Cartmanbeck's Age of Ashes - PF2 Play-by-post

Game Master cartmanbeck

Google Slides Maps


1 to 50 of 519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Welcome to Breachill

Located in the foothills of the Five Kings Mountains in eastern Isger, Breachill is a thriving town of about 1,300 inhabitants; most are humans, although there are notable populations of dwarves, half-elves, and gnomes here as well. The town predates its most notable landmark, which sits about 1 mile to the northeast, high on low-rising Hellknight Hill: Citadel Altaerein, the foreboding but now-abandoned fortress that was once the home of the Hellknight Order of the Nail.

In years past, Breachill gladly served as a supply source for the Hellknights, who commended the well-ordered peace the town enjoyed. But 8 years ago, when the Order of the Nail fully retreated from Citadel Altaerein in favor of the order’s new home in Varisia, Breachill’s inhabitants simply shrugged, continuing the agriculture, crafting, and bartering that has always sustained them. Now, common wisdom generally recommends avoiding the citadel, which serves as an isolated haven for peaceful groups that don’t want to be disturbed but is also rumored to be overrun with dangerous monsters.

Your reasons for being in Breachill are your own. Perhaps you’re a local, or a visitor specifically traveling here because of the well-known Call for Heroes that the town performs regularly. In any case, Breechill will be your home for a while.

The Call for Heroes

Breachill’s local government has a long and proud history of hiring adventurers to tackle any challenges its residents face that fall outside the scope of the town guard’s duties. The merchant whose expected shipment of goods hasn’t yet arrived, the shepherd whose herd of goats mysteriously died in the night, the farmer whose entire season’s harvest was ruined or stolen—investigating and resolving any of these matters are considered good jobs for adventurers, and so Breachill’s town council uses its resources to hire heroes as needed. These monthly meetings, known as the Call for Heroes, are distinct from the council’s normal regular governance meetings, a tactic that separates such matters from regular municipal business and shows the townspeople that the council indeed allots sufficient time to the issues that are often most important to them personally.

Spending public money on hiring adventurers to help the townspeople serves several purposes, as far as Breachill’s leadership is concerned. First, it provides the townspeople with an official and fully funded way to seek help when they’ve exhausted all other options. Second, it allows the salaried town guard to focus on run-of-the-mill crimes and mundane threats to the townspeople’s safety. And third, it provides experience to local adventurers—and allows the council to vet out-of-town heroes—whose presence and talents the council considers boons to the populace, harking back to the hero Lamond Breachton, Breachill’s original patron who saved the town’s founders.

The council holds a public Call for Heroes once per month expressly to hear petitions from residents who wish the town to hire adventurers on their behalf. At the end of a resident’s address to the council, the council members discuss the petition before voting whether to expend public funds on it. For petitions that are approved—and most of the one or two requests per month are approved—the council then opens the floor to adventurers in attendance at the meeting who wish to tackle the challenge. Heroes looking for work often attend these meetings with a prepared list of qualifications, and the council hires an appropriate number of candidates who are well suited for each job. After the meeting, the adventurers are expected to follow up regularly with the petitioner and with the council. Those heroes who resolve their assigned challenges are paid handsomely in gold pieces and receive preferential consideration for future official work that might use their demonstrated talents.

You are adventurers who plan to attend this month’s Call for Heroes to lobby for work. The meeting occurs at noon today. It is currently around 9 AM. As such, you should have a reason for wanting to attend, although each of your motivations might differ wildly.

Please make sure to determine why you are answering the Call for Heroes! This could be as simple as “for the money” or “for the glory” but you need to be able to tell me why your character would do so.

Please dot in here, and then describe your character for the rest of the group, as well as what they would be doing leading up to the meeting at noon! I have also shared a Google Slides deck with you, please look at it for some info about where things are in Breechill. Feel free to ask about any locations.

Silver Crusade

Dotting here, in the appropriate place.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Abalyn Tisane stops back in her shop to pick up another stack of copies of the Breachill Bugle. I love selling during the Call for Heroes, she thinks to herself. So many more people in town to hear the truth!

She begins walking through her circuit backwards---she ran out halfway through this go-round, and there are so many late risers in that half of town. "Extra! Extra! Read all about it! The nefarious truth about the rivalry between our beloved taverns! A daring exploit against the oncoming fae invasion! The latest whims of our snake overlords! Read the news before your neighbors do! Don't miss this week's issue of the Breachill Bugle!"

Trinil Uskwold gives Abalyn a dirty look as she strides past the Wizard's Grace. Excellent! She's read the paper! Abalyn gives Trinil a broad grin. Maybe it's even cut into her sales! That'll make her think twice before allying with the forces of Hell!


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

Isiros of Nisroch awakens at the Wizard's Grace and prepares himself for the day. He arrived alone the evening prior fashioning half-plate armor, a sheathed longsword and a steel shield. He appears muscular, 2 meters tall, and has a tinge of ashy/gray in his skin. He has some facial hair that has been trimmed back and he's bald despite appearing to be somewhere around his mid 20's.

Isiros, never having been to Breachill before and seeing he has several hours before the meeting, decides to take to the streets and explore town for a bit. Outside the tavern he runs into one of the locals who is peddling the Breachill Bugle. "A fae invasion, huh?" Isiros asks not sure if this was some kind of joke.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Abalyn looks the newcomer up and down. He's clearly here for the Call for Heroes, which means he's probably good fodder for a story or two---whether he realizes it or not. So be nice!

"Absolutely!" says Abalyn in her bubbliest voice. "It's coming, whether you're prepared for it or not! You can read all about it in the Bugle! Only 2cp!"


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

I seriously doubt that, but I guess I should see what the locals are reading. Isiros nods his head in agreement. "Alright, you sold me. I'll take one copy". He tenders the 2cp and begins reading the Breachill Bugle immediately.

"But woe to he who associates law with good, for he may find hiis road to Hell here." She doesn't appear to have high regard for laws. He continues silently reading through the end.

"Well, I'm not sure that there is sufficient evidence of an invasion here," he tells Abalyn, "though I am impressed with your investigative skills in tracking down such a prankster."

Silver Crusade

Abalyn peers at the stranger. Is he making fun of me? Usually people are making fun of me.

"Thanks!" says Abalyn. "Tell you what. You can have your two copper pieces back if you promise me an exclusive interview on whatever happens during your Call for Heroes task.


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

Ash Burnit meanders into town with the dawn. As he walks, he occasionally darts a glance in seemingly random directions. After a moment's hesitation, he briefly touches something nearby - usually a wall, sign, or tree, but occasionally a hapless animal. He shows no sign of the typical goblin fear or revulsion for dogs and horses, though some of them are not so comfortable with the goblin's attention.

Little do those who observe the strange goblin realize that he walks through a world wreathed in visions of flame and smoke. And Ash is cheerfully following those visions.

His haphazard "dowsing" for fire take him this morning to a commotion outside the Wizard's Grace. He watches Abalyn and Isoros for a couple moments, then darts forward from the shadows.

"Miss. I want to buy your truths, exploits, and whims! Coppers for a fellow Oracle, yes?" He holds his hand forth, two copper coins held between his fingers. Scattered across the palm of his hand and on each of his fingertips is a remarkably well-detailed and uniform tattoo of a flaming eye.

Even with the tattoos, he seems like a remarkably friendly and trustworthy young goblin. He doesn't have any obvious weapons or other methods of destruction, like alchemist's fire, torches, holy symbols of evil deities or demons, strange poisonous animals, or whatever passes for goblin food. He wears a clean, simple robe and carries a traveler's satchel, with a writing quill hanging handily from a leather cord. His speech is cultured, though rapid, with an Andoran accent.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

”We-ell, I wouldn’t call myself an oracle exactly, but everything in here is the absolute truth!” Abalyn hands Ash a paper. ”I haven’t seen you around town before. Are you here for the Call for Heroes?”


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

Ash brings the paper close, skimming intently as he keeps talking. "Oracle just a word. A fire burns in you to seek and tell the truth, yes? Key to civilization that is."

He looks back up at Abalyn and smiles conspiratorially. "At least the good ones. I'm new to town, but sometimes Fate calls us, including to hero-ing. I'm Ash. Pleased to meet you." He smiles to Isiros, nodding his head slightly and blinking for the first time since he appeared, revealing his eyelids are also tattooed with a flaming eye.

"And you. Flames come, but you look well equipped to handle them."


NG Gnome Transmutation Wizard 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2

Zimbartel enters Breachill alone, pack over his shoulder, full of scrolls, notes, and books from his old master. The old human wizard had finally stepped into the grave, leaving the drab bleachling gnome Zimbartel with no one to clean up after or to assist in organizing and transcribing research notes. The old man had often attempted to teach Zimbartel little bits of wizardry, trying to spark some interest or excitement in the dour gnome, some colour that had long been missing from his life. And while cleaning up the wizard's belongings for the final time, the gnome found a hidden stash of notes - personal musings of the wizard hoping against hope to find some sort of 'cure' for Zimbartel's affliction, or at least that the gnome could find a new purpose for his life in wizardry, rather than wasting it taking care of a foolish old wizard.

And so Zimbartel finds himself in Breachill. He could never refuse his master's instructions, and he certainly couldn't ignore his final wishes either. He spends his time here in the book store and the Archives, researching wizardry in general, and new spells and techniques. Nothing comes easy to the gnome, but he's used to hard work.

He's heard that there will be a 'Call for Heroes' later today and the archivist Jorell has encouraged him to attend - eventually, book learning must be put to practical use in order to continue growing in knowledge. But that is not until noon, and there are plenty of hours left for study before then.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Once noon approaches, you all head toward the town hall, where you notice a small crowd milling outside the building, waiting for the appointed time. In all, about 40 townspeople are congregated outside the building, chatting and passing the time until the meeting starts.

Please refer to the map of Breachill on Slide 1 of the Maps/Info slide deck. Slide Deck (you all should have edit access!)

A large, mostly wooden building, the building you stand before is used for Breachill’s public meetings—including town council meetings and the Call for Heroes. It also includes the offices of all staff members who support the town’s government and its myriad municipal functions, as well as its town guard and courts.

Just to the northeast lies Fountain Circle. This marble-paved circle is the visual centerpiece of Breachill. Around it stand six deep wells that the nearby residents and businesses rely on for fresh water, each with a hand-pump for retrieving the water. In the center of the ring is an elegant, bronze statue of a robed man.

Society or Lore (Breechill) DC 10:

This is the wizard Lamond Breachton, Breachill’s founder and the town’s most important historical figure.

While awaiting the meeting’s start, you notice a well-dressed goblin woman pacing right outside
the front doors of the building. This studious‑looking goblin has her hands clasped behind her back, and she’s mumbling to herself, oblivious to all those who stand nearby.

Moving a bit closer, you can overhear what she’s saying. “My Bumblebrashers,” she laments in a distraught tone. “Why haven’t I heard from my Bumblebrashers? Are my people trapped in the citadel?”
An image of the goblin is available on slide 2 of the slide deck.

Society or Lore (Breechill) DC 12:

You know that the Bumblebrashers are a small local goblin tribe that lives in Citadel Altaerein, the abandoned Hellknight keep to the northeast.

”Please, do allow me to introduce myself. I am Warbal, ambassador to the Bumblebrasher goblins of Hellknight Hill. It is my great honor to serve my fellow citizens of Breachill as the town’s official representative to the Bumblebrashers. I communicate with the Bumblebrashers, convey the town’s concerns and interests to them, and advocate on the tribe’s behalf. It is a duty I take very seriously—they are my people, after all. Hence why I am here today, and my rather distracted nature earlier. I hope you’ll forgive it.”

Do you have any questions for her?


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Society 10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Society 12: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Abalyn nods, making mental notes for her next story, then raises her hand like a good reporter at a press conference. Since she is the only one following such protocol, she speaks.

”Do you believe the Bumblebrashers to be in danger?” Abalyn has long suspected that the Hellknights left some sort of trap when they vacated the citadel. It was only a matter of time before it manifested.


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Hawk scrambles into town hall just as the meeting begins. He huffs to catch his breath and nearly knocking over a newsie in his haste. "Sorry, excuse me. I just arrived from out of town and wanted to make sure I made it in time for the call for heroes I've heard about." Hawk doesn't mention that he's been wandering fairly aimlessly lately. He's still not totally comfortable with the powers within him, but he hopes to find a way to put them to good use. He figures this town is a a good place to both get lost and be of some use.


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

Society 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Society 12: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
I wonder if there's another tribe called the Bramblebushers and, if so, which one came first.

Ash is new to town, and knows nothing of its society. And that's okay! He takes some time to survey the crowd, looking for tell-tale wisps of smoke and bursts of flame around people that might be worth investigating.

The strange goblin seems of interest, especially once Abalyn seeks to talk to her. "I've never met a Goblin Ambassador before! I'm Ash, Goblin Oracle, at your service."

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Warbal turns to Abalyn.

“Typically, every two weeks I meet with Helba, the tribe’s chieftain, on the road outside the keep. We discuss news, and I convey the town’s interests and hear any concerns that the tribe might wish me to bring before the council. It is a relationship of utmost importance, and Helba is normally punctual. But she has missed our previous two meetings, and I have seen plumes of smoke coming from the top of the citadel. The smoke is a chalky red in color—the tribe’s traditional color of distress. I fear that the Bumblebrashers are in danger, or that something dire has befallen them. It has sickened me with worry.”

For Ash:

Despite the news about them coming from a goblin ambassador, you are completely convinced that the Bumblebrashers are a tribe of kobolds who live in the town's sewers. You definitely read it somewhere, once, a while ago.


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Society 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Society 12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

Society 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Society 12: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

After wandering around town for a bit Isiros returns for the The Town meeting. He's not too familiar who any of these people are but waits patiently and listens when the robed figure talks.

Citadel...Could this be the Hellknight Citadel or some other Citadel? Isiros perks up at the recent discussion, though for now he remains silent. Don't want to show too much excitement...be patient


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

Ash is extremely interested in this tale of plumes of red smoke indicating distress, enough so that it is likely obvious to those looking at him, but doesn't trust Warbal yet. He lurks nearby to listen for more on this dire distressing sickening danger.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Abalyn is very concerned by this news of the goblin tribe in distress. Goblins get enough bad press, and she hates to add to it.

”Who—-or what—-else lives in the citadel ordinarily?”

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

To Abalyn's question, Warbal puts a hand on her chin and thinks for a moment.
"The Bumblebrashers aren't normally bothered by any creatures while living in the citadel, but most of their time is spent in the catacombs underneath, from what I understand. Some sections of the old citadel are crumbling, which could lead to any sorts of wild animals taking up residence there. I know they've spoken about wolves before... I wish I could give you more specifics though."


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

"Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to this town. My name is Hawk." Pointing to Ash, Hawk asks, "Is this other goblin also one of your tribe?"

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

To Hawk, Warbal shakes her head.

"I have not met Ash before today." She turns to Ash. "Are you from this area? I normally make it a point to introduce myself to other goblins I meet here, especially those so impeccably dressed!" She smiles widely at him, clearly happy to see another goblin representing your kind in an outwardly positive way.


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

He blushes a little at Warbal's compliment. "And here I was admiring your fancy hat and necklace. Desna, is it?"

He looks back and forth between Hawk and Warbal. "I have come to this town just today, as well. Are you also Called, friend Hawk, or here for another reason?"


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

To Ash Hawk says:
"I've been wandering a while and looking for a way to be helpful. I'd heard of Breechill and it's Call for Heroes and decided to see if I might be of some use."

Then turning to Warbal he continues, "And it sounds like perhaps I can. What request were you going to make before the council? Are you seeking some to check on the welfare of your tribe?"


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Abalyn scrunches up her forehead. I’m very concerned about this whole thing, especially since it seems to have been going on for a month or more. It could just be wolves, but it could also be some goblin-hating adventurers or the next wave of the fey invasion. I suppose it’s a good sign that someone managed to get off a distress signal. How long has it been going for?


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Almost to himself, Hawk wonders, "Fey invasion?"


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

Isiros continues to stand idly by while the conversation develops thanks to Abalyn's inquisitiveness. Wolves can't be too bad...

At the mention of the Call for Heroes he feels the need to speak up. "I've also come for this Call of Heroes and whatever that might entail. Name's Isiros"


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Abalyn flashes Hawk a grin. ”Read all about it in the Breachill Bugle!” Abalyn holds out her hand. ”Abalyn Tisane, Editor-in-Chief.

To Isiros, she says, ”Do your friends call you Zero?”

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

"I am certain something foul has befallen the Bumblebrashers—their leader, Helba, would not miss our meeting twice in a row for no reason, nor would the tribe signal its distress if something terrible were not amiss. I plan to present this information to the council and ask them to hire adventurers to contact my tribe. And.. you are adventurers! Are you not? You are just the heroes I hope the council might hire on my behalf. But please, there is a system in place for a reason. Come with me into the meeting and listen to my petition. If you are up for my task, I beg you to offer your services to the council. You might be my tribe’s only hope!”

Soon, a bell tolls and the crowd begins filing into the building, while the children who have gathered around run off to play. As you enter, guards positioned at the front doors direct you to the council chamber, which is just past the main hallway.

Inside, you see that the room is set up as an auditorium, with a carpeted walkway separating several rows of benches into two sections. The carpet leads to a small set of steps and a raised dais. On the dais is a large desk separated into five parts, where the Breachill Town Council’s five members are seated, talking quietly with one another as they wait for the meeting to start. On the desk, situated in front of each chair, are tarnished bronze plaques bearing the names of the council members.

Society DC 10 (or walk up and read the plaques):

From east to west, the names are Jorsk Hinterclaw, Melma Ann Sendari, Greta Gardania, Trini Sprizzlegig, and Quentino Posandi. Melma, Greta, and Quentino are humans, Jorsk is a dwarf, and Trini is a gnome. Greta Gardania, who is seated at the desk’s middle spot, is the council president and is expected to open the meeting.


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

To Abalyn:

"Breachill Bugle? Sounds like a valuable source of local information. I'll gladly take a copy. Most people call me Hawk." He then shakes her hand.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Society 10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Who cares what the snake people’s names are anyway? Abalyn takes a seat toward the back.


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Society 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Though he remembers reading about the council members before traveling to Breechill, Hawk doesn't recognize any of the faces on the plaques, so he walks over to examine them.

Then, noticing Abalyn taking a seat, and believing that a local journalist's knowledge would be helpful with whatever task he might undertake, says to the others that have also been speaking with Warbal, "It appears we all have some interest in the ambassador's concerns. And I personally would be glad to have some company if I undertake the task. I suggest we all find seats together while we wait to see whether the council will post her request or what else they might offer. Care to join me near the reporter?" He then walks to the back and takes a seat.


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

"Zero? where would you get that from?" Isiros replies to Abalyn.

Society 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Isiros takes note of the council member names in case it is of some importance. He stands at the back of the room with his back to a wall.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

To Isiros: ”It’s the middle of your name.” She shrugs. ”Izzy seemed less likely.”


CN male goblin oracle 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +3 | Stealth +7 | 25 ft.

Ash nods along agreeably. "I am most interested in checking out the citadel and its distress signals. Let's see how this Call works out?"

He follows the group in like a gleeful tourist about to see a carefully choreographed event.

Councillors with name plaques? Meh, boring.

Meanwhilst, in his Vision, flames dance and flicker to and fro around Abalyn, Hawk, and Isiros, increasing in speed and volume as the heroes are pulled randomly together. I must be in the right place...


NG Gnome Transmutation Wizard 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2

Society 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Zimbartel walks in late, having lost track of time in his studies. He moves to take an empty seat near the back of the room. He overhears some chatter from some others already seated nearby but any details of their conversation are lost on him as his attention is on the councilors at the front of the room. Any interesting information about adventuring opportunities are likely to come from council anyways.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

With a sharp rap from her gavel onto the desk, a stern, dark-haired woman with a deeply furrowed forehead and kind eyes brings the assembled crowd to a hush.
“Welcome, neighbors and friends...” the dark-haired woman begins, her rich voice washing over the room, See her picture on slide 2. “...to the Breachill Town Council’s monthly Call for Heroes. I am Council President Greta Gardania, at your service. On behalf of my colleagues beside me, I promise you all that we will hear and consider today’s petition with the utmost discretion and care. There is no existence without community, as our town charter says.
“Today, our agenda includes one petition. Miss Warbal, our very own ambassador to the Bumblebrashers of Hellknight Hill, requests the help of heroes for a matter of utmost importance. Let’s hear her concerns in her own words, shall we? Miss Warbal?”

At this summons, Warbal emerges from the front row of benches. The well-dressed goblin woman makes her way to the foot of the dais’s steps. She clears her throat and begins her address to the council.

“Esteemed councilors,” Warbal says, with a frazzled tone to her voice. “It has been more than a month since I’ve been able to contact the Bumblebrashers. I fear that something terrible has befallen them. What’s more, I have seen my people’s distress signal coming from the top of Citadel Altaerein—”

Before the goblin can continue her petition, the door on the western side of the room flies open, as a young man, his eyes wide with panic, runs in shouting and waving his ink-stained hands. Billowing black smoke and flames follow him into the room: “Fire! There’s a fire! Everyone flee!”

Please refer to slide #3 of the Google slide deck. Your character icons are already present. Note the 40 townspeople highlighted in orange, the five councilors, plus Warbal, highlighted in red, and the two guards highlighted in purple.

Initiatives:

Abalyn: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Ash: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Isiros: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Zimbartel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Hawk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Fire: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Councilmembers: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

As soon as the fire begins, the panicked spectators jump up and knock over the benches in their hurry to escape, many of them falling over themselves in the process. The entirety of both sections of benches is difficult terrain during this encounter. Some of the spectators are able to pick themselves up and escape the chamber with help from the councilors, but others are so terrified or tangled among the benches and each other that they need further assistance or they won’t escape the fire unharmed.

Currently there is a five-foot square of fire just outside the council chambers’ western door, as well as a 10’x10’ area just inside the door. You may attempt to douse the flames (come up with creative solutions!) or to help spectators escape the room. Rescusing a spectator requires three actions to locate, calm, and then escort them from the room. You do not need to be adjacent to the spectators to perform these actions, but must at least be on the same side of the room, and within sight and earshot. You can work together to rescue multiple spectators at a time.

Wisdom or Intelligence DC 11 (choose one):

You feel like you could douse the flames using water or cold, but there may be other ways of dealing with it as well.

Society or Lore(Breechill) DC 10 (choose one):

The fountains out in the square is the closest reliable source of water.

Survival or Society DC 15 (choose one):

The people in the room are panicked, but you could possibly convince them to form a bucket brigade outside and provide water to you to fight the fire.

Turn Order (bold may act):
Isiros
Abalyn
Hawk

Fire
Zimbartel
Ash
Councilmembers


NG Gnome Transmutation Wizard 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2

Int 11: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Society 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Society 15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Silver Crusade

Wisdom 11: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Society 10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Survival 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Zimbartel quickly assesses the situation and makes several useful determinations.

"We can use water, or cold spells, to put out the fire. We might also be able to smother the flames with sand or some sort of blanket or curtains, if needed. But there's some water right outside, in the courtyard.... everyone should work together and make a bucket brigade to get water in here! I remember seeing some buckets right next to the fountain."


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Intelligence 11: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Intelligence 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Intelligence 15: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Point of clarification: There are TWENTY townspeople in the room that need saved... 10 on each side of the room.


CG Female Human Investigator 1 HP 24/24 | AC 17 | F +4 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (+10 vs traps) | Stealth +3 | 25 ft| Active Conditions:

Is someone trying to kill the snake people, or are they trying to kill us? Either way, we should get everyone out of here!

”You heard the gnome!” Abalyn yells. ”Bucket Brigade time!”

She turns to Hawk. ”Can you get that started?” She turns to Ash and beckons to Isiros. ”Help me get people out of here!”

Abalyn spends 3 actions working with Isiros and Ash to get ppl out.


LN male human fighter 2 | HP 34/34 | AC 17 (19 w/ shield raised) | F+8 R+6 W+6 | Perc +8 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --

Isiros quickly readies himself as the young man enters the room and fire comes rushing in. He hears the late-comer gnome point out how to handle with the fire. Well, first thing first, we need to get people out of here. Those closest to the fire preferably

He hears Abalyn and responds "Sure thing!"

Isiros spends 3 actions to help people get out. If he has a choice he'd prefer those closest to the fire, including the councilmember (red)


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Hawk moves as far towards the back door as he can with one action.

To the guards:
"You two, we need to fight that fire. The gnome mentioned buckets by the fountain. I suggest you fetch them and start forming a bucket brigade with anyone that comes out this door."

I'll spend my other two actions to attempt the guards to start the bucket brigade.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Hawk is able to convince both guards to go help grab buckets and get water into the room.

Fire’s turn: The fire rapidly expands into the chamber, the wooden floor and throw rugs burning quickly and efficiently.

In addition, a small, winged creature flies into the room and breathes fire on the end of the council table, lighting it on fire. 3 more squares are burning, 8 total.

Religion DC 15:

You recognize the creature as a fire mephit, an elemental creature of the fire plane. You expect that fire will have no effect on it, while cold may be very effective against it.

DC 20 (same roll as above):

You recall that fire mephits have very quick metabolism, allowing them to heal very quickly from wounds. They can also cast a few spells, including one that may daze an enemy for a short time.

Abalyn, Isiros and Ash are able to get all ten people from the right side of the room to safety!

Turn Order:
Isiros
Abalyn
Hawk
Fire
Zimbartel
Ash
Councilmembers


NG Human (Versatile) Sorcerer 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +7 | Perc +5 | 25ft| Focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

On my turn...
Religion 15/20: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


NG Gnome Transmutation Wizard 1 AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2

Zimbartel has seen his fair share of small fires - the old wizard caused no small number of them in his experimentation. He's never tried to use magic to deal with it before though.
Now's as good a time as any to see how this works in practice, I guess, he thinks to himself.

He moves towards the corner of the room so that none of the poor citizens will get in the way, and then prepares to cast a blast of water.

Cast Hydraulic Push at the bottom center square of fire.
Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Zimbartel's water spell puts out a section of the fire, soaking the floor beneath it. That square will not catch fire again.

Councilmembers’ turn: The five councilmembers and Warbal all race toward the panicking crowd, a few of them literally jumping over the table to do so, and they begin helping them make their way out of the room. Each council member will spend their three actions to help a single spectator escape for the next several rounds. 16/20 spectators saved.

Round 2

Turn Order (bold can act):
Isiros
Abalyn
Hawk

Fire & Creature
Zimbartel
Ash
Councilmembers

1 to 50 of 519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Cartmanbeck's Age of Ashes - PF2 Play-by-post All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.