GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Book One: The Dead Roads

Loot Tracker | Maps and Images


301 to 350 of 1,022 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”Die already!” Ridill growls.

Greatsword: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 1 = 24
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2, 6) + 3 + 1 = 12
Confirm: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9


1 person marked this as a favorite.
.

That does it. Ridill's insistence the mite die already is finally listened to and with a huge swipe of his sword he ends the mite's life.

End of Combat

You take a moment to recover from the fight and start looking over what appears to be a small pile of treasure the mites looted.

- 10 pounds of silver, ivory, and gold leaf
- A bandolier with four blue potions

Spellcraft or Perception DC 18:

The potions are cure moderate wounds.

Appraise DC 20:

The looted treasure is worth around 260 gold.

The room the mite druid was holed upin looks like it was displaying accolades, although these appear to have destroyed and their constituent parts piled up.

The larger room contains an interesting 3x3 grid in front of the altar with "Follow Along Roslar's Devotion" carved above the grid.

The nine symbols are organized as follows:

Row 1: A mailed fist, a tree, and a tower.
Row 2: A heart, a rapier, and a skull.
Row 3: A horse’s head, a round helm, and a pair of feathery wings.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Malvo looks at the altar with curiosity. "Anyone know much about Roslar himself? My own studies have centered on keeping the undead at bay..."

Is there a knowledge check to know something about "Roslar's Devotion"? And is the grid on the floor, like you could step on the squares in some sort of sequence?


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell takes a close look at the vials.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
"Hey, great! Those blue vials are healing potions. More potent stuff, too. Enough for... Well, not quite everyone..."

Malvo wrote:
"Anyone know much about Roslar himself? My own studies have centered on keeping the undead at bay..."

"Huh? What are you looking at?.."

Tornell looks at where Malvo gestures to the odd symbols.
"Sarenrae preserve me, now there's puzzles?"
Tornell approaches the altar, wracking his slightly sleep-deprived and slightly-hung over brain trying to make sense of the symbols.
Knowledge (History?): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"Puzzles are fun," Ridill comments as he cleans the minuscule amount of gore from his blade and checks for nicks, a sadly common occurrence when fighting opponents who weren't much taller than the floor itself.

"Traps on the other hand..."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom dusts himself off as he looks over their findings.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Appraise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Artyom nods at Tornell's analysis and frowns at the treasure. "He's right. Potions are for curing moderate wounds. However, I can't seem to determine how much the treasure is worth. I may need to check this again later." Seeing the puzzle, Artyom scratches his chin in interest. He turns to Ricky. "Ricky, look at it from all angles, please." The raven nods and takes off, looking around. They both rack their brains for information.

Artyom's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Artyom's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Artyom's Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Artyom's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Artyom's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 2 + 1 = 20
Artyom's Profession (architect): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Ricky's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Ricky's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2
Ricky's Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7
Ricky's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16
Ricky's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Ricky's Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


.

Artyom takes a long while to examine the puzzle with the rest of the group. It's fairly obvious that the squares need to be depressed. It is unclear from the manufacture of the puzzle what happens if the wrong squares are pressed, and if order is relevant.

They are also before an altar to Arazni with the words "Follow Roslar's Devotion" clearly indicating symbols that represent Roslar's devotion should be pressed.

A knowledge check can't magically solve the puzzle, however if you ask specific questions I can provide answers relevant to the checks. Something like "what does X symbol mean" is too broad but if you can think of a way to come at it feel free to be creative. The group has received enough information to solve the puzzle.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT
GM SpiderBeard wrote:

This wide room has a hallway leading out of the north wall and a set of stairs leading up to the east. An elaborately lifelike image carved into the south wall depicts a mustachioed knight kneeling before a slender woman with feathery wings. The woman holds a rapier above her head with one hand while the other is extended to the knight, who is kissing it. Lettering above the image reads, “Faithfulness Always to the Red Crusader.”

Artyom notices that the scene of Roslar meeting what must be Arazni is done in an art period of the time that is normally reserved for scenes of passion or intimacy.

GM SpiderBeard wrote:

The larger room contains an interesting 3x3 grid in front of the altar with "Follow Along Roslar's Devotion" carved above the grid.

The nine symbols are organized as follows:

Row 1: A mailed fist, a tree, and a tower.
Row 2: A heart, a rapier, and a skull.
Row 3: A horse’s head, a round helm, and a pair of feathery wings.

The only other thing I can think of from "devotion" would be Arazni's former holy symbol, which is a winged rapier on a red backdrop. So maybe heart > rapier > wings??? Of course Ridill has no idea about any of this.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

Do you mean Rows relative to the altar? And in what orientation? That is, Row 1 (Mailed fist, tree, tower) is perpendicular to the altar, and presumably the furthest from it as well? Making sure I understand the likely 'starting' point.

"Ugh... Artyom, could you look through that notebook (I can't believe that's actually proving useful) and refresh us on what we've learned of Roslar's background? 'Follow along Roslar's Devotion.' So presumably follow what he most dedicated himself to in his history. I think."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"Well he really, really, likes this Arazni lady." Ridill comments.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"So I'm thinking about the three chambers we initially saw, one for Roslar, one for Arazni, and one for Abdell. Roslar was a paladin, so maybe the fist for him; Arazni was his love, so a heart; and Abdell was his horse, so the horses head?" Malvo thinks some more and adds, "Although she had wings, didn't she? So maybe ... gah, I hate riddles!"

I've gone through all the old posts and haven't had any inspiration beyond that. :-(


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"Well the horsey was devoted to em, he says, but we dinnae know if it was the other way around."


.

Row 1 is the northernmost row; the tiles in each row are listed from east (closest to the mural) to west (closest to the altar). I see one guess - do you want to attempt that one?


Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara stares blankly at the puzzle. If one squints, one can see the hamster collapsing from exhaustion on its wheel.

"...I could just mash random combinations. Who knows--I might get lucky and solve it first try." She turns around. "Or maybe there's something in here that'll offer a clue..."

She starts poking around the room for hints to the puzzle.

Perception?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None

As the others turn to Artyom for ideas, they see him furiously writing in his journal. It's like he's in a trance. After a while, he's finished writing and looks up at the others. "I've finished updating the journal to be current. As to your questions, I can provide you with the relevant information. Roslar was a paladin during the Crusades under the command of Arazni. He wasn't buried here on his death due to some scandal. Given the images that we have been seeing, it is very likely that he and Arazni were tied to each other romantically. He also has areas in this crypt for his horse and followers. Given the evidence, the solution might be connected to his attachment to Arazni. So it might be heart to rapier to wings. However, that might seem a bit too... easy." He looks at his familiar perched on his shoulder. "Ricky. Help Miss Alara look for any clues." The raven nods and takes off, flying around the room.

Ricky's Perception?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

He looks back at the tiles. "I wonder... if the clues might be in Roslar's past before he became a paladin?" He strokes his chin as he tries to think about any information about Roslar's early life.

Artyom's Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Artyom's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Okay. So my journal is updated and is now on my alias. I believe that Ridill's might be right on the solution. However, I'm just covering our bases and checking Roslar's past. Maybe the solution might be what he was devoted to at each state of his life.


.

Roslar's early life isn't a part of historical record. He becomes known when he distinguishes himself in the Taldan army as a paladin of Arazni and as commander of the Red Shrikes troubleshooters. But he was not known for any other form of devotion.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

My suggestion is Fist - Heart- Horse, but it's mostly a guess. If no one objects, we can go with it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
.

I've heard fist-heart-horse and wings-heart-rapier. PLACE YOUR BETS


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A

"Yeah, fine, might as well go with the first guess. My vote is we just ignore this and keep going, but might as well give it one try. Someone else, that is."


Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara tentatively walks up to the altar and pushes the wings, heart and rapier buttons.

"Here goes..."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"Oh, lass," Ridill calls out when Alara begins activating the tiles before rubbing his head. "Need to keep a better eye on her 'fore she gets cracked right in the face again," he mumbles to himself.


.

Alara presses the wings, the heart and the rapier...

And it works! The puzzle requiring that you show Roslar's devotion demonstrate's Roslar as the rapier, the heart as his devotion, and Arazni as the wings.

The altar goes 'click' and swings aside to reveal a mithral breastplate and masterwork steel shield, both emblazoned with the red-winged rapier; the symbol of Arazni.

From here, doors lead north and south.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”... damn.”


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo breathes a sigh of relief when Alara isn't zapped or stabbed by the puzzle. He then admires the armor and shield hidden behind. "Well, aren't those lovely. Too big and bulky for a wolfrider, but the big knights would fight over those."

After a brief but reverential moment, he turns to either side, looking at the doors. "Well, let's keep going. Form up!"

He points at the southern door, and nods at Alara. "Let's look for traps and tricks, then back off and I'll open the door magically while Ridill covers us."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

"Yay!" Alara jumps up and down for joy.

"So, who wants what?" She asks as she starts poking around the southern door for unpleasant surprises.

Perception?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”I’ll take the chest piece if no-oi! I swear I need to just tie her up at this rate or something.” Ridill thinks aloud before snatching the breastplate then heading over to Alara.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7
Ridill wrote:
"I swear I need to just tie her up at this rate or something.”

Alara's ears perk up and she grins.

Oh my!


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”Oh, hear something?” Ridill asks in a hushed tone when he sees the elf’s ears twitch while she was checking out the door.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo listens to the exchange between Ridill and Alara and chuckles. "Be careful what you say around an elf, my boy. Calistria, you know, makes 'em hear things you didn't mean sometimes."

"If you think that breastplate will fit you, I doubt Roslar would object to loaning it, seeing as we aren't hear by choice. Do you use a shield? That's pretty nice as well."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”Does she also make em bounce around all you can see like wee kittens?” Ridill asks the Halfling before looking back at the shield, then down to his sword. ”Eh, claymore’s aren’t really made to be used with just one hand, Sarge.”

”And if she gets cracked in her bonnie face again by some wee s&#@ and his wrist rocket I am tying her up!”


Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7
Malvo wrote:
"Be careful what you say around an elf, my boy. Calistria, you know, makes 'em hear things you didn't mean sometimes."

"For the record, my family reveres Desna." She says over her shoulder as she continues to examine the door.


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”Ah, see there Sarge, goin and mixin the Elf’s gods up like a bad potluck,” Ridill matter of factly tells the Halfling while taking off his coat and starting to put on his new armor.


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

"Well, a family with good sense, then!" Malvo quips good-naturedly. He stands with Alara while Ridill dons the armor, and prepares to move on.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom smiles as the puzzle is solved. "And that takes care of that." He watches as Alara bounces off and the others banter. "And I'll need to teach her some patience and to keep close. I could learn some sort of spell to help restrict her or I could cast my grease spell to try and immobilize her." He turns to his raven friend. "Ricky. The door, if you please." Ricky nods and flutters to the door. Artyom turns to Tornell. "Are you able to use a shield, Tornell?"

Ricky's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara's eyes widen and she starts to blush.

"...I'm right here, you know..."


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None
Alara Shinrin wrote:

Alara's eyes widen and she starts to blush.

"...I'm right here, you know..."

Artyom turns to Alara. "If you wish to avoid embarrassment, then learn from it. I know you are eager to move on, but a bit of caution is required."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

”Yeah, usually when people get their head bloodied for opening a door they tend to think twice before doing it again. We’re just wanting ya to be more cautious,” Ridill adds, his tone serious.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A
Ridill wrote:
"I swear I need to just tie her up at this rate or something.”"
Alara wrote:
Alara's ears perk up and she grins.
Malvo wrote:
"Be careful what you say around an elf, my boy. Calistria, you know, makes 'em hear things you didn't mean sometimes."

As the conversation continues, Tornell simply stares at the group, one of his eyebrows raising past what seems to be physically possible by human muscular limits, even accounting for his somewhat loose-fitting flesh.

Artyom wrote:
"I could learn some sort of spell to help restrict her or I could cast my grease spell to try and immobilize her."

Tornell affixes his gaze on Artyom, trying to figure out if the young mage is making a weird joke, is so socially unaware he had no idea of the context of the conversation, or is in on this degeneracy.

Artyom wrote:
"Are you able to use a shield, Tornell?"

Tornell's shock at the preceding conversation meant that despite looking right at Artyom, he did not acknowledge the question at first, until the rest of his brain catches up with him.

"Huh? Wha? Shield? What are you... Oh. Oh! Right! Shield! Eeeh, yeah, guess I can use it if the rest of you don't want it. Bit of a pain to use, though. Need one hand free for casting spells. How big is it?"

Seriously, Spiderbeard. How big is the shield? MW Steel Shield? Is it a small shield or large shield?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7
Artyom Julum wrote:
Alara Shinrin wrote:

Alara's eyes widen and she starts to blush.

"...I'm right here, you know..."

Artyom turns to Alara. "If you wish to avoid embarrassment, then learn from it. I know you are eager to move on, but a bit of caution is required."

"No, no, it's not just that. It's..."

Alara sighs. "...never mind."

...does he really not know how risqué he just sounded?


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"We're just worried about ya Alara, you've been banged and dinged more than anyone else here. You can rely on us too." Ridill adds to the conversation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
.

lol loving these characters.

The south door doesn't reveal much at a listen and you yank it open.

The walls of this room are carved with strange sigils in broad circles. The center of the room contains a stone pillar with a large wedge of crystal atop it; the pillar and the floor around it are covered with more of the strange glyphs. Curled up next to the pillar is the husk of a small blue humanoid. The only door in this room leads out to the north.


Ki Points: 4/4|Female Elf Ninja 3|HP: 15/22|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +2 Fort, +5 Ref, +0 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +7

Alara starts to move forward to be the first into the room, then she stops and bids Ridill to go in first.

How big is the shield we found, GM?


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
Tornell affixes his gaze on Artyom, trying to figure out if the young mage is making a weird joke, is so socially unaware he had no idea of the context of the conversation, or is in on this degeneracy.
Alara Shinrin wrote:

"No, no, it's not just that. It's..."

Alara sighs. "...never mind."

...does he really not know how risqué he just sounded?

Artyom looks at Tornell and Alara as they stare at him. "What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Ricky flutters to his shoulder. "It might have something to do with what you just said." Artyom looks at Ricky. "What do you mean?" Ricky tilts his head. Didn't that sound... off to you?" Artyom blinks. "What do you mean?" Ricky blinks. "That didn't sound... mature to you?" Artyom deadpan stares at the raven. "I'm not following." Ricky blinks a few times before sighing. "You know, I can't tell if you're being serious or not." Artyom turns back to his journal. "Hmm..."

Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Huh? Wha? Shield? What are you... Oh. Oh! Right! Shield! Eeeh, yeah, guess I can use it if the rest of you don't want it. Bit of a pain to use, though. Need one hand free for casting spells. How big is it?"

Artyom nods. "Very good. If it is small enough, then it should be a good asset."

The Next Room...

Artyom and Ricky manage to get a look into the room. They try to figure things out from where they are.

Artyom's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Artyom's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Artyom's Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Artyom's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Artyom's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 = 6
Artyom's Profession (architect): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Ricky's Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (11) - 2 = 9
Ricky's Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (5) - 2 = 3
Ricky's Knowledge (history): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17
Ricky's Knowledge (religion): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (12) - 2 = 10
Ricky's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Ricky's Profession (architect): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness

Malvo notes the blue figure. "Ridill, would you mind poking that guy there ... just to make sure he's really dead, and not got one of those bugs about to stand him up?"


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

Ridill gives Alara a grateful smile, and then nods to Malvo. While Artyom stared intently at the pillar and poked his brain Ridill moved intently to poke the corpse with his sword.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +3, CMD: 13 | F: +4, R: +1, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 2:1+1 | Channel Energy: 5 | Active conditions: N/A
Artyom Julum wrote:

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"It might have something to do with what you just said."
"What do you mean?"
Didn't that sound... off to you?"
"What do you mean?"
"That didn't sound... mature to you?"
"I'm not following."
"You know, I can't tell if you're being serious or not."
"Hmm..."

"Sheesh. Your familiar feeds on corpses and is somehow more socially aware than you."

Quote:
The walls of this room are carved with strange sigils in broad circles. The center of the room contains a stone pillar with a large wedge of crystal atop it; the pillar and the floor around it are covered with more of the strange glyphs. Curled up next to the pillar is the husk of a small blue humanoid. The only door in this room leads out to the north.

"Well, this screams trap. Then again, so has the rest of this hole. Probably don't touch that center gem, sounds prudent. No doorway out of here, so let's move on. Nothing in the room looks worth messing with."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Bard (Arcane Duelist) 3 | HP: 23/23 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+2, CMD:13 | F:+2, R:+4, W:+3 (+7 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+8 (+10 with HA) | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 3/11 used | Spells Used: L1 0/4 | Active conditions: Heightened Awareness
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Well, this screams trap. Then again, so has the rest of this hole. Probably don't touch that center gem, sounds prudent. No doorway out of here, so let's move on. Nothing in the room looks worth messing with."

"On the contrary, everything in every room is worth messing with. We need information, and every scrap we can get from this place could be useful."


M Human Cavalier 3 | HP: 34/34 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +4 | Init: +2| Perc: +11 Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1, -1 INT

"Yeah, what Sarge said!" Ridill calls back as he pokes the corpse.


.

Game does not specify. Size medium light steel shield (Roslar was a human who used a rapier. Seems appropriate.)

Ridill gives the corpse one hell of a poking. It's very dead and in fact looks drained and withered. Nothing jumps out to eat you. However, the poked corpse appears to have some goodies on it.

Beyond a tiny dagger and six darts, a jasper figurine of a frog is tucked into its belt.

Artyom gets to work trying to figure out what the hell this gem is.

The runes are his first clue, and he deciphers them as being runes of binding and the religious aspect of them indicates that what is bound is likely undead. This is likely an original feature of the tomb - it looks like the room was built specifically to hold whatever this is.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 3 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +6 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 1/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 5/7 | Active conditions: None
Brother Tornell Alderwyn wrote:
"Sheesh. Your familiar feeds on corpses and is somehow more socially aware than you."

Artyom turns to Tornell. "Hmm..." Ricky, on the other hand, bristles at this. "Sir! I take exception to that! I don't feed on corpses! What do you take me for? Some kind of animal?!"

After some time (and discussion with Ricky), Artyom has managed to figure out what this is. "The runes. They are runes of binding. The religious aspect to them seems to show that whatever they're binding is likely undead. Given the architecture, this is an original feature to the tomb. It appears that this room was specifically designed and built to hold whatever this is. Hang on..." Artyom digs into his spell component pouch and pulls out a piece of clear crystal. After some gestures and chanting, his eyes glow a pale yellow as his spell is cast. He begins to try and read the runes to get an idea of the spell they are specifically.

Casting Read Magic. Yay! Finally casting a spell!

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

301 to 350 of 1,022 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.