DM Brainiac's Seven Dooms for Sandpoint Table 1

Game Master Brainiac

Reputation: Bunyip Club: -4, Runewatchers: 5, Sandpoint Cathedral: 17, Sandpoint Mercantile League: 1, Scarnetti Consortium: -10, Town Watch: 0, Townsfolk: 0


301 to 350 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Viviana is baffled by the conundrum of red wings. She nods to Helmut, "I think a nice beverage would do us well. We could make sure the crowds are settled, and we're not hearing any signs of trouble or worrying rumors swirling about."

She pauses and folds her arms with a frown "I do not trust the Scarnetti's at all."


Chapter 2: Strange Times in Sandpoint

Soon after sunrise the next morning, Abstalar Zantus sends word via an acolyte for you to return to the cathedral. He meets with you once more on the courtyard veranda in the cathedral, and while he appears a bit haggard, he’s eager to speak to you about what took place the night before. Audrahni attends this meeting as well, but is dressed for travel.

"I thank you for your aid in the ritual. Ashava will be pleased at the good work we did in helping Nualia's troubled spirit," Audrahni says. "I must depart now. I'm headed back to my home town of Roderic's Cove. I wish you luck in your adventures ahead."

Abstalar thanks the elf for all she has done, and as she leaves, she squeezes Abstalar's shoulder and nods farewell to you.

Once Audrahni has left, Abstalar thanks you once more as well. "You all heard what Nualia said last night. What do you make of these 'seven dooms' she mentioned?"

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

"From what she said it sounds like some sort of god-like entity is watching over Sandpoint and is going to send a series of ever-increasing-difficulty challenges against us." Siobhan says with a grimace. "Dooms is probably just because someone thought it would be a good title but it's going to be hard none the less. Nualia made it sound like she and Chopper might have been two of the dooms? But that's probably wishful thinking."

She frowns and then continues. "This 'red wings' is probably the architect of the whole thing - so sort of Brainiac, a mastermind type. They'll be the one we really have to watch out for."


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut arrives at the cathedral chewing his recently devoured breakfast. The goblin smells like burnt sausages and lemon.
Da Brainiac definitely bees da ones ta watch out fer! She bees sneaky and full of dem shananagins....

The Thaumaturge then considers the previous days ritual.
Dat Nualia bees really hates da Sandpoint and da peoples. Not too certain if all her information bees good, but des Seven Dooms bees not good.


Abstalar nods. "Indeed. Seven was a particularly important number in old Thassilon. Seven virtues, seven sins, seven runelords. I doubt it is a coincidence.

"My adventuring days are far behind me today, but I recognize the potential threat well enough. The past few decades have been difficult for Sandpoint. The town’s endured devastating fires, pattern killer rampages, goblin raids, an attack by stone giants and a red dragon, a strange and unnatural sinkhole in the middle of the upper town, and not one but two tsunamis that, but for the town’s fortuitous topography and surroundings, could have wreaked much more devastation. Nualia's unsettling proclamations has convinced me that some dire plot is brewing southeast of town, in the Pit.

"We need your help again. I want you to travel to the Pit, investigate the site, and see what is going on there. The goblin ghoul you fought mentioned Chief Ripnugget, didn't he? You'll have to see if the old chief has returned as well. Keep an eye out for any other dangers that may be building. Of course, I'll provide healing for you, free of charge, whenever you return to the chapel."

Before you leave, you can choose to do some more research in Sandpoint.

Preliminary Investigations:
Hellstorm Focus

If the PCs want to learn more about the strange slabs of stone they discovered under the cathedral, their two best bets are to seek out the aid of local sage Brodert Quink, or simply to spend time on site, examining the runes and studying the magic that infuses the Hellstorm Focus. Each research check takes 1 hour.

HELLSTORM FOCUS RESEARCH TOPIC 4
UNIQUE ARCANE LINGUISTIC

Consulting Brodert Quink: Sandpoint’s local expert on Thassilonian lore is always eager to chat about his favorite subject; Maximum RP 4
Research Checks: DC 17 Academia Lore, Library Lore, or Arcana; DC 19 Diplomacy

On-Site Investigation: The Hellstorm Focus reveals some of its secrets to those who spend time examining the site in person; Maximum RP 4
Research Checks: DC 24 Arcana or Occultism

Ripnugget Rumors

If the PCs heard Ripnugget’s name mentioned in the warrens below the boneyard during Chapter 1, they may wish to ask around town to find out if anyone knows anything more. Doing so requires a successful DC 15 Gather Information check and 2 hours of work, but regardless of success or not, anyone over the age of 25 or so who’s asked about Ripnugget curses the goblin’s name, spit, makes superstitious signs of protection from evil, or gets a haunted look as memories of the goblin raid on Sandpoint 17 years ago resurface in their mind.

Researching the Pit

The Pit has long been known to the locals as a place of danger. Simply asking around to Gather Information is an excellent way to learn more about the site; each attempt to do so takes 2 hours of work. Alternatively, a PC can attempt to Recall Information about the Pit on their own. Finally, Brodert Quink’s collection of lore likely holds additional secrets; these checks take 1 hour.

THE PIT RESEARCH TOPIC 4
UNIQUE LINGUISTIC

Gathering Information: Many locals have their own stories and tall tales about the Pit; Maximum RP 5
Research Checks: DC 19 Diplomacy

Recall Knowledge: Any PC with the right skills can attempt to remember information about the Pit; Maximum RP 5
Research Checks: DC 17 Sandpoint Lore, DC 19 Society

Consulting Brodert Quink: Brodert has a large collection of old books and tomes that contain bits and pieces of information about the Pit; Maximum RP 5
Research Checks: DC 19 Academia Lore or Library Lore, DC 21 Perception


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

THE PIT RESEARCH TOPIC 4:

UNIQUE LINGUISTICS

Recall Knowledge: Any PC with the right skills can attempt to remember information about the Pit; Maximum RP 5
Research Checks: DC 17 Sandpoint Lore, DC 19 Society

Ser Helmut pauses for a moment to consider what he actually knows about The Pit.
Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 12 + 1 = 25

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Having agreed with her friends that they will leave the next day, Siobhan heads into town and spends several hours asking all and sundry about the Pit. She expends a fair amount of coin in the process, but learns quite a bit.

I assume any more than 8 hours is pushing it!


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Gather Info: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Gather Info: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
Gather Info: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Gather Info: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Since the group decides they will take the full day to ask around town, Viviana takes the opportunity to visit and catch up with some people she's missed since she's been away. As such, her first quarter of the day isn't as productive as it should have been. After lunch, however, she gets back on track and really focuses on her assignment.


Between Helmut's esoteric knowledge and asking around town, you learn some information about the Pit. The Pit is a mysterious open shaft in the heart of the rocky escarpment known as Devil’s Platter; it’s located just over 2 miles to the southeast of Sandpoint. The safest route to the Pit is to take the Lost Coast Road south to Cougar Creek Road. Then, follow the road southeast past Trennel’s Farm and Sarl’s Farm, and turn east along Wisher’s Trail. Upon reaching Wisher’s Well, head north; the rise up to Devil’s Platter is rough but climbable there. The Pit itself is about a half-mile north of the climb.

The Pit is about 50 feet across, and who knows how deep it is since it’s always filled with fog at about 50 feet down. A few ledges lead down the inner shaft to some caves. Sources say that the Sandpoint Devil lives at the bottom of the Pit. Adventurers used to visit the Pit semi-regularly, but the place is dangerous, and these days most opt instead to seek adventure elsewhere. The latest group of adventurers to attempt to explore the Pit included Alma Avertin’s daughter, Arika, but Arika claims they ran afoul of the Sandpoint Devil. She was the only survivor.

Following up about Arika, Viv learns that while she still lives in town, she's been away for a while with a new group of adventurers. Her mother, Alma, is worried about her and asks you to keep an eye out for her. Alma can confirm Arika has been adventuring with: Adimar Scarneti and Chertus Jheed. Almaa isn’t sure where she is now—last she heard, Arika and her new group had headed south to Magnimar. Alma’s had arguments with her daughter about her adventuring lifestyle, and worries that their last fight may have driven a rift between them that might not mend—if you find her, she asks you to let her know that “Mother is worried about you and wants you to come home.”

You have earned 6/15 Research Points about the Pit. You cannot learn anymore by Gathering Information, so you'll have to either Recall Knowledge or consult with Brodert Quink to gain more RP.

***

Viviana also asks the locals about rumors regarding Ripnugget's return. There have indeed been rumors that Ripnugget came back from death, but most people regard them as tall tales or threats that the local goblins tell each other, treating him as something akin to a bogeyman or threatening those who cross them with his wrath. However, stories told by local goblins seem to confirm that he’s been haunting his old lair at Thistletop, but was destroyed by a band of Seven Tooth goblin alchemists a few years back, only for those alchemists themselves to turn up dead not long after they took his armor as a trophy. “If this is true, Ripnugget’s learned from his death and is playing it sly—which can’t be good for us!”


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

For some reason, Vyana has never been very comfortable talking to Brodert Quink. There's something about the way that he looks at her that gives her a chill, in spite of her friends' reassurances that it's entirely her imagination. But with the town in need she buries her sense of ... ick ... and pays the scholar a visit.

Research - Arcana vs DC 17: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
Research - Arcana vs DC 17: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Research - Arcana vs DC 17: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Research - Arcana vs DC 17: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

THE PIT RESEARCH TOPIC 4

Ser Helmut pauses for a moment to consider what he actually knows about The Pit....again and again! The Thaumaturge just bangs his helmet head against a tree to loosen up all those tiny nuggets of information!

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 1 = 14

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 1 = 21

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 1 = 16

The goblin is heard whistling Quiet Riot....

....he is also seen flipping pages in his Tome.


Helmut is unable to uncover more about the Pit. Vyana makes some headway in researching the chamber beneath the Cathedral. For many years, the ruined tower known as the Old Light was thought to have been an ancient collapsed lighthouse, but now that more has been learned about ancient Thassilon, the Old Light has been revealed to have once been known as the Hellstorm Flume, a powerful weapon used by Runelord Alaznist to protect her nation’s eastern border with that of Runelord Karzoug’s nation of Shalast. Despite its name, the Hellstorm Flume had no direct association with Hell itself—it was so called for its ability to emit a flume of searing fire at extraordinary range to blast approaching armies with a devastating inferno. The rooms you found are related to this weapon of war.


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

The next morning (early enough to have to break into the kitchens, cook his own eggs and bacon and coffee, eat, clean up and leave a note of
Tanks ta chefs! on a napkin), Ser Helmut is seen running to the Library!
Cramp!

THE PIT RESEARCH TOPIC 4

Ser Helmut pauses for a moment to consider what he actually knows about The Pit....again and again! The Thaumaturge just bangs his helmet head against a book shelf to loosen up all those tiny nuggets of information!

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 12 + 1 = 22

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 12 + 1 = 17

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 12 + 1 = 19

Esoteric Lore(E), Eldritch Researcher: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 1 = 26

The Thaumaturge is in there all day....

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Siobhan spends the day helping Brodert Quink tidy up. It's mostly as a thank you for his efforts on Vy's research, but Von is luck enough to actually find one or two relevant things during her housekeeping.


With a bit more research, you discover more about the Pit. There are several caves lining the Pit’s inner walls. A clan of goblins dwells in the uppermost caverns. They’re known as the Whistlefangs for their practice of drilling holes in their teeth to help them whistle loudly; it’s said they communicate this way. Adventurers have explored the Pit’s caves before, but the place is dangerous and very few come back. A while back, a group of adventurers plumbed the Pit with a rope and weight and got a measurement of 150 feet, but when they tried a second measurement from the opposite side, something grabbed the rope and pulled all but one of them down to their deaths. The surviving adventurer left the area and never returned.

You are at 11/15 RP for Pit research.

***

Word that Abstalar Zantus actually contacted Nualia’s spirit spreads quickly in the days after the ritual, fueling an already extant worry among some in town that the cleric has been tampering with forces best left alone. The rumors continue to gain power in town, and before you can leave for the Pit, Abstalar receives a missive form Mayor Deverin—notice of an emergency meeting of the town council to take place that evening at sunset to speak about these rumors. Abstalar asks you to accompany him to this meeting to help provide context and support.


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Perception DC21: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Perception DC21: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Perception DC21: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Perception DC21: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Viviana loves books so she's eager to delve into Brodert's extensive collection to do some reading. That is, of course, until she finds them all terribly dull and begins to doze off. After a few hours of reading (napping), she finally unearths a small, useful piece of information before nodding off again.


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut jumps up from his hard wood chair at the library. The goblin appears to have a few lucky pages adhered to his face. He yawns. He stretches. He takes the stacked pages from off his face, peers at them, lucks them and shrugs.
Bodyguards for the evening then. Mees best dress appropriately.

The Thaumaturge is next seen at the tailor asking for a rush job security outfits....

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

There is no doubt that Siobhan will be going to the meeting with her adoptive father and she attends in full Sarenrite regalia (having politely turned down Helmy's offered 'security outfit'). It's the first time her friends have seen her in the full formal dress of a Sarenrite Champion and although she's not tall, the rich reds and golds of the outfit suit her well.


That evening, you accompany Abstalar to Sandpoint's Town Hall. The majority of the ground floor of this two-story building consists of a meeting hall large enough to seat most of Sandpoint’s adults. Indeed, the hall's main chamber is packed with concerned citizens, including Charn Scarnetti and a dozen of his supporters. As a member of the town council, Abstalar takes his seat at the large table at the head of the hall along with the other six councillors--Jubrayl Vhiski of the Bunyip Club, Brodert Quink of the Runewatchers, Jasper Korvaski of the Sandpoint Mercantile League, Titus Scarnetti of the Scarnetti Consortium, Sheriff Hemlock's wife Kaye Tesarani representing the Town Watch, and Mayor Kendra Deverin representing the townsfolk.

Abstalar indicates that you should be seated nearby in the small seating just to the west of the table reserved for guest speakers—doing so effectively puts you on display for the rest of the room to watch, and it is hard to miss the mix of curious, admiring, and suspicious glances sent your direction from the gathered citizens.

"I hereby call this emergency meeting to order," Mayor Deverin says, quieting the murmuring crowd. "Tonight's meeting has only one agenda item. We are here to discuss whether or not Abstalar Zantus has put Sandpoint at risk by contacting the spirit of one of the town’s most notorious enemies. I need not remind most of you of the role Nualia Tobyn palyed in the goblin raids that struck Sandpoint seventeen years ago. As I recall, the decision to bury Nualia in the town's boneyard was a contentious decision, but with the advice and support of the heroes who defeated her, it was decided that doing so was the right choice."

Sense Motive, Perception DC 22:
You detect a note of impatience and annoyance in the mayor's voice at those who’ve raised so many objections about Abstalar’s concern for the safety of the town.

Mayor Deverin asks Abstalar to explain the reasoning and the process behind performing the ritual. The cleric nods, then he proceeds to explain himself clearly and patiently, despite a few catcalls and guffaws from Charn’s bloc in the audience. He doesn’t go into the details of the ritual itself, claiming that the words of the dead should not be made a spectacle of in public, but does admit that while Nualia was never a danger to the town, she did warn that other dangers still exist.

At this point, Kendra turns to you and asks you to corroborate Abstalar's story...

Each of you has a chance to speak. Once you do so, each of you should attempt a DC 19 Deception, Diplomacy, or Intimidation check, depending on the tenor of your presentation. The results of these checks will determine what happens next.


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Perception vs DC 22: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Vyana is preoccupied with trying to sink into her seat to notice anything about the Mayor's introduction. Her eyes pass over the crowd, intentionally avoiding a certain set of blue eyes that attempt to meet hers.

Diplomacy vs DC 19: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

When her turn to speak comes, the half-elf clears her throat awkwardly. "It is as Father Abstalar has stated. They summoned her spirit and while she has no love for Sandpoint, in her own way she's moved on. She did point out that danger is coming and that we should do something about it."

Her piece spoken, she drops her eyes to her boots.


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut arrives proudly attired in a professional security outfits. The little green goblin even has a freshly polished badge presented pinned to his chest. A second polished badge is seen pinned to his cop hat. As he walks slowly, purposefully down the main aisle of the chamber, Ser Helmut is seen tapping a nightstick against his palm. Slowly. Slowly. Slowly.

The serious face goblin enters the witness box. He stands an extra moment or three to survey the crowd for trouble....

Nodding his hat head in satisfaction, Ser Helmut takes a seat. Slowly. Slowly. Slowly.

Perception(E) to Sense Motive DC 22: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Not even remotely aware of any Brainiac spoiler shananagins, the Thaumaturge sits and watches....

Once his turn to give a speech is presented, Ser Helmut stands. He reaches into his satchel producing a plethora of parchment perhaps penned purposefully perchance pointedly pertaining to this play.

He slowly approaches the podium. He curses! He then is seen going to grab a chair to place by the podium. He climbs onto the chair. Now the audience can see him.
Goods evenings ta youses peoples ov da Sandpoint. Wees bees here's ta reenforces dem words delivered by da guud Father. Youses bees welcome dat wees defeated all Dem Stupids nightmare monsters about dis town fer youses. Des end! Tanks!

Taking an elaborate bow, the Goblin exits stage left!
Diplomacy(T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

The green goblin is seen running back onto the stage and proceeds to Drop the mic !

He then slowly exits again blowing kisses and waving....


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Viviana feels the weight of the town's eyes upon her as she rises to speak. She ignores the murmurs and shifting glances from the crowd and takes a deep breath, focusing on the trust she has in her friends and the truth they all share.

"Good evening, everyone." she begins, her voice steady and clear. "I'm Viviana, and I've served as a cleric of Shelyn here in Sandpoint all my life. I want to assure you that the ritual we performed was done with the utmost care and respect. Our intention was never to bring harm, but to bring peace and understanding."

"Many of you know me not just as a healer, but as someone who has been there in times of need. Kendra," she says, turning her gaze towards the mayor, "I remember treating your son when he had that terrible fever last winter. It was my honor to help, just as it's my honor to help protect this town now."

She lets her gaze sweep across the room, meeting as many eyes as she can to build a connection. "Nualia's spirit, as troubled as it was, did not present a direct threat to Sandpoint during our ritual. Her warning about potential future dangers was genuine, and we should heed it as a call to vigilance, not panic. The ritual was a necessary step to ensure we are prepared for any future threats and to seek peace for a restless soul."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

Diplomacy Aid: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Siobhan stands behind her sister and nods firmly. "With the Dawnflower as my witness, everything Viv says is true. Nualia helped us and, I hope, has found a measure of peace at last. Peace she has long deserved."

It might not have been quite the right tone to take, but Sarenrites tell it like it is.


While most of the audience is appeased and relieved by your words, Charn Scarnetti and his kin are not. One of the other councillors, Titus Scarnetti, raises a hand to indicate he wishes to speak. Kendra grants him the floor.

"Nothing good has ever come from trying to dig up the past," Titus proclaims in a bold voice. "Even the best intentioned adventuring parties can cause harm when they meddle with that which should have been left buried. I worry that if this necromantic mummer’s show isn't punished, what happens the next time when someone tries their own hand at this magic? I will concede that Father Zantus's time as Sandpoint's religious leader has been valuable and appreciated, but I wonder if, perhaps, the time has come for new leadership that allows the dead to rest in peace."

Abstalar winces at Titus's words, eliciting a smirk from the head of the Scarnetti Consortium. "At the very least, the good father should be fined for his action, should he not?"

Kendra frowns and seems ready to object, but Abstalar raises his hand. "You are correct, Titus. I will accept the punishment that you deem fit." Titus raises his eyebrows in surprise. "I apologize for taking the town's trust too far," Abstalar continues. "To atone for this, I promise to use this opportunity to donate my time, magic, resources, and funds toward improving the farm roads south of town."

This project has languished in bureaucratic red tape for years, and Abstalar's declaration turns most of the crowd’s wary fears into relieved cheers—much to Titus’s (and Charn’s) frustration.

Your Reputation with Sandpoint Cathedral and the Townsfolk has increased by 1. Your Reputation with the Scarnetti Consortium has decreased by 1.

Kendra bangs her gavel against the desk to adjourn the meeting. As everybody starts to file out, Kendra asks you and Abstalar to remain for a bit. "I want to thank you for helping to keep the peace tonight. The tonwsfolk may be satisfied with the proceedings, but I fear Titus is not. He seems to have an agenda beyong protecting the people from evil spirits, and he may well be a thorn in the cathedral’s side for some time."

The mayor gives you all an appraising look. "What do you intend to do next? You've been involved in one scandal already, so if there’s a chance you might start another, I want to be prepared."


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Viviana steps forward to address Kendra's concerns, "Mayor Deverin, we understand your concerns and the precarious situation we find ourselves in. Our intentions have always been to protect and serve Sandpoint. The ritual was a necessary step to ensure we are prepared for any future threats, as Nualia's warning about potential dangers is not something we take lightly."

She glances at her companions, "Our next steps will focus on investigating the potential threats Nualia mentioned. We plan to gather information, prepare defenses, and ensure that Sandpoint is ready to face whatever may come. We have no intention of causing any further scandals, and we will proceed with the utmost caution and respect for the town and its people."

Viviana's usual calm demeanor gives way to frustration, "Mayor Deverin, I have to express my deep concerns about Titus and the Scarnettis. They are constant troublemakers, always scheming something that ends up being a problem for this town. The way they are holding Father responsible for trying to help this town, why.. its... "

She takes a breath, her voice tinged with impatience. "It's infuriating! They were clearly responsible for stirring up that mob demonstration and making this a big deal! They are always up to no good, and it's exhausting to keep dealing with their antics."

She puts her hands on her hips, clearly irked. "What do you intend to do about the Scarnetti's?"


Kendra sighs. ”Titus and his ilk are a quarrelsome lot, but they have a lot of money and influence in the town. Much as I’d like to be able to chastise them for drumming up this drama, my hands are tied. All I can suggest is to keep an eye out for their chicanery and do what you can to avoid it. But all of this political maneuvering may seem like small potatoes next to whatever you might encounter while following up on Nualia’s warnings. Be careful, young ones. I will be praying for your safety.”


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut begins to open his mouth, as Titus "The Tight-Ass" Scarnetti voices his infuriating opinions on the matter, but (fortunately) the green goblin stands too quickly, bumping his knee on the hard (unforgiving) stone bench that he just happen to be mostly napping under.

Also, most amazingly fortunate, the green goblin was just about to voice his displeasure concerning said Asshat, but just as he opens (quite wide) his mouth a flurry of bumblebees buzz into it!

For the remainder of the meeting, poor Ser Helmut is fortunately out of service....

He is afterwards seen attempting to drink dry the fountains in town....


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Vyana seems somewhat distracted as they conclude the meeting and receive encouragement from the mayor.

"So, off to the pit tomorrow?" she finally questions, her attention returning to her friends.


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Viviana is irked, arms crossed on her chest, and an uncharacteristic frown stuck on her face as she hrumphs out of the room. The Scarnetti's always manage to get under her skin and ruin her mood. "Yes. I suppose that's where we are needed."


Chapter 3: Whistles in the Dark

The next morning, you leave Sandpoint and journey to the Pit. The Pit is located just over 2 miles to the southeast of Sandpoint, on a rocky plateau known as the Devil’s Platter. Along most of its perimeter, the rise up to Devil’s Platter is a steep escarpment of jagged rock, but there are several areas where the cliffs are more like steep slopes. One such rise lies just north of the ruins of Wisher’s Well, an ancient, 30-foot-tall stone tower with an interior that drops away into a 100-foot-deep shaft filled with water. Local legends say those who toss an offering into the depths and make a wish are granted good luck.

As you clamber up over its jagged rim of sharp rocks and boulders, you get your first unnerving sight of the Pit itself. A vast hole yawns in the rocky plateau, measuring a good fifty feet in diameter and dropping away into fog-filled shadows below. The sides of the Pit are steep—nearly vertical—and are relatively smooth, without many obvious handholds. The bottom of the Pit is shrouded by a thick layer of fog that starts fifty feet down.

A five-foot-wide ledge creeps along the eastern side of the Pit about twenty feet from the rim. A rickety-looking wood ladder leads down to this ledge from the Pit’s southern edge, and additional ladders connect even deeper ledges disappearing down into the fog layer below. The air around the edge of the pit feels colder. It’s silent within, but it feels like the type of untrustworthy quiet that could, at any, moment give vent to an unnerving scream.

Survival to Track DC 15:
There has been frequent foot traffic through this area. The vast majority of the tracks have been left by goblins, although hoofprints from what appear to be cows also lead to the edge of the Pit.

Critical Success:
Scuff marks along the Pit's edge suggest some sort of semi-regular struggle takes place here.


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Track - Survival vs DC 15: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Vyana's are constantly scanning the surroundings and the ground they walk on for signs of a threat. As they get closer to the Pit she frowns. "Goblins ... and cows," she announces, pointing to some of the tracks in the dirt.

Reaching the edge and assessing the way down, she notices different marks. Taking a moment to look them over and gauge the quantity, her brow scrunches up in confusion.

"There have been numerous fights or struggles near the edge," she adds. "Maybe they're stealing cows and pushing them over the edge?"

Shaking her head at the unpleasant thought, she leads the others around to the southern ladder. "Nothing to do but go down, I guess," she declares as she checks the sturdiness of the ladder.

"Von? You should go first. Viv next, followed by Helmy. I'll cover everyone from here and come last." She readies her bow and notches an arrow.


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut peers closely at the prints found by Vyana.
Coulds definitely bees da goblins games ov Cow Tipping....

The Thaumaturge shrugs
Wees ken counts da blood spatters on da ways down. Probably loudest and da furthest bees winnings. Except da cow. Day don't enjoy dat game.

The goblin then proceeds to take out some rope to tie around his waist.
Who bees wants to tie da knots?

Once any ceremony is resolved, the grinning Goblin begins the descent....
Exploration mode Search


The ladder is rickety-looking but actually quite sound. You climb down to the first ledge of the Pit, which is littered with a few discarded bones and broken dogslicers. From somewhere in the fog below, you hear the sound of claws scraping against stone, followed by an eerie hiss. Fortunately, whatever caused those noises remains unseen.

Von leads the way through a 6-foot-high opening in the Pit wall. The walls of this chamber are decorated with dozens of skulls harvested from a wide range of animals—deer, cows, elk, wolves, horses, and even some humans. All of the wall-mounted skulls are angled to stare down at the southern entrance to the room. In four alcoves stand taxidermy spiders as big as humans, each posed in a menacing position, while an even larger figure—a taxidermy horse with glittering gemstone eyes, “wings” made of canvas, a giant lizard’s tail stitched to its hindquarters, and a mouth filled with sharp fangs—stands vigil near two doors leading north and east. This cobbled-together monstrosity is meant to represent the Sandpoint Devil.


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Vyana snorts in amusement.

"I think the one we brought back from that manor was scarier than this one," she says with a chuckle as she lowers her bow and nods her head at the effigy of the local legend. She quickly scans the room for any magical auras before placing a cantrip of light upon Siobhan.

Moving towards the eastern door, she gestures at the champion to lead the way through.

"Ladies first," she says with grin.

Current Status/Spells:

Current HP: 48/48
Current Focus: 1/1
Hero Points: 1/3
Current Effects: n/a
Focus Spells
(1/1) Cantrips (2) - shooting star

Prepared Spells
(5) Cantrips (2) - detect magic, gouging claw, ignition, light, shield
(2/2) 1 - fleet step, grease
(1/1) 2 - blur


Vyana doesn't sense any magical auras. However, as she approaches within 10 feet of the taxidermy Devil, it lurches forward, opens its jaws, and emits a blood-curdling howl and a blast of foul-smelling gray smoke!

Everybody must attempt a DC 22 Fortitude save or become enfeebled 1 for 1 hour (or enfeebled 2 for 8 hours on a critical failure).


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut steps easily down into the Pit. The goblin feeling at home for some reason. When his eyes shine on the effigy, he begins laughing!
Dese Stupids gobbos bees Stupids.

Watching Vyana going to further inspect the Sandpoint Devil, the Thaumaturge takes out a hanky.
Fort(E) DC 22: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

The goblin sneezes!


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Fortitude Save vs DC 22: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

The half-elf stumbles back and covers her mouth and nose with her cloak.

"Dammit! I know better!" she says with a cough. "Keep an eye out for more of the same. Whoever lives here knows we're here now."

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

Fort: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Von gets a face-full of the smoke and chokes ferociously.

"I need a helmet." She manages eventually after frantic waving has dispersed the smoke. "That was horrible."

She looks a little green but takes her position at the front once more.


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Ser Helmut just stares at Von as if this little green goblin had never seen her before....
Youses bees looks guud! Youses changes youses hair?


As you are recovering from the noxious smoke, the east door opens and a goblin walks through. The goblin stops short when he sees you, eyes widening! He gasps, and you can see strange holes drilled through his teeth. The goblin then whistles in a complicated manner, and several more whistles respond from the room behind him!

Initiative:
Helmut: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Siobhan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Viv: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Vyana: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 2 = 19
Enemies: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Helmut and Siobhan may act!


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Firstly, Ser Helmut screams at the sudden arrival of a scary, deadly goblin!

Secondly, the giggling Thaumaturge retrieves a Scroll of Echoing Weapon .

He casts it on Von's scimitar!
Have da fun times! Tell Dem Stupids gobbos Mees says hi!

Dark Archive

| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:

"Together!" Von declares loudly and a momentary flash of light from high above illuminates her in the suns glow. She strides forward menacingly and levels her blade at the goblin.

"We must explore this Pit. Allow us to pass and no harm comes to you!"

Inspiring Marshal Stance: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28 Success.

Anyone attacking one of her allies gets Glimpse of Redemption.


The goblin lets out another sharp whistle as he readies his horsechopper! He steps up and slices at Siobhan, but she parries the attack. After a few moments, two more goblins spill through the door to form ranks with the first goblin, horsechoppers also at the ready!

Horsechopper: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Everybody may act. The goblins have reach with their horsechoppers so Siobhan will have to move up to attack in melee.


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Fort DC22: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Viv shakes off awful-smelling smoke and follows along at the group's rear.

When the fight breaks out, she tries to intimidate them with the terrifying words of "Hey, you meanies! Don't you know who you are messing with?!"

Demoralize: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

She then follows that up with some magical darts.

Needle Darts!: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 Piercing (bleed on crit): 4d4 ⇒ (3, 3, 3, 1) = 10


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

An arrow is drawn, enchanted, and fired at the initial whistler just as the others appear.

"On the left, Von!" she calls out.

{A}{A} Spellstrike - Longbow - Gouging Claw: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
Longbow + Spell Damage - S: 2d8 + 4d6 ⇒ (5, 6) + (1, 2, 6, 4) = 24
Longbow Deadly Damage (if crit) - P: 1d10 ⇒ 7
4 persistent bleed damage

{A} refocus Spellstrike.

Sniping Duo: If the strike hits, then Von gets +1 damage per weapon damage die on her next strike against the same goblin.

Current Status/Spells:

Current HP: 63/63
Current Focus: 1/1
Hero Points: 1/3
Current Effects: n/a
Focus Spells
(1/1) Cantrips (3) - shooting star

Prepared Spells
(5) Cantrips (3) - detect magic, gouging claw, ignition, light, shield
(2/2) 1 - fleet step, grease
(2/2) 2 - blur, dispel magic
(2/2) 3 - haste, magnetic acceleration


Male Goblin Thaumaturge [Eldritch Researcher] 5 HP 53/61 AC(T) 21/22, Fort(E)+12, Ref(E)+13, Will(E)+8 Perception(E)+8 Darkvision

Echoing Weapon Swing Von...lol

Ser Helmut reaches into his pockets, pulls out what looks to be a dog carved from soap, and stuffs it into his mouth!
Exploit Vulnerability

Esoteric Lore(E) DC standard: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

The Thaumaturge then Strides into a Flank with Von, drinks a cup of water and bites!
Melee(T) +1, Striking Jaws unarmed attack, flank: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 192d8 + 1 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (8, 1) + 1 + 4 + 4 = 18 piercing Traits Finesse Magic Implement's Empowerment, Personal Antithesis

Bees tastiest likes da chicken...

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| HP: 65/73| AC: 23[25] | F: +12, R: +6(9), W: +11 | Lore +7, Med/Perc +9, Rel +10, Dip/Itm +12, Ath +13 | +14, 2d6+4 | Speed 25ft | HeP: 2/3, Focus: 2/2 | Active conditions:
Ser Helmut wrote:
Echoing Weapon Swing Von...lol

I know! Stupid paladin code!

With Vy calling her target Von does what she needs to - striding into the three goblins with her shield ready. As the left-most goblin flinches from the arrow she lashes out and then turns immediately on the others.

"I warned you." She says sternly.

Strike: 1d20 + 14 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 14 + 1 + 1 = 262d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 1) + 4 = 6
Strike 2: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 1 + 1 = 292d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 2) + 4 = 12

One strike and shield up is better, but I feel bad if I don't try with Helmy's spell...


Vyana fires an arrow into the lead goblin's chest, a magical claw emerging when it hits to gouge the goblin's face! He shrieks and collapses to the floor. Viv hits another goblin with needle darts, then Helmut bites the wounded foe to finish him off. Siobhan cuts the third goblin down with two slashes of her scimitar.

More whistles can be heard from the next room, however, accompanied by high-pitched yips. A few moments later, four goblin dogs emerge from the doorway and rush at you! Two bite at Helmut and one bites at Siobhan.

Jaws vs Helmut: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 231d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 171d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 131d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Jaws vs Siobhan: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 261d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

The fourth one hangs back and vigorously scratches itself as it waits for an opening to get into melee! Dander floats in the air around the vile rodents!

7 piercing damage to Helmut, 8 piercing damage to Siobhan. Siobhan must attempt a DC 17 Fortitude save against Goblin Pox (Helmut, as a goblin, is immune.).

Goblin Pox (disease):
Goblins and goblin dogs are immune to goblin pox; Saving Throw DC 17 Fortitude; Stage 1 sickened 1 (1 round); Stage 2 sickened 1 and slowed 1 (1 round); Stage 3 sickened 2 and can't reduce its sickened value below 1 (1 day)


Female Human Aiuvarin Flexible Magus 5 | HP 63 | AC 22 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +9 | Perc +7 (+11 for initiative) | Spell DC 20

Vyana sends a second arrow into the beast that's facing Von, calling out guidance as she does so.

{A}{A} Spellstrike - Longbow - Gouging Claw: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
Longbow + Spell Damage - S: 2d8 + 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6) + (2, 5, 2, 1) = 18
Longbow Deadly Damage (if crit) - P: 1d10 ⇒ 2
4 persistent bleed.

{A} refocus Spellstrike.

Sniping Duo: If the strike hits, then Von gets +1 damage per weapon damage die on her next strike against the same hound.

Current Status/Spells:

Current HP: 63/63
Current Focus: 1/1
Hero Points: 1/3
Current Effects: n/a
Focus Spells
(1/1) Cantrips (3) - shooting star

Prepared Spells
(5) Cantrips (3) - detect magic, gouging claw, ignition, light, shield
(2/2) 1 - fleet step, grease
(2/2) 2 - blur, dispel magic
(2/2) 3 - haste, magnetic acceleration


Female human cleric 5 | HP:58 AC: 19: F:+11 R:+9 W:+13 | Speed: 25' | Perception:+13 | Resist: Harm Spells 5 ↻: Protector's Sacrifice

Thankfully out of vile dander range, Viv continues to send shards of metal into the pox-ridden creatures. She calls out "I think you're taking a bath tonight, sis!"

Needle Darts!: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22 Piercing (bleed on crit): 4d4 ⇒ (4, 2, 3, 1) = 10

301 to 350 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Seven Dooms for Sandpoint Table 1 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.