GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Book One: The Dead Roads

Loot Tracker | Maps and Images


151 to 200 of 1,118 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara nods. "I think I know which parts of the room are the safest to work in--lemme give it another shot."

She heads back into the unstable room to retrieve the items from the shelves...

Disable Device: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom is about to attack the bone cobra when the others take it down first. He sighs. "Well, it's good to know that any fights here will be ended quickly." He looks at the sarcophagus. "That's interesting. It's empty. Hmm..."

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

He also looks at the good from the bone cobra.

Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Spellcraft?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

When Alara goes to the unstable room, Artyom says, "When you do, bring back the gear. I'll see if I can identify anything. Then I'll updated the journal with the new information."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"... where else would she take it?" Ridill asks the Wizard.


.

Alara finally manages to brace the shelves and retrieve the goods.

- one gold wedding ring inscribed with "For Aloisius; my love, my heart, my morning dove"
- a bead which radiates magic

Error on my part, it was a single bead, not a strand and a bead.

Spellcraft DC 16:

The bead is a bead of blessing from a lesser strand of prayer beads. I can be used daily to cast a bless spell.

---

Artyom tries to think about why Roslar's tomb would be empty - the best he has is that he knows that there was some cloud of scandal over Roslar's death.

The bone cobra was clearly a construct of some kind - the makeup of the horrible-smelling slurry in it is a mystery.

Horse room or south hall?


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Let's go Horse room. Same as before, high perception people give it a look and a sniff with weapons ready. ;-)

Allowing the more scholarly to check the enchantment on the bead, Malvo peeks into the next room to see if there is anything interesting or helpful to be found.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Nice work," Ridill tells Shinra when she succesfully retrieves the itemms. Seeing Malvo peek into the next room Ridill tiptoes up alongside himm to sntach a peek as well.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Artyom frowns as he can't identify the goo. However, he can identify what the bead is. "I can't tell what this sludge is from the cobra. The bead, however, is from a lesser strand of prayer beads. It can be used to cast a bless spell oncer per day." He then pulls out his journal.

I'll work on my updated journal entry.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Ridill wrote:
"... where else would she take it?" Ridill asks the Wizard.

Artyom looks at Ridill. "I don't know. I'm trapped in a crypt with a bunch of strangers. I don't know what's going to happen."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Well then try to make things you want to happen, happen" Ridill calls back.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell looks a little askew as Alara brings back the items from the shelf.

"So, uh, am I going to be the one to mention that we're essentially graverobbing, now? This equipment was clearly recent, but that's a wedding band that I'm guessing belonged to someone interred here."

"I mean, might as well keep the bead. I'm sure Roslar would be more than happy to give us what help he could to survive whatever the hell's going on here. And hell, if we're going to be robbing corpses, might as well put stuff like that to good use. And I'm the only one with enough faith to put that to good use, y'know..."


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

"Well, if we happen to find this Aloisius person, we can give the ring back."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"An Roslar wasn't interred 'ere so it technically ain't a grave."


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"Well, I'm not sure whether he was interred here then moved, or if he never made it, but either way it's his memorial. Regardless, we've been stuffed here without our consent, so I don't feel bad making use of whatever might help us. Valuables that aren't intrinsically useful should probably remain where they are, though."

Malvo cranes his neck to get a better look into the horse room.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

"Yeah, what Sarge said. Bead's good. But a gold band isn't going to keep us alive. Undead aren't usually the bribable type."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"What about undead ravens?"


.

You all make your way into the horse room. As you cautiously move in, you notice two things - one, there is a huge hole in the side of the sarcophagus. And two, there is an intact horse skeleton in a pile beside it... which begins to stir as you walk in! One of the strange bug-things rides in its center, its red eyes gleaming at you. It lunges out at Malvo, who ably avoids the blow.

Initiative:

Ridill: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Tornell: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Alara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Artyom: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Malvo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Bone Chariot Horse: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

GM Rolls:

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Round One:

Horsey Surprise
---
Tornell
Alara
Ridill
Artyom
Malvo

Everyone is up! Map is updated.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"... I don't know why i was expecting anything else," Ridill says with a shrug before hefting his sword up.

Greatsword: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 6) + 3 = 10


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Realizing that she can't flank the horse skeleton, Alara opts to jump on the sarcophagus so she can at least reach the beast without trapping herself.

Acrobatics *to jump on sarcophagus*: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Nunchaku Attack?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Only for her swing to go completely wide.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"I'm really getting tired of these bug things. Just what we needed, another way to animate the dead!"

Attack (morningstar): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
He swings his morningstar, but is distracted by Alara's leap. "Gah! Young lady, warn me before you jump into my peripheral vision! I nearly swatted you instead!"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Swatting is for buggies, not elvsies!"


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Ridill wrote:
"Well then try to make things you want to happen, happen" Ridill calls back.

Artyom blinks. "I know. That's why I said to bring the items to me."

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:

Tornell looks a little askew as Alara brings back the items from the shelf.

"So, uh, am I going to be the one to mention that we're essentially graverobbing, now? This equipment was clearly recent, but that's a wedding band that I'm guessing belonged to someone interred here."

"I mean, might as well keep the bead. I'm sure Roslar would be more than happy to give us what help he could to survive whatever the hell's going on here. And hell, if we're going to be robbing corpses, might as well put stuff like that to good use. And I'm the only one with enough faith to put that to good use, y'know..."

Artyom states. "I wouldn't worry about it too much, Brother Tornell. If I recall correctly, there was some scandal that had occurred. It could have caused Roslar's body to be removed from the tomb or to not be buried here at all."

Ridill wrote:
"What about undead ravens?"

Ricky flies down from the rafters. "Oh! That's a difficult question! If I had to make a guess, it would have to depend on how dead they are and if they are being controlled or not." Artyom raises his eyebrow. "I don't think that's right. They would be undead corpses. What use would they have for baubles and trinkets?" Ricky looks at his master. "Well, ravens like baubles and trinkets."

The conversation between Artyom and Ricky is cut short when the group arrives into the horse room. Seeing the skeleton of the horse spring up with a bug riding it, Artyom frowns. "Okay. This is getting ridiculous." He moves past Tornell. "Excuse me." He then raises his quarterstaff and prepares it like a javelin. Ricky is fluttering around him. Releasing a breath, he throws it! After hitting the undead, it returns to his hand.

Hand of the Apprentice: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT
Artyom Julum wrote:
Artyom blinks. "I know. That's why I said to bring the items to me."

"'Ere ya go!"

Artyom Julum wrote:
Ricky flies down from the rafters. "Oh! That's a difficult question! If I had to make a guess, it would have to depend on how dead they are and if they are being controlled or not." Artyom raises his eyebrow. "I don't think that's right. They would be undead corpses. What use would they have for baubles and trinkets?" Ricky looks at his master. "Well, ravens like baubles and trinkets."

"Bingo, birdo."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Ridill wrote:
"'Ere ya go!"

Artyom blinks. "Very well then. We have reached an agreement."

Ridill wrote:
"Bingo, birdo."

Artyom looks at Ricky and Ridill. "No, not bingo. That doesn't make any sense. Undead generally don't think. How would they be attracted to baubles and trinkets? What if they don't have eyes?" Ricky just tilts his head. "I don't know. It's just an instinct. Like a sixth sense." Artyom's eyes widen before he says, "That just raises further questions!"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

”Ravens gonna raven.”


2 people marked this as a favorite.
(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara is quietly envious of Ridill's and Artyom's ability to have a prolonged conversation in the midst of a pitched battle.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

I think we’re adding to the conversation before the battle.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

It can be both.


.

As you encircle and beat on the horse, the javelin-like throw of the quarterstaff proves to be astonishingly effective. It slams dead into the horse's skull which - on closer inspection, doesn't quite seem to be fitted right, and snaps it clean off. A wonkily-attached leg buckesl, and the skeleton collapses, scattering into bones on the floor.

It turns, and starts scuttling away towards a hole in the wall.

Ridll's AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 Damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 3) + 3 = 7

But Ridill's sword ends its life instantly.

End of Combat

Exploring the room, you find a small tunnel around one foot wide the bug-thing was trying to escape through. It's hard to tell how far it goes at first glance.

Opening the sarcophagus, you see acid scars where the bug-thing presumably ate its way in and pulled the bones out to assemble its strange chariot. Left in the box are silver and jade adornments from a long-since decayed bridle.

Some pretty adornments if you want them. There's a one-foot-wide tunnel, or the main hallway to the SW.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"Well, I'm small and nimble, but that's a little too small even for me."

Malvo peers into the small tunnel. He finds a smooth rock, and with a word of magic, he lights it up. He rolls the rock down the tunnel to see whatever he might be able to see.


.

The rock goes in far enough that you can tell the tunnel is only around 20' long and heading upwards, opening into a room on the other end. It appears that this crypt may have another level above you.

With nothing else to find here, you push onwards, heading to the southwest hall. Here is another alcove with supplies - although in this case it's all cleaning supplies. Brushes, rags, polish, and buckets.

A small alcove on the east wall of this hallway contains stone shelves with some boxes and bags. On the floor are several shiny plates of insectile exoskeleton that glimmer with a faint red glow.

The hallway continues to the south.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Ridill wrote:
”Ravens gonna raven.”

Artyom blinks at this. "What does that even mean?"

After the battle...

Artyom blinks and looks at his quarterstaff. "Huh. That was more effective than I thought it would be. I have to make a note of this." Artyom sees the valuables attached to the bridle. He tries to appraise it.

Appraise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

In the next hall, Artyom and Ricky begin looking around, examining everything they can.

Artyom's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 + 2 = 19
Artyom's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Artyom's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Artyom's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Artyom's Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Artyom's Profession (architect: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Ricky's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Ricky's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
Ricky's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (12) - 2 = 10
Ricky's Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (5) - 2 = 3
Ricky's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Ricky's Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Ricky also looks down the hallway to see if there is anything else.

Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Sorry for not updating the journal. I'll try to do that tomorrow.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

"Well, unless these bugs have a weakness to soap and polish, I don't think there's anything here of use. Unless somebody wants a bucket."

Tornell walks over to Artyom, busily inspecting the various ornaments. "Even if that came from his horse, and even if there's scandal involved, it still counts as graverobbing, you know. I mean, just making sure we're all aware of this."

"So, uh... Any argument to me holding onto that prayer bead?"


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
Tornell walks over to Artyom, busily inspecting the various ornaments. "Even if that came from his horse, and even if there's scandal involved, it still counts as graverobbing, you know. I mean, just making sure we're all aware of this."

Artyom doesn't stop his examination when he answers. "Perhaps. But, sometimes it is necessary to do so in dire situations. Once we have figured out what is going on, we can work on making some reparations. We can return the items back and maybe do some sort of service. I might just want to lead a restoration effort to the crypt when I make my report back to Vigil."

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"So, uh... Any argument to me holding onto that prayer bead?"

Artyom shrugs. "I don't have any arguments against that." He turns to Alara. "I had a thought. May I see that wedding ring, please?"


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara hands off the ring. "Here ya go."


.

The wedding ring looks to be worth around 85 gold while the adornments would sell for approximately 65 gold.

All of Artyom's intellectual prowess tells him that this is a janitorial space in the crypt and that the supplies here are for the cleanliness of said crypt. Unfortunately nothing much more to it than that. You avoid the carapaces and head south and towards... a light?

---

This wide room has a hallway leading out of the north wall and a set of stairs leading up to the east. An elaborately lifelike image carved into the south wall depicts a mustachioed knight kneeling before a slender woman with feathery wings. The woman holds a rapier above her head with one hand while the other is extended to the knight, who is kissing it. Lettering above the image reads, “Faithfulness Always to the Red Crusader.”

Artyom notices that the scene of Roslar meeting what must be Arazni is done in an art period of the time that is normally reserved for scenes of passion or intimacy.

He, and the rest of the group, also notice three cat-sized glowing red beetles that seem to be guarding stairs leading upwards. They all turn to you as you step towards the room and chitter in warning. Their red light is enough to light the whole room.

Knowledge Nature DC 10:

These are common fire beetles, albeit ones which are behaving very strangely since they're mindless insects and not, y'know, guards.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

"Huh, Fire Beetles, ya don't know normally see them as guards, they're usually too busy doing beetle stuff." Ridill comments.

Beast Tongue: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

The Uflen then chitters at the beetles, asking them what they are doing here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo starts to suggest smashing the bugs, then stops and stares at Ridill as he appears to be talking to them.

"Well, that's something you don't see every day."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

"You got that right," Tornell says, agreeing with Malvo.


.

The fire beetles aren't really capable of communication beyond very basic things, but they at least don't seem immediately hostile. Ridill gathers that they've been set to guarding the stairs from all intruders by their not-beetle-friends who brought them here.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Ah! They were put here as guards, they're also beetles so trying to have a conversation takes some nuance, or the opposite of," Riddill murmurs before chattering to the beetles that'd they like to leave so as to not interrupt their guard duty their friends gave them.

Beast Tongue: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Alara Shinrin wrote:
Alara hands off the ring. "Here ya go."

Artyom nods as he receives the ring. ”Thank you.” In addition to determine value, he and Ricky also try to learn more about this “Aloisius”.

Artyom’s Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Artyom’s Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Artyom’s Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Ricky’s Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (13) - 2 = 11
Ricky’s Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6
Ricky’s Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (20) - 2 = 18

He points to the ring and the bridle. The ring would be worth 85 gold pieces and the accoutrements are with 65 gold pieces.”

GM SpiderBeard wrote:

This wide room has a hallway leading out of the north wall and a set of stairs leading up to the east. An elaborately lifelike image carved into the south wall depicts a mustachioed knight kneeling before a slender woman with feathery wings. The woman holds a rapier above her head with one hand while the other is extended to the knight, who is kissing it. Lettering above the image reads, “Faithfulness Always to the Red Crusader.”

Artyom notices that the scene of Roslar meeting what must be Arazni is done in an art period of the time that is normally reserved for scenes of passion or intimacy.

Artyom is absolutely stunned by the statue and it’s craftsmanship. He also makes note of its symbolism. ”That’s Roslar kneeling. And I assume that the woman is Arazni. But the real surprise is that, during the time that it was made, this scene would be reserved for scenes of passion or intimacy. Makes me wonder if there was something going on between them.”

Artyom’s Profession (architect): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Artyom’s Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Artyom’s Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Artyom’s Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Artyom’s Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Artyom's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 + 2 = 21

Ricky’s Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Ricky’s Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12
Ricky’s Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7
Ricky’s Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Ricky’s Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (7) - 2 = 5
Ricky's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Artyom sees the bugs and is ready for a fight. However, when Ridill identifies them, begins talking to them, and is able to understand them, Artyom blinks in bewilderment. ”That is... odd. Did any of you know he could do that?” Ricky tilts his head in amazement. ”Wow! That’s incredible! Do you think he could understand me if I didn’t speak?” Artyom scratches his chin. ”I’m... not sure. There is the possibility that he can only speak to insects.”


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo looks at Ridill. "Are they preventing people from coming down, or going up? Can we convince them that letting us out is a good idea?"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

”Tryin,” Ridill stage whispers out the corner of his mouth to Malvo.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A
Artyom Julum wrote:
”That’s Roslar kneeling. And I assume that the woman is Arazni. But the real surprise is that, during the time that it was made, this scene would be reserved for scenes of passion or intimacy. Makes me wonder if there was something going on between them.”

"You were mentioning something about a scandal, eh? Wonder if the scandal was the two getting too close? Or perhaps they weren't close, he just pined for her a little too obsessively..."


.

Artyom doesn't recall anything he hasn't already heard - just that Roslar was... focused on Arazni, and that his death was shrouded in scandal of some kind. It was a very long time ago and whatever happened was not recorded. The fact his body is not interred here while bodies of his companies and horse are is another question.

The beetles seem happy for you to leave and go elsewhere so they can continue their duty.

There is one issue though - the only exit you've spotted are these stairs, or a one-foot wide tunnel that maybe Malvo could squeeze through if he was naked and buttered up.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

In case it wasn't clear, we were trying to get the beetles to let us go up the stairs, on the hope that they were keeping people out, not in. Is there any chance Ridill's ability lets him try to convince them that moving to let us pass is the correct thing to do?

Malvo whispers to Ridill, "Well? Is it working? Will they move and let us go?" He then realizes that whispering in front of beetles is probably silly, but at this point he's committed. "If not, let's try to casually get into position before we attack..."


.

Oh! I misread what Ridill was saying there 'they' was unclear.

Ridill tries to convince the beetles to leave in a series of chitter. However, the beetles seem like they're committed to their task - a job is a job even if they're only so excited to do it. They'll likely require some sort of inducement to move.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"What do beetles eat? Can we offer them a snack to move away from the stairs?"


.

Ridill knows enough natural lore to know beetles eat basically whatever they can find. Huge beetles like fire beetles may feast on larger prey when they can, but like any insect are not picky eaters.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo mutters to himself while looking through his various pockets and pouches. "Of all days not to have trail rations on me for the animals ... it's a festival! Why pack everything? Just the basic kit, keep it light ... folks will be sharing their food all day ..."

151 to 200 of 1,118 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.