GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Roll 20

LOOT!


101 to 150 of 1,703 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6

Feena considered the question put to her about the sword and focused on it after casting a quick spell once more. She examined it magically for a moment and collected her thoughts before responding on it's properties.
spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
When she finished examining the sword and calling up the lights again Feena turned her thoughts to the creature and whether it would bother them more. She wasn't entirely sure what it would do so she hedged her answer as she said, "I don't know but given it's abyssal in nature it seems likely that we'll be attacked again."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj nods and addresses the bugs, pointing with his knife for emphasis, not really caring if they understood Common. "You roaches stay out of our way or I'll pin ya to the floor."

With that as settled as it was likely to be for the moment, Raj slinks toward one of the southern doorways to look and listen for trouble. Even there, he keeps one eye on the statue for signs of bug movement.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Feena does not detect any magical properties on the sword.

To Rajuna's south a small alcove on the east wall of a hallway contains stone shelves with some boxes and bags. On the floor are several shiny plates of insectile exoskeletons that glimmer with a faint red glow.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Now that there is a light source, Varryk cedes the scouting to Raj and groups up in the rear of the party, eyes constantly moving to search for danger.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya will take time to search the northern room thoroughly. As she looks, her mind finally loosens from a tense knot and she begins thinking about Roslar and the carvings.

Knowledge (religion) on Roslar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Knowledge (religion) on the Carvings: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

She smiles to herself as she remembers Roslar's infatuation with Arazni. It was something that Hilde had told her in the early days. It's one of the reasons Hilde had requested this area for recruitment, as she hoped maybe he had found some new tidbit of information on her. Hilde had hated more than anything how Arazni had been tortured and abused and yet people had the audacity to call her the "Harlot Queen" for it. Marya knew that there was a deeper reason, some trauma that Hilde carried and made her project herself onto the Goddess, but Marya never pushed her for it. Even if she wanted to know, it wasn't her place to ask, and she figured it would come out in time. Regardless of the reasons, though, Hilde had made it her interest learn as much as she could about Arazni. She had wanted to write a book about her someday, a radical history that would completely change what we know and paint her as a good person given the short stick again and again. During their time in Westcrown and Kantaria, Hilde would spend hours searching any archives she could find for anything relating to Arazni. When they were in playful moods, Marya would play the Iomedae to Hilde's Arazni in scenarios ranging from the sentimental and embarassing to talk about to the blush-worthy and private. That their situation now mirrors that of the divine couple is not lost on Marya.

Thus, Marya easily recognized the carvings as depicting Arazni.

As she searches, Marya gives her newfound comrades a brief update on what she knows. Her voice takes on a surprising peace and warmth to the other coffin-wakers, reflecting the peace and warmth of these memories to Marya. "That woman in the carvings is Arazni, the Red Crusader, and patron of the Knights of Ozem. Roslar was quite enamored with her. Probably why he named his retainers the 'Red Shrikes.' Arazni was Aroden's herald before Iomedae. The Whispering Tyrant killed her and threw her down before Iomedae and Her Knights of Ozem at the Battle of Three Sorrows. Her Fifth Act was to carry on the battle regardless and send Erum-hel, Lord of Mohrgs, back to Orv to boot." Marya had never fully understood why the Fifth Act was such a miracle, as all the Acts were supposed to be. It was a horrible situation, but a miracle? She finally understood when she saw Hilde dead before her. It would have been a miracle for her to raise her sword at that point, much less fight anything, much much less defeat one of the greater undead. One of many reasons she accepted Hilde's interpretation of Arazni and Iomedae as in-love.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Marya Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Which searching and talking, Marya uncovers that the shelves contain a gold wedding ring inscribed with "For Aloisius; my love, my heart, my morning dove." They also contain a strange single bead of some kind.

As she retrieves the ring and bead, she takes note that stone slabs in this room are extremely unstable and if someone were to exert any pressure at all on them they would collapse and deal significant damage.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

At Raj's question, the unnamed terror that had stalked Varryk's heart finally crystallized into a coherent notion... one that nearly robbed him of his breath.

"They would likely leave us alone," Varryk said quietly, "Unless we ourselves no longer can be counted among the living."

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

"I feel as alive as I ever have," Vlad responds to Varryk. "Perhaps moreso--this strange test is one I intend to overcome."

He listens to Marya's thoughts about Iomedae, always glad to learn something more. When she points out the unstable stone, he takes care to avoid that area.

We're pretty spread out--we should probably agree on an order of exploring different hallways so we don't get separated. Should we start in the one Raj is checking out, then go counter-clockwise from there?


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7
GM ShadowLord wrote:
On the floor are several shiny plates of insectile exoskeletons that glimmer with a faint red glow.

Raj may not know a lot about bugs but he does know that when they shed their skin, it's because they've outgrown it, usually...

Based on the bugs we've already seen, what size is/are the bugs that lost the plates I'm seeing? And why do I feel like Ripley in Alien?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

ooooooh Alien, great idea. Stand right there for a minute! The first one that scurried away (ostovite) was tiny. What’s in front of you now is small.


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

So they were in Roslar's tomb! How curious. Damian listens to Marya's explanation of the carvings, nodding as bits of religious lore learned long ago trickle back into memory. He keeps glancing at the sculpture in the center of the room, fascinated by its broken shape.

As the half-orc utters his cryptic suggestion about no longer being among the living, Damian shakes his head. No, he can feel the heart beating in his chest, the warmth of his own skin, and just like Vlad, he feels more alive than in a long, long time. It's no great test of mettle that inspires and invigorates him, but this, this... unknown, this mystery, something different. It startles him to realize just how complacent his life had become since he had returned to Roslar's Coffer. How empty. How pointless. Sure, he had kept telling himself that he was doing it for the twins - maintaining the farmhouse, searching for tracks in the forest, keeping to himself, all of it.

But now, he sees how he had been lying to himself, how fear and grief had hollowed him until he was just a shell of a man, an automaton going through the motions, clinging desperately to the shreds of something that could never be whole again.

"Excuse me - Varryk, isn't it? What "they" are you talking about that would leave us alone?"


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

”Those creatures, like the one we just fought. Or whatever other thing might be after ya here. To be completely honest I don’t know that what I’m saying is all that rational, mostly because I’m terrified at the moment.”

As Varryk spoke, the words were matter of fact, almost without emotion. He continued to move about and scan the room, alert for danger, as if he weren’t frightened at all. It’s not that he wasn’t... it’s that abject terror was nothing new. He had been frightened before. At least now, he wasn’t bound, and he had his weapon, and the ability to do something about his situation.


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7
GM ShadowLord wrote:
They also contain a strange single bead of some kind.

Feena, would you detect magic on the bead (after Marya mentions it) when you have a chance, please?

With trepidation, Raj says, "So those little bugs have big brothers... I'm starin' at one of their shells right now."

I'm with Vlad. Let's form up and go area by area. The south area looks huge from what I can see - probably best to hit that last. The other areas seem a bit smaller, so maybe tackle them first? We could explore Marya's door first, just a couple of us to avoid the rock fall - if there appears to be anything worth investigating there.

ShadowLord is Marya's doorway the one marked Roslar: Hero and Paladin at His Well-Earned Rest?

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

I’ll second our scout’s plan.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

The door Marya was at before with the collapsing shelves was the northeast one. I had moved her to the eastern one with some kinda gold sarcophagus and then got distracted and forgot to write a post >_<

Marya sees the rest of the group together and suddenly remembers that she is supposed to be organizing people. She walks back over, considering Varryk's morbid question for only half a moment before deciding it is impossible.

"As I mentioned, I went to Pharasmin seminary before...things happened...and I converted." She pulls The Bones Land in a Spiral out of her backpack and holds it up. "And I still keep up on it, so I guarantee you that none of this is how dying is supposed to work." She puts the book away. "Maybe these are just some variation of the normal creature, or they've been around too long so they've gone screwy."

I'm good with the stick together plan

Marya suddenly remembers the ring she found with the odd bead and she holds it up for Feena. "You have some skill at recognizing magic. Anything going on with this?"


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6

Feena cast her spell again and examined the ring that Marya held up carefully for magical auras.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Rajuna: - No. That particular archway is to the east (right). Marya was to the north which had the words "At My Right Hand", Peace for Years of Righteous Labors".

When Marya holds the ring out and Feena detects magic, she does detect a magical aura but it doesn't come from the ring. She studies the object and tries to ascertain its properties, but she isn't quite able to make out what the item is capable of at this time.

Appraise DC20 - Ring:
The ring is worth 85gp.

I'm unclear where you want to go. There are five rooms that connect to this large room you are all in. You came from the NW, the room Marya was in and fully explored is in the NE, the room with the description noted above and the gold sarcophagus is in east, there's an opening and inscription of “Loyal Abdell, Support Thy Master Always.” to the SE and Vlad is standing in front of the SW with the beetle shell.


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

OK, I think I've got it. I've put Raj near the room he'll snoop in.

Raj takes a cursory look at the ring but can't speak to it's value. He then peeks his head into the room with the gold sarcophagus, looking for any obvious hazards

Appraise DC:20: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 Ring - Fail
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 +1 for Traps


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Rajuna heads to the east to look at the golden sarcophagus room. The stone walls of that room are carved to resemble hanging draperies framing a large dais. Upon the dais stands a large sarcophagus, its lid carved to resemble a sleeping knight with long hair and a wide mustache. This room carries a faint nauseating odor, like putrefying meat.

Rajuna picks up that the awful smell coming from this room is originating from behind the sarcophagus.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

I'll be tailing Raj pretty closely...(though not quite as closely as it apparently showed on his map, which was on top of him! On my map I was a square over.)

Vlad looks over Raj's shoulder into the room.

He sniffs at the air. "What an amazing discovery you've found, Raj," he says with distaste.

Vlad waits for the others to come over, then says "I should check things out--something doesn't seem right," he says.

Once the group has neared, Vlad enters the room.

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya follows Vlad and Rajuna over towards the golden sarcophagus and immediately regrets it, the stench hitting her hard.

"Anything here should have been dead long enough that it's bones and dust at this point. A smell like that means something recently died...or that something un-died, if you know what I mean."

She restrains her overwhelming desire to hold her nose, knowing she needs her sword and shield in-hand if this is something undead.

I figure her take ten on heal is 21, so she knows typical decomposition stages

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj puts a silencing finger to his lips then rests his hand on Vlad and indicates the left (north) side of the sarcophagus. The dark Varisian slinks with unnatural silence along the right (south) side of the coffin, blade poised to strike.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

If there's a baddie maybe we can flank it. Or it could be a mouldering corpse and the baddie is clinging to the ceiling and going to eat our faces.

Action: Stealth double-move (if needed), timing my approach with Vlad.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad nods and moves forward where Raj indicated, but does not take precautions to move quietly.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk observes Vlad and Raj moving in, and readies his bow to attack anything that might threaten them.

Ready Action: Attack enemies that appear


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Rajuna and Vlad both into position, Rajuna quietly so. The creature hidden behind the sarcophagus turns to face Vlad as he approaches, but it is unaware of Rajuna as he slides into position. Behind the sarcophagus is a small, bone shaped cobra. Its body is made of overlapping bone plates, and its eyes are pinpoints of red light.

The creature is unaware of Raj, he may make a surprise round action.

Surprise: Rajuna
R1: Snake, Rajuna, Varryk, Vlad, Marya, Feena, Damian

GM:

Snake!: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Damian: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Feena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Marya: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Rajuna: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Rajuna: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Varryk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Vlad: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Perception?: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

~ Surprise Round ~

No time to switch weapons now.

While it may not be the best tool for the job, Rajuna doesn't hesitate. He tries to drive the dagger between the plates armoring the snake's back.

BOOM:
STAND: MW Fang S/P (crit: 19+/2x)
MODS: flank, sneak
HIT: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 14
DAM: 1d4 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 1 + (5) = 10

Status:
HP: 10 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Can't open the map atm. GM, does my ready action go off, or can I not see the thing from where I am?


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

I believe you can't see it from where you are based on the chat in roll20, sorry. :(


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The only two that can see it are Vlad and Rajuna. Even at that, the light is all coming from outside of the room and it's in the shadows blocked by the sarcophagus.

Rajuna's strike hits the snake creature, but his blade is ineffective against the bone-snake and the creature ends up less damaged that it should have been from his strike.

Snake ATTACK!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

The snake turns around and lashes out at Rajuna, but old lazer-eyes takes the wrong angle and misses.

R1: Snake, Rajuna, Varryk, Vlad, Marya, Feena, Damian


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya takes a brief step forward. Five foot step

"Hey, you all remember that fancy swordplay I mentioned?"

She performs a dazzling display of prowess with her longsword, twisting it about and moving between slash and parry and parry and slash.

Full round action to use Iomedae's Inspiring Sword. All allies within 30 ft that can see Marya get a +2 sacred bonus on all attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for the next round. Looks like that is Damian, Raj, and Vlad.


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

~ Round 1 ~

Raj has time for consideration between the second his fang failed to bite and the moment the creature turned its unholy attention on him. *sigh* Well, this looks to be another poor life choice...

Buoyed up for some inexplicable reason by whatever-the-hell Marya was doing... Raj decides going fang to fang against an undead cobra would be stupid. The scarred man drops his blade in mock surrender, whips out the ungainly mace with difficulty, and tries to bash the unholy light from the monster's eyes...

FREE: Drop Fang
MOVE: Draw Mace
STAND: Smack!

BOOM:
STAND: MW Heavy Mace B (crit: 20/2x)
MODS: Flank, Sneak, Inspiring Sword
HIT: 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 2 + 2 = 18
DAM: 1d8 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 1 + (4) = 12

Status:
HP: 10 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Rajuna's mace connects squarely with the snake made of bones, shattering it into a million pieces and eliminating the threat before it ever had a chance to become one. Out of initiative!


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"What is it? What did you find?" Damian advances cautiously, having seen Rajuna stab at something hidden, then Marya flourish her blade. Another animated skeleton?


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj regards the mace, "Huh! It's like swingin' a crowbar... but I can't complain about the results."

See if there is anything interesting in/around the remains?

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

He turns to face the Paladin so his lips can be read. "T'was a cobra skeleton." He estimates the height with his hand.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The only other thing that is interesting in the eastern room is the golden sarcophagus which is currently sealed.


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian nods at the explanation, looking a little conflicted. Perhaps it had been a guardian of the tomb, defending against intruders. Yes, they were here against their will, but perhaps it would be better to simply seek the exit, rather than poke around and take things. Glancing at Marya, he gives voice to his thoughts.

"Perhaps it would be better to simply seek the exit, and not take things that we do not absolutely need. This place is clearly guarded, we should avoid provoking the guardians." A thought occurs to him, derived from Varryk's hypothesis earlier. "Or those being guarded. Just in case."


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Is the smell still permeating the sarcophagus room, or is it dissapating? Or does it otherwise seem like the bone snake was the source?

Marya holds up a hand. "Just a sec. With you on only taking what's needed. Wanna make sure the smell is gone. If that snake thing wasn't the cause, then there's probably an undead in that sarcophagus, and we'll need to take care of it. A moral obligation and a practical one, as we don't want something in there sneaking out and getting the drop on us." She tilts her head up and sniffs, even as her now tightly-shut mouth turns down in a scowl at the smell.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad had watched in stunned silence as Raj struck the creature not once, but twice, before he could reaction.

He's--quick--.

Lowering his weapon, he nods at the sentiments of the others. "We should not desecrate a holy place, but perhaps there is already some vile influence here. How else would you explain what has happened to us? I suggest that we have been drugged, and some cult has desecrated this tomb and placed us inside, perhaps to make it look as if we have done something we ought not to have."

Looking at the golden sarcophagus, he says "I do not know if the snake was making that smell, but perhaps there is something else inside. We should check it out. Further, if there is something vile happening here, we ought to take these artifacts under our control and give them to the proper authorities, so that no immoral hand may pollute them."

It sounds like we're in agreement to at least check the stinky coffin. I'd propose we have someone open it while the rest of us prepare to attack anything evil inside.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk moves over to stand near the doorway, ensuring he has a line of fire to the coffin, as well as to the rest of the room. He nods over at Vlad, keeping watch as best he can.

"I agree. Ready when you are."

Varryk holds his bow steady, ready to draw and fire at the first sign of danger.

Ready Action; fire at nearest visible enemy that appears. Will not be available much for the rest of the day so here is an attack roll if necessary.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 +2 if Undead.

Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5 +2 if Undead.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Once everyone is in position, Vlad nods and pushes the lid open.

str: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

A few sniffs can pinpoint that the snake was the source of the smell. Since it's dispatching, the smell is already beginning to fade.
Let me know if you still want to open the sarcophagus.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Rajuna goes over the sarcophagus with a professional eye, looking for any indications of a trap on it as well as trying to determine if it is truly sealed or if the top separates from the base.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 +1 for Traps

Having listened and considered his allies' thoughts, he decides to share his own. "Here's how it looks to me... This crypt had guardians and invaders. So far, looks like the invaders won an' they wern't grave-robbers. We've found too many valuable trinkets out in the open; no robber could miss those. This place was vi'lated by the dead and them abyss bugs at least. I'm thinkin' that either those bugs or something we h'aint seen yet spits acid and it melted down that guard out there. That's concernin'."

The scarred Varisian retrieves his blade from where he dropped it. "Don't know how we ended up in those coffins, but nothin' points to evil folk to my mind. Can't see they'd have a reason to do it nor leave us with all our gear, extra equipment, or manufacture old effigies that look like us. Don't see how any of that benefits a villain. Ta me, this smacks more of some sort of celestial mumbo-jumbo - reincarnation, destiny, that sort of silliness."

"If this is some higher planes ta-do, I'd like to think those folks are trying to kit us out. So we should take what will help, finish any invaders we can find, but not desecrate nothin'." He shrugs, "But what do I know?"

If I find a trap, I'd like to try to determine if it is an original one - built to defend the crypt, or something some baddie added after the fact.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya leans up against the doorway to the sarcophagus.

"I'm with you in thinking that whatever's going on, it's not about money. You have to remember though that 'benefit' means a lot of different things to a lot of different creatures. For example, devils wouldn't give two s~+#s about our gear or any trinkets...but they could always use more souls, and they are willing to play the long game with schemes to get them. I'd guess this weirdness is something more along those lines."

She sets her sword against the wall for a moment and wipes the sweat off her face before tightening her braid.

"I can also tell you that me being here is proof enough that this weirdness doesn't herald some great destiny. I've been alive long enough to know that my life doesn't work that way. So don't get your hopes up that someone in the higher planes has taken an interest in us."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6

Earlier:
Feena handed the ring back to Marya and said, "Sorry, it's got magic on or around it but I can't identify it. I'll think on it and try again tomorrow."

Now:
Feena was surprised when the skeletal cobra attacked. So surprised that she couldn't even react before the fight was over with. As they prepared to open the sarcophagus she moved the quartet of lights inside the room for better light. Truthfully she didn't want to know what might be inside of there and hoped it would be nothing so it was with no small relief that they changed their minds.

With the discussion turning from what might be in the sarcophagus to how they had gotten there Feena felt they were getting on more ground much more suited to her. "I certainly don't think it was about money either but I don't know that I can agree it wasn't evil folk that caused it but I can accept they didn't do it directly or even intentionally. Maybe we ended up in there by some kind of accident." She sighed, "The truth is we just don't have enough information to know."

the lovely librarian's gaze turned to any objects in the room they could take and said, "While I prefer to leave the dead what is rightfully theirs in a tomb like this these are the tombs of heroes correct? I am willing to believe that, with what we've run into, the place has been desecrated by something and they would approve of us using what we find in here to rectify the situation."

Feena's eyes became worried then as she realized something else now that she'd talked it through. "If our plight was a simple accident of whatever might be going on, what is happening to the town and it's people right now?"


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)
Feena wrote:
Feena's eyes became worried then as she realized something else now that she'd talked it through. "If our plight was a simple accident of whatever might be going on, what is happening to the town and it's people right now?"

Damian stiffens at that suggestion and has to try a couple of times before he can get his voice to work. "It- it doesn't seem like something that the... that, um." He glances at Varryk, swallows hard and tries again. "I don't recall anything like this happening in the last raid. But if the town is in danger, then it is even more important that we find the way out, as soon as possible." He takes a few steps towards the southwestern door, looking over his shoulder at the others to see what they do.

"Rajuna? Does that path look like it might lead us out of here?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Feena - The ring doesn't detect as magical, it's the bead.

Searching the sarcophagus, Rajuna is fairly certain that it is sealed and it hasn't been opened as far as he can tell.

Given that, I'm going to assume you aren't going to open it and you are going to move southwest as Damian indicates?


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7
Marya wrote:
"So don't get your hopes up that someone in the higher planes has taken an interest in us."

"Hope ain't the word I'd use. I wanna steer clear of any of them higher or lower planes folks."

Feena wrote:
"If our plight was a simple accident of whatever might be going on, what is happening to the town and it's people right now?""

"Maybe this only caught us since we look like those dead shrikes. The town could be none the wiser. No way to know until we get out of here."

To be thorough, I'd like to check the South-East alcove first. If the team wants to move on, Raj will just take a quick look. Here are some basic rolls to keep things moving along.

Stealth (SE Room): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Perception (SE Room): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 +1 for traps
Disable Device (SE Room): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23 +1 for traps

Stealth (SW Room): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Perception (SW Room): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 +1 for traps
Disable Device (SW Room): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 +1 for traps

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad shrugs, unsure which of the many theories floating around is correct. But one thing he agreed with, is they didn't have enough information to figure it out.

"Let's search each room," he says, agreeing with Raj. "I don't want to leave any clue as to what's happened to us behind. There may even be items we find that could help us figure things out."

He waits behind Raj as he searches.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya refreshes her light spell well before its time limit comes up, then picks her sword back up and leans the flat of the blade against her shoulder and strolls over towards where Raj is searching.

”Not too keen on grave-robbing myself. ‘Grave-borrowing’ is a touch better position here. We can always put things back.” She taps her sword flat against her iron holy symbol necklace. ”Iomedae doesn’t care about death and the dead as much as some other Gods.”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

We'll do South East first. If you want to skip it and go south west instead just let me know.

The stone walls of this room are carved to resemble an airy stable with a large stone box at the southern end. The lid of the box is cracked and corroded, as though from powerful acid. An illustration of a lean, regal stallion and the words “No Greater Friend Hath a Man Than His Loyal Steed” are chiseled into the stone above the box.

Rajuna also notes that the bottom of the southeastern wall is crumbled and appears to leads to a small tunnel about 1 foot wide, coincidentally just large enough an osotovite to fit through.

Leaning against western wall of this chamber are the skeletal remains of a large horse but something is off about it. Its skull sits too close it its torso and one leg looks like it has been attached at the wrong spot. Worse yet, Rajuna spots an ostovite attached to the creature in between its rib cage. Better yet, he managed to stay hidden as he peers into the room and the ostovite hasn't noticed him yet.

Raj Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Ostovite Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

101 to 150 of 1,703 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.