GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Book One: The Dead Roads

Loot Tracker | Maps and Images


51 to 100 of 1,126 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Derp, missed that, man the backend of things keep slipping me >_<

When asked about combat abilities Ridill takes his greatsword and spins it vertically. ”I can do some sword stuff. Nothing fancy at the moment, I think. So we’re in a crypt? I was wondering why everything seemed duller. If this is a prank it’s a horrible one. But hey, new people!” he offers with a smile.

”Reoccurrnces like that are usually not a good thing. Also it’s creepy.” he comments in regards to the reliefs.

When Malvo volunteers him to lead he holds up a hand. ”Please, i’m a simple hound of Ragadahn. You may call me Ridill of the Two Heads,” he says before his shoulders slump and his eyes furtively dart around, seemingly in confusion as to who said that. ”No, that’s a horrible name, don’t call me that. Ridill is fine.”


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

”Er...I’m Alara.” The elf girl says, still visibly lost.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo smiles. "Well, no matter how many heads you have, they sit twice as high as mine, so you have a better vantage point. Hold on to that sword and let's see what we can find."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

So, what’s the ruling on Ricky’s skills?

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:

Tornell gives an exasperated cockeyed stare at the young man rattling off his qualifications.

"Sheesh, he asked if you could defend yourself, not a bloody dissertation of your whole worldview and skillset."

Artyom only glances at the priest before pulling out a journal and an ink pen. ”In a situation like this, it helps to know the strengths of everyone.” He opens the journal and turns a page. He then begins to write notes. As he does, he notices something about the frescoes. ”Hold on. Now this is interesting. The equipment on these frescoes are similar to what was being used during the Shining Crusade over 900 years ago. Also, these look similar to us. But they are different. Fascinating.”

He then turns to the faded fresco and looks at it closely, trying to see if he can get any detail from it.

Knowledge (religion)?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

When he’s finished writing, Artyom puts away his journal and ink pen and turns to Malvo. ”I have what I need. We should also take the supplies from that crate. I can’t carry it as I’m almost at my limit. I can give you all a resistance spell and I can send my familiar out ahead to scout.” He then digs out a sunrod. But he doesn’t light it.

Ricky lands on Artyom’s shoulder and looks at the assembled group. ”I’m Ricky and this is Artyom!” Artyom give a light glare to his familiar.

He looks at each person as the others introduce themselves. At Ridill’s introduction, Artyom blinks. But he doesn’t say anything.

I’ll also post what I’m writing down in the journal later.


.

Ricky has the same ranks as you, but does not have the same class skills. So Ricky gets the normal familiar class skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Fly, Perception, Stealth, and Swim.

The faded carving of a sixth figure doesn't really yield much unfortunately, there's little to tell. A religious eye yields symbology on the carvings that relate to Arazni, the Herald of Aroden and a central figure in the Shining Crusade. Also there's a symbol of Sarenrae on the shield of the man who looks like Tornell.

I'll push to next room after everyone else has responded today.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

”Pleased to meetcha,” Ridill tells Alara. ”And you as well,” he adds towards Ricky, seemingly unbothered by a bird talking to the group.

”Only against things that walk and fly, against those that crawl I think you’d have the head there, little wolf,” he responds to the halfling.

Moving over he begin picking up the extra equipment they found in the crate. ”Roslar? Why does that name sound familiar?” he murmurs to himself as he does.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo stares at Ridill a moment. "Were you not in Roslar's Coffer earlier today, like the rest of us? Border town, named after Ervin Roslar, a hero of the Shining Crusade?"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Ridill tilts his head at Malvo’s inquiry. ”Huh, no. Er, maybe? Me and some satyrs were on a wine run when we got distracted by some music and figured why not. Some sort of festival I think...” his words trail off as his face gets thoughtful. ”Roslar’s Coffer. A town.” he mumbles.

”How much did I drink last night?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

"Hmm... Now this is interesting. I can make something out on this faded carving. There's an eye here that's connected to Aranzi, the Herald of Aroden and an important figure during the Shining Crusade. Also, Sir Priest, on the carving that looks like you, there's a symbol of Sarenrae on the shield." Artyom makes a note of this in the journal. "By the by, do any of you remember what happened to us? Anything that could explain how we got into this? The last memory I have is attending the Festival with my sister."

Journal Page 1:
Arrived at Roslar's Coffer. Defenses and the reconstruction seem to be sound from cursory glances. Will need to examine further to be sure.

Arrived at Lucky Cup. Construction and architecture is sound. Could be improved and made better. Vibia refusing help with this. Remember to put this into plan.

North walls seem sound. Noticed that foundation is soft under them. Possible risk in future?

Western walls seem to have some weakness and damage. Need to get these walls repaired and fortified as soon as possible.

Southern walls and Eastern walls have little damage. Mostly from animals scratching walls and underneath. Will fix this and discuss fortification.

Buildings seem to be mostly fine. Some seem to be beginning to run down. Shouldn't be a problem to fix.

Vibia's been talking about a festival happening in town. Wants me to come along and have fun. I believe that I need to continue my work before something terrible happens.

Journal Page 2:
Woke up in a sarcophagus. No memory about how I got here. There are four other people here as well within other sarcophagi. Crate with supplies here as well. Vibia doesn't seem to be around. Need to find her as soon as possible!

From the architecture, it appears to be a crypt. Various carvings on north wall, heroic in nature. Halfling on wolf, elf crouching in shadows, human with great sword beneath a tree, an older cleric, and a man with a raven casting magic. They seem to resemble myself and the others. However, these are not us.

Above carvings: "Red Shrikes - Noble Companions in the War Against Evil, Rest Well, my Friends." Red Shrikes have connection to Roslar and the Shining Crusade. Need to research. Possible death? Joke?

Equipment on carvings are what was being used during Shining Crusade (900 years ago).

A sixth sarcophagus is in room. Empty. Carving above is too worn and faded (ours seem to be newer. Look into?). Can make out religious eye symbol. Relates to Arazni, Herald of Aroden and central figure during Shining Crusade. Symbol of Sarenrae on shield of priest carving. Possible patron god? If so, is this connected? Or mere coincidence?


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

”Festival? Yeah, we went to a festival, and drank our drink, and laughed, and sang... and then I woke up here.” Ridill says as he closes his eyes and tries to go over last night’s events. ”The wine was good at least... maybe a little too good.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A
Artyom wrote:
Artyom only glances at the priest before pulling out a journal and an ink pen. "In a situation like this, it helps to know the strengths of everyone."

"Oh, good grief, he brought a ledger with him."

Artyom wrote:
"Also, Sir Priest, on the carving that looks like you, there's a symbol of Sarenrae on the shield."

"Don't call me sir! Do I look like a knight to you?" Tornell slaps his prodigious gut to accent his point.

"Great, he was a priest of Sarenrae. Not exactly an uncommon deity, even 900 or so years ago. He could afford a fancy shield. All I got is this wooden emblem," he holds up his holy symbol, currently acting as a light source.
Artyom wrote:
"By the by, do any of you remember what happened to us? Anything that could explain how we got into this? The last memory I have is attending the Festival with my sister."
Ridill wrote:
”Festival? Yeah, we went to a festival, and drank our drink, and laughed, and sang... and then I woke up here.”

"That.. sounds about right. I'd assume we all drank a bit too much, except little knight there was on duty last I saw. Unless I got drunk and passed out before lunch... (Which I admit isn't outside the realm of possibility)... that means we weren't all sloshed before being brought here."

"Well, anyway, we ain't getting out any faster sitting around here talking and taking notes. I'm all for... uhh... What was your name again, little knight? Either way, good idea. Get in position. Might as well die in an organized fashion."

Tornell moves to the supplies and picks through them, picking up the hooded lantern, and several flasks of oil. "Guess I'll be the lightbearer. Kind of my job description." He also picks up the pewter mug. "Oooh, this could be useful."

"Anyways, anything else? Let's get going, I gotta hit a latrine."


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo cringes slightly at being referred to as "little knight", but politely says nothing until asked for his name.

"Master Sergeant Malvo. You can call me 'Sergeant', or 'Sarge' if you don't have time for two syllables. Just don't call me 'sir', I work for a living." He smiles a bit as he gives the standard non-commissioned officer line.

I'm ready to open the door and see what is beyond!


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara has been quiet the whole time the others were speaking, taking in the strange carvings above the boxes they awoke in.

"Let's get a move on, then!"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"I always have time for syllables, but 'Sarge' is cool," Ridill states.


.

You group up at the door, count down, and with Ridill in front you swing it open.

This room contains several low shelves covered with rags and loose bones. A hallway extends to the southeast, while a stone door to the east is carved with the image of several heroic figures standing solemnly together.

As Ridill takes a step into the room, his head snaps to the left as he hears the clatter of bones. Lurching to its feet is an animate skeleton that lunges for the party!

Initiative:

Alara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Malvo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Tornell: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Ridill: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Artyom: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Spooky Skeleton: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Round One:

Ridill
Malvo
---
Skeleton
---
Tornell
Artyom
Alara

Ridill and Malvo are up! The map is live.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Aw, someone's already pre-killed em! Where's the fun in that?" Ridill says as he steps up, sword swinging in time with his step.

Greatsword: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 = 10


.

As Ridill approaches the skeleton, he notices something truly weird. Rather than approaching in a bipedal fashion, it is approaching on all fours with the wrists bent inwards and the head at a strange, impossible angle. Everything about its movements seems unnatural and wrong.

However, it's not a particularly mighty foe and Ridill steps in with a huge overhand swing. The greatsword cleaves through the bone, destroying the skeleton instantly.

End of Combat


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"And now I've rekilled it... whatever it was..." Ridill chuckles before looking around

Is there another door at the end of the hallway or just the relief one?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"Well, that was quite efficient! Carry on, Mister Ridill!"

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 to try to identify it.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

"What the hell?"

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

"That's weird. Skeletons don't usually do that. I mean, I've heard of necromatic experiments that use bones to build all sorts of things, but that takes time, effort, and resources. Just a regular animated skeleton doesn't seem worth the effort to reanimate it all screwy."

"Ah, well. Smashed now, whatever it was."

Tornell raises the lantern and illuminates what he can.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Oh, good grief, he brought a ledger with him."

Artyom continues to write. "And a good thing I have. I was hired by Vigil to come to Roslar's Coffer to look over the defenses, the walls, and the buildings to evaluate them, note any damage or weknesses, and to send a report back so that they can address those issues. So, of course, I would have a journal on me. In this situation, it is wise to keep notes. They may have the answers we seek."

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Don't call me sir! Do I look like a knight to you?" Tornell slaps his prodigious gut to accent his point.

Artyom glances at the priest. "I mean no offense. Just giving you the respect you deserve as a member of your faith."

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Great, he was a priest of Sarenrae. Not exactly an uncommon deity, even 900 or so years ago. He could afford a fancy shield. All I got is this wooden emblem," he holds up his holy symbol, currently acting as a light source.

Artyom nods at this. "Duly noted." He adds this to the journal.

Ridill wrote:
”Festival? Yeah, we went to a festival, and drank our drink, and laughed, and sang... and then I woke up here.”

Artyom nods at this.

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"That.. sounds about right. I'd assume we all drank a bit too much, except little knight there was on duty last I saw. Unless I got drunk and passed out before lunch... (Which I admit isn't outside the realm of possibility)... that means we weren't all sloshed before being brought here."

Artyom nods at Tornell's explanation as well, making a note of it.

Malvo wrote:
"Master Sergeant Malvo. You can call me 'Sergeant', or 'Sarge' if you don't have time for two syllables. Just don't call me 'sir', I work for a living." He smiles a bit as he gives the standard non-commissioned officer line.

Artyom nods. "A pleasure, Sergeant." When the command to leave is given, Artyom nods. "Very well. I wish to get out of here as soon as possible." Ricky nods, ready to get going.

When the unnatural skeleton pops up, Artyom jumps a bit. But that stops when Ridill destroys it. Getting a bit closer and pulling out the journal, Artyom says, "The priest is right. That was unnatural. Although, I wouldn't dismiss it right away." He writes and looks around, with Ricky doing the same.

Artyom's checks
Knowledge (arcana) to determine what brought the skeleton back: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Profession (architect): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Heal to determine cause of original death: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Perception: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 2 = 16

Ricky's checks
Knowledge (arcana) to determine what brought the skeleton back: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0
Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (6) - 2 = 4
Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Heal to determine cause of original death: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

These checks should cover the room, the skeleton, anything of interest, the carvings on the stone door, etc.

Journal Page 2 (updated):
Woke up in a sarcophagus. No memory about how I got here. There are four other people here as well within other sarcophagi. Crate with supplies here as well. Vibia doesn't seem to be around. Need to find her as soon as possible!

From the architecture, it appears to be a crypt. Various carvings on north wall, heroic in nature. Halfling on wolf, elf crouching in shadows, human with great sword beneath a tree, an older cleric, and a man with a raven casting magic. They seem to resemble myself and the others. However, these are not us.

Above carvings: "Red Shrikes - Noble Companions in the War Against Evil, Rest Well, my Friends." Red Shrikes have connection to Roslar and the Shining Crusade. Need to research. Possible death? Joke?

Equipment on carvings are what was being used during Shining Crusade (900 years ago).

A sixth sarcophagus is in room. Empty. Carving above is too worn and faded (ours seem to be newer. Look into?). Can make out religious eye symbol. Relates to Arazni, Herald of Aroden and central figure during Shining Crusade. Symbol of Sarenrae on shield of priest carving. Possible patron god? If so, is this connected? Or mere coincidence? Priest is a member of Sarenrae's church.

Others have said that they don't remember much. Just being at the festival; then waking up here.

Halfing is called Malvo, master sergeant

Entered next room. contains several low shelves covered with rags and loose bones. A hallway extends to the southeast, while a stone door to the east is carved with the image of several heroic figures standing solemnly together. Who are these figures?

Attacked by skeleton. Killed in one hit. Seems to be unnatural with how it looked and moved. Rather than approaching in a bipedal fashion, it is approaching on all fours with the wrists bent inwards and the head at a strange, impossible angle.


.

The group gather over top of the skeleton and start talking to themselves as they try to figure things out. Although Tornell and Malvo know very well what a skeleton is, the movements on this one were a little odd as animate skeletons move in a human-like, if accelerated manner.

Artyom's own expert analysis of what's gone on is puzzling because it appears this was not animated through necromancy or conventional magic.

As you crowd around, something odd happens - a strange knot of bone at the base of the spine suddenly unfurls. It looks like an insect made of fish bones, but with glowing red eyes. It immediately starts scuttling for the south door, trying to get away.

It does not appear any of you have the required knowledge skill for this particular critter.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Ridill will squash the bug with his boot.


.

Missed a bit in the checks.

The original cause of death in this skeleton is hard to discern but a glance indicates it may have just died of natural causes or even old age. The other skeletons in this room appear to have died similarly peaceful deaths with a couple of exceptions.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

If Ridill is unsuccessful at stopping the bug, Malvo will also try.

"Hey, that little critter may be part of the problem! Try to get it!"

If we aren't able to catch and study the bug:
"Well, let's follow it and see where it leads. On your guards, folks!"


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

After making his observations, making his notes, and stashing the journal back into his bag, he says to the others, "Well, all of these skeletons, including our friend, seem to have passed due to natural causes or old age. There are a few exceptions here and there. However, the real interest is in our friend here. It wasn't animated through necromancy or conventional magic. That's what concerns me."

When the bug pops out of the skeleton's spine, Artyom shouts in shock! "What is that?!"

If neither Ridill or Malvo are successful in capture:

Artyom shouts, "Ricky! Get the bug!" Ricky dives down to try and intercept as the wizard tries to grab it.

If we can't capture it:

Artyom nods. "A sound idea. But we shouldn't go charging after it without preparing. I can pass out a resistance spell for you. I also have a mage armor potion, if anyone needs it."

Journal Page 2 (updated):
Woke up in a sarcophagus. No memory about how I got here. There are four other people here as well within other sarcophagi. Crate with supplies here as well. Vibia doesn't seem to be around. Need to find her as soon as possible!
From the architecture, it appears to be a crypt. Various carvings on north wall, heroic in nature. Halfling on wolf, elf crouching in shadows, human with great sword beneath a tree, an older cleric, and a man with a raven casting magic. They seem to resemble myself and the others. However, these are not us.

Above carvings: "Red Shrikes - Noble Companions in the War Against Evil, Rest Well, my Friends." Red Shrikes have connection to Roslar and the Shining Crusade. Need to research. Possible death? Joke?

Equipment on carvings are what was being used during Shining Crusade (900 years ago).

A sixth sarcophagus is in room. Empty. Carving above is too worn and faded (ours seem to be newer. Look into?). Can make out religious eye symbol. Relates to Arazni, Herald of Aroden and central figure during Shining Crusade. Symbol of Sarenrae on shield of priest carving. Possible patron god? If so, is this connected? Or mere coincidence? Priest is a member of Sarenrae's church.

Others have said that they don't remember much. Just being at the festival; then waking up here.

Halfing is called Malvo, master sergeant

Entered next room. contains several low shelves covered with rags and loose bones. A hallway extends to the southeast, while a stone door to the east is carved with the image of several heroic figures standing solemnly together. Who are these figures?

Attacked by skeleton. Killed in one hit. Seems to be unnatural with how it looked and moved. Rather than approaching in a bipedal fashion, it is approaching on all fours with the wrists bent inwards and the head at a strange, impossible angle.

Skeletons seem to have passed due to natural causes or old age. No necromancy or conventional magic used for reanimation. What is this?


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara blinks as her attention is called to the broken skeleton and the... bug.

"Huh? Sorry--I was thinking. Yeah. Weird skeleton. Still no idea what's going on here."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom rolls his eyes and opens his journal. "Here. Page 2. Should help explain things."

Sorry if I'm coming across as kind of mean.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A
Artyom wrote:
"I mean no offense. Just giving you the respect you deserve as a member of your faith."

"Oh, please. You could call me Baldo McLardsalot, and that'd probably be more respectful than I deserve. I've sure been called worse by worse people. Call me Tornell, or Brother, or Friar, or Tubby, or whatever."

Artyom wrote:
Artyom nods at this. "Duly noted." He adds this to the journal.

Tornell stars at Artyom for a moment, before looking at his own holy symbol, trying to figure out what he just said that was worthy of recording. Eventually Tornell just shrugs.

Tornell is caught by surprise, and stays out of the way as everyone else tries to dogpile the bug.
Don't want to jump at it, considering everyone else is making a check. That could get crowded.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara blinks at Artyom and takes the journal from him to read. "Thank you, sir."

She glances up from the journal only once--when everyone else seems intent on smashing the bug.


.

Ricky's CMB: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Ricky flies from Artyom's shoulder at the bug, but he misses the swoop as the bug scurries southwards at astonishing speed. It rushes down the hallway to the southeast and out of sight of your light.

The hallway extends for a while before opening into a large room you can't quite see into yet. An alcove with some supplies in it is to your left.

Lemme know if you're in hot pursuit or checking out the alcove.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

"Lemme check those supplies out." Alara starts to approach the alcove, her eyes darting about in search of unpleasant surprises.

Perception?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Riastrad was about to give chase on instinct of seeing something scurry away from him but Alara calling out about supplies deprived him of the notion. Also no matter how important it might end up being he was just about to go barreling after a bug.

”Anything good?” he asks her.


.

A small alcove on the east wall of this hallway contains a few stone shelves.

On the shelves you find:

- a dozen candles
- a wavy blue wand
- five light green potions
- a healer's kit
- a silver holy symbol of Aroden

You also find the following as you exit the room you found the skeleton-bug in:

- a masterwork heavy mace
- three pearls

Loot tracker updated.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

"Some candles, a wand, some potion stuff, a medical kit and a silver holy symbol." Alara comes back with the stash. "Looks pretty nice."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Oh, please. You could call me Baldo McLardsalot, and that'd probably be more respectful than I deserve. I've sure been called worse by worse people. Call me Tornell, or Brother, or Friar, or Tubby, or whatever."

Artyom looks at Tornell before saying, "Very well. Tornell it is, then."

Ricky flies back to Artyom, disappointed in himself. "Sorry. I couldn't get it." Artyom gives a small smile. "It's okay, Ricky. You did your best." Artyom watches as the group decides to change tactics and check the alcove rather than go after the bug. He waits for Alara to come back. When she arrives back, Artyom looks in interest. "A wand? Potions? Here, let me examine them." He then takes the items and looks them over.

Spellcraft (wand): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Spellcraft (potion 1): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Spellcraft (potion 2): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Spellcraft (potion 3): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Spellcraft (potion 4): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Spellcraft (potion 5): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


.

The potions are potions of cure light wounds. The wand sure is wandy.

You make your way southwards into a huge hall.

The marble walls of this large hall are carved with several images of battle, each featuring a knight astride a lean horse. The knight wears no helmet and has long hair and a wide mustache. In each of the images, the knight is charging at undead horrors with a rapier in hand.

Two halls lead out of the western portion of this room, one to the north and one to the south. Three large archways lead out of the room to the east. The archway to the northeast is carved with the words “At My Right Hand, Peace for Years of Righteous Labors”; the archway to the east is carved with the words, “Roslar: Hero and Paladin at His Well-Earned Rest;” and the archway to the southeast reads, “Loyal Abdell, Support Thy Master Always.”

Sprawled in the center of this room is a human-sized metal figure that resembles a skeleton wrapped in robes. The limbs of the figure are askew and melted, as though with acid.

You see the strange bug-thing scuttle to hide in the destroyed skeleton.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara takes in the room with a worried eye.

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 5/11 used | Spells Used: L1 1/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo eyes the bug-creature warily. "Ridill, would you do the honors? If that is what animated the last skeleton, we will probably need to dispatch it before it desecrates more bones."

Malvo lifts his morningstar in one hand just in case it is needed, and allows Ridill to take the lead before stepping in himself.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

Ridill lets out a sigh as he moves over to there the bug infested. "This is gonna be fun..."

Greatsword: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 2) + 3 = 11


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom holds up the potions and the wand. "Potions of cure light wounds. The wand... I'm not sure. I'll need to take a closer look at it or use it to figure out it's use." He and Ricky then look at the pearls to try and judge their worth.

Appraise (Artyom): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Appraise (Ricky): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12

He looks at Alara. "By the by, I would like my journal back when you are finished with it. I feel like I may to update it soon."

Currently...

Artyom looks at the walls and the room in interest. He tries to rack his brain for any information, with Rickey acting the same.

Artyom's checks
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Knowledge (religion) on the wall carvings: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Knowledge (history) on the wall carvings: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Knowledge (religion) on the 'Right Hand': 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Knowledge (history) on the 'Right Hand': 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Knowledge (religion) for Roslar: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Knowledge (history) for Roslar: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Knowledge (religion) for 'Loyal Abdell': 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Knowledge (history) for 'Loyal Abdell': 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Profession (architect): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 = 11

Ricky's checks
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (20) - 2 = 18

Knowledge (religion) on the wall carvings: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13
Knowledge (history) on the wall carvings: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6

Knowledge (religion) on the 'Right Hand': 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13
Knowledge (history) on the 'Right Hand': 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

Knowledge (religion) for Roslar: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7
Knowledge (history) for Roslar: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14

Knowledge (religion) for 'Loyal Abdell': 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16
Knowledge (history) for 'Loyal Abdell': 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16

Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Seeing the bug going for the skeleton, Artyom lets the others go for it since they charged it first. "*sigh* While I wish they would just wait for a plan, it may not be the wisest option at this point."


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

"Oh--right." Alara hands the wizard his journal back. "Thanks."


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell glances over Artyom's shoulder as he carefully inspects the various inscriptions.

"Sheesh, gonna start taking rubbings of them, next?"

Tornell does give the various inscriptions a one-over, however.

Knowledge (History) check in general about Roslar and Abdell: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 4/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom takes the journal back from Alara. "Thank you. And you are most welcome."

When Tornell makes his comment while looking over Artyom's shoulder (which is very easy since the wizard is so short), Artyom looks back at him. "No. But, understanding these may help us figure out where we are, how we got here, and what is going on. 'Leave no stone unturned', as the saying goes." He wishes to update the journal. But the presence of the skeleton bug makes him prioritize that for later.


.

Artyom looks over the wall carvings while the rest of the group starts to advance on the bug-thing hidden in the melty skeleton.

Obviously, everyone knows Roslar since the group is from Roslar's coffer - the hero of the Shining Crusade who died a hero.

However, Artyom knows a little bit more. Roslar was enamored with Arazni, the herald of Aroden and patron saint of the Knights of Ozem. Furthermore, Roslar's death was shrouded in some sort of unidentified scandal. Also, "loyal Abdell" was his favorite horse.

The carvings depict Arazni herself, a tragic tale. After the Whispering Tyrant captured and killed Arazni, her body was stolen and she was animated as a lich bride by the evil ghost wizard Geb during the failed Second Crusade. She now rules as the Harlot Queen along with Geb.

Also that bug is attacking and has a friend.

As the group starts to move in on the skeleton, there's a chittering sound, and then the two red-eyed bug-things lunge out, leaping across the floor for the group!

Initiative:

Artyom: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Tornell: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Alara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Ridill: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Malvo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Bug-things: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Round One:

Tornell
Ridill
Alara
---
Bugs
---
Malvo
Artyom

Tornell, Ridill, and Alara are up! Map is updated.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara yelps, then strides up to the red bug and swings her nunchaku!

Attack vs. FF: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Sneak Attack?: 1d6 ⇒ 2


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -2 INT

"Ha! Smash em good, lass," Ridill says as he moves up alongside Alara to slash-smash at a bug too.

Greatsword: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 3) + 3 = 7


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell stumbles up behind, fumbling with his morningstar. He's not sure if these bug things count as undead, so he doesn't want to try channeling anything yet.

Still +0 BAB, so I move up behind Alara and draw my weapon. (Which you can only do as part of a move with a BAB of +1)


.

Fixed the sharing options on the map. I'll move you guys to positions that make sense.

And yes - if you go before your opponent in round one, your opponent is flatfooted and you get the sneak attack.

GM Rolls:

Ridill AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 Damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 5) + 3 = 14
Alara AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Bite: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 Damage: 1d2 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (5) = 7

Alara's nunchaku connects solidly, but thebug barely seems to notice although it's clear some damage was done. Ridill's huge sword scrapes the ground, missing entirely.

The bugs rear up and begin growling strangely.

Abyssal:

"Fresh meat chariots! We have been hungry for so long brother!"

The bugs lunge for the group, and Ridill's sword flashes, instantly severing one of them in half. Alara's nunchaku whacks the second one, but it manages to launch itself and attach to her leg. It rears up and begins chomping away with horrifying efficiency, the wounds seeping with acid as it attacks!

Round Two:

Tornell
Ridill
Alara (-7)
---
Bug
---
Malvo
Artyom

Alara takes 7 damage! (5 acid) Everyone is up! These guys are size tiny so triggered AoOs as they attacked. One is dead, the other is in the same square as Alara but not grappling or anything.


(-1 WIS) Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 21/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara screams in a blend of fright and pain and swings her nunchaku wildly!

Smack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

51 to 100 of 1,126 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.