GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Roll 20

LOOT!


51 to 100 of 1,739 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Knowlededge History DC15:
Roslar commanded several servants and retainers, but his most elite companions composed a group of troubleshooters called the Red Shrikes.

Rajuna nearly leaps out of his skin as another sarcophagi lid slides aside as easy as a crate lid and crashes to the ground, cracking the stone. Out of the sarcophagi Varryk emerges screaming, weapon drawn.

The lights from the makeshift torch cause the shadows to jump and pull away into the far corners of the room. Only two boxes remain closed, muffled screaming coming from both as Rajuna and Vlad make their way to open the lids on both of them.

A single stone door stands closed in the western wall, no other sign of exit visible from this room full of sarcophagi. A dusty crate draped with a drop cloth sits in the corner and stores a few supplies.

The crate contains:


  • variety of driedout and useless paints
  • crowbar
  • flint and steel
  • common lamps (3)
  • hammers (2)
  • hooded lantern
  • pints of oil (8)
  • dented pewter mug.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

"Wait--" Vlad says. "I did not grow up on Roslar's Coffer, but my father and uncle did. I remember a story of Roslar-- he commanded several servants and retainers, but his most elite companions composed a group of troubleshooters called the Red Shrikes. Maybe this is their tomb. But how we got here, I have no idea."

knowledge history: 1d20 ⇒ 15

"Let's open up the rest of these," he says, then takes whatever time it takes to open the other two stone coffins.


Channel 2/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

After Vlad pries the slab off of Marya's coffin, she just lies there for a few moments, afraid that this is just a taunt and the lid would slam back down the moment she moved. As the numbness fades, she scrambles for her necklace and casts her own light spell on it. She slowly raises herself. She doesn't bother wiping her tears. She whimpers out a last, hopeful this time, "Hilde?" as her heartbeats slow down to a more healthy pace. As she sees Hilde is not there, her face hardens and she lets herself go to her instincts.

She stands and straps on her shield, checking all of her belongings to make sure she has them. "Where are we? Who is everyone?" She glances around.

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

As she recognizes the name, she begins working through her thought process out loud. "Red Shrikes...Roslar's strongest retainers. Doubt we'd see graves to them outside of The Coffer, so we have to still be nearby. Is this some little edgelord's idea of a fun prank?"


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

”I’m Varryk,” Varryk said absently, mind racing. A tomb... long-dead retainers... a cold chill went down Varryk’s spine.

”Grew up in Roslar’s Coffer... came back when it was resettled. Some of the kids call me ‘Swiftshot’ on account of the bow. I’ve some skill as an archer and huntsman. Who are all of you?”

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

When Vlad opens Marya's coffin, he's glad to see someone he recognizes, at least, and a fellow follower of Iomedae to boot.

"Perhaps we have all been drugged," he responds to her.

For those he doesn't know, he says "I'm Vlad Bloodmoon. I grew up in Vigil, for the most part, but my father Peridan and my uncle Arun Bloodmoon grew up in Roslar's Coffer," he says.

Now that the others are free, he secures his gear and looks for a way out.

"It appears there's just one door--I'll open it," he says.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

As Vlad goes to open the door, Varryk trains his bow on it.

”Careful,” he said, ”We don’t know what’s out there.”

Ready Action fo Attack the nearest enemy if anything on the other side of the door is hostile towards us


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Let's get Damian into the party.

Raj works on the one unopened coffin but it seems the initial adrenaline rush from his earlier feats of strength and being scared twice have worn off. He lacks the strength to get the job done.

He waves Vlad over and hands him the crowbar. "Give me a hand, would ya?"

STR Check: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 2 = 5 Crowbar bonus

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Yeah, I had indicated before I'd just take 10 to get everyone out--I'm hopeful we can just all be out for the party!


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

I saw that. In SL's post after that, it wasn't clear to me that he was going that route since he mentioned two still-closed coffins. I erred on the side of caution.

Rajuna considers Marya's question. In normal circumstances, he'd use one of his aliases. Hell, in strange circumstances, he'd still use an alias. And in this situation, he should continue that practice. But a maverick part of his brain that sometimes gets to his mouth before his training kicks in, decides the matter for him... and surprises him with the truth. "Rajuna. I'm a leather peddler... with other skills."

At Vlad's offer to open the door, Raj clears his throat. "Seems we're in a crypt and those are sometimes protected - traps, locks, and sich. I have some experience with things like that. You mind I if take a look first?"

He waits for the group's, especially Vlad's, decision. Stepping on people's toes wasn't ideal... but it was better than a faceful of Adamantine Wasps.

As it burns his fingers, he stubs out the remains of his ersatz torch with a curse.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad nods at Rajuna and steps aside.

"Be my guest--though I fear no pain a trap might inflict."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj nods and fishes out a set of fine tools from his pack. As Raj examines the door gently and thoroughly, he says wryly. "Not a fan of pain myself... even less a fan of a horrible death."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 +1 if a trap
Disable Device: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30 +1 if a trap


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Marya now has the light!

Once Damian has been rescued by VLAD THE STRONK, Rajuna sets to searching the door for signs of trouble. When he feels confident that this door is not trapped or will cause trouble, he slides it open. As it pushes open, dust and cobwebs tumble down from the top of the door. It's clear that this door hasn't been opened in quite osme time.

The room beyond contains several low shelves covered with rags and loose bones. A hallway extends to the southeast, while a stone door to the east is carved with the image of several heroic figures standing solemnly together.

There is no immiedate signs of danger ahead, but you can hear the south of some dragging on the floor outside of this room somewhere to the south.


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

The last to be freed from the confines of the stone box, Damian wheezes and pants as he sits up and squints against the light. "Norri?" As it registers that he is no longer in the Jig and Whistle, he looks around frantically. "Uh, has anyone seen a red-haired halfling man? NORRI!"

He climbs out, almost tripping in his confusion and disorientation. "Is... where...?" He shakes his head sharply and tries again. "Where is this? How did I get here? Who a- ah." He turns towards each of the others, one by one. "Feena, are you alright? And you - Marya, was it?" The others - the leatherworker who sold him the belt, Rajuna. The half-orc he had heard about, but hadn't spoken to - so far. And the Iomedan who had wanted to talk to Marya yesterday. Yesterday? Has it been that long?

"So, what does everyone think? We go through that door into the sunlight and two thousand years have passed, eh?" He smiles, then looks around, taking in the features of the place.

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

Seeing the others armed, he leans over the edge of his... no, wait, it could not be his sarcophagus, he wasn't dead yet. But anyway, would you look at that. His favourite bow, the one he had made from the black cherry tree. And the rest of his things. Huh.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

"Only in pain can one find enlightenment, friend," Vlad responds as he looks over Rajuna's shoulder.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

While that sarcophagus couldn't possibly be Damian's, there is a man on the front that looks strikingly like him. The beard and the hair look different, but the facial structure and cheekbones look right. Whomever is engraved on this tomb has a striking resemblance to Damian Catus.


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"Well, that is odd. What a way to discover things about your ancestry, eh? I mean, he must be family, to look so alike." Damian runs his fingers across the carved face, his expression thoughtful. "I wonder who he was." He turns to the others. "Does anyone know?"


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk purses his lips, thinking.

"I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish, and this darkness poses no difficulty for my eyes. Shall I take a look around and see if I cannot ensure the area is safe?"

Varryk also casts his eye on the coffin that he had been entombed in, curious as to what was depicted on that edifice.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Varryk finds a striking resemblance to himself on the sarcophagus. This in turn causes all of the party to check to see if they too are depicted in some fashion. Each party members fines that while not an exact replica, a close resemblance exists on each and every stone lid. Some of which are now broken into several pieces.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad frowns at the carvings on each coffin. "Someone has gone through a lot of trouble for this."

He looks at the doorway. "Strange--it seems this door hasn't been opened in some time. How did we get in there? Magic?"

Vlad couldn't deny that scouting around could have benefits. He nods at Varryk, but leaves the tiny confines of the room and takes up position outside the doorway.

"If you want to have a look around, be my guest," he says.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Vlad walks outside the room into and lets his eyes adjust to the darkness beyond. He quickly realizes that something is just around the corner and... what's that? Is something being swung at him?

As Rajuna moves out, everyone in the corridor is able to see a bone-white skeletal arm flash into doorway and rip down the center of Vlad's chest, drawing fresh blood (2 damage!). The arm disappears from sight again and everyone in the room is unsure exactly what is around the corner.

R1: Varryk, Rajuna, Damian, Damian, Vlad, Marya, Feena, Bones

Everyone in bold may act, which in this case is everyone!

GM:

Damian: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Feena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Marya: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
Rajuna: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Varryk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Vlad: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
O: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Attack!: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (18) - 3 = 15
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad smiles as he receives the wound. "Haha! Show yourself, fiend, and I'll repay the wound in kind!"

He pulls his two-handed flail from his back.

"Bring some light to bear, that I might see where to strike!" he says.

Delay until I have some light...


female human sorceress 3 | HP 4/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 6/6rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6; Activ Effects: 3 dex dmg

Feena heard the sounds of someone prying at the lid of her stone coffin and continued to scream and pound against the lid as she tried to help move it. When the lid finally came free Feena rose shakily out of the coffin and quickly climbed out before sinking to the floor in a little ball and sobbing from the fear she'd just felt. It took her some time to get past the terror and she paid little attention to what was happening around her.

When discussion finally turned to where they were and the history of the place Feena finally began to pay attention to her surroundings once more. She rose and began to dust herself off when she realized she was dressed again and her glasses were on her nose again. In her panic she hadn't noticed any of that and it was quite mysterious which helped her calm herself.

Feena, finally in control once more, looked to the others in the room with her and turned her gaze to Marya as the woman asked who they all were. Feena gave the woman a nervous smile and pushed her glasses up on the bridge of her nose better as she said, "I'm Feena and you are..." she hummed slightly as she thought, "Marya right?" Feena turned her face to Damian so he could see her lips and said, "No, I'm not alright..." she sighed and then continued, "but I will be."

Feena turned her view to the sarcophagi as people found someone similar looking back at them from the lid and her's was no exception. Feena was rather surprised at it all and she actually felt a small thrill of excitement wash through her at the thought of what they might learn down here.

With that they began to leave the small room they had been trapped in and it was with no small amount of shock that something skeletal clawed Rajuna. Feena gave a low cry of surprise but seemed to gather her resolve as she prepared to defend herself if whatever it was came after them.
Ready an action to cast a spell if we are attacked.


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk moves up to the doorway, the darkness no challenge for him, and he sees the entity that has attacked Vlad. Varryk lets loose a growl, recognizing some sort of undead abomination, and he lets loose with his bow, aiming carefully to ensure he doesn't shoot any of his allies.

As he moves, he speaks, voice somewhat altered. It is emotionless and far away, merely relaying facts.

"Looks like a skeleton. Five feet directly south of Vlad."

Attack Roll (Favored Enemy; Undead): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

~ Round 1 ~

SL, DM-y question. With the light coming from Marya, I think my low-light vision would allow me to see the baddie. Is that your take?
EDIT: Whoops! Marya wasn't in the corridor when I wrote that.

The peddler with skills hisses at the sight of the creature, whips the blade from his belt, and slashes at the monster lurking in the darkness.

MOVE: Draw dagger
STAND: Slashy!

BOOM:
STAND: MW Fang S/P (crit: 19+/2x)
MODS: none
HIT: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
DAM: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Status:
HP: 10 / 10
AC:16, T:14, FF:12


Channel 2/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya grumbles as Vlad gives his line about pain. "Really not in the mood now, kid." Then she hears the sounds of battle. "That's much more the mood." She cracks her wrists and flexes her hands and fingers to make sure they are limber.

She stomps out into the hallway and spies the bones.

Knowledge (religion) to identify: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
In the interest of saving time, I'll guess it's prob knowledge religion

Knowing from experience she isn't fast enough in battle to draw her weapon on the move, Marya falls to on old strategy she called upon often during the Reclamation. She clotheslines the bones with her shield.

Shield Bash (heavy steel shield): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Her AC will only be 15 until her next turn as she doesn't have improved shield bash, but this was the only way for her to move and attack with a 0 bab

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

I'm guessing that the skeleton's long-dead (hehe) after Varryk's blow, but if not, here's my attack. In the event the new light illuminated another target, I'll attack that, instead.

Vlad raises his heavy flail and delivers brutal punishment to all that stand in his way.

Heavy Flail: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 231d10 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
CRIT?: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


female human sorceress 3 | HP 4/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 6/6rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6; Activ Effects: 3 dex dmg

Unable to make out much of what was going on Feena moved forward closing the distance between herself and the corridor. She still couldn't see much but she was close enough to get a better view. Unfortunately there was no target for her to attack so she had to simply watch and prepare to strike when she could.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Marya and Rajuna both swipe at the creature but between being a bit out of their element having just risen from the near-dead and the rust of having to enter combat not knowing what the hell is going on, they all miss. Varryk however, unleashes an arrow that is so perfectly placed that it shatters the ancient skeleton into two pieces. Vlad is not content with a bisected skeleton however and brings his flail down upon both halves and shatters them into two dozen pieces that fly in every direction.

Marya studies the skeleton and is struck with the thought that in all likelihood, this isn't the type of creature that normally rises from the dead. She was an expert on undead skeletons and this was not one! If she had to wager a guess, she'd say that this was a puppet and someone was pulling the strings.

As the skeleton explodes in to many pieces, a tiny, skittering creature that looks like an insect made of fish bones, with a head full of glowing red eyes drops out from its torso and hits the ground. It quickly scampers to the south out of sight and into the darkness.

Knowledge Arcana DC11:
This creature is an Ostovite, a tiny abyssal scavengers that feeds on corpses.

Out of combat!

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad relaxes a bit as the skeleton falls.

"Well struck," he says to Varryk.

He glances around the room, then says "It appears there's just one way out. I will take the lead."

This is some great test from Iomedae--my chance to prove myself and make my father proud.

Raising his flail, he waits until the others are ready before proceeding to the south.

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Channel 2/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya cracks her neck and hops in place a couple times, getting her body going after that coffin being hells on her back. The normally sleepy-eyed Marya is wide-awake and alert. She’s turned on soldiering mode, which has the added benefit of making sure she doesn’t have time or mental capacity to think about any of her trauma.

”Anyways, name’s Marya Ilyinichna Belova. This looks like an extended combat situation, and I know a thing or two about those from the Reclamation in Cheliax. I’m willing to take charge here to do my best to make sure we all survive whatever the hells this is. We don’t stick together and have a plan, we will die. Feel free to blame me if something goes south, as I’m happy to take the responsibility if you listen. My specialty is making the rest of you better at what you do.”

She nods towards Bloodmoon. ”He’s gonna insist on going first, I can tell you already. It’s a paladin of Iomedae thing. He’s not one but...just go with it.”

She points to Rajuna. ”You’re a dirty fighting type, Rajuna? Figured you might be from your other skills. I’ll keep an eye out for you to warn you when battle gets near, barring extenuating cicrumstances.”

As long as Rajuna is within 30 ft and I don’t specify otherwise, assume Marya uses Seize the Initiative on him every combat to let him roll initiative twice and take the better. Sneak attack means he gets the most benefit of people being flat footed

She draws her sword. ”May sound stupid, but I know some tricks with this sword to make you all fight better.”

She steps near Feena. ”You look like a spellcaster, Ms. Feena. Best for you to stay near the middle in case of ambushes.”

She smiles at Damian, a knowing smile of their common experiences. ”I’m sure you know where you’d be best. I trust you.”

Her smile turns more cock-eyes and casual for Varryk. ”Good work with whatever that was. You are good enough with that bow I’m sure you know where to stand.”

She waves to everyone. ”One last thing for now! We need lots of light. Redudancy is best.”


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk nods his head towards Vlad.
”To you as well. I’ll move ahead a bit, see if your way is safe.”

Varryk moves ahead, again trying to move quietly, and keeping an eye out for enemies, traps and treasure.

He retrieves his arrow before he moves away.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Marya - I've made a note in my inti macro to account for Seize the Initiative. I'll assume it is as you state unless otherwise noted.

Since you are handing out placements, what should be your standard marching order?

Vlad takes note that the room is dark without light and that is all.

Rajuna motions to a shelf that has several objects buried underneath a pile of rags. A masterwork heavy mace sits adjacent to three pearls.

Appraise DC20:
They are each worth 20gp.

Varryk quickly moves south, looking out for the tiny creature that scuttled away. he moves past a small alcove on the east wall that contains a few stone shelves stocked with items.

Those taking the time to search them:
A dozen candles, a silver holy symbol of Aroden, a wooden wand with cyan water drop inlays, five vials with a maroon liquid encase inside and a healer's kit.

Moving past the supply room, the silent ranger moves to the edge of the doorway which leads into a very large chamber. The marble walls of this large hall are carved with several images of battle, each featuring a knight astride a lean horse. The knight wears no helmet and has long hair and a wide mustache. In each of the images, the knight is charging at undead horrors with a rapier in hand.

Sprawled in the center of this room is a human-sized metal figure that resembles a skeleton wrapped in robes. The limbs of the figure are askew and melted, as though with acid.

Two halls lead out of the western portion of this room, one to the north that you are in and one to the south on the opposite side. Varryk see an open doorway in the southeasst and notes that there is more to the room to be seen, but not from his current location.

GM:

Perception: Damian: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9 Deaf.
Perception: Feena: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Perception: Marya: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Perception: Rajuna: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Perception: Varryk: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Perception: Vlad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20


Channel 2/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

@GM thanks. I know reroll abilities are wonky in PbP so I figure this makes it easier on you for the time being

If people want to listen to Marya, she’d suggest:
Front

Rajuna (for traps)
Vlad
Varryk
Feema
Marya
Damian

Back

She just had a feeling Vlad would insist on going first cause of Iomedae’s paladin code, which he quoted earlier. “First into battle and last to leave it”

Marya holds up a halting hand as she thinks of one last thing. ”Oh, also Damian is deaf so make sure you face him when you want him to hear.”

She carefully checks each of the shelves thoroughly, not wanting to miss anything potentially useful.

Appraise Untrained: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

She raises an eyebrow at the acid-burned skeleton thing. ”Oh fun. Metal acid skeletons. Bodes well. Anyone here good with acid?”


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

While Marya speaks, Rajuna watches her as he takes the time to attach his dagger into some sort of spring-loaded contraption strapped to his arm, then loosens the dagger in his belt instead. He raises an eyebrow when she asks or asserts that he's a 'dirty' fighter, throws a crooked grin when she offers to look out for him, then raises a dissenting finger.

"I don't fight dirty. I fight to win." He continues, "You wanna lead this show? No objections. But in the spirit of cooperatin'..." He hefts his pack with effort. "When I'm not peddling, most of this gear stays behind. It's slowing me down - and that ain't good. Anybody able to carry a couple pieces of gear for me - leather working tools and a grappling hook?" (With all my gear, I'm at medium encumbrance which really impacts me)

"If ya want more light, there was some oil, lamps, and maybe some other useful gear in the coffin room." He passes a keen eye over the shelved goods and scoops up the pearls. "These are worth about 20 gold each. I'd like to carry one, it may come in handy." He offers the other two around.

"Any of you able to spot a magicked item? There's a stick and some bottles here that look odd."

Appraise: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad looks askance at Marya, once again unsure if she was putting him down or just--blunt.

Still, he shrugs.

"I do not care who orders our tactics, and you seem to have a mind for it."

Thinking of her suggestions, he says "I will not be so foolish as to dismiss the need for scouting. But none will steal my share of the glory in battle, I promise you that."

As they inventory the small storage room, he says "Someone would do well to utilize that mace. It is of fine quality, and could prove of use."


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7
Vlad the Heretic wrote:
"Someone would do well to utilize that mace. It is of fine quality, and could prove of use."

"T'would be better against the bone patrol than a dagger... but I'm carryin' enough gear already."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 4/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 6/6rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6; Activ Effects: 3 dex dmg

Feena was startled when the fighting ended so abruptly and wondered if it was always like this. The most peculiar thing was what came out of the skeleton when it crumbled.
Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
As the thing scuttled away the lovely librarian realized what it was and said, "That thing was an Ostovoi, an abyssal creature that feeds on the dead. We should be very wary of any corpses we find in here as there could be more of them. Sadly I don't know much more about the things so no idea on how to fight them."

As Marya began to organize them Feena nodded and said, "You are correct I am a sorceress as well as a librarian. I think it might be worth finding out what we each can do to better help fight any foes as a team." She smiled and then chanted and gestured summoning a quartet of lights that bobbed and weaved around them and said, "Among my talents I can summon up these lights. They won't last for too long but I can keep summoning them whenever they go out and unlike a torch or simple light spell I can move them around to more readily illuminate our surroundings or certain things and maybe to even trick ambushers into attacking early if we see them coming." She considered what else she might be able to bring to their survival and said, "I have a fair bit of knowledge on magic and I can do something interesting with my fire magics. I can use my fire spells to heal us if we become injured."

I cast dancing lights and it can be assumed I will continue to do so as needed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Channel 2/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 2/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya gives a tired shrug to Rajuna's comment. "Call it whatever you want Raj--Raj okay?--important thing is you care more about people being surprised. Either way, I can stick your things in my backpack.Already slowed down by the armor so it shouldn't make much of a difference."

She quickly gathers the items from the crate and considers whether to light the lantern now or leave it.

She gives Vlad a thumbs up. "You do your thing and we'll try to keep you alive through doing it. Just don't go overboard 'cause we got resources to manage. I need to use a longsword or my fancy sword waving doesn't work, so no thanks on the mace. Also, remind me to bring up St. Septima's Dialogues on the Acts when we are in a better postion. Her definition of 'glory' in the context of Iomedae's faith is relevant."

As Marya listens to Feena, she cannot restrain a sigh of relief and the sound of more light sources. She puts the lantern away, figuring it would be better off saving for emergencies.

"That sounds perfect. More light is always good. Always good. Never want to run out of light. Fire is good, too. Never got to use it back in the Reclamation. Too many devils."

Her voice wavers and she trembles. It's obvious to anyone paying attention she has some issues with being in the dark.

"I can also heal, magically and otherwise. If any of you are pregnant, I can help with that, too." She pushes out a nervous laugh, trying her hardest to lighten the mood. "They don't let you out of Pharasmin seminary without learning it."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Feena - I created four dancing lights for you in Roll20 and gave each a torch light quality. They are yours to move around and position as you like.

Detect Magic + Spellcraft DC16:
The wand is a wand of create water with 28 charges remaining.

Detect Magic + Spellcraft DC16 x3:
A potion of cure light wounds.

As most of you PCs hail from Roslar’s Coffer, you know that Roslar was a paladin of the Knights of Ozem. Roslar participated in the Shining Crusade almost 1,000 years ago, where he died a hero. You may also know additional things about Roslar:

DC 15 Knowledge (history) or Knowledge (religion):
Roslar was enamored with Arazni, the angelic Red Crusader, herald of Aroden and patron saint of the Knights of Ozem.

DC 18 Knowledge (history) or Knowledge (religion):
You also recall that a cloud of scandal hung over Roslar after his heroic death.

DC 25 Knowledge (history) or Knowledge (religion):
You also recall that Abdell was Roslar’s favorite horse.

As Feena casts light into the next room, you can begin to see the carvings on the wall more clearly. Anyone who examine the carvings will take note that of in addition to mortal companions, a slender, winged woman with a heart-shaped face and long hair, looking down benevolently on Roslar.

DC 15 Knowledge (planes) or Knowledge (religion):
The woamn depicted here is clearly Arazni. You also recall how, late in the Shining Crusade, the Whispering Tyrant captured and killed Arazni, and that she was later animated as a lich bride by the evil ghost wizard Geb during the failed Second Crusade.

The metal figure in the center of the room may look familiar to some of you.

Knowledge Arcana DC11:
This metallic sculpture of an idealized humanoid figure used to sparkle with divine luster, but has since been mutilated and defaced. Previously this was a celedon, an automaton serving as a worshiper and caretaker. Not all deities trust their worship to the care of fickle, short-lived mortals. When it comes to their most sacred sites, many gods entrust the duty of caretaker to celedons, immortal automatons of perfect faith.

Varryk/Marya:
It's nearly impossible to see, but one of Feena's lights outlines the shadow of the ostovite that fled the north room only moments ago. It looks like two of them are hiding among the remains of the mutilated statue.

In addition, the mutilated statue is holding a short sword with the spiraling comet symbol of Pharasma in its broken hand.

* * *
Once you enter the next room:

The eastern half of the room because visible to you now. Three large archways lead out of the room to the east. The archway to the northeast is carved with the words “At My Right Hand, Peace for Years of Righteous Labors”; the archway to the east is carved with the words, “Roslar: Hero and Paladin at His Well-Earned Rest;” and the archway to the southeast reads, “Loyal Abdell, Support Thy Master Always.”

GM:

Perception: Damian: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12 Deaf.
Perception: Feena: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Perception: Marya: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Perception: Rajuna: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Perception: Varryk: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Perception: Vlad: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk makes a hissing sound, then motions to the party to fall into a formation.
”More of them!”, he whispers, subtly indicating the ostovites.

”I’ll wait to shoot until you’re ready to move in,” he whispered calmly.

Ready Action to shoot the nearest ostovite when Vlad or Raj moves in


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

Varryk also notes the mace, recommending that Raj use it if possible. If no one else is skilled in it’s use he will volunteer to take it to use against undead resistant to cutting weapons.


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

I wouldn't mind taking the mace as an alternate weapon (until we sell it). But the viability of that really depends on how seriously SL takes encumbrance. To take on an 8 lbs. mace, I'd need to offload even more gear on other characters. If he's willing to waive weights - within reason obviously - then I'll take it.

Raj leaves the historical knowledge of Roslar's Coffer and dweomercraft to the experts and focuses on what he can do... stalking demonic bugs. He proceeds cautiously into the room, dagger ready. He looks for traps near the statue as well as the bugs' hiding spots.

Perception (Trap): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Things are happening so fast that Damian is having trouble keeping up. One moment they are examining the carvings on the stone... well, call them coffins, for that's what they are - the next, some sort of commotion beyond the doorway, the others drawing their weapons, and when he steps out to look a fresh pile of bones is lying on the floor with one of Varryk's arrows stuck in a vertebrae.

"Extended combat situation"? Damian blinks, and hurriedly strings his bow, his movements almost automated from years of practice. As Marya takes up the role of leader and tactician, he finds himself falling back on his old training and routines. He was never good at the front - too small and weak to hold a shield wall, unable to hear commands given from where he cannot see - but at the back with a bow, that he can manage. Wary of being surprised from behind, he keeps glancing over his shoulder and keeping close to Feena and her magical lights. Huh, didn't know she could do this. They are very pretty, her lights.

They pass what looks to be a storage nook of some kind, but Damian doesn't take anything; it feels too much like grave robbing. The lantern and lamps they found in the chest, sure, they need some light sources in this place, but the rest look like precious possessions that followed those interred here. And speaking of, whose tomb is this? Are they in Roslar's tomb?

Knowledge religion for Roslar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Knowledge religion for the woman: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

He had never been too interested in that particular piece of history, and his rememberings are too vague to be trusted, but Marya and Vlad at least should have a fair idea about all this, as they seem to have studied the topic. And Vlad has a family connection to it, does he not?

Dismissing his own musings, Damian turns to survey their rear, then again eyes up front, trying to see beyond his companions into the room beyond.

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16


female human sorceress 3 | HP 4/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 6/6rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6; Activ Effects: 3 dex dmg

Missed the fact you asked about magicky items Rajuna.
Feena nodded in response to Arjuna when he asked if she could identify magical items and said, "Yes, I can." She cast a quick spell and focused on each of the items in question as she studied any magic surrounding them.
Spellcraft on single item: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Now the other three things.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
When she had finished she said, "Well, this one," she held up the stick, "is a wand containing the create water spell and it looks like it has around twenty eight charges left to it. This one," she pointed to the second liquid filled container, "Is a potion of cure light wounds. I'm not too sure about these two," she pointed to the other two vials, "they might be more of the same or they could be something entirely different. Logic would imply that since they are together and look almost identical they probably are the same thing but it's up to you to choose to risk it or not."

As they moved into the next room Feena found herself at a loss for all the statues. She made sure to pay attention to what was said about them and it drew her attention to one of the figures. Her suspicions aroused she studeied it closely.
Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Feena gasped in surprise as she recognized what it was and said quietly, "That's a Celedon, an immortal automoton of perfect faith that gods use to guard their most sacred of sights. I'm not entirely sure if it is real or simply a sculpture of one but we need to be extremely careful around it."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 4/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 6/6rnds | Spells: 1st 4/6; Activ Effects: 3 dex dmg

Missed the fact you asked about magicky items Rajuna.
Feena nodded in response to Arjuna when he asked if she could identify magical items and said, "Yes, I can." She cast a quick spell and focused on each of the items in question as she studied any magic surrounding them.
Spellcraft on single item: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Now the other three things.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
When she had finished she said, "Well, this one," she held up the stick, "is a wand containing the create water spell and it looks like it has around twenty eight charges left to it. This one," she pointed to the second liquid filled container, "Is a potion of cure light wounds. I'm not too sure about these two," she pointed to the other two vials, "they might be more of the same or they could be something entirely different. Logic would imply that since they are together and look almost identical they probably are the same thing but it's up to you to choose to risk it or not."

As they moved into the next room Feena found herself at a loss for all the statues. She made sure to pay attention to what was said about them and it drew her attention to one of the figures. Her suspicions aroused she studied it closely.
Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Feena gasped in surprise as she recognized what it was and said quietly, "That's a Celedon, an immortal automaton of perfect faith that gods use to guard their most sacred of sights. I'm not entirely sure if it is real or simply a sculpture of one but we need to be extremely careful around it."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Damian lights a latern and hangs it from his belt, granting additional light in the rear of the party.

Rajuna moves into the next room, taking position in the western center facing the melted celedon. The ostovite that Varryk identified is still hidden from his sight. If it is indeed there, it doesn't make any movement or reveal itself to him.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad tries to take in everything his companions have said about this place. Facts he's heard from stories about Roslar remain just out of reach.

"Let's not bother the Celedon, or desecrate any holy things here. I suppose we should also stay clear of it."

Looking at the four doorways out of the room, he says "Should we try the one straight ahead?" i.e. southwest?

The map is still blowing my mind...

I know I had said my father was buried in Roslar's Tomb, though I understand that is the name of the entire cemetery complex. In my story, I had visited his grave in the last few days (before this craziness). I don't recognize anything as something I've seen previously, do I?

knowledge religion: 1d20 ⇒ 14


Init +4 Perception +7 Male Half-Orc Ranger (Infiltrator) 1 HP 11 | AC 18 Touch 14 FF 14 | Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +4 | Orcish Hornbow +5 (2d6/x3/80 feet) | Greatsword +2 (2d6+1/19-20)

"Aye, I've no interest in disturbing holy guardians. Feena, can you take a look at this short sword here? Is it magical?"


HP:16 | AC:16 ; T:14 ; FF:12 ; CMD:16 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+4 | Init:+4 ; PER:+7

Raj keeps his eye on the cele-whatchamacallit and hidden bugs. Over his shoulder, he says, "Those bugs only go for the dead, right? They'd leave us alone?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Roslar's tomb has long been neglected in town. It's been centuries since it's been kept up with and the town more or less ignores it. The entrance is grown over and no one actually enters it. If you had visited the tomb in town you would have found debris, defacement and looting all having had previously taken place. There was some controversy surrounding Roslar's death centuries ago and since then people just pretend it doesn't even exist. Those entombed with Roslar's tomb are Roslar and the Red Shrikes only. Other knights of Ozem would be buried in a special section outside of the tomb in the boneyard, that's likely where your father is. The area in the bonyard is actually well kept and maintained, unlike the tomb itself.

The party slowly trickles into the large room, spreading out. Vlad moves behind Rajuna on the western wall while Marya moves northeast to the northern arch. As she looks north she sees a 20'x25' room with several long stone slabs that line the walls like shelves. The shelves are pitted with acid and contain scraps of old cloth. A few chunks of bone litter the floor.

51 to 100 of 1,739 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.