GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Roll 20

LOOT!


451 to 500 of 1,362 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Sorry, thought I had posted already about the scrolls. I guess not, or my post got eaten.

Feena examined the murals with interest as they entered the room with the statue and was more than surprised to see both it and the horse move! She thought it might be another Celadon as well but the fact it did nothing more caused her to change her mind. As she approached the alter where the scrolls were she cast a different spell than normal and examined each in turn.

I cast read magic and examine each of the scrolls.

As they sinished their explorations and it was discovered something was talking out of sight where the corridors met Feena nodded her agreement. "I think that is a good idea Rajuna." She took the path that Rajuna did and stayed back at the corner of the hall so she would be concealed for the moment.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Varryk delays, waiting to see what comes of Rajuna's speech. Unfortunately it is not very well recieved. The paniced and scared celedons are hostile and do not simply take Rajuna's words at face value.

"We are not so easily fooled, human! Prepare to die for your attempts to take what is not yours!"

The first guardian rushes forward to Rajuna's north, shoving its longsword through his belly. The second celedon flanks Rajuna, and thrusts its longsword through the rogues back. (4+6=10 damage).

R1: Rajuna, Celedons, Varryk, Vlad, Feena, Marya, Damian R2: Rajuna

GM:

Attack Rajuna: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Attack Rajuna, Flank: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 + 2 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Crit Confirm : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj is @ 0 HP and Staggered.

Oh fu... is the last cogent thought that passes through the rogue's mind before the swords gouge his innards. The unrelenting pain wipes away any pretext of thought in his head, save Vlad would probably love this....

He struggles like a gaffed fish, blood erupting from his mouth.

Status:
HP: 0 / 10
NL: 10 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12

Inspired (1):

Spell Effects:

Marya and Damian will have +1 to HIT due to Ferocious Loyalty... and that might rise to +2 if either of these Celedon b@~&$-slap me into unconsciousness. :)

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 31/33 [37/39 Rage] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad hefts his flail as he prepares for action.

"You are lousy guardians, then!" he exclaims. "You didn't even see how were were trapped here. So be gone!"

If nothing else, Vlad had no concern for his personal safety. He charges to Raj's defense, slamming into one of the guardians from behind.

Heavy Flail (power attack): 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 4 - 1 = 211d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 3 = 8 hurray for minimum damage!

rofl @ Raj's thought.


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya grimaces as she sees Raj take two nasty hits on right after the other. "Aww s$@*." She had been planning to try to talk down the celedons, but Raj looked like he couldn't wait.

Channel Positive Energy to Heal (blessed touch): 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 Halved, so Raj gets 3 HP back
Everyone within 30 ft of Marya gets a +1 sacred bonus to AC and on attack rolls as part of a charge until her next turn


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian moves around the corner just in time to see Rajuna staggering, blood pouring out of him, and the enraged celedons standing over him with bloodied weapons. Without thinking, he rushes forward to interpose his body between the closest divine construct and the stricken peddler.

"No! Noble guardians, this is a misunderstanding! We are here not of our will, and mean no harm! Please! Look into my heart and see that I speak the truth!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Feena heard the Celedn's words and gasped in horror when they attacked Rajuna viciously. She knew this could be very bad and that they shouldn't be fighting these guardians, but she also felt simple reason wouldn't suffice. She decided to do something reckless and dangerous and pray that it wouldn't get her killed. Focusing Feena cast a spell and then stepped in to touch the Celadon that was close to her.

I cast mindlink (harmless, dc 15) and share a brief recap of what has happened to us hoping the thing will halt the fight. Assuming that it doesn't just let me touch it...
touch attack with flank: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 0 + 2 = 9
...well crap.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Damian's words give the celedons pause, almost breaking through their hostile attitudes. They look away from the paladin however, turning back towards the bloody intruder before them. Feena nearly establishes a minklink with one, only missing by the slightest of margins. The party had the best of intentions and yet it seems for the moment, fate was against them.

Varryk Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 1 = 10

Varryk moves into the room from the south and using his horn bow, launches an arrow at the far celedon on the right since Vlad was blocking the target to the north. The shot flies wide, missing.

Vlad slams his flail into the celedon and inflicts moderates amounts of damage, but he can tell it is going to take a lot more than that to take one of these things down.

Both celedons continue their assault on Rajuna. The first one slashes his sword towards the man, but he ducks down out of the way in time to avoid the attack. Unfortunately however, this puts him in a bad position for the second attack which slams into his back. 5 damage which should send Raj to the floor.

R2: Celedons, Varryk, Vlad, Feena, Marya, Damian R3: Rajuna

Celedon Attack: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9
Celedon Attack: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 2 = 18
Rajuna Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

As it takes a touch attack to affect a hostile target with a touch spell does that mean that I can try to touch it again and affect him with the spell without having to recast it?


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

~ Round 2 ~

I think you skipped over my Round 2 which precedes the Celedon beat-down. If I've got that wrong, ignore this post.

Raj staggers backward, staying upright only because the wall - and Marya's timely intervention - stops his headlong collapse. Even through his pain-fueled tunnel vision, the situation was clear to him. Kill the Celedons and we weaken the defenses here. Just need to get outside... He rasps to his allies, "Get out! Get out! This fight ain't worth it." He pushes on the door with all of his failing strength.

FREE: 5' on Map
MOVE: Open Door
MOVE: Open Door

BOOM:
STR Check: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 2 = 7 +2 to check due to Feral Heart since Marya is under threat (kicking off Ferocious Loyalty)
STR Check: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 2 = 8

Status:
HP: 3 / 10
NL: 10 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12

Inspired (1):

Spell Effects:

F%%# those celedons, I'm not giving them a second flanking bonus! :P

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 31/33 [37/39 Rage] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad follows up his first blow with another, this one more powerful.

"You will know the pain of failure for your over-zealousness!"

Heavy Flail (power attack): 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 4 - 1 = 231d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 3 = 13
crit?: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 4 - 1 = 111d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 3 = 14


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Feena - Correct. When you miss with a touch spell you don't lose it and can hold it.

Rajuna - I think I took your earlier post to be your turn. If you took the above action instead then you are still up and have a R2 action.

Vla'd second hit with the flail doesn't critically strike the celedon, but it does another moderate amount of damage to it. While it's still upright, it is showing significant damage and clearly can't take another strike like that again.


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Desperate to try and avoid killing the Celedons Feena stepped forward and tried to touch the closet on once again with the magic held in her hand.
touch attack: 1d20 ⇒ 7


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"I don't want to fight you! Please stop!" Damian, frustrated by his failure to reason with the guardians, continues to cover Rajuna as the man attempts to open the door, hoping that is indeed the way out of this place.

Holding to see what happens once Rajuna opens the door.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I misspoke above, I meant a R3 action. Assuming Marya's +1 AC boots puts Rajuna at 17, his movement and negating the flank bonus from the celedon then causes that hit to miss which should still leave him up for a R3 action.

Desperate to mind-link with the celedon, Feena once again tries to touch the creature to share memories with them. Unfortunately due to the dangers and difficulties of battle, once more she swipes open air.

Try as he might, the doors do not open. Shaking the handles he realizes that the doors have been locked and the key is not present in the lock.

The celedon shouts in response to Damian "If you wanted us to stop you should not have raided Roslar's sacred tomb! You shall NOT disturb his rest! We, the sworn protectors of this great hero, shall stop your incursion RIGHT. NOW!"


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya holds up her holy symbol. "I worship IOMEDAE the INHERITOR like Roslar. I'm not here to loot anything! None of us are!" She turns to show the mite in her backpack. "We defeated the ACTUAL invaders down below. We talked to Number 3. Just ask Number 3 about us."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"It is as she says! We are not looters, we awoke here and are merely trying to survive and find a way out!"

Damian continues to plead with the celedons, arms outstretched with empty hands to show that he wields no weapons.

Diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

~ Round 3 ~

Raj is surprised to be alive... Of course, that situation could change in an instant. He was cornered and penned in by their nominal enemies. There was only one more card to play before violence was the solution. He wasn't willing to martyr himself for these moronic celestial servitors or - at least - he'd go down swinging. Iomedae could take it up with him personally if she was sore about it. He leans his back against the wall, hands behind his back, seemingly defenseless. While the Celedons are distracted by the conversation, he triggers a fang to drop covertly into his hidden hands.

Not bothering to hide his fatigue and wounds, Raj wearily adds to his allies' arguments, "Think about it. I came out openly, without a weapon. I haven't attacked you, despite your assault on me. Most of us haven't attacked you - because we want you to continue your job. Why would your enemies do that? We don't want this fight. Talk to Number 3. If we have your holy assurance that you won't attack us until you speak with 3, we will surrender to you. One of you can guard us while the other finds Number 3. He went to the lowest level to help Number 2. How would we know such a thing without being told? Would Number 3 share that information with an enemy?"

Having said all that he can - and hoping it comes out more eloquently than it sounded to him - he waits tensely for the Celedons to make a choice that could well seal a few fates, ready to strike if either Celedon make an aggressive move.

SWIFT: Draw Blade
READY: Strike the first baddie to launch an attack.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 drawing/holding blade covertly, in case talking fails.
Diplomacy (AA) v DC10: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

READY BOOM:
READY: Fang S/P (crit: 19+/2x)
MODS:
HIT: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 CRIT? If attack goes against RED +2 to HIT for flanking
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Yes? If attack goes against RED +2 to HIT for flanking

DAM: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 If attack goes against RED, add Precise DAM: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Crit DAM: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Status:
HP: 3 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12

Inspired (1):

Spell Effects:


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The celedon who had been injuring Rajuna wants nothing to do with the words of these intruders. He raises his sword and cuts down Rajuna, sending him to the floor.

Celedon Attack Rajuna: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

As the celedon raises his sword and begins to bring it down on the rogue, the other celedon reaches out and grabs the arm of the protector and deflects the blow away from Rajuna. Surely the blow would have taken him to the floor, nearly killing him.

The celedon who attempted to strike spins to the other questioningly. He holds his hand up and says "One, I think they are telling the truth. Your judgment may be falsely applied given our understanding of the previous attack down below. If Three is alive as they say, it does not hurt to pause if they are willing to surrender and lay down their arms?"

The celedon speaking looks to Ms. Belova, the speaker of the words that seemed to have swayed this celedon to interrupt the attack on Rajuna. It looks to see if you are willing to surrender and disarm yourselves. "Well, what say you?"


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya glares at the celedons. They couldn't have made this easy. Still, she sees Raj bleeding out and the choice is obvious. "I can't speak for the others, but I'll surrender if you let me heal Raj. I promised to look after these people, and I'm not losing anyone. Also, once you confirm that we are telling the truth--which we are--you let us go."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The celedons look at each other in silence. One nods to the other in agreement and responds "Agreed. No more violence then. Drop your weapons and we will lower ours and let you tend to your wounded."


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya exhales, not even realizing she was holding her breath. Marya is not holding her sword, so she instead unbuckles her shield as a gesture of goodwill while she rushes towards Raj and sacrifices her last spell to heal him, kneeling down next to him.

Cure Light Wounds (blessed touch): 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 1 = 6

She lets herself fall from kneeling to sitting. She takes her gauntlets off one-by-one, then closes her eyes and begins massaging her sinuses and the bridge of her nose. She waits to see Raj stir, then motions for him to stand down. "So, One and Two, what do you want to know? What can we tell you to get you to believe us?" Suddenly remembering something, she takes off her backpack and pulls out the little leader of the blue creatures. "Here's the leader of those little blue things. At least, he's the one who was giving orders."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The two celedons exchange looks as Marya produces a blue creature from her backpack. One nods, pointing at it. "I saw a blue streak running around, it was likely that mite that she is holding there."

Two studies the mite and looks to Marya "Alright. Say you are not with the mites and attempting to rob Roslar of his possessions, what are you doing inside of his tomb and how did you get past us? One of us has been stationed by this door at all times."


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya throws her hands up. "F*~$ if I know what we're doing here. We are as confused and looking for answers as you are." She twirls her finger around above her head to indicate everyone. "Last we all remembered, we were in Roslar's Coffer, then we woke up here. Hells, we barely knew each other before this, if at all." She moves to massaging her temples, trying to focus on keeping her breathing under control so she stays calm. "We don't even know where this tomb is. Anything you can tell us about where we are or whose a&++$%@ we're up would be helpful."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj puts his weapons down and winces as he slides to the floor, grateful for the respite. Marya's magic smooths out the pain etching his face. By the time her spell is finished, the rogue is nearly healed - only superficial scars remain of his horrific injuries. The cessation of pain teases a smile from him. He tacks his own thoughts on to Marya's.

"We all fell asleep in diff'rent spots in town. We woke up in the coffins of the Red Shrikes with all our gear. Their skeletons were nowhere to be seen. And if you look at the busts of the Shrikes, their faces look kinda like ours. You may know more about this sort o' thing but maybe we're, I dunno, spirit-linked, or reincarnated, or somethin' like that?"


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian breathes out in relief as the celedons cease their hostilities and Rajuna is brought back from the brink of death. He puts his bow down as he waits for their verdict, looking at Vlad expectantly - of the group, he had been the only one to actually strike the divine guardians, and should he continue doing so their efforts at a peaceful resolution would be undone.

He doesn't have much to add to Marya's and Rajuna's words; they had taken some things from the tomb, but with the intention to put them back once they were safe and knew more of the situation, and he is certain that his comrades will honour that intention. One thing remains, though...

"The gem. The one that holds the wraith, it is cracked. Its protection is weakening. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it..."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Feena felt relief when the Celedons backed down and gave them a chance to explain. She stepped back from the one she was next to and said, "I think they've covered everything fairly well. If you would like further proof the spell I have in my hand allows me to share knowledge with the recipient. I don't know if it would even work on you but if you are willing to let me touch you to try it I will." There was no attempt at deceit in her voice but it was obvious she was very nervous about approaching one of the recently hostile guardians.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The celedons listen to the torrent of explanations from the party before exchanging glances again. Two turns to One and volunteers "I will go check with Three. I intend to return immediately. If I'm not back in five minutes or less, something has gone wrong."

The injured Two takes off towards the west, deeper into the tomb while one holds a hand out to stop Feena. "No. Let us wait on Two's return."

To Damian, One nods. "Two has spoken of this, but we do not believe there is anything to fear. That creature has been trapped for so long that we believe if the gem were to break the creature would die as a result of it."

To Rajuna the celedon expresses shock and outrage at the mention of the coffins being empty. "Sure you jest. It seems highly unlikely that the mite invasion also managed to remove all of the bodies of the inhabitants of the tomb!"

To Marya the celedon answers flatly "But it sounds like you are already know where you are, in Roslar's tomb of course! I do not understand why you say you don't know where you are? As to why the mites are invading, we suspect they are trying to loot the tomb. It happens from time to time and we usually repel the sole intruder, but never has a group this sized approached."

"If Two returns and confirms your claims, then we are in debt to you for assisting in repelling the attack and you will be free to go."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj can only shrug at the Celedon's outburst and stays seated on the floor. "We didn't see any remains, it's all I can say. Moreover, there was more than mites attacking the tomb. There were large beetles, osto-vites..." he stumbles over the unfamiliar word, "and some sort of stinking cobra skeleton. There is a hole in the wall in the room with Abdell's remains. Seems, at least, that's how the ostovites got in."

After a moment's consideration, he adds, "When we appeared in the Red Shrikes' coffins, they were sealed. We had to push our way out... so it doesn't seem like they had been disturbed by any of the creatures... unlike some of the other coffins we saw."

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 31/33 [37/39 Rage] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad lowers his weapon, not having much to add to the explanation the others have given.

"I doubt we are reincarnated," he says to Raj, who had given that explanation. I feel completely myself, I look completely myself, and I feel more alive than I ever have before. Some foul magic must have put us here, though. That much is sure."[/b]


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

"I was askin' a 'what-if'. I don't have the answer." He frowns as he continues to think through the angles. "I'm not lookin' to argue but I'm gonna disagree with you on one point - I think this could just as easily be holy as unholy magic what brought us here. And, to be honest, I'm inclinin' towards holy. Evil is logical, has goals, and it always has an endgame. I don't see any of that here that makes any sense. If they wanted this tomb wrecked and can teleport a half dozen people in... why us? Why not some real bad folks, cultists or the like who will do the job right? Why put us in coffins of folks that look like us? How does that help evil? And if they wanted us killed by celedons or whatever... why arm us? Better yet, why not just cut our throats after putting us to sleep and be done with it? To me this reads more as a trial of worth not some evil plot. You think as you like but I'm withholdin' judgement on who put us here and why."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

One listens to Rajuna talk, but does not respond to anything he says. It simply waits for Two to return to determine whether they continue their assault or set you free.

Three minutes later, Two returns. He moves up towards One and nods. "It is as they have spoken. There is much to do."

One nods and looks towards the door. "Whatever your mystery is that has brought you here, we have no answers. We will open the doors and set you free where you hopefully you will find what it is that you seek."

One moves to the large double doors and unlocks them, opening up three separate locks. It yanks hard on the door and pulls it open, ushering you out of the tomb. They do not seem to hold any further interest in why you are here, only that you do not belong. "Please, be on your way now. We have a lot to address."

Once you've left the the tomb, the door shuts and you can hear the sounds of it locking again behind you.

The landscape outside the tomb is bathed in grim moonlight. Dead trees adorn pale, rolling hills, each of which is covered with gravestones that march away to the dark horizon. The moon above is impossibly large and looks down upon you as a glowering skull.

DC 10 Knowledge (planes):
You recognize these surroundings as part of the Boneyard, the plane where souls who have died go to be judged and receive their eternal rewards.


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Despite the grim surroundings, Rajuna breathes easier in the fresh air. He looks around carefully. "I didn't check a map. Any idea where the town is?"

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 Looking for any sign of habitation - lights, smell of smoke, a big neon sign saying 'this way'.


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

"Thank you. We appreciate your understanding."

Marya stands back up and restraps on her shield and draws her sword once more. She smiles as she turns to Raj to take up his philosophical question while they walk outside. "Now, I'm going to have to disagree with you on one point there. Evil is no more logical or goal-oriented than good, and anyone that tells you otherwise is low-key trying to sell you on evil, whether they believe it or not. Now, I think if you consi--"

She immediately cuts herself off as she walks outside her eyes grow wide at the surroundings, particularly the moon, a moon of which there is only one like it in the whole multiverse.

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Her hands clench around the hilt of her sword and the handle of her shield. "Gods f%&#ing damn it f!$$ing s&~@ holy god of f+$! me what the hells F~%#ING S$%$." She falls down to her knees, her hanging low as she props herself up by her sword. "This all just got infinitely more complicated." She looks back to her companions. "We're in the gods f%#+ing Boneyard."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj was about to enjoy a plucky retort when he watches Marya drop to the ground, poleaxed by the reality of the situation. It takes him a long moment to catch up.

"Well, yeah, we're in a boneyard - look at all the tombstones! Wait... THE Boneyard? Like Pharasma's unmentionables drawer?" He does a slow circle, reassessing, well, everything. "Bugger me with a broomstick! So, what, we all died in our sleep?"

He shakes his head emphatically, "No. Dying in my sleep is NOT how I'm going out." He sprints to the nearest tombstones and starts looking for names, dates, details, anything.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 31/33 [37/39 Rage] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad had been considering Raj's arguments that they might be in some kind of state other than their typical life--he had considered that this might be a dream or vision, or some test Iomedae had placed that he might prove his strength.

But one thing he hadn't truly thought of--

Death?

"Do you mean to say--we're dead?" he asks Marya, hardly daring to believe it.


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya takes a few moments to work on her breathing. She had been considering this possibility ever since she heard the mention of psychopomps. She tries to ground herself, taking inventory of everything she is feeling and sensing one-by-one to keep herself focused and present. She finally takes a deep breath and stands up. Her face calms and she stops trembling as she begins to think rationally again.

"We still have our bodies. We still bleed and breath and talk. We are still healed by positive energy and hurt by negative energy. We all seem to have some sort of negative enery resistance, but that could just be a planar trait of the Boneyard I'm not familiar with. The simplest explanation is that something used some sort of planar travel spell to move us here. And we are still alive."

Knowledge (planes) about the Boneyard's planar traits: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Guess she doesn't remember >_<


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Feena nodded in acceptance of the Celedaon's refusal and said, "Alright then." She moved over to her companions and listened to the discussion. She was rather surprised at rajuna's description of evil and was about to voice her disagreement when Marya beat her too it. "She's right Rajuna, the kind of evil you describe is the regimented evil of Hell. There are also some who just want to see the world burn and those who just want to corrupt everything by any means possible."

When Two returned and confirmed their story Feena felt a wash of relief. She was sure that it would but she was still nervous about the outcome. She looked around at the surrounding landscape and found it more than a bit strange. There were all those tombs, and than freaky moon in the sky, and she realized that she couldn't possibly be anywhere on Golarian.
Knowledge (planes) (max 10): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Feena knew where they were at nearly the same time and Marya and paled at the implications. "No Rajuna," Feena said, "we're not in a boneyard it is The Boneyard." She sighed, "We are on Pharasma's plane and we really shouldn't be." Feena was very afraid now as she was sure they had no reason to have ended up here. She was pretty sure they hadn't traveled here as a soul and she asked Marya, "Are there some kind of outsiders that serve Pharasma that we could speak with? Maybe they could help us figure out what has happened and return home?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Yes, this was definitely not Roslar's Coffer, or anywhere near it. The graveyard in his home town was much smaller, for one. Although there had been a point, right after the raid, when it had felt like everyone was dead, the whole world slaughtered and resting uneasily under blood-smeared tombstones, with ash raining down to choke it all.

... dead? Damian doesn't feel dead. Not that he knows what dead feels like, and that's a thought, maybe he is dead and hasn't fully passed on, maybe he's a ghost that's right now haunting that little inn room where he fell asleep with Norri, and Damian almost giggles hysterically - just imagine Norri's face when he wakes up and sees a ghost, oh gosh, he's going to scold me for dying on him, haha, ghost, gosh, that's funny.

Damian does start giggling then, and stops abruptly as another thought occurs to him. If they were in the Boneyard...

"Dragoslav? Dragoslav?!"

He runs to the nearest row of tombstones, like Rajuna searching for names - although in his case it is a particular name, just one, yes, that's it, just one name, not two, not three. Oh gods, not three.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya trudges after Damian. "Damian? Damian." She shakes her head at herself as she remembers his curse. She places a hand on his shoulder. If he doesn't turn, she pulls him to look at her. Her voice is quiet, slow, and steady. Anything else, and Marya would break down, too. "Damian, do you want to feel Dragoslav's hair in your hands again? Do you want to feel the warmth of his body next to yours? Then you need to keep it together."

Marya feels tears in her eyes, but she pushes on. She would have time to cry later. "Believe me, I really wish I could lose it right now. I wish I could storm right up to Pharasma and demand she let Hilde go. But we are the living in the land of the dead. This entire plane is designed to keep everything here dead, and to all those forces, we look the hells a lot like things that should be dead. It's already a miracle that some psychopomp that could cleave all our heads in one swing or sing our souls right out of our bodies hasn't come by."

She nods towards the rest of the group. "You see those people over there? They are counting on us. And if you lose it, then how I am supposed to stop myself from losing it, too? And that just isn't fair to them, is it?" Marya can barely get out the last few sentence. She knows none of this is fair to anyone. It's not fair to anyone here, and it's sure as hells not fair to Dragoslav and Hilde. She can't hold the sobbing back any more. "Now...look at what...you made me...." She pulls off her gauntlet and holds her face in her hand while she lets it out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian turns to look at Marya, and every one of her words is a stab to the heart. Does he want to see Dragoslav again? What kind of question is that? What he wouldn't give for, for - one more moment with him, alive, the briefest touch, even just a look, that's all, it's not much, is it?!

He is breathing heavily. They are alive? And everyone else here is dead? Is she certain? Oh gods, if there is even the slightest chance that he could get Dragoslav back... Oh. Oh no. Norri. He would have to choose, and he knows what choice he would make, in a heartbeat, and- and- ... and as she says, it's not fair to the living. It's not fair.

"Not fair," he mumbles as he gently, gently puts his arms around Marya and lets her sob against him.


Channel 1/5, Bolstering Touch 3/6, Seize the Initiative 1/6
Spells Remaining:
Bless, Weapons Against Evil
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya lets it all out. The tension and fear from the trials in the tomb had built up more than she thought. Ever since losing Hilde, she hadn't let herself feel much of anything. Easier that way. And falling into routine made it possible to live without reflecting. Spending all her free time reading and thinking about the theological implications of the number 11 or the order of the Acts or some other theoretical nonsense was hells of a lot easier than feeling something. Thoughts are always easier than feelings.

She finally catches her breath and wipes her eyes, now red from tears. "I'm sorry. That was manipulative and mean of me to talk about Dragoslav like that."


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian looks away briefly, then sighs.

"No. You were right. We miss them, more than life sometimes, and it feels like nothing and no-one will ever fill that empty spot, ever again. But the living are still here, and where there is life, there is potential. And part of that is the potential to heal, and to move on, even if right now it doesn't feel possible."

He takes another look at the rows upon rows of tombstones, contemplating the impossible task of reading them all. This way, he would know. He would know if his children were alive, or dead. But would he want to know? The hope he has been nurturing for twelve years was familiar and comforting, like an old sweater that you still love even though it's full of holes. He didn't know if he was ready to have that comfort yanked away.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

As you struggle to get your bearings, two creatures approach. One is a looming skeletal humanoid with large wings and a metallic jackal mask for a head. The second rides on the first one's shoulder, appearing to be a black raven wearing a porcelain mask.

Knowledge (planes) DC 12:
These creatures are psychopomps, servants of Pharasma that help usher souls to be judged. The smaller one is a nosoi, while the skeletal creature is a vanth.

"Oh, isn't this a meeting of obvious fortuitousness!" the bird says excitedly. "Here you are, and here we are. My name is Umble, and my silent companion here is named Thoot." The skeletal humanoid inclines its masked head. "We mean you no harm, despite the strange harmaments you seem to have already suffered. Yes, yes, this is the land of the dead, and no, you aren't dead yourselves. You seem to be something of a special case—you seem a touch too vitalitinous for this place."

The bird peers closely, cocking her head to one side. "Ah, there is a wonderment! Your hearts have something lodged inside them. Something that's brought you here, but kept you from doing so in the orthodoxiumous fashion. I cannot help but ruminate: what has caused your strange condition?"


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Feena gasped in fear at the two creatures that approached them. The skeleton man and the strange bird with a bare skull on it's shoulders were a terrifying sight to come across in the land of the dead. She wanted to flee in terror but the fact the two were speaking to them caught her off guard and she listened to what they had to say.

Their observations were strange and Feena decided it would be best to ask questions while they could. She stepped forward and curtsied to the two as she said, "My name is Feena and I'm curious, what are you two and what do you mean we 'have things in our hearts'?"


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Having learned nothing from the tombstones, Rajuna rejoins the majority of the group. He finds Umble and Thoot oddly reassuring, So, definitely not dead. Good start.

He inclines his head as Thoot did. "I'm Rajuna. I wish I could answer your question... but we don't know how or why we got here." As he did with the Celedons, he gives a factual recounting of their 'arrival' in the Shrikes' coffins, their strange similarities in appearance, and a general outline of the rest of the events. "We should also have a captive mite - unless we 'came' here as we left the crypt and he didn't."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

"I am Umble" says the smaller one before pointing to the jackal masked psychopomp, "And this is Thoot. As far as how you got here, that is as much a mysteriosity to us as it is to you, I assure you. The customary route is one of considerably more post-mortality than you seem to have."

When Feena asks about their hearts the creature responds "Well, it’s right there for the seeing, if you can see into your own hearts. A longitudinousness of your makeup. It’s ah... a bit of a tweak, you see."

"As for what we are, we are psychopomps, whose functionation is to guide the souls of the dead to their final rewards; we come in multiplicitous varieties, as you can see."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +1, R +3, W +3 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 1/3rnds | Spells: 1st 1/6

Feena found her fear overcome with fascination as the two talked and explained things. They were interesting, these two, and their explanation made more sense than anything else they had been able to get thus far. She started to wish she had a book and something to write with, not for the first time since this started either, and considered the pair as she began lining up questions for them.

"I guess the most important question is do you know what happened to the people in town? We haven't been able to learn anything and fear the worst about what might have happened. The second question is do you know how we can get back to Golarion?" She paused a moment and looked to her companions, the excitement at speaking to outsiders obvious on her face, "I need to write all this down," she said, "anyone got anything to write with and on?"

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 31/33 [37/39 Rage] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad steps forward, interposing himself between the group and these creatures.

These new acquaintances sorrow at our situation--but this is a test beyond all tests! A chance to grow through great pain--only I can see it. I feel stronger already.

He addresses these bizarre creatures.

"You say we are dead--so be it. That seems indisputable. We are being tested. But answer my companion's questions--what of where we came from? Did something befall our town? And how does one leave this place, aside from being escorted to an eternal reward?"

EDIT: I asked the same questions Feena did--ninja'd!


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj nudges Vlad's elbow. "You got that backwards. They're saying we are not dead. Tell me somethin', Umble, if ya know. Let's say a Celedon died in our world... would it come here? And if it did, would it know it was dead?"

He adds an afterthought on Vlad's question, "Is there someone we need to talk to about gettin' back to where we belong?" Please don't say Pharasma... Please don't say Pharasma...

451 to 500 of 1,362 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.