a monster in a future fight gets to hit them with.

Dead Suns Book 2:
This proved to be a very exciting moment for me when at the Temple of the Twelve Panelliar "rolled" two natural 20s on him with his wounding solar weapon - cutting off one of the dude's legs and an arm, essentially crippling him for the combat encounters to come until the mechanic was able to engineer him a makeshift leg out of gun parts.

The problem with this is it doesn't really confront the problem and just leaves you on the side of a vengeful DM which never is the best idea, but I think in my case the point got through to him. I believe after the event was all said and done another player talked to him about the cheating and explained what happened and why it happened, and he's either gotten better at lying and hiding his rolls, or it stopped the problem.


I like the idea of mixing and matching AP's to fit, but we're going to go two years without an AP that takes you beyond level 12? I understand that higher level content doesn't sell as well as lower level stuff, but I know that my group was very disappointed that it capped at 12. We're fine with the cap not being all the way at 20, but we were hoping for something more around the 16-18 level.

1 to 50 of 132 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>