GM Jhaeman's "Sanctum of a Lost Age"

Game Master Jhaeman

Thornkeep Module, Tier 6-8

Maps & Handouts


1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Pathfinder! You've received an urgent summons to travel to a small town in the heart of Echo Wood in the River Kingdoms. According to the letter, a town named Thornkeep is undergoing evaluation as the possible site of a new Pathfinder Lodge in the area given recent troubles in Daggermark. Venture-Captain Adril Hestram has taken up lodgings at the Greenforest Inn there and is preparing a report on whether there are sufficient resources and local sites of interest. But disaster has struck several teams previously sent to assist him. It seems that Thornkeep itself is something of a den of thievery and murder, and a nearby ancient complex dating to the days of ancient Azlant hold terrifying dangers for those who would delve its secrets.

Thornkeep, a small town of around 500 people, lies about 10 miles from the broad, sluggish West Sellen River that winds through Echo Wood. As you approach the town, you can tell instantly that it’s a disorderly, ramshackle affair huddling on a low hill beneath the bramble-covered walls of a castle that’s also in poor repair. It’s clear no planning went into the town, as warehouses, homes, pigsties, and more appear mixed together around winding dirt tracks.

Before making the journey, you may have learned a little more about Thornkeep if you make a successful Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (Gather Information) check with the following DCs. (Rephrasing and sharing this information in your character’s voice can be a good prompt for some introductory role-playing.)

DC 10:
Thornkeep is a disorderly, ramshackle settlement on a low hill next to a castle. Several groups of bandits and mercenary companies operate out of the town, and its nominal leader, Baron Tervin Blackshield, rarely has his soldiers interfere in anything short of outright murder and rioting in the streets.

DC 15:
Several local merchants and farmers pay protection money to mercenary groups like the Blue Basilisks or to the Three Daggers, the town’s thieves’ guild. Locals rarely face trouble in Thornkeep, but outsiders without obvious means to defend themselves are seen as fair game for thieves, bandits, and brigands throughout Echo Wood. The town has one inn, facing the central square.

DC 20:
Echo Wood is home to a large tribe of goblins called the Brambleclaws; they make their living scavenging and occasionally doing odd jobs for the residents of Thornkeep. A tribe of Kellid barbarians have a more-or-less permanent campsite northeast of the town. The town has two temples: one devoted to Gorum, the God of War, and one to Hanspur, a lesser-known deity of rivers.

DC 25:
Mysterious ancient tunnels known as the Halls Under the Hill are so-named because the entrance to them lies at the base of Brokenhelm Hill. For some reason, goblins are often seen going into (and more rarely) out of the Halls. Just a week ago, a group of Pathfinders explored the third level of the Halls Under the Hill. Only two returned alive, and one of them had been subject to some kind of strange head surgery!

DC 30:
Exploration by previous delve teams indicates the Halls Under the Hill are probably ancient Azlanti in origin, and may have been the vault or laboratory of a powerful arcanist.


There does seem to be a town green of some sort, but with recent spring rains it’s little more than open patch of muddy ground at the foot of the road leading up the hill to the castle. Several businesses can be found at the edge of the green, and one of them is the Greenforest Inn mentioned in the letter. The inn and taphouse has fieldstone walls and finely carved woodwork adorning its posts and eaves. It looks like a respectable place, especially given its surroundings.

Once you enter, a balding, middle-aged man with a mustache like a bristle brush welcomes you in. "More Pathfinders! Seems like new groups show up everyday. I reckon' you'll be wanting to speak with Adril. Well, he just stepped out to buy some herbs for that sick friend of his. Should be back soon. In the meantime, sidle up to the bar and have a drink. I'm Shandar, by the way."


”Amiri” | Female CN Medium Human Barbarian 7 | HP 75/75 | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | CMD 25| F +7 R +4 W +3; +2 vs. fear; +2 vs. traps | Init +2 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Rage 13/18 | Power attack -2/+6 | Active Conditions: sword broken condition.

Anyone who looks at Luke will see a half-naked strong man. His face is dyed in color. He carry his large Bastard sword."Sorry! I did not introduce myself. My name is Luke! Luke Redwood!"

Dark Archive

Male Wayang Unchained Rogue 3/ Investigator 5 | ~HP: 46/48 | AC: 21 (16 Tch, 16 Flat), CMD:21, Fort:+3, Ref:+12, Will:+5, Init:+5, Perception:+19 (+20 for traps) / Trap Spotter 10'

Local {Clear Ear/Inspiration}: 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 11 + (6) = 30
Feel free to open all the spoilers!

Stepping lightly from around the bar, a short, veiled form waves a hand in greeting. "Greetings to you as well Luke Luke Redwood. Those in The Society call me Kivuli."

The more keen-eyed spot a glint of silver armor under his shirt. A well maintained estoc hangs from his hip.

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

During the travels you did not hear much from shy but likable Setare.

She nonetheless tries to aid Raynor Cordite to ask around in town.

diplomacy aid another on Raynor Cordite's diplomacy roll : 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 Raynor Cordite receives +4 on his gather information check due to ‘helpful’ trait.

Setare seems to be quite nervous and looks around.

She is a scrawny girl with auburn hair and amber eyes.

Her features seem Chelaxian but also have something else mixed in.

She is wearing a brown adventuring outfit, a light mithral chain shirt, has a plume on her head and carries a fine scimitar at her hip that is attached to her wrist with a very fine chain.

Around her neck a pendant with the holy symbol of Sarenrae is clearly visible.

"He ... hello Sha... Shandar ..." Setare says with a quivering voice and a shy smile.

Then she focuses on the group of Pathfinders.

"Ehhh ... it is ... you know ... I ... I don’t drink... ehh ... usually so .... I just go ... got drunk once bu ... but .. ehh ... " she says truly ashamed and then looks down to the ground.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

Gather Information, Help from Setare: 1d20 + 14 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 14 + 4 = 25

Well, the people downriver didn't lie. This look like Baron Blackshield's place in all its glory. This place needs a strong hand to turn these bandits into guards, someone hard enough to take a hold of this whole lot and have them bleed together in the woods for some common purpose. Like trolls or owlbears. As is I'm not sure the residents here could understand the concept of help freely given, and the importance of proper lawmen keeping things tidy so that trade flows of its own accord. Still. I'm here now so there's no use bellyaching about it. The maiden voyage of 'The Voracious' will see her moored near this jewel of a town, I guess... Perhaps it's appropriate for her. A penance of sorts for all the dirty deeds she had to do for Sevenfingers. The only thing Vicar Jheen will probably find to fill her holds is lumber or clay, if he's lucky... I pray the Harborwing protect him and the crew while we help Hestram evaluate this place for a Lodge. I suppose I should also commit some of those prayers to the unlucky souls who may one day be chosen to work at that Lodge...

Approaching the inn, he hands over the reins of his riding gecko to a hard looking man with a crossbow on his back, wearing leathers and carrying a cutlass. The man nods and tie it a suitable distance from his horse, making sure to dump several kilos of desiccated giant centipede chunks from a large sack, then mixing it with a large clay jug full of fruit puree into the inn's trough, in order to keep it busy and away from the nervous mare.

"Thanks for takin' care of Mozza, Coxswain Yossk. Keep a good eye on it, at least until it falls asleep with a belly full of that stuff. I'm still amazed how many voyages the beast has seen since I bought it, but in a town like this, it's probably safer down in the dark caves Setare heard about than in front of an inn. Keep that crossbow out and loaded until I can find a stable that'll take it."

Entering the establishment, the good captain shift his eyepatch from left to right, blinking a few times and taking his gauntlet off to rub the sleep gunk out of his fresh eye. Seeing the Pathfinder warriors already assembled, he nods as he approaches and orders pitchers of ale and a large beef roast with several loaves of fresh bread, along with a wheel of soft cheese. "I hope you're all hungry. All I've had is slimy Sellen carp for the last five days. Let me just say: it's nothing like sea bass or salmon, and thinking about it now, I should probably also order a whole plate of steamed local produce to help it all move along down south before we leave to whatever parts Hestram wants us to delve in the morn..."

He sits, leans his shield and lance on the wall next to him, and takes his helm off, finally relaxing for the first time in weeks and now appearing slightly less grumpy. "Raynor's the name. Pirate hunter. Used to be one as a boy, until someone knocked some sense into me. I can handle that lance decently in a fight, mounted or not, but if things get too close for comfort I can handle a good knife as well. By the grace of the Harborwing, I can also piss off undead or heal a fellow sailor, depending on the need. I'm already acquainted with Dame Katsu here, the gods bless her lovely soul, but I don't know the two of you. What makes ye tick?"

You note that the lance is well-balanced, and the knight has an assortment of daggers at his belt, over a well-maintained fullplate adorned with golden seagulls. His darkwood shield is beautifully sculpted into a stylized seagull shown in full flight, painted gold throughout on both sides.

Dark Archive

Female CG Human (Varisian) Fortune-teller and Field Scribe 8 | HP: 53/53| AC: 16( 12Tch, 14 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +6, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mage Armor(470 min), Comprehend Languages, See Invis, Heightened Awareness (70 Min),Mirror Image(9 min.), Harrowed, Blessing of the Harrow(+1 to Hit)

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14 Well, that's an ominous way to start.

A rather petite Varisian woman enters the inn, hands idly shuffling a Harrow Deck, as she peers nervously around the establishment. She has rather unruly reddish-brown hair that pools on her shoulders, which she attempts to control with a patterned kerchief, and she dresses in the bright colors that her people prefer, with a shawl covering her shoulders and several scarves wrapped around her waist. As she listens to Shadnar, she flips one of the cards up for her to look at. The Marriage....A union of ideas or things, for good or for ill. Let's see if we can lead this to a happier path..., she notes to herself before looking over the others.

Harrow draw: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (6) + (4) = 10
I'm applying this draw for my Harrowed Feat. It allows me to have a floating +2 to a roll that I can apply to anything using the stat of the card(In this case, charisma)

After a moment of staring in wonder at the Pirate hunter and his surprisingly shy companion, she smiles. "Well met, Captain Raynor. I'm Carina of the Villasani clan. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. The Harrow led me to this venture for the Society, and hopefully it will led us all through with great fortune. As for what I can do, I'm versed with magic, though I think I want to hear from the Venture-Captain before I make any major plans about what to ready."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

The sea captain rises as the Varisian lady enters the establishment, bows to her and holds out a chair for her. "Well met, Carina of the Villasani. And please, call me Raynor. I'm only Captain to those serving on one of my ships. To hear what the VC has to say before we prepare further is fine advice, Madame. I shall heed yer counsel and thus fully enjoy this inn's food and ale until I can't eat no more. After than, I plan to enjoy a stationary bed filled with fresh straw, and sleep for a long, long time. I assume that the way here was perhaps worse for some of ye, yes, and that ye'll all avail yerselves of the facilities for the next 12 hours or so... look at me, complainin' while most of the stuff was brought to my cabin all ready to go... ha ha ha! Please, sit, eat, and tell me about this Harrow lifestyle. I want to hear about it firsthand. I've been told it's not just a card game, but that there's a whole religion around it too, is that right?"

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare looks at lady Carina and the captain in awe. Although you have the impression that she would like to say something, she remains silent and looks at the floor.

When she looks up she tries to smile.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Ridley is a tall, unkempt, skinny man. He has a mop of unruly black hair, and wears a long leather jacket covered with burn marks. Underneath the jacket you see a pair of bandoleers covered with vials filled with liquids of various colors.

Um, hey guys. Name's Ridley! I know pretty much everything about everything. Raynor - did you know that carp slime actually has some interesting alchemical properties? Makes a good lubricant under the right circumstances too. You're right about the taste though...

I'm not even awar of a game that is played with Harrow decks. Harrow decks are used as a powerful divination tool by Varisian fortune tellers. The fancier decks are sometimes passed down from person to person as an heirloom. I'd guess that playing a game with such an item would be seen as disrespectful. But my knowledge is purely academic - which I find often misses much of the subtlety and nuance inherent in such a cultural tradition. I too would be interested to hear more about Harrow decks.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

Raynor rises again and shakes Ridley's hand as he rejoins the table. "See? goes to show the extent of my ignorance. All I know I learned from the deck of a ship, and I'm glad the Society is always wise enough to pair me with a bunch of educated folks who actually sat and listened to smart people! My apologies to Lady Carina. I know nothing of the Harrow, as shown by Master Ridley here, and will now sit down and listen."

Seeing Setare try to speak, he adds, "I'm sorry Dame Katsu. You were about to speak... please go on."

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare looks at the captain incredulously.

”Ehh ... I ... I ... no ... “ she says and averts her eyes.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"More ale innkeep! thanks!" says Raynor as he refills Setare's mug to its full condition, nodding to her to drink more.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Ridley pauses, listening to the conversation for a few moments...appearing to be lost in thought...

Setare...Setare... I think I've heard that name before...

Aha! I've got it. Any chance ya know a fellow named Jack? Ran into the burly half-orc a few months back in a bar. He was telling a story about a great treasure he recovered from some long dead pirate. Told tales of a fiery-haired woman that was part of their crew - quiet of speech, but fierce of heart and even fiercer with her scimitar. Might that be you?

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save
Raynor Cordite wrote:
"More ale innkeep! thanks!" says Raynor as he refills Setare's mug to its full condition, nodding to her to drink more.

Setare accepts the drink with some reluctance and nods at the Captain with an admiring look on her face.

”Tha... Thank you ... “

* *

Ridley Zane wrote:

Ridley pauses, listening to the conversation for a few moments...appearing to be lost in thought...

Setare...Setare... I think I've heard that name before...

Aha! I've got it. Any chance ya know a fellow named Jack? Ran into the burly half-orc a few months back in a bar. He was telling a story about a great treasure he recovered from some long dead pirate. Told tales of a fiery-haired woman that was part of their crew - quiet of speech, but fierce of heart and even fiercer with her scimitar. Might that be you?

When Ridley mentions Jack you can see that Setare truly blushes. But suddenly her eyes open wide and she smiles brightly. She starts to speak in an almost melodic voice and almost without any stuttering.

”Jack! Jack Escalara ... oh Jack ... what a man ... “ and she abruptly stops when she realizes where she is and that she is daydreaming in front of Ridley!

She blushes even more and looks at Ridley and then the Captain like a shy girl that was discovered doing something wrong.

”Oh ye... yes I know Ja ... Jack!! I had my fi.. first drink ever with hi... him!!“ she says shyly.

Looking at the Captain she apologetically adds ”... a ... and we were de ... definitely no pi ... pirates Sir!! I ... I swear Ca ... Captain!“

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"I wouldn't judge you if you were. I was, in my younger days. Never underestimate the lengths at which someone will go to rectify an empty belly. Eat well, everyone. It is hard to follow one's moral compass when hunger sits inside you like lump of metal."


Shandar brings out several platters of food for you, promising that Adril will take care of the expense. Fresh mutton, cheeses, and warm bread—it’s very tasty!. Occasionally the cook, Shandar’s wife Jalia, comes out of the kitchen and berates her husband for spending more time gossiping at the bar than making the rounds and serving customers at the tables in the busy taproom. It seems like the Greenforest Inn is popular in Thornkeep. And despite being strangers in town, no one looks at you twice. Shandar volunteers that Adril has brought several teams to Thornkeep in recent months, and your group is mostly humans—-not nearly as exotic as some of the groups!

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"Say Shandar, my good man, pray tell us about the other teams a little. Rosters, ancestries, pets, etc. Anything you wish to share really. By the way, this food is delicious."


Shandar starts to answer but then he looks up and says "Best to hear it from the horse's mouth."

A veritable bear of a man has just come into the inn. He has a long, unkempt, bushy beard that doesn’t mask his wide grin. He’s carrying a small bundle of something wrapped in cloth. Some of you immediately recognise Venture-Captain Adril Hestram, a Pathfinder famed for his delves into the dangerous abandoned siege towers around Absalom when he was a young agent. Seeing you, he bellows happily: ”Pathfinders! You made it! Excellent! Shandar, bring some pitchers of ale to the back room if you’d be so kind! And could you ask that lovely wife of yours to brew a special tea for Rozimus? That gnome apothecary you recommended says this stuff should do the trick.” He hands the innkeep the bundle before turning back to you. ”Follow me, Pathfinders. Once you’ve had your fill of Jalia’s cooking, we’ve much to discuss!” He motions towards a back room that would offer a little more privacy for the conversation to come, though, doubtlessly, anyone who cared to eavesdrop would be able to make out Adril’s booming voice.

Dark Archive

Male Wayang Unchained Rogue 3/ Investigator 5 | ~HP: 46/48 | AC: 21 (16 Tch, 16 Flat), CMD:21, Fort:+3, Ref:+12, Will:+5, Init:+5, Perception:+19 (+20 for traps) / Trap Spotter 10'

Kivuli hops off the stool he sat on. As the team relocates, the nimble grey form approaches all the members of the team he has yet to introduce himself to. "You sound comfortable on land and sea Raynor. Quite an accomplishment. I do hope that we stay dry this mission. I am Kivuli by the way." The captain has served with enough crews to realize that the accent of the masked man is not that of a gnome or halfling.

Shortly after, the rogue finds himself next to Ridley. With a polite tap on the shoulder, "Good day. I am known as Kivuli. I hear it is customary for agents to share formulas to keep costs down. Maybe we can find time to see if we can help one another?"

Crossing to Setare, "Salutations Ms. Katsu. You may call me Kivuli. I heard your speech impediment. I had one as well many years ago. Trouble keeping all the different languages straight. I would be happy to assist you if you would like."

Finally, the slight man purposely sits next to the harrower. "Greetings Carina of the Villasani clan. That sounds very impressive. Is the length a cultural norm? Need I say it every time, or is there a common shortening others outside the clan my acceptably use? In my case, you may simply use Kivuli."


After everyone has had their fill and filed into the backroom and found a seat, Adril sets his tankard down on the table with a definitive thump. ”Ah, the Greenforest Inn. There’s much to make life in Thornkeep miserable, but this place is the silver lining. Now, I don’t know how much you’ve been told about this town. In the past, the Society has generally steered clear of it, given its well-deserved reputation as a den of thievery and back-alley murder. But certain unfortunate events in Daggermark have necessitated research into whether a lodge should be opened elsewhere in the River Kingdoms, and I’ve been assigned to prepare a report on whether Thornkeep could be a viable location. For the town itself, you don’t need to know much more than not to travel alone and not to trust a local’s helping hand, because the other hand probably holds a knife. I’ve even had to swallow my pride and retain a local mercenary group, the Blue Basilisks, to provide some additional security for the Society’s agents.”

Adril looks disgruntled for a moment, but continues.

“In addition to its location, there are two things that make Thornkeep an intriguing possibility for a new Society lodge. First, there’s that striking tower of green glass just a few miles to the southwest. It’s doubtless ancient in origin and worthy of an extensive expedition if we ever figure out a way in. But the second thing, and more relevant to you, is that it turns out that Thornkeep itself is built around an underground complex dating to the days of Azlant! The ‘Halls Under the Hill’ or ‘Accursed Halls’, as the locals call them, were once thought to just be a forgotten oubliette from that castle where the current baron resides. But since my arrival, I’ve been sending delve teams and they’ve reported the Halls are far more extensive and contain far more value, in terms of history and artifacts, than we ever imagined!”

His eyes have lit up, as he continues.

”From what we’ve been able to pierce together, the Halls were once the redoubt of an outcast who fled or was exiled from Azlant at the empire’s height thousands of years ago. The fellow’s name was Nhur Athemon, and he was clearly a powerful wizard-—maybe a summoner for those of you interested in the intricacies of magic, which I’m not. Anyway, Athemon filled the complex with a storehouse of arcana: previous teams have uncovered alchemical laboratories, a powerful scrying pool, a magical door that took us ages to figure out how to unlock, and far more. But the Halls aren’t just an unattended storehouse . . .”

Adril suddenly looks somber.

"There are dangers inside. Great dangers, unpredictable ones. Of the delve-teams I've sent in, not all come back whole. Until recently, I thought one team was completely lost! But I was wrong, and that's actually why I've asked the Decemvirate to send me the best agents they could spare--yourselves. You see, one member of the Pathfinder delve-team I thought lost managed to eventually stumble out alive. He was being accosted by some local goblins when we found him. The Pathfinder, a man named Rozimus, was the team's sneak-thief and traps-master. He was badly, badly hurt when we recovered him. He's alive though, upstairs in this very inn. His memory of exactly what happened is spotty--he tells of getting separated from his teammates, looking for them, and then leaving to go and get help."

"You've been called in to go on what we hope will prove a rescue mission, but may prove to be verification of death for those missing Pathfinders' next of kin. You may be able to get some more information out of Rozimus, but I don't want all six of you crowding his bed while he's recuperating! I'd suggest you nominate one amongst yourselves to speak with him. From earlier delve teams, I can sketch a map of the path you need to take through the Accursed Halls to get to the area where Rozimus' team was exploring."

The Venture-Captain opens a window, belches out of it, and then turns back. "Any questions?"

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare nods at Kivuli with a thankful smile.

During the briefing she is clearly worried and feels for those that have lost their lives on the last mission. It almost seems as if she is worried for others in the society who might face the same fate one day ... and she is afraid of that.

After the briefing of the VC she remains silent and waits for the others to respond.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"Are you gonna stick around, Venture-Captain? what's the best way to find you, should we have more questions after we talk to Rozimus. For one, I'd like to take a look at the maps you've drawn up so far. Our team doesn't have a cleric but my paladin gifts could help speed up Rozimus' recovery. Is it ok if I bring Master Ridley and Lady Carina along? between the two of them I don't think there's much secrets left in the universe, based on their conversations earlier."

===========

In Rozimus' chambers

"Good evening fellow Pathfinder! I'm Raynor Cordite and this is Master Ridley and Lady Carina. We're from the Society as well and we're part of the new team being put up by the Venture-Captain. These two are scholars and they would like to hear your tale. I'm a warrior with some minor healing skills. Please, let me look at your injuries..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

Lay on Hands, removes the Sickened condition and act as Remove Disease as well: 4d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 1, 1) = 12
Remove Disease Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 vs. disease's original save DC.


”Amiri” | Female CN Medium Human Barbarian 7 | HP 75/75 | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | CMD 25| F +7 R +4 W +3; +2 vs. fear; +2 vs. traps | Init +2 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Rage 13/18 | Power attack -2/+6 | Active Conditions: sword broken condition.

"Guys, you do talking and healing. I am here to fight!" whispers Luke.

Dark Archive

Female CG Human (Varisian) Fortune-teller and Field Scribe 8 | HP: 53/53| AC: 16( 12Tch, 14 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +6, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mage Armor(470 min), Comprehend Languages, See Invis, Heightened Awareness (70 Min),Mirror Image(9 min.), Harrowed, Blessing of the Harrow(+1 to Hit)

Before

Carina chuckles at the comments. "I'm not sure I'd call it a lifestyle, per say." She helps herself to a little food before continuing. "It's a means of divining the future, through the cards and the spirits represented by them, and yes, some of us do take it very seriously. There have been several situations that I've avoided or overcame because I've looked for the right sign that the cards pointed out to me beforehand, though I'm not infallible. If you wish, I can perform a reading into this current endeavor to see what I can glean from the cards." Without waiting for an agreement, Carina clears a section of the table in front of her, and after laying down a cloth, shuffles her deck again and lays out a three by three grid of cards. "First, the past."

The first card she flips over depicts a whirlwind ravaging a village. "The Cyclone... normally this card means that there are rampant destructive forces at work here, but it's misaligned at this point in the reading. That means things can be rebuilt, after a challenge. The second card she flips shows a Sphinx and another traveler crossing a desert. "The Desert. Without aid, the journey is impossible, but if your willing to gain it, great things await at the end of the journey. and finally, The Betrayal," she says as she flips the final card in the column, One with a woman holding a man's head up, letting the last of his blood splash on some grapes she's holding. "Selfishness and envy rearing it's ugly head, and wrecking what is. Taken together, I see the energy that has been put into this endeavor hasn't been worth it so far, with infighting and disasters preventing headway from happening.

The card at the top of the second column depicts a puppet show, and Carina laughs a little when she sees it. [b]"The Theatre in perfect alignment. This is the spirits reminding me that this is prophecy, and hindsight will most likely be what allows me to fully understand this reading." The card in the center of the spread shows a mob of peasants rioting, a crown hanging from a pitchfork in the foreground, and, just as suddenly, Carina looks more serious. "The Uprising. No matter who you are, there is always something more powerful then you. This card warns that something very strong is at the center of this." Flipping the final card in the row reveals a unicorn with fruit on her horn. "And the Unicorn, also misaligned. Like the card next to it, this refers to a poisonous offer or betrayal. Finally, the future line."

The card at the top of the final row is flipped and reveals a ancient woman with an eye in her mouth, and Carina sighs upon seeing it. "the Mute Hag. Another card warning about poisonous secrets and betrayal. However, this time is misaligned, discussed the strength of words and bonds. Diplomacy is optimal choice or so it suggests." The next card shows a dwarven blacksmith, intent on his work inspite of the distracting mephits flitting around him. "The Forge. Strength through adversity, and the need of many types of strengths to overcome another calamitous event. " Flipping the final card, she frowns a little, as it shows a devil swallowing people. "And the Fiend in the last place. Something very old, very smart, and decidedly evil is the threat, and most likely what we need to end."

Leaning back from the cards, Carina looks over them as a whole. "Taken as a whole, Whatever is in there, there is something in charge. For the longest time, it's been thriving on manipulating the area and keeping the people fractured and at each other's throats. We need to watch who we trust and what offers of assistance we take. It will not be easy by any stretch of the word, and things will seem overwhelming, but keeping faith in each other and following through with our plans will allow us to succeed."

Harrow read:

Card 1: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (1) + (9) = 10 (Str, CE) The Cyclone
Card 2: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (3) + (3) = 6 (Con, CG) The Desert
Card 3: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (6) + (8) = 14 (Chr, NE) The Betrayal
Card 4: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (6) + (2) = 8 (Chr, NG) The Theatre
Card 5: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (1) + (6) = 7 (Str, CN) The Uprising
Card 6: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (6) + (3) = 9 (Chr, CG) The Unicorn
Card 7: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (5) + (2) = 7 (Wis, NE) The Mute Hag
Card 8: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (1) + (4) = 5 (Str, LN) The Forge
Card 9: 1d6 + 1d9 ⇒ (1) + (7) = 8 (Str, LE) The Fiend

I'm going to use this for my Blessing of the Harrow ability. This reading gives the party a +1 insight bonus of all attack rolls for 24 hours, unless the GM would prefer that I just keep the reading for the entire adventure.

During the Meeting.

After a moment, Carina speaks up. "Venture-Captain, I assume we're entering a section that anything goes, but can we have access to previous group's notes to see if we can figure kinds of things are likely to appear in there? You've mentioned that it was some sort of Azlanti mage's hideaway, with alchemy and scrying pools, but was there any direction that is research seeming to be heading? Like Golems or the walking dead?"


In response to Raynor’s question, Adril says ”Never to fear! I’ve made this inn my base of operations. You can find me in the taproom until last call every night—sometimes later if Shadar’s in a good mood!”

After Raynor heads upstairs to speak with Rozimus, Adril listens to Carina’s question and answers ”Aye, that’s a good question lass! I don’t rightly know where to start. The last team that went in asked the same question, and I told them the one thing they could count on was that the place was so ancient that no mundane living creatures could be found there—-and then they stumbled into some sort of dark menagerie full of artificial deserts and oceans and creatures kept suspended in time for millenia! Other teams exploring other areas have reported undead roaming the halls, trapped statues that breath fire, oozes and slimes, and even some sort of plant-insect monster from beyond the stars! If there’s any rhyme or reason to what Nhur Athemon was doing, or why this complex he built ended up the way it did, I sure can’t find it. Hopefully, once all the field reports have been collated and analysed by the specialists in the Grand Lodge, they can figure it out.”

Adril is serious about just one person visiting Rozimus—he doesn’t want to overtax the sick Pathfinder. It looks like Raynor has self-nominated :) Raynor, I’ll cover your interaction with Rozimus in the next post.


Raynor:

One of the inn’s staff directs you to Rozimus’ room upstairs. A lean, middle-aged woman is next to the bed helping an obviously sick man sip some tea. When she sees you, she says ”This brew should help him sleep—don’t stay long.” She slips out of the room while you talk to Rozimus. The man looks up at you as you make your introduction. He strains to sit up a little. ”Thanks the gods! I was telling that other man . . . the one with the beard . . . I forget . . . that they had to be rescued! They could still be there . . . trapped. If only . . . I just don’t remember.” Rozimus coughs for several seconds, and beads of sweat appear on his brow. ”There are things there . . . in the shadows! I’m lost. I shouldn’t have fled!” Tears appear in his eyes. ”But you can set things right. Get them out!” His eyes close for a few seconds and it looks like he’s fallen asleep, but then they open and he stares at you intently. ”Yes . . . yes. Show them this . . . they’ll know I didn’t abandon them. That I sent you. I didn’t flee, I went for help!” He fumbles under the blankets and pulls out his wayfinder. You see a clear spindle ioun stone nestled within. ”Take this. Show them. Promise me!” His head sinks back in the pillow, and you figure you have time for maybe one or two questions before the herbalist’s tea does its work and the man falls into a deep sleep.

From your examination, you don’t think Rozimus is diseased, and most of his physical wounds have already been treated. The best you can guess, he’s suffering from a sort of mental shock and exhaustion.

I’ve placed a pic of Rozimus (obviously from when he was in full health) on the NPCs slide.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

I don't think the map link works at the moment... Also, Raynor will heal the man as per my previous post, just in case there are lingering diseases in him]

"Describe the fastest way to get to your friends, kind Sir! we'll try to get to them and bring 'em back!"

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

During the time that Raynor is away Setare suddenly looks at Ridley as if she remembered something.

”Ehhh ... Rid ... Ridley... I ... I just remembered my sis... sister Zaarah telling me a... about you!!! You we... were the ma ... master chemist she was prai ... praising after one o... of her missions!“ she says with admiration.

”It is so ... ehh ... so great tha ... that Ridley... tha... that you are with u... us!“ she says and claps her hands.


Raynor:
"Yes . . . back! Through the fog. Fog in, fog out."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"What does this mean? come on Rozimus! for the sake of your friends snap out of it! let me ward you against evil.. maybe this will help!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32

Raynor touches the golden seagull pinned on his cloak and utters a short prayer. Divine protection covers both him and Rozimus.


Raynor:
Rozimus' eyes flutter and then close. He's still breathing, but he's lapsed into either a deep sleep or true unconsciousness.


While Raynor is upstairs, the rest of you can keep speaking with Adril. Otherwise, we'll move on soon.

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare has no further questions.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Sounds like this place will tax even my considerable knowledge. Hope I'm up to the task! Kivuli, I'm happy to share any formulaes you'd like from my book with you. Sounds like we have time tonight, if you'd like to copy some down before we begin our exploration.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

Raynor narrows his eyes and tunes in to the cosmic channel that transmits over the frequency of evil, focusing on Rozimus then scanning the rest of his room, rotating in all four quadrant and making sure to continue to do so until he finds the lady who was helping Rozimus.

===============

1. Assuming the room, Rozimus or the lady do not ping evil
Raynor finds the lady who was helping Rozimus to the sleep-tea and says "Your calming brew has worked, Milady, and he has now fallen into a deep sleep. He rambled about a fog and how we'll need to enter that fog to go rescue his friends. When you were helping him earlier did he mention anything else?"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

===============

2. If the room, Rozimus or the lady pings evil
Raynor readies his shield and calls upon the power of the Harborwing, "Show your true face, evil one! PATHFINDERS! UPSTAIRS! TO AAAAARMS!" He then reaches out with holy energies to connect with the evil entity.
Lay on Hands, Melee Touch: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
positive energy dmg, if applicable: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 3, 6) = 16


Raynor:
Nothing detects as evil. You track down Jalia, the inn's cook, who had taken the tea up to Rozimus. Unfortunately, she doesn't have anything helpful to add from her brief time with the man.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

Raynor returns to the group, deep in thoughts, and relays what happened to the group. "He spoke of entering the place through a fog, and exiting through the fog also... t'is very cryptic. Maybe his thoughts will be more clear in the morning... if not, let's hope that this information means something to the rest of you..."

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female CG Human (Varisian) Fortune-teller and Field Scribe 8 | HP: 53/53| AC: 16( 12Tch, 14 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +6, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mage Armor(470 min), Comprehend Languages, See Invis, Heightened Awareness (70 Min),Mirror Image(9 min.), Harrowed, Blessing of the Harrow(+1 to Hit)

@Raynor: Carina gave you (along with the rest of the party) a +1 to hit for 24 hours with her reading.

"Fair enough, but I would still like to look over their notes, if possible." Carina pauses for a moment before asking,"This is an odd question, but did any of the other group suggest that something was directing whatever they were dealing with?"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human (Taldan) Paladin (Shining Knight) 8 - Init +0; Senses: Normal Vision, Perception +1, AC 31/ touch 14/ ff 31; hp 68/68, F+13, R+7, W+12, Speed 20 ft. Continuous Auras: 10 feet: +4 morale bonus on saves vs. charm and fear effects. BUFFS: feather step (gecko), divine favor, Protection vs. Evil (gecko/paladin), antitoxin, antiplague; CMD +2

"I don't recall any such mention, Lady Carina. He said his colleagues could still be down there, trapped, and that there were 'things' in the shadows. He gave me his Wayfinder, slotted with a ioun stone of some kind... told me to show it to them to convince them he didn't flee and that he went to get help. Here, take a look at it Milady."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Adril nods when he hears Raynor mention "fog". "Yes, I know what he's talking about. The team that Rozimus was part of started exploring down a corridor filled with thick fog. That's where you'll start your investigation."

To Carina's question, Adril shakes his head. "A directing force? None of them reported anything like that. One team reported a half-orc alchemist that they slew easily, while another team barely escaped from a strange insect-plant creature. But you won't be headed to those areas anyway." Adril furnishes the requested notes, but, as he said, the different areas that groups explored were so different from another in contents and threats that no clear pattern can be discerned apart from one obvious thing: the Halls Under the Hill are incredibly dangerous!

I'm trying to provide some good flavour for the briefing, but please don't get overly distracted by the references to other groups and levels. Each of the five modules in the Thornkeep book was written by a different author and for different levels of PCs, and I don't want you to get misled about what to expect.

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare nods and looks anxious to get going.

”The.. Then we should hu... hurry up to find th.. the other Pathfinders a ... and hopefully alive!!“


”Amiri” | Female CN Medium Human Barbarian 7 | HP 75/75 | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | CMD 25| F +7 R +4 W +3; +2 vs. fear; +2 vs. traps | Init +2 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Rage 13/18 | Power attack -2/+6 | Active Conditions: sword broken condition.

"I agree, let's go!"

Dark Archive

Male Wayang Unchained Rogue 3/ Investigator 5 | ~HP: 46/48 | AC: 21 (16 Tch, 16 Flat), CMD:21, Fort:+3, Ref:+12, Will:+5, Init:+5, Perception:+19 (+20 for traps) / Trap Spotter 10'

With a congratulatory pat on the back, "Well said Ms. Katsu!"

Dark Archive

Female CG Human (Varisian) Fortune-teller and Field Scribe 8 | HP: 53/53| AC: 16( 12Tch, 14 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +6, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mage Armor(470 min), Comprehend Languages, See Invis, Heightened Awareness (70 Min),Mirror Image(9 min.), Harrowed, Blessing of the Harrow(+1 to Hit)

Gotcha. I understand that, it's just Carina doesn't have that meta-knowledge, and is trying to make sense of it all in her own way. As for her question, That's what the cards told her to look for, so she making inquiries to that effect.

"Then we prepare tonight, and go in at dawn then?" Carina asks as she begins to go over the notes that Adril produced.

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save
Kivuli Greyfeather wrote:
With a congratulatory pat on the back, "Well said Ms. Katsu!"

Setare smiles and looks down.

Then she looks at Kivuli again and with some hesitation speaks up.

”Ehhh ... ma... maybe after this mi... mission I am a... allowed to come back to.... to your offer ... ehh ... so that you ca... can help me Mr. Gre... Greyfeather?“

Dark Archive

Male Wayang Unchained Rogue 3/ Investigator 5 | ~HP: 46/48 | AC: 21 (16 Tch, 16 Flat), CMD:21, Fort:+3, Ref:+12, Will:+5, Init:+5, Perception:+19 (+20 for traps) / Trap Spotter 10'

Due to the veil, she cannot see his the smile on his lips, but his eyes are a clear give away of his emotions. With a graceful bow to her, "It would be my pleasure."

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 40 / max 48 (-12 max) | AC 24 T 18 FF 17 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 22| F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 9 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 3/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: 4 Con damage, Evil Eye, -2 Fort save

Setare nods and bows as well with a light smile.

”Tha ... thank you good si... sir ... “


So it sounds like the tentative plan is to spend the night and enter the Halls in the morning? If so, you'll get free room and board in the Greenforest Inn, and the night will pass uneventfully. If you're a prepared spellcaster or other class that needs to make choices before a day's adventure, please go ahead and record your choices in the Discussion thread. Unless anyone has anything else they want to do, we'll get started with the rescue mission tomorrow (real-time).


A good night's sleep is welcome after the long journey to Thornkeep, though some might toss and turn from excitement and anxiety of the perilous task ahead. The inn's common room is empty as you assemble shortly after dawn, though Shandar has kindly left out some cold bread and cheese in a basket for your breakfast. Trekking through the narrow, unpaved streets and alleys of the village, you soon reach the base of the hill and enter the so-called Accursed Halls. Following the map Adril gave you, you descend deeper and deeper, often seeing signs of recent violence but fortunately avoiding any dangers yourselves. After perhaps an hour of navigation, you reach the point where Rozimus' delve-team was sent to explore. Before you is a ten-foot-wide hallway, but after the first fifteen feet, no details are visible through the glowing, swirling mass of pale mist that fills the entire corridor.

1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay Thread for GM Jhaeman's "Sanctum of a Lost Age" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.